The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2021, 08:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got out of work at a ridiculous 10:00 today. Loads of nose wheels helped that out. Gee had I known that I would have gone in early. So I took the opportunity to stop at the Awful house on the way home. A midweek treat.

It is beyond beautiful out. This weather doesn't have to end. Tentative plans to do more mowing. There's a place about an hour from here I want to go look at, but there's already an offer on it, even though it's been on the market about 12 hours. My agent seems to think the offer won't be accepted, he's going to call me back in a little while. I guess my new strategy is going to be when I see a house come on the market that I like, I'll just have my agent put in a full price offer. Then go see it later and back out if I don't like it. Sounds absurd but I feel like that's what everyone is doing. No way people can see a house go on the market and have it under contract in 4 hours.

I'm taking the dogmobile to the mechanic this afternoon to have the AC fixed. I'm sure it will be about 800 bucks. But it's cheaper than a new car and I can't have Tiger riding to Florida without AC. Or me. Hope they can finish it before Friday, when we're going to Florida.

Okay I think I'll get moving and get ready to hear from my Realtor. Happy Hump Day everyone.

Old May 26th, 2021, 09:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Nice work Norm Do you brick up one column and then the next or do you lady courses on all three and them go up.
Thanks, James. I won't be laying down lady courses - the span between columns is too great and I'd spend more time fighting a string than what it's worth.
Old May 26th, 2021, 04:08 PM

Good evening guys,
We had a birthday girl in the house today, our bulldog Maggie Mae turned 3. She got 2 new new toys (although Monty has claimed one), and Mom made her and Monty birthday egg and cheese pup cakes. She's had a good day!

Wife had a dentist appointment this morning, and then we hit the UPS store to process some online returns, and then Walmart. Pretty exciting stuff! Very warm here still, I think it got up to 87 or 88, temperature in the garage is reading 93. We were supposed to get rain today but it never happened.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Two-layer egg and cheese pup cake

Here's the birthday girl, loving every bite of her cake. It's so hard to believe she's 3! Where does the time go???

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 26th, 2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old May 26th, 2021, 10:26 PM

Chris, your dogs may be spoiled! Don't worry about the rain, we got it Tues. night. The official amount at the airport was .75", but it came down at my house in torrents, so, I asked my neighbor & co worker what he had in his rain gauge. 2" was the reply. We needed it as we are still about 4" below average for the spring season. The downside is my grass grew like a son of a gun, and will have to be cut again this weekend.
Old May 27th, 2021, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, your dogs may be spoiled!
Nah, ya think??? The really funny thing is I actually think they appreciate it more than my kids did! Of course now that my girls are adults and making their own way in the world, they look back and realize how great they had it. That's one of the wonderful things about a good dog, unconditional love and they get such joy from such simple things!
Old May 27th, 2021, 06:43 AM

Truth be known, I like dogs a whole lot more than people
Old May 27th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Running On Empty

^^x2!!!^^
Old May 27th, 2021, 08:04 AM

^^x3^^
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:01 AM

Arrg! Time for a small vent. I have a great niece who is going to get married on Aug. 7th. This is the same day of the Red Barns Spectacular at the Gilmore Car Museum. I never miss this show, it is large, and has everything from musclecars to vinatge boats and camping trailers. A great show, which I must now miss in order to drive 100 miles North, into the boonies for previously noted great niece who, has been with this guy for five years, popped out two kids, and is the second marriage for the both of them. If I don't go, I'll be accused of not liking her new hubby (who seems actually to be a nice guy) and of course not liking her new family (inlaws). Yep, I'd rather go to the show, relax hours later at home with the cat and a beer.
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:25 AM

I missed my 50 high school reunion to drive 50 miles to my wife's sister's son's wedding People are so inconsiderate not to elope
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:33 AM
Jeff

My niece is getting married on July 3rd. We normally jet up north to the cottage for a long vacation week, now it's going to be pushed out 3 days.
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:43 AM
Running On Empty

I attended neither my undergraduate pomp & circumstance (Univ of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign) nor my graduate pomp & circumstance (Univ of Oklahoma, Norman) ceremony. They send those sheepskins in the mail or you can pick them up at your leisure. I had them send mine to me. Pretty sure I missed nothing.

Dan, have a nice time at the wedding. Are they Youpers?
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Norm, I got my Emory B School via US mail
Old May 27th, 2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Arrg!
Yep, I'd rather go to the show, relax hours later at home with the cat and a beer.
Dan - Tough predicament you've got, sounds like the proverbial lose/lose! Good luck with that one!
Old May 27th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - I had to take a break from the shoveling & setting concrete forms & while doing so I looked up distances North of Muskegon. I guess the Youpers would be about 200 miles North of Muskegon. Although, if the wedding is in the Traverse City area or around that area, it sure is a nice area (I'm more than certain you know). I used to spend time in the Leland area - I love that area. Both of my younger brothers live directly West of Leland - one brother in Wallace, MI (Youper) the other brother one mile West across the Menominee River (a stone's throw) in Wisconsin. And, they both talk like they're from Canada der dontchaknow eh.
Old May 27th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Running On Empty

James - I always thought Emory University had a very nice campus. I mean, for a campus to be situated smack in the middle of Atlanta it really holds its own. I suspect Atlanta literally grew around Emory as the year's passed.
Old May 27th, 2021, 12:00 PM
Jeff

Norm, GET IT RIGHT! IT'S "YOOPER"!!!

Sorry, had to defend my brethren to da north, eh, especially when da UP gets left off the map of the US so damn often. The most egregious example being the Jeep ad that ran during the Super Bowl.
Old May 27th, 2021, 12:07 PM
Running On Empty

Jeff - My apologies. Atrocious grammar on my part!
Old May 27th, 2021, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Pretty exciting stuff! Very warm here still, I think it got up to 87 or 88,
Heh, we had those temps last week when a cold front came through. It was really nice. Now we're boppin back up into triple digits.
Old May 27th, 2021, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - I always thought Emory University had a very nice campus. I mean, for a campus to be situated smack in the middle of Atlanta it really holds its own. I suspect Atlanta literally grew around Emory as the year's passed.

Norm, Emory was moved there in 1915 from Oxford [outside Covington, Ga} Where it started in 1836. Oxford is now the junior college i

The Candler family [a la Coca Cola] moved it to near their homes [mansions] in Druid Hills. I mean if you're gonna have a subdivision, ya need a train station, golf course [Druid Hills CC] a school and a Hospital and of course a church [Glenn Memorial UMC which has a coke bottle on top rather than a cross] [sorry ole Emory Joke

It's really on the east side of Atlanta [and a different county] the family had the property annex into Atlanta

Oxford was a lot of fun, I hated every minute I was at Emory WAY TOO LIBERAL. The Old Richard Rich B school [ as in Rich's department store] wasn't as bad as the collage. My old building has been replace with the Goizeuta [old coke pres] shiny new B school. I've never darkened the door

My daily objectives were to get laid and get out. In that order
Old May 27th, 2021, 01:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Didn't fare so well today, got out at 130. Not a lot of nose wheels(they go fast) and a lot of heavys, and the bad lead said one hour lunch and they turned off the washer. Eh, I didn't have a lot to do after work.

Hot today, but it seems hotter at home than it did at the airport. It will be hotter at the airport tonight. Chance of rain over the weekend, what a shame I won't be home. Though we could use it.

Jamesbo what did your license plate frame say on the back of your Healey?

Norm if you knew anything at all about Christmas music you'd know it was Yooper.

Chris glad your girl is enjoying her birthday. Is that her real birthday or one that you chose for whatever reason?

Okay I'm gonna go clean up the dogmobile a little. Got it back from the mechanic. The problem was a bad switch, everything else was okay. So I spent a hundred bucks instead of 800. Not bad.

Old May 27th, 2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Heh, we had those temps last week when a cold front came through. It was really nice. Now we're boppin back up into triple digits.
Yes, but your's is a dry heat . . . you won't be soaking wet when you get the heat stroke!
Old May 27th, 2021, 01:20 PM

Mike, The frame said Baker Motors. I don't remember the tag number but [back in those days] it was 1- to designate Fulton County
Old May 27th, 2021, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris glad your girl is enjoying her birthday. Is that her real birthday or one that you chose for whatever reason?

Okay I'm gonna go clean up the dogmobile a little. Got it back from the mechanic. The problem was a bad switch, everything else was okay. So I spent a hundred bucks instead of 800. Not bad.
Mike - Yesterday was her real birthday. Both our dogs are AKC registered English Bulldogs that we got from the same breeder in far southwestern Missouri, so their real birthdays are on their registration papers. I would have been just as happy with a mixed breed from a shelter, but my wife always wanted a purebred bulldog, so that's what we got. Glad you got off relatively easy on your A/C! Safe travels to your Mom's place.
Old May 27th, 2021, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Yes, but your's is a dry heat . . . you won't be soaking wet when you get the heat stroke!
So very true! A few days ago one of the weather reports showed the dew point was -5º in the SE part of the state. Talk about DRY!
Old May 27th, 2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So very true! A few days ago one of the weather reports showed the dew point was -5º in the SE part of the state. Talk about DRY!
On one of my golf trips with a couple buddies to where my relatives live in the Green Valley, AZ area one time, I suffered a mild case of heat stroke. We had played 18 in the morning, then since the golf was free because of my relatives connections, we had the bright idea to play a second 18 in the afternoon in the heat of the day. None of us felt overly warm while we were playing, no one was soaking wet, and nobody felt bad until we got off the course. A few hours later we all had varying degrees of headache, nausea, and chills! Apparently none of us had drank enough water! Luckily we all felt better by the next morning. I learned a valuable lesson about Arizona heat that day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 27th, 2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 27th, 2021, 05:43 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I completely forgot about 'Da Yoopers' (that could be a good thing) - I should have known better. They are crazed, although I never heard/saw 'Rusty Chevrolet'. My youngest brother started sending me 'Da Yoopers' YouTube videos many years ago - round about the time I was watching the only real entertainment on Television - 'The Red Green Show'.
Old May 27th, 2021, 09:51 PM

Norm, he is a yooper, and they currently live in Vulcan, Mi. in the U.P. They go to Green Bay for pretty much everything, doctor, groceries, etc. The wedding will be in Blanchard, Mi. which is north of Stanton, home of the Purestock Musclecar shootout. It takes me 1 1/2 hours to get there, so, another 20 minutes north of there. Will probably take M66 to get up that a ways. His family bought 200 acres around the Manistee area, and they wil be building a home there. I looked up the wedding location, Serendipty Farms, jeesh, a gi-normous "wedding barn" as it's called, for crying out loud.
My old building has been replace with the Goizeuta
Goizeuta? and you thought Zamboni was bad!
Old May 28th, 2021, 03:54 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - While I don't specifically recall Vulcan, MI I've spent a fair amount of time in the Iron Mountain area. Serendipity Farms - built by the Amish - dedicated to Weddings - crazy. I see lots of polkas and waltzes in your near future.
Old May 28th, 2021, 04:30 AM

Norm, This PGA twitter nonsense is getting out of hand. I now see Paige has joined the stupidity. I agree with she's not the brightest bulb in the box. I know when your poking the fire ya don't look at the mantle but sooner or later ya gotta talk to them
Old May 28th, 2021, 04:40 AM

Wow, 38 degrees here this morn and windy. Steam vapors coming off lake and I'll bet temp of lake is only 60 or so. brrrr.....
Old May 28th, 2021, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Wow, 38 degrees here this morn and windy. Steam vapors coming off lake and I'll bet temp of lake is only 60 or so. brrrr.....
Greg - Yikes, that is chilly! Not that bad here, but we're headed that direction with lows of 43 and 42 forecast for Saturday and Sunday, and highs around 60, way too cold for this time of year!
Old May 28th, 2021, 07:57 AM
Jeff

Yeah, my thermometer still says it's in the 40's out there. A/C was just on two days ago. Stupid MI weather.
Old May 28th, 2021, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Yeah, my thermometer still says it's in the 40's out there. A/C was just on two days ago. Stupid MI weather.
Yes, stupid Missouri weather also, I was just sitting at the car show last Saturday with it 90 degrees!!!
Old May 28th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Jeff

Holy farts in your face bad idea, Batman!!!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/d...rds/index.html

I hate flying, this would make me hate it even more.
Old May 28th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Wow, now that's a better mousetrap, just what everyone wants, someone else's **** in their face!
Old May 28th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well I didn't think we'd pull it off, but we were done by 11. The rest of the group will probably stay untili 230 but that isn't my problem. The bad lead was mad because few people wanted to come in for overtime tomorrow, I can't image why on a long holiday weekend, so his punishment to us was to sign off 170 wheels, and also break down 180, the extra being for tomorrow. What a dick. So we spun 360 halfs between 500 and 1100. Not bad.

Dan I happened to notice on the back of the CRJ nose wheels it says IVCO ALCOA. Might be IVCQ. I don't think you've mentioned that one before.

I read that article about the airplane seats. Never happen. The people on the bottom will have living room leg room, and the people on the top will be scrunched up against their own personal bulkhead. The biggest thing is safety. How are all those people going to get out? The bottom people will be trampled by the top people jumping down on them. The top people will be falling all over the bottom people, and there will be piles of people and no one will get out. Also, the cloud pod guy is a dope. Sure there's space above the cabin ceiling. Where does he think the air conditioning ducts are, the electrical boxes, the miles and miles of wiring and cables, the support for the ceiling of the cabin and the overhead bins? Can't put any of that below the floor because that's where the bags and the freight go. Design study. Don't they think that in the 107 years of commercial aircraft service every possible configuration has been thought of? Besides that, any airplane that has this new seating put on it has to be recertificated. They are rated for a certain number of people to evacuate in a certain time period. No I don't watch the AIRPORT! movies anymore.

Weather here is beautiful. Not as blazing hot as it has been. Good day for driving. I hope we can get going in the next hour or so. Don't know for sure what I'll be doing this weekend but if the weather is nice in Pensacola as well I'll be doing chores outside.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone. I'll check in later. I'm bringing my laptop with me so I don't miss out on any house deals.

Old May 28th, 2021, 10:29 AM
Jeff

I couldn't get past the first obvious thing, Mike. I don't want someone's *** in my face, but hell yes to all the other things you pointed out. Makes you wonder how this kind of info even gets out to the media. Just a bunch of dumb ideas without any thought of safety or functional design.
Old May 28th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, This PGA twitter nonsense is getting out of hand. I now see Paige has joined the stupidity. I agree with she's not the brightest bulb in the box. I know when your poking the fire ya don't look at the mantle but sooner or later ya gotta talk to them
James - No idea what's going on with PGA Twitter or Paige the dip switch. I signed up for FB the same year it was released & was on FB for what 15 years? I don't know. It will be three years now since I deleted my FB account. I don't have any social media accounts and I am so thankful I gave up all social media. Nothing but drama. As you said in an earlier post - I get along better with dogs than humans. I will look up to see what's going on w/ PGA Twitter & Paige the pie hole later this evening.

I shot a good game today. Yesterday I finished setting forms for the concrete pads. It's blazing hot and we need rain terribly. I'm going to try to find time this afternoon to cut my rebar for the concrete pad pours and the first course of CBU.
Old May 28th, 2021, 12:09 PM

WTH, how tall do they think airplane interiors are? Will there be an observation bubble on the roof for peoples' heads?

Originally Posted by Article
dual-level seat cabin, with each row alternating between on-floor seating, and seats elevated a few meters above ground