The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2022, 02:41 PM

Chris, I sure wish you were closer. I jes made a BIG pot of chili
Old October 20th, 2022, 03:13 PM
Always room for one more

I'm close! I'm close! Well, closer than St. Louis anyway. I want some of your meatloaf.

Today is October 20. My aunt's birthday is today. A guy I knew when I was in high school's birthday is today. Man I'd like to see him again. And it's my neighbor's birthday today. He hanged himself on his 29th birthday a couple years ago. No one had a clue. I actually think his girlfriend killed him, accidentally or otherwise, and made up the story that she found him hanging in the doorway. I continue to feel bad for his mother. Her husband was shot and killed by our neighbor. She's got things together now but once in a while she'll post something on facebook that is sad.

I had an idea the other day when we were waiting in the hospital. Lots of people were there and in pain, and I said the rule should be they give you some morphine when you check in. Not a lot, just a little bit to take the edge off. Then maybe have the candy striper come through every now and then with some.

Beautiful out but cold. I got the ice alert message in the car this morning. Believe me, if there were ice on the roads around here I'd stay home. The soccer moms in their 4 wheel drive Suburbans think they are safe to drive as usual on ice. It only means that two extra wheels are powering you into the ditch. The trees around the lake are turning and when the sun hits them about this time in the evening it looks like they are glowing.

Old October 20th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - One serving of Meatloaf for you...

Old October 20th, 2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, good to hear that all went well with the missus. I can't give you anymore advice than what you have already gotten. I am familar with step n fetch it. I just recently saw that he chose that name for himself.
Dan - Sure appreciate your well wishes and kind words!

Old October 20th, 2022, 03:35 PM

Mike, It takes me 10 minutes of prep and 45 minutes of bake time [30 covered /15 lid off] to make a meatloaf. I'd be happy to make one BUT you gotta come get it. I'm headed norte Saturday around noon. ya could bring me a jerry can pick up some tin and a sand blaster and be home before it cooled only ya gotta return my Pyrex dish sooner rather than later. [ I' m down to about 10]

Jes let me know.

Old October 20th, 2022, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I sure wish you were closer. I jes made a BIG pot of chili
Jim - The kind thought is just as nice as the actual deed in my book, thank you!

Old October 20th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more

My God Norm barf!!! I can't stand that dude. Jamesbo sadly I'll have to wait on the meatloaf.

No working this weekend. I've got plenty to do around here. Hope I do some of it. Probably a lot of errands as well.

Old October 20th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Old October 20th, 2022, 04:14 PM

Norm, I think ya got Mike's attention
Old October 20th, 2022, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
My God Norm barf!!! I can't stand that dude. Jamesbo sadly I'll have to wait on the meatloaf.

No working this weekend. I've got plenty to do around here. Hope I do some of it. Probably a lot of errands as well.
NEVER DISRESPECT THE LOAF!!!!

I will youtube link his videos from here to Vahallah!
Old October 20th, 2022, 07:06 PM
Running On Empty

Second helping...

Old October 20th, 2022, 11:38 PM
GCH

Glenn that's sure a tough one. Cancer is definitely unrelenting, that's for sure. Glad the Chrysler has a new home. I'm a closet MOPAR guy. Closet nothing, come to my house and see all my Valiants.
Yes Mike , have also two other friends with tumors in the brain. Like Chrysler also Miss my -71 Valiant ,
it was my daily driver for a couple years ( worked great wintertime also ) the 225 slant six ran nice , my
brother had an -69 Dart with 225 also long time ago.
Old October 21st, 2022, 04:38 AM

I love Meatloaf, both the dish and the guy. He was one of those guys who had a bunch of great music of the rock opera type. Most of his better stuff was buried in the back side of his albums. Listen to "when the rubber hits the road" if you get a chance. Going to see my 1st "patient" as a Hospice volunteer today. I'm sorta nervous. 83 year old man with Alzheimer's....
Old October 21st, 2022, 04:47 AM

Greg,

A while back a was head of the Ga hospice workers asso. paid me a visit. Interesting [to me at least] Although 99.999% of patients that enter hospice care. don't come out. She said the hardest thing to do is to get the family to make arrangements/

I greatly admire your volunteering

FWIF

IMHO Music went to hell when Buddy Holly died
Old October 21st, 2022, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Yes Mike , have also two other friends with tumors in the brain.
Glenn - So sorry to hear about your friends with the brain tumors, that's very sad! I hope they can be treated, and modern medicine can do some miraculous things these days. Our prayers will be with them, and you!
Old October 21st, 2022, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Going to see my 1st "patient" as a Hospice volunteer today. I'm sorta nervous. 83 year old man with Alzheimer's....
Greg - Like Jim, I sincerely admire your willingness to help and comfort those in need!!
Old October 21st, 2022, 07:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slow here at Big D. These people have no sense of urgency. Our lead is not here today. The other lead could not have been more succinct. Get done, get out. Yet people lollygag.

I'm about at my wits' end trying to find a car. And now I need to do it quickly. Neither Jeep that I like will work, anything GM is too tall, I'm not keen on buying anything "imported." I kind of like the Honda Crosstour but alas, they weren't popular and there aren't many around. And any Transit Connect(dogmobile) I find has mega miles on it and is too expensive. Sheesh. When have I ever had such a time finding a car. Well, with so much time at work I can shop around.

Greg what was it that made you want to do this volunteer work? Good luck with your first patient today.

Glenn I can go you one better. My first Valiant has a 170 in it. My Grandma didn't want to spring for the "big" engine.

Well it's a good thing I brought my lunch. Maybe we'll get lucky and the lead will say phuque it and we'll go home. Ah, dreaming.

Have a good Friday everyone.

Old October 21st, 2022, 12:20 PM

Mike - I sure hope you find a decent vehicle soon that meets your needs!

My wife had a great first day after surgery yesterday, and got a decent night's sleep. She is feeling so good today that she's up and about, and wanting to do light duty stuff. I'm trying to reign her in, but like I've admitted before, I ain't the boss, and she's damn tough when her mind is set on something.

She painted this today, oil paint on 19" x 16" canvas, for one of the newly renovated bathrooms. It matches the colors in the bathroom perfectly. Of course I'm very biased, but I think it's pretty damn good for a novice. She just sat down and did this in about 1/2-hour.

Old October 21st, 2022, 04:18 PM

Chris, that's a nice painting, sorta impressionist.
Old October 21st, 2022, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, that's a nice painting, sorta impressionist.
Thanks Dan, I completely agree with your "impressionist" categorization.
Old October 21st, 2022, 06:49 PM

Ok, time for the 1st big reveal, my wife's "refresh" of our hall bathroom is done. The Master Bath is not quite done yet.

Before - Pale yellow walls; Golden oak cabinet; Chrome faucets and shower head; Brushed nickel fixtures, Tan shower curtain and rugs

After - Light gray walls; Dark gray cabinet; Rubbed bronze faucets, shower head, and fixtures; Gray rugs; White shower curtain with Gray pattern; the picture she painted today on the wall; White frame around the mirror she fabricated herself

She did all the painting, fixture exchanges, and plumbing herself. Total cost ~$310. I think it looks amazing and I'm pretty damn proud of her!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 21st, 2022 at 06:57 PM.
Old October 21st, 2022, 09:25 PM

She did all the painting, fixture exchanges, and plumbing herself.
Damn fine job I would say.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 04:03 AM
Running On Empty

Nice upgrades in the bathroom. Unfortunately, the painting wasn't signed by the artist. This needs to be addressed as some may mistake it for a fake.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 06:14 AM

Thanks guys for the compliments on her work! She sure makes it easy on me, and with her picking out all the colors and styles of fixtures, etc., her liking the end result is insured, and that's the ultimate goal right!

Norm - Hilarious, I had teased her about not signing the painting, great minds think alike!
Old October 22nd, 2022, 09:22 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Chris that wasn't a light refresh, that was an overhaul! Looks terrific. Every bathroom I own needs this.

Beautiful out. My plan for the day is schlepping more stuff from old house to new house. I came over here about 1030 and Mom had on some sappy Christmas movie. Hey how can you go wrong with Candice Cameron and Patrick Dempsey. So I had to watch the end of that. I know I've mentioned my affliction with TV before. If I sit down to TV at 9am I'll still be there at 6pm. It's just one of those things.

In amongst the moving today I'm going to look at cars online and -hopefully- find a good one. I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, Mom is having hip surgery in a couple weeks, and if she has trouble getting in and out of this car now, it will be a disaster after surgery. Trans guy is covered up for weeks so the dogmobile is out of the picture.

I'm using the diesel Suburban today, it will be a good run for it. I don't drive it very much. I'm trying to find a place I can set up my waste oil still so I can get on with making my own fuel, thus having a giant station wagon economy car.

Okay happy Saturday everyone.

Old October 22nd, 2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Unfortunately, the painting wasn't signed by the artist. This needs to be addressed as some may mistake it for a fake.
100% agree! My neice is an artist and years ago did some paintings for us when she was just getting started. I insisted she sign them because they are so good that one day she may be famouns, and I wanted proof that these are her early work.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 03:56 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris that wasn't a light refresh, that was an overhaul! Looks terrific. Every bathroom I own needs this.
Thanks Mike, I'll let her know! I sure hope your Mom's surgery goes well and it makes it much easier for her to get around! She will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 22nd, 2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 06:15 PM
Always room for one more

Well I spent all afternoon, and I mean all afternoon, on Carmax's lot. Yes I know Carmax is a ripoff. Actually these days with the price of used cars so high, their prices don't seem so ridiculous. The salesman wasn't available so I went out and cruised the lot by myself. I saw every car. I had a tape measure and measured lots of cars to see if they matched the measurements of the dogmobile. Out of all the cars there the Volkswagen Tiguan was the only one that fit the bill. The one they had was above what I wanted to pay, so he's transferring in a couple others. Won't cost me a thing. He said, if I don't like them no problem, someone else will. Hm. Can't beat that.

I did get a few things moved over to my house. Also got a couple things moved and put away over here. I'd call today a success. I didn't get the car squared away but we are moving in a positive direction.

Tomorrow will be the typical Sunday. Awful house, Walmart, get ready for work early. Supposed to warm up this week.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old October 22nd, 2022, 06:29 PM

Well I spent all afternoon, and I mean all afternoon, on Carmax's lot. Yes I know Carmax is a ripoff. Actually these days with the price of used cars so high, their prices don't seem so ridiculous. The salesman wasn't available so I went out and cruised the lot by myself. I saw every car. I had a tape measure and measured lots of cars to see if they matched the measurements of the dogmobile. Out of all the cars there the Volkswagen Tiguan was the only one that fit the bill.
Mike - I've never seen one of those Tiguans in person, but they look like a very nice, larger sized SUV in the commercials. Have you done any research on dependability or known issues?
Old October 22nd, 2022, 06:40 PM
Always room for one more

Only a little. I have a day or so to do some research. From what I have read owner satisfaction runs about 80%. But I don't know where or how that data was collected.

They aren't bad looking cars and have a nice VW quality interior. I'm a big fan of the air cooled VWs so fingers crossed this one is as nice. We'll see.

Old October 22nd, 2022, 06:53 PM

Only a little. I have a day or so to do some research. From what I have read owner satisfaction runs about 80%. But I don't know where or how that data was collected.

They aren't bad looking cars and have a nice VW quality interior. I'm a big fan of the air cooled VWs so fingers crossed this one is as nice. We'll see.
I was just curious, I know nothing about them, and don't know anyone that owns one. Good luck finding one that meets your needs!
Old October 23rd, 2022, 04:31 AM

Hi guys.
-- Mike , why am I volunteering? Wifey and I used to send some $$ to donate whenever something was in the news- (Katrina, Sunomi or local event), I could work overtime or take on call at my job. But now since retired I can't make extra $$, but I have more time So I decided to donate time as long as I am able. I started both the Red Cross and the Hospice earlier this year and nothing happened all summer. In September I took the classes for Hospice and was getting ready to see a patient and hurricane Ian came so I went to Florida for 2 weeks. Now back and saw my first Hospice patient Friday. I can't say anything about him (privacy,etc), I think it will be a good experience though.
--Yesterday my sister and brother in law came and spent the night. In morning we took down boat cover and dock and took boat over to landing, so all is out. Aww fall time sucks in that way....
Old October 23rd, 2022, 05:20 AM
Running On Empty

My year for dental issues. The root canal on a canine tooth this past Wednesday went w/o a hitch. Unfortunately, a lower molar is erupting (pulp dying) from its socket. Pain is pretty damn bad. Saw primary dentist Friday. On antibiotics - extraction scheduled for tomorrow 10AM.

Greg - Thanks for your contributions - you're a good person.

Our club's Seafood Golf Tournament is being held this weekend. Had a nice seafood dinner Friday night (I loaded up w/ Ibuprofen + Acetaminophen). There are 120 players divided into 10 flights (six 2-man teams/flight [(6x2) x10 = 120]. Flights are created based upon GHIN HI. Once flights are established no handicap awarded. Format is Best Ball/team. There is also an optional modified Calcutta w/o Auction ($100 Buy-In/person). Currently I'm in 1st Place (w/ my team partner) w/in our Flight (#3). Tee-time today is 11:10AM.
Old October 23rd, 2022, 06:42 AM

Norm - Sorry to hear about another bad tooth and your pain!

You're a tough one brother! Best of luck today and hit em straight!
Old October 23rd, 2022, 12:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Sunny, not hot, very nice. Mom is feeling under the weather and I went to Walmart by myself. Ah, it was like old times. Got what I needed and split. No lingering looking at every item in the store.

Greg that's sort of how I feel with the museum I volunteer at. They have a lot of rich people on the Board so they don't need money, so I go out and volunteer. I usually end up doing stupid things but it helps the curator by not having to find time to do things. There's a lot of volunteers that show up most every day, but they only stay around long enough to drink coffee then they leave.

Got an email in to my friend in Australia. He used to be a Volkswagen mechanic. I don't know if that market had the Tiguan but if they did he'd know about them. One time he told me, don't buy a Volkswagen without a warranty. Hm. Carmax offers a warranty it might be worth looking into.

Think I'll putter around here a little. Another week is upon us. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Old October 23rd, 2022, 12:55 PM

Hi everyone.
Got an email in to my friend in Australia. He used to be a Volkswagen mechanic. I don't know if that market had the Tiguan but if they did he'd know about them.
Great idea!
Old October 23rd, 2022, 05:37 PM

After I put in a litle O.T. today, i headed out with the camera about 12 miles north of me to Duck Lake, which is adjacent to Lake Michigan. I thought that there would be some good fall colors to get pics of on the far side of the lake, but no such luck, colors gone already. Headed to another park close to me, where there had been plenty of wildlife in the past, but it was pretty much dead except for redwing blackbirds. Oh well. My cheap a$$ parted with the bucks and finally ordered a new lens to replace the one that I mucked up, a Tamron 18-270mm lens. Should be here Wednesday.
Old October 23rd, 2022, 06:59 PM

Dan - Too bad you struck out on finding any good photo-ops, but glad you are going to be able to replace your lens.
Old October 23rd, 2022, 07:01 PM

Someone is never shy about making it known he wants his belly scratched!
Old October 24th, 2022, 03:58 AM

Dan, looks like colors are about at their peak around here (maybe 100 miles north of you). Yesterday we took a boat ride with neighbors, it was amazing how many leaves were in lake- floating around like little jet streams, weird looking.