The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2020, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Hot water, salt, corn meal fried,

Originally when slaves worked out in the fields [sorry not PC,] they would heat their hoe in a fire and use it as a gridle

My mother called it Hot water corn bread, Wonderful with veggie soup, stews etc

Not the recipe I use but you get the idea
https://www.tasteofsouthern.com/hot-water-cornbread/
Thanks - Interesting, looks like a simplified "hush puppy", and thanks too for the back story. I love a good pan of cornbread! Not real good for me the way I like to eat it though. I'll sit down with a pan of warm cornbread and go through almost an entire stick of real butter, yum!
Old September 17th, 2020, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Thanks - Interesting, looks like a simplified "hush puppy", and thanks too for the back story. I love a good pan of cornbread! Not real good for me the way I like to eat it though. I'll sit down with a pan of warm cornbread and go through almost an entire stick of real butter, yum!

Kinda, no onion and pan fried not deep fried. Crunchy like a hush puppy
Old September 17th, 2020, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a nice surprise. I was sitting down at the table a moment ago and the sun came out! It's been gloomy and rainy for days and I have to say the sun was a welcome sight. I think it's supposed to be nice all weekend.

Work was okay. My workwith and I weren't in a big hurry and it showed. We finished up at 2. It seems like the week has been going by slow.

So last night before bed Tiger didn't want to go outside because it was raining. Can't say as I blame him. I thought, he'll get me up in the middle of the night. Nope. Got up this morning and he wouldn't go out. Got ready to go to work and I said Tiger I know you have to go out. So I went out with him. Got soaked. He really had to go. I'm trying to come up with a room or an enclosure with a roof where he can be outside with grass but not get rained on.

Jamesbo my question is what is shoe peg corn?

Chris glad the pup had a good birthday. Tiger doesn't get presents on his birthday, he already has three ***** and two bones. We usually go to the Awful house. His birthday is February 12.

Okay got a couple hours before time to wind down, think I might watch a movie. One more to go, hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 17th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike...shoepeg corn is that absolutely sweet tiny little corn kernels (generally white)...they're delicious.
Old September 17th, 2020, 03:44 PM

Old September 17th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

A very wild and crazy hurricane season to date. Disturbance #1 has a >90% potential of forming into a tropical storm and possible hurricane in the next couple of days with predicted northward to northeastward path towards Louisiana. Insane.

Old September 17th, 2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris glad the pup had a good birthday. Tiger doesn't get presents on his birthday, he already has three ***** and two bones. We usually go to the Awful house. His birthday is February 12.
Mike - How are Tiger's skin/itching problems doing? Has he gotten over them? Hope he's gotten some relief.

Pretty slow day around here today, didn't do a whole heck of alot. The weather is supposed to really change tomorrow, forecasting lows in the low 40's Saturday and Sunday mornings, with a high of only 70. I will be breaking out my fleece lined jeans and heavy leather riding jacket if I head out Saturday morning and it really is only 40 degrees. I hope everyone had a good day and has a relaxing evening.
Old September 17th, 2020, 04:46 PM
Always room for one more

Tiger's itching has gotten better. I still give him the medicine when he needs it, but maybe the cooler temps are helping out as well. Sometimes it's a few days between running the vacuum cleaner, and I thought maybe in twisted irony Tiger is allergic to pet dander.

I'm going to get some of that corn next time I'm at the grocery store. We had hoe cakes at the Paula Deen restaurant in Savannah. Don't know if she made them on hoe's or not.

I had a Harley years ago, a Fatboy, and when I'd ride in cool weather I had chaps. Actually I still have them, the bike is long gone. Chaps really helped.

Gonna hit the sack. My movie turned into Leno's video of his Packard Caribbean. What a beautiful car. For all my car things that I do and wanting a convertible for summer cruising, a big 50s convertible I think is what I'd really like to have. Anyway, good night everyone.

Old September 17th, 2020, 06:16 PM

Tiger's itching has gotten better. I still give him the medicine when he needs it, but maybe the cooler temps are helping out as well. Sometimes it's a few days between running the vacuum cleaner, and I thought maybe in twisted irony Tiger is allergic to pet dander.

I'm going to get some of that corn next time I'm at the grocery store. We had hoe cakes at the Paula Deen restaurant in Savannah. Don't know if she made them on hoe's or not.

I had a Harley years ago, a Fatboy, and when I'd ride in cool weather I had chaps. Actually I still have them, the bike is long gone. Chaps really helped.

Gonna hit the sack. My movie turned into Leno's video of his Packard Caribbean. What a beautiful car. For all my car things that I do and wanting a convertible for summer cruising, a big 50s convertible I think is what I'd really like to have. Anyway, good night everyone.
Mike - Glad to hear Tiger's itching is doing better. I keep telling myself I should get myself a set of chaps, but honestly with my heavyweight, fleece lined jeans my legs do not get cold even when it's in the high 30's. I have to add to that response by saying that both my bikes have what are called leg cowlings which are wind deflectors attached to the front crash bars that deflect much of the wind away from your legs.

I think it would be fun to have a convertible too. I really hope you get yours someday. I'd probably still want a mid to late 60's muscle car though. I'd love to have a 68 or 69 442 convertible. There's a 68 442 convertible at a classic car dealer in Des Moines, Iowa called Americam Dream Machines that I've been eyeing for awhile. I'd have to sell my 67, or sell both my bikes, to have the money and the space for it though. I'm not willing to do either right now. Plus, my wife said if I get another car, she gets another bulldog, and I'm really not ready for that!
Old September 18th, 2020, 02:50 AM

Headed norte,

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old September 18th, 2020, 04:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Headed norte,

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Expecting progress pictures upon your return. Should be excellent weather.
Old September 18th, 2020, 04:41 AM

Good Morning! I am in great spirits today. Everything is coming along great. Roof is completely done and paid for. These guys did a great job. Wife and I grilled up 16 burgers and fixens for a lunch for the 6 of them and us on Tuesday. They can eat! I gave them each a $50. bill as a tip. These guys were just what you want when someone works on your house. They fixed things as if it were their home. Looks like I am going to meet some friends at Mid Michigan Motorplex this Saturday. Looking forward to meeting Dan there also. They are having the "Pure Stock" drags there this weekend. Don't know if you guys have seen those cars but they are far from stock but look stock but pull some times in the 10's! I plan to take the Olds but don't think I will run it ( but I might-just for fun.) My car is really stock- don't know but I'll bet I would be lucky to get a 16 sec ET going thru the traps still in 2nd gear... Weather really has cooled down here. This morning its down in the mid 30's! Didn't see any frost though...
Old September 18th, 2020, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Good Morning! I am in great spirits today. Everything is coming along great. Roof is completely done and paid for. These guys did a great job. Wife and I grilled up 16 burgers and fixens for a lunch for the 6 of them and us on Tuesday. They can eat! I gave them each a $50. bill as a tip. These guys were just what you want when someone works on your house. They fixed things as if it were their home. Looks like I am going to meet some friends at Mid Michigan Motorplex this Saturday. Looking forward to meeting Dan there also. They are having the "Pure Stock" drags there this weekend. Don't know if you guys have seen those cars but they are far from stock but look stock but pull some times in the 10's! I plan to take the Olds but don't think I will run it ( but I might-just for fun.) My car is really stock- don't know but I'll bet I would be lucky to get a 16 sec ET going thru the traps still in 2nd gear... Weather really has cooled down here. This morning its down in the mid 30's! Didn't see any frost though...
Greg - Sounds like a great week, and plans for a great weekend! You'll have to post a few pics of the drags so we can all join in the fun. Wow, lows in the mid-30's! Probably highs in the 60's which should be really nice for the drags. Cool here too for this area, tomorrow's low is supposed to be 42 and high of 70. Fall is definitely here, just don't like what's around the corner. My wife and I are taking the 442 out to a cruise on part of the old Rt. 66 this evening, Should be a nice evening for it. I'll post a few pics.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old September 18th, 2020, 09:25 AM

See ya there Greg.
Old September 18th, 2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
See ya there Greg.
Hey Dan - Expecting pics from you too. You guys be safe and have a great time!
Old September 18th, 2020, 11:00 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. We finished early and left right after noon. Sort of a funky day. My workwith and I couldn't get things right, we screwed up all morning long. Not much we can screw up that would actually affect safety, just boneheaded stuff. So we laughed and made fun of each other. We actually straightened everything out and finished up so we're in good shape for Monday. I'm pretty sure I'll be back there Monday, as the other guy who always tries to get out of it said too many times that he'd be there Monday.

Greg I was wondering about the roof. Glad you're happy with it. You only have 25 more years to worry about the next one. Have a good time at the car show tomorrow. You should enter your car. Or your truck.

Chris I don't see a problem. You get another car and another dog. Excellent! I'd have a hundred dogs if I could. And I seem to be working on a hundred cars.

So I gotta find something to do this afternoon. It's cool and the sun is out. Oil needs changing in the car. Frame inspection is needed on the Mercedes. I need to go over to the shop and see if everything is okay after the storms. Got plenty of things to choose from.

So Happy Friday!

Old September 18th, 2020, 11:41 AM

Hi everyone.

Good day at work.

Chris I don't see a problem. You get another car and another dog. Excellent! I'd have a hundred dogs if I could. And I seem to be working on a hundred cars.

So Happy Friday!
Mike - Glad you had a good Friday at work. I love our dogs to death, but it's already pretty crowded even in a king size bed to get a good night's sleep. Also my wife won't hardly leave them more than about 6-hours. She hates to think of them having to try and hold it much longer than that. It hasn't been an issue this summer because of the Covid, but I can see them being an issue impeding future travel plans, only because it will be hard to find a place to board them that meets my wife's standards for their care. I really think a 3rd would be over the top in terms of care and logistical nightmares . . . just saying!

Hope you have a great weekend! I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow of the cruise we're going to tonight.
Old September 18th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - You treat your contract workers the same as me. Good on you.
Dan - Keep an eye on Greg as I hear he gets lost easily.
Chris - Enjoy your two weeks of fall weather. We have what I refer to as Autumn followed by Fall. Autumn lasts next week until the end of October, Fall begins when Autumn ends and lasts until the end of December.
Mike - I'm looking forward to your weather heading this way this evening sometime.

Tee time was 8:15am this morning. Rain stopped @ 8:00am, but we caught a shower rounding the 15th hole. I shot pretty fair game - 36 Front, 41 Back.
Old September 18th, 2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tee time was 8:15am this morning. Rain stopped @ 8:00am, but we caught a shower rounding the 15th hole. I shot pretty fair game - 36 Front, 41 Back.
Norm - That's a nice round pardner! As for our StL weather. All of October is usually really nice, and we can have a lot of nice weather all the way to the end of November. I usually don't winterize my bikes until the end of November, unless there's an early snow and they throw a bunch of salt down. The next 6 weeks will be the nicest of the year around here. Gotta go start getting ready . . . gonna go get my kicks, on Route 66!
Old September 18th, 2020, 12:18 PM
Running On Empty

Winterizing my motorcycle entails wiping the dust off once/month.
Enjoy your ride.
Old September 18th, 2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Winterizing my motorcycle entails wiping the dust off once/month.
Enjoy your ride.
I'm jealous, I'd love to be able to ride year round! Not riding this evening, going to a cruise with the 442 about 25-miles away at a Sonic drive-in.
Old September 18th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Running On Empty

I haven't ridden in over one month because it has been absolutely sultry with the heat and high humidity - oppressive is a much better term. The best riding is the next several months.
Old September 18th, 2020, 06:19 PM

Car Cruise

Hey Guys - Just got back from the cruise barely before dark. Going to post pics now, even though I know most of you probably won't see them till morning. Three Oldsmobiles besides mine, those pics are first. Had to include a couple pics of.the Lamborghini, you just don't see those everyday! The rest are just to give you an idea of how many cars were there. It was a nice drive with momma and nice to see folks enjoying each other's cars. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Old September 18th, 2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Had to include a couple pics of.the Lamborghini, you just don't see those everyday!
Around here that depends upon what part of town you drive through. I have seen a silver haired woman driving a Rolls Royce (I thought those always had a driver with the owner in the back seat?), a couple types of Bentleys, Ferarris, Maseratis, etc. It has amazed me that I see more of those mid-day on my day off when I'm out and about when the rest of the world is at work, but I guess the folks with those types of vehicles either don't work or don't go to an office for work.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old September 19th, 2020, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Around here that depends upon what part of town you drive through.
. . . Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Fun71 - Yes, you're right, probably a poor choice of words on my part. I guess my point is you usually don't see true "exotics" showing up at your local car cruise, at least in the Midwest.
Old September 19th, 2020, 08:14 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Seems every Friday night I go to bed and tell Tiger, okay let's sleep in tomorrow. And every Saturday morning I get a nose in my eye before the sun comes up. Ah, the love.

So it's overcast and really cool this morning. Got plenty to keep me going today. Plus I'm going to Loganville to look at a Valiant fender.

Chris the pictures look great. Oh how I miss the Monday night cruise ins. There's supposed to be a big show in Senoia the last weekend, but if I were a betting man I'd say it won't be happening.

I could actually go get the dogmobile from the shop. It's cool enough I don't need AC. Not a bad idea, actually, I could swap out the pickup. I'm not driving it until I have the wheel bearing looked at, so why have it sitting here.

Okay off I go to start Saturday. Have a good weekend everyone.

Old September 19th, 2020, 05:49 PM

Good evening guys - Hope everyone had a nice day. Absolutely beautiful here, sunny with a high of 71. Chilly this morning at 42, but I was dressed for it before heading for Arkansas. I had 4 lane divided highway for 2/3 of the trip, but it's a real scenic highway, and with a 65mph speed limit (75mph for motorcycles, LoL) I was able to make good time. I needed to, because it was 415-miles round-trip. I picked up 2 sides of pork ribs, and momma had slaw, baked beans, and homemade dinner rolls waiting for sides. Yummmm!!!! Just got done at dark from cleaning the bugs off my bike, I hate those nasty boogers, they're so hard on the paint. I won't put my bike away without getting them off if I can help it. All in all just a great day, but I'm pooped. Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.
Old September 19th, 2020, 06:56 PM

Purestock pics. Gregs car is the Blue '71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Nice car. I'm annoyed because I shot two videos, and for some reason there was no sound. Checked my manual, and there was nothing in it telling me how to adjust it. In the past, I just hit the record button, and it recording the audio automatically. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sDRdd3kVeHanryX8
Old September 19th, 2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Purestock pics. Gregs car is the Blue '71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Nice car. I'm annoyed because I shot two videos, and for some reason there was no sound. Checked my manual, and there was nothing in it telling me how to adjust it. In the past, I just hit the record button, and it recording the audio automatically. https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sDRdd3kVeHanryX8
Dan - Terrific pics, and I enjoyed the video, even without the sound! It looks like you guys have nice weather there.. Thanks for sharing!
Old September 19th, 2020, 07:44 PM
Always room for one more

Dan was the green Stude wagon a Wagonaire?

Old September 19th, 2020, 09:05 PM

X2 Looks like and awesome turnout.

Keith
Old September 19th, 2020, 10:22 PM

Mike, It was a Daytona. Thanks Chris & Keith. Turnout was lower than last year, by about 70 cars, 105 vs 175 last year. Covid kept a few away, no cars from Canada, and I noticed several regulars that weren't there this year. Still a good event. The Willow Gold '68 442 (W30), belongs to another member here (Chris), he's from White Cloud, which is about an hour from me.
Old September 20th, 2020, 03:42 AM

Dan, thanks for the great pics, It was a great time and so glad to finally meet you! The Vista Cruiser that we looked at by my car (and you took pics of) Is owned by the fella who bought my old 70 VC. I got to talk to him after I saw you. He says the 70 is just parked in his garage- sad- but he did put a proper dual exhaust on it. Anyway it was a great time! I also got to meet another member of CO- Chris- nice to meet you, Chris, I wish I could have talked more but was in line exiting... Hopefully I'll see you again!
Well it is supposed to warm up here next week again and that will be nice. I'm not really ready for cool autumn yet. Have a good Sunday, guys!!
Old September 20th, 2020, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I'm not really ready for cool autumn yet.
You should come here, then. We still have plenty of warm weather.

Old September 20th, 2020, 08:12 AM

We decided to run the Hardi board all the way over the floor bans [to keep out moisture] Naturally [as luck would have it] we had to order 12' Hardi board. Minor delay only a few days
Old September 20th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cool this morning. Took the dogmobile to Awful house and no one complained that Tiger was getting too hot. In fact it was down right chilly driving with the window down so he could have his head out the window.

Jamesbo the boat house looks great. Question. Is there some sort of benefit to having the chain instead of a downspout or is it just aesthetics?

Got a few little things to do today, nothing spectacular. I do need to go to Walmart, I'll have to psyche myself up for that. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old September 20th, 2020, 08:51 AM

Good morning everyone,
James - The boathouse looks great, love the metal roof!
Cool here this morning too, 42-degrees at 0700. I'm glad it's a little cooler because I'm headed out to mow as soon as I post this. Supposed to be beautiful all day, may see if momma wants to go for a cruise this afternoon, would be a really nice day for it. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old September 20th, 2020, 09:57 AM

Mike, No, It's just me being funky

Thanks Chris, Siding should be on next week, then facia, soffits and gutters then the batting, then paint. Then I'm going to build a storage room inside for skis, life vest etc
Old September 20th, 2020, 11:21 AM

Greg, good to meet you as well. Was this your first time there? Chris said that he wanted to meet you, so, good that he found you.
Old September 20th, 2020, 12:37 PM

Piddled around with the camera a bit, went into the digital menu, and found that I had the sound turned off for the video. Oh well. It's on now, just in case.