The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2020, 05:34 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - we have Spectrum. The old TWC, the old Charter - the same monopoly.
Old October 18th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

I’m considering going commando on the Cable TV providers. These guys are out of control. I have several friends who own their own satellite dishes. They own their own black boxes, as well. They pay about $200 to have their black box chip programmed with the satellite download feed filters. Not only do they get every single channel on Earth, but they can change which camera they want and which audio feed they want for any live broadcast. Now that’s the type of cable TV I want.
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Yes available vacuum affects idle. You should adjust your Holley carb A/F mixture for the highest achievable vacuum using a vacuum gauge. Whatever you get will be the highest achievable. It could be as high as 20”Hg or as high as 14”Hg. My suggestion is to ensure your vacuum is adjusted to the highest available vacuum you can achieve by making the appropriate adjustments to your A/F mixture.
Norm - Thank you. Can you tell me how the vacuum collected in the vacuum collector plays into that equation? Should I only try to adjust the A/F mixture to the highest acievableable vacuum after the vacuum collector has had ample time to store vacuum to it's maximum capacity, or is the function of the collector totally independent of the maximum achievable vacuum? I would think the maximum achievable vacuum would be a combination of the real time output of the motor, plus the reserve in the collector? Just trying to understand the entire system.
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:22 PM

I’m considering going commando on the Cable TV providers. These guys are out of control. I have several friends who own their own satellite dishes. They own their own black boxes, as well. They pay about $200 to have their black box chip programmed with the satellite download feed filters. Not only do they get every single channel on Earth, but they can change which camera they want and which audio feed they want for any live broadcast. Now that’s the type of cable TV I want.
Norm - We only use Spectrum for the internet, which is basically our only viable option in our area. Like you mentioned, Spectrum's television service was out of control on their prices. We bought a couple of those "Firesticks" and we are using the Hulu tv service for $40 a month and it has everything we need. You might want to check out their lineup as a possible option?
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

I understand the change to front disc brakes and the role of the collector, although I’ve never used one. The first car I ever owned was a ‘67 4-4-2 w/ the 400 cid (back in 1969).

Anyways, my understanding is this, and I could be mistaken. Each device which requires vacuum must be hooked up when establishing the highest vacuum achievable since the highest vacuum which can be attained is dependent on the A/F mixture ratio. I would suspect the collector has a diaphragm much like the brake booster? I don’t know honestly. But vacuum is not escaping (rendered or being applied to the brake system) when you adjust A/F mixture. The brake booster remains under vacuum as you adjust the A/F mixture to achieve the highest vacuum achievable. I suspect there is no demand applied to the collector while adjusting A/F mixture just as there is no demand applied to the brake booster while adjusting A/F mixture. Does that make sense?
Old October 18th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Running On Empty

Ah, it’s late and sleepy time. I realized I said diaphragm when comparing brake booster to vacuum collector when I should have said check valve instead. The brake booster maintains a vacuum via the check valve and I suspect the vacuum collector uses the same type check valve to maintain vacuum.
Old October 18th, 2020, 07:21 PM

I understand the change to front disc brakes and the role of the collector, although I’ve never used one. The first car I ever owned was a ‘67 4-4-2 w/ the 400 cid (back in 1969).

Anyways, my understanding is this, and I could be mistaken. Each device which requires vacuum must be hooked up when establishing the highest vacuum achievable since the highest vacuum which can be attained is dependent on the A/F mixture ratio. I would suspect the collector has a diaphragm much like the brake booster? I don’t know honestly. But vacuum is not escaping (rendered or being applied to the brake system) when you adjust A/F mixture. The brake booster remains under vacuum as you adjust the A/F mixture to achieve the highest vacuum achievable. I suspect there is no demand applied to the collector while adjusting A/F mixture just as there is no demand applied to the brake booster while adjusting A/F mixture. Does that make sense?
Norm - Yes, what you are saying makes sense, and I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that when the motor is initially started, I believe the vacuum collector is immediately scavenging vacuum off of the intake manifold until it reaches it's maximum capacity. Upon initial start-up, and until the collector is full, there will be a vacuum drain on the intake affecting highest achievable vacuum and thereby affecting idle. If I am correct in this, it would explain what I am observing with my idle. At initial start-up the idle is rough, and then after about 5 minutes (perhaps the amount of time the collector needs to fill and is no longer scavenging vacuum) it smooths out to what I would consider a perfect lopey muscle car idle that is not struggling. Does this make sense? If that's truly the case, it may be something I just have to live with, because if I set the initial idle higher, it may idle too high after the collector is filled. Of course that is something I could experiment with.
Old October 19th, 2020, 03:46 AM

We now have 300 channels with nothing worth a hoot on them. IMHO TV was better when we only had 3 channels and rabbit ears. I have Comcast here and Dish in the mountains both go UP Up UP and get worse, worse, worse

Although I enjoy certain scenes in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". It not exactly and epic film And I flatly refuse to pay to see a movie [example ] The Great Escape that has been out for 30 years, I did however pay to watch "Ford vs. Ferrari" too many timeshttps://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/ford-vs-ferrari-the-real-story-behind-the-most-bitter-rivalry-in-auto-racing/

Just my 3 cents on the movie Ken Miles wasn't as crazy as the movie made him out to be and Carrol Shelby was crazier than the movie made him out to be

Norm when ya figure out how to beat them please share

8:30 Tee time

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 19th, 2020, 04:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Yes, what you are saying makes sense, and I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that when the motor is initially started, I believe the vacuum collector is immediately scavenging vacuum off of the intake manifold until it reaches it's maximum capacity. Upon initial start-up, and until the collector is full, there will be a vacuum drain on the intake affecting highest achievable vacuum and thereby affecting idle. If I am correct in this, it would explain what I am observing with my idle. At initial start-up the idle is rough, and then after about 5 minutes (perhaps the amount of time the collector needs to fill and is no longer scavenging vacuum) it smooths out to what I would consider a perfect lopey muscle car idle that is not struggling. Does this make sense? If that's truly the case, it may be something I just have to live with, because if I set the initial idle higher, it may idle too high after the collector is filled. Of course that is something I could experiment with.
Chris - I'm following you & what you're stating makes sense to me. I'm not certain it's worth a complete deep-dive into much more diagnostics if the car runs great after what you suspect is the amount of time to fill the vacuum canister. I know there are a fair number of vacuum collectors on the market and maybe it's inherent to the type collector you have? I really don't know for certain. Simply addressing your initial question regarding does available vacuum affect idle speed I'd still say yes.

TEST: Disconnect the vacuum collector & plug the vacuum hoses to/from the collector. Does the same rough idle hold true w/o the vacuum collector?

Old October 19th, 2020, 04:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
We now have 300 channels with nothing worth a hoot on them. IMHO TV was better when we only had 3 channels and rabbit ears. I have Comcast here and Dish in the mountains both go UP Up UP and get worse, worse, worse
Although I enjoy certain scenes in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". It not exactly and epic film And I flatly refuse to pay to see a movie [example ] The Great Escape that has been out for 30 years, I did however pay to watch "Ford vs. Ferrari" too many timeshttps://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/ford-vs-ferrari-the-real-story-behind-the-most-bitter-rivalry-in-auto-racing/
Just my 3 cents on the movie Ken Miles wasn't as crazy as the movie made him out to be and Carrol Shelby was crazier than the movie made him out to be
Norm when ya figure out how to beat them please share
8:30 Tee time
Have a great day Olds friends
I hate cable providers. Nothing more than 300 channels of crud on all of them. You have to purchase a bundled package - which has 20 stations of home network shopping? Are you kidding me? You should be able to buy what channels you want - one at a time. The commercials on these channels is unbelievable. I disconnected my cable TV over 2 years ago - I only have Internet service - I am so fed up with cable TV. To get the Golf Channel I have to buy a particular package with more gobbledy gook than I want. Yes, a roof antenna and/or rabbit ears is a better solution. I watch my news via selective Internet websites, I don't need the myriad of crud cable TV delivers.
Old October 19th, 2020, 05:05 AM

Chris - I'm following you & what you're stating makes sense to me. I'm not certain it's worth a complete deep-dive into much more diagnostics if the car runs great after what you suspect is the amount of time to fill the vacuum canister. I know there are a fair number of vacuum collectors on the market and maybe it's inherent to the type collector you have? I really don't know for certain. Simply addressing your initial question regarding does available vacuum affect idle speed I'd still say yes.

TEST: Disconnect the vacuum collector & plug the vacuum hoses to/from the collector. Does the same rough idle hold true w/o the vacuum collector?
Norm - Thanks again. Certainly the "Test" you suggested above should isolate if the collector system is the probable cause of the initial rough idle. I honestly didn't think of that as a way to isolate the cause. I would still like to check and tune my A/F at some point to ensure I'm generating maximum achievable vacuum as you originally suggested. I don’t own a vacuum gauge, but my best riding buddy is a real gearhead and I know he'd bring his over and help me mess with it. He did the complete frame off restoration of his 66 Vette himself with the exception of the paint job. He also went with me to Michigan to help me inspect and test drive my car before I bought it to make sure I was buying something that in his opinion was mechanically sound. Good to have friends with skills and knowledge you don’t have! Have a great day!
Old October 19th, 2020, 05:07 AM

--Chris, by vacuum collector are you talking about the vacuum reservoir tank? Lots of older cars had them including my 71. Some of the old 70's Fords had one made out of a coffee can- looked just like one! I don't know if your 67 has one. Mine looks like a ball about 3-4 " in diameter, on firewall I think. Anyway do you have a "fast idle" setup on your carb? All the older carb equipped cars in the day had one. This was to increase the throttle opening when car was still cold. Even the older manual chokes had it. They were usually on a ramp or cam that would step up the linkage when the choke plate was less than fully open. Instead of the idle screw controlling the idle speed as it does when warm, another "fast idle" adjustment screw riding on the cam or ramp holds the throttle a little higher. Well, maybe I'm all off base on that, but if you don't have a fast idle car will barely run or die until it's warm...
-- Well got the boats all put away, Yesterday it rained all day so watched TV- can't stand to do that another day. You guys are talking about cable tv and such... I just have a antenna. Well at least I know what I'm getting and I know how much it will cost... nothing...
Old October 19th, 2020, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Chris, by vacuum collector are you talking about the vacuum reservoir tank? .
Hi Greg - Yes, it is a vacuum reservoir, but mine is aftermarket made by Comp Cams and intended to support the aggressive Comp Cam that was installed as part of the complete motor rebuild in 2016. You can see the reservoir above the driver side fender well in the attached picture. As for the "idle screw", my 2016 Holley Street Demon carb only has one idle screw that I know of and I have carefully read through all the literature. I can adjust the idle screw so that the car will run smoother upon initial start-up, but then it will idle to fast after warming up for a few minutes. I think I'm just going to have to live with the rough idle for a few minutes after initial start-up, and love the way it runs all the other time! Thanks for the response!

Old October 19th, 2020, 06:04 AM
Running On Empty

You guys are talking about cable tv and such... I just have a antenna. Well at least I know what I'm getting and I know how much it will cost... nothing...
And, that sounds like the perfect set up, Greg. Hopefully the FM radio antenna signal still working in the barn for you?
Old October 19th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Running On Empty

I've been working on fall/autumn yard/landscape activities. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous here and it looks to remain the same for the next several weeks - daytime highs ~70°F - 75°F, nighttime lows ~60°F - 65°F. Every window in the house is open.
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:09 AM

I've been working on fall/autumn yard/landscape activities. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous here and it looks to remain the same for the next several weeks - daytime highs ~70°F - 75°F, nighttime lows ~60°F - 65°F. Every window in the house is open.
Ok, ok, Norm, rub it in! Overcast with intermittent showers all day here and not supposed to get above 50, with an overnight low of 39. It's supposed to get nicer each of the next 3 days and be back up to 84 on Thursday. The typical StL fall roller coaster weather.

My wife and I just got back from her annual physical. The doc found a nodule on her thyroid and she is going to need to have an ultrasound of it next Monday, and then possibly a biopsy. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed and saying our prayers until then, I know she's already worried.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:36 AM

Tis that time of year. As I type the fertilizer truck is spreading fertilizer on the horse pasture. Tomorrow drill in new seeds
wait for rain

Norm, Played like a goat but hit a 3 wood 190 yards out of a fairway bunker on a par five. Wish I could chew gum and walk at the same time. My Towards was off.

Chris Good luck with your wife's biopsy.;
Old October 19th, 2020, 11:02 AM

As for the "idle screw", my 2016 Holley Street Demon carb only has one idle screw that I know of and I have carefully read through all the literature.
I found this in a web search.

Also look at Page 9 of this document:
https://documents.holley.com/lit701rev10.pdf

Last edited by Fun71; October 19th, 2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old October 19th, 2020, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I found this in a web search.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BTiXcMHdXM

Also look at Page 9 of this document:
https://documents.holley.com/lit701rev10.pdf
Thanks Kenneth, I'll definitely check these out!
Old October 19th, 2020, 01:23 PM
Running On Empty

James - 190 yds 3-wood out of the bunker? Sweet. I played @ 11:11am this morning: 40/42
Chris - I hope your wife manages this OK. If I'm not mistaken, a thyroid nodule, while not a walk in the park, can be a very simple procedure and removes the entire growth - possibly the thyroid gland, as well; but, generally speaking I believe that nodule is "contained". My Mom had her thyroid gland removed with no issues. Good luck w/ it. Those links Kenneth tossed up are great.
Just a very slight fall/autumn drizzle right now as this moderate front moves through the area. Tee time tomorrow 11:14am.
Old October 19th, 2020, 02:28 PM

It would have been sweet if I had paid more attention where the green was. I focused on getting it over a dip in the front of the lip of the bunker unfortunately getting over that lip was the easy part
Old October 19th, 2020, 02:52 PM

James - 190 yds 3-wood out of the bunker? Sweet. I played @ 11:11am this morning: 40/42
Chris - I hope your wife manages this OK. If I'm not mistaken, a thyroid nodule, while not a walk in the park, can be a very simple procedure and removes the entire growth - possibly the thyroid gland, as well; but, generally speaking I believe that nodule is "contained". My Mom had her thyroid gland removed with no issues. Good luck w/ it. Those links Kenneth tossed up are great.
Just a very slight fall/autumn drizzle right now as this moderate front moves through the area. Tee time tomorrow 11:14am.
Norm - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife! Her doctor didn't seem to be overly concerned so hopefully it will be no big deal. Yes, the links Kenneth provided will be invaluable to me going forward. One of the first things I noted was in the pdf. document it stated to not even attempt to tune the idle mixture screws or set the curb idle until the car has reached an operating temperature of 160 degrees. Well, the car is already idling perfectly by the time it gets to that temp. However, the fast idle screw affecting the operation of the choke may be able to be adjusted to take out the initial roughness. I'll have to play with it, that's half the fun of having it.
Old October 19th, 2020, 03:17 PM

Old October 19th, 2020, 03:20 PM

James - Thank you also for your well wishes for my wife, much appreciated! Hopefully the ultrasound will show there isn't even a need for them to do a biopsy. Keeping our fingers crossed and one step at a time.
Old October 19th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Running On Empty

This evening, for my next act, I'm going to hang from the Sears Tower in Chicago and demand to speak with Jerry Springer.
Old October 19th, 2020, 06:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Monday Monday. Not bad at work, came home and tinkered on the Corvair a little. I'm going to have to get creative on how I can lift up the back end of the car with both wheels hanging down at the same time, all the while being safe for me to work underneath.

Chris prayers that your wife doesn't have anything serious. Positive thoughts!

Norm you gonna hang from one of the antenna's? Years ago they installed windows that actually stuck out from the side of the observation deck, so you could "step outside of" the building and look straight down. I was in a building in Melbourne(AU) that had a thing where you paid a lot of money, got in this room, and the whole room moved out from the building, about 20 feet. The whole room including the floor was glass and you could see the metal framework. There was a guy in our group who wouldn't walk across the glass floor, he'd only step where the metal beams were. He was scared to death, it would have been funny but I wasn't too happy about things myself. I wouldn't have done it except my friends insisted.

Tired tonight and I have a headache. Time to hit the sack and hopefully sleep all night long. Tiger didn't want to go out one last time, so I'm guessing we'll be up in a couple hours. Ah well, what one does for the ones he loves. How can "one" be plural?

Okay have a good night everyone.

Old October 19th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - That guy who hung from Trump Tower in Chicago for 13 hours last night was arrested @ 7am this morning. I figure I can do better. I've been to the top of the Observation Deck a fair number of times. I'll tell you what, I'd never walk out onto that glass room in that building in Melbourne - absolutely no way.
Old October 19th, 2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris prayers that your wife doesn't have anything serious. Positive thoughts!

Okay have a good night everyone.
Mike - Thank you for your prayers and well wishes concerning my wife's condition. Hopefully everything will be fine. Hope you have a good week!
Old October 20th, 2020, 06:42 AM

Chris, I know 2 women who have had a type of cancer in their thyroid and had it removed. Both are fine and no complications now, except for they have to take a medication to regulate their energy level( cant think of the name now) anyway I think your wife will come out just fine. Norm, radio in barn is still doing good- not great but MUCH better than it was. I usually just turn it on and listen for as long as I'm in there. Before I would have to retune it in every 1/2 hour or so. Well all is good here in Mi, getting a lot of rain though yesterday was pretty nice. Neighbor and I took out our docks yesterday. I guess about 1/2 of the leaves are off of the trees, It's funny how different each specie is, most leaves are off the Maples, Birches about 1/2, Oaks are still mostly on tree yet. Sometimes the oak leaves never come off until the new ones come in the spring and "push" them off!
Old October 20th, 2020, 06:54 AM

Chris, I know 2 women who have had a type of cancer in their thyroid and had it removed. Both are fine and no complications now, except for they have to take a medication to regulate their energy level( cant think of the name now) anyway I think your wife will come out just fine.
Greg - Thanks for the positive thoughts about my wife's condition, much appreciated!
Old October 20th, 2020, 08:43 AM

Good morning guys,
Well, the weather man has blown the forecast, at least so far. Totally overcast, 46 degrees, and misting out, just nasty for wanting to do anything outside.

This time of year when I'm thinking of putting the toys up for the winter, is when I stock up for springtime start-up fluid changes and maintenance, so I've spent most the mornimg looking online for the best deals and ordering. I've found many of these products are cheaper this time of year, maybe because they're trying to reduce inventory for storage over the winter. With Covid surging upwards again, you never know when production and supply lines might be impacted again, and I will feel better having the products in hand so that when I'm ready to do the maintenance I already have everything I need. For my Indian motorcycle I have to buy an Indian OEM oil change kit (5 1/2 qts oil, filter, and crush washers) to keep my extended warranty valid. For the Yamaha it's 6 qts Valvoline 20w50 full synthetic motorcycle oil and K&N filter. For the 442 it's 5 qts of Mobil 1 15w50 full synthetic oil and Wix 51049 filter. For any of you that are interested, I did alot of reading and research before deciding what oil I wanted to run in my 442. The Mobil 1 specs for this oil state it has 1300 ppm of Zinc and is formulated to work well for flat tappet applications. With the very wide temperature range here from low 30's to 100 degrees during driving season, I thought this particular multiviscosity range would work the best for me. My car seems to love the stuff, no leaks and no oil usage, although I've only put about 1,600-miles on it this summer. Oh, and one of the perks, is that a 5 qt jug can be ordered from Walmart for $25, which is just crazy cheap for a full synthetic Mobil 1 product.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 20th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Running On Empty

39/42 My putting was off. Fifth hole par five (450 yds) I was over the green in two. I should have grabbed my eight iron but I didn't feel like going back to my walking cart so I putted it. I should have gone back to my cart for my eight iron, but hey - it's a casual game of golf and myself & the guys I played with today had a very enjoyable day. It was 79°F, 80% humidity and a light 9 mph breeze out of the ENE.
Old October 20th, 2020, 12:52 PM

39/42 My putting was off. Fifth hole par five (450 yds) I was over the green in two. I should have grabbed my eight iron but I didn't feel like going back to my walking cart so I putted it. I should have gone back to my cart for my eight iron, but hey - it's a casual game of golf and myself & the guys I played with today had a very enjoyable day. It was 79°F, 80% humidity and a light 9 mph breeze out of the ENE.
Norm - Still a very respectable round. Over the green in two on a 450 yd par 5, that's whacking it pretty good! I always enjoyed walking with a pull cart more than riding in a cart if the course allowed it, unless it was just ungodly hot. It helped me work off some of that nervous energy we discussed before. Glad you had a beautiful day for your outing, it's just cold, wet, and dreary here.
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:01 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - Still a very respectable round. Over the green in two on a 450 yd par 5, that's whacking it pretty good! I always enjoyed walking with a pull cart more than riding in a cart if the course allowed it, unless it was just ungodly hot. It helped me work off some of that nervous energy we discussed before. Glad you had a beautiful day for your outing, it's just cold, wet, and dreary here.
Chris - I've played 172 18-hole rounds of golf thus far, this year. I have walked 156 rounds. I rode in a cart for about 4-5 weeks during the absolutely worse heat and humidity weeks in August. Our average round of golf is ~6 miles walking. 156 x 6 = 936 miles walking on a golf course thus far, this year.
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:12 PM

Chris - I've played 172 18-hole rounds of golf thus far, this year. I have walked 156 rounds. I rode in a cart for about 4-5 weeks during the absolutely worse heat and humidity weeks in August. Our average round of golf is ~6 miles walking. 156 x 6 = 936 miles walking on a golf course thus far, this year.
Norm - Man that's alot of golf and alot of walking! Now I know how you get alot of your exercise. Do you go through more than one pair of golf shoes per season???
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - Man that's alot of golf and alot of walking! Now I know how you get alot of your exercise. Do you go through more than one pair of golf shoes per season???
Yes, two/season on average.
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Jeffrey Toobin has had better days.
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:41 PM

Jeffrey Toobin has had better days.
Ya just can't fix stupid!!!
Old October 20th, 2020, 01:49 PM
Running On Empty

Ya just can't fix stupid!!!
Isn't that the truth.
Old October 20th, 2020, 02:17 PM

Got the horse pasture seeds driilled in today, [remember fertilized yesterday] so Cross fingers fer rain [ no not 8"]

Mike, I'm going to de dentist tomorrow. Wanta come? They actually have appointments at specific times and show up