The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2020, 01:13 PM

Norm, I have the closer ratio steering box in my blue, blue, blue blue and blue 442 drop top. I like it.

BTW the trick to dying [or painting ] hard plastic is I clean, clean and then clean sum more
Old November 15th, 2020, 02:14 PM
Running On Empty

James - Of course, that makes sense. You've never seen someone clean like this boy can. My main concerns/questions are:

(1) Should a primer be applied prior to painting? Nearly all painting I have done on nearly anything I have always applied a primer first; yet, I've heard others talking about no primer needed so I'm dubious;
(2) What manufacturers make paint primarily for the interior plastic of automobiles. There most likely are several to many who 'claim' they have the 'best', right;
(3) Hopefully there are paints which won't discolor (stay-fast colors) with routine soap & water. I'm hoping these types are available from a reputable manufacturer.
Old November 15th, 2020, 04:57 PM

Norm, the most common usage that I see recommended by car guys for interior color re-do or restoration is SEM dye, usually applied with a spray gun. There should be threads on this site somewhere where it has been discussed. I have had 3 Cutlass Supremes of the '70-'71 years, and liked the way that they drove, and for pretty decent comfort as well. Way back in the day, my '70 SX, then about 30 years ago, a rust bucket '71 convertible that drove like a champ (also would hit 122 mph), and then my '71 Supreme that I had from 2005-2010. Just nice cars to drive. Chris Craft did have a plant in Holland, Mi. that is the one that I worked at. They were starting to have financial problems when I was there in the mid 70's. They were bought and sold a couple of times, and resurrected a couple of times as well.

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 15th, 2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:06 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Awesome. I’m going to look into SEM dye. Thank You.
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris Craft did have a plant in Holland, Mi. that is the one that I worked at.
Dan - Thanks for confirming that. I don't know how I even remembered that other than I did a fair amount of research on Hope College and Holland when trying to decide where I was going to go to college back in 1976. My Dad and I went for a campus visit and a football game during the fall of 1976, and I remember the campus and the town as being very nice. I decided to stay closer to home attending Albion which is in the same athletic conference (MIAA) as Hope.
Old November 15th, 2020, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve been to Holland a buttload of times. I love the area. A very interesting & peculiar isolated ecosystem.
Old November 15th, 2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Greg - Thanks that’s good info. I’ve followed numerous threads RE: steering boxes, mftr, ratios, under steering, caster etc. it will take me a concerted effort once I get it back on jacks. I had the alignment shop add extra caster when I rebuilt the suspension and front end. Not certain it was done exactly as I specified. One thing is for certain though, I have I’d say ~3” of free play in the steering column. The rag joint has no free play at all. Free play appears to be in the steering box.

I also want to paint my door arm rests both sides. I have absolutely no clue how that’s done. I mean I certainly know how to mask & paint, but I’m clueless on any type of paint for that type application. I am not going to buy new arm rests/door panels for faded worn paint or dye or whatever it is. I’m hoping others have painted these things before and can provide recommendations regarding prep & paint.
Norm, there is a Lares box that is a direct replacement quick ratio, but I don't remember the part number. I know there were a lot of posts about this box in the past, so a search should find the correct part number.

As for painting the arm rests, are you referring to the bases that attach to the door panels, the padded rests, or both? I have used Krylon spray cans for the bases, but mine are black, so there's a good Krylon match, and painting hard plastic is much different than vinyl. SEM also makes excellent spray cans for plastic and vinyl, and these can also be used for the padded rests as well as the bases. One of our local club members SEM'd his visors and other interior parts and you can't tell they aren't factory colors.
Old November 16th, 2020, 03:13 AM

Norm, I bought new arm rest pads for mine, very easy and not expensive. Think I got them thru Legendary as I was redoing the entire interior. Though they may not be available in your color, mine are blue.
Old November 16th, 2020, 03:59 AM

Along with alot of wooden boats, the lake is infested with Gawga Bulldogs [including Fran Tarkenton]
Old November 16th, 2020, 04:32 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Thanks for that. You've awakened the cobwebs. I recall discussion threads pertaining to steering boxes for these cars which I have read but you're assisting by providing the names. I haven't done my research yet but I recall the name Lares. I think I also recall discussions with the name Saginaw? I believe I recall a discussion pertaining to, of all things, Jeep as well?

Regarding the steering, my first step before going knee-deep into steering box replacement or rebuild will be to see if the steering box can be tightened at the worm gear adjusting screw to remove the loose play.

Greg - MANUAL STEERING RATIO = 28:1. POWER STEERING (VARIABLE) RATIO = 16:1 to 13.1 for all 350 Cu. In., L-6 & Toronado Series and 15:1 to 13:1 for all 455 Cu. In. 15.1 to 13:1. I've previously reviewed door panels from Legendary. I like their products. I replaced seat covers and floor carpet w/ Legendary. I wasn't looking for armrest replacements, but that's a good idea.

Since I replaced the floor carpet (Legendary) the floor carpet correctly matches the Sienna color of the interior. The previous carpet was the incorrect carpet and it was likely replaced by someone - probably a body shop. In any case, the door panel carpet does not match the floor carpet I replaced with Legendary. That was the primary reason I was looking into complete door panel replacements. Since SEM sells a carpet re-dye kit for door panel carpet that is an option for me to consider. Last night I very briefly reviewed the SEM video on re-dye and re-paint. That may be the way for me to go on a re-dye of the door panel carpet. I've never removed the door panels from a 1971 CS so I'm not certain how it is accomplished. One reason for me to remove the driver's side door panel is because the electric window combination switch has intermittent operation of the rear electric windows and that switch needs to be removed and fixed. I've liberally sprayed it several times w/ contact cleaner and that helps greatly. However, I suspect that combination switch needs a complete cleaning and rework. The individual switches for each electric window work flawlessly. I'll take a couple pictures as this moves along so you guys can see what the door panels look like.

Thanks you guys for suggestions/recommendations.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 16th, 2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: sp
Old November 16th, 2020, 04:49 AM
Running On Empty

Speaking of Saginaw. Unlike many, I knew where Saginaw, MI was located before it became a hit (1964). Many have sung the song, here's Johnny's version.

Old November 16th, 2020, 05:03 AM

Have a great day fellas.
Old November 16th, 2020, 05:06 AM
Running On Empty

CW - Yourself, as well. Tee-time for me @ 11:11AM.
Old November 16th, 2020, 05:15 AM
Running On Empty

Chris Craft did have a plant in Holland, Mi. that is the one that I worked at.
As I've previously indicated I really like Holland, MI and I've been to Holland quite a number of times. While attending graduate school @ U of OK, Norman (1984-1988), I became good friends with a guy who was from Holland. His father owned a Phillips 66 service station forever in Holland. I have no idea where in Holland, only that his Dad owned a Phillips 66 service station. Probably minuscule chance you would have known him. My friends name is Kim Deweerd. I don't know his Dad's name.
Old November 16th, 2020, 09:48 AM

Norm, I don't know the name, but oddly enough, when I was having problems with my then '68 Delta Custom, I stopped at a Phillips 66 station at the advice of a co worker. I believe that it was near downtown on 7th street, which is one block off of the main drag in downtown Holland. As it's been over 40 years, I just don't recall too much, other than getting a set of replacement points.
Old November 16th, 2020, 02:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. It was nice being at my desk. Relaxed day and we finished up with plenty of time to spare. It's been nice all day and was warmish when I got home but it's turned chilly all of a sudden. This will be my invitation to finish with the stove and get it cranked up.

I've used fabric dye a long time ago. I put it on a seat and when I drove the car the dye came off on my clothes. I'm sure formulations have come a long way since then. I used to work at a used car dealer and one of the guys would use Krylon on the carpeting. Made it a little crunchy but it looked nice.

Some people in the Amphicar club live in Holland MI. Sometimes they put on swim in's, though I've never been up there. Sounds like a good time. Our church went to a camp in Saugatuck which I think is around there somewhere.

So the pressure is off, Monday is over. If the rest of the week goes the same I'll be happy. Gonna get to the stove now. Have a good evening everyone.

Old November 16th, 2020, 04:04 PM

Good evening guys,

Pretty slow day around this neck of the woods. It's currently "Open Season" for Federal Retiree health coverage when we're allowed to choose new medical, dental, and vision plans if we desire. I started going through the 2021 literature for my current medical coverage to see what is changing, and will compare tomorrow to other plans that are available. Then I'll move on to looking at the dental and vision plans. Not my favorite thing wading through all the medical gobbledygook!. At least the process to actually make the change is easy if we choose, and if you don't want to change you don't have to do anything.

Hope everyone had a nice day and has a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 16th, 2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old November 16th, 2020, 10:24 PM

Mike, Saugatuck is just a few miles south of Holland, I went through there on my way to New Richmond, which is east of Saugatuck, where I took those fall pics a couple of weeks ago. back in the day Saugatuck was a vacation hot spot for the mobsters out of Chicago. When my mom and her friend were about 15 years old, they were in town there, and a guy in a Duesenberg called them over to the car, my mom stayed back on the sidewalk, but her friend stepped up to the car, and the guy had a Thompson sub machine gun on his lap. I have a very badly corroded .25 or .32 caliber revolver that my mom found on the side of the road in the '30's, she always speculated that it was a Saturday night special, used by one of those guys, never knew for sure.
Old November 16th, 2020, 10:30 PM

Here's a pic of it. It has zero markings or numbers on it.
Old November 17th, 2020, 01:40 AM

Cool, I guess the hammer is missing
Old November 17th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Cool, I guess the hammer is missing
James - Not sure if that particular pistol is one or not, but there have been 100's of models of hammerless revolvers through the years. Smith and Wesson's most popular model ever was a hammerless design they started making in 1887.

Old November 17th, 2020, 04:52 AM

I know, I just couldn't tell from the pic
Old November 17th, 2020, 04:57 AM

I know, I just couldn't tell from the pic
I can't tell either, but it probably isn't hammerless because it doesn't look like there's enough space in the receiver behind the cylinder to be a hammerless design.
Old November 17th, 2020, 05:06 AM

The roads in Northern WI were awful yesterday. Today looks so much better.Have a great day.
Old November 17th, 2020, 07:51 AM
Running On Empty

One item which appears to be missing is the trigger/finger guard - there were some but not very many made w/ no trigger/finger guard. I suspect it broke off or rusted away. What is that piece at the bottom of the grip? In case you want to bang someone over the head w/ it?
Old November 17th, 2020, 08:46 AM

Norm, Kinda hard to tell but it could be for a lanyard

To me it looks like the trigger folds up out of the way [when not ready to fire]

Some German Bulldogs do that
Attached Files
File Type: html
german bulldog.html (466.8 KB, 3 views)
Old November 17th, 2020, 09:33 AM

Good morning guys,
Well the deer are definitely in rut here. Just saw a doe go through behind my house about a half hour ago, and then watched this young buck for about 20-minutes as he came through behind her. His nose was to the ground until I stepped out on my deck to take pics. Love to see the wildlife!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old November 17th, 2020, 09:43 AM

That would be my guess a lanyard. The trigger does fold up against the bottom of the gun. The hammer is missing. Very small, derringer I would assume. I took it to a gunsmith years ago, but he could not I.D. it, and said that without any serial numbers to identify what it is, he wouldn't be able to get parts to restore it.
Old November 17th, 2020, 09:45 AM

Nice deer pics. I always see the doe's around here, but the bucks must be hanging back in the woods.
Old November 17th, 2020, 10:01 AM

That would be my guess a lanyard. The trigger does fold up against the bottom of the gun. The hammer is missing. Very small, derringer I would assume. I took it to a gunsmith years ago, but he could not I.D. it, and said that without any serial numbers to identify what it is, he wouldn't be able to get parts to restore it.

Don;t tell anyone but I "think" it's also illegal to own a gun w/o serial numbers. I would just say it's parts and not an operational firearm
Old November 17th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Serial numbers apply only to firearms manufactured after a certain date, so an old piece such as this may be exempt.

I am surprised there aren't any manufacturer's ID markings on it. I would have thought anyone making a product would want the company name on it, at a minimum for advertising purposes. I mean, if someone back then saw it, liked it, and wanted one, how would they know what to look for?

edit: I just looked up the serial number requirement and it was enacted October 22, 1968 for all firearms. I assume as part of the Gun Control Act of 1968. The 1934 NFA required serial numbers on centerfire rifles and pistols. A firearm manufactured prior to then that never had a serial number is OK.

This ATF publication has good info:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/un...ter-2/download

Last edited by Fun71; November 17th, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old November 17th, 2020, 12:02 PM

Kenneth, You of course are right, I wasn't thinking of age. Yep the good ole 1968 law changed alot of things
Old November 17th, 2020, 12:43 PM
Running On Empty

This firearm was most likely made in the 1800’s - it isn’t a flint lock, so 1800’s is a fair guess. There were virtually no restrictions, no laws, etc. governing firearm manufacturers and distribution. This firearm could be from Argentina, Mexico, France, Guam, or Tim Buck Too.
Old November 17th, 2020, 01:08 PM

Don;t tell anyone but I "think" it's also illegal to own a gun w/o serial numbers. I would just say it's parts and not an operational firearm
It is illegal to remove serial numbers, but prior to the Gun control act of 1968 serial numbers were not required, and many cheap guns had none. Dealers list them in their books as "NSN" for no serial number.
Many inexpensive firearms didn't bother with numbers.
Its a wall hanger, and not worth restoring.

Here is my Browning vest pocket pistol from 1912 made by Fabrique Nationale. It does have a number.
Old November 17th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Homemade firearms that the media likes to call "Ghost Guns" also have no serial number requirement by Federal law. A company called Polymer 80 sells unfinished receivers that can be finished with simple tools and Glock parts. They work just fine.
Old November 17th, 2020, 01:15 PM

My Griswald and Gunnison [made during the recent unpleasantness] has serial numbers [hand stamped]

Old November 17th, 2020, 01:20 PM

Nice smoke wagon, James!
Old November 17th, 2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
Nice smoke wagon, James!
Thanks, best investment I ever made. At one time I had 4 Georgia made pistol [not Columbus]

I have actually held a Dance in my hands BUT, like so many other things fakes started to scare me. If anything is worth enough someone will fake it. I also have seen [ not touched] a 7th Calvary uniform. Anyway, I sold out after doubling my money,

I had them , enjoyed them and let someone else have a spin of the wheel

plus The recent unpleasantness has lost alot of appeal I still have some more common stuff but nothing as rare as Georgia pistols
Old November 17th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Running On Empty

I was up w/ the worms. Assembled my tools/equipment. Disassembled the front porch hand rail from the newel post, cut out the concrete w/ the diamond blade, removed all the concrete w/ my pneumatic hand-held jack-hammer chisels, set the form, poured the concrete, plumbed the newel post and finished up about 1 hour ago. Concrete is ~2' deep - I'll give it several days before I reattach the hand rail to the newel post & install a new cap.

It's going to be a tad chilly tomorrow morning. Normal tee-time is 8:36am, temp. is expected to be ~40°F gradually warming to 48°F by noon w/ a 15mph wind.

Old November 17th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Chilly out, but chillier in the house. I was going to call the gas company today but got held up running a few errands. So I'll call them tomorrow, maybe. I could call them when I'm at work.

Guns, guns. My Dad had a bunch of guns and my Mom sold them all when he died. I keep thinking I should get a gun, but then I'd feel obligated to shoot someone. I don't know much about them, but with the way things are going around my house it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Norm did you bust up the whole landing or just the place around where the post goes? I like your wooden porch. People these days basically build a deck on the front of the house, with spacing between the floor boards and I don't think it looks right. Tongue in groove boards with about 10 coats of paint on them, that looks right.

Okay gonna clean up in the kitchen a little bit then I think hit the sack. The Day of Hump is upon us. Have a good evening everyone.