The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2023, 06:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Gonna be a hot one today. No working outside, I have to take Mom to the doctor. It's a follow up for her surgery.

Slow this morning, the robot is broke again.

Not much else to report. Hump Day. If only. Last week seemed to go fast. This week is going slow. Not a short week anymore. The lead couldn't get enough people to work Saturday so we're working Friday instead. I can't see how he isn't going to get a lot of backlash for any of it. A holiday weekend and he's trying to mess with us.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old April 5th, 2023, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Wow, thunder and lightning sumptin' fierce last night. Luckily Buddy doesn't care much. He growled at the lightning but the booming he didn't even flinch. Sure sounds like Monte won't get over it.
Greg - Thank your lucky stars Buddy tolerates storms well. That next front got here at 0800 as predicted and is still going strong right now and Monty's in a panting frenzy. That storm that went through here at 0400 spawned a tornado that was on the ground only 85-miles S/SW of us and killed some number of folks near the little town of Marble Hill. They were just showing it on a National News Channel. Scary stuff!!!
Old April 5th, 2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Gonna be a hot one today. No working outside, I have to take Mom to the doctor. It's a follow up for her surgery.
Mike - Hope your Mom gets a good report from her doctor! Storms have moved past us here now and the sky's getting lighter. Pretty hairy here for awhile this morning, a couple of different times.
Old April 5th, 2023, 12:28 PM

Chris, a little hail southeast of me. The Hastings area, I believe.
Old April 5th, 2023, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, a little hail southeast of me. The Hastings area, I believe.
Wow, now that's some hail!
Old April 5th, 2023, 12:40 PM

That storm blew through here yesterday with extremely strong winds, as in 70 MPH up in the high country. Snow in Flagstaff and 39ºF on my back yard thermometer this morning. Unfortunately, the jet stream is moving north and a high pressure system will move in. The forecast for Easter is 90+ degrees, and it goes up from there.

Old April 5th, 2023, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That storm blew through here yesterday with extremely strong winds, as in 70 MPH up in the high country. Snow in Flagstaff and 39ºF on my back yard thermometer this morning. Unfortunately, the jet stream is moving north and a high pressure system will move in. The forecast for Easter is 90+ degrees, and it goes up from there.
Kenneth - That's a wild swing in the span of a week, from morning low of 39° to a high of +90°! That's a real scenario of going straight from Winter to Summer.
Old April 5th, 2023, 02:53 PM

Got sun burned slightly at a one o'clock funeral Crazy weather
Old April 6th, 2023, 04:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I think we will bypass the rain for the most part today. But it's going to rain like a mother tomorrow and over the weekend.

My penultimate bad wall guy is gone and I have my premier wall guy back for today and tomorrow. We are doing great. Also the lead isn't here so things will go smoothly. This kind of makes me mad. He switches back and forth all week about working Friday or not and then says we are working Friday, instead of taking the long holiday weekend, and then he takes off. That's about a dick right there.

This afternoon Mom and I are going to check out a 2012 Cadillac SRX. Not the sort of car I'd buy for myself, but I think it will be a good car for us to ride around in, and take a trip to Orlando if we want to.

Dan that makes me twitch. Although, we had hail like that some years ago and with everything I had insured I made out like a bandit. And got a new roof out of the deal and I needed a new roof anyway. Honestly, I would have rather not gone through the whole deal.

One good thing about working tomorrow is that gives me an extra day to take off. And it's gonna rain so what would I do. Well, Awful house and my airport of course. I'll get in Awful house anyway.

Okay hope everyone has a good one.

Old April 6th, 2023, 06:11 AM

Good morning everyone.
He switches back and forth all week about working Friday or not and then says we are working Friday, instead of taking the long holiday weekend, and then he takes off. That's about a dick right there.
^^^x2^^^, and good luck with the Caddy, I hope it turns out to be a decent deal.
Old April 6th, 2023, 03:38 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...otel-room.html Mike I sure hope the Caddy isn't in Boston
Old April 6th, 2023, 06:16 PM

Sometimes you just have to sit back in wonder! Hope everyone has a great evening.
Old April 7th, 2023, 01:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good 4oclock everyone.

Well we got the deal done. The car was very nice, and Mom loved it. So it came home with us. It has several doodads that need to be tweeked or adjusted or plain turned off. I'll have to study the owners manual this weekend.

It was nice at my house this morning but ran into a downpour on the way to work. So here I am standing in the rain trying to figure out why the doors won't lock. I won't melt. But I hate rain. I don't know if any of you know that.

Jamesbo that is rather scary. What's the deal with the shower? Don't give the right answer and they drench you? And it was a training exercise. That guy should sue the hell out of them.

Surprise of all surprises. The lead is back. Why would he take a day, then come back a day, then be off the weekend? That's okay, he's still a dick.

Okay Happy Good Friday to you all. I know what Jamesbo is gonna say. Amen.

Old April 7th, 2023, 05:11 AM

Heading Norte
Old April 7th, 2023, 05:34 AM

Good morning guys,

Mike - Congrats on getting the Caddy, hope you and your Mom get alot of enjoyment out of it!

Jim - Safe travels Norte.

Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday weekend.

Old April 7th, 2023, 06:23 AM

Hey guys,

For anyone who's interested in seeing the progress of the construction going on behind me, here is a quick update. The 1st pic shows a crew of 6 working over there right now doing sub-floor (almost done) and started framing. In the 2nd pic the Construction Foreman is keeping a sharp eye on them and cracking the whip!

Old April 7th, 2023, 07:41 AM
Always room for one more

That was the wrong first wall to put up. Now the workers will spend the whole time looking out the window. No walkout basement for those people. Is that going to be an egress window there in the back corner?

We are closing in on finishing up. Then we can sit. Eh, we go home at noon so not too much time to sit. This will be the first time for the new car to go to Awful house, with me anyway. It's from Florida, so it's probably been plenty of times.

The rain stopped soon after I got to work, and it's been cloudy all day and 60. Rain coming this evening.

Wonder if I'll get my truck back tonight. Day 9.

Old April 7th, 2023, 07:54 AM

No walkout basement for those people. Is that going to be an egress window there in the back corner?
Yes, that will be for egress, required by code. Most I have seen around here are secure doors vs. windows though.

Sure hope you get your truck back for the weekend. That situation is getting ridiculous.
Old April 7th, 2023, 12:46 PM
Running On Empty

Hmmm....I would have sworn I saw a door frame opening in the corner of the foundation when after they poured?
Old April 7th, 2023, 12:53 PM
Running On Empty

I wonder what this opening is used for?

Old April 7th, 2023, 12:58 PM
Running On Empty

Doh! Moving so fast I didn't see the opening with the aluminum enclosure at the same spot; or, I've lost my mind (most likely).
Old April 7th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Norm, the egress window or door. In Mi. they have to be a minimum of 40" high. There will likely be a small set of steps in the well where the galvanized metal framing is located.
Old April 7th, 2023, 01:01 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Yes, understand. Hell, I didn't even see the image with the bloody galvanized enclosure. I'm living a Space Odyssey today.
Old April 7th, 2023, 01:25 PM
Running On Empty

Wonder if I'll get my truck back tonight. Day 9.

Old April 7th, 2023, 01:53 PM

I'm not even gonna comment.

Old April 7th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Always room for one more

Big surprise, no truck. I did see they were working on it when I went past this afternoon. I hope he hasn't gotten a couple inept people working on it, or I'll have to take to another mechanic to check out their work. A courtesy call of, we still aren't done because..., would go a long way.

Weather says it's going to storm at 6pm. Funny, it's 605 and partly cloudy. Hey if the rain skipped us all weekend I'd do a happy dance.

Not a school night. The lead I think threatened us when it was time to leave. He said the foreman will be back next week and there will be a discussion about Saturdays. Not enough people are volunteering and he thinks that will scare us into going in. Heck, if people wanted to go in they would. What's this going to do. We've been threatened with a second shift for years, I hope they do it.

Old April 7th, 2023, 04:53 PM

Big progress since this morning, they're moving out on this puppy!

Old April 8th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Gloomy. Dank. Spitting rain and I don't know where it goes from here. So far everything the weather thing said yesterday is wrong.

My new car has rain sensing wipers. They will swipe automatically and the harder it rains the faster they go. I wonder how it knows.

Chris you'll have new neighbors in no time. This must be someone who wanted the lot and is building themselves. Or does the original builder own all the lots and new people go to them?

Since it's raining I'll be doing laundry and puttering around in the house. Some exciting day. I might call in Monday, it's supposed to be nice up until Thursday. Heck I could call in all week.

Okay gonna have some lunch and see what's what. Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Old April 8th, 2023, 08:33 AM

Big surprise, no truck. I did see they were working on it when I went past this afternoon. I hope he hasn't gotten a couple inept people working on it, or I'll have to take to another mechanic to check out their work. A courtesy call of, we still aren't done because..., would go a long way.

Weather says it's going to storm at 6pm. Funny, it's 605 and partly cloudy. Hey if the rain skipped us all weekend I'd do a happy dance.

Not a school night. The lead I think threatened us when it was time to leave. He said the foreman will be back next week and there will be a discussion about Saturdays. Not enough people are volunteering and he thinks that will scare us into going in. Heck, if people wanted to go in they would. What's this going to do. We've been threatened with a second shift for years, I hope they do it.
I've been using the phrase "acting in bad faith" to describe management for years to describe people deliberately screwing you instead of trying to advance your career.

I wrote a scorcher of a question to be used in the all hands production engineering meeting why it only takes 3 years for anyone who is not a straight, white, Christian man to be promoted to senior engineer and it takes some of the rest of us 15+ who are not a protected demographic. He convinced me to phrase it differently, so I phrased it using the different departments instead of demographics. It won't get selected anyway, we used to able to ask questions live, and, after we made them our bitches in front of an audience multiple times, they only take questions in advance and only use the easy ones now.
Old April 8th, 2023, 08:45 AM

John, several years ago my company actually pushed out an HR directive stating a quota for certain demographics to be promoted to senior engineer and above. An actual written policy from the topmost levels of management.
Old April 8th, 2023, 09:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here is one to think about. The airlines are doing this for pilots. Thar will make everybody feel safe to think about the pilot getting their job based on demographics and not qualifications.
Old April 8th, 2023, 09:38 AM

Good morning everyone.

Chris you'll have new neighbors in no time. This must be someone who wanted the lot and is building themselves. Or does the original builder own all the lots and new people go to them?
Mike - There were originally 3 different builders in here when they first started building in 2005 (about 135 Lots available). About 4 or 5-years ago a different builder came in and bought all the remaining least desirable Lots (about 12) that were owned by the original 3 builders. This remaining builder has now built about 7 homes and I believe only 5 Lots remain open, including the 3 that remain behind us.
Old April 8th, 2023, 10:22 AM

Hi guys - Beautiful here today. Sunny, 0% chance of rain, and a high of 70. Gonna hit 2 car events this afternoon/evening. One is a cruise-in at a large Church about 15-miles from me and the other is a cruise-in at the local BK only 3-miles from my house. Gonna hit the one at the Church 1st because it starts earlier, then swing by the one at BK on my way home.

Been crawling around the undercarriage of the car the last couple of days to see if I might be able to find the mystery noise. I noticed the emergency brake cable was a little loose, and the transfer bracket (where main cable splits into R/L) was contacting the exhaust pipe on the driver's side. Tightened up the cable some and got it off of the pipe, and hopefully is taunt enough to keep the bracket from bouncing off the pipe. Haven't started it up yet to test, just keeping my fingers crossed???

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 8th, 2023, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Enjoy your shows. The Parking Brake "equalizer" (as it's called) might very well be the issue. In particular, depending on how loose it is, it might be collecting certain vortices of wind causing it to bang against either the exhaust or floor panel while motoring.
Old April 8th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Enjoy your shows. The Parking Brake "equalizer" (as it's called) might very well be the issue. In particular, depending on how loose it is, it might be collecting certain vortices of wind causing it to bang against either the exhaust or floor panel while motoring.
Thanks Norm! Whether the Parking Brake "equalizer" is the culprit of "the noise" or not remains to be seen, but the cable was loose enough such that the equalizer itself was already in contact with the exhaust pipe at rest. It would certainly flop some moving under certain conditions, banging against the pipe. Guess we'll see???
Old April 8th, 2023, 12:12 PM

Mike, I think the wipers are like a thermos bottle knows how to keep something hot or cold
Old April 8th, 2023, 03:09 PM

Chris, just make sure you haven't tightened up the park brake cable enough to cause rear shoes to drag you don't want that. If you want to check, just jack up rear tires and make sure they will turn freely out of park. Glad to hear you are all set on the lifters.
I bought a 2009 F150 the other day just to repair and resell. I used to do that years ago, we'll see how it goes. You can't buy old cars that need repair for $50, like you usta....This one sposta need a engine- yep the infamous 5.4. I'm renting a trailer and going to get it Wednesday.
Old April 8th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Always room for one more

John most of the leads, and they become leads forever which I don't understand, are more interested in messing with people instead of the work getting done. That is working in bad faith.

Been raining all afternoon. Not hard, just annoying. And it's cold. Well this gave me the opportunity to use the heated seats in the new car. I haven't had heated seats for a long time, they were nice. Not a fan of the dual zone AC, though.

Tiger I think is grounded until I get the truck back. I really don't need him slobbering all over the windows and digging up the leather seats and all that. I hate not having him with me when I'm at Mom's, but them's the breaks. He's really gonna hate when I head out to Awful house tomorrow without him.

Old April 8th, 2023, 03:38 PM

Mike, get one of those seat hammocks for him. I got one for the nicer car so I can tote the K9s and keep the leather nice.
Old April 8th, 2023, 03:46 PM

Mike, you're right.

Kenneth, I have confided in my friend and now boss, that there is no way to beat the system; it's too big. I just hope this recession triggers a buyout like in 09; it's time for me to work for me.

Greg, hell, I thought I was bad buying an extra gun spur of the moment yesterday while at the gunstore for other business; you got a whole vehicle.