The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2023, 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - That's quite the array of bayonets.
Old March 31st, 2023, 02:42 PM

Jim - Wow, are all of those part of your collection? Are those all Civil War Era or are some even older? Hard to see whether some are flintlocks or not? Impressive!
Old March 31st, 2023, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that is an angle I had not considered. Perhaps once she was close up to the car she realized it was no Mercedes. Well whatever. Next week when the top works again you can drive past her with it down and do some flexing at the stop sign.

Dan that's a nice looking fire house. I think it would be cool to make an otherwise industrial type building into your house. Like a church. Or an airplane. Those windows look like the original occupants had a very thin fire truck. What starts with F and ends with K and has UC in the middle? Firetruck.

Jamesbo you said you hate dealing with people. Have a couple of them sitting next to you and people might behave themselves.

Chris you know what that building looks like? When you have dial up and you scroll faster than your connection and whatever the top of the picture is gets drawn up. Beautiful building by the way.

Old March 31st, 2023, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

I think I see one flintlock. Most of the others I see have trigger guards. IIRC, many of the flintlocks lacked a trigger guard - not all but most (I believe).

Old March 31st, 2023, 03:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm that is an angle I had not considered. Perhaps once she was close up to the car she realized it was no Mercedes. Well whatever. Next week when the top works again you can drive past her with it down and do some flexing at the stop sign.
Supposedly (listening to her & her husband talk) she owned a Camaro at some point - not a newer Camaro, I can't recall the year. She also owned some older VW, again, I don't recall the year. When the SW is in & the power top working, I'll call them to see what they have to say. I honestly don't care.
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:04 PM

Chris you know what that building looks like? When you have dial up and you scroll faster than your connection and whatever the top of the picture is gets drawn up. Beautiful building by the way.
Mike - I can picture what you're saying about what the building looks like! Although originally designed as a military hospital, it has a very ornate 1st floor lobby area, I think that's probably just because of the Era (40's) it was built in. You and Jim better keep you eyes on the weather this evening, several tornadoes already on the ground in Arkansas and Illinois.
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Mike - I can picture what you're saying about what the building looks like! Although originally designed as a military hospital, it has a very ornate 1st floor lobby area, I think that's probably must because of the Era (40's) it was built in. You and Jim better keep you eyes on the weather this evening, several tornadoes already on the ground in Arkansas and Illinois.
Chris - Did you compose and write the above? There are no exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: Never mind - I found one.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 31st, 2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:10 PM

Jim - Wow, are all of those part of your collection? Are those all Civil War Era or are some even older? Hard to see whether some are flintlocks or not? Impressive!
Chris, They are [were cause I just got rid of them All Springfields from the Revolution, war of 2812, Mexican war, civil war, Indian wars, spanish American war, WW l,. WW ll Korea and Vietnam and One Harpers Ferry Mississippi [Jeff Davis fought in the Mexicans war]and one Remington Zouave [cause they were pretty] I've had them for years and they weren't doing anything but collecting dust and no one but me knew WTF they were, So I let another collector dust them i enjoyed them but sorta lost interest. I have at tendency to go bat **** crazy over something then stop
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:14 PM

Norm, There is only one flint lock [Revolution=, Several conversions [from flint to percussion] The 2 shorter ones are obviously carbines 45/70 trap doors from the Indians wars and Krag from the spanish American war. Alot of it is[was] showing what they did [tried] with the zillion muskets after the civil war converting to breech loaders [1/2/3 model Allin, rolling block etc]
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I have at tendency to go bat **** crazy...
I have no words, no words...
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Did you compose and write the above? There are no exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT: Never mind - I found one.
Good eye. I do get carried away with exclamation points. In my defense, I think it's because I'm passionate about what I'm writing. I'll try to dial it back Mrs. Owens (Highschool Grammar).
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:22 PM
Running On Empty

In my defense, I think it's because I'm passionate about what I'm writing.
Of course it is!!!!!
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:35 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/500-nitro-...3/br?cid=15974 Chris, Just and FYI
Old March 31st, 2023, 03:55 PM

I have no words, no words...
Norm please be patient with me, The Lords not through with me yet
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:23 PM

Jim - I know, I just responded via PM as to the expense, it's crazy. Ya know what else is crazy, the price of even non-exotic rounds have gone up more than 100% in the last 15-years. A 20-round box of Remington Core-Lokt 7mm Remington Magnum cartridges was $25 in 2006, now they're more than $50 a box depending on where you get them. Just nuts!
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:35 PM

I need to find 22 Hornet.
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:36 PM

Well that makes my Garand without a bayonet look naked.
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:42 PM

Jim - I know, I just responded via PM as to the expense, it's crazy. Ya know what else is crazy, the price of even non-exotic rounds have gone up more than 100% in the last 15-years. A 20-round box of Remington Core-Lokt 7mm Remington Magnum cartridges was $25 in 2006, now they're more than $50 a box depending on where you get them. Just nuts!
I used to buy .22 LR for $0.02 per round (on sale). Now they are $0.08+ per round and no one puts them on sale any more.
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:50 PM

Kenneth, I am actually looking for a Service grade M 1 Garand I've seen plenty of mint ones I just wanta hand it on my M38 Am 1 jeep
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well that makes my Garand without a bayonet look naked.
Ya know the rarest one? the plastic ones that every kind broke in his back yard
Old March 31st, 2023, 04:57 PM

Chris, interesting building. I was in the Frauenthal Center yesterday, a 100 year old+ theater in town. I just love the architecture inside and out. It was the Michgan theater when i was a kid, and had a few names changes over the decades. In the height of urban renewal (or how to erase your town's history) , the city wanted to tear it down for the new mall that was going to be built, and a wealthy family, the Frauenthal's, donated a ton of money to keep and restore it. The mall by the way is long gone. Norm, isn't OCD when you repeatedly do something, knowing that you just did it? I kidded my one of my buddy's wife a couple of years ago, teasing that she had OCD. Around christmas time every year we get together for dinner and end up at their house afterwards for more talk and libation. We gather in the kitchen/dining area. She wiped the countertop down, though no one had placed a bottle or can or anything on it. Ten minutes later she does it again, twenty minutes later, again. At which point I commented on her OCD, which she strongly denied.
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, isn't OCD when you repeatedly do something, knowing that you just did it? I kidded my one of my buddy's wife a couple of years ago, teasing that she had OCD. Around christmas time every year we get together for dinner and end up at their house afterwards for more talk and libation. We gather in the kitchen/dining area. She wiped the countertop down, though no one had placed a bottle or can or anything on it. Ten minutes later she does it again, twenty minutes later, again. At which point I commented on her OCD, which she strongly denied.
Hell Dan - You tell me. I think they have damn near everything they can listed.

noun
Psychiatry
noun: obsessive-compulsive disorder
  1. a personality disorder characterized by excessive orderliness, perfectionism, attention to details, and a need for control in relating to others.
Here's a nice list of goop:

Common types of compulsive behaviour in people with OCD include:
- cleaning and hand washing - REALLY?
  • checking – such as checking doors are locked or that the gas is off
  • counting
  • ordering and arranging
  • hoarding
  • asking for reassurance
  • repeating words in their head
  • thinking "neutralising" thoughts to counter the obsessive thoughts
  • avoiding places and situations that could trigger obsessive thoughts
Not all compulsive behaviors will be obvious to other people.
They fail to mention. You should seek an immediate mental evaluation for help - because you need serious mental intervention.
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:08 PM

Ya know the rarest one? the plastic ones that every kind broke in his back yard
Jim - I had a 1967 Crosman M1 Carbine style BB gun when I was young. This was an early production one when the stocks were still made of wood. Another one of the items I'm going to look for in my parents attic next time I'm up there.

Norm Guilty But as I tell the Super model, Please don't ax me where the butter is until you at least open the fridge PPPPPP [Pryor planning prevent Pi$$ poor performance] if you're not planning, you're planning to fail Winston Churchill OCD making list helps me not forget to buy eggs [et al]
Running On Empty

If you're checking your doors are locked and the gas is off. Uh huh - that's OCD.
Ordering & rearranging - Uh huh - no one should order and rearrange things else be considered OCD.
Curious if you aim your pee stream at the fly in the urinal is OCD?
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:09 PM
Running On Empty

I'm guilty - hell, everyone I know is OCD.
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:12 PM
Running On Empty

I realize I'm getting a little hell bent on this, but psychiatry is good for handing out more unwarranted/unfounded drugs than most any other profession. Their motto should be "Let us turn YOU into a Zombie"
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:25 PM

Norm I never check my doors, and i cant write my name in the snow because it never snows
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

I write out lists for everything - (most generally) grocery list, on-line ordering list, car items list, truck items list, tractor list, house repair(s) list, etc. I find it saves tons of time & I can easily address priorities.
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:34 PM

I was a big time list maker when I was working, now, not so much. I don't miss my lists.
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:38 PM

Some time I make a list and the Super model takes it with her and somehow it get lost
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:39 PM
Always room for one more

Lucky for my generation ADHD hadn't been invented yet. When I was a kid if you acted out you were hyper and you didn't get any sugar filled candy. Now if you act out you're in years of therapy.

I joke about something triggering my OCD. It's really just that I overthink things. I sure as hell ain't gonna take medicine for overthinking.

Dan and Chris the big city of Atlanta doesn't have old buildings because they get knocked down and something new gets built. AT&T wanted to knock down the Fox Theater for their new headquarters. It is a rare thing the Fox was saved. They built the headquarters in the parking lot next door. Loew's Grand Theater wasn't so lucky.

Old March 31st, 2023, 05:41 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I've been to shows in the Fox Theater a couple times - pleasant place.
Old March 31st, 2023, 05:43 PM
Always room for one more

Norm now you're talking my language. I make lists for everything. I even have lists that refer to other lists. When I was younger whenever I was indecisive about something Mom would say, make a list. Now she looks at my lists and thinks they are dumb. I don't care. I don't always look at them but they keep me centered if I go a little overboard with something.

Old March 31st, 2023, 05:45 PM
Always room for one more

I've been in the Fox a couple times. Once I went with someone to see Jerry Seinfeld. The other time I met friends and toured the place. Amazing. I'd like to take that tour again, see if the docent takes us anywhere different.

Old March 31st, 2023, 06:04 PM

Mike - I've been to shows in the Fox Theater a couple times - pleasant place.
The Fox Theater in St. Louis is an incredibly beautiful place to see a show or a concert!

Old March 31st, 2023, 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Originally called the New Palace Theater (1926), then changed to the Bismark Theater (1984) and finally the Cadillac Theater, 1999 (GM Cadillac purchased the naming rights), (Randolph St., Chicago) I've attended several venues during its Bismark Theater days. Absolutely gorgeous interior. True story during WWII the Federal Government toured many theaters/museums across the country & confiscated any brass metals for military grade materials. The New Palace Theater painted all of their brass white to disguise the brass. This was not discovered until the Cadillac renovation in 1999 (~73 yrs. later) when all the white paint was removed to reveal wonderfully preserved brass.
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:17 PM
Always room for one more

Chris who's organ is that front and center? The Fox Atlanta has a Moller, the Mighty Mo. St. Louis is lucky to still have that gem.

Old March 31st, 2023, 06:26 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I've heard stories like that before. It makes me think the government people looking for the metals weren't very bright. I read that General Motors hid all their antique cars on the roof of some factory and painted them white so they wouldn't get confiscated for the war effort in World War II. The gov. people could say, we want to take all those antique cars that we see right behind you. GM could say, there aren't any antique cars behind us. Okay then see ya.

Well I was supposed to go see a car tomorrow that's in the next town over. So far the guy hasn't gotten back with me to tell me where the car is. Not a good way to sell a car if you ask me.

And the pickup is not finished at the mechanic. It's on their outside lift, but I didn't hear anything about it and now it will be out of commission all weekend. Two days and counting to do a clutch. Granted, I didn't want to do the clutch, but the guy told me to bring it Thursday and he'd work on it then. I took it Wednesday night so he'd have it first thing, and it sat all day Thursday not being touched. Strike two for this guy. He's a good enough guy but I can't depend on him.
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:29 PM

Chris who's organ is that front and center? The Fox Atlanta has a Moller, the Mighty Mo. St. Louis is lucky to still have that gem.
Mike - Sorry, I don't know who the organ belongs to, but I would assume the Theatre. Yes we are lucky to still have it, it's a real gem!