The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Thanks Jim!
Old December 9th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Did not spank the dimpled ball very well, today. Played w/ two very nice gentlemen in gorgeous weather.
Old December 9th, 2023, 03:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Went to see a Corvair today. It was a bust. Drove over an hour and the guy wasn't even home. He wouldn't give me his phone number, just said if it isn't raining come on up I'll be here. Well, he wasn't there. The car was sitting right out front, so I had a look. It was decent, but not even close to what the guy wanted. And it was the wrong build date so we left. My assistant and I. Eh, I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gone.

Was rainy when I woke up this morning but then the sun came out. Didn't stay long, and it was cloudy and misty the whole way up and back.

Rain tomorrow. Walmart tomorrow. What other pestilence can we come up with?

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old December 10th, 2023, 05:56 AM

Yeah Mike, I found when responding to something for sale on FB Marketplace that people would give their address but not phone #. I wanted to ask more about the truck or whatever to make sure I wanted to make the trip. Later a friend who uses FB a lot said never give your # out as someone will get it and go in your phone and get your bank info!! What a world we live in.....
Old December 10th, 2023, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
someone will get it and go in your phone and get your bank info!! What a world we live in.....
Only if you have banking info on your phone. I do not have any financial information on my phone for a reason. It may be convenient, but I don’t think it is worth the risk.

Last edited by Fun71; December 10th, 2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old December 10th, 2023, 09:46 AM

It is impossible for that to happen. The reason people don't give out their phone number is it can be sold to spam lists for telemarketing, and also used as legit numbers to make fake social media accounts.

There is no way for someone to "get into" your phone via its phone number. This would be like me walking up to your computer and accessing its files by speaking to it, when it is off. The only way someone could "get into" your phone via text is if they sent you a link and you clicked and installed remote access software on it for someone else to use.

A phone can certainly have hidden software on it to access files, keystrokes, and use the camera and microphone, and a lot of that can come from the manufacturer or government agencies, but that has to be installed by hand via a download. Some can be auto-pushed by the manufacturer via their update sites.

It is certainly right and prudent to be scared of what your phone can see, do, and relay to others, but the idea that it is a group of 20-somethings trying to steal money is incorrect; it's large corporations trying to tailor marketing to you, and government using it as part of the surveillance state to detect any opposition before it gets organized.
Old December 10th, 2023, 10:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rainy and gloomy. Hope not for long, it's supposed to be nice this week. Kinda sucks the whole weekend is rainy.

So Walmart is done. I've decided it isn't the going and shopping that I despise it's going with Mom. I like to go in and get out. I was done within 10 minutes. Mom gets one of those little carts and takes her sweet time. She's used to going and spending two hours. My head would explode. As much as I'd hate to go twice in a week I may have to do my shopping by myself and take Mom another day and then sit in the car snoozing. I think I've said that before.

I never do any banking on my phone, either. I gave the person my phone number yesterday but he never called. I don't care if people call me as spam, I don't answer them anyway. I doubt this fellow is going to sell my number to anyone.

Well I'll spend the afternoon getting ready for the week and cleaning up around the house a little. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old December 10th, 2023, 10:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
So Walmart is done. I've decided it isn't the going and shopping that I despise it's going with Mom. I like to go in and get out. I was done within 10 minutes. Mom gets one of those little carts and takes her sweet time. She's used to going and spending two hours. My head would explode. As much as I'd hate to go twice in a week I may have to do my shopping by myself and take Mom another day and then sit in the car snoozing. I think I've said that before.
Yes, you have said something similar before. You are aware females (Mom's) signed a contract with the devil at an early age stating they will spend as much time as they damn well please in any store. It would be nice to determine if this trait is carried by the XX sex chromosome (if so, maybe we can delete it); or, if it's an environmental (learned) trait/characteristic/condition we could apply some type of operant conditioning to remove this condition - similar to the classical (operant) conditioning employed in Clockwork Orange.

Old December 10th, 2023, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
;it's large corporations trying to tailor marketing to you, and government using it as part of the surveillance state to detect any opposition before it gets organized.
That reminded me of a movie scene (Jack Ryan maybe?) where a CIA agent in a foreign land said “cel phones are tracking devices that also happen to make phone calls.”
Old December 10th, 2023, 12:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That reminded me of a movie scene (Jack Ryan maybe?) where a CIA agent in a foreign land said “cel phones are tracking devices that also happen to make phone calls.”
Oh, I like that, very true.
Old December 10th, 2023, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Yes, you have said something similar before. You are aware females (Mom's) signed a contract with the devil at an early age stating they will spend as much time as they damn well please in any store.
Love my wife, but Agree x10!!!
Old December 10th, 2023, 12:41 PM

Reminds me of when I was a kid my Mom dragged me along with her saying she was going to Sears and one other store along the way. I pointed out to her that the last time we were gone for hours. She insisted it was only Sears and that one other store.

We were gone for 5 hours.
Old December 10th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Always room for one more

Got a good laugh out of that one Kenneth. That's how it was with Mom on the rare occasions we went along. We'd always ask to go to the store and she'd say no. Now I understand why. Too many kids running around and getting in the way.

So I checked Mom's phone. I can't see contact info on my phone for marketplace, so I used Mom's. In my last email to the Corvair guy I said I was using someone else's phone and would not have access to our conversation any longer, so here's my number call me. So anyway he had emailed through facebook right after I left, hey where you at did you just leave my house? Dumbass. I was there 20 minutes, why didn't he come out? That car will probably end up being towed off to the recycler. It's a decent car, but he doesn't have the first clue about selling it.

Old December 10th, 2023, 02:46 PM

I'm not much on using phone for other than calls and texts and directions. I've got a question for you guys. I do look at my bank accounts and pay bills to charge cards on laptop. so.. can my lap top be "gotten into" to get my bank and credit card info? I can also get my email messages on phone so can my info also be "gotten" on my phone? I really don't understand this stuff.....
Old December 10th, 2023, 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - How about you come and get your cow, please.

Old December 10th, 2023, 05:51 PM
Running On Empty

Under a tornado watch for the next several hours as this Nor'easter migrates up the Eastern coast.
Old December 10th, 2023, 06:30 PM

Start paddling, I hear banjos.
Old December 10th, 2023, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

John - You finish your meatloaf? Evidently, I was inspired because I made a big fat meatloaf this afternoon.
Old December 10th, 2023, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - You finish your meatloaf? Evidently, I was inspired because I made a big fat meatloaf this afternoon.
Yes, both loaves were eaten.
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:42 AM

Mike I Was going to complete a FB Transaction Yesterday an the MF er ghosted an wont give me an address or phone number.Why in the wild wild world of sports would he go to the trouble to take extra pics and set up a pickup time and then leave me with crickets
Old December 11th, 2023, 03:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Jamesbo some people don't have anything better to do than to screw with people. I don't get it. Even on craigslist where it costs 5 bucks now to list something, people will not respond and the ad lingers for weeks.

Start time this morning for us is 6. That's our punishment for not doing well on Friday. But the rest of the shop came in. I tell you, pissy is not a good look for the lead. No one is going to care and if I were a betting man, I'd say the anchor gets thrown out today.

Cold as a mother this morning. Only gonna be 48 this afternoon. It seems early. I hope this doesn't foreshadow things to come.

Okay have a good morning everyone Happy Monday.

Old December 11th, 2023, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike I Was going to complete a FB Transaction Yesterday an the MF er ghosted an wont give me an address or phone number.Why in the wild wild world of sports would he go to the trouble to take extra pics and set up a pickup time and then leave me with crickets
Jim - I wouldn't doubt in the least that the MF'er got a better offer after accepting your's, and then ghosted you. Just when I think I've seen it all regarding my wife's furniture transactions, some SOB tries to pull some shenanigans trying to get a better deal. There is no limit to the amount of BS people will try to pull these days.
Old December 11th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I'm not much on using phone for other than calls and texts and directions. I've got a question for you guys. I do look at my bank accounts and pay bills to charge cards on laptop. so.. can my lap top be "gotten into" to get my bank and credit card info? I can also get my email messages on phone so can my info also be "gotten" on my phone? I really don't understand this stuff.....
Analogies are suspect, but let's try this. Imagine you have a firetruck, and you drive it around. It has lots of compartments with stuff in it, and they are all locked with various keys that you have. You drive this truck around, and it's always with you. You carry all the keys, and you keep a spare set of keys, to everything, in the cab.

The firetruck is your phone, and the various cabinets are the things phones can do, each with their own key. Normally, these cabinets are locked. You have a master keyring, that's you holding the unlocked phone.

If someone knows which firetruck is yours, they can't do much with it. This is someone having your phone number or email address. They can come yell at your truck, but they can't get into any compartment because they're locked.

But, one day, you click on a bad link in an email or a text, or you go to a bad website, and click on something, and malware or a virus or spyware is installed. This is like leaving a key in one of the cabinets on the truck, and someone comes and takes that key. Now, the bad software can get into just that cabinet, maybe some others, and mess around. This is because you left a key in the lock by clicking on something bad.

Even worse, let's say, one day, you left the phone on the table at a party, unlocked, and went to the bathroom. Someone could grab it and have complete control of the phone for a while, and look at whatever he wants, because he is holding it. This is the equivalent of getting into the cab and getting your spare set of keys to everything.

But, long story short, unless you click on a link in an email or text, or give someone your phone, you will be fine, even if people know your phone number or email. Here are some tips:

1. Don't click on any links in any emails unless you personally know the sender, like a friend, and the destination makes sense. A lot of times, a link will say "google.com" in the text, but be "AssyranianHackersRUs.com" in the actual link. If it's a corporate email, it is better to go to the website manually, via a typed in address, than clicking a link.
2. If you did not expect the email, and it WANTS something, do not do it. Many emails look like a legitimate site with which you do business, but will direct you to a cloned site of the Assyranians to try to get you to log in to their cloned site and give them your info. Always go manually.
3. Do not go to bad places on the internet. **** and Pirating are the main ones.
4. Keep your phone with at least some sort of lock on it. Pattern, fingerprint, code, something better than swipe.
5. Don't leave your phone.
6. Don't use unsecured guest wifi anywhere without a VPN. If you don't know what a VPN is, don't use the wifi.
Old December 11th, 2023, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim - I wouldn't doubt in the least that the MF'er got a better offer after accepting your's, and then ghosted you. Just when I think I've seen it all regarding my wife's furniture transactions, some SOB tries to pull some shenanigans trying to get a better deal. There is no limit to the amount of BS people will try to pull these days.
WELL I Hope he enjoys the extra 20 bucks
Old December 11th, 2023, 11:16 AM

WELL I Hope he enjoys the extra 20 bucks
Jim - Did you use PayPal or Venmo to give the SOB a deposit? If you did you may be able to file a dispute and get your money back?
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:22 PM

Jim - Did you use PayPal or Venmo to give the SOB a deposit? If you did you may be able to file a dispute and get your money back?
NO I didn't. HE Agreed on 20 bucks under his axing price
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Thanks, John, that makes sense.
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:39 PM

NO I didn't. HE Agreed on 20 bucks under his axing price
Jim - I'm sorry, sometimes I'm a little dense. I'm still not understanding how he got the $20 from you?
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'm sorry, sometimes I'm a little dense. I'm still not understanding how he got the $20 from you?
I haven't figured out how he got $20, as well.
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:46 PM

it wasn’t 20 from Jim, but from the “new” buyer.
Old December 11th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
it wasn’t 20 from Jim, but from the “new” buyer.
Still not following. I'm feeling more like Ian Anderson every minute. What new buyer?
Old December 11th, 2023, 02:04 PM

HE Got another 20 by not selling to me. HE discounted the item 20 bucks to me then sold to someone else for full list I'm guessing
Old December 11th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Why in the wild wild world of sports would he go to the trouble to take extra pics and set up a pickup time and then leave me with crickets
Because his wife told him to sell the car and he is retaliating.
Old December 11th, 2023, 04:28 PM

HE Got another 20 by not selling to me. HE discounted the item 20 bucks to me then sold to someone else for full list I'm guessing
Like I said before, there is a limitless supply of BS in this world today, and truly honorable men are few and far between. I was never much of a Sunday School scholar, but there was one verse that always stuck with me, "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 11th, 2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old December 12th, 2023, 05:01 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Don't you have some acreage in alfalfa, clover or whatever you cut & rake I seem to recall?
Old December 12th, 2023, 06:09 AM

only fescue and its done done
Old December 12th, 2023, 06:10 AM
Running On Empty

only fescue and its done done
Cool
Old December 12th, 2023, 08:00 AM

Good morning guys,

Beautiful morning for December, sunny and 40° at 0900, headed towards a high around 50°. Pretty much a carbon copy forecasted for the whole week. I'd love to have an entire Winter of this if we could get it.

Since I am very close, I have been tapped to take care of the family animals this weekend while my Grandson Gabe and family take him to a hockey tournament in Merrillville, IN, which is a short distance SE of Chicago. I'll have to feed/water the dogs, feed fish, and take care of Gabe's new Bearded Dragon (lizard). The trip to Merrillville should bring back some fond memories for my daughter because we (her and I) would end up making a trip up there every winter where she would compete in the Jr. AAU Track and Field Indoor National Championship. She would compete in the open high jump and 60m hurdles, and the separate Pentathlon which consisted of the high jump, long jump, shot put, 60m hurdles, and 800m run.

Not much else going on around here. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:15 AM

Saga pp 2/3 The dude put the trailer back up for sale and The super model contacted him he gave her his address and settled for the $100 bucks as opposed to the $120 he was axing . The map shows he lives deep in a trailer park in a bad section of town.IF IT walks like a duck and quacks like a duck NO THANKS. NOW he can wait on me not to show up
Old December 12th, 2023, 09:20 AM

Saga pp 2/3 The dude put the trailer back up for sale and The super model contacted him he gave her his address and settled for the $100 bucks as opposed to the $120 he was axing . The map shows he lives deep in a trailer park in a bad section of town.IF IT walks like a duck and quacks like a duck NO THANKS. NOW he can wait on me not to show up
Gotta love it! Serves the bastard right. 👍