The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2020, 02:04 AM

Kinda like Pearl Harbor day. There's a little nip in the air

Mike, Here's a little Hotlanta history you may not know about. I knew the son of the builders, [who died in the fire] He had a real-estate property management business in Atlanta forever, The grandson was a worthless POS and ran it into the ground
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winecoff_Hotel_fire

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 7th, 2020, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Kinda like Pearl Harbor day. There's a little nip in air

Have a great day Olds friends
James - My wife and I were fortunate enough to be able to go to Hawaii on our honeymoon. We spent our first 3-days in Honolulu doing the tourist stuff. We went to the Arizona Memorial and on a tour of the Missouri Battleship. I have to say that standing on the visitor's platform over the Arizona, and watching the oil still floating up from her hull below, sent chills down my spine and brought tears to my eyes. Easily one of the most moving things I've ever experienced. The tour of the Missouri was awesome too. A person just can't get a feel for how large those ships and guns are without being there in person.

We got to go on a truly bucket list type adventure while in Honolulu. We went on an actual working submarine called the Atlantis that takes you down for about an hour and you get to see wreckage of planes and ships from the Pearl Harbor attack, plus natural reefs and fish. The interior of the submarine is set up so the occupants sit in just two rows, back to back, and there is a huge porthole about 3 ft. in diameter for every 2 people. You can see pretty well out of the portholes, but it is hard to take pics because the glass is so thick. Overall it was an amazing experience.

Touring the Missouri in 2010 on our honeymoon

Atlantis submarine tour on our honeymoon in 2010

Old December 7th, 2020, 07:30 AM

Chris, I wish I could remember which CO member once said, My uncle is still in the Arizona"
Old December 7th, 2020, 08:04 AM

Chris, I wish I could remember which CO member once said, My uncle is still in the Arizona"
James - During our skiff ride out to the Memorial our guide announced we had a Pearl Harbor Veteran on board with our tour group and introduced him. He got a rousing round of applause as the tears rolled down his cheeks. Incredibly moving and amazing! If you can't already tell, I have a tremendous respect and admiration for those who have served. Although I did not personally serve, I spent my entire +35-year professional career directly supporting, and working closely with members of all the services to produce the mapping, charting, digital guidance data, and intelligence products they needed to maneuver safely in the air, on the water, and on the battlefield.
Old December 7th, 2020, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - How are you feeling?

80W-90W front differential filled. Misty light rain most of the night just now abating. No golf today ground super saturated and a tad chilly. Cleaning tools, pans, putting stuff away. Will order the rear diff. gasket & spend the day indoors relaxing.
Old December 7th, 2020, 08:33 AM

Good morning guys,
Totally overcast and only 41 here at 1030. Sun is supposed to come out this afternoon but it's not supposed to get over about 45. At least there's no rain in the forecast for several days. If this was the worst we would get I'd take a whole winter of it.

No big plans. One of our neighbors just a few doors down is ripping out completely good hardwood flooring from several rooms. We went down and picked a whole truckload yesterday, and we are going for more here in a minute. It's pretty golden oak and my wife will use it for several future projects.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:20 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
One of our neighbors just a few doors down is ripping out completely good hardwood flooring from several rooms. We went down and picked a whole truckload yesterday, and we are going for more here in a minute. It's pretty golden oak and my wife will use it for several future projects.
Nice.

When I renovated this house I removed the old 100% wool rug w/ double jute underlayment to reveal the original tongue & groove 2.5" center cut Southern Yellow Pine flooring which I completely sanded & refinished. I had known this upon my purchase of the home to determine the flooring. They used the same Southern Yellow Pine for the add-on large kitchen and large mud-room entrance way on the backside of the home, but I couldn't salvage most of it as the old kitchen area near the sink was where they rolled out the old spinner washing machine, hooked it up to the indoor plumbing running water from the kitchen sink (it originally had electric well pump) then draped the discharge hose out through the window above the kitchen sink. Y'all recall those days? Long-story-short, the flooring in the sink area was beaten up from too much water damage and the entire kitchen flooring had a Lauan underlayment covered w/ two layers of two different linoleum flooring which I had to remove. I salvaged the majority of the original Southern Yellow Pine flooring as a base underlayment on top of the flooring joists, which I then secured HARDIEBACKER fiber cement underlayment on top of before laying/setting tile to the entire floor.

The largest (my town is 3800 residents including cats & dogs I believe) industry in our town is Atlantic Veneer. Actually, I believe it's the only industry remaining since they removed the old Menhaden plant(s). Anyways, I occasionally stop by their mill and browse their selections of remnant wood pieces. Those would be pieces remaining which weren't employed in the production of veneer - overruns, marginal board quality, etc. I've been doing this the past 20 years and I've walked away with some awesome wood - various teaks, mahoganies, black ebony, maples, oaks, etc. yadda, yadda. The majority of which I used to create various pieces on the last boat I owned, but I've created several household items as well and several large picture frames. I have a pretty decent amount out in the man-cave - just looking for the time and opportunity to fire up the woodworking tools one of these days.
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:27 AM

When I bought the boys camp I went to [after it closed for several years] We took down 12 cabins built in the 20's, I kept the ruff sawed pine boards, ran them through a planner and used them as random width flooring inn my addition to my 1896 farm house
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

When I renovated/remodeled the front porch, after removing ~10 - 15 coats of paint from the ceiling I was surprised to find a bowling alley had been installed for the ceiling. I was amazed. I resealed the seams and applied seven coats of UV Polyurethane. Every two tongue & groove boards sharing the exact same grain pattern. There was no way I was painting over those boards. You can be 99% assured no one who uses the front porch even notices or comments on the ceiling - except for me - sipping on a cold iced-tea on the porch staring at that ceiling.

Old December 7th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Running On Empty

I just finished reviewing my rear end - on my truck!!!
The Ford OEM 10.5" axle differential states it is lifetime sealed with lubricant, unlike the other two differentials Ford employed on several of the F-series axles, stating changing the differential fluid on the OEM 10.5" axle is not required. However, there is one caveat - UNLESS the differential has been submerged in water. Hah! Well, my truck axle was routinely submerged in (salt) water while towing and landing boats. I always did a freshwater rinse with the hose, but still. So, I'm definitely changing the fluid. However, I am not going to use a preformed cut gasket - although both Mahle & Felpro have one available. Instead, I'm going to use only Permatex Gear Oil Gasket Maker for the sealant.
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

When I bought the boys camp I went to [after it closed for several years] We took down 12 cabins built in the 20's, I kept the ruff sawed pine boards, ran them through a planner and used them as random width flooring inn my addition to my 1896 farm house
That's great stuff. I enjoy saving old wood like that. A couple I know South of Nashville (Franklin) built their beautiful 2-story home entirely from salvageable remnants. They spent ~10 yrs. salvaging materials from estate sales and the like until they had the materials needed - windows, window boxes, window casements, entrance door encasements, flooring, toilets, bathtubs, countertops, staircases, banisters, etc.
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Nice.

When I renovated this house I removed the old 100% wool rug w/ double jute underlayment to reveal the original tongue & groove 2.5" center cut Southern Yellow Pine flooring which I completely sanded & refinished.
Norm - What a coincidental story to what happened at my folks house. My Mom was pregnant in 1966 with my sister, and the house (picture with the Valiant in the driveway) that we were living in only had 2 bedrooms and my sister was going to be the 3rd child. Just happened that our neighbors kitty-corner across the street from us were moving and had a 4-bedroom (one in the basement) home for sale that my parents purchased. That home had beige 100% wool carpeting throughout the 1st floor with the exception of the kitchen and bathroom. It was the most amazing carpet I've ever seen. That carpet went into that house in the early 60's and still looked decent 40-years later when my Mom finally decided to replace it. When we decided to finally pull part of it up to see what the sub-floor looked like, to our surprise we found a beautiful birdseye maple hardwood floor that only needed a light sanding and re-sealing to look new again. Wow!

You're lucky to have access to the place with the wood overruns/overstock. My wife would want to make a trip there every week to make sure she didn't miss a good piece. i have to say we have been lucky too, because with new construction still going on in our subdivision she has got most of her wood supply by asking the crews if we could scavenge their scraps.
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:14 AM

Norm and James - The front porch and flooring restorations are both beautiful! You both got skills, I'm impressed!
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:21 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm and James - The front porch and flooring restorations are both beautiful! You both got skills, I'm impressed!
Chris - Thanks.
Old porch vs. new porch.

Old December 7th, 2020, 11:27 AM

Chris - Thanks.
Old porch vs. new porch.

Awesome transformation, you have a beautiful home!
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:33 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. The stuff no one will recognize. That front door I purchased in Argentina - 100% solid mahogany. Shipped from Argentina>California>North Carolina. I finished the door. Tons of stories - I like vintage stuff. All the work I did on the house I maintained all the original motifs and materials. No plastics, all wood, stone, brick, tile, etc.
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:39 AM

I just finished reviewing my rear end - on my truck!!!
The Ford OEM 10.5" axle differential states it is lifetime sealed with lubricant, unlike the other two differentials Ford employed on several of the F-series axles, stating changing the differential fluid on the OEM 10.5" axle is not required. However, there is one caveat - UNLESS the differential has been submerged in water. Hah! Well, my truck axle was routinely submerged in (salt) water while towing and landing boats. I always did a freshwater rinse with the hose, but still. So, I'm definitely changing the fluid. However, I am not going to use a preformed cut gasket - although both Mahle & Felpro have one available. Instead, I'm going to use only Permatex Gear Oil Gasket Maker for the sealant.
Norm - With your truck being a 2003 with 180K-miles, and all the towing and submersion of the rear axle, it should be really interesting to see the condition when you get to it. My 2000 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 only has 97K-miles on it, but I've never changed the fluids in the front or rear differentials or transfer case either. Mine had alot of submersions also over the many years I had boats, but only in fresh water. I'm not planning on changing mine anytime soon as little as I use mine anymore, unless I start to feel anything funny going on back there.
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I never want to feel anything funny going on back there, as well.
Old December 7th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Chris - I never want to feel anything funny going on back there, as well.
LoL!!!
Old December 7th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Chris - Thanks. The stuff no one will recognize. That front door I purchased in Argentina - 100% solid mahogany. Shipped from Argentina>California>North Carolina. I finished the door. Tons of stories - I like vintage stuff. All the work I did on the house I maintained all the original motifs and materials. No plastics, all wood, stone, brick, tile, etc.
Norm - I love vintage as well. My mom was very good at finding nice pieces of antique furniture and refinishing them. Fortunately for me, my brother and sister were not much into antiques so I got most of her pieces. Here are a few of my favorites.

Hand carved oak Loveseat

Chima cabinet

Oak serving buffet with the old leaded glass doors and mirror

Grandfather clock that is operational but we aren't running it right now because the chimes freak the dogs out

Library desk. The design on top is constructed of individual inlaid pieces of hand carved golden oak and cherry.
Old December 7th, 2020, 12:33 PM

--I am doing pretty darn good, Norm. thanks for asking. Today I dragged some replaced poles up our dirt road with my son's tractor. What fun!! That kind of work all men enjoy! I think it's like playing with trucks in the sand box at 6 yrs old!
--OK I am getting a little emotional again- hate that, Is it being a little sick? I don't know. It is Pearl Harbor day and you guys mentioned it so here goes!!
-- I was the usual airhead 19 year old in 1975, my parents just got a divorce and I had no clear plan of where to go. I walked in to the US Air Force recruiting office on a whim. The first question the recruiter asked was had I ever smoked pot, well of course I had, who hadn't? That was the end of that I was out the door. Then I went to the US Navy recruiter. I made sure he knew I had NEVER smoked pot! So Yep now I was going into the Navy! It was a delayed enlistment waiting for a school. I left for Great Lakes Recruit Training and realized right away that all the worlds problems were not my parents fault. Anyway, after Boot camp and "A" school I was sent to San Diego California. What a cake walk!! Perfect weather and the US government pays and provides me with meals and a place to stay!!!
-- We took a West Pacific cruise and were at the Pearl Harbor Naval Station. Me and a few buddies took the regular tour of the USS Arizona Memorial. Oh MY God!! I never even gave it a thought before. Now I was in the Navy and I knew what the regular Sunday morning routine would be. These guys were not prepared for what was going to happen. Probably lots of them just" Hit the rack" from a long night of partying a few minutes before the attack- Probably with Hangovers and all!!
Old December 7th, 2020, 12:59 PM

Chris, Beautiful pieces

Norm, If ya don't go on tour, ya should consider being an exterior decorator

BTW many people painted the T& G porch ceiling a Robin's egg Blue [I think it had something to do with keeping bees and or dirt dobber away\

[url]https://www.bobvila.com/articles/blue-porch-ceiling/#:~:text=Here%E2%80%99s%20Why%20So%20Many%20Homeow ners%20Paint%20Their%20Porch,ceilings%20had%20anot her%20benefit.%20...%20More%20items...%20
Old December 7th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Norm - Cool story about cuckoo clock. I always thought they were fascinating.

James - Thanks. I hope one of my daughter's will want them someday. I think they will since they are truly family heirlooms now.

Greg - I am glad you are feeling better!
Old December 7th, 2020, 01:37 PM

Norm, It was a Bob Vila article about porch ceiling were [are painted blue

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/blu...0Many%20Homeow
Old December 7th, 2020, 03:28 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I wanted to participate sooner but I sat down on the couch and was uncomfortable. So I went and laid down on my bed and fell asleep. I awoke to Tiger licking my nose and I had a nose full of slobber. Worse ways to wake up I suppose.

I totally love all the antiques, the old wood, the flooring, Norm's porch. When we were looking for a house for my Mom a couple years ago I went into this one that was awful. Walls had stains, the floors were wavy, everything needed paint, the yard was horrible. But the ceilings looked as good as the porch ceiling and I thought how odd, this crappy little house that was nothing when it was new had that beautiful ceiling. I'd try to recreate it somewheres else if I could. I've heard that about the blue ceiling before.

Jamesbo I've read about the Winecoff Hotel before. I can't even imagine it. The Realtor that sold me my first house was in that fire. She was on a lower floor and the firemen's ladder reached her floor and she, her husband, and their toddler daughter climbed down the ladder. An old person who used to live in the neighborhood her husband was a fireman and he responded to the fire. They were in Conley area and she said they could see the fire from their house.

One thing I want to do is go to the USS Arizona memorial. Last I heard it was closed because the landing pad for the tour boat was damaged and they were afraid the whole thing was coming apart. Funny, it wasn't too long ago I didn't realize that part of the ship was above water, and that you could see the ship resting on the sea floor. I read where the Navy wants to go down and drain the remaining oil from wherever it's leaking; they are afraid it will rupture and cause a marine disaster. I think they need to leave it just as it is. It will stop leaking in a few years, I'm afraid.

Greg glad you're feeling better. Driving a tractor is good medicine.

(My turn to play Norm) Chris the antiques are beautiful. Did the Chima cabinet come out of the steakhouse in North Carolina? I had a friend whose dad was a watch maker downtown Chicago. He had a Grandfather clock in the front room of their house. It never kept good time and I always thought it was odd that a clock owned by a watch maker didn't work right. So one day I was over there and I said hey Pops, why doesn't the clock keep good time? He said, because it's on an outside wall and the swings in temperature affects the mechanisms. Hm. He liked the clock there so he'd reset it every evening when he'd wind it.

Okay time to wind down for the evening. Haha, talking about clocks, winding down. Work was trying. I was training a guy to do my job(but not replace me) and he thought he was gonna just skate through it. He found out real quick that while it isn't rocket science, you still have to concentrate and know a few things. It was like pulling teeth to get him to do stuff. Maybe he'll call in sick tomorrow. Maybe I will.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 7th, 2020, 04:48 PM

Norm, I have one of those cuckoo clocks. Got it from my grandfather (Dad's side) when he passed, and no telling where he got it (Gramps's parents came to the USA from Germany). I was a little kid when it was given to me and it hung on my bedroom wall for as long as I can remember. Any time my Grandmother (mom's side) came to visit I got bumped out of my room so she had a bedroom, and she HATED the ticking and said it kept her awake, so I had to stop the clock as long as she was there. Interestingly, on multiple occasions I woke from a deep sleep when the clock stopped ticking because I forgot to wind it. I guess I was so accustomed to the sound that my brain noticed when it stopped. I still have that clock in an upstairs bedroom.
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:07 PM

Norm, your porch looks great. You have pretty good taste in colors. Chris, pretty nice looking woodwork there. I love grandfather clocks, I think that they are cool looking, and frequently have interesting details on them. My aunt had a coo coo clock when I was a kid, I always thought that it was neat, and of course I always wanted it. Stopped to visit her when I was 18 or so, with my mom (her sister), and the clock was gone. I may have mentioned this before, when I worked at Chris Craft, the cabin doors and framework on the larger cabin cruisers were teak veneer over mahogany plywood, that teak was a beautiful wood. I always referred to it as "tiger teak" due to it's dark and light grain. The smaller, leftover mahogany from the transom boards, was used to heat the factory via a huge wood burning boiler. If an employee wanted, we could buy a wheelbarrow of the scrap pieces for one whole dollar. I bought some, and used it for firewood while camping, much to the horror of an apparent wood lover, and later thief, as when he walked by my campsite, and saw the the wood, he asked if it was mahogany, I told him that it was. Later I left the campsite for awhile, and when I returned, about half of my wood was missing. Greg, good to hear that you are making a recovery, nasty stuff. Norm, luckily I won't be in Appalachia any time soon.
Old December 8th, 2020, 06:13 AM

Dan - Thanks for the compliment on the antiques. No wonder the Chris Craft boats are so beautiful using the teak and mahogany for construction. Great story about the fellow camper that had an eye for your scrap mahogany. Shame he couldn't just ask you for a couple pieces, I'm sure you would have obliged.
Old December 8th, 2020, 06:38 AM

Good morning guys,
Colder than a well diggers **** this morning. It was 24 at 0730 with a really heavy frost.

Second verse, same as the first. No, not "I'm Henry the VIII I am". That I have no big plans for today. Lest any of you guys think I might be exaggerating about my wife's woodworking addiction, oh sorry, I meant to say hobby, here are a few pics to document the disease!

Hope everyone has a great day!

In action removing brads from the haul of hardwood flooring we scavenged from our neighbor over the past few days. Note the large pile of brads on the table next to her.

Her woodshop. Enclosed in heavy vinyl sheeting to keep the dust down in the rest of the basement. We joke it's our "Breaking Bad" meth lab. Normally it's neat as a pin, but she's been working like a mad woman down there for weeks.

Wood stockpile.

More wood stockpile!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 8th, 2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old December 8th, 2020, 06:41 AM

Chris, Well it keeps her pout lof the shoe stores

My wife's mantra is "If the shoe fits buy it"

Chili ere too
Old December 8th, 2020, 06:53 AM

Chris, Well it keeps her pout lof the shoe stores

My wife's mantra is "If the shoe fits buy it"

Chili ere too
James - You're absolutely right! I am lucky she has very simple tastes, about as far from being a fashionista as you can get. Jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes (or boots) work just fine for her. Truth be told, I'm the one with the expensive hobbies. I have been threatened that if I buy anything else with a motor, we are getting a 3rd bulldog! As much as I love them, I don’t think I could take a 3rd, even in a king size bed.
Old December 8th, 2020, 08:03 AM

Chris, Wow she does have a addiction, err, hobby I mean. Looks like a great shop to work in. She does great work! You are a lucky man!
Old December 8th, 2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, Wow she does have a addiction, err, hobby I mean. Looks like a great shop to work in. She does great work! You are a lucky man!
Thanks Greg, you're right, I am lucky in more ways than I deserve! I'll pass on your compliment on her work. She's only been doing it about 4-years, and is self taught mainly via You Tube and other instructional videos. I'm pretty proud of her.
Old December 8th, 2020, 09:59 AM

Dang, a lot of wood, but not a bad habit to have. Chris, do me a favor, and make sure that the space heater is nowhere near the plastic sheeting. it looks close in one pic.
Old December 8th, 2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Dang, a lot of wood, but not a bad habit to have. Chris, do me a favor, and make sure that the space heater is nowhere near the plastic sheeting. it looks close in one pic.
Dan - Thanks, you're right, better safe than sorry with those space heaters. The pic you're talking about is deceiving though, the real distance is like you see in the first pic. She's good about not leaving the heater going when she leaves the work area, even for a minute, and we do have a portable extinguisher right there in the shop. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure though. I need to get her a couple of good ceramic element heaters that don't get hot enough to start a fire like those quartz element one's can.
Old December 8th, 2020, 01:08 PM

Old December 8th, 2020, 01:36 PM

Speaking of wood. I start my new job next Monday. I received my new company t-shirt yesterday.

Norm - Always knew you were a lumberjack . . . But you're OK!
Old December 8th, 2020, 02:00 PM

Jimbo - You're making what?

Nutt'in It's my new invention, Using a coat hanger fer a cook book holder
Old December 8th, 2020, 02:46 PM

Nutt'in It's my new invention, Using a coat hanger fer a cook book holder
James - Your last name isn't Popeil is it??? You'd better hurry up and get your patent application in, could be worth millions!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 8th, 2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old December 8th, 2020, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Went for a nice long ride this afternoon after work. Wanted to check on a piece of property that actually wasn't far from that burned down house. Turned onto the road of the property and saw it was a safe haven for dumping $hit, everywhere, so that was the first and only red flag. Turned around right then. Went past that burned down house. The front wall was the most intact, nothing left of the interior. What a shame. Then we went past a house on the way home. Nice place, four acres, fronted a busy highway. Nope. After that came home. Tiger went with and we took the pickup. I thought if we were going to go bouncing through woods I didn't want to get stuck, but we never got that far. Oh well.

So Dan, you went camping a someone walked past and admired your wood. Now that's something right there. Hey, if Norm can wear that shirt...

I think I'll start the wind down process a little early. That was about 180 miles this afternoon. Tomorrow is Day 3 of training. It went a little better today but my study needs to pick it up a little and also pay more attention to me. I could tell him to get lost and then he'd have to figure it out on his own. I'm trying to help him out but he's too conceited to see it. He'll see it eventually.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

​​​​​​​