The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2023, 06:01 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slow start to the day. My wall guy was off screwing around and when I asked him about it he got all mad. Hey, don't want to here it, don't screw around.

Thanks Keith, I'm certainly worth it. I didn't know local honey was so dear. Bet it tastes way different than store honey.

Lunch is being brought in today. Still have no idea what it's gonna be. I don't know why spell checker doesn't think "gonna" is a word. Anyway, we are way behind and the lead will tell us we have to eat and get right back, and we'll take an hour anyway.

Greg I'm on page 199. This is going to take a while. It's Christmas time and it's snowing and everyone is at everyone's throats in Ohio. I actually might not keep this up, it's a little depressing. All these people I so enjoyed interacting with, and few are around anymore. After reading a few posts it gets to feeling like this is current times, and then I realize it isn't. Of course I enjoy interacting with everyone today; when I finally get to page 1287 I wonder who all will still be here. It's gonna be months I'm sure.

Jamesbo did I ever ask you if you've heard of City Chicken Legs? It's like a shiska bob. My grandmother used to get them at Christmas. Maybe it was a Quad Cities thing.

Okay break is over and my wall guy is AWOL. I don't know why this bothers me. I feel like I'm gonna say something $hitty to him and that won't motivate him. I think it's because he's smug. I hate smug. Crap break was over 20 minutes ago. Time to talk to the lead.

Well have a good day everyone.

Old December 5th, 2023, 06:10 AM

MIke Nope
Old December 5th, 2023, 10:02 AM
Always room for one more

Even at this late date I don't always think to look things up on the internet. What I found was chunks of pork on a stick but I don't know if they were deep fried or baked or what. They listed a bunch of states that had them but Georgia wasn't one of them. Supposedly a Polish thing originally. Funny, my family is Irish.

So Sonny's was the fare of the day. Pretty darn good. And we took an hour for lunch and are way behind. My wall guy is being argumentative and I told him to eat fishheads and rice. He just looked at me. We're working through the big wheels and nose wheels are coming up. That will help.

I should have taken my own advice. Right after I told Greg I wasn't going to read the old posts anymore I turned the page and came across my posts of my dogs getting out of the house and running off. We had had a storm and they dug at a window in the french door in the basement and ran away. I didn't see them for over a week. Even though I know how the story ended and those dogs are long gone, I still felt the same as I did back in the day. I had to get up and walk down to the roll up door. So the happy ending was that some people on the other side of the lake had them for most of that time, and I had put a lost and found ad on craigslist and they called me and I went to get them. Jamesbo I think you and Dan are the only ones left who would remember this.

I saw I had left a little of the story out. The woman worked at Petsmart but apparently didn't think to bring home a scanner to check for a chip. The man was not employed and stayed home fixing broken appliances he bought on craigs and then selling them again on craigs. I got them a restaurant gift card and when I took it over to them the man let it slip that they intended on keeping them. The neighbor across the street saw my craigslist ad and talked the woman into calling me. I should have given her the card. I learned that just having a chip is false security. I went out and got them tags that had my name and phone number on them. Still at the mercy of someone deciding to call, but I couldn't not do it. One of those tags is on Tiger's collar now.

I think the wall guy took me to heart. He's nowhere to be found and I got a different wall guy.

Old December 5th, 2023, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I think the wall guy took me to heart. He's nowhere to be found and I got a different wall guy.
Maybe he choked on one of those fish heads and he's gone for good!
Old December 5th, 2023, 12:39 PM

Mike, I sorta half remember the time that your dogs got loose. My friend that retired from U of W Milwuakee, has bee hives. he sent me a mason jar of honey and beeswax lip balm. He makes mead as well....hmmm, didn't get any of that.
Old December 5th, 2023, 12:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
He makes mead as well....hmmm, didn't get any of that.
Bummer
Old December 5th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Oh I spoke too soon. I got a couple wheels from the other guy then my guy came back. Then the lead walked past and said, we have nose wheels that will speed things up. I said, sadly I won't get any. He said why not. I said because my wall guy is slow as hell. He just shrugged. Well golly. If I didn't not care before, I really don't care now because apparently the lead doesn't care. We did finish right at 2 and left a few minutes later.

Old December 5th, 2023, 05:19 PM

Good evening guys
Mid-40's and overcast, with some light sprinkles on and off all day. Settling into the doldrums of Winter, but I don't like it. Since it was on my way to my bank, I dropped the Water/Sewer/Trash payment by City Hall. That was my excitement for the day. I need to find myself a wintertime hobby, maybe whittling, my wife doesn't trust me with her power tools. 🤔

Supposed to be a couple nicer days in the low 60's Thursday and Friday. The 4-4-2 and motorcycles haven't been started in a month now. Planning on getting them all started, and taking a few swings around the neighborhood with each on Thursday since there hasn't been any salt put down yet.

Watching "Where Eagles Dare", seen it before, but not in a long, long time, good flick! Hope ya'll are having a great evening!
Old December 5th, 2023, 05:24 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
LMFAO Jim that is awesome

Old December 5th, 2023, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good evening guys
Mid-40's and overcast, with some light sprinkles on and off all day. Settling into the doldrums of Winter, but I don't like it. Since it was on my way to my bank, I dropped the Water/Sewer/Trash payment by City Hall. That was my excitement for the day. I need to find myself a wintertime hobby, maybe whittling, my wife doesn't trust me with her power tools. 🤔

Supposed to be a couple nicer days in the low 60's Thursday and Friday. The 4-4-2 and motorcycles haven't been started in a month now. Planning on getting them all started, and taking a few swings around the neighborhood with each on Thursday since there hasn't been any salt put down yet.

Watching "Where Eagles Dare", seen it before, but not in a long, long time, good flick! Hope ya'll are having a great evening!
I am taking Friday off and planning to drive 3 old cars.
Old December 5th, 2023, 06:54 PM

Chris, this is for you.

Old December 5th, 2023, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I am taking Friday off and planning to drive 3 old cars.
John - Sounds like we have the same plan while we still can! I'll still get mine out in the driveway every 3 or 4-weeks after they start throwing salt down, but no trips around the subdivision.
Old December 5th, 2023, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, this is for you.

Kenneth - That looks like a damn nice stretch, you certainly deserve it.
Old December 5th, 2023, 07:24 PM
Running On Empty

Ya know Chris. That’s probably the worst thing you can do for your car’s engine.
Old December 5th, 2023, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Ya know Chris. That’s probably the worst thing you can do for your car’s engine.
Norm - When I start the car up every 3 or 4-weeks, I'm not just starting it up and letting it run 5-minutes and pulling it back in the garage. I make sure the car gets up to full operating temperature, and then I run it an extra 5 to 10-minutes running it through a range or rpms. In my opinion this procedure either burns or drives any moisture that may have condensed in the engine, crankcase, and throughout the exhaust system out of the car. Please explain why you think this is a bad procedure.

Edit - Additional Info
There are definitely 2 camps on this question. This info is from a site called Garage Living.

"Occasionally start your car…or not when in storage
One long-running debate concerning winter car storage is whether or not you should start it every few weeks. Those who don’t think this is necessary believe that if you’ve taken the proper steps to store your car properly, there’s no need to run it during the winter.

There seems to be a more widely-held belief, however, that it is a good idea to start your stored car every 3-4 weeks. Those in favor believe this keeps the cylinders lubricated and removes moisture from operating components. If you’re able to move your car (even just back and forth a few feet), this also prevents brakes and clutches from sticking."

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 5th, 2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old December 5th, 2023, 08:32 PM

In my engineering opinion, a car of that vintage varies on the running interval it needs based on whether it has air conditioning and an automatic transmission. The AC needs the refrigerant moved to keep the seals from drying out. The transmission will dump the torque converter's fluid into the pan and leak from the higher level, possibly. If a car is stick and without AC, it does not have that. I have had brake performance loss by not moving a car for two years.

As for the engine, it does help spread the lube, but, like both said, one must run it fully. I personally do not run them in place. I run them as late as I can in the year, and as early as I can the next year. A couple months does not hurt them. For a period of years, I would fog the engine down to shut it down, and spin the oil pump up before starting years later with new oil.
Old December 6th, 2023, 05:14 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Still have my shitty wall guy. I haven't spoken to him. Of course he hasn't been around very much to speak to. I'd be surprised if I got 10 wheels all day.

I have cars that sit for years. Doesn't do them any favors but usually an afternoon of tinkering and they start right up. Now whether or not they are drivable is another story. Sheesh. Not a terrific idea to let them sit.

Beautiful morning out when I left for work. Bright moon and stars, clear skies. Supposed to be a nice day today. Yesterday I took a nap and didn't do anything. Then I went to Mom's and sat in the recliner and didn't do anything. I felt run down, and just wasn't feeling it. I hope I do better today.

Coming up on break. Have you a good day everyone.

Old December 6th, 2023, 05:49 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - There will always be two camps on starting a vehicle vs. not starting a vehicle. Maybe I shouldn't have said it's the worst thing, since the term (worst) sounds/borders on being alarming - I think running it w/o oil would be the worst thing.
I'm not convinced there's any benefit in starting a perfectly fine/working aspirated engine from a cold hibernating state to a fully warmed operating state temperature during irregular periods - that's just me. As soon as you turn off the 200°F engine moisture will form as the result of condensation. Therefore, the notion of burning off any moisture inside of an engine - which includes the carburetor, distributor, rotor, contact points (or IGN modules), etc. - only makes sense to me if you start the engine/vehicle everyday not every 2-3 weeks. As soon as moisture (condensation) develops you're back to square one - e.g. the moment you turn off the engine/vehicle. It most likely takes longer for any of that moisture to evaporate & during the period of evaporation the moisture is contained inside/on any of the mostly metal parts of the engine.

Some argue the oil circulating/bathing the engine provides a benefit. I might agree w/ this but IMO, you'll get far less condensation/moisture if you turn the engine over for one minute (to simply circulate engine oil) rather than 30 minutes since it's far less likely you'll see condensation/moisture develop in the engine if the temperature of the engine was not brought up to 200°F & instead remains nearly the same as the outside ambient temperature.

Eh, we won't solve anything I'm sure, I just don't buy into the notion of finding any benefit in starting the engine.
Old December 6th, 2023, 06:11 AM

Eh, we won't solve anything I'm sure, I just don't buy into the notion of finding any benefit in starting the engine.
Yep, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old December 6th, 2023, 06:14 AM
Running On Empty

Yep, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Agree. Very likely a point which takes far too much time bantering about.
Old December 6th, 2023, 06:58 AM
Running On Empty

Each time I see the term "Demmer" appear I migrate to that conversation to see what type shenanigans appear. It never fails to disappoint.
Old December 6th, 2023, 08:15 AM

Each time I see the term "Demmer" appear I migrate to that conversation to see what type shenanigans appear. It never fails to disappoint.
Norm - A little more info please? Are you referring to the discussion concerning the '69 H/O Dash Plaque # vs. the Demmer #?
Old December 6th, 2023, 08:19 AM

Norm - A little more info please? Are you referring to the discussion concerning the '69 H/O Dash Plaque # vs. the Demmer #?
I think he is. The H/O process, which was fast and temporary, does not lend itself to rigid numbers tracking.
Old December 6th, 2023, 08:53 AM

At the risk of being permanently banned from CO . The H/ O really is not that great. NO one but a crane could use the side mirrors. Rare yes Great No
Old December 6th, 2023, 08:56 AM
Running On Empty

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...outing-176324/
Old December 6th, 2023, 09:23 AM

Thanks Norm!
Old December 6th, 2023, 09:37 AM

I think he is. The H/O process, which was fast and temporary, does not lend itself to rigid numbers tracking.
I agree, and it's understandable from the point of who'd a thunk anyone would give a damn about documentation supporting the legitimacy of some of these cars +50-years down the road.
Old December 6th, 2023, 12:58 PM

I just don't want to be that ****.
Old December 6th, 2023, 12:59 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I just don't want to be that ****.
I'm w/ you, Dan.
Old December 6th, 2023, 01:15 PM

I'm w/ you, Dan.
x2, I don’t have any desire to put more time and $'s into my car to bring it to a Concours level show car. I already get a $hit ton of enjoyment out of it "as is".
Old December 6th, 2023, 01:56 PM

That answer is simple for an engineer, but very few people think like one.

Salient facts:
1. The positive cable, routed over the fender, hits the clutch linkage on a manual transmission car.
2. Not all cars are routed on the valve cover, so there must be a reason why, otherwise they would all be done that way.
3. Rubber melts.
4. Engines are hot.

Considering all these, one reaches the conclusion that there is a reason that some cars are routed over the fender, and a reason other cars are routed on the valve cover. One realizes that all cars would be routed over the fender if possible because it is better for the cable's health. The stick cars have to be over the valve cover, but the automatics could be either, because the stick solution will work, but the original problem does not exist, so both solutions are possible. The automatic only option is obviously superior, because it would not be done at all if it were not. The confusion is that either could be done by a restorer, but, by simple logic and analysis, we see that automatics were correct over the fender.
Old December 6th, 2023, 02:51 PM

That answer is simple for an engineer, but very few people think like one.
Your explanation makes perfect sense!
Old December 7th, 2023, 04:37 AM

28 degrees TOO cold for this cracker
Old December 7th, 2023, 05:35 AM

So my dear friend Donny called me axed me if I wanted a free trailer. One of his sod cutters went TU and didn't need the trailer any more. 800 lb axle weight. Every thing I read about over loaded axles is about hauling on the road
Question do you think I could safety over load at all pulling a tote around a pasture or should I stay at only 800 pounds?
Old December 7th, 2023, 05:42 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Kinda/Sorta depends on the axle size - in particular the length may be important as a longer axle will surely be less sturdy than a shorter axle. You must have somewhere between a 1" diameter & a 1.5" diameter axle I reckon?
  • 1.5-inch diameter axle can carry up to 1,000 pounds
  • 1.75-inch diameter, up to 2,000 pounds
  • 2.375-inch diameter, up to 3,500 pounds
  • 3-inch diameter, up to 6,000 pounds
  • 3.5-inch diameter, up to 8,000 pounds
  • 4-inch diameter, up to 9,000 pounds
  • 5-inch diameter, up to 10,000 pounds
Old December 7th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You have a 100 gallon tote? 8.34lbs/gallon x 100 gallons = 834 pounds. I'm assuming you're going to quickly reduce the total weight as you soon as you begin emptying the tote? I'd travel lightly until you get some weight off the axle, IOW, I wouldn't go bouncing around.
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:06 AM

Norm I have 2 1 is 275 the other 300. Of course I don't have to fill them
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:08 AM
Running On Empty

275 and 300 "what"? I'm assuming you're talking about gallons? Never hurts to provide the important information.
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Gallons
Old December 7th, 2023, 06:12 AM
Running On Empty

At 8.34lbs/gallon (water) I don't believe I would exceed 100 gallons - period.

2,293.5 lbs = 275 gallons (water)
2,502.0 lbs = 300 gallons (water)