The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2022, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
yes 5 and 3 brothers [ black Irish catholic ] Do you think she'd appreciate the joke?
She might...have you ever been flogged?
Old October 1st, 2022, 03:34 PM

Norm, She'd never hurt her cook. She'd starve to death

Poor thing could burn a salad
Old October 1st, 2022, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - That is so funny...I have no words.
Old October 1st, 2022, 03:58 PM
Always room for one more

Well Jamesbo you could send her over here. She'd still starve to death. Mom would cook for her.

I would love to have street pressure in my showers. It would probably blow my house up though. Attaching a pressure gauge to any cold water faucet will register what the regulator is set at. At my house on the lake, the garden hose splits off before the regulator. That would be a good place to put the gauge.

So, last question before I'm officially tired of water heaters. The heater is 4 years old, and I'm certain no one has ever opened the spigot at the bottom of the tank to drain out the rust/whatever. What are the chances that spigot would leak and not stop if I opened it now?

We finished up this morning a few minutes before 8 and were gone right at 8. That's not a bad morning. Tomorrow promises to be the same. If I only work half the day on double time but still get paid for the whole day, am I actually making quadruple time?

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old October 1st, 2022, 04:10 PM

I just read of a new "position"

"Rodeo position"

It's when you mount her from behind, reach around and grab her breast and whisper in her ear "You feel just like your sister"

And try to stay on for 30 seconds
LOL!!! That's a good one.
Old October 1st, 2022, 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
So, last question before I'm officially tired of water heaters. The heater is 4 years old, and I'm certain no one has ever opened the spigot at the bottom of the tank to drain out the rust/whatever. What are the chances that spigot would leak and not stop if I opened it now?
Most likely w/ a water heater only four years old you should be fine. Do review how you open your particular drain spigot. Most of them are similar, but ensure you know how to open yours. I've seen a couple cousins destroy their drain spigot not knowing they were supposed to open the "inner" portion of the drain spigot. All this talk about water heaters now has me doing the same. I'll drain/flush the tank & install a new anode this week. This will be the 3rd anode in 18 years. I may have drained it now 5-6 times in 18 years.
Old October 1st, 2022, 08:51 PM

Mike,
if your water heater has one of those plastic drain valves with a tiny round handle it’s likely that any amount of buildup will clog the valve and not drain at all. That was my experience with the last water heater, and why on the new replacement I installed a 3/4” nipple and a 1/4 turn valve so I could drain it properly on regular intervals.

Old October 2nd, 2022, 03:45 AM

That makes me feel bad, I don't think mine was ever opened in the last 30 years. Must have worked OK, I noticed they used a hose and drained it to the outside now I wonder how much junk was packed in there....Tedd
Old October 2nd, 2022, 08:45 AM

Good morning guys,

Norm - I'm glad Ian lessened before it got to you.

Long, but fun, car day yesterday. Started out pretty crazy though. I got over to the Car Show in Columbia, IL early around 0800 and got my car set-up. My buddy with the '66 Vette was supposed to meet me there around 0930. Got a text from him around 0900 letting me know that when he went to get in his car, he had hit his knee hard on the turn signal stalk, and somehow the switch was jammed in the on position and wouldn't turn off. In his text he said he was going to tear it down real quick and if it didn't take too long he was still coming. He is a super mechanic, so I wasn't surprised that I got another message around 0945 saying he was on his way. Then only 15-minutes later I get a call from him saying he had to turn around because his wife had called him and asked him to come home ASAP because she had cut her hand severely. She ended up getting 6 stitches later. Obviously a car show was not in the cards for him yesterday.

The car show was very well attended, the MC said 211 judged cars, plus some additional cars just on display. I was in the 1964 - 1974 Muscle Car Class and did not place in the top 3. Our Archway Old's Club had 14 entries and we won the trophy for best club participation. We were all parked in the same row next to each other and it was fun to hang with them all day. After the car show ended around 1500, I drove back across the river and 50-miles southwest down to DeSoto, MO to the DQ for their cruise-in, their last one for the season. I stayed there until 1830, and got home about 1900. In total I drove my car about 115-miles yesterday. It performed like a champ!

Hope ya'll have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 2nd, 2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 09:03 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yes, I am thankful. Thanks. 🙏
Old October 2nd, 2022, 10:46 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Double time went well this morning. We did 60 wheels and finished up around 730. We were gone before 8, so I stopped in to the Awful house. Absolutely beautiful out it couldn't be a nicer day.

Chris good thing your friend was in a Corvette so he could race back home to his wife. The nice thing about a car show at Dairy Queen is there's ice cream involved.

Don't worry Tedd it's only money. Heck I might save a little by turning the heat down. I like those quarter turn valves. When I redo my laundry room I'm going to put them on the washing machine hoses. Whoever thought those little turn wheels inside a box was a good idea?

Just got back from Walmart. I gotta rest. Probably tidy up a few loose ends/small projects outside. I can stay up late tonight since I took off tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old October 2nd, 2022, 10:50 AM
Running On Empty

The nice thing about a car show at Dairy Queen is there's ice cream involved.
Oh heck yes...
Old October 2nd, 2022, 11:13 AM

The nice thing about a car show at Dairy Queen is there's ice cream involved.
Got that right! First thing I did when I got there was get one of their large Blizzards, I had been having a craving for ice-cream and we didn't have any in the house.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 11:15 AM

Norm, have you ever tested spark plugs and spark plug wires with a multimeter. ,My [very limited] understand is the ohms readings will ne higher with a radio resister in the plugs. What I can't figger out is if the M 38 A 1 24 volt plugs have a register in them to help eliminate radio interference not am/fm but military radio. From what I've read mower, tillers, blowers etc don't have the resister in them but many cars do
Old October 2nd, 2022, 11:30 AM
Running On Empty

Hi Jim - I used my DMM to measure the resistance of a new set of spark plug wires I purchased ~2 years ago for the '71 CS to ensure what I bought was what they stated in their documentation & I was pleased to find the resistance (ohms) was exactly as stated. They weren't el cheapo plug wires. Additionally, each plug wire has a ceramic boot which attaches to each spark plug. I don't recall if my spark plugs have a resistor or no resistor. Most spark plugs w/ a resistor have a designated "R" on them for built-in resistor. I purchase spark plug wires with a ceramic resistor boot to primarily eliminate cross-talk between spark plug wires so each plug wire remains as dedicated as possible with limited chances of overlapping signals. I most likely don't really need spark plugs w/ a resistor if I install plug wires with ceramic resistor boots.

I think you're correct, many cars have a built-in resistor. Whether it is designated with the "R" any longer, I really don't know. I know at one point in time you could buy the exact same plug w/ or w/o a resistor. If I'm not mistaken didn't you purchase a new-to-you set of military spark plugs from someone here on CO just a couple months ago? Just my opinion, but it's most likely doubtful a spark plug w/ a resistor would eliminate radio interference specific to a military radio (frequency) and not an AM/FM frequency but I honestly have no idea. So, basically, I'm useless.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 11:40 AM

Tanks Norm, Yes, I bought NOS plugs from a CO friend but I'm having a little trouble with one plug [# 4] fouling. Just trying to go through the whole routine and check and recheck . The plan de jour is to check all [new and older] plugs [just in case] and to check all the plug wires, I've installed a new gas tanks with 2 new filters and have a carb kit on the shelf and new wiring on the shelf in the shop at my lake house
. After 67 years there's no telling who did what to whom
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:02 PM
Running On Empty

When you bought those NOS plugs I looked them up & found they could be had by several vendors. At any rate, swap out #4 plug with another plug from another cylinder and see if #4 continues to foul. Don't swap out the wire(s) - just the plug. If no discernible results, then swap out the plug wire(s) from another cylinder. I recognize the supposed benefit of using those plugs as they're NOS originals. But, you know, like anything that's NOS electrical with that many years sitting on a shelf, being tossed around, harvesting moisture, not in use, etc. it's highly unlikely they're REALLY NOS - they could very well no longer be of good quality - metal does oxidize over time, especially when there's not much metal there to begin with. Just a thought.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:24 PM

Tanks Norm, That's sorta what I did last weekend, but I took the plug wire off, ran it under the gap in the hood where I could see it. reinstalled the plug, Put 2 alligator clips on some wire. Grounded one end on the negative battery pole and the other clip on the base of the spark plug . Hit the starter and checked for spark

As I'm sure you are aware, working alone sometime requires 'rigging

I got spark on the plug closest to the fire wall but the other spark plug wires are too short to test this was

That's why I going to use the multimeter to check both plugs and wires w/po standing on my head

I'm going to check all 14 [4 old and 10 "NOS" [ just to see what I have, then the wires

I plan on taking the old ones using a little carb cleaner and wire bush and clean them and check old vs. new

I agree with all the best intentions i could have gotten some poor quality "NOS" plugs and the cleaned older ones May be better
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:25 PM

Noise suppression is achieved by using resistor spark plugs and resistor wires. Typical automotive spark plug wires have a carbon core for the conductor, which has some amount of resistance per unit of length.

I would expect the NOS military plugs and wires to have whatever EMI suppression called for in the MIL-SPEC for the specific system. Those long antennas tied in an arc over the Jeep makes me think the WWII radios were using a long wavelength similar to the AM band so it likely uses similar EMI suppression as your classic Oldsmobile.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:41 PM

Tanks Kenneth Part of my testing a retesting approach is because the friggin water proof ignition parts are High as hell example 4 spark plug wires are over $250 and the plugs [of you can find them] run $25.00 EACH

So I don't wanta throw parts at this thing
Old October 2nd, 2022, 02:37 PM

Jim, any chance that you have the shielding under your distributor cap around the points and condensor? My '69 has it, as did many corvettes back in the day. Picked up the ingredients for white chilli and spagetti yesterday, white chilli is on the menu for tonight. A nice day out, worked 6 hours, and foolishly watched the rest of the Lions game. I thought that i would head out with my camera, but I squanderd too much time watching the Lions lose again, and I wanted to head across the county, took too much time off of my day.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 02:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...white chilli is on the menu for tonight.
Dan, that sounds delicious.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Picked up the ingredients for white chilli and spagetti yesterday, white chilli is on the menu for tonight. A nice day out, worked 6 hours, and foolishly watched the rest of the Lions game.
Dan - The white chili sounds great, I love that stuff, especially with the temps cooling off! Isn't it nuts how the Lion's can be so bad year after year after year? I would love nothing more than to see them at least make the playoffs, but I ain't holding my breath. I've adopted the Chiefs since the Rams left StL, and they are so fun to watch. Mahomes is a magician. Should be a good match-up between them and the Bucs tonight.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 2nd, 2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 06:20 PM

Drove my Club Wagon some 260 miles this weekend. Thing is running OK, but I think I need to give it a tune up and check mixture with vacuum meter and check idle speed again, as part throttle low rpm acceleration is rough. See post on Newport Hill Climb in this section.

Old October 2nd, 2022, 07:23 PM

Stayed in Terre Haute on the way to and from Newport this weekend. I found out on Friday morning, before I headed up there, that someone had decided that arsoning the separate garage my grandfather built off some pre-existing brick boundary walls was the thing to do. Some pictures from the Great Tree Event of 2021 included for perspective of what garage looked like. Not much lost other than some salvaged wood from the crushed porch, it was pretty empty. We haven't owned the property since November of last year.

Old October 3rd, 2022, 10:35 AM

Beautiful day in the neighborhood

38/41
Old October 3rd, 2022, 11:03 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Well played. I opted not to play today so as to gain more ground on exterior house maintenance - moving scaffolding, painting, etc. Breezy here.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 11:12 AM

Jim - Very nice round pardner!
Old October 3rd, 2022, 01:09 PM

Koda, the van looks good. Garage arson, what the hell is wrong with people? Probably kids or teens. We had a serial arsonist around here for years, the guy would get drunk and set buildings on fire. Never occupied. They knew who it was, but could never pin it on him. Last I heard, from a cop friend of mine, was that the guy quit drinking, and the arson stopped.
Old October 3rd, 2022, 02:22 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a nice day. All around. Since I had taken today off, I got to sleep in, to a whopping 830. Then Awful house, puttered around, then took Mom to the doctor. It is absolutely gorgeous out.

John the van looks good. Is that the original color? I think I asked you that before. The group that owns the house now, will they rebuild or just clear everything away and have an open space?

Summit tonight. They are winding down, the shows are over the end of October. I used to go into the store every week and buy a few quarts of oil. I haven't done that in a couple years and I still have oil.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old October 3rd, 2022, 03:51 PM

Good evening guys,

Mike - Hope there's a good turnout at Summit!

Beautiful Fall day here today, sunny and low 70's. Very hectic day. My wife had her Pre-Op check-up this morning. Then I did my lifting workout, and then mowed. Then we went to get some groceries. This is the 1st I've sat all day. Wife made homemade potatoe soup with ham and bacon in it for dinner. She also made homemade yeast rolls to go with it. Like Dan's White Chili, the soup always tastes better for some reason when the weather turns off cooler,

Just communicated with my roofer. He still doesn't know for sure if the materials will be dropped on the roof late tomorrow or Wednesday, but we're still definitely a go for stripping the old roof and putting on the new one on Thursday. Weather is supposed to be bone dry thru next weekend, so there should be no unexpected delays at this point.

Hope ya'll had a great day and have a relaxing evening!
Old October 3rd, 2022, 05:03 PM

Mike, no, it was originally this color and still is on the inside. It needs minor body work, unknown what I will paint it then. I think the color is Boxwood Green.

I am sure the organization that owns the house will leave it as a parking slab. They are not spending any extra money.

Dan, I think it was a firebug, like the one you mention. My buddy thought it was a squatting hobo.

Old October 4th, 2022, 09:04 AM

Good morning guys,

Chilly this morning, 40° when I got up at 0700. Sunny and warming up nicely, it's now 64° at 1100. It was pretty cool in the house, so I broke down and turned the gas fireplace on and Maggie took immediate advantage of it.

Not much going on today, I need to get out on my bike and ride some in this nice weather while I still can.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old October 4th, 2022, 01:50 PM
Running On Empty

Home maintenance & repair...the gift which keeps on giving...trying to get the peaks done before cold winter weather sets in.

Old October 4th, 2022, 04:00 PM

Norm, Sorry, I like Monty's job better than yours
Old October 4th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Monty or Maggie?
Old October 4th, 2022, 04:43 PM

Either, not sure but I still like his/her job better than yours
Old October 4th, 2022, 05:08 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Either, not sure but I still like his/her job better than yours
I completely agree w/ you.
Old October 4th, 2022, 05:53 PM

Got out for that ride like I wanted to later in the afternoon. Rode for about 2 & 1/2-hours. It was beautiful riding weather, perfect really, just a heavy shirt and my leather jacket. The leaves have not really started turning yet, couple more weeks probably. Hoping I can get out for a full day ride when they are near their peak color.
Old October 4th, 2022, 06:08 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - sounds nice. I should really head to the Smoky’s when the colors turn. Beautiful weather right now.