The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2023, 12:43 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I'll say it's nice. It was so long ago I had XM then Sirius. About the time I had XM then Sirius I used to listen to Howard Stern show. Can't recall exactly how it all went down, but wasn't he a HUGE promoter of both XM then SiriusXM? As said, I recall how he was switching from public radio to private (I think) - i.e. XM>SiriusXM? Don't know whatever happened with that deal.

Speaking of Howard Stern. I watch Instagram more regularly than you'd expect because there's a good deal of humor on Instagram. It's uncertain whether I'd consider this humorous...but it's OUT THERE! This chick (Abby) is an R.N., married and mother of two children....

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 2nd, 2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 01:11 PM

I grew up in Florida, and it is an odd state with several freedoms and several restrictions. In FL, there are no flying fireworks. Everyone goes to SC and buys them and comes back and tells the cops to kiss it.

Being a young man at the time, I could not go to SC. I used to dabble in model rocketry. For an Independence Day party, I went off to the hobby store and got Estes rocket engines. Went to the Home Depot and got balsa and cardboard tubes and fuse. Went to a big tent fireworks stand and bought numerous, stay on the ground, multi stage fountains. Home I went.

I shucked the decorative outer tubes of these fountains and found three tubes designed to go sequentially. This three tube unit would fit in the rocket housing. Built several rockets with these stripped down fountains and Estes D engines in a cardboard tube pinched shut at the top for a nose cone, and balsa fins. The idea of model rockets is there is a nozzle, a propellant charge, a delay charge, another nozzle, and an ejector charge that pushes your fireproof wadding, parachute, and nose cone out and off and a rubber cord holds it all together so you can recover the rocket. Not these. I figured the ejection charge would set off at least one fuse, and the fireworks would light off, lighting any other fuse, and burning their way out of the cardboard.

So, we got good and drunk. Decided it was time about 11pm. Set up a launcher with a couple cinder blocks and a launch guide rod. Dropped a rocket down the soda straw guide rod loop to get it going straight, lit the fuse, and backed way off. The Estes D is enthusiastic, so Elvis left the building in a hurry. I think typical height was a few hundred feet; the ejection charge fired, and the fountains went for all 3 tubes at once, so, only about ten seconds, but they weren't up that high, so one was still firing off when it hit the ground.

It was about 50/50 if I was considered a genius or a lunatic that night.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 03:25 PM

John - That was certainly an early indication of "the engineer" coming out in you. Very cool!
Old July 2nd, 2023, 04:40 PM

Norm,
I don’t like listening to people talk on the radio so I have no knowledge of Mr Stern and his various programs. I use XM for listening to music and it was a sad day for me when the XM / Sirius merger brought the “radio personalities” a.k.a. disc jockeys from Sirius onto the previously all music, no talk XM platform. So now I station surf when the talking heads start their babbling.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 04:42 PM

John,
I like your style. You and I have very similar interests and experiences, would get along exceptionally well, and likely get into much trouble if we ever hung out together. I had similar thoughts about Estes rockets but with payloads of home made black powder that I learned to make in junior high school.

Last edited by Fun71; July 2nd, 2023 at 08:39 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 05:05 PM
Running On Empty

The Culligan water softener part arrived yesterday I did the R&R today. I have soft water once again - I'm not completely certain why but I'm not complaining. I hope this truly was the issue.
Old July 2nd, 2023, 08:06 PM
Running On Empty

I really didn't want to but I did. The Spurge (weed) is out-of-control in my lawn. Yesterday I pounded my lawn w/ 2,4 D (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid). I have centipede grass. Centipede is a sensitive grass & I know the Centipede is going to turn a light yellow as a result of pounding it w/ 2,4 D but I want the Spurge gone.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 10:50 AM

Norm could you send me this picture? I don't seem to be able to get it on my phone
Old July 3rd, 2023, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Sent. Let me know if you didn't get it.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - That picture I sent to you is only 442KB - not very detailed quality picture because I had to download the picture you posted then send it to you so it ran through a compression routine. If you'd like me to send you the original picture, I can sent it back to you via e-mail and it would be much better quality (normg@normg.com). If you're good that's cool, if not send me the original. Send me the original to my e-mail if you want a better image.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
John,
I like your style. You and I have very similar interests and experiences, would get along exceptionally well, and likely get into much trouble if we ever hung out together. I had similar thoughts about Estes rockets but with payloads of home made black powder that I learned to make in junior high school.
Kenneth, Norm may be able to comment more, but, there's a way to use sugar and some other stuff to make home made solid rocket engines. Have not tried it yet.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:29 AM

Yep, I am familiar with sugar rocket fuel.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:31 AM

Norm didnt get it via text. I have no idea where the original is sorry/tanks
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:42 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Oh heck, I sent it to your e-mail address. I'll send one to you via text.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Done
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:47 AM

https://www.skylighter.com/pages/fre...chnic-formulas

I'll be reading this for a while.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:48 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Yeah - That should keep you busy, John.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:49 AM

Tanks norm
Old July 3rd, 2023, 11:57 AM
Running On Empty

The best sugar rockets are potassium nitrate (salt peter) + sugar in a 2:1 ratio (potassium nitrate:sugar). I just finished watching this one and he does a great job.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

Any of y'all made a spud gun? My brothers and me have made several - lots of fun.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Any of y'all made a spud gun? My brothers and me have made several - lots of fun.
Yes, I have, and then I realized I was doing it dangerously.

Speaking of pressure, with new seals and valves and thermostat stoppers and trays, these 70 year old Presto Model 40s are running under steam once again.

Old July 3rd, 2023, 08:15 PM

I never made a spud gun, but we did make tennis ball cannons that were propelled by vaporized butane lighter fluid. They were really cool to set off at night because the tennis ball would be flaming as it went up. Probably dangerous as hell and just lucky none of us ever got burned badly.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 08:28 PM

I had a really nice day at the Car Show today. Good turnout for a work day and alot of very, very nice cars. It was a Top 15 (car or truck) format and I didn't make the cut. I didn't feel too bad though, a pristine Lamborghini didn't place either.

This picture was taken relatively early. I wanted to take pics before it got too warm on that asphalt. That huge lot was full by noon when registration ended.

If you would like to see my other pics you can see them via this link:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...4/#post1508675

We had a gorgeous sunset this evening, a beautiful way to end a very enjoyable day.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July and stay safe!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 4th, 2023 at 05:25 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2023, 08:31 PM
Running On Empty

Tennis ball gun same as a spud gun.
Old July 4th, 2023, 04:29 AM

Hi guys. It has been a long July 4th celebration, starting on Thurs nite June 30th thru today Tues the 4th. Whew, lots of fun and good weather. Though yesterday we decided to take Olds up to Higgins Lake to see my son's wife's family there. Left here hot as hell and sunny. Got almost to our destination and started to pour rain- top down, Yep. Thought it would quit soon- No... Wipers on high, lights on cuz got so dark that other cars couldn't see us. I couldn't see thru windshield and finally realized that wipers were doing fine but rain was on inside of glass. Finally realized that rain wasn't gonna stop so pulled in a church parking lot and son and I took off parade boot and put up top- all in the downpour. All three of up was soaked thru our shirts and car was swamped. Got to our destination and rain continued hard for about 20 min. Drove home with top up but all windows down- still was warm, by time we got home to Harrison car was pretty much dried out but of course trashed and dirty. Ah it was a memory we won't forget...
Old July 4th, 2023, 04:46 AM

Heading norte
Old July 4th, 2023, 04:58 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Argh. Miserable getting caught in a heavy downpour w/ the parade boot on and having to get the top up. No fun.
Jim - Enjoy being lakeside.
Me - Up/Down, Up/Down, paint...paint...paint. Not exactly certain why the Water Softener used repair kit I replaced works but it does & I am so very thankful to have soft water again. Four gallons of Rotella T6 HD Diesel oil arrived yesterday. I may do an oil change if time permits - 15 quarts.
Old July 4th, 2023, 05:21 AM

Greg - Yep, you certainly won't forget this 4th of July, but it sure doesn't sound like fun!

Norm - Obviously you're staying busy, hope you don't have too much left.

No big plans for today. Gonna BBQ a couple nice steaks this afternoon if the rain will stay away, and have a few cold ones. Just taking it easy. Hope ya'll have a great day and stay safe.
Old July 4th, 2023, 10:32 AM

there's a way to use sugar and some other stuff
As confirmed by Norm, the minute I saw this, it took me back to the 5th grade and my volcano project. Went across the state on Saturday to my buddies son's 40th surprise b-day party. His daughter in law sent an invite, so, off I went. Easy, as my buddy asked if i would ride with them, in the one Hyundai that doesn't burn oil, his wife's hybrid Sonata. 42mpg @ 75-80 mph. Speaking of downpours. Went to get my groceries on Sunday, when I exited with my stash, the skies opened up, and I was drenched. Standing under the hatch did no good as I unloaded my groceries into the car. I am one to put my cart into the cart corral, and as I was already soaked, I put my cart there. Got home, pullled inot the garage, and put everything into the house, and then away. The last thing that I grabbed was a can of Sea Foam, which prompted me to ask "where's my five quart jug of oil". Sheeet! left it in the bottom of the shopping cart, probably grabbed by someone. I headed back to the store anyway, into the aisle where I had parked,and lo and behold there it was, just with a few more carts jammed in behind it. Pulled them out of the way, and grabbed my oil, went home and changed into dry clothes. Had an invite to go to my brothers place today. He called and noted that there were 19 people there, as family on his wife's side came from Texas for a week, and her other family members showed up as well. I politely declined My brother then asked if he could come over to my place. Bla ha ha!
Old July 4th, 2023, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately there was a firework fatality in Ottawa county yesterday, someone setting off their own fireworks, and a 43 Y.O. female was killed. A mis directed firework of sorts injured 14 at a professional display in Allegan, about 50 miles south of me. Be careful out there.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 4th, 2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old July 4th, 2023, 11:12 AM
Running On Empty

Dan I always take my cart back to the coral, as well. Damn funny about your oil. I’ve done that with groceries on occasion. Only the stupid people never return their cart.

92% humidity 95F Heat Index = 113F they’re saying. I’m calling it a day. Large sofa w/ A/C in the house awaits.
Old July 4th, 2023, 12:50 PM

Dan I always take my cart back to the coral, as well. Damn funny about your oil. I’ve done that with groceries on occasion. Only the stupid people never return their cart.
x3, and another dumbass thing I've done on more than one occasion is have something on the bottom of the cart and walk out without paying for it without the alarm going off, then having to go back in and pay for it.

Norm, discretion is often the better part of valor. Absolutely no sense in making yourself sick trying to work out in that kind of heat. Take a load off and live to paint another day.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:02 PM

Yeah, the heat is on. My swimming pool is 88 degrees and will continue getting warmer as the summer progresses. I got in this morning but the rest of the day I plan to follow the dogs’ lead and hibernate in the AC.

Old July 4th, 2023, 01:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm, discretion is often the better part of valor. Absolutely no sense in making yourself sick trying to work out in that kind of heat. Take a load off and live to paint another day.
Chris - Agreed. No outdoor grilling steaks in this heat for me. I made a fine 100% United States of America Angus beef cheeseburger, all beef hot dog, Coca-Cola & Cape Cod chips for lunch. Tasted delicious on the 4th of July.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:06 PM

Really weird weather day here today. We've had 4 different pop-up thunderstorms since this morning. Bright sunshine, then really dark clouds, wind picks up, then a heavy downpour for 10 or 15-minute and then the sun comes out again. We need the rain, especially with the fireworks that we'll have all around us tonight.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, the heat is on. My swimming pool is 88 degrees and will continue getting warmer as the summer progresses. I got in this morning but the rest of the day I plan to follow the dogs’ lead and hibernate in the AC.
Kenneth - I know you're no stranger to "oppressive" heat since you're from Louisiana. I'll trade you your dry heat for my humidity.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Really weird weather day here today. We've had 4 different pop-up thunderstorms...
I'll take a dozen, please.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:11 PM

92% humidity 95F Heat Index = 113F they’re saying.
Norm, just curious who is saying that. NWS shows dew point around 75* during max daytime temps.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, just curious who is saying that. NWS shows dew point around 75* during max daytime temps.
NWS, I guess...

Action Recommended

Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions

Issued By

Newport - NC, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area

Most of eastern North Carolina

Description

...HEAT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING... WHAT...Heat index values of 105 to 110 degrees expected. WHERE...Most of eastern North Carolina. WHEN...Until 8 PM EDT this evening. IMPACTS...Hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat illnesses to occur.
Old July 4th, 2023, 01:17 PM

I thought you were in SC?