The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2022, 05:51 AM

Good morning guys,

It was already raining when I got up at 0530. All the weather sites were forecasting 100% chance of essentially all day rain today, and 90% chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. Guess this will be the 1st test of my new roof! The crew that's supposed to do the replacement of my gutters/downspouts was scheduled to come today, but I spoke to the Project Lead yesterday because of the forecast for today and tomorrow, and now they should be here on Thursday. I did have that tough discussion with the Project Lead about the stains in my driveway left from the delivery truck. I believe it was Mike who made the right call, the Roofung Company is supposed to be calling the Materials Supplier to have them come out and clean my driveway, guess we'll see how that goes???

I am adding this info on Monty's ailments so Jim has a good excuse to run back down to the Liquor Store and give the sales gal with the nice erasers an update on his condition! Jim, you owe me! His injured rear leg appears to be healed very close to 100%. That is a load off our minds! He is scheduled to go back to the Vet tomorrow afternoon for a re-check on his face infection, which looks much, much, better, but not completely healed.

New project/s going on here, not by me, by my wife. She is taking a break from her furniture, and has decided to do a cosmetic refresh of the 2 bathrooms. Mainly just paint colors and new fixtures, which are original to the house that was built in 2006. Now my wife knows I am not fond of change, so I think she has been reluctant to change things because she was not on the scene when I picked out and bought this house. However, I think I have finally gotten her to believe that I really want her to make our house "her own", and can change anything she wants. I think we're also probably headed towards additional changes with new paint and flooring in the Great Room and Dining Room, but that will be after her surgery. Just hope I can get the Genie back in the bottle at some point. I will post some before and after pics of the bathrooms when she's done.

Well, I've rambled way more than I should have, sorry about that. Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old October 11th, 2022, 08:01 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been busy this morning. Yesterday about an hour before we left the computers just went dark. No apparent reason. This morning they were working and someone said a breaker tripped. Hm. It's been smooth with no trouble this morning, I hope we can finish and get out a bit early.

Jamesbo you had grits with pecans? Well, anything to make grits palatable I guess. No hash browns? I was sitting there the other day and a guy comes in for a to go order, and says do you have home fries? Everyone just chuckled.

I found out I need to reattach the plug on the light harness on my tow dolly. I don't know how it got ripped off but it needs to go back on. The cops around here aren't interested in crime prevention, they are interested in gigging people on stupid things like no lights on a tow dolly. Never mind the truck has lights. That might be a good project for this afternoon. I just really need to get the dogmobile over to the trans place.

Okay lunch.

Old October 11th, 2022, 08:19 AM

Mike

Gong

Nope grits with chopped up sausage and LOTS of butter
Old October 11th, 2022, 09:12 AM
Always room for one more

The butter makes it stick in the driveway cracks better.

Old October 11th, 2022, 12:44 PM

was thinking Timothy Olyphant in Hitman.
The uncensored version shows Olga's asset's quite well.
Old October 11th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Beautiful out. I believe this will come to an end tomorrow as we're supposed to get rain, then be nice through the weekend again.

Jamesbo do you have a recipe for rhubarb pie? Mom is going to make me one but my grandmother's recipe doesn't give a time to bake or a temperature.

Got out of work at 215, finished at 1230. Tomorrow is Hump Day!! Feels like it should be Thursday already.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old October 11th, 2022, 04:21 PM

Well, only about a 1/2-hour after my post this morning, the gutter/downspout crew showed up on my doorstep without warning. When the Project Lead saw the forecast for all day rain was changing, and would be spotty at best, he sent them out to me, without even a text as a heads-up. I thought that was kind of him. His excuse, he got pre-occupied with a big job where the customer was trying to change the parameters of the job at the last minute. Guess I saw where I rated!

When they got done we did a walk around and the gutters and downspouts looked great! I had no need to walk up onto my deck for inspection in order to see the gutters and downspouts, so I sent them on their way. About 20-minutes after they left my wife was out on the deck tending to some of her plants, and came in to tell me that somehow they had put a heavy gouge/cut on the stairway landing of the deck. Don't know how in the hell they did it unless they had a ladder where the rubber footer on the bottom was worn off or they dropped a sharp heavy tool. So then I had to send a text to the Project Lead letting him know what had happened, along with a couple pictures. Now he had walked up those steps and across the landing earlier that morning to check out a piece of flashing with me and it wasn't there then. There is no way in hell you could miss it because it sticks out like a sore thumb!

OMG it's hard to get good help these days!

Wife had northern white beans with a bunch of ham simmering in the Crockpot all day. Of course she made a big.pan of cornbread to go with it! Mighty tasty on a cool Fall day!

Hope ya'll had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 11th, 2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old October 11th, 2022, 04:39 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I've made this Rhubarb Pie recipe (Joy Of Cooking) and it's very similar to my Mom's. Very tasty. I love Rhubarb Pie. You don't have to make the Meringue.

Rhubarb Pie

Meringue (p.1)

Meringue (p.2)
Old October 11th, 2022, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Mom is going to make me one but my grandmother's recipe doesn't give a time to bake or a temperature.
I had that same issue with a King Cake recipe. Got all the way to the part where I put it in the oven and had no idea what temperature or for how long. And this was the day before a Mardi Gras party with 50 people.
Old October 11th, 2022, 05:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
King Cake
First time I ever heard of it. Had to look it up.
Old October 12th, 2022, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
First time I ever heard of it. Had to look it up.

Norm, you need to become Louisiana educated. So look up " lagniappe" also
Old October 12th, 2022, 03:13 AM

Well Chris, I would just see if you can chalk that slice up knowing that it will not be perfect again. I would look at it as a "**** happens" type thing. When they put a new roof on my house there is a couple places where the siding got all scraped up and a few black marks. I think it was where they had thrown down the old shingles. Also something broke the plastic threshold on a brand new walk thru door I had just bought and installed a few weeks before. I looked at both damages as just a result of doing a huge job and never even mentioned it. Just my opinion, but your call.
The things to do around here didn't stop just because I was gone for 2 weeks. Now about 1/2 of the leaves have fallen. Boat, Olds and old truck need to be put in barn for winter, Dock and boat cover needs to come out, etc, etc. I am going to store my neighbors boat also, 1st year for that, I am trying to help them out, but I hope it doesn't end up being a every year thing. Yesterday wife and I went to Ann Arbor -U of M hospital for her 2nd biopsy of new kidney. Made a long day but all went well.
Old October 12th, 2022, 08:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lunch is over. It was a busy morning and we are in good shape. We had a fire drill this morning and everyone went outside to stand in the parking lot. Now that we know what to do when we expect it, we should be all set.

It was spitting rain when I came in this morning. Supposed to be some heavy storms later on. We haven't had rain in three weeks and I still don't want to see it.

That's the first time I'd ever heard of King Cake as well. I would think if someone didn't know what it was and found some little toy in their food it would be a little disconcerting. So what is the preferred outcome, you want the doll so you can be King, or you don't want the doll so you don't have to bring the cake next time?

Greg I gotta disagree with you. If I saw a big gouge in my porch made by workers I think my head would explode. That needs to get fixed.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old October 12th, 2022, 12:56 PM

Good afternoon guys

Well, the saga continues! Greg, I hear ya, it's a judgement call on whether you should seek damages when dealing with a contractor who damages your property. In my case, I have to agree with Mike. The cut in the decking is over an inch long, and very visible. We entertain out there alot and both my wife and I really want it corrected. Closer inspection of the landing area where the cut is, revealed 2 other minor cuts on a separate decking board, about a foot from the larger cut. Inspecting the cuts with the roofing Project Lead this morning, he believes the cuts actually occurred on the day the roof was installed, and were caused by one of his roofers using a box cutter to cut shingles on the landing, in any case he accepted responsibility for the damage.

Next step, we called the materials company who sold my decking company the decking boards when my deck was built 4-years ago. Bad news, the manufacturer of the decking discontinued my color 2-years ago. Now we (Roofing Contractor and me) are in the process of calling around to other materials companies to see if anyone might have any remnant inventory of the type/color we need. We only need one 8ft piece and a 4ft piece. If we can't find it, I'm not sure where we go with it next??

Monty's going to the vet at 4:30 for a re-check on his facial folds infection. I sure hope he gets a clean bill of health and he doesn't need a 2nd round of antibiotics. His leg injury appears to be 100% healed now, as he's back to playing hard and running up and down the stairs.

Well, that's enough for now, I'm sure you're all bored to tears!
Hope you're all having a great day!
Old October 12th, 2022, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Dream67Olds442;1457418
Well, that's enough for now, I'm sure you're all bored to tears!
[/QUOTE]

Not me, I'm taking notes [ not about the roof but about Monty's maladies] I need the material for the whiskey store girl as cold weather approaches
Old October 12th, 2022, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Not me, I'm taking notes [ not about the roof but about Monty's maladies] I need the material for the whiskey store girl as cold weather approaches
Old October 12th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Chris can you flip those boards over and have a clean surface, with the cut underneath?

Old October 12th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

Best served warm w/ a very large scoop of French Vanilla Ice Cream

Old October 12th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Always room for one more

Oh does that look good. With any luck I'll have an identical treat soon!

I just read that Angela Lansbury has died. She was five days shy of 97. May her chewing gum never lose its flavor.

Old October 12th, 2022, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

I just read that Angela Lansbury has died. She was five days shy of 97. May her chewing gum never lose its flavor.
First I heard. The Dame was one of the all time best actresses both On Broadway & Off Broadway. Really enjoyed everything she did.
Old October 12th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Chris can you flip those boards over and have a clean surface, with the cut underneath?
Mike - Great idea, but nope, we chose the bargain basement composite that only has the color on 3 sides. Now I wished I had paid for a higher grade, or at least had the foresight to buy a couple extra planks just in case something like this happened. Who'd-a-thunk they'd discontinue the color in just a couple of years???
Old October 12th, 2022, 03:41 PM

Norm - That looks mighty tasty. Homemade strawberry/rhubarb???
Old October 12th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...we chose the bargain basement composite that only has the color on 3 sides. Now I wished I had paid for a higher grade, or at least had the foresight to buy a couple extra planks just in case something like this happened. Who'd-a-thunk they'd discontinue the color in just a couple of years???
I've seen this happen frequently on the bargain basement varieties. Have the wife refinish it all in some distressed antique applique?
Old October 12th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - That looks mighty tasty. Homemade strawberry/rhubarb???
Mike's Mom is going to make a Rhubarb pie for Mike. That image is a canned image I stole somewhere off the World Wide Web.
Old October 12th, 2022, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike's Mom is going to make a Rhubarb pie for Mike. That image is a canned image I stole somewhere off the World Wide Web.
I was thinking Mike's statement yesterday about his Mom making him a Rhubarb pie had given you the inspiration to make one for yourself. For some reason, in the canned image you posted the filling looked too red to be straight Rhubary, and I was guessing strawberry/rhubarb. When I was a boy my Dad put out a big garden every year and we had a big Rhubarb patch at the back of the garden. Us kids used to love to eat raw Rhubarb, dipped in sugar. Dad also put out strawberry plants in the garden and Mom would make several pies throughout the summer. Lots of good memories tending to the garden with my Dad.
Old October 12th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

Rhubarb is one of those plants (like asparagus, rosemary, various herbs/flowering plants/bulbs, etc.) our family swapped out to everyone/anyone w/in & outside the family. The oldest stand/patch of Rhubarb I believe came from my Mom's eldest sister (Genevieve) & IIRC, Aunt Gen found her patch of Rhubarb growing on an abandoned homestead somewhere where she dug up some plants and re-planted them in her own garden.
Old October 12th, 2022, 05:35 PM

Jim - Monty got a clean bill of health from the Vet. If you send him a box of dog treats he'd be glad to fake an injury or two so you'll have new material to work with down the road.
Old October 12th, 2022, 05:56 PM

Well, the saga continues! Greg, I hear ya, it's a judgement call on whether you should seek damages when dealing with a contractor who damages your property. In my case, I have to agree with Mike. The cut in the decking is over an inch long, and very visible. We entertain out there alot and both my wife and I really want it corrected. Closer inspection of the landing area where the cut is, revealed 2 other minor cuts on a separate decking board, about a foot from the larger cut. Inspecting the cuts with the roofing Project Lead this morning, he believes the cuts actually occurred on the day the roof was installed, and were caused by one of his roofers using a box cutter to cut shingles on the landing, in any case he accepted responsibility for the damage.

Next step, we called the materials company who sold my decking company the decking boards when my deck was built 4-years ago. Bad news, the manufacturer of the decking discontinued my color 2-years ago. Now we (Roofing Contractor and me) are in the process of calling around to other materials companies to see if anyone might have any remnant inventory of the type/color we need. We only need one 8ft piece and a 4ft piece. If we can't find it, I'm not sure where we go with it next??

Chris do you really think life is long enough to make sure the guests you entertain give a rats *** about a 1" cut in a deck board. Mike just as bad, get the ***** over being perfect and never making a mistake.
Geeze no wonder others call this thread the "Hen House"

Greg good for you actually making actions instead of just words helping animals that were displaced because storm trouble in FLA that came into play, just happy you did not have more "clients"
Old October 12th, 2022, 10:50 PM

Chris, Not to change the subject of erasers and Puppy dogs during cold weather, but I think you siding problem can be fixed Much like the repair cuts/burns in sofas/chairs made out of the Naugahyde. That is vinyl siding you have?

At the lake I have my father's chair that had cigar burns all over on of the arms. The repair man made a paste to match the color smeared it over the hole, then had textured material to put over the "goo' to make the texture correct.

These are the same guys making custom seat backs like if you wanted 442 on your head rest. It's really pretty cheap

https://www.google.com/search?q=vvin...wbkPpO2u6A8_68
Old October 13th, 2022, 05:58 AM

Chris, Not to change the subject of erasers and Puppy dogs during cold weather, but I think you siding problem can be fixed Much like the repair cuts/burns in sofas/chairs made out of the Naugahyde. That is vinyl siding you have?
Jim - Yes, we have vinyl siding, but the items that have been cut are two decking boards on the landing of the stairs from our deck to the backyard. The inside of the decking boards are made of a composite material then wrapped/coated in a vinyl like material this is probably about 1/16 to 1/32-inch thick. Here is a stock pic of what the deck boards look like.

And here is a pic of where the worst cut is on the 1st board of the landing (if going up the stairs).

Since the coating on the composite boards is a vinyl like coating, the vinyl repair technique you described might very well work. I just don't know how it would hold up to foot traffic, but at this point, every option is on the table. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old October 13th, 2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
Chris do you really think life is long enough to make sure the guests you entertain give a rats *** about a 1" cut in a deck board. Mike just as bad, get the ***** over being perfect and never making a mistake.
Geeze no wonder others call this thread the "Hen House"
Wow, I guess your Momma never taught you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

To answer your phuqueing question, I don't give a $hit what anyone else thinks about the condition of the boards on my deck. I care about the condition of the boards on my deck because I worked hard my whole life to be able have nice things, and I don't appreciate it when things are damaged due to the negligence of others. Oh, and if anything of your's is ever damaged by someone, I hope everyone shows you the same amount of empathy as you've shown me.
Old October 13th, 2022, 07:42 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been fairly busy this morning, we are on a fast track to finishing up early again today. I would just as soon keep going and do a couple dozen extra and then be done just that much more early tomorrow.

Rain stopped at some point this morning and it should be a nice day out. It should dry up by the weekend so I can do outside stuff.

Gosh Keith, better check the status of your Corn Flakes. In the grand scheme of things, no, a cut in the deck boards isn't going to change the world. However, when you hire professionals they need to be accountable for their missteps. That cut will eventually work its way out and then a big chunk will be missing and probably grow and look rather unsightly on an otherwise nice looking deck. Great idea just letting it be. Sheesh. I make mistakes all the time. And I own up to them. Double sheesh.

Time to prepare for lunch. The grocery store has Christmas Egg Nog already and I've been bringing it in my lunch. Makes me feel fancy. Have a good day everyone.

Old October 13th, 2022, 10:18 AM

I had a 3rd shift co worker, who used to be on 2nd shift when I was a couple of years ago, ask if I was going to bring in rum ***** @ Christmas. "No" was the reply. I asked my 1st shift co workers last year as to whether or not it would be a good idea, they repsoned "no". Too many white collars running around. I didn't the year before, as the boss that I had at that time (and is currently my boss now on 1st shift) is very by the book, to the point of being **** about things. I had for the previous ten years or so, when I was on second, and had bosses that would have a couple of rum ***** thenselves without asking who brought them in. She hinted that perhapsIi could make small gifts for a few people. Speaking of frowned upon in the workplace, as I was getting ready to punch out yesterday, a 2nd shift co worker handed me an object wrapped in a plastic grocery bag, and said "don't look at it here, it's not allowed". It was a can of locally brewed beer in a pink for cancer support can, which had local cancer survivors names listed on it. i had donated to one of her charity events as she went through a masectomy a couple of years ago. I'll drink it this weekend. A little potent at 9.2% alcohol.
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - That was nice of her to think of you.
Old October 13th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Running On Empty

The grocery store has Christmas Egg Nog already and I've been bringing it in my lunch. Makes me feel fancy. Have a good day everyone.
Mike - A couple years ago I was in the mood for a little Holiday spirit...

Old October 13th, 2022, 12:50 PM

The inside of the decking boards are made of a composite material then wrapped/coated in a vinyl like material this is probably about 1/16 to 1/32-inch thick.
If the boards are wrapped on all 4 sides, would it be possible to remove that board and flip it over?
Old October 13th, 2022, 12:53 PM
Running On Empty

If the boards are wrapped on all 4 sides, would it be possible to remove that board and flip it over?
Asked (Post 44097) & answered (Post 44101).
Old October 13th, 2022, 12:53 PM

Taco Thursday

Old October 13th, 2022, 01:31 PM

Nice suggestion Kenneth, Mike had made the same one above. Unfortunately they are only wrapped on 3 sides. I have a lead on two of the exact boards that are currently on a display at a materials company that we can probably make.work, but the company owner does not want to disassemble the display until this winter. Because of the inter-locking system that holds the decking boards together without each one being screwed to the joists, you have to take each of the planks off in succession, you can't simply pluck up boards from the middle. We're still looking for the needed footage from other materials companies, and the display boards are a fall back option at.this point.
Old October 13th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I like the big (flat) shells, also; which can accommodate a proper amount of fixin's.