The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2023, 04:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good start to the morning. And it's my Friday already so you can't beat that.

The workers did an outstanding job yesterday and are almost finished. Makes the whole place look different. When they are done I'll go in and do the painting.

QA is coming down to talk to us here pretty soon. No idea what bee is in their bonnet but I'm sure it will just be a time waster.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 11th, 2023, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Good start to the morning. And it's my Friday already so you can't beat that.
Mike - A 2-day workweek, ya can't beat that!. What's up, are you traveling this weekend? That's great the workers did a nice job on the new door, you can't always count on quality work these days, at least that's my experience. Have a great day and extra time off.
Old May 11th, 2023, 06:51 AM
Always room for one more

No I'm staying put. Mom is going to my sister's and Tiger and I will be home alone. I'm going to spend the weekend cleaning up in the kitchen and doing some yard work. I also need to get up on the roof and clean out the gutters and blow the pine needles off the garage roof. Mom has a fit when I want to do that, so I'll do it when she isn't there and there won't be a problem.

One thing I might do is take a long day trip to Florida to look at that Corvan. That was the contingency plan when my friend was here in case it rained, but we had pretty good weather so we stayed home.

As I suspected, the QC guy was a waste of time. He didn't even say anything. Apparently, when a wheel is built wrong or it fails the leak check, when it goes back to get broke down and built again there has to be an entry in the paperwork for the additional maintenance, and no one is doing it. So the lead stood up to tell us this and the QC guy was there to verify that we heard it. Dumb.

I'm thinking I need a snack.

Old May 11th, 2023, 03:46 PM

Hi guys,

Periods of rain today, nothing bad, but another wave on it's way that will be here around 7:30 that may be a little rougher.

Spent parts of the day helping my wife set up for the yard sale Saturday when she needed my help to carry some heavier things. Rearranged the garage some to give her some more space.

Sadly, I got a call from my youngest daughter just a short while ago saying they believe her Grandpa (Mom's side) had a severe stroke today at home in Poplar Bluff, MO and he is currently in route via airlift to one of the big hospitals here in St. Louis. He and I have remained friendly, even though I have been divorced from his daughter for 15-years. He was like a 2nd Father to me when my Dad died young, and I like to think I was like the son he never had. We hunted, fished, and golfed together alot during the 18-years I was married to his daughter. He also has been the best Grandpa to my girls that they could have ever had. I am just sick that he has suffered this stroke, and I pray he can recover.

Hope ya'll had a great day!
Old May 11th, 2023, 03:52 PM

Chris, Sorry to hear
Old May 11th, 2023, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Sorry to hear
Jim - Thanks! I just saw him probably less than a month ago at one of the Grandkids family b-day parties and he looked great. He's very active golfing and fishing, and has lots of energy for a man in his early 80's. Just goes to show you, ya just never know.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 11th, 2023 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 11th, 2023, 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear, Chris. Hoping the best.

Keith
Old May 11th, 2023, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Sorry to hear, Chris. Hoping the best.

Keith
Thanks Keith, much appreciated, we're all hoping for the same.
Old May 12th, 2023, 03:15 AM

Chris, sorry to hear about your former FIL. He sounds like a great guy. Oh man, I am so out of touch with today's technology. Out here on a deployment we are expected to use our phones for all sorts of things. I have only used my phone as a phone and text device. I have had to add some apps, etc. Now I am trying to reload my expense card and I am soon to run out of funds. .Ahh, I said after my last deployment "never again", now I am saying it again. Most all volunteers are older folks no one seems to be able to help. Well it is a experience, but very frustrating!
Old May 12th, 2023, 06:25 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Good for you guys maintaining a friendship despite circumstances. All the best.
Old May 12th, 2023, 06:30 AM
Running On Empty

Caulking, priming, nailing, caulking, priming, caulking…rounding the corner on the new siding.

What do they say about Polynesian nymphomaniacs? They’re always looking for Samoa.
Old May 12th, 2023, 06:50 AM

Greg and Norm - Thanks for the kind words and well wishes for my former FIL, they are much appreciated. I texted my youngest daughter late last night and asked if there was any news she could share and didn't hear back from her. Nothing on my phone when I woke up this morning. I don't have a good feeling.

Greg - Can you reach out to one of your children, or us guys on here to try and help talk you through some of the tech difficulties? I'm not great myself, but surely one of us should be able to help.

Norm - Glad you're getting close to having the siding done so you can get back to having more play time..

Hope you all have a great day!
Old May 12th, 2023, 07:53 AM

Sucks about your friend, Chris. It's amazing how fast old people can crash.

My old man is stuck in the hospital still. He presents a very different story than what my brother does. My brother is being the front runner on this and he and I consult. My dad is having walking issues and bowel control issues. He will probably need to go to in-patient rehab. He still thinks he is going home and can just practice walking on his own. Dude needs to have a fundamental change of mentality to realize he has work to do if he wants to live on his own a few more years.
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:03 AM

Headed norte after family comes to [hopefully buy]
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:24 AM
Running On Empty

John - Can’t recall exact location of your Dad’s place? East of Dade City Green Swamp area?
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
My old man is stuck in the hospital still. He presents a very different story than what my brother does. My brother is being the front runner on this and he and I consult. My dad is having walking issues and bowel control issues. He will probably need to go to in-patient rehab. He still thinks he is going home and can just practice walking on his own. Dude needs to have a fundamental change of mentality to realize he has work to do if he wants to live on his own a few more years.
John - Sorry to hear your Dad is not doing well! Hopefully he'll listen to you boys and work hard enough if he really wants to live at home alone a few more years. I don't envy you and your brother, it's hard getting parents to listen at that age when they're so set in their ways.
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:28 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Hopefully nice weather at the lake.
Old May 12th, 2023, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - Can’t recall exact location of your Dad’s place? East of Dade City Green Swamp area?
Winter Park.

Chris, he just needs to get reality. You're not going anywhere if you just spontaneously **** on the floor. Old people are either listened to or treated like toddlers, and he needs to decide which kind of old person he wants to be. If he doesn't present well and make decisions based on being healthy and in control and say things that make sense; they're going to recommend he goes to a home. He keeps trying to one up the doctors, and no one has said his 40 year dental career that ended a decade ago doesn't mean diddly, but they know it is that way.
Old May 12th, 2023, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

Aging is a tough process. Not for the faint of heart.
Old May 12th, 2023, 03:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Took Mom to the airport this morning and my sister flew up to meet us. They then flew to Orlando this afternoon and just heard that they had a nice trip and no problems in the airport. We were able to park right up front this morning, and Mom did well walking into the airport. The wheelchair people were right inside the door and took her all the way to the gate. Very easy.

The workers are done and gone, and they did a beautiful job. Came out just as I envisioned it. Now I have to get to work painting. I didn't think ahead, when Tiger is outside and the door is closed I can't see him. And I'm guessing Mom won't like the door being closed all the time, even with the window right next to it. I'll probably go get a screen door to install. We put one on her house in Florida and it really opened the space up, and was rather versatile. That will come later.

So Chris, no news since this morning? I pray he is comfortable. I pray the family has strength to deal with what comes next, be it recovering and care or otherwise.

Jamesbo I wouldn't have thought cemetery plots would be something you shopped. Hope the family found what they wanted.

John are you or your brother planning on having Dad with you at some point? When you go to get the Corvette later this summer, just bring him with and tow a trailer behind you with all his stuff.

Greg I'm right there with you. I'm sure I only use 10% of all my phone does. Has the flooding developed?

Norm that house will be good for another 90 years.

Okay had my supper and gonna watch TV. Big work starts tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone.

Old May 12th, 2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

So Chris, no news since this morning? I pray he is comfortable. I pray the family has strength to deal with what comes next, be it recovering and care or otherwise.
Mike - Glad your Mom got down to Florida without incident, and that the door/window combo turned out just like you envisioned!

No, I have not heard squat about the status of my ex-FIL. I had left a text message with my youngest daughter last night to provide me with a status when she could. When I didn't hear anything by mid-morning, I texted her again and asked her to please give me an update when she could. Still nothing from anyone as I'm typing this. Sure wish someone would let me know something. Like I said this morning on here, I don't have a good feeling about this!
Old May 12th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Hey guys - Finally got an update on the status of my ex-FIL. For some reason my daughter's texts were not getting out to me. He's in ICU, knows where he's at, knows what happened and knows everyone. He can speak with some slurring due to some droopage on the right side of his face and mouth. He initially had some trouble with movement in his right arm and leg but that has already come back. He has a clot in his cerebral cortex and if it doesn't dissolve on it's own with medicine they will have to go in and break it up. They are expecting him to be in ICU at least 2 or 3 more days depending on how he does. Overall he is doing much better than anyone expected. Too early for any long term prognosis, but we are all relieved he is doing as well as he is. Thanks to all of you who offered prayers and well wishes, I certainly appreciated them all! 😊
Old May 12th, 2023, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Cemetery plots are indeed something you shop. As my Mom aged I flew her around everywhere. The airlines always did an excellent job w/ wheelchair assistance.
Old May 12th, 2023, 06:49 PM

John,
There are neural stimulator devices that are specifically for fecal incontinence. Look into it, I have heard from users that it is a life changer. It may be possible to get into a clinical study which means free of charge device and consultations.
Old May 12th, 2023, 07:28 PM

Mike, I don't think I'm getting the Corvette this summer. My old man has a lot of money; he can pay for his care facility, and it will be in central FL with frequent visits from family. I would not be able to care for him in my home other than on a temporary basis. He has some friends in those facilities. I would much prefer to concentrate on giving him good experiences with my efforts than caring for him at home, when we can buy good care. That Corvette is a manual everything no AC car, it can sit for a year.

Good on the old man, Chris. He should recover nicely.

Norm, you are correct. Fortunately, both my folks already know where they are to be interred.

Ken, that's a good idea. I will see about if he needs an electric butt, haha. I have heard of people with them. This one guy has a muscle sewn around his rectum that is kept clinched under battery power. Turn Switch Off To Poop. Don't Run Out Of Batteries! I think both are in the manual.

Old May 13th, 2023, 03:08 AM

There is a family that grew up on a mountain not too far away that 4 of the boys built my house and boat house. I've been friends with them for 20 years and they often help me out . The family had 11 children and once a year The youngest sister has a get together with food and picking
Today's the day, if you aren't jealous you should be. Hope I can park without hiking 10 miles
Old May 13th, 2023, 04:42 AM

Good morning guys,

Jim - I'm jealous, sounds like a great time! I miss our family (when I was young) trips to Southeastern Tennessee.

Well, I've nixed my plan for going to a judged show this morning. After getting caught out in the rain (which I didn't mention) coming back from the cruise-in last Sunday, I had to put in many hours cleaning and detailing to get it show ready again. Although it didn't rain overnight and is dry right now, there's a high chance of rain starting around 1pm and I don't want to get caught in it again and have to do all that clean-up. This coming week is going to be hectic with several appointments, and I know I won't have much spare time to work on it if it gets trashed again. Eh, there's a whole lot of Summer left, and there's even a cruise-in at the BK up the street this evening if the rain forecast for this afternoon doesn't materialize.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old May 13th, 2023, 07:50 AM

I've made some West Indies crab salad ti take but I'm planning on filling my pockets with fried chicken
Old May 13th, 2023, 08:08 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You’re incorrigible.
Old May 13th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

Sitting a comfy lounge chair in the shade admiring my work during work breaks.
Old May 13th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Running On Empty

Thinking about my Dad he was entitled to an all expense paid (with Honors) burial @ Washington National Memorial Cemetery (served in three WWII campaign theaters USN). I was NOT about to rattle cages as Mom preferred he be interred locally for visitations. All good. Mom lays next to him.
Old May 13th, 2023, 10:01 AM

Thinking about my Dad he was entitled to an all expense paid (with Honors) burial @ Washington National Memorial Cemetery (served in three WWII campaign theaters USN). I was NOT about to rattle cages as Mom preferred he be interred locally for visitations. All good. Mom lays next to him.
Family comes before Country.
Old May 13th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Running On Empty

John - You are correct.
Old May 13th, 2023, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Family comes before Country.
x3, right on!
Old May 13th, 2023, 01:29 PM

Good evening guys,

I believe I made the right call in deciding not to go to the car show. A strong pop-up thunderstorm started at around 1:45pm and I highly doubt they were out of there because awards were not supposed to be until 3:00. Of course this also means no cruise-in this evening.

My wife however was able to get through her yard sale without getting rained on. Everyone started shutting down around 1:00. She did very well and got rid of a whole bunch of crap, netting about $160. Less than a full bed in the truck to haul off to Goodwill tomorrow.

Taking her out for dinner tonight for Mother's Day at that same Mexican restaurant we went to on our Anniversary. That place is great!

Hope ya'll had a great day and have a relaxing evening!
Old May 13th, 2023, 02:55 PM
Running On Empty

The Moose is loose...

Old May 13th, 2023, 05:02 PM

The Moose is loose...

Norm - That looks absolutely delicious! Did you make that? 😋 Yum!
Old May 13th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Brought home from my local restaurant.
Old May 13th, 2023, 07:31 PM

That thing is rich enough that it won't even have to stop to change colors and the mousse will truly be loose, then.
Old May 14th, 2023, 02:08 AM

I knew about 12 of the 200 people ( relatives) I've never seen so much food. Ham, fish, bbq, beef brisket and every kind of vegetable imaginable. Plus cakes pies Nicest people I've been around I shouldn't eat for a week. Yard apes everywhere but not one spat

Great time