The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Chris not long ago I read that the stretch of US30 between Schererville and Merrillville is still original pavement from the 1910's or 20's. It was some experiment they did on few stretches. Seems to me they should have kept doing it. Hope they have a safe trip.

Jamesbo do you think this is a scam to kidnap people? If it is he's got at least one with the scheme.

So it's after lunch and I have 24 wheels. That's pretty good. Everyone has been working hard and smoothly this morning. Could be because the lead has been hanging out up here with us all morning. It shouldn't be a stretch for him to see these people are slackers when he's not around. Yesterday the lead stayed away all day, and at the last 10 minutes came up and everyone started to hustle. We ended 4 short. The lead said, if you would work as hard as you do in the last ten minutes, all day, we'd finish with ease.

Gonna try to work on the bedroom at Mom's after work. Years ago my girl chewed her way from the dog room into the next bedroom, not once but twice. The dog room is slam packed with stuff and the other bedroom sucks and I'm the only one who's ever slept in there since I've been there, so I never put a lot of thought into fixing it. Now I want it to look nice so I'm fixing the holes. Nice. I've chosen a color that isn't going to come out the way I thought it would. It's some awful lavender and I'm going to go ahead and paint, because I don't want to have this stuff sitting around forever not getting used. Makes sense, doesn't it?

The info bar on my computer says it's sunny and 51. Not bad. I need to find some cardboard or something I can prop up on my windshield over night so the glass doesn't frost and I don't have to scrape.

Okay Happy Tuesday.

Old December 12th, 2023, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris not long ago I read that the stretch of US30 between Schererville and Merrillville is still original pavement from the 1910's or 20's. It was some experiment they did on few stretches. Seems to me they should have kept doing it. Hope they have a safe trip.
Mike - That's an interesting tidbit of history. Thanks for the well wishes on their trip. Good luck with the maintenance/painting at the house. Hope you are able to get alot done, unfortunately there's not much light to work with when you can't start until you're home from work. That sucks!
Old December 12th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Hi guys,

Gonna brag on my girls a bit. I spoke earlier today about my youngest daughter's accomplishments in track and field. Had to hunt up these pics of some of her medals. At the AAU National Meets the Top 5 make the podium and receive medals. In the photo, the bright copper color is a 4th or 5th place. The bronze colored medals are a 3rd place. In total she earned 8 medals at National level Outdoor or Indoor Meets. Three 3rd places, three 4th places, and two 5th places. Much more of an accomplishment than her Dad ever achieved!

My oldest daughter was a great athlete in her own right. She was an accomplished gymnast and 4-year cheerleader and 2-year Captain of the St. Louis University Basketball Cheerleading Squad. She was what Cheerleading squads call "The Flyer", the person at the very top of high pyramids, and the person they toss way up in the air. At 4' 10", and 90lbs., she was absolutely fearless. Not the greatest quality, but here are a couple of my favorite pics of her doing her thing.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 12th, 2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old December 12th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Always room for one more

Pretty girl. Wasn't she the one that the high school invited back after graduation to give an award?

We finished early and got out a few minutes past 2. While we did a good job today, the people who usually sit down should be embarrassed that it takes the lead to babysit all day to do a good job. We're all supposed to be professionals after all.

My neighbor the hot rodder and his brother and dad came over to retrieve the Vista Cruiser station wagon. For reasons unknown to me the brother wanted the wagon. And I told him everything that was wrong with it and he still wanted it. So I said he could have it. Well, he said he had to give me something, so he's going to pick up the Chevy after Christmas some time and do some front end work. The bushings need changing for one and I don't know what else. So I said knock yourself out.

Old December 12th, 2023, 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1540939]
Pretty girl. Wasn't she the one that the high school invited back after graduation to give an award?
[QUOTE]

Thanks Mike. I think you might be confusing her with someone else? I can't recall her ever doing anything like that? As I've said before, both my daughters are nurses, but this one is the head nurse on a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, where unfortunately many patients do not make it. It takes a special kind of person to work with both patients, and their families, day in and day out under those circumstances. Needless to say, I'm very proud of her and what she does!
Old December 12th, 2023, 05:42 PM

Flying cheerleaders are little. I worked with one. We were talking on a skillet line, and I had an idea and stepped off the deck, 400 mm, to the floor. Her 5'1" was then directly in line with my 6'4" self and we could talk eye to eye. She thought it was hilarious but I think she appreciated it.
Old December 12th, 2023, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Flying cheerleaders are little. I worked with one. We were talking on a skillet line, and I had an idea and stepped off the deck, 400 mm, to the floor. Her 5'1" was then directly in line with my 6'4" self and we could talk eye to eye. She thought it was hilarious but I think she appreciated it.
That is hilarious, too bad someone couldn't have snapped a pic for you guys, that would have been a real keeper.
Old December 13th, 2023, 03:33 AM

Chris congratulations pretty and talented
Old December 13th, 2023, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris congratulations pretty and talented
Thanks Jim, I'm certainly blessed with both of them!
Old December 13th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Chris that sticks in my head. Someone's daughter excelled in high school sports, was a graduating senior, then the next year the school asked of she'd come back and make a speech/give out some award to some girls' sport. I thought it was you telling us that.

Just finished a nice meal from Sonny's. This time it was turkey. Last time it was barbeque. Still good.

The lead is spending about half his time here amongst the working. Yesterday he was here all day long. Things are still going pretty smooth, because the guys know he'll be back.

John what's a skillet line? Or was this the time you were working at T-Fal?

Gonna hit the library after work. I'm gonna see if I can start up a new, fresh facebook account without the computer linking it to my other one(s). Then I can delete all the others and have a new one I can contact people with. This no marketplace bit is getting a little old. Heaven help if a Valiant pops up.

Probably 40 more wheels to go. We should finish up by the skin of our noses.

Old December 13th, 2023, 09:44 AM

Hi everyone.

Chris that sticks in my head. Someone's daughter excelled in high school sports, was a graduating senior, then the next year the school asked of she'd come back and make a speech/give out some award to some girls' sport. I thought it was you telling us that.
Mike - Sorry Mike, it wasn't my daughter, I'd surely remember her doing something like that, but it wasn't her. If you are continuing reading thru TNGMT!, maybe you'll come across who it was?
Old December 13th, 2023, 10:33 AM

Mike, a skillet line is a slang term for a type of conveyor. Imagine a flatbed train car, with supports in the middle to hold a car up. That thing we call a skillet, because it's flat, and they butt and hook together to make a strip. They are pushed by a motor on one end, and pulled by a motor on the other end and make a moving line. We have platform on either side of them that is the same height, so it looks like just the floor is moving as they go by. Once the skillet gets to the end of the line, the car is lifter off, it gets unhooked from the next skillet, and is pulled around in a U turn to go back on the other side of the loop, where it will get a car, go down the first line, do a U turn with the car, and come back to the unload point. This is cheap and modern and flexible.

Most of our lines are overhead carrier (you've seen them in historical GM pictures), or slat line (which is like a people mover at an airport.) Skillets are only 15 years old or so.
Old December 13th, 2023, 01:15 PM

this one is the head nurse on a Bone Marrow Transplant Unit
Something to be very proud of. I respect and appreciate those in this line of work. Hope that I never need their services.
Old December 13th, 2023, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Something to be very proud of. I respect and appreciate those in this line of work. Hope that I never need their services.
Thanks Dan, I'll definitely let her know you said that! I know I could not work in that environment day in and day out without depression setting in.
Old December 13th, 2023, 05:28 PM

Pretty proud of myself. Made it through two Thanksgivings and still hanging right at my goal weight of 165 lbs. Now I'm hoping I can make it through Christmas and New Years with the same results.
Old December 14th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

After the morning meeting the lead had to see all the mechanics at his desk. He said we aren't doing our full job by not inspecting the final wheel assembly. He said we weren't getting up and looking at the wheel, and we weren't verifying the bearing part numbers. Hm. No one is exempt.

Spent an hour yesterday at the library trying to straighten out my facebook. Now, I'm not interested in facebook so I can see how many cups of coffee someone drinks, I want it to be able to look at marketplace. But I needed to sign up from a computer I had never been on before. Well, I also had to create a new email account. Got that all set up, sent a couple friend requests then texted those people so they knew it was me, and looked at fb and marketplace all evening. This morning I immediately was cut off from marketplace because I had violated some community rule. WTF. I haven't even been on a day. The facebook part still works, so anyone who wants to be friends with an alternate of me look me up I'm now Mickey Alpha. Probably 200 pages of them.

Got a couple chores to do after work so no work on the bedroom at Mom's. Eh, as long as she sees I'm doing something in there she doesn't complain. But when she thinks I'm taking too long then the passive aggressive comes out.

Okay almost lunch. It might start early. Have a good day everyone.

Old December 14th, 2023, 08:01 AM

Good morning everyone.
Got that all set up, sent a couple friend requests then texted those people so they knew it was me, and looked at fb and marketplace all evening. This morning I immediately was cut off from marketplace because I had violated some community rule. WTF. I haven't even been on a day.
Mike - I don't have a FB account, but my wife does and she does 95% of the buying/selling for her furniture refinishing thru Marketplace. They've shut her down more than once for one violation or another, but she's always been able to get reinstated fairly quickly, but certainly a PIA. The whole thing seems overly complex to me, but that's probably just because I'm on the outside looking in, and really have no idea about the rules and parameters that it operates under? Good luck getting your Marketplace reinstated!
Old December 14th, 2023, 08:23 AM

Do any of you guys agonize about making large financial decisions? I do!

With the Stock Market hitting a record high yesterday, and correspondingly my largest Mutual Fund reaching a record high, I liquidated it this morning, and moved it into a Money Market Account that's making 5% right now. My thinking is the upcoming election year is going to be filled with a $hit ton of chaos, and who knows what the hell is going to happen with the Market, but for now I wanted more security and was willing to sacrifice any potential additional gains. My financial advisor agreed with my thinking. Only time will tell how sound my decision was, but at least the funds are safe from loss and will still be earning some decent interest.

My wife's no help with financial matters. Although I always explain to her what I'm thinking of doing, her answer is always, "You're the financial brain, whatever you think is best, I'm good with." Man-oh-man did I agonize about doing this, I tossed and turned all night.
Old December 14th, 2023, 09:18 AM
Running On Empty

I've never had a Money Market Account. I try to mirror my stocks to those stocks owned/invested by Vanguard Group, Inc., Capital World Investors & BlackRock, Inc. BlackRock is either largest or one of largest shareholders in the behemoths of American banking industry namely. JP Morgan Chase, BOC & Wells Fargo. Managing investments is always fraught w/ anxiety.
Old December 14th, 2023, 09:24 AM

Mike I have a facebook acct just for marketplace use. I don't ask for or accept any friends, basically don't even look at anything except stuff for sale. I have told all my friends--(as in REAL friends---) that I won't be their friend on facebook.
Old December 14th, 2023, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I've never had a Money Market Account. I try to mirror my stocks to those stocks owned/invested by Vanguard Group, Inc., Capital World Investors & BlackRock, Inc. BlackRock is either largest or one of largest shareholders in the behemoths of American banking industry namely. JP Morgan Chase, BOC & Wells Fargo. Managing investments is always fraught w/ anxiety.
Norm - I have never traded in individual stocks. My experience with the Stock Market has been limited to owning one or more moderate risk Mutual Funds through Raymond James. My Mom had her investments managed by them for years and they did well for her. I started using them when I settled my Mom's estate, and they have done a good job for me too.
Old December 14th, 2023, 03:19 PM

Youngest daughter and her family are headed to Merrillville, IN tomorrow for Gabe's hockey tournament. He has 2 games tomorrow, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Then 3 games on Saturday, and then at least one on Sunday, and possibly a second if they win Sunday morning. They are leaving very early tomorrow morning and have tickets to get into Shedd Aquarium at 0900. Gabe's 1st game tomorrow isn't until 3pm so they should have plenty of time to tour the Aquarium. Dawn and I tried to see the Aquarium several years ago when we went to Chicago for a Cardinals/Cubs weekend series. We had baseball tickets for Saturday and Sunday and had a great time. It was a bucket list item for me to finally get to see a game at Wrigley Field, and I loved every minute of it. When we took time to go to the Aquarium we had not purchased tickets in advance and there was a 2-hour wait to get in, so we passed. While we were there we did go to the Natural History Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry which were great. When we were at the Natural History Museum I made a point of finding "The Lions of Tsavo" exhibit. The exhibit features the actual preserved man killing Lions whose story was told in the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness". If you've never seen this movie, I highly recommend it, it's one of my favorites of all time!
Old December 14th, 2023, 03:40 PM
Always room for one more

Greg how can you look at marketplace and not do anything on facebook? That is a problem I keep running across. They said you have to participate on facebook because you aren't allowed to use marketplace without it.

Chris all those places are excellent places to be. Spent plenty of time in all of them as a kid on school field trips. Hope they have a safe trip home.

Work went all right all day and we got out a few minutes early. Then coming home I was behind every idiot. It's a good thing the horn in the truck doesn't work. Well, it just means I flip them off.

Old December 14th, 2023, 03:54 PM

[quote=Dream67Olds442;1541362 When we were at the Natural History Museum I made a point of finding "The Lions of Tsavo" exhibit. The exhibit features the actual preserved man killing Lions whose story was told in the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness". If you've never seen this movie, I highly recommend it, it's one of my favorites of all time![/quote]

Kinda wish the Lions Won ( Not Detroit)

The exploitation and genocide of indigenous species man included over the decades makes me sick to my stomach.
The problem is not them in my opinion it is the "Powers to Be" trying to change them and not live in some type of harmony with all.

Last edited by otto72; December 14th, 2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old December 14th, 2023, 04:01 PM

Chris all those places are excellent places to be. Spent plenty of time in all of them as a kid on school field trips. Hope they have a safe trip home.
Mike - Agree 100%. A gentleman (confirmed bachelor) that lived across the street from us when I was a young kid was a conductor for Grand Trunk Railroad. Several times he gave my parents free tickets for our entire family to take the train from Battle Creek to Chicago. When we'd go in the summertime we would hit the Museums, and in the winter my Mom would get to Christmas shop at Marshall Fields and the other stores downtown. I have many great memories of those trips. Just the train rides by themselves were a blast for a young boy!
Old December 14th, 2023, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Kinda wish the Lions Won ( Not Detroit)

The exploitation and genocide of indigenous species man included over the decades makes me sick to my stomach.
The problem is not them in my opinion it is the "Powers to Be" trying to change them and not live in some type of harmony with all.

https://youtu.be/RSZX5jYf4AA
Keith - Don't disagree with you in the least about the exploitation and atrocities committed by the British, French, and Germans on the macro scale during their efforts to colonize Africa.
Old December 14th, 2023, 04:27 PM
Running On Empty

As the African forests began to recede & our tree-dwelling ancestors began taking up a more permanent residence on the savannas/grasslands (ground), they (we) became a fine snack for lions. I wish we could introduce lions into some of our big cities. Be a nice way to cull out the less desirable - negative euthanasia. Modern humans are complete unadulterated pieces of garbage.
Old December 14th, 2023, 04:47 PM

I wish we could introduce lions into some of our big cities. Be a nice way to cull out the less desirable - negative euthanasia. Modern humans are complete unadulterated pieces of garbage.
Reminds me of the plot to the movie "Wolfen".
Old December 14th, 2023, 04:56 PM

As the African forests began to recede & our tree-dwelling ancestors began taking up a more permanent residence on the savannas/grasslands (ground), they (we) became a fine snack for lions. I wish we could introduce lions into some of our big cities. Be a nice way to cull out the less desirable - negative euthanasia. Modern humans are complete unadulterated pieces of garbage.
I think the the Lions felt the inevitable changes taking place for the livelihood of their families took instinctive action. After all they are the top of the food chain when it comes to cunning and fight, man just happened upon gunpowder.... ironic in our demise as fighting fair goes. I'll digress or this shizzy will get shut down...
Old December 14th, 2023, 05:09 PM

Monty felt my wife was not giving her maximun effort during her workout last night and decided she needed more resistance! 🤣
Old December 14th, 2023, 05:10 PM
Running On Empty

The single most contemptuous piece of lunacy is when humankind began to fancy themselves as being distinct from animals. Humans and animals. You have to wonder WTF they even teach in schools?
Old December 14th, 2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Reminds me of the plot to the movie "Wolfen".

Old December 14th, 2023, 05:39 PM

I think we are in a period similar to the Weimar Republic between the world wars in Germany, with excess, and low morality, and a general tolerance and even support of sin and hedonism and the perversion of western culture. Just as the beginnings of the the third reich, I expect to soon see the American equivalent to the freikorps as fascism inevitably becomes popular again. In this example, groups of somewhat armed young men will terrorize the undesirable into leaving town. I expect this in the next presidential term.

The above is not political, rather, it is historical analysis of politics and how it may happen again. I posit no opinion for or against the above scenarios. I've found these disclaimers necessary when a lesser brain can't tell the difference between a political discussion and a discussion about a historical political event.

I had two dental appointments today. I had an initial exam scheduled, and took it. They had a person cancel, so I had an appointment later on for a cleaning. My teeth are fine, but have not been cleaned in a few years. So, the plaque buildup was immense. The hygienist did a gross scaling, and took off all she could. Teeth and gums feel much better. I have a two slot appointment in a month for a big cleaning. It may only take one slot. This will get me back on schedule. Although this dentist's kid still has no cavities, ever, the teeth and gums were getting scummy. I had to establish with a dentist up here; previously I went to my dad at home, then the guy he sent his patients to. Didn't work well, so now I have a dentist 2 miles from my home.
Old December 14th, 2023, 06:02 PM
Running On Empty

Golf tomorrow & Saturday @ High Noon.
Old December 14th, 2023, 06:19 PM

Golf tomorrow & Saturday @ High Noon.
Enjoy the time on the green stuff smakin whitey

Could not help but think of this treasure when I read your post.

Old December 14th, 2023, 07:23 PM
Running On Empty

Keith!
I didn’t write it that way by accident, I was thinking of High Noon when I wrote it but never expected anyone would comment. One of the best Westerns ever produced w/ a phenomenal star studded cast. Love that movie.
Old December 15th, 2023, 03:14 AM

--Mike, I said I would never go on FB at all- didn't interest me- until people around me started to buy used stuff on marketplace. So I started a account and checked it out, put in a profile pic and everything. Soon people asked me to be their friend and I accepted them. So every time I went on I was hearing way too personal things posted (psychological- drama- etc) about relatives, etc- stuff I didn't want to know about... So I ended it. I went completely off. Later I wanted to sell a snowmobile so I opened it back up. This time I ignored everything except for my ad and market place. I was amazed how fast the item sold and I had people just about fighting over it, It was gone for cash in a day. Since then I have sold 3 or 4 more items and bought some stuff too. I have a icon on my laptop that says FB Marketplace. It goes right to marketplace and I can search for stuff for sale. etc. There is a home that I can press to go to regular FB, but I usually don't go there. There are 4 buttons that are on the top right, They have flags on them when someone wants to be my friend- I just ignore it.
-- How is everybody doin'? We have no snow now about 40 yesterday, sposta get colder again. Snowmobiles are ready to go.
Old December 15th, 2023, 04:03 AM

Heading norte
Old December 15th, 2023, 04:32 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Heading norte
Diviértete
Old December 15th, 2023, 06:17 AM

Then coming home I was behind every idiot
Yeah, it’s that time of year here as well. Snow birds added to the regular idiots makes for a mess. Gotta be extra alert and not underestimate the stupidity of the (below) average driver.