The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Running On Empty

Chris & Dan - Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.
James - Boat house looking nice. A storage room is an excellent idea.
Greg - I think I recall you installed a new heater in your barn/shed - was that last fall & about the same time you installed the second story space? Do you have insulation in the floor boards of the second story? Did you get your staircase(s) finished with hand rail(s)?
Kenneth - IMO, the best time to reside in AZ is winter so your better months are approaching.
Otto - Where do you live - around Wausau? Point beer is one of my all time favorite WI beers.
Mike - You like living on the edge don't you? Waffle House followed by WalMart.
I generally run ~1/3 cup of pure lye down my kitchen drains every couple weeks to keep things moving. Last night I dumped the remainder of ~1/3 cup lye down the RH kitchen sink drain then ran the dishwasher before retiring for a movie on the davenport (I like that word because my Mom's family - all farmers - used to call their sofas davenports). About midway through the movie I ventured into the kitchen for something & it was then I noticed the RH kitchen sink was ~1/3 full of water - say what? Long story short - the RH drain was now clogged. OK, no biggie - I'll deal w/ it in the morning. This morning I take the drain network apart. Low & behold the right drain had a clump of lye stuck in the horizontal feed into the central drain. I was amazed. Evidently I didn't run enough water in the RH drain when adding the lye and it immediately clumped together. I find it fascinating because lye generally reacts rapidly with water. Anyways, I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting on the kitchen floor disassembling and reassembling the labyrinth for ~1 hour. All good.
Really spanking it nicely playing pasture pool. I'm close to remaining a consistent 70s golfer. Wind speeds today were 25mph - 30mph gusting to 40mph - it was brutal.
Old September 20th, 2020, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Really spanking it nicely playing pasture pool. I'm close to remaining a consistent 70s golfer. Wind speeds today were 25mph - 30mph gusting to 40mph - it was brutal.
Norm - If you're getting close to a 7 or 8 handicap or even lower, that's amazing! Even when I played a lot, and played in a league every week, the lowest I ever got my handicap down to was 12. You got game!
Old September 20th, 2020, 02:39 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I've shortened my back swing to stop me from going over the top. This has immensely increased my accuracy and consistency. Now my arms are much closer & remain much closer to my torso. This improvement alone has not been something which occurred overnight - it's taken me a good 3-4 weeks to improve the plain of my golf swing but what awesome results. I have one fault which I have to work on. Unlike many golfers my age, most don't have good body/torso rotation, I can rotate my torso/body fully & consistently rotate my left shoulder past my chin during my back swing. My fault is this: I tend to slide through the swing instead of remaining still. I have to deliberately remind myself to stop sliding into the swing. That's one of the reasons I take several practice swings before addressing the ball - even then I get annoyed when I realize I slid into the swing again. Argh. When I'm not sliding into the downswing I'm literally crushing this thing now. I think it's referred to as the pivot point. The point at which your left hip raises instead of sliding.
Old September 20th, 2020, 02:58 PM

Chris - I've shortened my back swing to stop me from going over the top. This has immensely increased my accuracy and consistency. Now my arms are much closer & remain much closer to my torso. This improvement alone has not been something which occurred overnight - it's taken me a good 3-4 weeks to improve the plain of my golf swing but what awesome results. I have one fault which I have to work on. Unlike many golfers my age, most don't have good body/torso rotation, I can rotate my torso/body fully & consistently rotate my left shoulder past my chin during my back swing. My fault is this: I tend to slide through the swing instead of remaining still. I have to deliberately remind myself to stop sliding into the swing. That's one of the reasons I take several practice swings before addressing the ball - even then I get annoyed when I realize I slid into the swing again. Argh. When I'm not sliding into the downswing I'm literally crushing this thing now. I think it's referred to as the pivot point. The point at which your left hip raises instead of sliding.
Norm - Sounds like you have a very good awareness of where the defects in your swing are and how to correct them. Easier said than done right! My biggest bad tendency is my right knee collapsing to some degree causing an incorrect weight distribution and transfer from impact though follow-through. I ended up putting a very stiff knee brace on my knee to remind myself and literally keep it from flexing until I got the muscle memory to get the hang of it. Once you know your swing, and know what a correct swing feels like, it's all repetition and building muscle memory at that point. There's a reason the pro's take hundreds of swings everyday.
Old September 20th, 2020, 03:27 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - You're spot-on regarding repetition & muscle memory.
Old September 20th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Always room for one more

Norm we also sat on the davenport. It wasn't too long ago I read that Davenport was a brand name, and it sort of stuck, like Kleenex or Xerox. Also read some people called it the Chesterfield, for the same reason. What's funny is I'm originally from Moline, which is right across the river from Davenport, Iowa. The town was named after a riverboat captain.

Didn't do any mowing. Got to talking on the phone and then it was time for dinner, then talked on the phone some more. I'll get to it some time this week, no rain until at least Thursday.

Been beautiful all day, never got above 70*. Seeing as how summer is now over, the equinox being tomorrow, we can expect temps to be more like this going forward. I need to go back up north and get washer fluid for the car. Around here the stuff you get is good down to +32. How absurd that's only blue water. Up home it's good to at least -20. It doesn't get that cold around here ever but it will venture below freezing.

Okay bedtime. I hope everyone has a good start to their week.

Old September 20th, 2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I need to go back up north and get washer fluid for the car. Around here the stuff you get is good down to +32. How absurd that's only blue water. Up home it's good to at least -20.
I ran into that one winter when looking for some washer fluid before I took a trip out of the Phoenix heat zone up into the high altitude mountains. Everything I found in town was that blue water that advertised "Protects down to +32F" so I had to resort to making my own washer antifreeze out of Windex and alcohol.
Old September 20th, 2020, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

You know what I absolutely 100% love on any motor vehicle? A block heater. Oh yeah, show me your block heater baby.
Old September 20th, 2020, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I read that about Davenport (the sofa) a long time ago when I queried why a sofa/couch had the name Davenport. I’ve been to the Quad Cities several times.
Old September 20th, 2020, 07:13 PM

You know what I absolutely 100% love on any motor vehicle? A block heater. Oh yeah, show me your block heater baby.
Norm - Growing up in Michigan we had a definite need for block heaters on any vehicle that was going to be sitting outside for any length of time. My Dad never had a vehicle that came with a factory option block heater, but he would buy the ones that attached to the block or the oil pan via a magnet. They seemed to work pretty well as best I can remember.
Old September 20th, 2020, 07:50 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I knew several friends who used those type magnetic oil pan heating blankets growing up in the Chicago area. Several occasions over the past several years (funerals) in Wisconsin (mid-January/February) it was -20F while I was there for a week each time. With 15 quarts of oil in a diesel an engine block is a necessity. My F250 tractor started flawlessly each day like the Everready Battery Bunny. It NEVER gets that cold here, but I do use it during the coldest winter days. Speaking of which I believe we average 5 days per year below 25F. Burrrrr! LOL
Old September 21st, 2020, 02:18 AM

I don't see how yous guys that can spell Zamboni without looking it up stand the cold weather. It's 54 degrees and this cracker is freezing dis mawn'in

I gotta put on my long britches to smack whitey around today, I'll try not to exceed Danny Lee's number of putts

Have a great day Olds friends
Old September 21st, 2020, 04:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...Danny Lee's number of putts...
Quite a meltdown.
Old September 21st, 2020, 06:10 AM

Hi Guys.
--Dan, it was the first time I've ever been to the Pure Stock drags, though I have been to Mid Michigan Motorplex before. Actually ran a few cars down the strip on test and tune Wednesday evenings years ago- enjoyed that. A old friend of mine tells a story he swears is true. Back in '65 or so he was still in High School and had a 57 Chevy. One night after dark, he and his girlfriend and another couple went out to the old "Stanton Dragstrip" and decided to run the Chevy down the strip. About 1/2 way down it there were cows on and around the strip! They didn't hit any though. Apparently they let cattle graze on the land back then when races weren't going on....
--Norm, Yep barn is pretty much done as far as I want to go now. Maybe next year I may put a cement pad in front of the side of it where the overhead door and another slider/ pole barn type door are. There is no insulation between the shop and second floor at all- just 3/4" OSB. So I know it looses lots of heat but I only turn on the heat when I go to do a job then turn it back off.
-- James that place looks sweet!!
Old September 21st, 2020, 05:14 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just about time for bed. Went to the dentist this afternoon after work. First time I'd been in, oh, awhile. I was a little disappointed. I have something that needs to be removed and they started out with, you'll have to come back to see the oral surgeon for a consultation. I said, I wanted something done today. I said on the phone this is what I was coming in for. Oh uh uh hold on a second. So they come back and said, if you can come back tomorrow the oral surgeon can squeeze you in. Fine.

Surprise of all surprises, that other guy came in to work today and I was at my desk. One of the robots was broke for over an hour today so we didn't hit our mark. Didn't miss it by much. But hey, the pressure is off, Monday is over.

By the way, looking for a 96 Impala SS that isn't toast or hooptied out. Not a maroon one. Not a classic car store overpriced one. It's for a friend. Mmhmm.

I'm beat. Gonna leave work a little early tomorrow and then head back to the dentist before coming home. Tiger will miss out on break. I'm sure he'll make up for it.

Have a good night everyone.

Old September 21st, 2020, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

By the way, looking for a 96 Impala SS that isn't toast or hooptied out. Not a maroon one.
Mike - I thought they were all maroon.
Old September 21st, 2020, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

Says Green but looks Blue. A little pricey but appears clean.
https://onslow.craigslist.org/cto/d/...197068536.html
Old September 21st, 2020, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Talk him into a 1994. This one is priced right, loaded and very clean.

1994 chevy impala ss super sport - $9,850 (Chesapeake)

Old September 21st, 2020, 06:16 PM

Hi everyone.

Just about time for bed. Went to the dentist this afternoon after work. First time I'd been in, oh, awhile. I was a little disappointed. I have something that needs to be removed and they started out with, you'll have to come back to see the oral surgeon for a consultation. I said, I wanted something done today. I said on the phone this is what I was coming in for. Oh uh uh hold on a second. So they come back and said, if you can come back tomorrow the oral surgeon can squeeze you in. Fine.

Have a good night everyone.
Mike - I hope all goes well for you at the dentist tomorrow. I'll keep my eyes open for the 96 Impala SS. Can you give us a price range and a search radius from where the guy or gal lives?

Pretty slow day around here today. I went out for a short ride on my Indian after lunch for about an hour and a half. Pretty day here, so it was just nice to be out cruising around locally. My wife's started a refinishing project on a dining room set. It's really nice solid oak furniture. The only thing wrong with it is the high traffic surfaces were all scratched up and worn from children being children. Our neighbors just put it out at the curb to be hauled away. We got it for free! Right now she's in the process of stripping it bare. She's going to finish the table top and chair seats in natural colored golden oak, then the rest in antique white. Should be pretty when she gets it done.

Hope everyone is having a relaxing evening!
Old September 21st, 2020, 06:27 PM
Running On Empty

I got my old geezer flu shot in the left arm this morning before golf @ 11:10AM. Tightened up a little, but with swinging the heavy mallets all day the small knot is barely even noticeable. Tee-time tomorrow 8:40AM.

Mike - I have five implants @ $3K each. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.
Old September 21st, 2020, 10:11 PM

I think that the SS Impala of those years came in three colors: the weird gray/green, maroon & black. I would hold out for the last year, 1996, when they came with a floor shift auto.

Last edited by 1969w3155; September 21st, 2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 01:28 AM

Now here's a real pic of "Junk in your trunk"

Old September 22nd, 2020, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

James - That is very funny; those pants are disgusting.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 06:02 AM

A few weeks ago I saw a boat for sale. It was like a flat top /deck pontoon boat but had a V bottom For the life of me I can't remember who made it. Do we have any boats nuts in this group who could help me out?
Old September 22nd, 2020, 06:13 AM

Think that's called a deck boat, James.. They are pretty cool cuz there is lots of room for people but yet they will haul *** if a big enough motor. Yesterday I took 56 F100 down to where I used to live and visited 3 buddies. Had a great time and truck ran perfect, about 200 miles round trip.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 06:54 AM

Greg, Thanks for the help Crownline was the make I was searching for
Old September 22nd, 2020, 09:21 AM

Thanks Jamesbo, now my retina's are scarred.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Now here's a real pic of "Junk in your trunk"

Damn - file that in the category of things that can't be unseen!
Hope everyone has a great day, if it's possible after seeing that!
Old September 22nd, 2020, 12:55 PM

Mike, I hope the dentist visit went well. I know how you hate going
Old September 22nd, 2020, 04:40 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Dentist? What dentist? I left work three hours early so I could go home, take care of Tiger, have some lunch and then be early for the dentist. I was told I'd have to wait all afternoon because they had to "fit me in." I get there and am seen right away. No, there is no one on the schedule. So about 5 little girls had to come in and tell me the doctor would be in soon. Well here comes the oral surgeon. He sees me for 5 minutes, tells me what I need done won't take any time at all, and lets make an appointment to have it done. I said, I assumed it would be done today. And off he was like a shot. That's what $106 got me today. So then I have to go to the little office where the finance/appointment person is. She says, you want to do this tomorrow? I said yes, as long as it's after 3. Oh it will be 9am. I just looked at her. I told her my initial call was to make an appointment with an oral surgeon to have this done and so far I'm 0 for 2 and I was losing my patience. So she said the best she could do was Friday at 1pm. That's great, I get to lose more time from work. This isn't paid time off, it's OWP.

Norm that actually is a green car. I had one just like it years ago. For a long time these cars were fairly priced but in the last couple of years they've really gone up. Don't know why, nothing has changed. Lots of these cars got turned into hoopty's. Yuck. That guy that wants 30K is beyond stupid.

Beautiful out. Chilly in the mornings so I had to dig out a fleece-lined flannel shirt to wear in the house this morning. We'll probably have a few more warm days, then Tiger gets a bath. I like to give him a bath in the spring and in the fall. Praise Be that he likes it and thinks it's fun. No other dog I've had thought that.

Okay gonna hit the sack in a few minutes. Hump Day awaits. Have a good evening everyone.

Old September 22nd, 2020, 04:55 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I thought that price was stupid money but I have no idea what these things are worth.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 05:10 PM

Hi everyone.

Dentist? What dentist? . . . This isn't paid time off, it's OWP!

Okay gonna hit the sack in a few minutes. Hump Day awaits. Have a good evening everyone.
Mike, sorry you're getting the runaround at the dentist. I think I'd be looking for another guy if I got treated that way. Doesn't sound like the staff is doing a very good job of communicating what you should expect for what you need done. I hope Friday goes well and you can feel better and put it in the rear view mirror.

Maggie enjoys her baths and Monty absolutely hates them. I literally have to wait till Monty falls asleep to grab him and put him in the tub for my wife. The only good thing is that once he's in there he doesn't fight to get out.

Hope everyone has a good evening!
Old September 22nd, 2020, 07:02 PM

I noticed that the $30k car had 11,000 miles on it. Agreed that's a lot of money for a 25-ish year old car but how many on the market have that low mileage?
Old September 22nd, 2020, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I noticed that the $30k car had 11,000 miles on it. Agreed that's a lot of money for a 25-ish year old car but how many on the market have that low mileage?
Guys - Just out of curiosity I looked up the Hagerty valuations for 96 Impala SS"s. A #1 Concours level car is valued at $30,800, and a #2 Excellent level car is valued at $20,100. I'd bet what were looking at on the Craigslist $30K car is a #2 car or slightly less. There were no pics of the motor bay or the undercarriage. Just my two cents, but I'd say the car is probably overpriced by $10K.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 07:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That's less than 500 miles/yr.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Guys - Just out of curiosity I looked up the Hagerty valuations for 96 Impala SS"s. A #1 Concours level car is valued at $30,800, and a #2 Excellent level car is valued at $20,100. I'd bet what were looking at on the Craigslist $30K car is a #2 car or slightly less. There were no pics of the motor bay or the undercarriage. Just my two cents, but I'd say the car is probably overpriced by $10K.
Here's a little more food for thought on the Impala SS search. A 1994 #3 Good car is valued on Hagerty at $15,000. That makes the 1994 car that Norm pointed out for $9,800 look like a steal.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 05:51 AM

Good morning Olds friends,
It's supposed to remain cool here today, mid-70's, and partly sunny with about a 30% chance of a scattered shower. I have to take the "Silver Fox" (2000 F150 4x4 XLT Supercab) in for a state mandated safety and emissions check today in order to get new plates. I don't think there's anything that should cause it to fail, but sometimes I think on a vehicle this old the techs think there must be something wrong with it.. I still haven't turned 100K-miles on it yet, I think there's about 97K on it now. It's pretty much relegated to hauling chores and some occasional towing these days. Sometimes I'll take it out to run an errand just to keep the seals from drying out. It's got a slow leak from the rear end cover, but other than that the entire rest of the motor and drive train is bone dry. I just wish it wasn't sitting in the driveway all the time now growing rust!

It's supposed to be mostly sunny and mid-70's again tomorrow and I have plans to ride with one of my regular riding buddies that retired from the same place I did. We've been trying to get out and ride together at least once every other week all summer. I don't know where we're headed, I asked him if he'd plan the ride this time.

I hope eveyone has a great day!
Old September 23rd, 2020, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Purestock pics. Gregs car is the Blue '71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Nice car. I'm annoyed because I shot two videos, and for some reason there was no sound. Checked my manual, and there was nothing in it telling me how to adjust it. In the past, I just hit the record button, and it recording the audio automatically. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sDRdd3kVeHanryX8
Nice pics, thanks for posting! The beater is my '68 H/O.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning Olds friends,
It's supposed to remain cool here today, mid-70's, and partly sunny with about a 30% chance of a scattered shower. I have to take the "Silver Fox" (2000 F150 4x4 XLT Supercab) in for a state mandated safety and emissions check today in order to get new plates. I don't think there's anything that should cause it to fail, but sometimes I think on a vehicle this old the techs think there must be something wrong with it.. I still haven't turned 100K-miles on it yet, I think there's about 97K on it now. It's pretty much relegated to hauling chores and some occasional towing these days. Sometimes I'll take it out to run an errand just to keep the seals from drying out. It's got a slow leak from the rear end cover, but other than that the entire rest of the motor and drive train is bone dry. I just wish it wasn't sitting in the driveway all the time now growing rust!

I hope eveyone has a great day!
Hey guys - Just got back from my truck inspection. Ugh!!! I need new upper and lower ball joints, a manifold leak fixed (cost higher if they need to drill out the bolts), exhaust from the muffler back (including muffler), front brake hoses, and front sway bar linkage replaced to get it to pass the safety inspection. I'm going to have them put a new serpentine belt on it too while they have it since it's 20-years old with 97K miles on it. Total cost about $1,500. I guess I can't complain too much, this will be the first real money I've had to put into it in the 20-years I've had it, and I knew this day would come if I held onto it long enough. Since I'm not much of a mechanic, I'm going to bite the bullet and have my shop go ahead and do the work.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 08:54 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Shots at the park where I walk in AM

Hey all ! Dream67, I think you got off easy 20 years $1500 not bad

Since I got the interior back yesterday and installed it I wanted to take it to the park today check it out