The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2020, 05:15 AM

Chris, Thanks for pics. That Olds "police car" Has what looks like front wheel drive later Chevy wheels on it. Makes me wonder if it has a FWD drivetrain. Did you happen to see under the hood? Ken, those are sweet pics! Since we were talking about weird nature things... Opossums.... Maybe 20 years ago a opossum was in the front yard of my old house. Been hit by a car. It was dead so I went out with a shovel to throw it over in the ditch. When I got to it it was starting to cool down and a bunch of baby opossums were coming out of it!!! I felt bad for the little uns... They were just as ugly as mom was, but still...
Old October 3rd, 2020, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Very nice pictures. I didn't stay up long enough to catch the Mars/Moon event, but I was blown away by the Harvest moon rising. It was an absolutely gorgeous evening and a spectacular view. For the past several nights the skies here have produced some awesome moon rises. Blue Moon on Halloween this year.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 06:19 AM

Good morning guys,

Kenneth - Very nice astronomy equipment and beautiful pictures! We did not try to stay up for the event because it was very overcast here by that time.

Greg - I did look under the hood of that Olds Police Car and it had a newer 3.8L GM motor in it. I didn't even notice or think about it being FWD, but I did notice the Chevy wheel covers. What a monstrosity! I may be wrong, but I I do believe that at least the body came off of a vintage police car because of the way the aging effects looked on the side insignias.

Well, we (wife and I) decided to cancel on my daughter and not go apple picking this morning with them. It's 42 right now and totally overcast. The first wave of showers is supposed to start around 0900 and with periodic showers throughout the day. We didn't think it would be too much fun with no sun and 40 degree temps most of the morning. Supposed to be more of the same tomorrow, with it finally clearing and some sunshine later in the day.

No big plans for today now. If I can get a window of no rain where I can open the garage I'll probably go out and clean on my car some, at least get any bugs and road grime off the front and from behind the wheel wells. It was already too dark by the time I got home last night.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Kenneth, does your telescope have the feature that compensates for the rotation of the Earth?
Yes, it has the NexStar computer controller. Simply input your location and time, align it with 3 bright stars, and it correlates the star map to your location and time. You can pick an object from the database and the telescope drives to it, or you can point it at an object and it will identify what it is, then it will track whatever you are looking at.

Norm, if you watched the moon rise you should have seen Mars slightly above and to the left of the moon. I saw it just as it cleared the rooftops to the east of me. Then I went out with the dogs around 3am and Mars was below and to the right of the moon. I wonder if they crossed paths and Mars was blocked by the moon at some point? Gotta research that and see.

Last edited by Fun71; October 3rd, 2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

There's a good chance I'll be able to see it tonight. I use the slider sidebar from In-The-Sky.org to determine position for viewing and the movement.

https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20201003_20_100
Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:17 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Early and big morning. Went to get the big truck from the mechanic. He's about 60 miles from me, takes an hour and a little bit to get up there in a car, and takes 2 1/2 hours to get home with the truck. At some point the phone rang, which was in my pocket, but the truck vibrates more than the phone does. I didn't know it until I looked at my phone when I was in the house. Well I'm glad it's home. Now it will probably just sit.

Kenneth those are cool pictures of the planets. The only stellar gazing I've done was I saw the full eclipse a couple years ago. What was better than seeing the sun itself through the telescope, was what was going on around us. It really did look like night and the bugs started making noise.

Now that it's October, I wonder if Summit Racing will have their Monday night car show. I'm guessing no. I'll have to look that up later. If not then that's a wash for me this summer, no car shows at all. Sad.

Okay now I have to find a place to put this guy. I have some things that need dragging around so I'll keep the truck here for a little while. Right now it's out on the street, can't stay there.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:30 AM
Running On Empty

I removed the engine, cleaned all moving parts, greased all moving parts, cleaned the engine, removed the pulleys & cleaned them, grabbed some new rope @ Ace Hardware this morning, picked up a new belt yesterday, installed a new edger blade, installed fresh oil, cleaned the carburetor, reassembled the engine & parts, mounted the engine to the edger frame & kaboom - first pull fired right up. It's a gorgeous day for working outdoors (edging, of course). Stopped by next door neighbor's place (the brother of George who died lives two houses down from me, his brother lives next door to me) to check on the family, etc. and inquire about the visitation, service & funeral. He always says something about the weather, today it was - you must be from up North if you're working outdoors today (of course, he has known for >21 years I'm from up North), it's too chilly for me. The temperature is a nice mild 60°F w/ a slight breeze. Time for some lunch and back to the mighty edging event.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 01:01 PM

Well, I was going to plant some mums today, but the rain, which wasn't supposed to hit until tonight, came early as it has been raining all day. Renewed my O.C.A. membership for another two years,
Old October 4th, 2020, 07:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was a bust. That's okay. When I got home with the truck, I was wacked. Sat down on the couch and slept all afternoon. Tiger didn't help things by laying on the floor next to me and not moving all afternoon. That truck is a handful and driving it for two hours in city traffic really takes a lot out of a guy.

So after Awful house today I went and got another kit for the Saturn. We'll see how long it takes me to lose these parts. I think I will glue the grommet to the cable end so I'm not fighting to keep everything lined up.

Norm I have an old edger, that's older than me. It's electric. I used it for years at home but since I moved haven't had a driveway or sidewalk that needs edging. That thing used to scare me to death. I would be edging along and the blade would hit the concrete and a shower of sparks would fly everywhere.

Big surprise the Summit cruise ins have been cancelled for October. Well that's it, they would have ended at the end of October anyway. Although I talked to a friend of mine and he really wants to go to the Corvair show in Daytona the first weekend of November. He's coming out next weekend to help me get the car ready and if the truck is fixed I'll trailer it down. So one show this year.

Well nothing is getting done sitting here. Wish me luck with the trans cable grommet. Kit today was 15, the one I got at NAPA was 18. At this rate it would have been cheeper for me to take it to the dealer. Have a good day everyone.

Old October 4th, 2020, 07:48 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
...edging along and the blade would hit the concrete and a shower of sparks would fly everywhere...
Mike - I try to run a thin line between sharpening the edger blade and ruining the edger blade. Straight-line edging not so bad, I can barely touch the concrete - I play a mental game thinking I'm sharpening the blade (which most likely is completely false). None-the-less, it takes the monotony from the work involved. It's the winding areas which destroy the blade(s) - especially if I haven't edged in awhile since I can't see the actual edge of the concrete and/or pavers. I have a winding entrance from the concrete driveway to the front porch which is comprised of pavers; then, I have also a winding path of pavers leading from the back house porch to the man-cave. Those areas eat edger blades & produce significant fireworks when edging. Good luck on the cable install. Maybe some silicone or heavy grease would work on keeping the grommet to the cable?
Old October 4th, 2020, 07:48 AM

Good morning everyone.

So after Awful house today I went and got another kit for the Saturn. We'll see how long it takes me to lose these parts. I think I will glue the grommet to the cable end so I'm not fighting to keep everything lined up.

Norm I have an old edger, that's older than me. It's electric. I used it for years at home but since I moved haven't had a driveway or sidewalk that needs edging. That thing used to scare me to death. I would be edging along and the blade would hit the concrete and a shower of sparks would fly everywhere.
Mike,
Wishing you the best of luck with your Saturn! Hoping you can "Git'r Done!"

I remember my Dad would send me out to edge the driveway with an old manual mechanical edger. That thing was a total PoS! My hands would be blistered before I got half done. These days my weedeater is my edger, seems to work just fine.
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Well, I got so carried away with camel toes I forgot about ye ole boat house. Made the decision to add more perling [to stiffen the Hardi plank, ]Decide after the sheets are up to paint before adding facia and soffit and batting. should make it easier for the 1st coat; Norm got the storage room famed up

Attached Files
File Type: html
boat house 7.html (446.8 KB, 5 views)
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, I got so carried away with camel toes I forgot about ye ole boat house. Made the decision to add more perling [to stiffen the Hardi plank, ]Decide after the sheets are up to paint before adding facia and soffit and batting. should make it easier for the 1st coat; Norm got the storage room famed up
It's looking great! What a treat it will be. They're hiring. Maybe pick up some side cash, James?...

https://www.cameltowtacos.com/

Old October 4th, 2020, 08:23 AM

James - It's really shaping up, looks incredible! You're really going to get a lot of enjoyment out of that. Thanks for the update.
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Running On Empty

My beastly edger. That one piece of frame metal stopped me from being able to remove the rope guard and having to remove the engine to replace the broken rope. It wasn't so bad - just time consuming.

Old October 4th, 2020, 08:56 AM

Good mornimg all,
Well the rain and clouds have moved out, but it's still supposed to be unseasonably cool here today with a high of only 61. There is even a frost advisory for tonight into tomorrow morning. Then, as typical of our crazy St. Louis weather, back into the mid-70's on Tuesday and a projected high of 83 on Wednesday. Right now the forecast is looking absolutely beautiful with hardly any chance of rain all the way through next weekend!

No big plans for today.. There's a car show at an Elks Lodge about 20 miles from me next Saturday and I'll probably enter my car in it if the forecast holds I haven't thoroughly cleaned her up after having her out a couple times, so I'll probably start in on a thorough detailing today sometime in prep for the show. Going to try to get out for a couples motorcycle ride on Wednesday with the warmer temps forecasted. Going to take the gals on that Onondaga State Park ride my buddy and I went on a couple weeks ago because it was so scenic.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My beastly edger. That one piece of frame metal stopped me from being able to remove the rope guard and having to remove the engine to replace the broken rope. It wasn't so bad - just time consuming.
Norm - That's not at all like I pictured in my mind. That is a whole lot of edger, and definitely "beastly"! If you had a small tree starting to grow along the edge I believe that thing would take it down!
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - That's not at all like I pictured in my mind. That is a whole lot of edger, and definitely "beastly"! If you had a small tree starting to grow along the edge I believe that thing would take it down!
I could probably use it as a stump grinder.
The blade and wheels adjust so you can get the type of angular cut you want along edges, also. It's a good machine.
Old October 4th, 2020, 10:07 AM

Norm, I don't have anything to edge. My friend Donny at the golf course told me they used 20 gallons of mixed fuel a week just edging and blowing leaves. Cart paths 5.5 miles [x 2 side] =11 miles +entrance road [both sides] +drive ways and parking area, They buy blades by the case

Of Course with they have enough help. It's like looking over the wall at the Alamo
Old October 4th, 2020, 10:23 AM

Jamesbo, the boat house is looking good. Fianlly got some sunshine for the afternoon, but I'll be inside @ work for a half day.
Old October 4th, 2020, 02:50 PM

Jamesbo, that's an awesome boat house, but I just realized that I don't recall seeing any pictures of a boat.
Old October 4th, 2020, 03:00 PM

This is a stock pic. My Boston Whaler 17' Montauk has a 90 Honda
Old October 4th, 2020, 03:25 PM
Running On Empty

I noticed an erected electrical pole supplying electricity to the boys working on your boat house in an earlier image in this thread. Do you have a permanent source of electricity for the boat house? I'm suspecting you do. Now is a good time to run the correct underground cable to provide a 30amp feed into the boathouse for "stuff", in case you do not. Obviously ensure correct polarity for the sockets if you're hooking up your boat battery to any land-based electrical sockets. Keep duplexes on their own circuit separate from lighting fixture circuitry.
Old October 4th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Always room for one more

Well it's Saturn 4, Mike 0. What happened to 3? Fussed with the repair all afternoon and didn't get anywhere, and left the key on so I could keep moving the shifter inside, and the battery went dead. I thought, if it went dead from just that little bit, it must be going/bad. There's a big plastic cover over the battery that I've never had off. Took it off and the negative battery post was completely covered in that puffy, powdery corrosion. The battery is a Delco Professional Grade, which means it isn't the original, but was replaced at a dealer. Of course Mom doesn't remember. So that gets added to the list. Sheesh.

Beautiful evening out. It gets into the 40s at night, but is supposed to be sunny and warm every day this week. I took my stove apart for cleaning and never got it back together. I think an excellent thing to do would be to get it back together. It will be my only source of heat, should I need it, for the next month.

Jamesbo the boathouse looks great. Is that the boat who's trailer keeps losing its wheels?

It will most likely be inspection for me the whole week. Well the joke's on them. I'm going to be off Friday, my workwith is going to be off Friday, the guy that is going to be there who never works(because he has "too much other stuff to do") can't sign anything, and the POS guy is off all week. So they will be screwed on Friday. I hate it for the inspector, but perhaps something drastic has to happen for anything to change. It shouldn't be a bad week, I like the inspector who will be there this week. We have some good conversations.

Okay time to hit the sack. Hope everyone has a good week starting out. Have a good night everyone.

Old October 4th, 2020, 05:18 PM

Oh yeah, I can see myself on the bow of that with a spinning reel and a Rapala topwater minnow. Dang, why did I move to the desert?

This is a stock pic. My Boston Whaler 17' Montauk has a 90 Honda
Old October 4th, 2020, 05:38 PM

Good evening guys,
Pretty slow day around this neck of the woods. Pretty chilly all day, inside the house it never got above 65. I just turned our gas fireplace on for the first time this season just to take the chill off while I'm sitting here watching the football game.

I just baked a pie and can't wait for it to cool enough to dig into it. It's a Marie Callender's Razzleberry (blackberry & raspberry) pie, my favorite, which I highly recommend. Stopped at Dollar General when I went to get pizza for dinner, and picked up a carton of vanilla ice cream to go with it. Now there's some healthy eating!

Hope everyone has a relaxing evening and great week!

Old October 4th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Gorgeous pie! Gorgeous pie! I love raspberry & blackberry. Truth is my all time favorite pie is a homemade rhubarb pie w/ a good vanilla ice cream, of course. Something about the sweet/sour of the rhubarb.
Have you ever gone picking thimble berries? They exist in the UP - we used to head out for the afternoon and pick em. They make great jam.
Of course, there's nothing that can beat a day of morel hunting. I love those little buggers.
Old October 4th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Chris - Gorgeous pie! Gorgeous pie! I love raspberry & blackberry. Truth is my all time favorite pie is a homemade rhubarb pie w/ a good vanilla ice cream, of course. Something about the sweet/sour of the rhubarb.
Have you ever gone picking thimble berries? They exist in the UP - we used to head out for the afternoon and pick em. They make great jam.
Of course, there's nothing that can beat a day of morel hunting. I love those little buggers.
Norm - Honestly, I have never even heard of thimble berries? I'll have to look those up. Have you ever heard of gooseberries, my Grandma on my Mom's side had those. They had some property and had two apple trees, two pear trees, two peach trees, and two cherry trees, along with raspberries, blackberries, concord grapes, rhubarb, and strawberries. My Grandma would make jam out of all of them, she was amazing! When my brother and I were little we'd love to get a stalk of fresh cut rhubarb and dip it in sugar. That's exactly the sweet/sour taste you commented on.
Old October 4th, 2020, 06:21 PM
Running On Empty

Have you ever heard of gooseberries, my Grandma on my Mom's side had those.
Yes, I have. While living in Arkansas I ran across a batch of them along the road side. I looked them up and how to make a pie with them. The trick was to get the unripe berries to ripen before you use them. They made a nice pie. It was the only time I've made a pie from them. I have found some gooseberry patches over the years but I've never had the inclination to make another pie from them. Directly off the cart path on Hole #6 of our golf course are three persimmon trees. They're heavily laden with fruit and the ripened fruit is falling to the ground. Members drive past these trees daily and have no clue about them. I've been pointing them out recently to some members and none of them have ever tasted one - a couple joke about persimmon golf shafts, but they're really clueless regarding the trees or fruits. I've made numerous persimmon pies over the years, but the best persimmon recipe is a persimmon pudding w/ a dollop of ice-cream. Delicious!
Old October 4th, 2020, 06:32 PM

I've made numerous persimmon pies over the years, but the best persimmon recipe is a persimmon pudding w/ a dollop of ice-cream. Delicious!
I've had raw persimmons and pie before, but not pudding, it sounds good though!
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:44 PM

Y’all are making me remember picking blackberries as a kid. Mom would make blackberry cobbler, if we brought enough berries home. Most times we ate almost all we picked before we made it back home. Had to keep an eye out for snakes in the berry bushes. Don’t know if they ate the berries or hung out to snag critters that came to eat berries, but it seemed like there were always snakes in the blackberry brambles.
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Y’all are making me remember picking blackberries as a kid. Mom would make blackberry cobbler, if we brought enough berries home. Most times we ate almost all we picked before we made it back home. Had to keep an eye out for snakes in the berry bushes. Don’t know if they ate the berries or hung out to snag critters that came to eat berries, but it seemed like there were always snakes in the blackberry brambles.
Kenneth - I don't remember there being many snakes around all my Grandma's fruit plants, but they were cultivated by her regularly. She was a tough old hillbilly gal from the Smokies in Tennessee and I'm sure she took her hoe to every snake she saw!
Old October 5th, 2020, 11:27 AM

Well it's not morning anymore, so good afternoon guys,

Went out this morning and started detailing the 442 for the show on Saturday. Cleaned and polished the wheels first. Then I cleaned and waxed the rocker panels and the chrome trim just above them. The rest of the car is clean enough to just go over it with quick detailer a day or two before the show, plus I don't have to get down on my hands and knees to do the rest of it.

After messing with the car I got the passenger backrest/luggage rack for my Yamaha out of my basement and put it back on. Momma likes to ride the Yamaha better than the Indian because it has an aftermarket touring quality seat on it that is more comfortable, plus it sits higher and gives her a clear view over the top of my helmet. I usually leave the backrest/luggage rack off when she's not riding because the bike looks sportier without it. Not a big deal swapping it out when I need to, it has a quick release function and takes all of about 5 minutes.

Beautiful out here today, full sunshine and a projected high of 73. May just go for a ride locally this afternoon for a couple hours. Certainly too nice to be inside, and we won't have a whole lot more days like this!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 5th, 2020, 01:30 PM

Kenneth - I don't remember there being many snakes around all my Grandma's fruit plants, but they were cultivated by her regularly. She was a tough old hillbilly gal from the Smokies in Tennessee and I'm sure she took her hoe to every snake she saw!
We picked blackberries along the bayou and the fence lines in nearby cow pastures, so no Grandma nearby to dispatch snakes with a hoe.
Old October 5th, 2020, 01:38 PM

What about picking "wild plums' they used to be everywhere. My grandfather kept a bowl in the fridge to snack on [yes he had a bowl of pecans on the side table too] with the [used to be] "ever present" pecan tools/ That no one ever used. We just put 2 in our hand and cracked them against each other

Old October 5th, 2020, 01:42 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Good day at work. Was at my desk, but I'll be in inspection tomorrow and Wednesday. My workwith was there today and he'll be there Thursday. Our lead wasn't there today so we started our effort to get that one guy his signoff so we aren't signing everything for him.

I get these big blackberries over at the shop, geez these things have to be an inch around. But I'm afraid to eat them because I don't know what's been around them for the past 40 years. And I don't get them every year, sometimes it skips a year.

Chris do you use Quick Detailer from Maguire's? I love that stuff. In fact I love pretty much anything from Maguire's. I used to get it at the museum I volunteer at until I couldn't bring it on the plane with me. Once in a while I just have to have the metal polish, so I'll call out there and they'll mail it to me.

I don't know what a persimmon is, nor have I ever had one, but that is sort of a stern name my Mom calls us when she is not happy about us. Now look here, persimmon... No clue where she got that.

What I wouldn't do for a rhubarb pie. My aunt had rhubarb growing by the garage and everyone would make pie. Sumptuous. Those days are long over, I haven't had a rhubarb pie in years. Decades maybe. I mention it to my Mom and she just rolls her eyes.

Time to get dinner on the table. Need to start picking up around the place, I'm having company in two weeks. It will probably take that long to get the place presentable. Not nice, just presentable. Oy. Have a good evening everyone.

Old October 5th, 2020, 01:53 PM

Mike, some one gave me a rhubarb pie It's in the freezer in the hills Come and get it
Old October 5th, 2020, 02:17 PM

Jamesbo, my Mom has those same tools, likely got them from her Mom. When we were kids we had to use the nutcracker, but my Dad always cracked two against each other. I remember trying that but I was so small nothing happened. Those picks were used a lot to get that bitter stuff out of the grooves in the pecan halves (assuming we actually got a clean break and not a buncha pecan shards).

When I lived in Texas my neighbor had a pecan tree in the front yard near the property line. My dogs developed a taste for pecans and would walk over, pick up a pecan, come back to their yard, the lie down and proceed to munch the pecan, shell and all, then go back for another.
Old October 5th, 2020, 02:26 PM

Siding complete Now

paint, next paint the straight panels, add sofits/,facia, the batton, trim and doors
Old October 5th, 2020, 05:29 PM

Hi everyone.

Chris do you use Quick Detailer from Maguire's? I love that stuff. In fact I love pretty much anything from Maguire's. I used to get it at the museum I volunteer at until I couldn't bring it on the plane with me. Once in a while I just have to have the metal polish, so I'll call out there and they'll mail it to me.
Mike - Yes, Maguire's is the brand of quick detailer I use. I use it on my cars and my bikes, I love the stuff. Like you, I like all their products, they're pretty much all I use, with the one exception being ProtectAll. ProtectAll is especially good for cleaning and preserving vinyl. It has carnuba wax and UV protectors in it. I use it on my vinyl roof and interior on the 442, and my motorcycle seats, great stuff!