The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2023, 04:21 AM

--Hi guys, Last week on Monday I went to see my Hospice guy, Walt. He was just normal. He and his "girlfriend" ( a nice old gal who also lives in apts) talked about going on a pontoon boat ride on our lake. (this is completely against my Hospice health organizations rules, but I was gonna do it anyways). He was so bored- anyway..., We were planning for me to pick them up on Thursday of last week. Got there on Thurs and everything had changed, he took a turn for the worse and could barely talk and was very confused. It appeared that he was in process to be moved to a assisted care place. I called my "boss" and she knew nothing... They apparently don't feel we as volunteers are important enough to keep informed on our patients... Anyway obviously the boat ride was cancelled.
--I came back on Friday about 10 AM and found him getting ready to leave to go to his "daughters" place down south of Detroit. He was no kids. This woman is the daughter of his long time girlfriend who had passed years ago. She already was his beneficiary and she stepped up to take him to her place so she and her hubby can take care of Walt in his last days. He has been transferred from my county's Hospice to the other county's. I talked to her and she says Walt was more of a caring father for than her natural father and step father ever were. So I said good bye to him- he has actually enriched my life and I hope I was a help to him.
--I am gonna miss him and the other old folks at the apt complex- though I plan to go see the other folks as I have really got to like some of them. I have talked to my hospice boss and told her I won't be doing any more volunteering for hospice. It makes me depressed, I have too many friends dying already...
-- Ok enough of that-- Have a good one guys!!
Old June 26th, 2023, 04:22 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bunser
Norm....Moe Norman, best ball striker ever! He played PGA tour events only briefly but had to give it up due to the fact he was a painfully shy individual! ( I don't know the clinical term, but he used to come in second at tournaments so he didn't have to give a speech!)
As I'm finding out Moe had a very storied life. Very interesting guy.
Old June 26th, 2023, 04:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hope the new batteries are all the F250 needs, although Im sure they ain't cheap.
Chris - I'll get a better feel over the next several days as I monitor voltage of the batteries but I suspect the batteries (at least one of them) are on their last legs. Correct, they're not inexpensive.
It's 90% humidity at this moment - you can cut it w/ a knife.
Old June 26th, 2023, 04:55 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm I don't really know but I've been told Moe had a screw [or 10] loose...
He has a peculiar mannerism about him.
Old June 26th, 2023, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I have talked to my hospice boss and told her I won't be doing any more volunteering for hospice. It makes me depressed, I have too many friends dying already...
-- Ok enough of that-- Have a good one guys!!
Greg - That's a tough story, made me sad just to read it. It would be really hard for me to be a hospice volunteer too. It takes special people to be able to work with the critically ill or dying on a daily basis. My hat is off to those people who can do it, they are unsung heroes. My oldest daughter is the Charge Nurse on a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, many people's "last resort" to beat the big-C. Some of those patients make it, many don't. I don't know how she works in that environment everyday, but I'm glad there are people like her that can!
Old June 26th, 2023, 07:39 AM
Jeff

Garage sale was a success, despite Friday being interrupted / closed for rain. About $450 in sales, lots of big stuff gone. Wife did not help AT ALL, so I am hoping that my efforts have shown her that it is time for her to take a harder look at totes that didn't even get opened up. I think we still have enough crap to do another sale later this summer, so one side of the garage might wind up with tables for a few weeks. We shall see. She was off for a girl's weekend to Put-in-Bay, OH the past 4 days, and hasn't even seen how well I did with emptying the basement. Plus, I have a couple of small engine items that need carb cleans that could use a new home, too. Craftsman leaf blower and a power washer that has a suspected bad pump -- don't buy a power washer unless you can test it first! I picked it up in an auction for $21, so pretty sure I can get that money back out of it.

Mercury & hatmaking -- this is where the phrase "mad as a hatter" and the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland comes from.

Easy Cheese and Chicken in a Biscuit crackers. Absolutely one of my favorite snacks since I was a kid. Why all the hate for spray cheese in a can? It's delicious. I do wonder, though, as they market dog treat spray cheese in a can. Do they run them on the same line? The cans are IDENTICAL, save for the wording on the can.

That Tabasco-branded BBQ sauce, does it have that typical Tabasco taste? Try as I might, I have never been able to adjust my tastebuds to that flavor, and cannot stand it. Bleah.

I made a smart decision when I was younger by not choosing to go into the medical profession. I used to be stone cold with my emotions, but after becoming a dad, I have an added respect for those in the field. I could not handle dying patients, it would absolutely destroy me on a regular basis.

Last edited by Weezer; June 26th, 2023 at 07:45 AM.
Old June 26th, 2023, 09:05 AM
Always room for one more

Jeff I'm with you on the people dying bit. Especially if I got close to them like Greg does. Glad your garage sale was a success. When I was younger Mom would have a garage sale every couple of years. It was quite the production.

So back at work after being off two weeks. Ah, it seems like I never left. A friend of mine who retired a couple years ago would say he was wishing his life away, because he would want the week to go by quickly. I said nah it evens out, because you wish your time off to go that much slower.

Gonna be hot this week. Not Kenneth hot, but pretty hot. I've noticed I can't stay out in the heat as long as I have in the past. I think it's because I get tired quicker in general and the heat doesn't help.

Old June 26th, 2023, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Garage sale was a success, despite Friday being interrupted / closed for rain. About $450 in sales, lots of big stuff gone.
Jeff - Congrats on the garage sale! Alot of stuff gone and a nice payout to show for it.
Old June 26th, 2023, 01:18 PM

Mike - I always hated going back after a week or two off. It was almost like a punishment with so much to catch up on.

Nicer here today with a strong breeze, drier air, and a high of only 88° compared to the ridiculous 103° we had yesterday. Forcast is for more temps above 100° for Thursday and Friday though. I don't think I've ever seen it this dry here in June, we need rain really bad.
Old June 26th, 2023, 01:30 PM

Norm, I just replaced 2 batteries on my Duramax last week Went to locale Interstate battery store and was quoted over 2 large per battery. Using my contractor name they would knock off 20 bucks each. Found group 78 Intersate batteries at Costco for 100.00
Old June 26th, 2023, 01:36 PM

I'll play catch up, as I haven't been on for a bit. Dealing with Insurance companies for short term disability is a pain in the ****. Back at work, foot still hurts, new boots are digging into my ankles, I won't wear them tomorrow. I have some Jim Beam honey bourbon sauce that I have yet to try. I better get some ribs so I can try it. I took just a couple of pics at Homecoming, but I haven't try to post here because when I down load the pics from my memory card, it will not give me the option of putting them into a folder or naming the folder, just downloads to photos in no particular order. Greg, very nice of you to try and give that gentleman a boat ride. Sad that it couldn't be done. I agree on the consensus of the submersible, shouldn't have been in the water w/o certification,and a shame that that arrogant A-hole took others to their end. Norm, mercury was used by the hatter's? I always thought that it was lead that was used to shape the hats. Learned something new. All I recall from my youth is Iodine being put on cuts and abrasions, but it was, like six decades ago, so I could be wrong. Reminds me of the second grade, when I slipped climbing the monkey bars at recess, hit my chin on one of the bars, and split it open. Cried like a second grader of course, teacher took me inside, wiped the blood off, put a band aid on it, and said I'll be fine. I still have a 1 1/4" scar to show for it. Today a trip to the E.R. would be required, and there would be a lawsuit against the school, the teacher, and the manufacturer of the monkey bars. Currently have my buddies son looking for a '70-71 SX, or a '72 U or V code for me. He has a nose for finding cars on the internet.
Old June 26th, 2023, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Currently have my buddies son looking for a '70-71 SX, or a '72 U or V code for me. He has a nose for finding cars on the internet.
Dan - I'm assuming at one point you owned a '69 W31 car, do you still have it? If not, do you currently own any Oldsmobiles? I'm always perusing the classic car sites, I'll keep my eye out for you too!
Old June 26th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
...spray cheese in a can? It's delicious. I do wonder, though, as they market dog treat spray cheese in a can. Do they run them on the same line? The cans are IDENTICAL, save for the wording on the can.
It's quite possible you may have answered your own question.
Old June 26th, 2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
He has a peculiar mannerism about him.
It is interesting what, and who, diversity "fluff" talk" ironically suits. Good for Moe sticking with his own unique convictions. Stronger than most. To all that had the gall to not accept... shame on you.

Last edited by otto72; June 26th, 2023 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added tutorial
Old June 26th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
It is interesting what, and who, diversity "fluff" talk" ironically suits. Good for Moe sticking with his own unique convictions. Stronger than most. To all that had the gall to not accept... shame on you.
Keith - I couldn't agree more. Moe appeared to be a super nice guy. I read in one article he played so much a couple times (he wasn't making much money either) & was so tired he couldn't (or didn't want to go back to his hotel room, or maybe didn't even have a hotel room); so, he slept in a sand bunker overnight. See, that's the kinda $hit I'd do, as well. I give a flying rat's a$$ what anyone else thinks about how I conduct myself (within the scope of normal reasoning, of course). Phuque the PGA **** knocking heads up their **** fraternity boys. Dollars to donuts they organize a big circle-jerk for themselves several time per year. They're just all about themselves. I'm a "Tin Cup" type golfer. Some either do know or they don't know the difference between the USGA & the PGA. I have the utmost respect for the USGA - I respect the PGA as a business but they conduct themselves and (IMO) have historically treated the PGA players like dog meat. OK, I'm off the soap box (for a couple minutes anyways)...truck is in the garage, I'm going to change out the batteries. I have a 1.5hr drive to play golf tomorrow - tee time 9:30am.
Old June 26th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Norm, I just replaced 2 batteries on my Duramax last week Went to locale Interstate battery store and was quoted over 2 large per battery. Using my contractor name they would knock off 20 bucks each. Found group 78 Intersate batteries at Costco for 100.00
Ray - I grabbed two Duralast Gold series batteries this morning - $219/battery + core charge, blah, blah, blah. 850 CCA/1000 cranking amps (each), 150' reserve capacity - basically identical to the two Duralast currently in the truck. These are essentially the lower end of the Duralast Gold series of batteries. Since I don't use the truck commercially, I've never found the need to drop $300+ per battery. I did get them to knock off 10% but it's still more than pocket change. My nearest Costco is in Wilmington, ~2hrs South of me (Podunk, USA). OK, the batteries await my attention.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 26th, 2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old June 26th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Hey guys - I haven't posted any pics of my wife's work in quite awhile. She finished this dresser w/mirror on Sunday and I think it's pretty stunning.

Old June 26th, 2023, 04:38 PM

Norm Have ya ever made a historic 12?https://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube+ti...%3DM8e8vSiLrVU
Old June 26th, 2023, 04:53 PM

Dan - I'm assuming at one point you owned a '69 W31 car, do you still have it? If not, do you currently own any Oldsmobiles? I'm always perusing the classic car sites, I'll keep my eye out for you too!
I do still have it, but it will go. Too much of a resto project for me.
Old June 26th, 2023, 04:56 PM

This afternoon is that “dry heat” that you always hear about. With that humidity the Heat Index is 102. I’m heading to the pool before all the water evaporates.

Old June 26th, 2023, 04:57 PM

Wow, Chris, that's cool as hell.
Old June 26th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I do still have it, but it will go. Too much of a resto project for me.
Dan - Believe me I get it! I'm such a poor mechanic I'd have to farm 95% out and it would cost me more than buying one that's already done. Plus, I'm sure you'd like something you can enjoy now rather than having to go thru a long drawn out resto.

Thanks for the kind compliment on the dresser, I'll let my wife know.
Old June 26th, 2023, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
This afternoon is that “dry heat” that you always hear about.
Ya, like the inside of an oven!
Old June 26th, 2023, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

It was 90% humidity @ 91°F today which equates to a ~116°F Heat Index and it isn't any better right now - you can cut it w/ a knife.
Old June 26th, 2023, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

It's like the difference between night & day w/ the new batteries. AMPS baby....throw me those AMPS!!!
There are several items which draw voltage & amperage when I turn on this diesel tractor - I won't go into the several items. The first is it throws amps to the glow plugs to heat them up to fire off the cylinders. The second (which draws much more amperage) and something diesel owners don't often realize is it tosses lots of amperage to the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump). The HPOP is responsible for the EFI/FICM fuel delivery. The absolute minimum required is 500psi, nominally it should achieve between 1,000psi - 1,200psi, optimally it should deliver between 1,500psi - 2,000psi while running. Having bad batteries can reduce the HPOP psi during starting & this can add to premature wearing of the HPOP.

I have AMPS....I have AMPS, baby doll!!! Fires off like a firecracker.

EDIT: The last set of batteries I installed was 6/10/2017 (batteries had a date code of 3/17). These fresh batteries have a date code of 4/23.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 26th, 2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old June 26th, 2023, 06:13 PM

It was 90% humidity @ 91°F today which equates to a ~116°F Heat Index and it isn't any better right now - you can cut it w/ a knife.
That's brutal Norm, be careful if you're out working in that crap. Glad to see you got the F250 firing on all cylinders, pun intended.
Old June 26th, 2023, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

Amps, amps, amps, amps, amps, amps.........give me amps, baby!
Old June 26th, 2023, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm Have ya ever made a historic 12?
I've only watched Tin Cup ~30 times. You'd think I would know how it's done by now. She'd get into my head for sure....

Old June 27th, 2023, 07:34 AM

Norm You're a slacker if only 30 X
Old June 27th, 2023, 07:59 AM

My inbox on here filled up, so, while I was listening to an online meeting droning on, I went through some messages. You can actually make new folders, so I made a folder to retain some messages I wanted to keep and one to put to be deleted into temporarily as I sorted. Then, I cleaned out the junk folder. Down to less than 50% now. I'll do more during the next meeting.

Another trick I found is this thing tracks messages, not size thereof, so, often, you can keep the last message in a conversation if it has all the quotes in reply of the previous, delete all the previous ones, and still have everything in a certain way.
Old June 27th, 2023, 02:21 PM

So, this story fits into the category "They'll get you any way they can!" June 23rd was the 1-yr anniversary for the install of our new water softener. Exactly on the 23rd, my wife came up from the basement and told me the LED screen on the controller was flashing Red with the message "Scheduled Maintenance Required". I went down to check it and scrolled through all the diagnostic screens and everything was functioning as it should. I even checked the hardness of the water it was putting out and it was fine. Then I got out the manual and checked the descriptions of all the Red error/warning screens and there is no mention of any "Scheduled Maintenance Required" screen, nor is there any mention of any annual "Scheduled Maintenance" described anywhere in the manual. So yesterday I called the company that installed our unit and asked to talk to a technician about the situation. So, when I asked the technician what was up with the "Scheduled Maintenance" screen, he replied they were able to program that into the controller to remind their customers to get their annual Maintenance done. I asked how much does that cost and what do you do? He said it cost $170 and they come out and check all the diagnostics and check the water hardness to make sure it's functioning properly. I said I've already done all that per the owner's manual, including checking the water hardness and it's functioning perfectly so I guess I don't need the Maintenance Service. He said, well I guess you don't if you're sure it's working correctly. Then I asked, how do you get rid of the Maintenance Service screen because it's not explained in the owner's manual, and he told me. I then thanked him for his time. So, how many people do you think have them come out to do Required Maintenance, and they actually do absolutely nothing of any consequence??? AiYiYi, They'll get you any way they can!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 27th, 2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old June 27th, 2023, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Never heard of such a thing. Mine is Culligan Medalist Series. You must be special..
On that note my water softener took a nose dive ~4 days ago w/ an E1 Error - motor won't turn off. Long story short, part is expensive, found correct part $100 less from a company. Their website payment system was crap, payment couldn't go through, sent them an e-mail, no response they list no contact telephone number. Oh well...a marching I shall go....a marching I shall go....high hoe the....
Old June 27th, 2023, 04:36 PM

Chris - Never heard of such a thing. Mine is Culligan Medalist Series. You must be special..
On that note my water softener took a nose dive ~4 days ago w/ an E1 Error - motor won't turn off. Long story short, part is expensive, found correct part $100 less from a company. Their website payment system was crap, payment couldn't go through, sent them an e-mail, no response they list no contact telephone number. Oh well...a marching I shall go....a marching I shall go....high hoe the....
Norm - I've already forgotten what we had that was about 16-years old when it died. We ended up buying a brand called Aqua Systems on the recommendation of a couple of neighbors who had recently purchased them. I really like it so far other than the little Service trick they tried to pull. Recharge cycle is pretty quiet and programming/controls are easy to understand even for me. They have a 7-year warranty (parts & labor) on everything, and lifetime on the tanks. The model we got was $1,999 a year ago when we bought it and that included installation and hauling off the old one. Now they're $2,199. If you're interested they do sell them in multiple states, but who knows if there's a distributor anywhere near you? The link is specifically for the model we purchased.

https://www.ilovemywater.com/stlouis...ater-softener/
Old June 27th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - I've already forgotten what we had that was about 16-years old when it died. We ended up buying a brand called Aqua Systems on the recommendation of a couple of neighbors who had recently purchased them. I really like it so far other than the little Service trick they tried to pull. Recharge cycle is pretty quiet and programming/controls are easy to understand even for me. They have a 7-year warranty (parts & labor) on everything, and lifetime on the tanks. The model we got was $1,999 a year ago when we bought it and that included installation and hauling off the old one. Now they're $2,199. If you're interested they do sell them in multiple states, but who knows if there's a distributor anywhere near you? The link is specifically for the model we purchased.
Chris - Thanks, I already own a water softener.
Old June 27th, 2023, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - What is your water hardness? I don't know (can't recall) if the actually "performed" a water hardness test (I suspect they may have) or they just used a known geological survey hardness mapping equivalent (I'm on municipal water); so, they may have just taken the information from the municipality water treatment facility. I think I may have tested myself a couple times. Anyway, my water hardness is 11 G.P.G. - very hard. Looking at my receipt they installed it on 5/7/2010, water softener = $1595, Total = $1721.67 (includes installation). You can't even hear this thing run and the backwash sound is negligible.

Well, I found a "used" (excellent condition like New) rebuild kit on eBay from a gentleman w/ 100% positive feedback. Like many appliance pieces some guys are great at rebuilding stuff so I suspect (maybe) he rebuilt it. Has a great reputation at any rate. The normal new rebuild kit is ~$300, I bought this one for $159. Fingers crossed.

Old June 27th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Chris - What is your water hardness? I don't know (can't recall) if the actually "performed" a water hardness test (I suspect they may have) or they just used a known geological survey hardness mapping equivalent (I'm on municipal water); so, they may have just taken the information from the municipality water treatment facility. I think I may have tested myself a couple times. Anyway, my water hardness is 11 G.P.G. - very hard. Looking at my receipt they installed it on 5/7/2010, water softener = $1595, Total = $1721.67 (includes installation). You can't even hear this thing run and the backwash sound is negligible.

Well, I found a "used" (excellent condition like New) rebuild kit on eBay from a gentleman w/ 100% positive feedback. Like many appliance pieces some guys are great at rebuilding stuff so I suspect (maybe) he rebuilt it. Has a great reputation at any rate. The normal new rebuild kit is ~$300, I bought this one for $159. Fingers crossed.

Norm - Our water hardness is 238 milligrams/litre which converts to a little over 13 gpg, so very, very hard. We are on municipal water also and these figures came directly out of one of the 2022 water reports. Glad you found a reasonably priced rebuild kit!
Old June 27th, 2023, 05:35 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - Our water hardness is 238 milligrams/litre which converts to a little over 13 gpg, so very, very hard. We are on municipal water also and these figures came directly out of one of the 2022 water reports. Glad you found a reasonably priced rebuild kit!
Holy Snot Rockets. That's insane. The hardest water in the state of Missou is @ Cape Girardeau w/ 257 gpg mg/l.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 27th, 2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old June 27th, 2023, 06:59 PM

I'm at 7.7 in the Evil.
Old June 27th, 2023, 07:17 PM

Chris, that controller looks very similar to the Clack WS-1 on my system, but mine is the 5 button style. . It’s maybe 5-6 years old and is on its second round of leaking through the drain line. The fix is to replace the o-ring cage.

Old June 28th, 2023, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, that controller looks very similar to the Clack WS-1 on my system, but mine is the 5 button style. . It’s maybe 5-6 years old and is on its second round of leaking through the drain line. The fix is to replace the o-ring cage.

Kenneth - I'm assuming you checked out the link to the water softener model we bought. You might not have seen it without zooming in a little, but there are 5 buttons on the face of the controller on the model we bought. There are 3 buttons below the LED screen and 2 on the right of the screen. I'm having a hard time visualizing where that o-ring cage goes, it must fit somewhere within the valve assembly? Where on the unit did you actually see the leak? If it happens on ours, I hope it happens before the 7-year parts and labor warranty expires.