The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Nice pics, thanks, Like the lady said when she kissed the cow " It's all a matter of tatse"
James - You're welcome, and you're definitely right about the 2nd part!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:24 AM

Norm, nice work on the fence, your house looks really nice!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:42 AM

Well guys, I got back from trip to Indy, It was a great time, and it sucked, at the same time. Taking the old truck was the reason for both. It was fun, but it was hot, and it was hard to drive, especially when in a city. Oh and trying to navigate and turn around after getting lost? UGH!!! Truck did excellent, no issues at all in 950 miles, used no oil. OK why 950 miles when supposed to be only about 325 each way?? CUZ I GOT LOST ALOT!!! Do you know you can't buy a map anymore, at least I couldn't find one! And Google maps knows where you want to go better than you do. It will find a better , faster way for you and change it to that if you don't notice! I can't drive 80 mph so stayed off of interstates. Windows down can't hear phone, I would set a route on secondary roads and leave on the route only to find it had changed after going 10-15 miles out of the way and being told to enter on ramp to I69! I am trying to post some pics, cant seem to do it now, I'll keep trying.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well guys, I got back from trip to Indy, It was a great time, and it sucked, at the same time. Taking the old truck was the reason for both. It was fun, but it was hot, and it was hard to drive, especially when in a city. Oh and trying to navigate and turn around after getting lost? UGH!!! Truck did excellent, no issues at all in 950 miles, used no oil. OK why 950 miles when supposed to be only about 325 each way?? CUZ I GOT LOST ALOT!!! Do you know you can't buy a map anymore, at least I couldn't find one! And Google maps knows where you want to go better than you do. It will find a better , faster way for you and change it to that if you don't notice! I can't drive 80 mph so stayed off of interstates. Windows down can't hear phone, I would set a route on secondary roads and leave on the route only to find it had changed after going 10-15 miles out of the way and being told to enter on ramp to I69! I am trying to post some pics, cant seem to do it now, I'll keep trying.
Greg - Sounds pretty grueling, I know how warm it had to be just being out in my car yesterday afternoon for a short while at 87 degrees. Glad your truck performed like a champ though. You need one of those dash mounted Garmin (or similar) GPS units which are capable of much louder volume and are easy to see being right there on the top of the dash. They're not always right, but I love mine, and not crazy expensive. Good luck with the picture upload. Do you remember going by the Pennfield Township Fire Department and M-66 Bowling Alley where I grew up?
Old May 23rd, 2021, 11:21 AM
Running On Empty

BTW nice holes did you have to permit the project
I just finished the last of the holes. I watered each hole (three times) w/ water to cover the #57 rock/gravel to facilitate settling. I'll compact drive the rock/gravel with a 4"x4" then water again before pouring the pads. I believe I'm ~1/2 ton short on rock/gravel right now. I'd prefer to fill w/ rock/gravel as opposed to simply pouring in many more bags of concrete mix (which is a job itself).

Regarding did I "...have to permit the project..." Let me get back to you on that, James.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 12:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Norm, nice work on the fence, your house looks really nice!
Greg - Thank you. Regarding maps. I use Google Maps on my iPhone, works like charm. One thing you should note. When you first put in your Directions e.g. Begin Location & End Destination/Location you are generally provided with one or several routes you must choose (the darker of the blue lines). If you elect to take roads other than the path you chose by the dark blue line, simply move that dark blue line (with your finger) to the ancillary side roads you plan to take. It will keep track of your new side roads path and not attempt to steer you back to your originally chosen path.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 12:51 PM

Sorry Chris I don't remember seeing those places. I'll try some pics

Guess where I ate Friday morning! It was just awful!! Actually it was great and right next to my hotel.

Johnson County Fairgrounds where the Vintage Wheels swap meet was- pretty big....

This was my mobile internet station. The only shade I could find on the entire fairgrounds. I ate lunch here and searched for another place to go in Indiana. It was too late to start going home but too early to just stay in Franklin another night. I ended up finding Drag races in Muncie Indiana.

Drag races were great. It was a 1/8 mile track. Most all the cars pulled the front wheels at start. Not many Olds though. I had to get a pic of this Omega. Looks just like the V-6 one my Mom had in 1978. (well, Ma's was maybe not as good as burning out as this one!)
Old May 23rd, 2021, 01:02 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - Thanks for sharing the pictures. Did you look to see if there were any pictures of Mike hanging on the walls of the Awful House where you ate? So happy the truck had no issues on the road trip. Sounds like a good time at the 1/8 mile drag race - those are fun. I owned an X-Body GM car at one point in my life - a 1972 Nova.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 01:50 PM

Greg - Thanks for sharing the pics! I think there was supposed to be a large car show in conjunction with the swap meet, did you leave before that was going on, it might have been Saturday??? Drag races on the 1/8-mile would have been really fun. Bet you're pretty proud of your truck, I know I'd be, +900-miles is a haul! Great job heading out on your big adventure!
Old May 23rd, 2021, 01:53 PM
Always room for one more

Yay Greg! What trip is complete without the Awful house! I didn't know they were that far north. Glad you had a good time and didn't have any trouble out of the truck.

My first GPS was the hand held Garmin. What a disaster that thing was. It was always sending me totally out of the way, the wrong way, or if I was stuck in traffic it would wait until I was in the far lane and even with the exit, then tell me to get off at the exit. I'm not a cheerleader for Google, but the Maps app on my phone is lightyears better than that Garmin.

So my afternoon has gone great. I went to put the new blade on the mower, the blade that's on there is like brand new. Done! I scrubbed down a patio chair, and did two loads of laundry. We've already had our supper and now I can call my Mom early and get to bed early. I hope this week goes well.

Old May 23rd, 2021, 02:16 PM

Hey guys,
All of you will probably appreciate this, but I thought of Mike knowing he was looking for something reliable to haul/tow things, and he likes Mopars. One of my very best friends (was a groomsman in our wedding) is a Mopar fanatic. He has been restoring a 1977 Dodge Ram Dually for about 2-years now and is getting close to being done with it. Right now he is finishing up the interior. It has a 360 4bbl and automatic, 2-wheel drive. My buddy has said his plan is to show it for a short period of time and then sell it for seed money to use on other car projects. Mike, if this truck is anything you might be interested in, I can ask him if he knows about what he is going to ask for it, and if you're still interested I can put you in touch with him. My buddy is a perfectionist, and you can guarantee it was done right.

Old May 23rd, 2021, 04:34 PM
Always room for one more

That's a nice looking truck Chris. I have no use for a dually. As much as a tow, I've never had the need for a dually, none of my trailers are 5th wheels or goosenecks. But hey, thanks for thinking of me!

Off to bed. I'm actually behind in getting to bed, I was talking to my Mom on the phone. She had more on her list for me to bring when I go to visit her next weekend. She said she was tired as well so I took that opportunity to cut things short.

Okay have a good night everyone. 2am comes early for me.

Old May 23rd, 2021, 10:11 PM
GCH

Hi here in west of Sweden we have a lot of rain lately but my wife and i could take the 98
for a ride with the conv top down one day We have some lawn repairs after the badgers
and also one of our automower lawn cutters had a cable issue but after i checked the cable
with an multimeter i found the damaged cable in the lawn and could replace it.

I think the automovers must be one of our best buys ever . Should jack up the 98 and check the
front wheel bearings for play some day, my 88 feels better in the steering wheel then my 98.

Have most of the firewood done so that,s good for next winter. should see if this old chainsaw has
an spark . this has been stored in a shed for over 40 years

Nice Dodge truck Chris , really miss my Chevy K2500HD who was my DD for 10 years and hope to
buy another truck soon.

Last edited by GCH; May 24th, 2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old May 24th, 2021, 02:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good early morning everyone.

Like clockwork, hehe, the alarm went off at 2 and I got up and got ready for the day. Got to work at 4. The guys are working in the back but there are no wheels broken down and no wheels in the washer. I doubt the washer gets turned on before 7. Glad I came in two hours early to sit and do nothing. Not sure the two hour overtime is worth sitting here doing nothing instead of sleeping till i'm supposed to.

GCH a Homelite is a good saw. It will probably fire right up. Good luck with the bearings in the car.

I don't know why Chris but I can envision that trucking doing wheel stands.

Think I'll go walk through the hangar and see what's getting worked on. Maybe stop in to the breakroom and get some pop. Have a good morning everyone, mine will be okay once we actually start working.

Old May 24th, 2021, 02:53 AM

Mike, you're posting early

I have enough trouble folding in side mirrors on my 4X4 A dually wouldn't have rear fenders for long

Off to smack whitey

Old May 24th, 2021, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Have most of the firewood done so that,s good for next winter. should see if this old chainsaw has an spark . this has been stored in a shed for over 40 years

Nice Dodge truck Chris , really miss my Chevy K2500HD who was my DD for 10 years and hope to buy another truck soon.

Glenn - Good to hear from you. I certainly thought you were going to show us an old Husqvarna chainsaw when you said you had pulled a 40-year old one out of your shed. I was surprised to see it was an American made Homelite!

My +20-year old 2000 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 just keeps running great, even though it sits 95% of the time. It has the larger 5.4L Triton motor in it, plus the towing package with heavy duty radiator, and oil and transmission coolers. I used to do alot of towing with it. It's actually been getting more use lately since my wife's started doing the furniture refinishing work, going to pick up used furniture for her. My daughter is actually coming over this evening to borrow it for a couple days because her car has to go in the shop. I know I'd really miss having a truck around if it were gone. Good luck in your search for a new one!

Old May 24th, 2021, 09:02 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by slantflat
GCH a Homelite is a good saw. It will probably fire right up. Good luck with the bearings in the car.
Thanks Mike , good to check the bearings so i don´t need to supect something with them.

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - Good to hear from you. I certainly thought you were going to show us an old Husqvarna chainsaw when you said you had pulled a 40-year old one out of your shed. I was surprised to see it was an American made Homelite!
Thanks Chris , i have used Jonsereds chainsaws for some years but i bought a Husqvarna 445 xtorq a couple years ago.
Hmm when we bought this house 20 years ago i found another old Homelite in the barn but this was electric. Have a
couple of different chainsaws.

Your truck looks great Chris , my Chevy was an regular cab but next time an extended cab would be nice and 4 doors
should be awesome Many trucks here are very rusted because of all salt on the roads in winter so we se if some
truck shows that suit my wallet I like GM , Ford and Dodge.

First i had a tonneau cover but i don´t like that at all , especially in winter time.

Old May 24th, 2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Your truck looks great Chris , my Chevy was an regular cab but next time an extended cab would be nice and 4 doors should be awesome Many trucks here are very rusted because of all salt on the roads in winter so we se if some truck shows that suit my wallet I like GM , Ford and Dodge.

First i had a tonneau cover but i don´t like that at all , especially in winter time.
Glenn - Thanks for the compliment on my truck. It's starting to rust in the usual places, bottom of rocker panels and behind wheel wells, small spots right now, but growing daily because it sits outside 24/7. I have debated whether to get it fixed and painted before it gets worse, but with it sitting outside all the time I doubt that I'll do it.

I like your old Chevy, nice looking truck. I hope you can find a nice one to replace it!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 24th, 2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old May 24th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Good morning guys,
Gonna be another warm one here today for this early in the summer, full sunshine and a high of 88 projected. Got outside early this morning to finish cleaning up my bike from a 130-mile ride I took yesterday afternoon down to Chester, IL to visit an old buddy. He was looking a little weak, so I gave him a can of spinach (can at his feet). He was feeling much better by the time I left.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old May 24th, 2021, 11:38 AM

16 par 5. Oddly enough If you hit a straight tee shot you're in a bunker
Old May 24th, 2021, 11:54 AM

16 par 5. Oddly enough If you hit a straight tee shot you're in a bunker
Unquestionably penal. I call foul!
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:14 PM
Running On Empty

It was stupid hot today. I secured another 1/3 ton of rock this morning @ 8:00am, filled the two remaining holes then played golf @ 11:00am. Walked front nine (stupid hot), rode the back nine. Relaxing at Olive Garden now. We need rain terribly. I don’t envision doing anything at all the remainder of today. Dermatologist appointment tomorrow morning and the I’ll start setting forms for concrete.

I generally don’t respond to everyone while I’m my phone since it’s a PITA with small screen and tiny key pad.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:23 PM

Chris
It was designed by Tom Fazio who is known for his DEEP bunkers. The course is only about 15 years old and right around the corner from me About 5 years ago they [board] axed Fazio what he would do to "improve the course [Which in my mind is like asking an interior decorator if you need to re paint a room] Anyway they ripped of 50 acres of Bermuda and added Natural areas

Problem is the turkeys nest in them. So if the mow them to make the natural crap thicken . The poor turkeys spend days looking for their destroyed nest

Norm, You're a smart guy why in the wild wild world of sports don't you tee off 1st thing 8:30 and I'm off
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:23 PM

Norm - Pretty brutal here at 1430, 89 degrees with a heat index of 99.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:31 PM

Chris
It was designed by Tom Fazio who is known for his DEEP bunkers. The course is only about 15 years old and right around the corner from me About 5 years ago they [board] axed Fazio what he would do to "improve the course [Which in my mind is like asking an interior decorator if you need to re paint a room] Anyway they ripped of 50 acres of Bermuda and added Natural areas

Problem is the turkeys nest in them. So if the mow them to make the natural crap thicken . The poor turkeys spend days looking for their destroyed nest

Norm, You're a smart guy why in the wild wild world of sports don't you tee off 1st thing 8:30 and I'm off
Pretty hard on the Turkeys and the golfers. I remember the 1st time I was playing a particular course in Green Valley, AZ where my relatives live, and my uncle warned me to not venture off of the fairway to search for an errant ball. High concentration of rattlesnakes, now that's really out-of-bounds!
Old May 24th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Running On Empty

Our club does not open on Monday's until 11:00am. Monday is the day the maintenance team provides additional grooming details to the course.
Old May 24th, 2021, 01:23 PM

Norm, Gottcha One of our courses is closed on Monday the other one closed on Tuesday
Old May 24th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot here as well. Over 90 and sunny. This is my perfect day.

I was so tired when I got home this afternoon I could hardly stand up. I went in at 4 this morning, and surprise of all surprises, the washer was not on. In fact, it wasn't on until after 7, so I sat and did nothing for three hours. Not good. Then the bad lead said, since we're on overtime we're going to do 20 extra wheels. But of course we didn't start until after regular time, so the machine got turned up so we'd finish. I still can't sign off wheels so I was on the heavy side. Came home and slept all afternoon. I could still go to bed now and sleep all night.

My lead is off all week so we can expect douchebaggery from the bad lead all week.

Chris if you're planning to keep that truck there's no reason not to fix the rust. In the not too distant future the small spots will become so big you can put your fist through them, and you'll say gee why didn't I get that fixed when it was small.

Glenn I don't have a cap or a cover on my truck, but I don't really need it. When I lived in Illinois I had a cap for my S10 I would put on in winter and take off in summer. Really nice to have a dry place to put stuff when it's snowy.

Okay I think it won't be long before I hit the sack. Not going in early tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old May 25th, 2021, 04:30 AM

Good morning guys,
Suppossed to be another warm one again today, around 86. There's a front coming through with rain tomorrow and Thursday, then cooler behind it with highs around 70 Fri. - Sun. which should be nice.

No big plans for today. May try to get out and ride a little this afternoon. There is another car show this coming Saturday at a Sportsman's Club in the little town of Mascoutah, Illinois about 60-miles from me. It's a little farther than I normally like to go for an event, but it's really the only car event going on this weekend and it would be a shame not to get the car out when it's supposed to be so nice. I'm on the fence on that one right now.

Thought I'd start your day with a little beauty this morning, we can all use that every once in awhile! Have a great day guys!

This morning's sunrise from my deck

Lily my daughters got for my wife on Mother's Day

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 25th, 2021 at 04:52 AM.
Old May 25th, 2021, 08:01 AM

My back screen porch has 2 sets of double screen doors. that need to be replaced. I got the doors [in singles] but can't find T-strips
May have to take the old ones off and reuse them on the new doors

The joys of homeownership never end
Old May 25th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy did I sleep good last night. Went to bed early, Tiger wanted to go out around midnight so I had another good run of sleeping up to 4. No overtime this morning, in fact I don't think I'll do any overtime when I'm in inspection.

My back screen is okay but the sliding glass door is messed up. I think the rollers on the bottom have become square. Not to mention the handle fell off and I open and close the door by putting my finger through the mounting hole. My plan was to take the glass door out and put in a regular door and then a window next to it, but if I'm moving, why bother.

Got a couple errands to run this afternoon, since I have the time, then I might do some mowing. It never ends. Gotta start getting ready for my trip this weekend. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old May 25th, 2021, 08:55 AM

The joys of homeownership never end
Yesireebob!
Old May 25th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Running On Empty

James - You posted sump’n then it disappeared Something about down here in de South and sump’n bout de North. You trying to fry my brain worse than it is already?

I was going to rip down some treated 2”x12” boards into 2”x6” for the pad concrete forms but those boards are supporting all the mortar bags. So, I grabbed some basic white pine 2”x6” boards this morning from Lowe’s and 1/3 ton smaller aggregate rock and 1/3 ton sand for top dressing the pads & compression. Hotter than nine sailors in a ***** house here.
Old May 25th, 2021, 10:26 AM

Norm, I don't remember doing that. Of course I can't remember what I had fer breakfast either
Old May 25th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

James - I haven’t had a good breakfast for some time - most important meal of the day they say. I’ve been so occupied with swinging an axe I want to get this first stage done ASAP so I can get into the brick laying mindset which then I can progress at a more leisurely pace. 🪓 🪓
Old May 25th, 2021, 03:49 PM

Good evening guys,
The wife and I buy a packaged stove top cheesy rice that we regularly eat as a side dish because we like it so much. The rice is made by a company named Knorr, and the rice is called Cheddar Broccoli Rice Side. On the back of the package is an incredible recipe for wet burritos using the rice as part of the filling. The burrito filling has ground or shredded beef, black beans, the cheesy rice, salsa, and Mexican blend cheese. The burritos are then covered in more salsa and cheese and thoroughly heated. These were by far the best burritos I've eaten in a long time, unbelievably good! The pan in the picture is 13" x 9", so you can see the burritos are huge, I ate 3! If anyone wants the recipe I can take a picture of the back of the rice packet and upload it, just let me know.

Cheesy Beef Wet Burritos

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old May 25th, 2021, 04:48 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Those look delicious - enjoy. I ate tacos for lunch today - Taco Tuesday. I generally have 3-4 bags of Knorr rice in the cupboard at any time. I use Knorr rice when cooking mostly Mexican &/or Cajun cuisine.

These are tall brick columns (pillars) I'm erecting and substantial in weight. Without going into trivial detail, ground water pressure an cause an entire house to float above ground in certain soil profiles. These soil profiles are generally accompanied along coastal environments - albeit, you won't see homes with basements built along coastal (ocean) environments (they can pop out of the soil). Homes along coastal environments are built on slabs (nearly always with few exceptions). At any rate, since these columns are tall and will weigh a considerable amount, it's important to provide a good slab. Also, you've most likely seen (in particular a golf course cart path) roads, sidewalks, etc torn apart from root intrusion. So, it's important to remove roots as best as possible - roots can push concrete nearly as much as underground water pressure. The soil profile on my property is ~1' top soil (humus/detritus matter), then ~1' loam. Just below the loam is ~2'-8' of clay and just below the clay is sand. So, sand begins @ ~10' below the surface. Both the loam and the sand are saturated groundwater levels. My property is ~18'-20' above sea level. Therefore, both sea water and ground water rapidly saturate the soil and the soils around here remain quite water saturated from both the sea and ground water.

The holes I dug are 2' deep - down to the top of the soil/loam interface. I filled the holes 1' deep w/ #57 crushed coarse aggregate, then ~8" deep w/ #78 crushed (finer) aggregate & finally a layer of ~8" of sand on top of the #78 aggregate. The holes were then filled w/ water to the top of the sand. This allows the sand particles to percolate/infiltrate into the #78 aggregate and both the sand & the #78 aggregate to infiltrate into the coarser #57 bottom layer. This should facilitate a very secure and long-lasting rigid platform for the concrete pads and prevent the columns (pillars) from shifting under nominal ground water pressure. Next, I'll cut rebar for the concrete pads and begin forming the concrete pads - that is, of course after golf. Tomorrow's tee-time @ 8:30am and the nine-hole shootout @ 5:00pm.

#57 (Coarse) Aggregate

#78 (Finer) Aggregate

Sand (Prior to Water)

Various stages

Old May 25th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Norm - Your base prep for the column pads looks extremely structurally sound! I don't think you'll have any issues with your columns shifting with that much support under them. Great job! Thanks for the compliment on the dinner, I'll let the wife know, it really was very good!
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:03 AM

Nice work Norm Do you brick up one column and then the next or do you lady courses on all three and them go up

Chris those look delicious
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Chris those look delicious
Thanks James, they were! I love it when the wife tries a new recipe, very rarely does she have a flop, this one was a homerun.