The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2023, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - I'm thinking of buying a cheap gas grill too for the times when I don't have the time or want to mess with the charcoal Weber. Stuff tastes better on a charcoal grill in my opinion, but even on a gas grill stuff tastes so much better than under a broiler, and you keep the heat out of the house when it's hot outside.
The only way I do steaks, Weber is for Chicken, Burgers, Brats

Old May 31st, 2023, 03:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

We had a great day yesterday. I don't believe we'll accomplish that again today. Yesterday the lead was back from vacation and everyone was on their best behavior. Today the lead is not here and we have yet to get started, well after 6. Three people have claimed to be the guest lead and no one is listening to any of them. I don't care. I'm leaving early to take Mom to the doctor.

Tried getting the Chevy registered yesterday. Tag office lady said I didn't have insurance. I called Hagerty on Sunday and the guy said he'd put it right through. Oh, well, they aren't open Sunday. The State was closed Monday. They are behind today(Tuesday). I should call before I come back Wednesday. Don't know when I'll have a chance to get back there, probably Friday. Tomorrow I need to hook up the trailer and take the SRX back to Carmax. It's my feeling they make the service experience tedious for warranty work so you get tired of it and don't bring your car in, thus they save money. Although I don't see how the regular service would be any different, so who knows. It is tedious.

My wall guy just told me he has to go to the nurse for a hearing test. He'll be gone an hour or better. Guess I'll start in on the internet early.

Have a good day everyone.

Old May 31st, 2023, 04:46 AM

Mike - Best of luck getting the Chevy registered! Just my opinion, but if it were me, I'd take Carmax up on their offer for a Lyft ride home before going to the trouble of messing with the trailer? Good luck getting whatever needs done.
Old May 31st, 2023, 05:11 AM
Always room for one more

Ya I know Chris, I just don't feel comfortable with taking Lyft, or any of the other ones. Too many people get robbed. I just heard of an Uber rider getting shot a couple days ago. Hopefully this will be it for taking it in.

My wall guy took a powder. My new guy is the same one from a couple weeks ago, who was bad but then became incredibly good. He's now bad again. I'll be lucky to have 10 wheels by the time I go home.

One thing I found out while looking at the internet, my Chevy was built in Atlanta on April 23, 1957. Hm.

Old May 31st, 2023, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
One thing I found out while looking at the internet, my Chevy was built in Atlanta on April 23, 1957. Hm.
Mike - Pretty neat your Chevy was built right there in Atlanta! I didn't know there was a Chevy assembly plant there.

We had 2 large Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth plants here in St. Louis for many years, here's a little info:
"Chrysler once operated two plants out of Fenton, Missouri, called the St. Louis plants. St. Louis South, opened in 1959, made cars and minivans; the St. Louis North, opened in 1966, made trucks; and both closed within a similar span of time. with the St. Louis South plant shutting down on October 31, 2008, and the North plant closing on July 10, 2009."

They made Valiants there for many years in the 60's. My wife's best friend here in our subdivision worked in the car plant for 35-years.

Old May 31st, 2023, 05:49 AM

Chris Mike, I think there were 2 Lakewood and Doraville Years ago I had a farm hand that would catch a ride from Canton with some guys driving down from Dallas Ga to work the night shift at Lakewood. He gave up his job of cleaning out chickens houses with a shovel to make the big bucks

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 31st, 2023 at 05:51 AM.
Old May 31st, 2023, 05:56 AM
Always room for one more

And don't forget The Chevy Truck Assembly, which also built Caprice and Impala, and famously, the Corvette. Interestingly, to me anyway, my green DUKW was built by Chevrolet in that factory. The DUKW was considered a GMC.

Jamesbo I don't think either of those plants are with us anymore. The info I saw about my car doesn't say which plant it was built in. My wall guy is on extended break so maybe I can find that out.

The only Valiants I've ever seen were built in Hamtramck. I know some were built in California, now I learned something.

Old May 31st, 2023, 06:13 AM
Always room for one more

That was easy. My car was built at Lakewood. Doraville was Buick and Pontiac in 1957.

Ug I'm so bored. I should just leave now.

Old May 31st, 2023, 06:14 AM

I think the Big 3 get a bad rap for closing plants over the imports. While houses get old and appreciate in value, industrial buildings do not. As plants age, you have steel fatigue, wildly evolving design requirements, changes to safety, hvac degradation, energy inefficiency, etc, and it really makes business sense to close old physical buildings as they age out of scope and worthiness. On the other hand, if you can keep them relevant, it makes sense to keep them open. So, closing a 15 year old plant is different from a 50.
Old May 31st, 2023, 06:24 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Koda
I think the Big 3 get a bad rap for closing plants over the imports. While houses get old and appreciate in value, industrial buildings do not. As plants age, you have steel fatigue, wildly evolving design requirements, changes to safety, hvac degradation, energy inefficiency, etc, and it really makes business sense to close old physical buildings as they age out of scope and worthiness. On the other hand, if you can keep them relevant, it makes sense to keep them open. So, closing a 15 year old plant is different from a 50.
No kidding. GM and all the plants they closed in Flint, Saginaw, Pontiac, and Detroit. Those facilities were ANCIENT. Buick City, Chevy in the Hole, all the AC plants, not to mention the suppliers just in Flint. ALL of those locations dated back to the beginnings of the automobile. Hell, GM is just now finding buyers for some of the remaining Buick City sites. There are a couple of new plants there now, but nowhere near the scale.
Old May 31st, 2023, 07:18 AM
Always room for one more

Dodge Main in Michigan built cars for 70 years. It's like the manufacturers never even considered replacing these factories. The Tonowanda engine factory in Buffalo has been there 80 years, they just keep reinventing it.

Old May 31st, 2023, 08:27 AM

Good morning guys,

No big plans for today. Partly sunny and supposed to get into the high 80's. It's supposed to continue to warm up into the mid-90`s by the weekend.

Despite the approaching high temps, I'm planning on making it to 2 car events on Saturday. First I'm going to a judged show for charity at a church only about 10 -miles from me. I've went to this show the past 2-years and it's a nice setting and nice people. That show should be over around 3:30, and then I'm going to head to the Festus Mayor's Summer Car Display and Cruise Main St. Event. I'll put the car in the display area until they start the cruising Main St. portion, then I'll make a couple passes up/down Main St. and head home. There is a huge local turnout for this event with several hundred spectators lining Main St. on the sidewalks in their lawn chairs watching the cars. Pretty fun!

I've had the car out to 8 events already this season, 5 cruise-ins and 3 judged shows. Pretty much on pace with last season. I've put 350-miles so far on the car, which reminds me I need to get out to the garage and do a quick oil check. The car usually goes through about 1/2-qt every 500-miles, and since I've owned it, it hasn't shown any increased consumption over time. There is a minor issue I'm going to try and address in the near term. Since I've owned the car I've heard what I believe to be a very small amount of pinging/detonation when the car is under high load in hot temperatures. When the motor was gone through during the resto it was rebuilt with the original flat top pistons and new rings at the original 10.5 compression. Running 93 Octane consistently, I wouldn't think I'd hear pinging with that compression, but like I said, I think I'm hearing a very minor amount under heavy load. I've ordered some Lucas Oil octane booster and hopefully it will eliminate the pinging.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old May 31st, 2023, 12:44 PM

Stupidity question de jour. Does anyone have one of these dewalt bit 📦 and could tell me how to get the little one out of the big one so I can open it up
Old May 31st, 2023, 01:10 PM

Never mind after 3 hours I finally figured it out
Old May 31st, 2023, 04:49 PM

Chris, did you figure out the noise/rattle in your 442?
Old May 31st, 2023, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, did you figure out the noise/rattle in your 442?
Greg - Yes, I believe I did. It was one, or possibly both, of the emergency brake cables flopping against the floor pans. I first adjusted the cables so they were more taught, making sure the rear shoes were not dragging against the rear drums. Then I wrapped the sections of the cables that were in closest proximity to the floor pans with the type of nylon web sheathing that you would enclose audio/video cables in, hoping if there was any contact it would deaden the metal to metal noise. Seems to have worked because I haven't heard the noise since I did those adjustments.
Old June 1st, 2023, 02:55 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful morning out. Very few people came in for overtime, and it doesn't look like the lead will be here again, so I expect a slow and unproductive day. When I left at noon yesterday I had 9 wheels signed. Pitiful.

Chris glad you found your noise. As for the pinging, retard the timing ever so slightly. Unless you're a stoplight warrior, you won't notice any difference.

Jamesbo how did that thing come out? Did you have to resort to tools of mass destruction?

Took Mom to the doctor yesterday. I wish she'd insist on later appointments. She tells them up front she can't get there before 4 and they say, oh our latest appointment is at 3. So Mom says oh okay then. If I happen to be standing there I tell them that's not good enough and then hammer them until I get my way. Then they act like the world is going to end. The sign on the door says the office is open to 5, what's the problem. I know what it is, they are making sure they get out early.

This afternoon I need to take the car to the mechanic. I'm debating whether or not to push the tire pressure message. When I was there last time, they said they put air in the tires and it went away. Well the next day it was back on, so it must be the valve stem sensors. I'm not sure I want them dismounting all the tires and rebuilding/putting new ones in. If I saw where they marked the tire so they wouldn't have to balance them(which doesn't work btw) I think my head would explode. The light isn't on now, they probably wouldn't do anything about it.

Time to start. I don't see 90% of the people, and that includes the lead. Should be an interesting day.

Old June 1st, 2023, 03:11 AM

Mike, I had the idea that the smaller box had to come out open Nope it stays in
Old June 1st, 2023, 02:16 PM

Jeesh, ya have to call to make an appointment to get an estimate for bodywork now a days. Can't just pull in to a body shop to get one. My appt. for an estimate is next Wednesday. I prefer a grill for steaks, n brats, n ribs etc. I should buy a cheap one, just not a Charbroil, as the one I bought was junk and a safety hazard. Of course, I should stop being so cheap, and buy a Weber gas grill.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 04:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Was real nice when I left the house this morning. Supposed to be nice all weekend. I'll take advantage of that by doing a couple things outside this weekend.

Good start to work this morning, though a little artificial. No mechanics came in for overtime this morning so I was handed 11 wheels when I got here. Got them taken care of so that's a head start.

Dan I couldn't tell you the last time I went in for a body shop estimate. I didn't make an appointment, just went in. Have body shop estimators become elitists? Do they not care that if you have an appointment a week later that you might find a place beforehand, thus losing your business? Eh, I don't get this whole appointment thing these days.

Hope everyone has a good day. It's finally Friday. Though I'm working OT tomorrow morning.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 05:07 AM

headed norte. Have a GREAT weekend Olds friends
Old June 2nd, 2023, 08:39 AM

My worthless group manager (3 levels up) got promoted to general manager (4 levels up) and is now in charge of the unit plant (stamping, weld, plastics) at my local plant. (I am a national employee, and, he still is, as all executives are, but he is doing this 'assignment' for the plant). The semi-worthless senior manager of my office for whom I used to work (I now work for a specialized electronics group out of headquarters, but I am "the site guy" here, so I still sit in the same desk) is promoted to backfill the first guy.

I hope that one of the managers, who is actually a halfway decent guy, will get promoted to backfill him.

I might put in for the manager spot and try to jump two levels, but it would be a waste of time.
Old June 2nd, 2023, 09:30 AM

Hi guys,

Dan - I hope the estimate and insurance process goes smoothly for you!

Mike - I hope you get out early today and tomorrow so you can enjoy the nice weather.

Jim - Safe travels and enjoy your time at the lake.

John - I think it's pretty universal how much politicking (translate, **** kissing) goes on when it comes to filling just about any management position, and I'm saying that as a former manager. The higher the position, the more **** kissing that needs to be done. About the last 5-years of my career some of my bosses tried to get me to put in for multiple more Senior management positions saying I was a shoe in if I put in. However, if I did get the position it would include a transfer to Headquarters in Washington DC. No thanks!!! If you've ever spent much time in DC, you know what I mean, I hated having to visit Headquarters. After declining on several of these so called "Opportunities", they made my life a living hell for about the last 3-years I was there.

Judged Car Show in the morning and afternoon tomorrow, then it's down to the Festus Mayor's Summer Car Display and Cruise Main St. event. It will be hot, with a projected high of 93°, but essentially no chance of rain. I don't mind low 90's as long as there's some shade and there is some at each location. Should be a great car day and I should get a $hit-ton of good pics.

Hope ya'll have a great day and relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 2nd, 2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 01:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I don't know if I've opined in the past, but getting up at 2 vs getting up at 4 feels exactly the same. It feels the same until I get to the expressway. Before that I'm still stopping at all the red lights. The people who set up the stoplights should be shot. No reason to stop at every frickin' red light at 3 in the morning.

Actually got out a few minutes early yesterday. We finished up before 2 and got out like it's supposed to work. Beautiful afternoon to enjoy.

Went to Mom's after work to sand some compound I put up in the kitchen. Boy did I make a mess. I didn't think the dust would travel as far as it did, nor be as thick. Mom was pretty mad, since she was trying to fix dinner. Everything came out okay, but even after cleaning there was a thin layer forming again. I'm gonna hear about this for awhile. Subtle comments which aren't so subtle. Well, it was going to be the same mess no matter when I did it. Now at least I can paint.

So it's well after 4 and only a handful of people are here. None of the robot or wall guys are here. This may turn into quite a long morning. But the light at the end of the tunnel is Awful house. Keep your eye on the prize, yes?

Have a good morning everyone.

Old June 3rd, 2023, 03:09 AM

Mike, your story brought up a memory... We basically gutted our old house after we added on to it. There was a old brick chimney that had been used for a oil stove. When new roof went on it was knocked off below roof line and roofed over. At the time my wife worked at a grocery store as a cashier and worked Saturdays. Well this one Saturday I was working on house and started to knock apart what was left of that chimney. As I got lower it came apart quickly. Then I discovered it was full of old oil soot and of course it sort of exploded all over. We were cleaning soot out of the house for weeks. I mean it went all over, bedrooms, kitchen, yep all over... She was pissed!! What a mess!
Old June 3rd, 2023, 05:21 AM
Running On Empty

I have two chimneys in this house - built 1930. The main (home) fireplace attached to one chimney along with three additional wood burning stoves. One of those wood burning stoves was the kitchen stove, the remaining two were bedroom wood burning stoves. The other chimney had three wood burning stoves attached to the chimney - one wood burning stove per bedroom. Each chimney was falling apart above the roof line. I rebuilt each chimney above the roof line then mothballed each chimney below the roof line in the interior of the house. No way in hell I was going to disassemble two chimneys.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 01:34 PM

Norm, I had my 3 1890s chimneys redone. Basically, the stuck what looked like a long balloon down them inflated it and the pumped some concrete [plus ither stuff] down the insides. Let it harden and then collapsed the balloon 25 years and works great [
Old June 3rd, 2023, 02:47 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Good on you - that's exactly how to do it if you're going to save a chimney; and, it takes some skill and effort to get that job done "correctly". What I mean by "correctly" is to safeguard flames/embers/heat from escaping leading to a fire &/or asphyxiation & prevent the chimney from collapsing in on itself. I know the costs & labor involved. Since, I had no intention of using the chimneys, there was no reason for me to spend the $$, time &/or effort.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

BTW, I've been spending a little more time at the range and improving on my weaknesses in my golf swing. Last three rounds: 37/39, 38/39, 39/40.
My lawn has worms - not really worms at all, but grub worms (which are larvae and haven't the smallest relationship to a worm). I have several different species so I laid down some Scott's GrubEx today, I'm watering it in this evening. Three trips to the dump yesterday/today & a Spectracide Weed killer I sprayed early this past week.
Old June 3rd, 2023, 03:26 PM

Norm I get it. The guy who did mine did all that of fort Macpherson. Not inexpensive but worth it
Old June 3rd, 2023, 03:36 PM

Old June 3rd, 2023, 03:56 PM
Always room for one more

This would have been a good day to stay in bed. The guys at work showed up around 5 and started work, maybe around 7. They did precious little all day. We left around 1130.

Went to Awful house. The place was packed, mainly because half the tables were not cleared and people were waiting to sit down. I wasn't about to wait around for all that, so I went home and had Wedding soup.

Went to get the SRX. Not having a ride, I hooked up the trailer and headed over. They said I owed $70. Nope, it's all warranty work. Sorry, we can't release the car until you pay this. Okay, what is the $70 for? We don't know. You'll have to ask Service and they aren't here. So I left without my car and I was ready to blow my stack.

Wanted to change oil in the pickup. Couldn't find a damn socket wrench. I have about 50. But do you think I could find one? No idea. I was rummaging through a tool box that was in my office, and fell while standing up. Fell into a stack of boxes that fell over and almost took Tiger out. I said that's it. I'm done for the day. Actually I'm done for the weekend. I don't ever get anything done on Sunday because of the Walmart disaster.

Does anyone else ever think they are just treading water? I don't know what I'd do if I actually got something accomplished. Once upon a time I said I wanted a change. But instead I just added another layer to the current normal. Sometimes I'm not very bright.

Okay not sure if this was a rant or a pity party. I'm just sick of stupid ****. Oh Jamesbo I got that book. Thanks. That's one good thing for today.

Old June 3rd, 2023, 07:01 PM

Hey guys,

Mike - Hope you didn't get injured in the fall, and glad the boxes didn't get Tiger. Hang in there, we all go thru stretches when it seems like nothing goes right, it sucks! Just get on here and bitch to us all you want.

Norm - With those rounds it sounds like you're in a nice groove, nice job!

Jim - That meatloaf and taters sure look good!

Went to the Judged Car Show this morning and afternoon, then went home and got my wife and we went to the cruising Main St. event in Festus. It was hot, 94°, but I had a nice spot in the shade and there was some breeze, so it wasn't horrible, but I like hot weather. It was a really fun day, and you can see pics of the judged show at the following link it you want to check them out. There were some really nice 60's and 70's Muscle Cars there.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...9/#post1502295

Hope ya'll have a great rest of your weekend!
Old June 3rd, 2023, 07:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Does anyone else ever think they are just treading water?
Never...you need therapy.
Old June 4th, 2023, 03:52 AM

Chris, The smoked trout with pickled okra was also wonderful.
Old June 4th, 2023, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, The smoked trout with pickled okra was also wonderful.
Jim - I'll have to take your word for it on that one since I've never had smoked Trout. I have had smoked Salmon many times and absolutely love it, so I'd probably like the Trout too.
Old June 4th, 2023, 05:08 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I wasn't certain what fish it was when you posted. Did you smoke the trout? That's a tangy zesty dish w/ lemon, capers & pickled okra - I like tangy.
Old June 4th, 2023, 05:29 AM

norm No I bought it its made by Ducktrap [they also make good Nova, I love vinegary anything./. Last week I made one of my favorites West Indies crab salad. https://www.food.com/recipe/mr-bayle...es-salad-30415
Old June 4th, 2023, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim - I'll have to take your word for it on that one since I've never had smoked Trout. I have had smoked Salmon many times and absolutely love it, so I'd probably like the Trout too.
I've never had smoked trout, but I have had my trout smoked.
Old June 4th, 2023, 09:56 AM
GCH

Hope everybody had a nice weekend , we had really nice weather here for some weeks now and hope it continues. Today we took our bikes and got us some dinner and a nice ride.