The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold and overcast today. No rain. When I let Tiger out a minute ago it looked like the sun was trying to come out, but I think that's just my brain wishing for it. Work was good, but it seemed like a long day.

And that's about all I got. No plans for this afternoon. I think I'll just veg. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 12th, 2021, 02:18 PM

Good afternoon guys,
I had errands to run this morning, the bank, a few groceries, and Lowes to get more paint and some sandpaper for the wife's latest project.

Absolutely gorgeous out today for the middle of January. Sunny and 53 right now. Tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be carbon copies. Stored vehicles will get started and pulled out into the driveway tomorrow for a quick light duty cleaning. I think it's fun to start them up just to hear them run!

Wife's making an awesome spicy white chicken chili for dinner tonight with cornbread. The chili has Rotel and roasted jalepenos in it so it's pretty spicy, but I like really spicy food. She's also making my favorite desert of all the ones she makes. It's a banana cake made from scratch with with homemade cream cheese icing. I will definitely be 5 lbs heavier 4-days from now. She may eat one small piece and I won't be able to stop myself from devouring the rest.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old January 12th, 2021, 03:40 PM

Sometimes a Tuesday feels like a double Monday.

I'm daydreaming about Spring, rolling out my Toronado, and I promise to not be so afraid of adding mileage this summer. Come on Springtime.

Its not Spring until the salt is washed off the roads.
Old January 12th, 2021, 04:52 PM

Here's what the spicy chicken chili and the banana cake look like. Still waiting on the cake to cool before the icing goes on.

Old January 12th, 2021, 05:01 PM

Norm - Your dinner sounds pretty damn tasty too! Can never have too much butter!!!
Old January 12th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Beautiful day, sunny high of 65, got up about 7:30 am, still chilly in the am (overnight low 39 ) so I waited for it to warm up a bit rolled the Olds out checked all the fluid levels did a dust off in and out and hit her with quick detailer, she will be ready for a round of errands tomorrow with a duplicate forecast ahead.
Making sausage and okra gumbo using andouille sausage, I love andouille I could use smoked sausage but I much prefer the andouille when available adds that great smokey taste, some people not a fan of okra but I like it in gumbo !! I would love to put shrimp in it but the wife not a fan of seafood so I will replace it with a little chicken. my mouth is starting to water I love gumbo !!!
Gaining ground on restoring my mothers vanity/dressing table for my oldest daughter, going to take a day off on it tomorrow. tried something different for the finish (a departure from my usual Tung oil ) I'm using Minwax wipe on poly, happy with the results so far.

Last edited by solly; January 12th, 2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old January 12th, 2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by solly
Beautiful day, sunny high of 65, got up about 7:30 am, still chilly in the am (overnight low 39 ) so I waited for it to warm up a bit rolled the Olds out checked all the fluid levels did a dust off in and out and hit her with quick detailer, she will be ready for a round of errands tomorrow with a duplicate forecast ahead.
Making sausage and okra gumbo using andouille sausage, I love andouille I could use smoked sausage but I much prefer the andouille when available adds that great smokey taste, some people not a fan of okra but I like it in gumbo !! I would love to put shrimp in it but the wife not a fan of seafood so I will replace it with a little chicken. my mouth is starting to water I love gumbo !!!
Gaining ground on restoring my mothers vanity/dressing table for my oldest daughter, going to take a day off on it tomorrow. tried something different for the finish (a departure from my usual Tung oil ) I'm using Minwax wipe on poly, happy with the results so far.
Solly - Sounds like a great dinner for you too! I love andouille sausage too, the hotter the better!

My wife recently used the MinWax polyacryllic as a final sealant over the top of the table and chair seats she recently refinished. We love the way it turned out and so far it seems very durable. Good luck with the rest of your project.

Old January 12th, 2021, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Solly - I agree the Andouille sausage is a much better sausage for gumbo, and one of the very few recipes/dishes I make with Okra is gumbo - I can't imagine a gumbo without Okra. My only reservations with the Minwax has been Minwax has a tendency to retain an ever so slight tackiness to its finish even after it has dried and set for well over one month, two months, etc. Put a plate, coffee cup, book, etc. on a Minwaw finish and you can feel the ever so slight tackiness to its finish - unlike Tung oil.

EDIT: I just got to thinking about this. The woods I've found where the Minwax retains the slight tackiness have all been hardwoods. I've finished pieces of softer woods (e.g. pine, poplar, etc.) and I don't believe they retained that tackiness. Perhaps the softer woods allow the Minwax more absorption than the hardwoods.
Norm - Were you using just the original MinWax stain or the MinWax polyacryllic sealant. We have not experienced even the slightest hint of tackiness on the table top or the chair seats. The surfaces are slick and hard as a rock. They are solid oak.

Speaking of okra, I love breaded deep fried okra!
Old January 12th, 2021, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
The chili has Rotel and roasted jalepenos in it so it's pretty spicy, but I like really spicy food.
Well you can probably appreciate these backyard garden Habaneros. The wife loves them on pizza.

Old January 12th, 2021, 07:06 PM

Solly - I agree the Andouille sausage is a much better sausage for gumbo, and one of the very few recipes/dishes I make with Okra is gumbo - I can't imagine a gumbo without Okra. My only reservations with the Minwax has been Minwax has a tendency to retain an ever so slight tackiness to its finish even after it has dried and set for well over one month, two months, etc. Put a plate, coffee cup, book, etc. on a Minwaw finish and you can feel the ever so slight tackiness to its finish - unlike Tung oil.

EDIT: I just got to thinking about this. The woods I've found where the Minwax retains the slight tackiness have all been hardwoods. I've finished pieces of softer woods (e.g. pine, poplar, etc.) and I don't believe they retained that tackiness. Perhaps the softer woods allow the Minwax more absorption than the hardwoods.
Lets start here,
This vanity is made of pine, my mother bought it at a second hand store and when she bought it, it was abused more than a red headed step child and had already seen several incarnations, she cleaned it up and painted it ( of course) & added a lace skirt, she then handed it down to my oldest about 25 years ago where it has sat in her old room,she asked me if I could restore it because it was her Grandma's I said I would try but it needs a lot of work and I may have to modify, well pine is soft as you know and the bottom has more screw holes than baby swiss so I had to reposition the legs and add external support, I had to replace the frt of the drawer , so it was completely disassembled, stipped, sanded and refinished in a very dark ebony stain, I'm not done it still needs pulls, and I have to build and add a tilting mirror. and build a stool,If it were not my moms and for my daughter I probably would not spend this much time on pine furniture ,but at least its it real wood and not particle board.
I can not attest to the durability of the Wipe-on-poly yet but it went on great and dried very even (I used satin finish) we ditched the lace.
Gotta go sample the Gumbo !!!!!

Old January 12th, 2021, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well you can probably appreciate these backyard garden Habaneros. The wife loves them on pizza.

Kenneth - Those are beauties! Bring em on!!!
Old January 12th, 2021, 07:32 PM

Kenneth - The vanity looks really nice so far. Please post the finished product when you're done. I'm sure your daughter is going to love it, and alot of that will be because you refinished it for her. I'm so glad my brother and sister are not into antiques and did not want most of the really nice pieces my mom refinished. They are some of my most cherished items from my mom and my childhood.
Old January 12th, 2021, 11:41 PM

For those of you that want a simple [but good] use for clarified butter

https://www.familycookbookproject.com/recipe/2412679/piedmont-driving-club-buttered-saltine-crackers.html

Old January 13th, 2021, 05:39 AM

--Hi guys, well not really a weekend to look forward to. Friday we are going to the funeral of my cousin, then Saturday we are gong to a funeral service for my wife's cousin! Geez, what a dramafest it is turning into for my cousins family!
--My female cousin, was 12 years older than me and I thought the world of her- I had a huge crush on her- she was so perfect. When I was about 7 and her 19, she took me to a cabin my aunt had and we stayed a night just her and I . It was such a great time and memory. I thought she was the most perfect young woman. Anyway, she was going with a young man who I also thought was great. They were the perfect early sixties young couple. They got married and ended up having 3 girls and a boy. Just a perfect family, strongly involved with church, etc.. She ended up getting Alzheimer's and basically became a vegetable about 5 years ago. He took care of her completely- and I mean completely. She couldn't care for herself at all. I guess about 3 years ago their son somehow found a man on line somehow, who the son thinks is his brother. He says that my cousin and her boyfriend had this boy before they got married. Story is that she went thru pregnancy, delivered the boy and they gave him up for adoption. The son puts all this on his face book account! That he has a brother and all! This all has happened since my cousin has lost her mental abilities. So son has confronted his Dad about it and Dad has said it's not true. Son has said he will not attend the funeral and apears he is in a feud with his dad and sisters. So we will see how that funeral goes!!!
-- Oh and my wife's cousin got killed instantly in a car accident. That service shouldn't be so drama filled but sad....
-- Sorry to unload on you guys. You are not near and I can tell you things I won't bring up being uncomfortable, etc- you know... Well have a good one guys!!
--
Old January 13th, 2021, 06:40 AM

Chris - Kenneth? What’s in that banana bread!?
Norm - It's considered a cake, not a bread. The pic I posted is deceiving, that's a 12"x9"x3" pan. Other than it's made from scratch and she uses leftover overripe bananas, I don't know the receipe, but I will get it for you. Would you like the receipe for the from scratch cream cheese icing too? I always love it when she picks out more fresh bananas than I know she'll eat, because at some point I know I'll be getting a banana cake because she doesn't want to throw out the overripe ones.
Old January 13th, 2021, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Hi guys, well not really a weekend to look forward to. Friday we are going to the funeral of my cousin, then Saturday we are gong to a funeral service for my wife's cousin! Geez, what a dramafest it is turning into for my cousins family!
--
Greg - I am so sorry for your family's losses. You'll cherish those fond memories of your cousin forever, and with time the grief will fade. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family during this sad and difficult time.
Old January 13th, 2021, 12:47 PM

Chris - I have a cream cheese icing recipe, but thank you. I'm starving at the moment. It was 38°F at tee time this morning. 41/44

Tomorrow morning I'm donating a pint of claret.
Norm - That's too damn cold for golf! Not bad shooting for hitting a rock around the links! It's 55 here right now, but we don't have the sunshine we were supposed to have. I just got in from starting up all the stored vehicles and cleaning them up a tad. Takes a little while with covers and battery tenders on everything, and tight quarters. I also have to move the truck out into the street.. I have a 3 car garage, but with the 442, 2 large bikes, the daily driver, free standing shelving, a workbench, and separate garbage and recycling cans, it's pretty damned cramped in there.

Haven't had a chance to get the cake recipe yet. Wife went down the street early to finish up the painting she's helping our elderly neighbors with. I'm hungry too. I'll probably run for takeout later when she gets home so she doesn't feel like she has to cook. I'm thinking maybe Chinese, we both like it. Have a good evening.
Old January 13th, 2021, 01:01 PM

It warmed up to ~52°F as we finished ~1pm. It made it quite tolerable since the wind was only 1mph - 2mph. I began w/ six layers of clothing and finished with four layers.
Man, you are hard-core! I never enjoyed playing when I needed to wear more than 2 or 3 layers, I hate the feeling of being bound up. I'd much rather it be 100 than 40.
Old January 13th, 2021, 01:19 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold here and overcast. A little blue sky here and there but no sun. Okay that was fun, how about warm weather again.

Work was okay, not terrific, have to do it two more times. But I found out we're off Monday. I'll take it.

Greg that's sure too bad about your cousins. Where did the boy get the idea he had a brother? Hope he comes to his senses.

Got a couple little things to do this afternoon. I'm pretty sure bedtime will come early tonight.

Have a great afternoon everyone.

Old January 14th, 2021, 08:52 AM

One pint of my finest Claret donated to the community.
I had to think on this one awhile, but I finally got it. Your went and gave blood. You get 10 at-a-boys for being a good citizen!
Old January 14th, 2021, 01:00 PM

Mike, I think he went to DNA23 or some such BS. I guess they will compare your DNA and see if there is a match, etc. I remember once my sister was going to sign me up for a Christmas present, I told her I wouldn't do it. I is what I is and I don't need

or want to know any more.
Old January 14th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Hi guys,
Well, the weatherman pretty much screwed the pooch today. We were supposed to get more 50 degree weather and sunshine. What we got was overcast, a high of 40, and showers on and off all afternoon. Looking at snow flurries late overnight and throughout tomorrow, but not much accumulation. I HATE WINTER!

​​​​Yesterday I said we might get Chinese takeout, we ended up getting burgers from a local greasy spoon that has great burgers. Ended up going there because it's closer and they're fast. Wife had to clean house for the neighbor today so takeout again, tonight we did Chinese. Good stuff Maynard! Unusual for us to get takeout two days in a row.

Today was relegated to dog sitting, financial bookkeeping, and tax prep. Nothing exciting, but productive at least.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 14th, 2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old January 14th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. We breezed through our work and left a little early. When I got home I paid a couple bills and then Tiger and I took them to the Post Office so they'd go out today.. Good for us. I thought we might stop at the Awful house on the way home but I saw as we passed there was a server I don't like so we kept on truckin' .

Nice today. Sunny, in the 50s. Going to cool down for the weekend but no rain. Sometimes when I'm falling asleep at my desk from sitting too long I get up and walk down the hall. I go by a big roll up door so I can see the outside world. The shop I work in has no windows and I swear the world could end and we wouldn't know it. We're set up pretty good for tomorrow, it promises to be an early day.

Greg my sister did that DNA thing as well. Not sure what it got her except on some list somewhere. All three of us were adopted and my sister has dwelled on that for a few years now. She spoke with her birth mother and things didn't go well. Why she continues I don't know. I happen to know my birth mother died several years ago, so there's no need for me to do that, and I wouldn't anyway.

You know Norm that's one thing I've never done is give blood. Well, voluntarily. I don't even know what blood type I am. Good on you for doing it. The tech at the doctors office always seems to take a quart when I'm in there.

Seems I've finished up a little early this evening. I've really been digging watching TV in the evenings. Sure it's stuff I have on disc that I've seen a billion times, but it's still fun. I need to get a few more things, lilke the full series of MASH, and a couple more movies. And I need to hook up the VCR because I have a lot of things on tape I'd watch.

Okay one more to go. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old January 14th, 2021, 11:43 PM

Greg, my condolences on your families loss. One of my best friends sister thinks that they may have a half brother, so she posted it on FB for the world to see, accusing my friend, her brother, of being the dad. It got to the point that he took legal action against her. Some stones should just not be turned.
Old January 15th, 2021, 04:55 AM

Have a good day guys.
Old January 15th, 2021, 05:57 AM

Good morning guys,
Supposed to be a weird weather day with periods of snow flurries forecast throughout the day, but temperatures in the mid-30s. We were supposed to get some snow overnight too, but there was nothing on the grass or deck when I got up.

No real plans for me today. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 15th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a head start at work, and we all finished up by 930. One hundred wheels. We left at 1030. I suspect we would have left sooner but our lead was busy helping the other lead who had cut the hell out of his finger. This guy was white as a ghost and having trouble standing up. Someone took him to the nurse and then we left.

Beautiful out, and sort of warmish. It was warm this morning at 5 when I left, around 45*. No scraping the windshield today, yahoo! I'm glad my car warms up fast, my scraper does not match the curvature of the windshield, so I only get little streaks of ice scraped off.

I feel like I have plenty of things to do this afternoon, but I can't get anything to come to mind. I need to call a friend of mine then I think I'll go over to the shop and poke around. Long weekend and it will be nice(but cold) it really needs to count.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 15th, 2021, 03:12 PM

Good evening guys,
It's been snowing a very fine snow almost all day, but the ground has been too warm for it to stick until the last hour or so. We're still not supposed to get much accumulation, and it doesn't look like any is sticking on the streets yet.

Got an offer in the mail today from Spectrum (formerly Charter) for TV + Internet bundle for $45/month, no contract and price guaranteed for 12-months. We previously had Spectrum TV and Internet, but dropped the TV because the price got too outrageous. We kept the Spectrum Internet because it is essentially the only game in town where we are. Currently we're using Hulu streaming service for TV, which we like, but they just raised their price 12% this month for the package we have. I guess I'm going to be a sucker and call Spectrum to find out what the "real price" will be after taxes, fees, and equipment charges. It may be worth switching back if it saves $20/month, even if it's just for 12-months and they start jacking up the price again. What a frickin racket!

Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Old January 15th, 2021, 04:57 PM

Wow, it's actually winter somewhere. The Phoenix weather today was prolly the equivalent of a summer day for many parts of the country.

I went for a drive with the top down and laid a new layer of blacktop on a couple of streets.

Old January 15th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow, it's actually winter somewhere. The Phoenix weather today was prolly the equivalent of a summer day for many parts of the country.

I went for a drive with the top down and laid a new layer of blacktop on a couple of streets.
Kenneth - Nice weather! You deserve a nice long stretch after that brutal summer. It's nice to see you've been putting down some fresh rubber lately. I envy you, I miss getting to play with my toys.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 15th, 2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old January 15th, 2021, 06:46 PM
Banned

Well woke up in Denver. Took the dog out. Balmy 18 degrees. Brrr. Scraped my girls windows. Took off down the road. Spent my day cleaning my near 87 year old Dad's carpets all day. Take everyday. Every breath. Be thankful.
Old January 16th, 2021, 05:40 AM

Good morning guys,
Cold here at 34 at 0730. It's supposed to be totally overcast all day and the high is only supposed to be 36. You can see in the pic we got more snow overnight, but it doesn't look like the streets are too bad, although I did hear the snowplow come through in the middle of the night and they probably put down salt too. Looks like it's going to be a generally dreary winter day.

NFL Divisional Round playoffs start today with two games today and two tomorrow. Watching those is my major plan for today and tomorrow. I don’t intend to get out in this crap unless I absolutely have to.

My wife is under the weather with a toothache that has developed over the past couple of days. Right now she says it's a 3 on a scale of 10. She was able to make an appointment with the dentist for the 25th, but we're hoping they have a cancelation and can get her in sooner. She's a pretty tough cookie, but it kills me to think of her being in any kind of constant pain.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Old January 16th, 2021, 08:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out this morning, if not a little cool. No snow, though. Had a few things lined up to do but I think I'll end up running errands instead.

Chris I hope your wife's toothache goes away soon. Maybe try some Anbesol. I've had toothaches in the past and I know they are no fun. She should try rubbing ice on the palm of her hand.

This afternoon I'm going to look at some land about an hour or so from here. After that, if I can get ahold of the guy, I might run over to Birmingham area and check out a VW Caddy. He wants twice what NADA says it's worth, and they're usually high, but it is a VW diesel and I'm not the only one who knows gas is going up. Although maybe that's why he's had it for sale two months, because no one is buying at that price. Eh we'll see.

Kenneth I'd take those temps for sure. Highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s is too cold for me anymore. I can remember a time when that would be heat wave temps for this time of year. Ooh sorry I started twitching. I wonder if we fly to Ecuador.

Oldsfan I used to want to live in Denver. Went there when I was a kid and decided that was the place for me. Well, it snows there and gets cold and I don't want any part of it. My best friend lives there and I try to get out there to visit, and the flights are packed and I can't go. So someone likes it out there. Never tried in the winter. Probably lots of ski-ers.

Okay gotta get things moving. Can't decide if I want to take Tiger. He doesn't need to be home by himself but there might not be convenient times for him to get out and stretch his legs. He and I can discuss it later. Have a great day everyone.

Old January 16th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning

Chris I hope your wife's toothache goes away soon. Maybe try some Anbesol. I've had toothaches in the past and I know they are no fun. She should try rubbing ice on the palm of her hand.
Mike - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife! She has some Oragel which is similar to Ambesol that she's using on and off. It's tolerable right now, but it does need to be seen as soon as possible. Good luck with the property and car searches.
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Norm - Don't feel too bad, you tried, and even with that debacle you were more productive than I was. All I did was get my daily workout in and pick up dog poop. Sounds real productive right!

Separate subject, I wonder if anyone has heard from James. I don’t remember him posting at all for a few days now. I hope he's doing ok?
Old January 16th, 2021, 01:58 PM

James posted yesterday ~4:30pm on another thread regarding Brigitte Bardot. He generally heads up North to his retreat on the weekends. Maybe a busy day at his green cemetery?
Thanks Norm, glad to hear he's ok!
Old January 16th, 2021, 05:12 PM

On the bright side of things, we've added ~38 minutes of additional sunlight to our day length since December 21, 2020; and, there remains only 62 days until spring (Vernal Equinox).
Amen to that, we start seeing highs in the mid-60's by the middle of March and low 70's in April.
Old January 16th, 2021, 06:02 PM

Not much going on here, feeling a bit under the weather. Visited the porcelain god yesterday, that hasn't happened in 30 years. Norm, whenever I use the oven, I always put foil underneath whatever it is that I'm baking, just in case something goes where I don't want it. Got a small pork butt going in the slow cooker for sammichs later. Speaking of football. LaMar Jackson got a little help in his career from our highschool football coach, now a coach @ Ferris State. https://www.mlive.com/highschoolspor...gh-school.html

Last edited by 1969w3155; January 16th, 2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old January 16th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Always room for one more

Dan have you been eating black and white cookies?

Went to see that property, it was a bust. Not a lot I could do with it, and the way I had to get there was inane. No way I'd do that twice a day for work. So the search continues. I didn't make it to see the VW either, I couldn't get in to the credit union so no point in going without any money. Tomorrow I'm going to see a house on 10 acres. Pictures look okay, not sure the place is going to be what I think it is.

Norm that was really Top of the Muffin To You.

Wow, two Seinfelds in one post. John would be proud.

Okay, speaking of Seinfeld I think I'll pop a couple in to watch. Hope everyone is having a good evening.

Old January 16th, 2021, 11:54 PM

Norm, regarding cosmoline from another post. I got a plastic creamer jar of it years ago when I wanted to coat my heads. A long standing tool & supply shop had some. When I asked them about getting some from them, they asked if I had a container, to which I replied no! So he grabbed the empty dairy creamer jar that he had behind the counter and filled it up for me. Five bucks, he then asked if I wanted the rest of his supply which was in a 55 gallon drum. I thought, what the hell am I going to do with that? and said no thanks. They probably still have it sitting there.