The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I got your txt message. The drawing you sent to me was "derived" from a CAD file, which is fine, but the drawing itself is not the CAD file it's a .PNG file....which is fine, but it doesn't demonstrate CAD detailed data. All good. I like the building though.

Old May 4th, 2023, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Yeah, so your quote does include all the overhead doors. That pricing is well within reason. They included the right stuff, as well. It's the little $hit which adds up e.g. screw color as per building color, etc., etc. Nice building.
Old May 4th, 2023, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - When you get around to it. Remember what I said regarding unloading the tractor trailer. That's your responsibility. Plan the lift rental accordingly. The size lift you'll need (tell the rental company you need forks and a platform) rents ~$450/day; but, a one week rental is generally ~$1,000. I mention this mostly so whoever is on-site to unload they can have their helper(s) on-site in the same time-frame to set the framing posts and overhead girders.
That pricing is via United Rentals and includes United Rentals dropping off the lift at your location and picking up the lift when finished. It's large enough to require a trailer.

EDIT: You probably already know this but doesn't hurt to state anyways. You'll set the four corner(s) vertical posts first, then the perimeter posts, then the overhead girders to tie into the corner verticals and the perimeters. "If" you have scaffolding, it makes the job so, so much easier and faster.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 4th, 2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:35 PM

Angry

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I've been removing old (rotted) siding from the side (obviously) of the house preparing for new siding. Having to negotiate some electrical in the process. I'll need to turn off the breakers for the A/C unit and wall outlets for several days. Currently negotiating how many more boards to remove which will provide me time to replace those rotted boards while the sun shines. NEVER a dull moment maintaining vintage/classic ANYTHING.
Holy crap. Where is the source for the moisture/water soaking the structure this heavy? Gutter ? Roof ? Drainage not far enough from sill? Let us know what you find.
Old May 4th, 2023, 07:58 PM

Norm Tanks for all of your help. My understanding is the price INCLUDES assembly
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:35 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Holy crap. Where is the source for the moisture/water soaking the structure this heavy? Gutter ? Roof ? Drainage not far enough from sill? Let us know what you find.
One area I replaced ~20 yrs ago was below the kitchen windows in an add-on section. Modern day clothes washing machines are truly a "marvel" compared to antiquated clothes washing machines. The original "wash house" was located behind the house - before an addition to the house was added to accompany an indoor out-house and a large country kitchen. I'm certain the 1st washing machines used by this family were "wash tubs" (in the wash house) w/ water supplied by a well (pump), which was upgraded to a wringer washing machine (in the wash house), then came the addition to the home, removal of the well water pump (they still had two septic tanks) & outhouse in the field, followed eventually by water lines to the city w/ city sewer lines. At this point the wringer washing machine (on rollers) would have migrated into the country kitchen. These "beasts" were notorious for getting stuck, splashing water everywhere, water hose(s) dropped, etc., etc. Add to the fact this area is known for termites, so termites got in. Comparatively speaking, days of past were tough - but it beat taking your laundry to the river beating them on rocks. Folks didn't often think about house maintenance - many were lucky to own a house. Windows and doors weren't sealed tight like they are in modern construction practices. I've found two other window "sills" which need to be rebuilt - I'm not rebuilding those two window sills - I think they have another 10-15 years of life in them. Times change - some folks maintain their homes, others not so much. The house originally had no gutters, the roof very likely had water intrusion from 50-60 hurricanes over 90 years. I had to rebuild the sill plate and restore the base & sub-flooring in the kitchen area from water & termite damage. NEVER a dull moment.

Old May 5th, 2023, 02:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm Tanks for all of your help. My understanding is the price INCLUDES assembly
Jim - That's a very respectable price and a nice building especially if that includes assembly.
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:56 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time @ 8:16am. Weather has been fantastic the past week, extremely windy for golf (I played anyways) 25mph - 30mph (gusting from 35mph - 40mph). The next frontal system (rain) was supposed to arrive tomorrow but a shift in the pattern(s) now demonstrates it's going to miss us and remain gorgeous the entire weekend which is great. I'll have time to make a run for more siding boards/materials & won't be racing to complete this job before rainy weather. Having the entire weekend is really fortunate.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:01 AM
Running On Empty

Wet Panties reached out again yesterday - said she's heading to Pinehurst for a golf camp next week, wants to buy the car when she returns.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:27 AM

Norm Tanks fer all the help. I have a small glitch [actually giant] The Super model doesn't want to alter her view
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah Friday. We'll be here till the end, and probably longer. Seems someone was unhappy with something the lead said and jumped a few levels to complain about it. So we got a good talking to about it, though no one seems to know what the issue was. Eh, I wasn't involved so I don't much care.

Norm tell her to buy the car now, so she can show off at golf camp. Sell her husband the motorcycle. How is the diesel tractor? Did I miss how the dash assembly came out?

Jamesbo just put windows on both sides, so Supermodel can see her view looking through the building.

So my friend is coming tonight. We might go to Florida over the weekend to buy a Corvan. It's for a project I'll probably never get to. But Corvans are cool so that's okay.

Well predictably, it's a slow start to the morning. I think I'll go find myself a snack. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 5th, 2023, 04:18 AM

Headed norte. Mike, I know where a corvan is in the woods outside Dawsonville if ya need a parts car
Old May 5th, 2023, 04:43 AM

I may be going with Red Cross to Marquette Mi. They think since they got 27" of snow recently that when it melts there will be flooding again. So I am sposta leave Saturday afternoon or Sunday, or I may not be needed at all, we'll see... Keeps life interesting.
Old May 5th, 2023, 04:53 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo you've been telling me about that van for years. I need to just go get it. You can come with.

Old May 5th, 2023, 05:06 AM

Mike, The brothers hose dad had all the cars own a shop right behind Ingles at 53 and 40 I'm going right by there n the way to the lake
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:20 AM
Always room for one more

Check to see if it's an 8 door.

Old May 5th, 2023, 05:31 AM

Wet Panties reached out again yesterday - said she's heading to Pinehurst for a golf camp next week, wants to buy the car when she returns.
Norm - That's great, hope the sale goes through!
Old May 5th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Check to see if it's an 8 door.
wtf is an 8 door? It's probably been 10 years since I saw it. All I can remember is that it had a door ( tailgate) on the side of the bed
Old May 5th, 2023, 10:50 AM

I abandoned my great grandmother's maytag. It still worked, but, even with an appliance dolly, was not coming out of the basement on its own with just me pushing it. I think it was worth about $75. Once a few things got lubed, it did run.

I did take the 120+ year old laundry sinks with me and installed them in my current house.
Old May 5th, 2023, 01:25 PM
Running On Empty

John - That's sorta cool, man.

Would someone please translate Jim's sentence for me... what is a "hose dad"? And, I didn't realize cars could own a shop - I'm outa touch on things.

The brothers hose dad had all the cars own a shop right behind Ingles
Old May 5th, 2023, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

I have a small glitch [actually giant] The Super model doesn't want to alter her view
Jim - Mike provided the best suggestion. Get plenty of windows so there's a see-through view. Your second option is highly untenable - she'll have the best view after she moves into the new building.
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo an 8-door is a van with doors on both sides of the vehicle, hence 8 doors. The front doors, the four side doors, and the back doors. If there is a ramp on the side, it is not a van, it's a Rampside. Really.

So did I call it or what. I told my wall guy that since the lead had his knickers in a bunch we'd be leaving late today, it always happens. We left at 2:40. Petty.

Actually I've met the Supermodel on several occasions and she's awesome so if she wants the metal building put up somewhere else I would put it up somewhere else.

Friend comes in tonight, and of course it's raining. We have a few things we can do on concrete tomorrow so the weekend won't be a total loss.

You guys know I look at a Plymouth website. Well, this morning on this site a Ninety Eight popped up for sale by a new person. Wouldn't you know it the same car came up on the Plymouth website, and the C Body website. So this guy must be flooding all the forums he can. Odd.

Okay off to the airport. This will be my first time up to the terminal since they put up the huge canopy that covers the whole drive. And it's raining so we will be loading up bags and whatnot out of the rain. Cool.

Old May 5th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

Jim -

...put windows on both sides, so Supermodel can see her view looking through the building.
Apparently, you have no options remaining...

...if she wants the metal building put up somewhere else I would put it up somewhere else.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Norm tell her to buy the car now, so she can show off at golf camp. Sell her husband the motorcycle. How is the diesel tractor? Did I miss how the dash assembly came out?
Mike - Those are good suggestions. I have not removed the dash & sent it out for a solder re-flow at this point in time. I was waiting until next Wednesday since I'm playing a golf tournament ~1hr North from here next Tuesday and I didn't feel like putting the top up on the CS for the day and I had planned to drive the diesel tractor. Now, of course, Wet Panties has sorta thrown a wrench into that idea. That's fine. I'll say this though - I m having withdrawal symptoms on the price ($27,500) I said I'd sell the car. Hey, WTF...here's what happens in my mind:
(1) Yes, I'll bet you a box of donuts that car could easily draw between $31,000 - $33,000; if,
(a) I resided in Los Angeles, Chicago, NYC, Miami, Dallas, etc. you get the point; and, if
(b) A buyer realized it was a one-of-a-kind (1971) Saddle interior with matching seat belts & polished/brushed buckles.
(2) I live in Podunk, not a big city where folks have deep pockets; and,
(3) It's great to "think" you have a great car and it's worthy of top dollar (if you're willing to wait perhaps until you're 6' under to get it and what good did waiting get you).

Reality is it's a very solid asking price if I have to spend zero effort on advertising, showing it to a million "tire kickers", no trip expenses to an auction house, and no "on-line" auction houses.
Old May 5th, 2023, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

BTW, I know her husband (Doug) has very likely been pricing these cars. The fact he still wants to buy it for her (he's buying it for her as a 60th birthday present) after driving/seeing it x3 weeks ago sorta speaks to the fact he probably knows it's a good deal after knowing the work I put into it. He's previously owned a couple classics, including a 1964 Jeep. During my conversation with him he appeared to know stuff about classics - he was sort of an aloof person so I really couldn't say exactly how much "mechanical" ability he had/has and whether he'll maintain the vehicle himself. None-the-less, if they are still going to buy it, I guess I feel better knowing someone appreciates the car for it's heritage rather than some old blue-hair bitty sporting Ben Franklin & Five & Dime arcade jewelry driving 35mph in the left-hand lane of a posted 55mph zone in Miami.
Old May 5th, 2023, 04:56 PM

Norm, sorry phat phingers. " whose,"

Mike, my mistake it's s pickup not a van ( or was )
Old May 5th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, sorry phat phingers. " whose,"
ROFLMAO - I couldn't for the life of me figure out WTH you were saying.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:04 PM

The brothers hose dad had all the cars own a shop right behind Ingles at 53 and 40
The brothers, whose dad had all the cars, own a shop right behind Ingles at (highways or rural routes) 53 & 40. Finally some nice weather, 70's for the next week. Greg, the 27" of snow was SSE of Houghton, in Herman, Mi.
Norm, exceptionally nice '70-'72 verts have asking prices in the $40k-60k range. Getting crazy.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:08 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, exceptionally nice '70-'72 verts have asking prices in the $40k-60k range. Getting crazy.
WTF, Dan you're killing me.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Jamesbo an 8-door is a van with doors on both sides of the vehicle, hence 8 doors. The front doors, the four side doors, and the back doors. If there is a ramp on the side, it is not a van, it's a Rampside. Really.
Someone who shops locally here in town owns one of those Rampside vehicles. Well, I think that's what it is. It has eight doors - two front, two each side & two in the back. It's a wheel chair accessible van & the ramp automagically extends & retracts.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:48 PM

I may have the Rona. I think I'll go get a test tomorrow.
Old May 5th, 2023, 07:03 PM

Norm - I think you're selling your car for a terrific price and they are getting a bargain. I agree with Dan on how crazy the prices of nice Cutlass verts have gotten. I also agree with what you said about the ease of the sale and just being able to get a decent amount for not alot of hassle.

Went to the really big cruise-in tonight at the large Church about 25-miles from me. Probably about 350-cars there, always a nice selection. If you would like to check it out you can find the pics here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...st-1-a-171749/

Either going to a judged show or another cruise-in tomorrow. Haven't decided yet which one to go to. Going to get up early and check the weather and make a decision. The judged show is about 60-miles away, the cruise-in is only 10-miles.
Hope ya'll have a great weekend!
Old May 6th, 2023, 02:51 AM
Running On Empty

Picked up an additional x10 1"x6"x16' No.1 dry-kiln treated boards at the lumber yard yesterday. Nearly time to wake up the neighbors.
Old May 6th, 2023, 03:31 AM

Geez Norm, I hate to see ya sell it.... Make sure you are sure. When I sold my 65 Coronet I thought and thought about it. Now I don't regret selling it but there are plenty others I do regret unloading!
Went to a fire last night to give a Client assistance card. Geez so far all these cases are young single moms. This gal- born in 1999 (24) had 4 kids- man.... Still not sure if I am going to Marquette yet or not.
Old May 6th, 2023, 04:37 AM

Picked up an additional x10 1"x6"x16' No.1 dry-kiln treated boards at the lumber yard yesterday. Nearly time to wake up the neighbors.
Norm - Good luck on the R&R of the siding, I know you're hitting it hard!
Old May 6th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Running On Empty

I think I have one more board to remove before area cleanup, bringing saws & compressor out for siding application.
Old May 6th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Running On Empty

Board removed, site cleaned up, trailer arranged/loaded with at least one year's worth of items destined for the county dump (now including siding material). I may make a run to the dump this coming week. I'm thankful for the excellent weather - nothing worse than fighting the weather on jobs like this. Tomorrow should be a repeat of today - fingers crossed. It's that time of year when diurnal offshore/onshore breezes begin to develop which will last throughout the entire summer; so, we may occasionally get a 15' or 30' rain shower from a sporadic billowing cloud overhead. These showers are generally confined to morning and late evening as temperature differentials switch from onshore>offshore & vice versa. I'm going to make some lunch before I head back out to setup the saws & such and bring the boarding to the work area.

My supervisor hasn't been around all morning which is nice. I couldn't get on my PC anyways because I had the electricity turned off while finishing the siding removal. I don't think he likes me to be posting when I should be working, but it's my lunch break so the hell w/ him.

Here are several pictures w/ captions.

Work area - now cleaned up.

Random siding removal, nails pulled ready for new siding material.

These nails are a minimum of 93 yrs of age. These are the type of solid lead nails used in the building industry during (at least prior to ~1935). They're still in excellent condition. No - I am not reusing them.

When you consider how does a home get water/moisture intrusion examine the electrical work brought out through the siding when they installed my heat pump ~15 years ago. After removing the two electrical supply boxes feeding the heat pump, note how the wires were brought out from under the house (crawlspace) through the wood siding. Those were gaping holes with no sealant behind the electrical boxes. Note also those gaping holes are located ~1' above the sill plate of the house. An HVAC company doesn't give a rat's *** about drilling into your home (wood siding or otherwise) for the electrical supply; nor will they pre-drill a hole to accommodate a threaded screw (not doing so leads to cracking). The silicone I sealed the holes with has been sitting for 48 hours and is nearly dry. I'll apply one additional coat of silicone prior to re-installing the electrical boxes.

The top board in this image has been removed. The board w/ the holes is actually a new board I installed ~20 years ago and is in good condition although it may not appear so from the image - it's dirty (like me).

Old May 6th, 2023, 09:30 AM

Nice work Norm-

Like you said...always something when you own and maintain, just goes with the territory.
Old May 6th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Nice work Norm-

Like you said...always something when you own and maintain, just goes with the territory.
Keith - Thanks. Yep, always something; and, to be certain this isn't the type of work many fancy. Sorta like our enjoyment of working on vintage cars. I enjoy this type work others don't, that's fine.
Old May 6th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Running On Empty

One of my 57 first cousins on my Mom's side of the family (Wisconsin) has finally decided to tie-the-knot for the very first time at the ripe old age of 45 to a guy she's been involved with for 20+ years. He's an optometrist who owns his own business (Oshkosh) my cousin is an accomplished middle school teacher (Oshkosh). Wedding date is May 27th. While I'd really like to attend, I'm doing to pass on the effort involved - I think I have plans that weekend.