The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2023, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Just looked up TPMS on line. I had no idea they were so cheap!
Well they should as there's not much to them. Several years ago our competitive analysis group did a teardown and found they were made up of a couple dollars worth of parts.
Back then they cost around $75 from the dealer, and I was kinda surprised to see they were powered by a regular 3 Volt lithium coin cell. So if your 30 cent battery went dead, you had to buy a new $75 sensor.
Old April 25th, 2023, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - What you stated makes absolute perfect sense. Why would anyone attempt to replace a battery when they can buy an entire new one for 25 to 30 times more cost.
Old April 25th, 2023, 05:59 PM
Running On Empty

My math may be off in my response above but I agree with you. BTW, where the hell can you buy ANY battery for 30 cents today?
Old April 25th, 2023, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Exactly, does that include the culture?
Norm - Yes, total cost included the culture (MVL Aerobic Culture), which was the largest component ($126) of the cost.
Old April 25th, 2023, 06:29 PM

Apparently clogged *** glands is the worse stink a dog can make when cleared.
Old April 25th, 2023, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My math may be off in my response above but I agree with you. BTW, where the hell can you buy ANY battery for 30 cents today?
Wholesale cost for a mass manufacturer.
40 count on Amazon for 25 cents each. Cost would be much less when purchased by the thousands directly from the manufacturer or wholesale distributor.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Fun71; April 25th, 2023 at 08:59 PM.
Old April 26th, 2023, 02:40 AM
Running On Empty

Ha. Computers use the 2032 battery to power the CMOS (RTC) on Motherboards. I never consider where I buy batteries but I feel like I'm being raped each time I need to buy them. Thanks. I'll have to consider buying batteries on-line. I generally buy the top line manufacturer batteries maybe that's why they cost so much.

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wholesale cost for a mass manufacturer.
40 count on Amazon for 25 cents each. Cost would be much less when purchased by the thousands directly from the manufacturer or wholesale distributor.

https://www.amazon.com/JUNPOWER-CR20...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old April 26th, 2023, 02:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Mike that is a A&W behind truck- YUMMY!!
I love A&W root beer stands...
Old April 26th, 2023, 05:04 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Not too bad of a start this morning. My wall guy is actually doing a pretty good job. Here's my theory. He has a twin brother that comes in sometimes and does a good job. And then the regular twin comes in and does a bad job.

Nice morning starting off, but I'm guessing it will go down hill fast.

Trailer still attached to the truck. I don't even notice it anymore. Who knows, I might happen upon some smokin' deal and be able to tow it home with me.

Well have a good morning everyone.

Old April 26th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Yeah, when Discount said it was $60 for all 4, not each,
Big price drop from 6-7 years ago.
Old April 27th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Big price drop from 6-7 years ago.
Yep. I believe my company, Continental, makes these, too. Cheap little sensors, first time I replaced any on a vehicle was the wife's Enclave, and I think they charged me $60 EACH then. I was not happy, considering I knew then that they were likely sold to the OEM's for $2-$4 each.

Old April 27th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone. For a few more minutes.

We got off to a good start this morning. And believe it or not I'm at 24 wheels at lunch time. What helped today was my wall guy got 12 contract wheels. The robot is of course broken so the wheels that are built somewhere else and brought up all go to him. Cool.

So the other day my neighbor the hot rodder came over and got the 57 and took it to his house to work on. Brakes, fuel system, I don't remember what else I had parts for. How cool will it be to drive that car again. I've been looking for some seats I could put in the front that would be comfortable. Seats out of a pickup like mine would be nice because they are big, they sit up a little, and the seatbelt is integral. The car doesn't have seat belts at all now.

No rain yet but it's on its way. No real plans after work, just go check on the car. Maybe just play with Tiger.

Okay lunch is done. Have a good day everyone.

Old April 27th, 2023, 08:56 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I've been looking for some seats I could put in the front that would be comfortable.
These have lumbar support and can be floor mounted...

Old April 27th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Always room for one more

It's not a convertible.

Old April 27th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Always room for one more

So my friend got the Chev cranked up but says the new fuel pump isn't pumping. After messing around with it his best guess is the eccentric on the cam has worn down. Never heard of that happening but after 65 years I guess anything is possible. Since I don't want to change the cam it might end up we put on an electric pump.

It rained part of the afternoon and everything is a muddy mess. Also, I saw that the passenger floor in the car is all wet. I tried to call for an appointment to take it in, and stayed on hold a half hour and got fed up. I may give my salesman a call and let him take care of it. He was already working the angle of trading before we even drove out.

The rule of not starting early on Friday has apparently been lifted, as we are starting early tomorrow. I still am not a fan, but now I can go see my friends at the Awful house and have an extra half day to do things. So it's not all bad.

Old April 27th, 2023, 06:49 PM
Running On Empty

Mike- Double-check fuel pump arm is correctly aligned on the eccentric. I believe the arm rides above the eccentric, if below you get no pumping. You can view eccentric with a mirror & flashlight - did the key come off the woodruff? Don’t hear of an eccentric wearing down very often.
Old April 27th, 2023, 07:16 PM

I thought Chevy fuel pumps used a push rod between the pump arm and the camshaft eccentric. If that arm is worn down the pump wouldn’t work properly.
Old April 27th, 2023, 07:52 PM

Kenneth, that's Corvettes, amongst others.

Mike, do a 1 to 1 comparison of the fuel pump armatures. I bet it's the wrong pump, or, what Norm said about lineup.
Old April 27th, 2023, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Kenneth, that's Corvettes, amongst others.
I’m just going by what Mike said about a Chev engine.

Are Corvette engines different than non-Corvette Chevy engines?
Old April 28th, 2023, 03:49 AM

Guess what ? Headed norte
Old April 28th, 2023, 04:04 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

How funny. My alarm went off at 215 this morning and my first thought was, that's rude.

Good start to things this morning. Next week I should have my better wall guy back. The robot is fixed, or so they say. It's being used right now, hope it lasts awhile.

I also thought the arm from the fuel pump rode on the eccentric, but my friend says no, even the small block has a rod between the pump and the cam. I guess he'd know. As long as he gets it to run.

My window I ordered from Home Depot two months ago is finally in. I'm going to get it this weekend and call my contractor. How nice it will be to get rid of the broken sliding door and have a nice regular door and window. I'll have to paint some new drywall, and that gives me the opportunity to paint the rest of the kitchen and freshen it up a little.

Okay more wheels. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old April 28th, 2023, 04:05 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Enjoy. I'm trying to decide if I'm playing this morning - on the cusp of rainy weather.
Old April 28th, 2023, 04:21 AM

Mike, I took the seats out of that F150 to clean up. Now looking at them I think they would be good in a old car. They mount to the floor and have seat belts mounted to them. There is a middle arm rest and compartment but it is a separate piece. I think the seats would work alone in a narrower old car.
Yesterday I got my $800. of engine parts from Rockauto. So today I am going to start putting interior back in cuz it's sposta be nice out, then start reassembling engine, next week they say is gonna be cold and rainy so I plan to work in shop doing engine work. I'm gonna have to start yard work too- looking forward to it, I love spring.
Old April 28th, 2023, 07:32 AM

Here's a pic of the fuel pump, if that helps. Not the same as an old Olds or Pontiac, nor my dad's '88 Chev van, in which I replaced the pump for him.
Old April 28th, 2023, 09:19 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I also thought the arm from the fuel pump rode on the eccentric, but my friend says no, even the small block has a rod between the pump and the cam. I guess he'd know. As long as he gets it to run.
OK. It's a rod as opposed to an arm (ature) attached to the fuel pump which extends all the way to the eccentric (1st lobe on the camshaft) and sits between the fuel pump arm and the eccentric (1st lobe on camshaft). If that rod isn't moving you'll have no pumping going on. One of the other ways in which that rod won't move is if your buddy changed out the fuel pump holding the rod in place with a bolt and he forgot to remove the bolt he used to hold the rod in place. If that bolt is still in place, it will hold the rod from moving in/out on the eccentric. The fuel pump won't move against the rod, because the rod isn't moving against the eccentric (1st lobe on the camshaft) - it's stuck. Hate to belabor this, but another check is FAR, FAR better than replacing camshaft because the 1st lobe has worn down. If anything I'd think the end of the rod would wear before the lobe on the camshaft.

Double-check he has the absolute correct fuel pump. That arm (ature) has to be long enough to engage the rod.

Although, I guess you're going to use an electric fuel pump.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 28th, 2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old April 28th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Are Corvette engines different than non-Corvette Chevy engines?
I haven't looked it up (not sure I will) but I suspect the Corvette's may in fact be different than other Chevy engines.
Old April 28th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Running On Empty

So, I did venture a peak at a Corvette fuel pump. It looks the same as other Chevy fuel pumps, but looks are very deceiving.

Old April 28th, 2023, 09:40 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - What year, model and engine is the Chevy? Sorry, I'm stubborn - I find it difficult the camshaft lobe has worn down.
Old April 29th, 2023, 10:51 AM

This is what normally comes to mind for a fuel pump. This is from rock auto, and is what My Olds and the one for my '66 GTO looked like. The one I posted above, is for '57 Chevy with a 283.
Old April 29th, 2023, 10:55 AM

I went out into the garage, where i have a NOS pump for my car, and that is what it looks like.
Old April 29th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Running On Empty

I've replaced several mechanical fuel pumps over the years in various buggies. I recall replacing the fuel pump in a 1953 GMC pick-em-up truck I owned back in the early 1970s. I thought that truck was so cool with it's six windows which included the curved side what I called Opera windows.

Old April 29th, 2023, 03:59 PM

Not at all related but thought some may enjoy. Visiting with Mom and Dad today. They continue to hide each others easter baskets and dont have a clue where they are...
Moms brother Don (10 years elder and she will be 90 this December) shared this with me a while back before he passed. Miss him. Miss that generation. Miss my Mom and Dad...

Last edited by otto72; April 29th, 2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old April 29th, 2023, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Miss him. Miss that generation. Miss my Mom and Dad...
https://youtu.be/mz3CPzdCDws
Keith - Nice video! Not a day goes by that I don't miss Dad and Mom. My Dad was my Hero! Wish I was half the man he was in so many ways.
Old April 29th, 2023, 05:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Visiting with Mom and Dad today. They continue to hide each others easter baskets and dont have a clue where they are...Moms brother Don (10 years elder and she will be 90 this December) shared this with me a while back before he passed. Miss him. Miss that generation. Miss my Mom and Dad...
Keith - That's good stuff right there buddy.
Old April 29th, 2023, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Keith - Nice video! Not a day goes by that I don't miss Dad and Mom. My Dad was my Hero! Wish I was half the man he was in so many ways.
My old man is getting old and falling down. He needs to be convinced to get more medical attention.

I feel like crap myself today; may have a cold or the rona.
Old April 29th, 2023, 07:05 PM

Hi guys,

Norm - Love that old '53 GMC!

Haven't been on here much due to some pressing family issues. Nothing catastrophic, and I think we've got a particular family member on the right path now.

Took my wife and youngest daughter to the 5K Tough Mudder event today. Tough course with multiple large mud pits, ice baths, different types of obstacle walls, and even an electric shock gauntlet. Here's some pics:

Ready to head to the Starting Line. Note my wife's T-shirt

Headed out on the course, all smiles.

This thing is like a teeter-totter torture device. I saw more than one person get injured on this. They did a great job getting through it.

Headed up a big hill out of a mud pit

Headed up a 40-ft high rope ladder

My wife waiting for my daughter to get down on the back side of the rope ladder so they could help each other down the final section of vertical wall.

The electric shock gauntlet. You can see my daughter in the pink shirt in the front row on the right, pretty hard to distinguish my wife. They said it wasn't too bad.

Two Tough Mudders (Motha's)! Pretty proud of them both! My wife and daughter both said the two Ice Bath obstacles were the worst. It was only about 70° and a steady 15-mph breeze. They froze their ***** off after coming out of those.
Old April 29th, 2023, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
My old man is getting old and falling down. He needs to be convinced to get more medical attention.

I feel like crap myself today; may have a cold or the rona.
John - I know that care for Seniors ain't cheap, but maybe you could have someone check in on him at least a couple times a week, or would he be adverse to that? Might give you some peace of mind too? Sure hope you don't have the Rona and you get to feeling better soon!
Old April 29th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day today, but as luck would have it, it ended with rain. I swam against the current all day today. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel like things are unnecessarily complicated these days.

Went to look at a lawn mower. I don't have any way to get one home and the sign at Home Depot said free delivery. I asked about that and he said it was free delivery to the store and I'd have to pick it up. I said that doesn't make any sense, I'm not going to pay for for the manufacturer to send it to the store. He said they'd deliver it to my house for $79. I said that isn't free. He said I could rent a truck for 20 an hour. I said that isn't free, either. Picking it up at the store is me retrieving it, not them delivering it. I wasn't sure if he wasn't understanding what I was saying or if he couldn't be bothered with me.

Went to buy a lockset. I wanted new locks at Mom's house to match the ones at my house so I had kept the code and asked if I could order the same code. Nope. They won't go back and make old locksets but she would rekey a new set to my key. Okay. So I sat an hour watching her fiddle with the locks and I'm not completely convinced she got it right. Well the keys that came with the lockset were obviously not going to work so I asked if she'd make me a couple keys, since I was paying for them in the set. No problem. But the cashier wanted to charge me for them and I said I had no intention of paying for them, which sent her into tilt mode. Finally the first girl came over and said no I didn't have to pay for the keys.

Mom wanted pizza for dinner. I walked into Pizza Hut and said I wanted the three topping deal for $15. She said that was only for the internet and if I ordered it there it would be over 20. So I said, if I went to my car and ordered it on my phone it would be 15 and not 20. Oh not, I could order it there and pay for it there but it had to be online. So I ordered it on my phone, gave her cash, and asked how that was any different then her just ordering it on the cash register. No answer for that. So I went out to my pickup, which was parked RIGHT OUTSIDE THE DOOR and when it was ready they put it on the warming oven and she waited for me to come inside, instead of waving to me or sticking her head out the door. Every bit of today was my fault. I expected too much from people and wouldn't accept that things were overly complicated. Sheesh. What was I thinking.

So back to the fuel pump. This is for my 57 Chevy with the original 283 in it. My friend was working on his airplane all day so I don't think there was any progress. That's fine, he's been working on it about a year, I'm sure he was thrilled to see it take off and fly around.

So that was my fun weekend. I don't count Sunday as the weekend anymore because I don't get to do anything other than Walmart and the occasional laundry. I need to take off work and stick around and just do chores and try to catch up a little.

Okay we ate our pizza and watched Daniel O'Donnell on TV and now we're going home and going to bed. I might sleep in tomorrow. I went to Awful house and the airport today, I could sleep in tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.

Old April 29th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I can relate to most of those peculiar scenarios you described. They happen to me with more & more frequency. I am becoming quite apathetic towards people in general when I go anywhere. I get the feeling any more people really are incapable of logic & reason. They’re like a bunch of frick’n zombies. **** knockers & **** waffles they are.
Old April 29th, 2023, 07:49 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - You posted pictures of that event last year, also. Reminds me of basic training without a tech/drill sergeant screaming at you.

John - I too felt something amuck a couple days this past week - sort of like malaise. Came & went over a couple days. I attributed it to pollen and air quality but not really sure.