The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2023, 01:58 PM

Norm I can't complete Turkey rueben after smacking whitey, ( on the range, )
Old June 23rd, 2023, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Encore performance.

Chris - I'll say this. Jack Daniels BBQ sauce is on the top of my list of BBQ sauces.
Norm - Again, looks like a delicious meal. Where did you buy the JD BBQ sauce? If I can find it around here easily I'll try it. Does it have a slight bourbon flavor to it?
Old June 23rd, 2023, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm I can't complete Turkey rueben after smacking whitey, ( on the range, )
Jim, the sandwich looks tasty! You guys sure are making me hungry!
Old June 23rd, 2023, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

We use Jensen Violet in the classification/identification of both Gram+ & Gram- bacterial species. Like nearly every household in America there was always a bottle of Mercurochrome in our medicine cabinet. With three four boys in our family we sent through some Mercurochrome. It's most likely the reason I am who I am today.

Most know this story, some don't, I'll tell it anyways. One of those flukes of scientific happenstance. Many know in olden days felt was used to make derbies, hats, bonnets, etc. To "shape" the headdress, the hat maker placed the item into a mold (more or less) and used liberal amounts of Mercury vapor (steam) to shape the headdress. I think it was in England (may have been other countries, as well) M.D. began to see a correlation of lunacy with hat makers - mostly because both M.D.'s & hat makers frequented similar taverns/saloons/pubs. Eventually experiments on other animals led to the knowledge of the effects of Mercury poisoning.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'm actually delighted to hear (every pun intended) you did something fun (driving range) after the anguish you most likely experienced for a week harboring that damn ear infection then to find out how relieved you were it was a simple procedure. Whatever is in that Capital City Club cup I'm sure it tasted good. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but in my later years of life I now prefer mayonnaise for French Fries as opposed to ketchup. That Reuben looks delicious - one of my all-time favorite sameeeeeeeeeches.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 02:41 PM

There was also the other antibacterial, Methiolate, that also contained Mercury.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
There was also the other antibacterial, Methiolate, that also contained Mercury.
You almost had the spelling correct. Note it contains an "r" Merthiolate (e.g. Mercury).
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:06 PM

Jim - I'm actually delighted to hear (every pun intended) you did something fun (driving range) after the anguish you most likely experienced for a week harboring that damn ear infection then to find out how relieved you were it was a simple procedure. Whatever is in that Capital City Club cup I'm sure it tasted good. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but in my later years of life I now prefer mayonnaise for French Fries as opposed to ketchup. That Reuben looks delicious - one of my all-time favorite sameeeeeeeeeches.
Arnold Palmer. is in the cup . I like mayo also, 1st time I tried it on FF was in Maastricht I think we ve ben down this Dutch road years ago But I had an Hawaiian Toasties [toasted Ham, cheese pineapple] with FF and Mayo LOVED it Chris Changing subjects A few weeks ago I bought the Super models grand daughter a can of that nasty canned cheddar cheese that squirts out. I know you have some young ones around. She loved it better than any toy Food/play/ fun/cheap entertainment Only problem, is the dogs followed her around all day to see when they might get a squirt

Last edited by Jamesbo; June 23rd, 2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

...Maastricht I think we ve ben down this Dutch road years ago...
We have. I've been to Maastricht on numerous occasions. I have friends who reside in Maastricht. A wonderful town.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:18 PM

My new favorite BBQ sauce is the one far left. I wanna try the jalapeno one, just gotta find it.

Last edited by Fun71; June 23rd, 2023 at 03:20 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:28 PM
Running On Empty

I saw Avatar (James Cameron i.e. Titanic, etc.) in 2009 when it was first released. I saw it at an IMAX theatre; actually, I had to view it in an IMAX theatre because it was recorded and displayed in 3D. One of the absolute best modern day movies I've ever seen - truly thought it was awesome. At any rate, last week (Sunday?) when the Titan was heading down its final slippery slope to 3800 meters (12,500 feet) it reminded me of James Cameron's dive to the bottom of the Marianna Trench in the (certified) Deepsea Challenger submersible - a depth of 10,912 meters (35,800ft) - the deepest known underwater trench on the Blue Planet. A couple days later when the entire fiasco went belly up (literally & figuratively) I was reminded of Avatar once again and what a fantastic film it is - so, I decided to buy the DVD. It arrived today, it won't play in 3D on my CRT television and I don't have a Blue-Ray player hooked up but I don't care. The DVD arrived today and I'm going to watch it this evening.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I nearly picked up a bottle of that Tabasco Original BBQ Sauce about a month ago. I knew I liked Jack Daniels and I guess I wasn't in the "discovery" mode/mood to try something different and opted for something I knew I liked. So, you like it do you? It actually has some "flavor" associated with it? I'll keep that in mind the next time & give it a try.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:45 PM

Chris Changing subjects A few weeks ago I bought the Super models grand daughter a can of that nasty canned cheddar cheese that squirts out. I know you have some young ones around. She loved it better than any toy Food/play/ fun/cheap entertainment Only problem, is the dogs followed her around all day to see when they might get a squirt
Man, that squeeze cheese is some nasty $hit! I would never buy that for the grandkids (no offense intended), they eat too much crap as it is. Neither of my two daughters is very strict in what they allow their kids to eat, they all eat too much crap as far as I'm concerned. Just luckily they all have the metabolism/genes that allow them to eat that stuff without being obese.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 23rd, 2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:49 PM

Kenneth - The Tasbasco BBQ sauce sounds good, that's one I'd like to try too.

Norm - I thoroughly enjoyed Avatar, I've only seen it one time, and it wasn't at the movie theater, let alone an IMAX. I'm sure it was spectacular on an IMAX!
Old June 23rd, 2023, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

Avatar was FANTASTIC in 3D @ IMAX.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 04:01 PM
Running On Empty

I tasted that squeeze cheez $hit a long, long time ago. That is some very, very nasty $hit.
Old June 23rd, 2023, 06:29 PM
Always room for one more

Mom and I had a very nice afternoon supping with some friends at Dillard House in Dillard, GA. Love that place. Perfect setting for friends to set a spell and just enjoy the company. And the fried chicken isn't too bad, either. Being two hours plus away from me, we don't go too often, which means it will stay special.

Today is the last official day of my vacation. Now for the weekend and I go back to work Monday. Doesn't really feel like I've been off for two weeks. Wonder how many times my work has changed since I've been gone. I suppose if something huge would have happened someone would have called me.

Jamesbo glad the ear is better. I've got about 50% hearing in my one ear, which is up from zero. One time I got this infection, the ear drum still worked but the information couldn't make it to the brain. After a lot of medicine, about half of my hearing came back, it's been like this now for probably 15 years. It's annoying at times but I'm thankful I got as much back as I did. Completely deaf in one ear ain't no picnic.

Old June 23rd, 2023, 07:39 PM

Jim - Great news.
X2
Happy Happy
Old June 23rd, 2023, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
My new favorite BBQ sauce is the one far left. I wanna try the jalapeno one, just gotta find it.

Aldi's had Tabasco brand in stock for a bit. Worth buying and trying for sure. I had the original flavor sweet heat...
Old June 23rd, 2023, 09:07 PM

Norm,
yes it is very flavorful with just a bit of heat.
Old June 24th, 2023, 06:40 AM

After the funeral I'm heading norte Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old June 24th, 2023, 06:48 AM
Running On Empty

After the funeral I'm heading norte Have a great weekend Olds friends
Enjoy...
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:14 AM

Stock pic to give you the idear. Das boat has a Honda 90 with similar controls. For reason know only to the elfs that Phuque with boats during the night my neutral button has started sticking. Behind the big black rubber button is a plastic button about the size of a pencil in a plastic sleeve. When it started sticking I yank out the rubber cover and sprayed it with WD 40 WRONG idear. I was gonna use some spray greese untilm I spoke with Donny He said dont ad any gunk its gonna make it worse. Sooooooooooooooo I took his advice cleaned it off and shot it a few times with the air I bought at Walmart. Worked like a charm
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:29 AM
Running On Empty

No no no, Jimmy. WD-40 + rubber = Bad Mojo
Old June 25th, 2023, 09:53 AM

Norm, The rubber is just the cover. The switch is plastic. BUT inquiring minds how come [ in the vernacular]
Old June 25th, 2023, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, The rubber is just the cover. The switch is plastic. BUT inquiring minds how come [ in the vernacular]
I was reminded recently, by Kenneth in fact, you shouldn't use grease on rubber bushings as they'll cause the rubber to swell and deteriorate. It was w/in a thread addressing suspension bushings. Kenneth is essentially, correct - petroleum products will cause natural rubber to swell and deteriorate over time (more importantly a petroleum-based grease, fluid, etc. i.e. WD-40, gasoline, petroleum products in general can accelerate the deterioration of natural rubber).

The "issue" (if one exists), is what type of rubber are we talking about? And, to this end there are a gazillion forms of rubber and many (actually MOST) are synthetic rubber with very minimal amounts of latex (rubber). Are you sorry you asked yet?

So the common notion among automotive industries (in particular) is to use silicone (based) grease (products) on rubber rather than petroleum (based) products. The underlying truth is this - there is no silicone grease which is not without petroleum. Like anything, it's the "backbone" of the compound which is significant. A silicone (based) lubricant has a silicate "backbone"; but, that's where it ends. Many (MOST) of the remaining chemicals in ANY silicone product are petroleum based - the hydrocarbons are simply "linked" to a silicate backbone; albeit, deriving the name "silicone". By now you hate the fact you asked this question I'm sure.

Natural rubber is a latex - natural rubber is derived from & produced from natural latex (the natural elemental compound derived from plants, specifically only two commercially significant plant species).

Unless you're a chemist, your average everyday Joe has absolutely nearly 99% no knowledge whatsoever regarding the actual molecular constituents which make up what we call "rubber". Most rubber products (especially today) are all made from synthetic latex. Synthetic latex is a petroleum polymer - polymer meaning it has many linked side-chains in its structure. A protein is a polymer of amino acids i.e. many side-chains of amino acids linked together e.g. polypeptides (peptide is the bond which holds the side-chains together). To this end, when a silicone (based) grease is produced, instead of relying on latex "alone", the backbone (structure) of the silicone grease contains a silicate chain instead of a heavy hydrocarbon chain.

With all this mumbo-jumbo it is unequivocally certain a silicone (based) grease absolutely does, in fact, contain petroleum products - many, many, many petroleum (based) side-chain products.

There's really no direct very simple answer unless you know SPECIFICALLY the molecular constituency of the silicone grease (product) &/or you know SPECIFICALLY the molecular structure of the rubber - synthetic or natural, side-linked chains, etc., etc. ad infinitum.

Absolutely not the answer you wanted to hear. Latex chemistry is HUGE - absolutely HUGE. I know the fundamentals but I am nowhere near any authority on knowing what latex (rubber) or silicone (based) product is best for any application. With that said, it still (most likely) is correct to "assume" a silicone (based) grease (product) is most likely a better lubricant for a rubber (based) product (in general).

That's just the absolute "beginning" of defining what the modern world considers to be a "rubber" product. Now you can hate yourself for asking.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 25th, 2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:07 PM

Tanks Norm I understood my usual 40 %
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:29 PM
Running On Empty

If you understood 40% you’re far ahead of the masses.
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - My goal moving forward is a SLOW backswing.
Old June 25th, 2023, 01:41 PM

I just saw Dailey say, If he stops his back swing at parallel he has terrible pain in his back, When he takes it back farther no pain Kinda Weird But this is the guy that drives me crazy https://duckduckgo.com/?q=moe+norman...%3Dr5LEelOEbQg

Last edited by Jamesbo; June 25th, 2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old June 25th, 2023, 02:08 PM
Running On Empty

On my phone, will look more indoors. I think that’s the Hank One Shot fixes all video? I’ve seen it before, the advertisement not the actual drill, correction/fix you’d have to pay for. Someone must have a video for free with the same technique. Hank doesn’t own the rights to fix a swing. Where’s the freebie version?
Old June 25th, 2023, 02:31 PM

Norm I don't really know but I've been told Moe had a screw [or 10] loose and didn't have any problem hitting a few thousand ***** a day
Old June 25th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'm indoors (A/C) more time to noodle around a bit. Think I"ll make a pizza. Humidity is 88% outdoors & I was at it w/ yard work most of the day. I found another black snake lurking about the same area as the last black snake - this one was smaller maybe 3' - 4' in length & skinnier. The last one was about 6' and fat. Can't recall if females or males are smaller (of the same age). I was going to grab it but I was too tired to get involved. I was thinking I'd check out its vent to see if it was male or female. Too much work. I have a light flannel shirt in the man-cave, so catching it isn't a big deal. If it nabs me it's going to be on the hands or arms and the tiny little backward teeth (a million of them) are so small they won't puncture a flannel shirt. The real issue is hoping they don't spray white gooey $hit at you. They literally expel poop right from their bunger when you catch them & it smells wretched. Once you get 'em in your hands they're pretty docile honestly. Maybe another day.
Old June 25th, 2023, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

The diesel tractor F250 has been getting modestly more sluggish during start-up the past maybe one or two months. I started noticing it was becoming more pronounced in the past couple weeks. Once it's been driven it starts up BANG! After sitting a couple days start-up is sluggish. So, I'm suspecting batteries are ending their life cycle. Can't recall if I've replaced both batteries once or twice during my 20 year ownership. Argh...they're not difficult to replace just time consuming removing them; and, you can't replace just one, you need to replace both to gain any benefit. Measured voltage was ~11.7V when I hooked up the meter, then climbed to ~12.3V. Kept checking it every hour or so during the day & basically hovered ~ 12.3V throughout the day. 12.3V is ~70%, 11.75V is ~30%. Thought I'd do a start-up cycle - just turned on the IGN SW to start to warm up the glow plugs and voltage dropped immediately to 11.75V (30%). Then thought I'd start it. It was somewhat sluggish to start then turned it off immediately to catch another voltage reading - it settle in at 12.3V. I didn't want the ALT to begin charging - just wanted to test those two parameters - turn IGN to ON to warm up glow plugs, then a quick start and shutoff. Next, started it up and let it run. Measured voltage on both batteries climbed to 14.3V so ALT is doing its job of charging. Then took for a small 10 mile run. Upon return the batteries immediately read 13.2V which is nice; but, I'm quite suspicious the batteries aren't going to hold 13.2V overnight. I'll measure again in the morning. I think they're both approaching the end of their shelf life.

I'm not quite sure why some diesel engines do and some diesels don't have a compression relief valve built into the cylinder head - you'd think most would. It takes some serious amperage to crank a 16:1 ratio engine - the primary reason it has two 12V batteries and not one. I've looked and there isn't a compression relief valve on this diesel engine. I know some diesel engines have an automagic compression relief valve when you turn on the IGN switch to heat the glow plugs, it will open a compression relief valve; then, after it starts the relief valve close. Oh well, I'm getting carried away. Time to fire up the oven.
Old June 25th, 2023, 04:34 PM

Hi guys,
Went to a charity car show today across the river in Columbia, IL, about 25-miles from me. It was a charity event for a little girl with cancer, so a worthy cause. One of my very best friends lives over near there and came to spend about 2/3 of the day with me, and there were also about 7 or 8 guys from our local Oldsmobile Club which was nice.

Plenty of sunshine, but brutally hot. High of 103° at 3:00pm, luckily we were getting out of there about then. I was also lucky to get there early and get a parking spot on the north side of a.pretty tall building so I had shade all day. Without the shade I would have been miserable. I was in what was arguably the toughest class there today, 1964 - 1972 Muscle Cars, but I was still able to pull out a 3rd place and felt damn lucky to get that. Must have been the new black zip ties under the hood!

Old June 25th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - You know damn well it was the new black zip-ties - c'mon. Sounds like you had a really nice day of it - old friend(s) abounding and kibitzing all day. Sounds fun.
Old June 25th, 2023, 04:48 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Holy Snotrockets, I must have clicked on something else on my phone because Hank Haney came up not Moe Norman in the link you sent. I just watched the Moe video.
Jim - Before this day, I never even knew who the hell Moe Norman was/is. Now, I'm on a mission.
Old June 25th, 2023, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Damn it Jim (StarTrek) - I'm having a blast watching Moe.
Old June 25th, 2023, 07:18 PM

Chris - You know damn well it was the new black zip-ties - c'mon. Sounds like you had a really nice day of it - old friend(s) abounding and kibitzing all day. Sounds fun.
Thanks Norm, it was a fun day despite the oppressive heat. Hope the new batteries are all the F250 needs, although Im sure they ain't cheap.
Old June 26th, 2023, 03:58 AM

Jim - Holy Snotrockets, I must have clicked on something else on my phone because Hank Haney came up not Moe Norman in the link you sent. I just watched the Moe video.
Jim - Before this day, I never even knew who the hell Moe Norman was/is. Now, I'm on a mission.
Norm....Moe Norman, best ball striker ever! He played PGA tour events only briefly but had to give it up due to the fact he was a painfully shy individual! ( I don't know the clinical term, but he used to come in second at tournaments so he didn't have to give a speech!)

Last edited by Bunser; June 26th, 2023 at 04:01 AM.