The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2020, 02:04 AM

Chris, What a GREAT idea
Old October 1st, 2020, 04:55 AM

Good morning Old's friends,
Norm and James - Thanks for the compliments on the house lights,, and the thought behind them..

Both my dogs got me up early this morning at 0500. Monty went back to bed with mom, Maggie stayed up with me. When I was working I used to get up early every morning at 0430 to be at work at 0600. That allowed me to get out at 1430 and still have plenty time to get things done at home, plus I'd miss the St. Louis rush hour traffic. I sure don't miss making that drive up into the city everyday!

No big plans for today. Going to put my thinking cap on and manufacture something fun to do. I hope everyone has a great day.
Old October 1st, 2020, 05:54 AM

Mike, your story about the playing mantis reminded me... One day about 10 years ago I was behind our cabin hooking up a electrical box outside. There was a piece of plywood leaning against the wall I had left the day before. While wiring I heard and saw the plywood move and fall over-startled me- behind the piece of wood was a toad and a snake! The snake had the toad by the foot and it wasn't getting loose! As I watched the snake unhinge his jaw and very slowly took more and more of the toads leg. I went and got my wife to show her and we took some pics as the toad slowly was consumed. As it got closer the toad started making a very high pitched squeal which I think was actually the noise of air being forced out of it's body. After about a half hour the toad was completely consumed and the snake had a giant bulge! I finished my job and left the bulged snake, He just laid there- probably felt like I do after overeating! Next day I looked and he was gone. That same night our dog, Jack, got in a tussle with a porcupine and looked like Santa Claus with a beard of quills! Nature!!! Sure is something to see. I remember seeing way back in grade school that a snake could eat something like that but to actually see it in front of me was amazing! Oh and about Jack, we had to wrap him in a blanket and my son and I removed 47 quills from his face. The next day we found 3 or 4 more that had went into his mouth and tongue! We called the vet and he said he should be OK and he was.
Old October 1st, 2020, 02:21 PM

Greg - Great story about the snake, and it made me wince hearing the story about poor Jack. I'm glad you and your son were able to get the quills out quickly.

I've got a good nature story for everyone and it happened in Michigan. My Dad and my brother were deer hunting one year and they were both in their tree stands well before sunrise. A full moon was still up as they were waiting on sunrise. Out of the dark, with no warning or noise, something smashes my Dad in the face knocking him completely out of his treestand. Just luckily he had a high quality, securely fastened, safety harness and he only fell about 6- feet before it caught him. My brother's stand was within shouting distance and my Dad yelled for him to come help. After my brother came and helped him get down, my brother could see my Dad's face was bleeding profusely and could see the talon lacerations across his face. If my Dad had not had glasses on (knocked off his face during the attack) he would probably have lost an eye. As best we can determine, a large owl must have seen the moonlight reflecting off my Dad's glasses, and thought he was a squirrel or other rodent, and thought he had an easy meal. That experience could have easily ended much, much, worse than the dozen or so stitches he ended up with. Crazy!
Old October 1st, 2020, 02:40 PM

WoW! That is crazy!!
Old October 1st, 2020, 02:56 PM

Chris, that's nuts
Kinda reminds me of this

I support the right to arm bears

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old October 1st, 2020, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Chris even though I'm late to the party, put me down as loving the blue lights. Imagine if the whole street was doing that, you could probably see the glow from space. That is a crazy story about your Dad. I've been hanging from a harness 6 feet above ground before, but it wasn't because an owl attacked me. It was a little more self-inflicted...

Good day at work. Sure enough, the washer was going full force when we got there at 6 this morning. The lead who is always trying to make a name for himself just had to make up for the washer being down for two hours yesterday. So it was rush, rush all morning. I didn't know if we were going to do our regular number or lots more. All of a sudden, the last wheel went in, the washer was off, and we were done and out the door before 2. Turns out we ran out of wheels! We've been told for weeks there's hundreds of wheels outside that are backlogged. Well, those wheels turned out to be off planes we've retired and they don't need to be rebuilt.

Greg I watch that Dr. Pol guy when I'm at my Mom's. He is all the time having dogs come in that have gotten after porcupines, and sometimes they have to sedate the dog and get those things out of its throat.

Well we've done it. We've made it to the end of another week. Hopefully we are out of work early tomorrow. Saturday I'm going to get the big truck finally. Might keep it at my house for a little while and clean it up.

So have a good evening everyone. It's beautiful here.
Old October 1st, 2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris even though I'm late to the party, put me down as loving the blue lights. Imagine if the whole street was doing that, you could probably see the glow from space. That is a crazy story about your Dad. I've been hanging from a harness 6 feet above ground before, but it wasn't because an owl attacked me. It was a little more self-inflicted...

So have a good evening everyone. It's beautiful here.
Mike - Thanks for the compliment on the lights. There are probably at least 15 houses now that have the blue lights in our subdivision. We have a subdivision Facebook page and that is how we found out about the Backstoppers fund drive and the lights in the first place. Glad you had a good day at work for a change. I've never fell out of my treestand, but I've had my share of near misses sitting there before light and nodding off, just got lucky I guess. Have a good evening.
Old October 1st, 2020, 05:43 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - The owl story is CRAZY! WTF!
James - I've seen a couple of those bear videos previously - they're way cool.
Mike - Kick'n A$$ & taking names on the big wheels. But, what happened w/ this deal? "..lead is getting an earful tomorrow and when he doesn't do anything about it I'm going to the foreman. This **** is stupid." Let's whip some A$$.

Two new wheels/tires I ordered came in today & I replaced those wheels & tires on my Northern Tool 25 gallon sprayer I pull behind the JD. I can't recall how old it is (15 years maybe). The bearings were completely toast on both wheels - when I pulled them off the axle last week, two races fell right out of one wheel, bearings all over the place, the other wheel, one of the races broke apart & bearings all over the place. Neither of those wheels had grease zerts. The new wheels have grease zerts and I packed both wheels with grease like I was a school boy with my girlfriend in the back seat baby.

Mowed the lawn before golf. I was going to start to edge the monster circular concrete drive and noticed the edging blade was bare w/ no cutting serrations. Changed the blade, then noticed the pulley belt was nearly in pieces - nearly strayed in two in several places. Thought I might just squeeze a little more life from it, I started the edger and that's when the starter rope broke in half. That ended my intentions on edging. I just pulled off the pulleys to clean them, and removed the belt. I began disassembling the cage guard surrounding the starter rope cog wheel. It won't come off without having to remove the entire engine because the base of the edger stops the guard cage from being removed. The engine is only held to the edger base with four bolts, but still - I have to remove the entire engine just to change out a broken starter rope? Argh. Oh well, it's one of those MAW tear the entire thing down, clean it, lube it, etc., etc., etc. Just an annoyance - I like tinkering with $HIT and rebuilding stuff to maintain my equipment. Oh well. Fricking awesome day to play pasture pool. Tee time was 11:14am and a gorgeous day. Tee time tomorrow 8:36am.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 1st, 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old October 1st, 2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, that's nuts
Kinda reminds me of this

I support the right to arm bears
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
James - I've seen bears climb a lot of things, but not up a guys treestand while he's in it! Thanks for posting!
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:54 PM

I've seen a couple of those "bear climbing tree stand" videos before, I would about **** myself. That guy was as cool as a cucumber. Hmm, I would have been half tempted to save the toad from the snake, even though it was nature doing it's thing. Time to buy a plexi face shield for hunting in the tree stand....just in case. I think that the wildlife is letting us know that we aren't in charge as much as we would like to believe.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 01:01 AM

Well, On Wednesday [hump day,] we had a few camel toes,

So how about "Food Friday

Behold /country fried steak [ or if you prefer "Chicken fried steak]

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:29 AM

Well, On Wednesday [hump day,] we had a few camel toes,

So how about "Food Friday

Behold /country fried steak [ or if you prefer "Chicken fried steak"

Have a great weekend Olds friends
James - That Country Fried Steak looks great, I love that stuff. My wife makes a mean meatloaf, and usually mashed potatoes, brown gravy, and corn as sides. She usually makes extra meatloaf because she knows I like meatloaf sandwiches. I'm not sure what's on the menu today yet?

Good morning everyone - The forecast is unseasonably cool for here today (high 61), but sunny and no chance of rain. It should be really nice for the cruise-in we'll be leaving for around 1530. I like those 60's temps with no A/C in my car. I'll take a few pics and post them this evening or tomorrow.

We're supposed to go apple picking with my youngest daughter's family tomorrow, but the weather forecast has changed to iffy at best. Going to have to check in with her later today and see if they are still planning on trying to go tomorrow?

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:39 AM

Chris, I made a meat loaf the other day, I like 3/4 ground beef and 1/4 ground poke, onion, bell pepper, and I-talian bread crumbs in mine

Notice the Oxford comma
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:57 AM

Chris, I made a meat loaf the other day, I like 3/4 ground beef and 1/4 ground poke, onion, bell pepper, and I-talian bread crumbs in mine

Notice the Oxford comma
James - My wife's meatloaf is very, very similar to your's, minus the poke, and with the addition of some Lipton Onion Soup mix as an additional flavoring. Good stuff Maynard! To be honest, I had to look up what "poke" is, I was not familiar with that food at all!
Old October 2nd, 2020, 08:59 AM

Pork
Old October 2nd, 2020, 09:09 AM

Pork
James - I looked up "poke" and it said it was diced fish! I thought, well that's a little weird, but if it tastes good, alright then! I'm glad what you really meant was pork, I can really get onboard with that! Sounds much better than adding diced fish. Speaking of diced fish, you know what I haven't had in forever, fried salmon patties. Used to have them fairly often as a kid.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 09:14 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

One minute before noon but this will post after so no good morning. I hope everyone had a good morning. See it's noon right now.

Good morning at work. My workwith came in to work and we knocked out forty-some wheels in nothing flat. We needed 63 and they just weren't to be had. So Norm, what happened to me being all puffed up and sounding tough? Someone beat me to it! My workwith is tired of all the BS as well and went to the lead and said what are we going to do about this? I don't know what the lead said, probably dismissed him, but he stole my thunder! That's okay, as long as something happens that's fine with me. Left a little after 11. Can't beat that.

Chris, I'm wondering what you found when you looked up poke? I googled, what food is poke? And got this response:
Poke /poʊˈkeɪ/ (Hawaiian for "to slice" or "cut crosswise into pieces"; sometimes stylized Poké to aid pronunciation, also called Poké Bowl) is diced raw fish served either as an appetizer or as a main course and is one of the main dishes of Native Hawaiian cuisine.

Now, I'm certain anything Jamesbo makes is excellent, but I have to admit I'd pause before eating meatloaf with raw fish in it. PS my Mom puts pork in her meatloaf and she fixes it for me every time I'm visiting.

I was wondering what I was going to fix for my evening meal, and then I see Country Fried Steak. We called it both names up home. I may have to take a run to Cracker Barrel tonight to get some, or Jamesbo's house.

Gonna mess around in the front yard a little, and might head to the shop to mess around there. It's lovely out, a bit coolish but sunny. Great start to the weekend, which is supposed to be more of the same.

Have a great afternoon everyone.

PS Chris you and Jamesbo snuck in there before I pressed enter. Glad you figured it out. I can only imagine your puzzlement.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 09:16 AM

Shocks?

Good day gents!
Its shock time for my 72' Supreme Conv. Looking for input/suggestions KYB and Bilstein are Suggestions. Is there a big difference if just a cruzer? I'm not hitting a track with this. Bilstein are twice the cost which is fine if it's the way to go bu.t will they be too stiff of a ride? Thanks in advance! Jack
Old October 2nd, 2020, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

Jack - I run Bilstein on the front of my '71 CS. I've always liked Bilstein. They are not too stiff and I am one who likes a stiff suspension. I run Monroe coil-overs in the rear. I'll replace the rears with Bilstein next time it needs rears.
Mike - Nice to see the workwith step up to the plate. Hopefully his message did not fall on deaf ears.

I've never been a big fan of country fried steak. It's OK, will put meat on your bones. Meatloaf OTOH I really enjoy. And, like Greg, I love a meatloaf sandwich. Our family made meatloaf nearly the same: beef (no pork), onions, green bell pepper, instead of bread crumbs we'd dice up slices of bread into small pieces the size of sugar cubes then soak the bread in either one or two beaten eggs. To this entire gameesh, we add one or two small cans of tomato paste or roughly a 1/2 dozen blanched vine ripe tomatoes. Ladle some marinara sauce or ketchup on the top and cook in oven in bread pans. Historically, the way I was told from our family, meatloaf was a left-over meal. Prior to the days of real refrigerators, and most likely ice-boxes, meat would spoil modestly fast (obviously faster with no refrigeration whatsoever). At just about the time the meat was ready to toss to the cats & dogs, they'd grab whatever else was near spoilage (including what was in the victory gardens), band it all together and make meatloaf. I generally add Worcestershire sauce as one of my seasonings.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 2nd, 2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: sp
Old October 2nd, 2020, 11:23 AM
Running On Empty

Like most people who enjoy cooking, I learned a lot by watching my Mom cook. I used to watch her cook for hours.

Old October 2nd, 2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
. . . Meatloaf OTOH I really enjoy. And, like Greg, I love a meatloaf sandwich.
Norm - Damn, how do I even follow up your very last post, this will be very anti-climaxic!

Hard to keep track sometimes I know, but it was me, not Greg, who brought up the meatloaf sandwich business. We had meatloaf on Wednesday, and I will be having a meatloaf sandwich before I leave for the cruise.

Old October 2nd, 2020, 12:59 PM

I'm glad to hear some of y'all are having cooler weather. We're starting to get cooler overnight temps, but the daytime is still the same.

Old October 2nd, 2020, 01:07 PM

Geez Norm, that's your Mom? I'll bet she is a good cook!
Old October 2nd, 2020, 01:56 PM
Running On Empty

Oh yeah, Chris brought up the meatloaf not Greg. A momentary lapse of reasoning on my part brought upon I'm sure trying to determine who in their right mind would ever put poke (diced fish) in meatloaf (although I knew James was poking fun as he always does) with the word poke (pork). I don't believe an ice-cold glass of mule **** would make that taste good.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 05:49 PM

Good evening guys,
Just got back from the car cruise and it was a huge one with lots of nice cars. Weather was perfect, sunny and low 60's. Here's some pics. Old's first, then a couple general pics to get an idea of how big it was, then a few others that I liked alot. Enjoy!

Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:43 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks for sharing the pictures. Sounds like a very nice day. What's the deal w/ that police car? You think it ever really was a police car?
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:50 PM

Here come da Judge...
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:16 PM

Chris - Thanks for sharing the pictures. Sounds like a very nice day. What's the deal w/ that police car? You think it ever really was a police car?
Norm - The owner wasn't by the car when I took the pic. The insignia on the door for the small little town of Otto, MO looked real, and like it had been on there for 70-years. I don't know what year/model Olds it is either. I don't know the 40's and 50's models well at all.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Here come da Judge...
Kenneth - My 67 442 is parked immediately to the right (in the pic) of "da Judge". My buddie's $100K 1966 427ci tri-power Vette was parked on the other side of me. I think I could hear my car whispering to me on the way home, "Baby, you done me wrong" by wedging her between those two!
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - The owner wasn't by the car when I took the pic. The insignia on the door for the small little town of Otto, MO looked real, and like it had been on there for 70-years. I don't know what year/model Olds it is either. I don't know the 40's and 50's models well at all.
OK. I was just curious if it ever was a police car. I think he butchered his little makeover. 911 wasn't even a number when that car was manufactured & the interior - including the dashboard - covered in leopard? And, the USMC decal just adds more to the 'blah' factor for me. Why do people do that?

EDIT: I forgot to add what I was going to say before I posted. If anything, he should stand back and rip a couple of rounds from a .30-06 Springfield into the doors.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 2nd, 2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:28 PM
Always room for one more

Well, Saturn 2 Mike 0. I thought the grommet repair for the shifter cable would be a piece of cake. Nope. While it looks like there's lots of space, and it's very visible looking down on it, there is no room for two hands and/or tools. The grommet is plastic but not very flexible, there were two in the package I got. It took me an hour to lose the first one and 5 minutes to lose the second one. I think if a car has a recall it should be taken care of whenever it breaks, not just the first time.

Chris you find all the good shows. Very nice. My guess would be the police car was a recreation. The Oldsmobile Highway Patrol sticker and the 911 sticker make me think that. It's a late 40s car.

So Tiger was out in the back yard and he starts yelping something fierce. I run out onto the porch and he's in the brush growling and carrying on. I call him and he comes out with a possum. He's gotten ahold of this possum before. I finally got him to come in, and a few minutes later the possum wanders back into the brush. I didn't see any bite marks on Tiger so I think he'll be okay. Possums don't get rabies, they are just mean little animals. And not very bright if he got caught twice.

Think I'll hit the sack. Gotta meet a friend of mine at the Awful house in the morning, he's going to take me up to get my big truck. The mechanic has had it for 3 1/2 months and 2400 bucks later he's finally done. Sheesh. That's going to be it for awhile. I spend some of my profit sharing money on the trucks maintenance, but there won't be any profit sharing for a while now.

Have a good night everyone.

​​​​​​​
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:42 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, opossums are weird little critters - they move like a slug, are dumber than dirt, have a body temperature lower than most other mammals, and they have blood proteins which can neutralize the bite of a rattlesnake. Not to mention the fact they're ugly little buggers.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:50 PM

Yeah, opossums are weird little critters - they move like a slug, are dumber than dirt, have a body temperature lower than most other mammals, and they have blood proteins which can neutralize the bite of a rattlesnake. Not to mention the fact they're ugly little buggers.
Norm - I agree, opossums are dumber than dirt. I don't know much about armadillos, but they can't be much smarter, and maybe not as smart, as an opossum. We never saw any armadillos this far north until about 5 years ago, and now they seem to be everywhere. Seems like I see more armadillo road kills these days than opossums.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 08:01 PM
Running On Empty

Yeah, I call armadillos armored opossums, that's basically what the word armadillo means anyways - little armored one. Those little buggers have this crazy instinct - it's a defense mechanism they perform before they roll up into a ball. They jump about two to three feet off the ground. Catch one in the middle of the highway and they become grille ornaments. Armadillos are related to sloths, believe it or not. And, they generally always have four identical newborn quadruplets in every single litter. I used to know why, but can't remember off the top of my head, but they remain (I think) the only animal (maybe I'm wrong about this) which still carries leprosy. I know they carry the leprosy bacteria, but can't recall why they do. They're weird little critters. Oh yeah, opossums are marsupials - they have pouches. Isn't that cute those goofy little buggers.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 08:14 PM

Yeah, I call armadillos armored opossums, that's basically what the word armadillo means anyways - little armored one. Those little buggers have this crazy instinct - it's a defense mechanism they perform before they roll up into a ball. They jump about two to three feet off the ground. Catch one in the middle of the highway and they become grille ornaments. Armadillos are related to sloths, believe it or not. And, they generally always have four identical newborn quadruplets in every single litter. I used to know why, but can't remember off the top of my head, but they remain (I think) the only animal (maybe I'm wrong about this) which still carries leprosy. I know they carry the leprosy bacteria, but can't recall why they do. They're weird little critters. Oh yeah, opossums are marsupials - they have pouches. Isn't that cute those goofy little buggers.
Norm - Always love your biology lessons! A little surprised you didn't go into the difference between an Opossum and a Possum. Can we all say Pangea?
Old October 2nd, 2020, 08:18 PM
Running On Empty

...and, Laurasia & Gonwana.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Kenneth - My 67 442 is parked immediately to the right (in the pic) of "da Judge". My buddie's $100K 1966 427ci tri-power Vette was parked on the other side of me. I think I could hear my car whispering to me on the way home, "Baby, you done me wrong" by wedging her between those two!
I can sympathize with your car. Seems like every year when I go to the All Olds Car Show my car, which is a moderate daily driver, gets sammiched between a buncha extremely nice show quality cars. Dang, a fella can't catch a break around here.

Old October 2nd, 2020, 10:01 PM

Did anyone happen to go out tonight and see Mars in close proximity to the moon? I set up the telescope but it had too much magnification to get a full view, so I set up the binoculars on a tripod for lower magnification views.

Here's the full moon in the telescope

Jupiter and Saturn through the telescope.

For those interested, the telescope is a Celestron 127mm Maksutov-Cassegrain and the binoculars are Orion 8x56 on a tripod for stability. I'm using an iPhone with an aftermarket camera app that gives control over aperture and shutter speed so I can get the right exposure for low light astronomical observation.

Last edited by Fun71; October 2nd, 2020 at 10:14 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 11:08 PM

One good thing about possum's, is that they eat ticks, so I don't mind if they are in the back yard. Kenneth, does your telescope have the feature that compensates for the rotation of the Earth?