The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Finished up at work ridiculously early and then sat around until 2. I expect the same tomorrow. Our lead wasn't there again and the PITA lead was there, hence sitting around.

Beautiful out. I had planned to take the battery out of the Saturn and go swap it for a good one, but I sat down at my desk and happened to notice the electric bill was due tomorrow, and there wasn't time to mail it. So I took it to the local office and that took care of my battery time. That's okay, I can get the battery tomorrow.

Jamesbo I'll pass on the dentist. Although it would be interesting to see if they actually know how to keep the appointments.

Norm I hadn't heard about that guy on Trump Tower. The thing in Melbourne is a glass room that you get into, and the glass is opaque. It moves on tracks outside of the building and then the glass clears up. You're about 900 feet above ground. But don't worry, everyone is wearing Tyvek footies so the glass on the floor doesn't get scratched or cracked.

I've been tired all day. Tiger didn't want to get up in the night last night, instead he waited until a half hour before I was going to get up anyway. He didn't stay outside long, and I said I was going back to bed to take advantage of that last 30 minutes. That was a mistake. Laid there wide awake and then just dosed off as the alarm was sounding. I wonder if I give him booze before bed if he'd sleep all night.

Okay gonna fix something to eat and then wind down. Hope everyone has a good evening, Hump Day awaits.

Old October 20th, 2020, 03:44 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
The thing in Melbourne is a glass room that you get into, and the glass is opaque. It moves on tracks outside of the building and then the glass clears up. You're about 900 feet above ground. But don't worry, everyone is wearing Tyvek footies so the glass on the floor doesn't get scratched or cracked.
I'll bet people actually pay to get into that glass room which moves outside of the building at a height of 900' above ground. You would not catch me stepping one foot into that contraption.
Old October 21st, 2020, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jeffrey Toobin has had better days.

I'm pretty sure he's a member of CO and visits the Good morning thread At least on on Wednesday. His handle is Chokemychicken

Old October 21st, 2020, 08:55 AM

James - Well isn't that Special!

Good morning guys,
More of the same crappy weather here. It's 55 and totally overcast right now, and we're supposed to get periods of showers and thunderstorms throughout the day and evening. Supposed to be mostly sunny and a high of 83 tomorrow. Would have liked to be able to go for an all day ride tomorrow, but we scheduled an appointment several weeks ago for Monty to get his annual heartworm check at 1:15. Guess I'll have to settle for a local ride when we get back from the vet.

I changed the oil in our Hyundai Santa Fe a couple weeks ago, and about 4 or 5 days ago I noticed a drop or two of oil on the garage floor. It wasn't residual oil left from the oil change, I always clean everything off really good when I'm done. Jacked it up, and sure enough it was leaking slowly from the drain plug. I'm always hesitant to tighten them down too much, and too lazy I guess to look up the torque spec and put a torque wrench on it. In any case, I tightened it down a little more. Now, it's still leaking. I'll have to get back under there tomorrow and see what's going on. May need a new crush washer (which I didn't replace), or I still don't have it snug enough. I'm going to kick myself if I have to drain the oil out just to put a new crush washer on it! Ugh!

Well, I hope you all have a great day and are enjoying better weather than we are!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 21st, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old October 21st, 2020, 10:55 AM

Well, I went to a Osteopathic Manipulative place this morning for some adjustments and evaluation for my back. Of course things weren't kosher, so they ordered up x rays, which I won't know the results for until my next appt. in November. The doctor was a young thing, about 35 ish and about 5'2". Why they didn't just get the films from my MRI is beyond me. It might be because they are two competing medical centers. Of course Jamesbo, if your friend pictured above did some manipulating on my back, I'm sure that I would feel much better.

Last edited by 1969w3155; October 21st, 2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old October 21st, 2020, 11:03 AM
Running On Empty

38/38 = 76
Nine hole shootout this evening @4:30pm
Old October 21st, 2020, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

Just received an e-mail confirmation of my committee assignment, dates & shifts for next years 2021 RBC Heritage

DATE SHIFT NAME SHIFT TIME COMMITTEE
Thu, April 15, 2021 Hole #8 Shotlink Fairway 01:10 PM - 07:00 PM Shotlink Laser
Fri, April 16, 2021 Hole #8 Shotlink Fairway 01:10 PM - 07:00 PM Shotlink Laser
Sun, April 18, 2021 Hole #8 Shotlink Fairway 09:10 AM - 04:00 PM Shotlink Laser
Old October 21st, 2020, 12:41 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike.................

Old October 21st, 2020, 01:52 PM

38/38 = 76
Nine hole shootout this evening @4:30pm
Norm - Nice round!!!
Old October 21st, 2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, I went to a Osteopathic Manipulative place this morning for some adjustments and evaluation for my back. Of course things weren't kosher, so they ordered up x rays, which I won't know the results for until my next appt. in November. The doctor was a young thing, about 35 ish and about 5'2". Why they didn't just get the films from my MRI is beyond me. It might be because they are two competing medical centers. Of course Jamesbo, if your friend pictured above did some manipulating on my back, I'm sure that I would feel much better.
Dan - I sympathize with you having back issues, they are no fun! I have multiple degenerative discs in my lower back, and not much they can do for me unless I'm willing to have the discs removed and vertebrae fused. I'm not there yet, because it's fine 98% of the time. The other 2% of the time when I move just the wrong way and pinch a nerve back there is hell, and I'm out of commission for a week or so. I hope the doctors can get you some relief that lasts.
Old October 21st, 2020, 03:23 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another beautiful day. Cold in the shop, though, one would think I'd be smart enough to bring a jacket or something. One would be wrong.

Took the battery out of the car and went to the battery place. He took a look at it and said he didn't have any, it would be Tuesday. Hour and a half round trip. mostly because of traffic. I'll go earlier on Tuesday. The same battery at the auto parts store is double. WTH.

Dan I hope this place can get you some relief. My back stiffens up pretty quickly any more, and I attribute that to going to a chiropractor. I didn't have any trouble before that. Hope it doesn't get any worse.

Norm I see a continuity issue here. The guitar people in this commercial say the camel is happy on Wednesday, but in the other commercial where the people are at the zoo yelling at the camels, they are unhappy.

Chris let that drip! Unless you are going to capture the oil and re-pour it into the engine, the cost of the new oil will far outweigh the cost of the crush gasket. Unless of course you can't sleep knowing that there are drips on the garage floor. That I would totally understand.

Work was the same as yesterday, except we finished up an hour earlier. And the guys kept building so we have a good head start on tomorrow. So we will finish early tomorrow as well. Hope that trend continues on Friday.

Okay gonna clean up in the kitchen then hunt around for some paperwork. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old October 21st, 2020, 03:55 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris let that drip! Unless you are going to capture the oil and re-pour it into the engine, the cost of the new oil will far outweigh the cost of the crush gasket. Unless of course you can't sleep knowing that there are drips on the garage floor. That I would totally understand.
Mike - Self- awareness is a good thing, so I'll go ahead and say it, I'm pretty OCD, especially about my work. Aggravates me that I f@*$ed it up. I won't drain it and put it back in. I plan on finding out the torque spec on the drain plug, and crawling under there tomorrow to first loosen it, and then retighten it to spec and see what it does. If it still leaks I'll just keep a pan under it until the next time it needs changed.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 21st, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old October 21st, 2020, 04:14 PM
Running On Empty

Nice hole shootout - 41. Couldn't find my game.
Old October 21st, 2020, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Honestly, you should be able to slowly remove that oil pan bolt & crush washer then quickly stick your finger in the hole. With one hand you could remove the old crush washer, place the new crush washer on the bolt, remove finger and reinsert the bolt. Seriously, I've done this many times on various vehicles - not to simply change out a crush washer, but for other reasons. The other thing is just buy a new crush washer and bolt, have both on the ready, remove the old bolt and crush washer (stick your finger in the hole or jam a rubber stopper if you don't want to get your fingers oily) and screw the new set in. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. At most you may lose what - 1/16 pint of oil, 8 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 pint of oil, 1/3 pint of oil? It's pretty damn easy.
Old October 21st, 2020, 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=Vintage Chief;1288202]Chris - Honestly, you should be able to slowly remove that oil pan bolt & crush washer then quickly stick your finger in the hole. With one hand you could remove the old crush washer, place the new crush washer on the bolt, remove finger and reinsert the bolt. Seriously, I've done this many times on various vehicles - not to simply change out a crush washer, but for other reasons. The other thing is just buy a new crush washer and bolt, have both on the ready, remove the old bolt and crush washer (stick your finger in the hole or jam a rubber stopper if you don't want to get your fingers oily) and screw the new set in. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. At most you may lose what - 1/16 pint of oil, 8 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 pint of oil, 1/3 pint of oil? It's pretty damn easy.[/OTE]

Norm - You're right, that's definitely a viable course of action. Actually I thought of that course of action and I do have a set of rubber stoppers of differing diameters. Just thought I'd try the least invasive option first. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:17 PM

Chris, if you have luck like me, the new plug and gasket will drop and roll under the bench as you lay under the car with your finger in the drain hole, yelling for someone to help, like the Danish boy with his finger in the dyke!! I have a drain pan that I keep reasonably clean that I use for situations when I want to save the oil to reuse. Earlier this spring I knew the plug threads were getting bad on my old truck. It was ready for a oil change so I bought a new plug and gasket. When I installed new plug I could tell the threads in oil pan were pretty poor also but I thought it would be OK until next change. No it wasn't and was dripping all over floor. So I bought one of those oversize self tapping plugs that had a smaller plug in it. I cleaned up the drain pan with some carb cleaner and a rag and drained out the oil into it. After putting in new plug I put oil right back in- no troubles!!
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, if you have luck like me, the new plug and gasket will drop and roll under the bench as you lay under the car with your finger in the drain hole, yelling for someone to help, like the Danish boy with his finger in the dyke!! I have a drain pan that I keep reasonably clean that I use for situations when I want to save the oil to reuse. Earlier this spring I knew the plug threads were getting bad on my old truck. It was ready for a oil change so I bought a new plug and gasket. When I installed new plug I could tell the threads in oil pan were pretty poor also but I thought it would be OK until next change. No it wasn't and was dripping all over floor. So I bought one of those oversize self tapping plugs that had a smaller plug in it. I cleaned up the drain pan with some carb cleaner and a rag and drained out the oil into it. After putting in new plug I put oil right back in- no troubles!!
Greg - Believe me when I say the thought of sticking my finger in the hole and then trying to get the new plug in never crossed my mind. Like I told Norm, I have several different size rubber stoppers like you'd use in chemistry class to stop test tubes that I intended to use if I have to go that route. With the luck I've had so far on this oil change, who knows what will happen tomorrow . . . LoL
Old October 22nd, 2020, 12:52 AM

Chris - Honestly, you should be able to slowly remove that oil pan bolt & crush washer then quickly stick your finger in the hole. With one hand you could remove the old crush washer, place the new crush washer on the bolt, remove finger and reinsert the bolt. Seriously, I've done this many times on various vehicles - not to simply change out a crush washer, but for other reasons. The other thing is just buy a new crush washer and bolt, have both on the ready, remove the old bolt and crush washer (stick your finger in the hole or jam a rubber stopper if you don't want to get your fingers oily) and screw the new set in. Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. At most you may lose what - 1/16 pint of oil, 8 tablespoons of oil, 1/2 pint of oil, 1/3 pint of oil? It's pretty damn easy.

Be sure to make a video to post with the other 3000 on you tube. There seems to be alot of different solutions to this [evidently] recurring problem

Just MHO, BUT Seems to me if you "Slowly" remove the plug the more oil is gonna run down your arm
Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:44 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Seems to me if you "Slowly" remove the plug the more oil is gonna run down your arm
James - Oooops! Not sure why I said/typed "slowly" - off chance I was viewing one of your lovely posts & a different hole came to mind?
Not certain - nice catch though. Yeah, you'd need to rapidly replace the plug w/ your finger.
Which seeds did you drill for the horse pasture?

No golf today. I'm going to address landscaping & some maintenance items. Absolutely outstanding fall/autumn weather here.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:56 AM

James - Oooops! Not sure why I said/typed "slowly" - off chance I was viewing one of your lovely posts & a different hole came to mind?
Norm - I think you've played so much golf you were fixated on your backswing - Slowwwwwly!
Old October 22nd, 2020, 08:17 AM

Good morning guys,
Well the deed is done, torqued down the oil drain plug to the high end of the spec range listed. Guess we'll see if it holds! Got to take Monty to the vet at 11:30 for his heartworm test, so the car will get driven and I'll check it when we get home to see if there's any seepage.

Hope everyone has a great day and I'll give an oil leak update this evening.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 01:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Finished up at work before 11. Left at 2. Sat at the vet for an hour to get a refill on Tiger's medicine. What's wrong with those people?

Beautiful out. I hope it keeps up. Chance of rain Saturday. If I were King, rain would need a permit.

Chris glad both events came out well. I have to change oil and trans oil/filter in the dogmobile this weekend. The trans pan bolts are torqued to something like 12ft lbs. which is about finger tight. Once I was using my torque wrench, which only goes down to 20. I thought, I'll just tighten the bolts to 20, it will be okay. Kept going and going, until snap, the head came right off. Turns out my torque wrench is bad and won't break at any setting. So now I have one less bolt on the pan, but thankfully it doesn't leak.

Time to eat. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more to go.

Old October 22nd, 2020, 03:52 PM

Good evening everyone,

Mike - Thanks for the well wishes on my events today. Glad you got off early again, hopefully you'll have an early off day tomorrow.

Well my wife finally got done, done with her refinishing project. I want to share some before/after pics with you guys because she did such a good job on it and I'm pretty damn proud of her! The kids in the family that had owned it before us had beat the hell out of the table top and chairs, with several deep gouges all the way into the bare wood. My wife stripped the entire table (including pop-up center leaf) and all 6 chairs down to bare wood, and then sanded out any gouges that were into the wood. The set looks really great inside our home because all the interior trim in our house is white. The woman's got skills!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 22nd, 2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - The table set looks very nice. Good job. Is that where you'll be rebuilding your carburetor this winter?
Old October 22nd, 2020, 04:26 PM

That's a great job on the table!!
Old October 22nd, 2020, 04:30 PM

Chris - The table set looks very nice. Good job. Is that where you'll be rebuilding your carburetor this winter?
Norm - Yeah, right! I have to check and make sure my a$$ is clean now before I can even set down . . . LoL! My projects are limited to the confines of the garage, which is my only sanctuary. I think I need to seriously look into finishing it off with insulated doors, heat and air! I'll let my wife know you appreciate her handywork, thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 04:33 PM

That's a great job on the table!!
Thanks Greg, I'll let my wife know you're impressed with her craftsmanship!
Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:20 PM
Always room for one more

So day 2 of looking for that paperwork I wanted yesterday(that I actually found) and what do I find while looking? A letter from the ad agency Leo Burnett about the 1990 Oldsmobile advertising. Remember when the line was, Not Your Father's Oldsmobile? I went to the Chicago Auto Show in February of 90 and Oldsmobile had this huge video wall, all CRT televisions how funny, and they were showing off their "brand new Oldsmobile," which was the 4 door version of the front driver Cutlass Supreme which had come out in 88. There was this cool song playing along and I wrote to LB to tell them I thought the song and the video wall were really neat. They sent me a cassette tape of the song, and a letter thanking me for my enthusiasm. "Always glad to know our work is appreciated." I know I have the tape around here somewhere, don't know if I dare play a 30 year old tape. Oddly enough, my Mother bought a 90 Cutlass Supreme 4 door and had it a number of years. It was a very good car and actually fun to drive, just like was depicted on the video wall.

Chris the table and chairs looks great. She does fine work. Now you need a buffet and a hutch to match.

Okay bedtime. I'm all excited about that tape. Hope I can find it. I'll be humming myself to sleep to the tune. Good night everyone.

PS Jamesbo what county do you live in?

Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:35 PM

Chris the table and chairs looks great. She does fine work. Now you need a buffet and a hutch to match.
Thanks Mike, I'll let her know you said that.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 05:59 PM

Fresh out of the oven. Blueberry, with a good heaping scoop of Breyers Vanilla on the side.

Old October 22nd, 2020, 09:46 PM

Late to the party, the dining set and the blueberry pie look great.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Late to the party, the dining set and the blueberry pie look great.
Dan - Thanks, I'll let my wife know you appreciate her craftsmanship. As for the pie, I'm pretty damn good too at pulling a pie out of the freezer, sticking it in the oven, and setting a timer. Have a great day!

Old October 23rd, 2020, 05:30 AM

Good morning guys,
Sun is just coming up here. It's 65 right now, but after 10:00 the temps supposed to drop throughout the rest of the day down into the 40's by 5:00pm. We're also supposed to have periods of showers and thunderstorms throughout the day, with a pretty high chance of rain through the weekend. Not the kind of weather forecast where you can plan on doing anything fun outside!

No big plans for the day. However, with each passing day I'm getting closer to having to make the decision to winterize the toys. For me that doesn't really entail a whole lot other than overinflating the tires, adding fuel stabilizer, and sticking a stainless steel scouring pad in each exhaust pipe. I'm lucky that our winters our mild enough that we usually have several days without snow on the ground and I can start each vehicle up every couple of weeks and back it out into the driveway to warm up to operating temp and drive the moisture out.

Thanks again to everyone who praised my wife's craftsmanship on the table and chairs refinishing. She really appreciated it.. Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 23rd, 2020 at 05:44 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 05:59 AM

Chris, never heard of over-inflating tires, to keep them from flatspotting? Probably you don't have trouble with mice, living in your subdivision?
Old October 23rd, 2020, 06:49 AM

Chris, never heard of over-inflating tires, to keep them from flatspotting? Probably you don't have trouble with mice, living in your subdivision?
Greg - That’s the theory to reduce the chance of flatspotting. I can't swear that it works, but I've read that in several sources. When I say overinflate, I don't actually exceed the maximum inflatable psi on the sidewall. For example, I usually run about 34 psi in my 442 tires which are 235 55r 17s. The maximum psi on these Continental tires is an extremely high 51 psi, and last year I aired them up to 50 and called it good. Motorcycle tires have higher normal operating pressures anyway, around 41 or 42 psi, so I usually just take those up to 3 or 4 pounds over the normal cold operating pressure.

Mice can be an issue, our subdivision is not that big, and it is very rural all around us. We had a few in our basement once. I now put down both poison and sticky traps to keep them in check. I put several scented dryer sheets throughout the 442 last year, under the hood, inside and in the trunk. Again, can't say they definitely work, but that's what I've read and it worked for me last year. If you have experience with something else you've had good luck with in keeping mice away from your car I'd love to hear what it is. One thing I think I have going for me is our garage gets alot of traffic because it's our regular entrance/exit from the house and I'm out there alot.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 08:54 AM

As for the pie, I'm pretty damn good too at pulling a pie out of the freezer, sticking it in the oven, and setting a timer.
We got those thunderstorms and rain up this way as well. A couple of times this A.M. it came down in buckets. I've got a rain coat and new wiper blades on the daily driver, so I should be good.
Old October 23rd, 2020, 10:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Finished up work early, then sat around. Not a good thing for a tired person to do.

This afternoon is canceled. Went to bed last night around 8. After two hours of Tiger tossing and turning and scratching and licking(he makes this disgusting slurping sound) I finally turned on the light to see what the trouble was. His skin was so red and splotchy, and he had this huge swollen spot under his leg. I didn't know what to do so we packed up and went to the all night vet. Three hours later we got back home and it was about an hour and a half until it was time to get up. Not sure I slept much, but got up and did my best at work. I would have called in, but half of the day's work was locked in my desk. That wouldn't have gone over too well.

But I persevered and work was okay, and I stopped at the Awful house on the way home. Saw a guy I hadn't seen in awhile so we had a nice chat. Now I'm going to take a nap which will probably take up most of the afternoon. That's okay. Oh, they gave Tiger a shot of something and he is doing a lot better. His skin is still splotchy, but he's not scratching and they gave us(meaning sold us at an inflated price) shampoo, mousse, more medicine that I will wade through later on. No way was I going to have him be uncomfortable all night and all day as well.

So have a good afternoon everyone and I'll pop back in later on. Lots to do this weekend, but not today.

Old October 23rd, 2020, 06:44 PM
Always room for one more

And good evening. I literally went from the computer to my bed this afternoon and slept until 6. I was really beat. Not sleeping, then going to work, and worrying about Tiger really took its toll. I felt a lot better when I got up but I will still sleep good tonight.

Lots to do tomorrow. Work on cars, do some chores around the house, give Tiger a bath with the fancy shampoo. I get to sleep in tomorrow which is something I haven't done in three weeks. Supposed to be nice, hope so.

Just took it easy tonight, watched a couple Jay Leno Garage videos. I'm not really a fan of Leno, but I appreciate his knowledge of old cars and the stuff he has is pretty neat. I know a couple people who know him, he's supposed to be down to earth like he seems on TV. I've caught a couple things he's gotten wrong in his ramblings, but so far he's been spot on with his Corvair knowledge. And that's what's really important.

Okay, have a good night everyone, and a great weekend.

Old October 23rd, 2020, 11:21 PM

Mike I'm in Fulton
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:14 AM

Hi everyone.

Finished up work early, then sat around. Not a good thing for a tired person to do.

This afternoon is canceled. Went to bed last night around 8. After two hours of Tiger tossing and turning and scratching and licking(he makes this disgusting slurping sound) I finally turned on the light to see what the trouble was. His skin was so red and splotchy, and he had this huge swollen spot under his leg. I didn't know what to do so we packed up and went to the all night vet. Three hours later we got back home and it was about an hour and a half until it was time to get up. Not sure I slept much, but got up and did my best at work. I would have called in, but half of the day's work was locked in my desk. That wouldn't have gone over too well.

So have a good afternoon everyone and I'll pop back in later on. Lots to do this weekend, but not today.
Mike - Sorry to hear you had such a rough night on Thursday. Hope Tiger is still on the mend and doing better, and that you were able to catch up on some sleep last night. Enjoy the weekend!