The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2020, 06:43 PM
Running On Empty

I regularly wear a flat rim like Stevie Ray wore while playing golf. I’d like to save my ears from the amount of sun I get walking the links.
Old October 26th, 2020, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Speaking of Stevie, my first concert was Three Dog Night @ Alpine Valley, WI (1968 or 1969?). Seems like it was sometime in the Eocene. I must have been to ~300 concerts I’d guess in total.
Old October 26th, 2020, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I regularly wear a flat rim like Stevie Ray wore while playing golf. I’d like to save my ears from the amount of sun I get walking the links.
Here we go, a new nickname for Norm, we'll have to start calling him "Angel Eyes"!

Old October 26th, 2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Speaking of Stevie, my first concert was Three Dog Night @ Alpine Valley, WI (1968 or 1969?). Seems like it was sometime in the Eocene. I must have been to ~300 concerts I’d guess in total.
Norm - Three Dog Night, I always loved that band. My favorite song of theirs was their version of "Try a little tenderness". My first concert was Bob Seger, at Cobo Hall in Detroit in September 1975. If I remember correctly I think I saw him 6 times through the years. My two favorite concerts of all time were Bruce Springsteen here in St. Louis in 2008 and an all acoustic concert by Gordon Lightfoot at the Fox Theatre also in 2008. Wow, 300 concerts that's a bunch, do you have permanent hearing loss??? I've been to a bunch, but if I had to guess I know it's probably not over a hundred.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 27th, 2020 at 03:50 AM.
Old October 27th, 2020, 04:02 AM

Hats are very important

to protect you from the sun

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 27th, 2020, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

James - Hilarious, do you wear that cap daily, or is it only for special occasions.

I wear ball caps all the time, and have way too many, but here are a couple of my favorites right now.

My 442 plate

My 442 driving cap

My favorite "everyday" kickin around cap
Old October 27th, 2020, 05:16 AM

Good morning guys,
Generally just nasty out right now at 36 degrees and rain at 0700. Periods of showers are forecast throughout the day and it's only supposed to get up to around 44. Another beautiful day!

Hey, have any of you guys ever used one of the valve type oil drain plugs (pic). Thinking about possibly getting one for my 442. You never know how much wear and tear there might be on the old oil pan threads, and I was thinking getting one of these might alleviate those worries. Like Ron Popeille said, "Just set it, and forget it", unless of course the valves are prone to leakage, and then you're pissed off at throwing $26 out the window.

Hope everyone has a great day and that at least some of you are enjoying prettier weather than we are!
Old October 27th, 2020, 05:50 AM
Running On Empty

Absolutely delightful.

Old October 27th, 2020, 05:51 AM

norm, Does that mean you'd let her play through?
Old October 27th, 2020, 05:56 AM
Running On Empty

James - Oh sure...
Old October 27th, 2020, 02:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Interesting day at work. About 730 most of the lights went out. With no windows it was fairly dark in the shop. They were out for 3 hours. I kept working, as I had a hand held spotlight at my machine, but the inspector said no, need background light. He looked up the light requirements and it said flashlights, hand held lights, etc, were secondary. So I stopped. The PITA lead came over and asked why we stopped working. Can't inspect in the dark. He tried to bully us into working with flashlights but the inspector showed him the reference. Lead brought over an LED spot and said can you make this work? We taped it to the beam overhead and then used the spotlight, and the inspector said that was okay. We were at a severely reduced output, and besides that the tire retriever didn't have power and the assemblies couldn't be built. The power to the retriever came on with our lights but the front was building wheels in the dark. Not a good idea, but I have a feeling the bad lead pushed our lead into doing it. The almighty number is more important than safety.

So after work Tiger and I went to get the battery for the Saturn. I'll put it in tomorrow. It was about half what it would have been at the auto parts store. A friend of mine turned me onto this place years ago.

Chris, haven't you changed oil in your car yet? There isn't any part more lubricated on a car than the oil plug threads. Maybe the oil pump. If the plug runs in and out smoothly I'd leave it. It would make a good day bad if that valve ever started leaking and the engine started knocking before you realized. My two cents.

I'll probably hit the sack early, just because. Hump Day tomorrow. While driving this afternoon I honestly couldn't remember if I'd worked one day or two. My brain is fried.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old October 27th, 2020, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris, haven't you changed oil in your car yet? There isn't any part more lubricated on a car than the oil plug threads. Maybe the oil pump. If the plug runs in and out smoothly I'd leave it. It would make a good day bad if that valve ever started leaking and the engine started knocking before you realized. My two cents.
Mike - Sorry about the crazy day at work. Someone will REALLY be sorry if a defective part causes an accident!

Maybe you misunderstood the scenario I wrote about above? I fixed the oil drain issue I was having on our daily driver. I am suggesting the possibility of putting one of those valves on my 53-year old 442. I agree the oil drain threads and the plug are well lubed, but if the car has the original pan on it, which I believe it has, the threads in the pan have to be worn and could fail even if the plug isn't torqued all the way down to specification. I agree you could also have an issue if the valve fails or leaks, but that's what I'm asking is if anyone has any real world experience using one, and how reliable it might be over time? Thanks for your opinion of what you'd do!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 27th, 2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old October 27th, 2020, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I find it peculiar your shop/building does not have an industrial/commercial off-line diesel generator to supply electricity during grid power outages.
Old October 27th, 2020, 04:15 PM

Yes Chris, the threads can and do go bad in oil pans. I understand your point. I've never had a problem with the Olds or really any of the vehicles I've owned except for the '85 Ford 300 that's in my 56 F100. It did strip out the oil pan. Oversize plugs are available, but once you do that you cant go back of course. I would be worried about that valve you show, I'd be worried of it opening or getting hit since it would be lower.
Old October 27th, 2020, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yes Chris, the threads can and do go bad in oil pans. I understand your point. I've never had a problem with the Olds or really any of the vehicles I've owned except for the '85 Ford 300 that's in my 56 F100. It did strip out the oil pan. Oversize plugs are available, but once you do that you cant go back of course. I would be worried about that valve you show, I'd be worried of it opening or getting hit since it would be lower.
Greg - Thanks for your thoughts and opinion! That black piece on the right in the picture clips on to lock the valve lever in place, but you never know, it could work it's way off or get knocked off because like you mentioned it is lower. Haven't made a decision yet, like most things in life, there's pros and cons on each side!
Old October 27th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I don't know what they have but the entire place wasn't out, just most of TOC 3. About every fourth light worked so we weren't in darkness, but it was too dark to work safely. Apparently something in a junction box let loose last night and they fixed it, but not good enough, as it either went bad again or made something else go bad. Fourth or fifth information by the time it got to me. The original hangar was built in 1960. The big second one was built in the 60s/70s, and the third one, where I work, was built in the 80s. Maybe alternative power/generators hadn't been invented yet.

Chris I did get what you were saying. I was just giving you my opinion. I have valves similar to that on my big truck that supply the glad hands, and I'm forever trying to get them to close completely. Sometimes I'll start it up and get the low air warning because the glad hands have let all the air out of the tank. Air is one thing, motor oil is another...

Okay its close enough to 8 I'm turning in. I forgot I had to put this mousse stuff on Tiger's bad skin. It was part of the shampoo package. It was not as easy as one might think. Trying to get Tiger to do something he doesn't want to is like working with a toddler. He'll squirm and twist every way except where you want him to.

Okay good night everyone.

Old October 27th, 2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I did get what you were saying. I was just giving you my opinion. I have valves similar to that on my big truck that supply the glad hands, and I'm forever trying to get them to close completely. Sometimes I'll start it up and get the low air warning because the glad hands have let all the air out of the tank. Air is one thing, motor oil is another...
Okay good night everyone.
Thanks Mike, I just wasn't sure if you understood I was writing about the 442. I sincerely appreciate you giving me your honest opinion!
Old October 27th, 2020, 06:05 PM

I would be worried about that valve you show, I'd be worried of it opening or getting hit since it would be lower.
That was my thought as well. Eons ago my car bottomed out over some railroad tracks and scraped the oil pan quite a bit, but the drain plug, being low profile, survived. A valve like that would have sheared off for sure.
Old October 27th, 2020, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That was my thought as well. Eons ago my car bottomed out over some railroad tracks and scraped the oil pan quite a bit, but the drain plug, being low profile, survived. A valve like that would have sheared off for sure.
Thanks Kenneth, I really appreciate you guys' thoughts and opinions. You've all convinced me the valve option is not the way to go. I'll just have to be careful not to over torque a standard plug and hope for the best.
Old October 28th, 2020, 02:44 AM

Happy hump day

Old October 28th, 2020, 02:48 AM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike.......................
Old October 28th, 2020, 04:52 AM

Well I've been leaving the pic comments to myself till now.... Oh my goodness- that one is perfect or too perfect in my book. I wonder if that is photo shopped?? Ok, back to looking at cars....
Old October 28th, 2020, 05:14 AM

Good friend of mine fell the day before yesterday and got mucked up. He is always such a helpful guy and is always doing something for his friends, He went up on a ladder with a big leaf blower on his back (Big one). I think he was blowing leaves and pine needles off neighbors roof. I can't imagine he would go all the way on the roof but I don't know for sure, I never thought of him as being careless or a dare devil type,,,, Anyway he fell off the ladder and broke 6 ribs- 2 in 2 places, broke his pelvis and punctured a lung. He was alone but luckily didn't pass out and he called the neighbor who came right over and called 911. He was in the hospital all day yesterday and this morning they are supposed to cut him open and put pins in the ribs and attend to the punctured lung. WOW!! Be careful guys! We aren't as young as we used to be. I am sure he will survive this fall but I'm not sure he will be the same again. He is 68-69 years old.
Old October 28th, 2020, 05:20 AM

Wow!
Old October 28th, 2020, 05:36 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Rogers;1289570]Good friend of mine fell the day before yesterday and got mucked up.

Greg - Sorry to hear about your friend's accident, it sounds horrible and painful! We'll say a prayer for him. You're right, we're not get any younger and it sucks!
Old October 28th, 2020, 07:19 AM

Well I've been leaving the pic comments to myself till now.... Oh my goodness- that one is perfect or too perfect in my book. I wonder if that is photo shopped?? Ok, back to looking at cars....

Greg, I hate ta brake it to ya but ladies what pose fer pics like this expect comments

I was once at a mall and saw a girl wearing a t-shirt that said "Guess:" so I said "Implants" and she slapped me. My long awaited point is, I don't think photochopshop but I do think boob job
Old October 28th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work was good today. The lights stayed on, the bad lead kept to himself. We finished before 11. I took an extended lunch but then we stayed until 215. That's because my lead wasn't there.

Greg hope your friend is gonna be okay. I saw one of those meme pictures on facebook that said the number one reason for old men to get hurt was because they still think they are young men. It was meant to be funny but boy is it the truth. I still get up on the house to clean the gutters and do roof maintenance. I probably shouldn't.

Jamesbo how is the boat house? Is your lake private for the people who live on it or is it owned by the state?

Rain this morning, but it cleared up and lots of rain this evening. Hope it's quiet rain, but we're supposed to have wind as well. That isn't quiet. We'll see. I don't know when it's supposed to start. Probably right as I'm going to bed.

Okay have a good evening everyone. Two more to go.

Old October 28th, 2020, 02:46 PM

Mike, the lake is owned and controlled by Georgia Power It's not private but they [somewhat] limit access by not allowing any boat with a head or a galley.

So there's no overnite boats or island camping

My main man's wife had some emergency surgery, so the boat house is painted but still waiting for facial, soffits, and batting
Old October 28th, 2020, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

Viewable from your location this Saturday. SAMHAIN

Old October 28th, 2020, 10:51 PM

Norm, I wanted to head out to take pics of the Blue moon Saturday, but, I'm gonna hand out candy to the little buggers in the neighborhood.
Old October 29th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Good morning guys,
Our dogs got me up at 0430 this morning to go outside. Momma probably did not make them go out before bed because of heavy thunderstorms. I couldn't go back to sleep so one of the dogs and I are just reclining on the couch. We're in our 4th straight day of showers and thunderstorms forecast throughout the day. We're starting to see localized flooding and one of the two ways out of our subdivision to the closest main road is under water at one point. Luckily the other route rarely ever floods. This wet pattern is finally supposed to break tomorrow and we're supposed to get a good stretch of sunny, nice fall weather through next week, although one night it's supposed to dip into the high 20's.

No big plans for today, mainly due to this crappy weather. Starting to get a little stir crazy being stuck inside, but that should end tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 29th, 2020 at 04:47 AM.
Old October 29th, 2020, 05:52 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Norm, I wanted to head out to take pics of the Blue moon Saturday, but, I'm gonna hand out candy to the little buggers in the neighborhood.
Dan, we're supposed to have clear skies all day/night Saturday & I'm hopeful for a nice moon rise. I'm anticipating a low Trick Or Treat bugger turnout nation wide this year w/ the pandemic I suspect. We never get any because of our location - too much traffic directly in front of the house.
Old October 29th, 2020, 06:14 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Hope your friend is doing alright and managing his recovery well.
Old October 29th, 2020, 10:02 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did 100 wheels like nothing today, saw my lead headed out the door and he said, if you want to go home now I'm good with it. So I split and was home by a quarter to 12. Ate my lunch with Tiger.

Got quite a bit of rain last night, and probably wind though I didn't hear it. The streets were covered in pine needles and branches. My yard looks okay, I'm gonna go to the shop a little later and see what's going on over there. Nice out now, a little bit of sun and blue sky.

Well I'm gonna take advantage of a couple extra hours. Catch up with everyone later.

Old October 29th, 2020, 01:11 PM

I got hammered about 5:00 a.m.. Lost about 8 specimen oaks, Nothing hit any building just trees in my hardwood lot up rooted
Old October 29th, 2020, 02:23 PM

I got hammered about 5:00 a.m.. Lost about 8 specimen oaks, Nothing hit any building just trees in my hardwood lot up rooted
James - Glad to hear you're ok! Sorry to hear about the loss of your trees. I'm glad all your buildings were spared. Must have been some hellacious winds! Have you seen or heard of other substantial damage in your immediate area, and do you have power?
Old October 29th, 2020, 02:39 PM

Lost power for about 4 hours, then it turned into a bluebird day Only alot of roads were blocked with downed trees/power lines

I have some friends far away in other areas of the city 1[ had a tree wipe out 3/4 of her house and 2] another [ in the city[ neighbors house got flattened by an oak
Old October 29th, 2020, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

As much as I hate to say it, another one is lurking just off the Lesser Antilles with a better than average chance it will develop into a TS or greater and land along a U.S. coastline.

Old October 29th, 2020, 04:25 PM
Always room for one more

Turned into a right nice day. Gonna be nice but a little chilly this weekend. I need to clean out the gutters, again, I did it not too long ago but they are full of needles and leaves after last night.

I would love to have a tornado room in my house, but it isn't really set up for something like that, with the walk out basement. Without digging a giant hole in the yard some part of it would be sticking out of the ground. So here's a question for anyone who would know, if I got a prefabbed something(like a shipping container or fiberglass "bomb shelter" or built a block room and attached it to my basement, how much of it could protrude above ground and still be safe from a tornado/wind event? Would a tornado pull it out of the ground? Not sure a 20ft shipping container would be picked up and thrown around like Dorothy's house but it might tumble a couple times, they are about 9ft tall.

Coyotes in the area. People are saying watch out for your cats and small dogs. Boy I wouldn't want a coyote to come around with my big dog. That wouldn't end well for either one of them. On the one hand I have trouble with people putting out poison and shooting them, they are critters that just want to eat. But on the other hand if they are threatening my dog or my home, or me, then they must go. So much construction around their homes are done away with and they don't know what to do. Not their fault. I guess that's progress.
Old October 29th, 2020, 05:14 PM

We get coyotes in my neighborhood all the time. They cruise through looking for stuff to eat such as house cats that are left out at night. I have found numerous cat carcasses when walking the dogs. One was a declawed cat. I just can't imagine letting a declawed cat roam the neighborhood, especially at night, as it would be unable to climb a tree to get away from danger. Anyway, I'd post pictures but that may make some people uneasy and others start sending me hate mail