The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2023, 10:57 AM

We had an Arizona Cold Front blow through. Temperatures dropped and supposed to only be in the upper 80s for the next several days. WooHoo! Summer’s on hold for a little bit longer.
Old May 6th, 2023, 11:21 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

My friend got in okay last night and we stayed up half the night talking. Then we got up and hit the Awful house and went home and got the Corvair body into the basement. Now we are at Mom's and trying to work on the blue van. We've tried several times to get the brakes to bleed and they won't do it. We've seen several videos on how to center the puck in the proportioning valve, so far nothing has worked. Maybe I'll pose the question here on the forum. Even though it's a Chevy someone usually has the answer.

Norm those are cool nails. You should mount them in a shadow box and display them. I'm guessing most people have never seen nails like that. I think that's a good price for the car. If you wanted to price it at 35K, you'd be waiting for "the right person" to come along. Right now you have a good buyer(I would go lower than your price now) and it's a done deal. No talking to 50 tire kickers or haggling about 50 bucks. Good price, good car, good deal. And you'll always know you were responsible for her panties.

John good luck with the test. Whatever is says I wouldn't believe it. Cuddle up with your favorite booze, that will cure you.

Okay back to it. Beautiful here.

Old May 6th, 2023, 11:31 AM

Norm, are you insulating there?

Went to the Clinic. Got another strep test. Negative. I don't like that test. Got a covid test, they said one inch up nose. I thought that meant one inch past nostril, but they just meant in the nostril. I have the Rona. I am converting the entire past week to sick time. I think I will work from home Mon-Tue. They say 5 days contagious, then 5 days mask, so I am on day 7 now. I have a cough, can't smell much of anything, and get tired and winded easily.
Old May 6th, 2023, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - That's a welcomed weather pattern I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Mike - Thanks for your comments. Your thinking on the car is identical to mine. Thanks.
John - Sorry you caught SARS-CoV-2. I've been more fortunate than most & I haven't had the displeasure. I'm going to get my 2nd BiValent booster this coming week which will take me to five total COVID-19 immunizations. They released a recommendation for those 65+ to get another BiValent booster which contains the newest Omicron subvariant XBB.1.16, known as "Arcturus. Something you'll most likely NEVER find out, unless you really want to know and you press them hard for it, ask them you'd like to know what Omicron subvariant you have.
Old May 6th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, are you insulating there?
Yeah, I some left-over batting in the attic I'm going to use.
Old May 6th, 2023, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Kenneth - That's a welcomed weather pattern I'm sure you'll enjoy.
Mike - Thanks for your comments. Your thinking on the car is identical to mine. Thanks.
John - Sorry you caught SARS-CoV-2. I've been more fortunate than most & I haven't had the displeasure. I'm going to get my 2nd BiValent booster this coming week which will take me to five total COVID-19 immunizations. They released a recommendation for those 65+ to get another BiValent booster which contains the newest Omicron subvariant XBB.1.16, known as "Arcturus. Something you'll most likely NEVER find out, unless you really want to know and you press them hard for it, ask them you'd like to know what Omicron subvariant you have.
This is an odd illness for me. It is a combination of respiratory cough that will not leave, but a long period of feeling bad. I was lethargic and had chills for a few days, enough I would just go take a few showers a day and exhaust the hot water tank. The cough is lesser, and the lethargy is lesser now. I do get out of breath after doing much of anything, and my stamina is nill. This thing is a long way from being deadly or harmful so far, but I am not old.

There is a lot to be said about a good buyer just arriving. I would discount 25% for that.

My father tells me he wants his Corvette headed up to me in the next couple years from FL. This is a 71 convertible 350 4 speed car, manual everything, red with black interior, no AC, FM mono radio. Other than no power steering, it was a very common color/powertrain/option setup. You have an engine and a brake system to worry about, and that's it.

I see the following ways to move it north:
1. Hire a hauler with an enclosed trailer.
2. Rent/buy trailer, rent/buy/use truck.
3. Drive.
Old May 6th, 2023, 04:34 PM

John - Sorry to hear you have the Rona and all that goes with it. Wife and I have been lucky to avoid it to date, but wouldn't be surprised if we do get it one of these days. Hopefully the vaccinations and boosters will keep us from getting really sick if we do get it.
Old May 6th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm those are cool nails. You should mount them in a shadow box and display them. I'm guessing most people have never seen nails like that.
Mike - Those nails are referred to as "cut nails" sometimes known as "square nails" (they were rectangular). True "square nails" were the type the Romans used. The name "cut nails" is based upon how they were made - produced by cutting iron bars into rods on all four sides. There's a long history of "nails" as you can imagine. I am taken back by the fact this entire house is assembled w/ square nails. It's odd because square nails were the industry standard for building construction (and ship building) up until ~1890 after which the first "wire nails" (the common type nails you see today) went into production & supposedly the construction market employed wire nails in about 90% of the construction industry. Supposedly (the previous owners of my home told me) the original builder of this house was a master boat builder. He built this house in 1930. I don't believe the builder ever resided in this house as the first Deed Of Record I could find at the Registrar's office demonstrates the house was deeded to an M.D. (Dr. Whitehead) in 1931 - who owned a fairly significant amount of land in the area. Like in many areas of the country, especially rural areas, much of the wood I've witnessed in this home was hand-cut on site or at nearby saw mills. IOW, not your common box store lumber but truly hand-cut timber. I suspect they were manufacturing and selling the siding employed on this house at local lumber yards. I have several family members who own Sears Roebuck & Co. homes in Wisconsin. There was a time when you could purchase an entire home from both Sears & Montgomery Wards from the catalogs. Order one up, a bunch of trucks dropped off all the stuff on-site & you built your home. Many farmers built their homes this way. You could also purchase large pole barns in the same manner. Much of the old construction shifted from hand-cut on-site timber to hand-cut timber sent to a local lumber yard for "finishing" (e.g. cutting, sizing, planing etc.). I wonder if this master boat builder happened to have access to tons of these square nails where others did not. A mystery. I know the duplex I owned & renovated in Milwaukee (built in 1901) did not use square nails - it was built w/ wire nails.

The first known nails are believed to have originated in Mesopotamia as early as 3500 BCE.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 6th, 2023 at 06:34 PM.
Old May 6th, 2023, 06:37 PM

Nonsense, the first nail was in the Garden of Eden @43,000 BC.
Old May 6th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

Nonsense, the first nail was in the Garden of Eden @43,000 BC.
Old May 7th, 2023, 07:05 AM
Running On Empty

John - Regarding the Corvette. If it were me - I’d decide first if I had the time to drive it myself as that would be my preference for several good reasons. If I were to do it myself I’d very likely rent a tow dolly, disconnect driveshaft & enjoy the trip.
Old May 7th, 2023, 08:33 AM

My father tells me he wants his Corvette headed up to me in the next couple years from FL. This is a 71 convertible 350 4 speed car, manual everything, red with black interior, no AC, FM mono radio. Other than no power steering, it was a very common color/powertrain/option setup. You have an engine and a brake system to worry about, and that's it.

I see the following ways to move it north:
1. Hire a hauler with an enclosed trailer.
2. Rent/buy trailer, rent/buy/use truck.
3. Drive.
John - So many variables to consider when making that decision?
1. Value of of the car
2. Roadworthiness of the car
3. Distance, time of year, weather (snow/salt)
4. Comparative costs

When I brought mine down to StL from Detroit all of the above played into my decision to have it trailered in a covered trailer. The major factors being weather, and at that time I really had no overall confidence in the long time roadworthiness of the car. I'm glad I made the decision I did because there was a bunch of snow up there the day it headed south.

Old May 7th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Running On Empty

Triple time wages today ($0.00 x 3 = $0.00). No supervisor thus far so I'm sneaking in a little break in the action. Weather is gorgeous.

John - These COVID masks are readily available in case you can't find the FTC approved N95 masks.

Old May 7th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Running On Empty

They sent a different supervisor to the job site today. She looks a little rough around the edges; but, hey I guess they know what they're doing - not sure she'll need the axe to assist. I'd better get back to work.

Old May 7th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day out. But I'm sweating because I'm doing work. I told my friend I wasn't supposed to do work, I'm a desk jockey. That's okay, we stop and talk more than we work anyway.

Got several things done this morning after Awful house, and now we are working on the blue van some more. We installed a new battery and put 5 gallons of fresh gas in the tank. It kicks on starting fluid but isn't getting any gas to the throttle body. We've got a couple tricks up our sleeves for after break.

John If the car is up to it I'd drive it home. And if it's not, take the back roads. Bring Dad with you. Hope you're getting over the croup.

Okay back out to the van. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old May 7th, 2023, 01:09 PM

John, the Vette has no a/c. Old vettes are hot *******. I would not want to drive one that far w/o a/c, coming from the south in particular where it's a bit warm. I had a '74 & '76 vette, ya baked in the damn things in the summer. Maybe in the spring or fall when it is still on the cool side.
Old May 7th, 2023, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I had a '74 & '76 vette, ya baked in the damn things in the summer.
A good friend of mine had a '75. I learned to wear shoes while riding in that car to the beach as it would bake my bare feet.
Old May 7th, 2023, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
A good friend of mine had a '75. I learned to wear shoes while riding in that car to the beach as it would bake my bare feet.
I've ridden in my buddie's '66 427ci tri-power a couple times, it will roast ya!
Old May 7th, 2023, 02:12 PM

This is just a 350.
Old May 7th, 2023, 02:16 PM

Hi guys,

Summer is here. As I'm typing it is 91°, with a 63% humidity, very sticky out! Our subdivision yard sale is this coming Saturday. Hopefully I'll be at a car show if the weather cooperates. I hate the damn thing. For the 1st time my wife is actually going to put some things out trying to downsize. I have been going through much of my old clothes and junk doing the same. Whatever doesn't sell is going straight to Goodwill or in the trash.

Went to another car cruise-in yesterday. You can see pics in "The Clubhouse" if you want to check it out.

Hope ya'll are having a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 7th, 2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old May 8th, 2023, 07:47 AM
Jeff

Norm, speaking from recent experience of having a car for sale for 3+ years... the buyer falling into your lap is a godsend. Although, IMO, there's no way you'd have that car for sale for very long, anyway.
Old May 8th, 2023, 08:11 AM
Running On Empty

Hi Jeff - I recall when you listed the Starfire & the enjoyment in January when it (finally) sold. I was surprised it took so long it was a great car. If Wet Panties buys the car (I don't consider anything sold until I see the greenbacks), you're correct: no listing, no phone calls, no tire kickers, no squabbling (I indicated to both her & her husband my price was non-negotiable) is a godsend.
Old May 8th, 2023, 08:20 AM
Running On Empty

Finished installing siding yesterday & just finished mounting the two electric boxes for the heat pump (one box handles heat strips the other handles A/C), reconnected to main service panel & all is good.
Tee-time 12:45pm - a well earned form of relaxation (renting a golf cart today). I intend to kick that little white ball's ***.
Old May 8th, 2023, 08:36 AM

Finished installing siding yesterday & just finished mounting the two electric boxes for the heat pump (one box handles heat strips the other handles A/C), reconnected to main service panel & all is good.
Tee-time 12:45pm - a well earned form of relaxation (renting a golf cart today). I intend to kick that little white ball's ***.
Norm - Nice job on the home repairs! Get out there and smack the $hit out of whitey! Dealing with waves of storms here. Had one bad wave roll through around 4am that woke me up,, and another is supposed to roll through around 3 or 4pm with possible hail, heavy winds, and potential tornadic activity, UGH, Monty will not like it.
Old May 8th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Hey guys,

They've now pushed the arrival of the storms back a few hours so we're headed out to our favorite Mexican restaurant for an early dinner. Today's our 13th wedding anniversary, 13-yrs of wedded bliss! Seriously, she's the best thing that ever happened to me, I'm one lucky dude.

Hope ya'll had a great day and have a nice evening

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 8th, 2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 8th, 2023, 03:16 PM

My "Better Half"

Beauty and the Beast

Ginormous Steak and Shrimp Nachos with a ton of Queso, Yum! Of course I had to have a couple Modello Negros to wash it all down.
Old May 8th, 2023, 04:13 PM

John, both of my vettes were 350's as well. A while back my buddy and I were talking about cars, which we do every time we call or get together, and he mentioned how damn hot it was riding in my '74. Got together with the aforementioned buddy, his older brother and my former neighbor Augie, whom I have known since I was a kid. They have know each other longer. he is about 87 or 88 years young, and had asked me about getting together some time as he hasn't seen them in quite awhile. I stop and see him from time to time as he lives fairly close to me. Anyway, we got together on Saturday for breakfast, and chewed the fat for two hours. Both my buddies family and Augie are Italian, but what my buddy and his brother did not know was that their great grandfather and Augie's grandfather were neighbors back in Italy before any of them migrated to the U.S. Small world! Chris, congrats on the anniversary, I think that you got the better end of the deal! (just kidding). A half day of work tomorrow, as I will be getting a abdominal and pelvic C.T. to try and figure out what is going on with my innards. My guess, is that my gizzard is askew or something
Old May 8th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Chris, congrats on the anniversary, I think that you got the better end of the deal! (just kidding). A half day of work tomorrow, as I will be getting a abdominal and pelvic C.T. to try and figure out what is going on with my innards. My guess, is that my gizzard is askew or something
Dan - Thanks, you'll get no argument from me that I pulled the long straw when we got together! Good luck with the scan, and I hope they can diagnose what is causing you distress and get you fixed up ASAP!
Old May 8th, 2023, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

A half day of work tomorrow, as I will be getting a abdominal and pelvic C.T. to try and figure out what is going on with my innards. My guess, is that my gizzard is askew or something
Dan - Maybe a fur ball?
Hope it turns out to be minor.

Old May 8th, 2023, 09:16 PM

John, both of my vettes were 350's as well. A while back my buddy and I were talking about cars, which we do every time we call or get together, and he mentioned how damn hot it was riding in my '74. Got together with the aforementioned buddy, his older brother and my former neighbor Augie, whom I have known since I was a kid. They have know each other longer. he is about 87 or 88 years young, and had asked me about getting together some time as he hasn't seen them in quite awhile. I stop and see him from time to time as he lives fairly close to me. Anyway, we got together on Saturday for breakfast, and chewed the fat for two hours. Both my buddies family and Augie are Italian, but what my buddy and his brother did not know was that their great grandfather and Augie's grandfather were neighbors back in Italy before any of them migrated to the U.S. Small world! Chris, congrats on the anniversary, I think that you got the better end of the deal! (just kidding). A half day of work tomorrow, as I will be getting a abdominal and pelvic C.T. to try and figure out what is going on with my innards. My guess, is that my gizzard is askew or something
I have noticed I have worse GI trouble as I get older. I have found it is possible to be both stopped up, and have the runs behind it. All that does is result in pain until you sit there and pass the blockage, then the rest. I blame it on either being old, or having an appendectomy 20 years ago. You may just be plugged up. One of the more disgusting things about my job is walking into a line bathroom on break. Many of the men on the line need much better nutrition. Sometimes people grab the bottom of the bowl in their efforts! The stench is amazingly bad in ways you would not expect.

I am recovering from The Rona. I "worked" a half day from home today, and will do the same tomorrow, then go in on Wed. I play computer games, one map I have yet to figure out is very complicated, but I made it further today than I did previously before I got intellectually weary, so brain power is coming back online. Edited the easier half of the H/OCA newsletter today. Hopefully I will be less tired soon.

There were a lot less people 100 years ago, and a lot less people of those that were alive, made it to have kids. Makes me kind of want to go live in the boones.
Old May 9th, 2023, 04:12 AM

Up here in the beautiful U P . It really is nice weather wise- sunny and about 55-60. Rivers sposta crest tomarrow. I am doing damage assessment, which is all new for me. I may have grey hair and look experienced, but I am a baby in my knowledge of this stuff.....
Old May 9th, 2023, 06:27 AM

I am recovering from The Rona. I "worked" a half day from home today, and will do the same tomorrow, then go in on Wed. I play computer games, one map I have yet to figure out is very complicated, but I made it further today than I did previously before I got intellectually weary, so brain power is coming back online. Edited the easier half of the H/OCA newsletter today. Hopefully I will be less tired soon.
John - I hope you continue to feel better and stronger each day.
Old May 9th, 2023, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Up here in the beautiful U P . It really is nice weather wise- sunny and about 55-60. Rivers sposta crest tomarrow. I am doing damage assessment, which is all new for me. I may have grey hair and look experienced, but I am a baby in my knowledge of this stuff.....
Greg - Good on you for volunteering to help! Be safe up there, flooding conditions can change rapidly and unexpectedly.
Old May 10th, 2023, 05:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a good visit with my friend and he got home okay yesterday. Now I'm back to work and it seems like I never left. But I know how much we got done this weekend.

Now that I'm back and see my crew, I'm almost sorry I missed work Monday and Tuesday. Both my wall guy and robot guy are top notch and also awesome guys. Figures I get a good crew and I only see them two days.

Two guys who are contractors are starting work at Mom's today replacing the back door. Currently it is a sliding glass door and glass panel, and they are taking that out and installing a regular door and a window next to it. They will rebuild the wall as the previous gutter system leaked and rotted it all out. This will be an excellent upgrade, I've wanted to do this for awhile.

Okay break time. Have a good day everyone.

Old May 10th, 2023, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Had a good visit with my friend and he got home okay yesterday. Now I'm back to work and it seems like I never left. But I know how much we got done this weekend.
Mike - Always sucks going back after a few days off. Did you guys ever get the blue van running correctly? Hope the contractor crew does a good job replacing the slider with the regular door/panel.
Old May 10th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

No the blue van still thwarts us. We finished the brakes, which was victory in and of itself. It ran fine last time I drove it so we assumed with the new battery it would crank right up. Nope. After much troubleshooting, we determined the fuel pump to be bad. Got it all apart, but broke the fuel gauge wire off its solder and then we ran out of time. Not sure how I'm going to attach that back, but that's the last problem(so far) before putting it all back together and starting it up. So close.

Just got a call from Mom. The workers were there yesterday and said they'd be back today at 9am to start work. She sort of rolled her eyes. She's been going round and round with Terminix and if they come out at all they are hours late. I asked if the workers were there at 9 and she said, on the button. That made her day.

Old May 10th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Received my sixth COVID-19 vaccination today @ 3:00PM
Old May 10th, 2023, 03:59 PM

Received my sixth COVID-19 vaccination today @ 3:00PM
Good for you Norm, we're due for the latest one too!
Old May 10th, 2023, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good for you Norm, we're due for the latest one too!
I'm gonna pureblood it and sell my seed online here in a few years.
Old May 11th, 2023, 03:43 AM

I'm gonna pureblood it and sell my seed online here in a few years.
I can see the line forming in Manchester N.H. already!