The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2023, 11:31 AM
Always room for one more

He's in Wood River. I gotta call him anyway, last time I talked to him was Christmas. He's a carpenter and works some odd hours, and also has some side hustle so I never know when to call. Funny, people used to say that about me when I worked midnights.
Old April 16th, 2023, 11:41 AM

Sometimes ya get lucky and draw the long end of the stick. Just got done purchasing a new motorcycle policy for both bikes. I had been using Geico for several years and it kept creeping up year after year, but was still competitive each time I checked. Well, the next premium that's due towards the end of May, Geico wanted to jack it up another 25%, even though I've never had an accident or claim. Started researching and found I could get better coverage with Progressive for almost 50% of what the new quote from Geico is. No brainer, done deal!
Old April 16th, 2023, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
He's in Wood River. I gotta call him anyway, last time I talked to him was Christmas. He's a carpenter and works some odd hours, and also has some side hustle so I never know when to call. Funny, people used to say that about me when I worked midnights.
Ah, Wood River, that's right next to Alton. I've road through Wood River many times to get to the scenic Illinois River Road to ride north to Hannibal, MO, it's a pretty ride.
Old April 16th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Well, as it turns out, I dodged a bullet even more than I realized last night. I knew it was bad, and as far as storms go it takes alot to unsettle me, but I was last night, and that's why I made sure everyone was in the basement. As it turned out, it has now been confirmed by the NWS that an EF1 touched down in our town of Pevely, MO.
https://www.kmov.com/2023/04/15/st-l...tornado-watch/
Old April 16th, 2023, 03:47 PM

Cold front just went thru here a hour ago. Cooled right off but no winds, storms just a medium rain. It has been 70-80 in the day and 50-60's at night. Now down to about 45. It was nice while it lasted. Now weather guesser sz 1-3 inches......
Old April 16th, 2023, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Now weather guesser sz 1-3 inches......
That really sucks!
Old April 16th, 2023, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

The Queen in our foursome team is from Midland, Michigan dontchanoderhey.
Old April 16th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The Queen in our foursome team is from Midland, Michigan dontchanoderhey.
Two most important questions?
1. Did she have game?
2. If she didn't have game, was she decent eye candy!
Old April 16th, 2023, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Two most important questions?
1. Did she have game?
2. If she didn't have game, was she decent eye candy!
1. Yes
2. No
Old April 16th, 2023, 07:40 PM

Spent weekend on the house. Cleared out stuff from the guest room yesterday, touched up a water spot on the ceiling. Grilled chicken on new grill last night. Today, I decorated the guest room. I hung two framed sets of my grandfather's drafting class drawings, his diploma, a framed sunset scene and a woven Peruvian rug, both from my mom, a framed print my dad took at Disney World in the 70s and was in his dental office for 40 years, and an old mirror from grandma's basement over a bureau from the same. Mirror cleaned up well, they look good together. I'll photo it once room is clean.

Grilled cheeseburgers tonight. This grill is more of a grille than the Coleman Roadtrip, which is more of a coleman stove. Learning the **** positions for power for various meats. Oh, I did a steak on Friday, so I have got my three usuals in. Lots of flare ups, I need to get a squirt bottle.
Old April 16th, 2023, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Spent weekend on the house.
John - You're certainly keeping busy. Really nice that you used all the family heirlooms to decorate!
Old April 16th, 2023, 08:48 PM
Running On Empty

I bought an Alpaca rug in Lima (1981). Had a tough time getting it into the states. Required a 24 hour quarantine by USDA for testing because it was a natural skin product.
Old April 16th, 2023, 08:50 PM
Running On Empty

Started watching a new Netflix series - ‘Florida Man’.
Old April 16th, 2023, 09:08 PM

I may have to watch that some day.
Old April 17th, 2023, 04:25 AM

Snowing this morning, very fine- "snow like meal, snow a great deal". That's what my father in law usta say.. I don't think there will be much though it does look like meal. Got engine out of the 09 F150 yesterday, what a PIA. Now today going to tear it down and see what troubles are. Texted with guy who is painting my old 56, he sent some pics- he is coming right along.
Old April 17th, 2023, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Snowing this morning, very fine- "snow like meal, snow a great deal". That's what my father in law usta say.. I don't think there will be much though it does look like meal. Got engine out of the 09 F150 yesterday, what a PIA. Now today going to tear it down and see what troubles are. Texted with guy who is painting my old 56, he sent some pics- he is coming right along.
Greg - It ain't the Bahamas here this morning at 40°, but snow there, sure don't miss that $hit! Good luck with the engine.
Old April 17th, 2023, 07:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Pretty morning, nice week. I hope to get a lot done outside after work this week.

My wall guy called in saying he was going to be late. At 730 he called and said he wasn't coming. So I have a guest wall guy today. He's a good guy and actually would train new people before he was an actual employee. Right now all of the wall guys are standing around talking and not working. This puzzles me. Although the lead is gone all week so this will probably be a common occurrence.

Chris glad the tornado skipped you. I have heard the freight train once. I worked in a small factory, in a big open building and we knew it was raining, blowing, hailing, etc. and for some reason, we all stopped working and stood around one of the big tables. Pretty soon that noise went right over our building. Very eerie. It must have been a funnel cloud that didn't touch down, thank the Good Lord. I seem to recall damage close by but the industrial park where we worked was unscathed.

Well John aren't you just Suzy Homemaker. If I could just get stuff put away then I'd be doing the same things. Funny, I started moving a year and a half ago, and not only am I not finished, most of the stuff I've brought over is still not put away. With it being nice this week, I should be able to load up the pickup and drive up to the porch and not have to walk 5 miles from the driveway. With all the rain we've been getting these last few weeks(months?) I can't drive on the grass.

I wanted to go to school in Midland, Michigan. Oddly enough it was a school that taught you how to run a car dealership. Not sure why I never went, except maybe no support from anyone. Turns out my friend Leo went to that school. He never did anything with it, I think he would be good at it.

So who wants to go with me to Dallas to pick up a car? I've been looking for an Impala SS for months. The car that I want is in Dallas. One might think that since they made 70,000 of them one would be for sale that I'd like around here. But with Jaunty's rule of only 2% left after 25 years, that means about 1400 are left, and divide that by 50 there'd be about 28 in the State of Georgia. Not great odds. And of course I want a green one, and with the floor shift, and everyone else does, too.

Guess I'll get ready for lunch. Have a good day everyone.

Old April 17th, 2023, 07:43 AM

Mike, I would never fly into Dallas. sometimes when the wind sheers are bad, they abandon the tower. Is that Delta et still sitting crashed off the runway?
Old April 17th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Always room for one more

I don't know for sure but I'd say since that plane crashed in 1985 it's been moved by now.

Old April 17th, 2023, 08:48 AM

Mike, I thought it was 88?
Old April 17th, 2023, 08:51 AM
Always room for one more

Ah, I was thinking Flight 191, the L1011 that hit the water tanks on landing. Flight 1141 had a rather interesting turn of events. The cockpit voice recorder revealed that the flight crew and a flight attendant were kibitzing in the cockpit waiting for takeoff, and discussed what would happen if they crashed on takeoff. Well, we found out.

By the way, 1141 had nothing to do with windshear. Unless it was the windy conversation...

Old April 17th, 2023, 09:11 AM

Ooops forgot flaps right?
Old April 17th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Always room for one more

One of pilots called for flaps, but the lever was never moved.

When I worked on 727s we did a test of the Take Off Warning System that was a direct result of this crash. Apparently the warning system was inop but not tagged(I'm guessing it was a no go item anyway) so when they spooled up for takeoff there was no warning that the aircraft was not configured correctly.

What dumbasses. Hey, what do you think would happen if we crashed just now? Sheesh.

Old April 17th, 2023, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris glad the tornado skipped you. I have heard the freight train once. I worked in a small factory, in a big open building and we knew it was raining, blowing, hailing, etc. and for some reason, we all stopped working and stood around one of the big tables. Pretty soon that noise went right over our building. Very eerie. It must have been a funnel cloud that didn't touch down, thank the Good Lord. I seem to recall damage close by but the industrial park where we worked was unscathed.
Mike - Thanks, glad you escaped a close brush with one also. Hope you can get the deal done on the Impala SS, I always liked the looks of that car for that time period. I've never rode in one, but they just look like they'd ride really nice. I hope you're planning on getting your Chrysler out to some cruise-ins this Summer. That car is just too unique and nice not to get it out and show it off!
Old April 17th, 2023, 12:44 PM

The wife and I fly into and out of Dallas at least 2x yearly, and have for the past 15 or so years. Have yet to miss the runway.
Old April 17th, 2023, 02:20 PM

Texas is a different place. The space and arid climate are different. Flying into San Angelo, American has all sorts of planes parked with covers over the engines as they sit mothballed. Part of the neatness of hunting out there was the difference in the geography.
Old April 17th, 2023, 04:44 PM
Running On Empty

I flew into Dallas every week for ~11 months (2004?). Same weekly routine EWN>CLT>DFW (Sunday night or Monday morning) DFW>CLT>EWN (Thursday evening or Friday morning) - never saw any crashed aircraft anywhere @ DFW. I had the same routine every week for 12 months into Houston (2005?) EWN>CLT>IAH; IAH>CLT>EWN. During my tenure as a used piece of jet trash I accumulated ~1,600,000 Useless Airways Chairman Club award miles.

I've been on several V1 aborts, several aborted before V1 & numerous go-arounds. Unless you're a pilot, you might not know what a leading edge wing vortex is. Most likely the most frightened I've been on a commercial aircraft was a flight from my home airport (EWN) > Charlotte (CLT). During my 15 years of global flying I made the EWN>CLT run ~300 times. After circling in the holding area outside CLT we were cleared for inbound to CLT. During straight & level flight entering CLT ATC inbound our (De Havilland) Dash8 IMMEDIATELY (<1second) rotated 90° to the right & w/in the next one second IMMEDIATELY rotated back left to straight & level flight. It was either an ATC separation error or a pilot error. I did not $hit my pants but I'm pretty certain several passengers could not say the same. I knew immediately we had caught a falling leading edge wing vortex from a Heavy (aircraft) somewhere above us. One of the first things they teach you to avoid in pilot training.
Old April 18th, 2023, 07:14 AM

Norm, I was flying back from shotting Patos in Cuba and we got a late start and got into some weather coming up the east Florida coast. In order to avoid trafic around the Fort Pierce airport we were instructed to climb to X feet every time we did down drafts made us fall like a rock. I IDidnt care for it and my pilot knew it. When we landed he offered to take me up again during nicer weather. Unfortunately a few weeks later his King air iced up taking some architected to Baltimore. And thats all she wrote /
Old April 18th, 2023, 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - That's unfortunate. Easy to provide arm-chair speculation on icing; none-the-less, very unfortunate.
Old April 18th, 2023, 07:54 AM

Playing grab *** with his new squeeze and not paying attention to flying It will get you every time just like the [above] Delta pilots Mike was speaking of
Old April 18th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

There are exceptions, but generally >90% of all crashes result from pilot error(s)...i.e. JFK, Jr > Martha's Vineyard.
Old April 18th, 2023, 08:32 AM

Growing up as a child in the 1960's in Rosedale, NY. Just across from Idlewild airport, Now JFK airport. Few times we would be eating diner. Only to hear large exposition. Running out the front door. To see passenger jets on fire in the nature preserve between JFK and our home. This happen a few times when I lived there. I rarely fly. I seen too many crashes. Jet travel is a lot safer today. But a huge amount of jets in the sky compared to back in the 60's. You will not get me to fly.
Old April 18th, 2023, 09:21 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Extended lunch today. There was a "town hall" meeting today that we were all supposed to go to, and it ran into lunch, so people are taking their own sweet time. I don't blame them. I didn't go to the meeting. It's at the other end of the building and I can't walk that far, and I wasn't going to try. Not to mention the 40 steps up to the room after we get there.

So the meeting is all the muckety mucks standing up telling us how wonderful they are and all they've done for the company and the employees. Then they entertain questions, of which none are actually answered. A big waste of time.

I don't know anything about a King Air's deicing but I know ice on a wing is pretty much a death sentence. You wouldn't think so, it's very thin but it disrupts the airflow and spoils lift. I've been on exactly one plane that did a go-around. It was pretty cool. I've been on plenty of planes that had turbulence. I never was -really- concerned but it isn't very much fun.

Hm, I don't see much more getting done today. Initially we were going to skip the meeting and have some sort of live stream over the internet we could listen in, but then someone wanted us to be there in person. I have a feeling they knew we weren't going to hit our target today, so they wanted to use the meeting as an excuse, instead of missing the target due to apathy. Why that matters when every other day is apathy is a mystery to me.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone. Beautiful here, I might walk past the roll up door to see some of it.

Old April 18th, 2023, 10:57 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Received message from U.S.G.A./C.G.A. (CGA = Carolinas Golf Association) asking if I would consider being a Marshal Hole Captain for Marshal Volunteers for next year's 2024 U.S. Open Championship Monday, June 10 - Sunday, June 16, 2024 @ Pinehurst Resort & Country Club.
I registered today.
Old April 18th, 2023, 11:48 AM

Jim - Received message from U.S.G.A./C.G.A. (CGA = Carolinas Golf Association) asking if I would consider being a Marshal Hole Captain for Marshal Volunteers for next year's 2024 U.S. Open Championship Monday, June 10 - Sunday, June 16, 2024 @ Pinehurst Resort & Country Club.
I registered today.
Norm - Congratualtions, that's very prestigious! 👍
Old April 18th, 2023, 01:18 PM

Norm Congratulations
Old April 18th, 2023, 01:21 PM

How high up is that tournament in the pantheon of golf?
Old April 18th, 2023, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
How high up is that tournament in the pantheon of golf?
It is "the" highest level of competitive championship golf.
There are two significant features which set it apart from other "so-called" golf tournaments:
(1) There is no affiliation with any private golf association/organization e.g. PGA Tour. Many (Most) professional golfers belong to the PGA Tour; and,
(2) Any qualifying amateur can play in the U.S. Open Championship. The field is comprised of both PGA Tour golfers as well as Amateur golfers.
The U.S. Open Championship (including several other championships) is a U.S.G.A. sanctioned/sponsored event. The United States Golf Association (USGA) is the United States national association of golf courses, clubs and facilities and the governing body of golf for the U.S. and Mexico. The European counterpart is R&A. The U.S.G.A & R&A are the highest levels of authority for which the rules of the game of golf are defined/established and by which all events (including PGA Tour) are decided.
Old April 18th, 2023, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

Chris/Jim - Thanks. I enjoy this game.
Old April 18th, 2023, 02:33 PM

It is "the" highest level of competitive championship golf.
There are two significant features which set it apart from other "so-called" golf tournaments:
(1) There is no affiliation with any private golf association/organization e.g. PGA Tour. Many (Most) professional golfers belong to the PGA Tour; and,
(2) Any qualifying amateur can play in the U.S. Open Championship. The field is comprised of both PGA Tour golfers as well as Amateur golfers.
The U.S. Open Championship (including several other championships) is a U.S.G.A. sanctioned/sponsored event. The United States Golf Association (USGA) is the United States national association of golf courses, clubs and facilities and the governing body of golf for the U.S. and Mexico. The European counterpart is R&A. The U.S.G.A & R&A are the highest levels of authority for which the rules of the game of golf are defined/established and by which all events (including PGA Tour) are decided.
Good answer.