The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2020, 04:22 PM

Good evening guys,

James.- That's a beautiful Confederate pistol you had. If it had been mine I don't think I could have parted with it!

Norm - You had a full day of it didn't you! Nice work though! It's going to be like hitting a rock for you in the morning, you'd better wear your long johns.

As Mike said, guns, guns, guns. I grew up hunting everything, including squirrels, rabbits, quail, ruffed grouse, pheasants, turkeys, ducks, geese and whitetail deer. Starting in 1989, and thru 2006, I hunted elk and mule deer in Colorado during rifle and black powder seasons. Always lots of guns in my house growing up between my Dad's, my brother's, and mine. Here are my favorites, mostly due to sentimental value.

1975 Winchester 12 gauge side by side double barrel. A Christmas present from my parents out of the Sears & Roebuck catalog.

1988 Remington 700 ADL in Remington 7mm Magnum with a 4X10 Bausch & Lomb scope. Took my first elk with this at 200 yds in 1989 south of Gunnison on the Alpine Plateau.

Thompson Center .54 caliber Scout black powder rifle. Another Christmas present from my parents. Took my first elk with black powder in 1998 east of Crested Butte near Teocali Mountain.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 24th, 2020 at 04:27 AM.
Old November 17th, 2020, 04:31 PM

I'm on Nude Patrol.
Old November 17th, 2020, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Greg - Thanks that’s good info. I’ve followed numerous threads RE: steering boxes, mftr, ratios, under steering, caster etc. it will take me a concerted effort once I get it back on jacks. I had the alignment shop add extra caster when I rebuilt the suspension and front end. Not certain it was done exactly as I specified. One thing is for certain though, I have I’d say ~3” of free play in the steering column. The rag joint has no free play at all. Free play appears to be in the steering box.

I also want to paint my door arm rests both sides. I have absolutely no clue how that’s done. I mean I certainly know how to mask & paint, but I’m clueless on any type of paint for that type application. I am not going to buy new arm rests/door panels for faded worn paint or dye or whatever it is. I’m hoping others have painted these things before and can provide recommendations regarding prep & paint.
I purchased my steering box thru Dead Jeeps, they test items before shipping cost $90. Rag joint thru Lee engineering. Very pleased with the outcome especially being on a tight budget. Good luck however you decide.
Old November 17th, 2020, 08:14 PM

Just chillin with my 2nd best girl! Hope everyone is having a nice evening. Gonna be chilly in the morning for us with a low of 30, and only up to 50 in the afternoon. Awhile ago I said we probably wouldn't see another 70 degree day, well the weatherman is saying were headed there again on Friday. Have a great Wednesday!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 17th, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old November 17th, 2020, 10:35 PM

Its a wall hanger, and not worth restoring.
I wouldn't have it restored for the value, It's interesting, and the fact that my mother found it 80-85 years ago as a kid, and kept it, is good enough for me.
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:06 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
My Griswald and Gunnison [made during the recent unpleasantness] has serial numbers [hand stamped]

James - Danger Will Robinson! Spelling ****! Sam's name is Griswold. I didn't know there was a Griswoldville until I looked up Griswold. On several occasions I have climbed Stone Mountain (I stayed at the Inn once) I have always enjoyed visiting the Stone Mountain Visitor Center & watching Sherman's March to the Sea on the electronic board they have set up which lights up the various locations during Sherman's March to the Sea.

I'm curious about something. The original design reproduction of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver developed & produced by Griswold was called the Griswold and Grier Revolver later called the Griswold Gunnison. Is there a method by which you can determine, perhaps by serial number(s), if a revolver was made during the period it was referred to as the Griswold and Grier Revolver or the Griswold Gunnison? Just curious. Nice revolver - used in Hell On Wheels (TV Series), eh?
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:11 AM

Chris, Nice model 21

If the truth be known, I go completely bat $hit crazy collecting something, then get bored and move on to go bat $hit crazy collecting something else

Cannon *****, mini *****,, confederate pistols, calvary sabers, Springfield muskets,Pre 64 Winchesters It's kinda like my 69 H/O, I had it, I enjoyed it, but it's water under the bridge, I don't need another one

Old November 18th, 2020, 04:13 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - It's going to be like hitting a rock for you in the morning, you'd better wear your long johns.
Chris - I ventured outdoors an hour ago & you're correct. Temperature was 39°F winds out of the North @ 15mph gusting to 28mph. It's always the wind which knocks the dog out of you. With that said no golf for me today. It's wonderfully sunny - but too cold for golf.
You hunted much like I learned to hunt, except I've never hunted large game outside of white-tailed deer. I love those rifles & shotguns. The Thompson Center .54 caliber Scout black powder rifle I really like.
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:23 AM
Running On Empty

...calvary sabers...
James - A better chance they were used by the cavalry on cavalry sabers.
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:37 AM

Chris, Nice model 21

If the truth be known, I go completely bat $hit crazy collecting something, then get bored and move on to go bat $hit crazy collecting something else

Cannon *****, mini *****,, confederate pistols, calvary sabers, Springfield muskets,Pre 64 Winchesters It's kinda like my 69 H/O, I had it, I enjoyed it, but it's water under the bridge, I don't need another one
James - Thanks for the compliment on the Winchester. Shot many a bird with that one. My brother owned, bred, and sold German Short-haired pointers. Nothing any more fun than bird hunting under good dogs, and his were the best. My gun was just a field grade version, but like I said, the sentimental aspect of it is why it's one of my favorites.

Wow, what a collection of guns you've had through the years! I love all those older rifles and/or muskets. Looks like there might have been some Sharps carbines in that rack, those are cool. They have a really nice collection of armaments at the St. Louis history museum that I always like to check out
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:41 AM

Norm, Pic isn't mine. I am not an authority But I've been told told someone took a bull dozier and a dump truck down to Griswoldville, and scooped up all the dirt around where the old pistol factory was located just to find parts with a metal detector.. I've seen exactly 1 iron frame Griswald. Most are brass and are usually identified by twisted iron cylinders. They had to twist the cylinder to add strength much like a damascus barrel shotgun. Later, I can look up the serial numbers in a book I have

Most of the Confederate revolvers are the design of the 1851 Navy except for the material used they look very similar [except for the Dance that kinda a chopped up 1860 Colt] and the Spiller and Burr [which resembles a Whitney Revolver]

FWIW, During the recent unpleasantness some of the factories were moved several times, If you look up a Richmond hump back rife, and compare it to an 1855 Harpers ferry rife. You'll see where the hump came from. The machinery was stolen from Harpers Ferry and moved to Richmond
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:45 AM

No Sharps, All are Springfield Armory [with a few experimental] from the revolution, 1812, Mexican, Civil, Spanish American, [ alot of trap door variations ]WW I WW II Korean wars

Oh and 1 Harpers Ferry Mississippi Rife [cause it's pretty]
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:47 AM
Running On Empty

James - Wow. That's something else. They dug up dirt from the old pistol factory in Griswoldville looking for parts w/ a metal detector? I'm not sure anyone would found any parts associated with the barrel since the barrel was twisted hardened brass and non-metallic. But, many other parts I'm sure were made from iron. It would have been fun to be on that field trip.
Old November 18th, 2020, 04:55 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm did you bust up the whole landing or just the place around where the post goes? I like your wooden porch. People these days basically build a deck on the front of the house, with spacing between the floor boards and I don't think it looks right. Tongue in groove boards with about 10 coats of paint on them, that looks right.
Mike - I removed an area ~2 sq.ft. The house was built 1930. No one really did any degree of maintenance on the home (two owners - a master boat builder built the home and then sold the home to the second owner who remained in the home from 1935 - 2008). I purchased the home in 2001, gutted it, shaved off all the old paint from the exterior down to wood. The porch is original - I installed the underlying brick & built the porch/stair railing there was no railings on the porch. I had to remove 1/2 of the floor joists & tongue & groove flooring ~4 years ago as the floor joists were giving way to rot.

Old November 18th, 2020, 04:56 AM

Norm, I'm not one of them but there are Some HARD CORE collector that wear jeweler's eye wear [what ever ya call the thing over your head ] at gun shows [Sorta Joe P of the civil war stuff]

The barrel wasn't brass the frame was.The cylibder was twisted iron . I have no idea what they found but the were much more serious than I will ever be

BTW, My books [Confederate Revolver- Gary] says Griswold and Grier is a misnomer and all Confederate Records refer to Griswold and Gunnison as the maker of the 2 models [one with round barrel and one with Hex]

Grier was Griswold son in law and an attorney, At 1st he was active in the management but later on wasn't

When ya finish with your house, mine could use some help Nice work
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:06 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, I'm not one of them but there are Some HARD CORE collector that wear jeweler's eye wear [what ever ya call the thing over your head ] at gun shows [Sorta Joe P of the civil war stuff]
The barrel wasn't brass the frame was. I have no idea what tehy found but the were much more serious than I will ever be
I'm sure there are some serious Joe P aficionados at those collector shows.
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:06 AM

Chris - I ventured outdoors an hour ago & you're correct. Temperature was 39°F winds out of the North @ 15mph gusting to 28mph. It's always the wind which knocks the dog out of you. With that said no golf for me today. It's wonderfully sunny - but too cold for golf.
You hunted much like I learned to hunt, except I've never hunted large game outside of white-tailed deer. I love those rifles & shotguns. The Thompson Center .54 caliber Scout black powder rifle I really like.
Norm - Sometimes discretion really is the better part of Valor. It really is too cold for golf, it's no fun if you're cold. Thanks for the compliment on the Thompson. My Dad knew I had wanted to start black powder hunting in Colorado and researched various models and picked that one for me. That model Thompson in .54 caliber vs. the traditional .50, and having the shorter carbine style, is perfectly designed for chasing elk at or above the treeline in the Rockies. You're not allowed to use a scope during black powder season in Colorado, but no matter, I could still shoot a 5-inch group at 100-yards with the open sights.

Odd thing, in all the years I hunted during regular rifle season before I started black powder hunting out there, I never saw any dangerous game. First year out there black powder hunting I had a Black Bear come within 30-yards of me, and the next year a Mountain Lion at about the same distance. The Black Bear sighting did not bother me much, but the Moumtain Lion sighting really unnerved me sitting there with only 1-shot at my disposal. After that I started carrying my 1911 Model .45 ACP as a backup if I was hunting in an area with a lion population.
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:20 AM

Chris, 1911 ACP is the best gun ever made, Never leave home w/o one
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:42 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Tent camping @ Jasper National Park, Canada for two weeks I awoke daily to several herds (20-30/herd) of Elk 20' from my tent. I encountered a pissed off cinnamon bear about 100 yards from me running across the Canada ice shields highway (Highway 93, Banff-Windermere Parkway) when tourists got out to take pictures of it. People are crazy. Honestly, at that distance if appeared more like a grizzly bear in it's stance and running style, and the nature of it's stance when it turned about ~100' off the highway to look at the tourists. I was pretty much checking the dampness in my pants at this point. Both bears have varying degrees of coloration. I encountered a real grizzly about the same distance meandering around a large flat-bottom stream a week later. That was a serious scare for me. Walking down ~1.5 miles from a Mtn. top one early morning I encountered about 5-6 black bear eating in the woods ~50' from where I was walking. I saw them all get up and stand on their haunches as they all looked at me in unison. I nodded my head and continued walking. My most interesting encounter occurred in my 1967 442 in 1971. A friend and me had just dropped off some girl friends of ours in St. Pete, FL after driving down from Illinois. We were driving across Alligator Alley at night from Naples>Plantation - maybe 10:00pm. During this time, Alligator Alley was basically a seriously pot marked beaten up old asphalt road not uncommon to see several hundred large alligators alongside the road and crossing the road at any time of day - especially at night. Then, it happened - to our surprise a black panther darted across the road from the South to the North.
Old November 18th, 2020, 06:09 AM

Never have seen anything dangerous in the woods except rattle snakes

Chris, I used to bird [quail]] hunt alot down around Thomasville Ga. One day we were following my pointers [English] when I heard a loud scream. Seems like a coupled were having a go at it in the woods with the car doors open and one of my pointers jump in the open door and over the couple and out the other one

I never got to apologize, the left in a cloud of dust
Old November 18th, 2020, 06:15 AM
Running On Empty

All Kimber Super Carry Ultra + 45 ACP 1911 Pistols are custom hand-made w/ a six month wait period. I ordered this one about 10 years ago. I sold it this summer. It is by far the most accurate pistol I have ever owned. Spot-on, dead-on accurate. I had to emery cloth the magazine cartridge elevator to get the firing action smoothed out. I found Winchester ammunition would hang. It did not happen with Remington or Hornady. Smoothing the elevator is a good thing anyways so no harm done there. I used to carry it as my only go-to CCW.

My current CCW weapon is a S&W Airweight .38 Model 642 DAO 5-shot revolver sporting a 1 & 7/8" barrel. It weights a total of 15 ounces unloaded. It is not very accurate. However, I made the decision years ago that a self-defense weapon (for me at least) does not need to be accurate. I'm not planning to defend myself at a distance and it's not like I'm going after someone. I would never point a weapon at anyone - I would never draw a weapon out of its holster or otherwise unless I planned to kill that person. That person would be ~10' to 20' from me. So, in my manner of thinking, I don't need a 45 ACP 1911 with unmatched accuracy at 100'. This little Airweight is awesome w/ Hornady hollow points discharged from this weapon have exceptional expansion.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 18th, 2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old November 18th, 2020, 06:27 AM
Running On Empty

One day we were following my pointers [English] when I heard a loud scream. Seems like a coupled were having a go at it in the woods with the car doors open and one of my pointers jump in the open door and over the couple and out the other one.
Love it. Bang the Gong, Baby! LMFAO
Old November 18th, 2020, 06:42 AM

Chris - Tent camping @ Jasper National Park, Canada for two weeks I awoke daily to several herds (20-30/herd) of Elk 20' from my tent. I encountered a pissed off cinnamon bear about 100 yards from me running across the Canada ice shields highway (Highway 93, Banff-Windermere Parkway) when tourists got out to take pictures of it. People are crazy. Honestly, at that distance if appeared more like a grizzly bear in it's stance and running style, and the nature of it's stance when it turned about ~100' off the highway to look at the tourists. I was pretty much checking the dampness in my pants at this point. Both bears have varying degrees of coloration. I encountered a real grizzly about the same distance meandering around a large flat-bottom stream a week later. That was a serious scare for me. Walking down ~1.5 miles from a Mtn. top one early morning I encountered about 5-6 black bear eating in the woods ~50' from where I was walking. I saw them all get up and stand on their haunches as they all looked at me in unison. I nodded my head and continued walking. My most interesting encounter occurred in my 1967 442 in 1971. A friend and me had just dropped off some girl friends of ours in St. Pete, FL after driving down from Illinois. We were driving across Alligator Alley at night from Naples>Plantation - maybe 10:00pm. During this time, Alligator Alley was basically a seriously pot marked beaten up old asphalt road not uncommon to see several hundred large alligators alongside the road and crossing the road at any time of day - especially at night. Then, it happened - to our surprise a black panther darted across the road from the South to the North.
Norm - Great stories, I would have loved to have seen that Black Panther! Boy you sure have had some travels, I'm envious!

A little more on my Moumtain Lion encounter and why I was pretty much scared sh@$less. The evening before I had glassed a meadow about 300-yards from me and watched a bull and his harem move in to feed just before sundown. Knowing they'd probably feed and then bed down there for the night, I got up there the next morning well before light and set up about 30-yards off the edge of the meadow sitting under a low hanging pine where I still would have a view of the meadow.. Because the Colorado black powder season occurs during the middle of September there is a good chance the elk will be in rut. With this being the case, it never hurts to plant some cotton ***** soaked in cow elk in estrus urine around your location and even sprinkle some on your own clothing to potentially lure a bull to your location and to mask your own scent. At dawn, I blew my cow elk call in hope of a bull thinking one of his cows had wandered off, and he would come to round her up. Shortly after that was when I saw the Mountain Lion in my peripheral vision moving from my right towards the meadow. I figured he'd heard my call too and thought he might find an early breakfast. My only saving grace was I was downwind from him, and was well hidden under that low hanging pine. I watched him as he moved into the meadow and then he was gone. I did not move for several hours, but later that morning I followed the direction he had went into the meadow and sure as crap the elk had bedded down there evidenced by fresh urine and feces in the beds. Don't know if he scared them out of their beds, but I do know he scared me and ruined my hunt that morning! P.S., the camouflaged coveralls with the cow elk urine sprinkled on them, Do Not go back into the tent, under any circumstances!
Old November 18th, 2020, 06:58 AM
Running On Empty

So, look. I'm all about hunting. I've been an avid hunter most of my life. I guess I don't find any wisdom or inherent reason to take down a Mountain Lion. Especially when you've just tagged an Elk. I'm not one of the Good Old Boys in this respect.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 18th, 2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: sp
Old November 18th, 2020, 06:58 AM

One day we were following my pointers [English] when I heard a loud scream. Seems like a coupled were having a go at it in the woods with the car doors open and one of my pointers jump in the open door and over the couple and out the other one

I never got to apologize, the left in a cloud of dust
Hilarious James, I love it!!!
Old November 18th, 2020, 07:11 AM

So, look. I'm all about hunting. I've been an avid hunter most of my life. I guess I don't find any wisdom or inherent reason to take down a Mountain Lion. Especially when you're just tagged an Elk. I'm not one of the Good Old Boys in this respect.

https://youtu.be/ZuJcgelBQcg
Norm - I've never had any desire to hunt any big cats. They're actually my favorite wild animals, and just too beautiful and special to kill. Tigers are my favorite. When I was younger and much more into hunting than I am now, I thought at one time I would like to hunt dangerous game, primarily Kodiaks in Alaska, and Cape Buffalo in Africa. Now I have no desire to do either one. I would however like to go on a reputable and safe African photo safari. It would be so neat to see elephants, rhinos, cape buffalo, lions, cheetahs and all the other African animals in the wild.
Old November 18th, 2020, 07:29 AM

I'm kinda like y'all, I used to want to do alot of things I no longer care to do. I don't think anyone but an elephant needs tusks.

I have a few friends that did the Africa killing spree. IMHO it's stupid too much money and not enough common sense. I've been told to kill an Ovis Poli [ Marco Polo sheep] ,It's 40 grand , If I had an extra 40 K I'd give it to Saint Judes hospital not kill some exotic sheep and hang iit on the wall

Nothing like duck in a gumbo [or salad for that matter] unfortunately quail [and grouse] hunting has all but disappear around here. My grand father used to shoot enough quail in one morning for a church dinner [with the model 12 hanging in the wooden box] The gun has 2 sets of barrels one for quail and one for doves. He never shot a deer in his life Now Georgia is over run with them. If someone doesn't thin out the deer herds, the cars will
Old November 18th, 2020, 08:32 AM

I'm kinda like y'all, I used to want to do alot of things I no longer care to do.

Nothing like duck in a gumbo [or salad for that matter] unfortunately quail [and grouse] hunting has all but disappear around here. My grand father used to shoot enough quail in one morning for a church dinner [with the model 12 hanging in the wooden box] The gun has 2 sets of barrels one for quail and one for doves. He never shot a deer in his life Now Georgia is over run with them. If someone doesn't thin out the deer herds, the cars will
James - I agree with you. Pheasants, ruffed grouse, and quail were all still pretty plentiful in my area of southern Michigan in the 60's and 70's. Not sure what it's like now? Since my brother had National Field Trial Champion dogs, he came up with a great idea that allowed him to hunt in the best areas throughout North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas for free. He contacted the owners of large private shooting preserves in these states and told them he could shoot a promo video of their enterprise with the owner and my brother hunting with his dogs. All my brother asked for was to keep the game from the shoot, and for the owner to pay for his travel, food, lodging, and video expenses. My brother's wife did the videos and she was good at it. He'd tell the owners if they weren't 100% satisfied they weren't obligated to pay, but they always were. Like I said before, it would be worth it just to see his dogs work. By the way, in addition to being great upland bird dogs, many of his German Short-hairs were good duck dogs and retrieved well from a boat.

Dad and Tim with pheasant haul and Thor.

Dad and Tim with duck haul and Thor. Hard to tell the duck types, pic taken from an old hardcooy that wasn't too good to begin with.

Dad and Tim, with Thor on the far left and Venus on the far right. Not sure of the name of the one in the middle. Thor and Venus were his two Field Trial Champions.
Old November 18th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Old November 18th, 2020, 09:44 AM

Nothing like duck in a gumbo
You got my attention with that. I agree, duck gumbo is far superior to yard bird, and if you like sausage in it, homemade venison sausage.
Old November 18th, 2020, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
You got my attention with that. I agree, duck gumbo is far superior to yard bird, and if you like sausage in it, homemade venison sausage.

Good, Mike likes food a whole lot more than guns. we don't wanta run him off
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I wouldn't have it restored for the value, It's interesting, and the fact that my mother found it 80-85 years ago as a kid, and kept it, is good enough for me.
In that case, I'd not 'restore' it, but keep it as is anyways. Things are only original once.
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:45 PM

I can add to this show and tell. This is my humble collection of 20th century war rifles.

From top to bottom:

1938 Soviet Mosin Nagant 91/30 (I have the bayonet somewhere)
1936 Japanese Arisaka type 99
1914 British Enfield SMLE
1938 German Mauser 98k

Bottom is a cheesy reproduction of the sword from Highlander.
Old November 18th, 2020, 02:53 PM

Curvewrecker, I love the WW II stuff. I'm curious I notice the Arisaka doesn't have the mono pod that folds up under the forehand. Does it still have the mum on the receiver? I'm told, we [the U.S.]ground them off as it was a symbol of the Emperior

I could be wrong but it look's like ya got the Jap bayonet and the British bayonet on the wrong rifles

I loved collecting all the "Stuff' [bayonets;, slings, dust cover etc. that went with the guns
Old November 18th, 2020, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
I can add to this show and tell. This is my humble collection of 20th century war rifles.

From top to bottom:

1938 Soviet Mosin Nagant 91/30 (I have the bayonet somewhere)
1936 Japanese Arisaka type 99
1914 British Enfield SMLE
1938 German Mauser 98k

Bottom is a cheesy reproduction of the sword from Highlander.
CW - Really nice collection of military rifles! Thanks for sharing!
Old November 18th, 2020, 03:26 PM

The bayonets are on the correct rifles. The Enfield bayonet is (unfortunately) a reproduction, but everything else is original.
The Arisaka bayonet is genuine, and cost more than the rifle. The Arisaka has it Mum ground off, no monopod, no aircraft sights, no dust cover. I have only two rounds of ammo for the type 99, and its the only rifle I own that I've never actually fired ( not yet!). I'm waiting on 100 rounds of 7.7 ammo for it, but it hasn't arrived yet.
The Soviet, British, and German rifles all shoot great. The Mauser is a particularly nice shooter.
Old November 18th, 2020, 03:38 PM

Curvewrecker. Vey nice collection. I guess I got the hooked guard on the bayonets confused. Thanks for posting
Old November 18th, 2020, 05:42 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work was easy today. Left around 1 and came home to get Tiger and we both went down to check out the place. It wasn't as nice as I thought it would be but still a decent place. It was a good hour back up to the airport. Most things are a half hour away, like a veterinarian and shopping. I like rural but this one I'll have to think on.

Maybe I could get a 50 cal and mount it to the Deuce. I have the ring for it. That wouldn't get any attention driving down the street.

Okay I'm beat. That was a long ride down there and back. I'm gonna hit the sack. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old November 18th, 2020, 10:30 PM

Curvewrecker,

Bayonets [ and the other stuff] really add to your collection. you may notice a "trowel bayonet" on a trapdoor in the pic, It was actually used as an entrenching tool. Further to the right is a rare Krag "Bowie bayonet:" Oddly enough, one of the rarest I have is a plastic parade bayonet. [because every kid tore up one in his back yard]

Many years ago [ In college] I bought a 98 in a pawn shop [to murder Bambi] when I fired it, the bolt wouldn't open. With out firing the bolt worked perfectly. Come to find out the chamber had BAD pitting and the cartridge would expand into it making it near impossible to extract

Mike, When I was in high school, some kids [I didn't know[ had a wooden mocked up 50 cal that they cruised the Varsity in

Old November 19th, 2020, 04:13 AM
Running On Empty

...a "trowel bayonet"...was actually used as an entrenching tool.
It was used to dig a trench.

James - You have some very cool & interesting items.