The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Perfect day out. In a minute I'm going out to do some mowing. How nice to not have to go over to the shop for a change.

Work seemed slow but we finished by 2 and got out. For reasons I do not know, we are starting at 4 tomorrow. I don't know if it's overtime, or if we're ending at noon. Eh, I'm easy, I just have to go to bed at 6 tonight. Yowsa.

Greg the yard ****'s came and said I had to move all the cars that weren't registered. He said the call was anonymous, which is a lie, he just didn't want to tell me. They are worried about retribution. Damn straight. So I moved several to my house and threw covers over them, registered a couple of them, rearranged a few of them, and put a couple up on trailers. Actually I'd like to know who called so I can send them my property tax bill.

Norm my car actually is a Daffodil, but the name of the company is van Doorne's Autombiel Fabriek. Volvo bought their car business in the early 70s and DAF is now trucks.

Chris I'll give you a little tease. I have 5 Valiants. Actually 6. The five are all 68 4 doors and the odd one is a 60 four door. I have a soft spot for the 68s. My Grandmother bought mine new in January 68 and I grew up riding around, going shopping, lunch, errands, whatever. When Grandma got too old to drive she gave me her car. That was 1987. Geez.

Jamesbo I'd love to have a Tiger. I haven't priced them but I bet they are at least as much as a Sherman, if they are even attainable. As for international military vehicles, I'd be happy with a Schwimmwagen.

I've always heard that roundabouts were popular with towns because they were cheaper than an intersection with a traffic light. I don't see that, but who am I. I don't like them. Get one guy who doesn't know what to do and it screws up the whole place. Like me, when I take the big truck to get worked on, I encounter a couple roundabouts, but instead of going around I just go straight up over the curb and straight through.

I did the exact same thing the first time I was in Australia. Looked the wrong way and stepped out right in front of traffic. Ya I can see me driving over there...

Okay gonna mow. Should be fun.

Old May 19th, 2021, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I'll give you a little tease. I have 5 Valiants. Actually 6. The five are all 68 4 doors and the odd one is a 60 four door. I have a soft spot for the 68s. My Grandmother bought mine new in January 68 and I grew up riding around, going shopping, lunch, errands, whatever. When Grandma got too old to drive she gave me her car. That was 1987. Geez.
Mike - Wow, 6 Valiants! Pretty cool you're into Valiants and Corvairs, and my family had one of each when I was growing up. I posted a pic of the Valiant before, I'll have to see if I can find a pic of the Corvair. About all I can remember about it is that it was a blue, 4-door, automatic, that had a unique shift lever on the dash. My Dad picked it up used to have something that would get around well during those Michigan snows. I remember liking to ride in it as a kid because you kind of sat down low in it like a race car.
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

My Mom had a Corvair. When my younger brother began to drive he drove Mom's car until one day he sheepishly said to me "I'm not sure but I think somethings wrong w/ Mom's car, there's smoke coming out the heater and the defrost". I asked him "where's the car"? He said he pulled it in the garage when it began smoking. Short story - if I recall correctly, they ran it out of oil. What I do recall correctly was the engine was toast - cracked block. Mom got rid of the Corvair.

Old May 19th, 2021, 06:15 PM

In his book Lee Iacocca said, [ When with Chrysler] The problem with the valiant, It doesn't wear out so we can't replace them
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:26 PM
Running On Empty

The "Framing Of John DeLorean" is on Netflix if interested. I watched it last week.
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - Two construction sites on I-69 - plan accordingly.

Old May 19th, 2021, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I hope your family members & friends are managing the recent flooding.
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'm constantly amazed when I fiddle

phart around on line for 30 minutes

James - I've seen these first-hand over the years as I'm an avid camper. They're sweet. Most have the same basic chassis & shell, but the interior and rearward areas are customized to the buyer's choosing.
Old May 19th, 2021, 09:59 PM

That Mercedes set up is sweet. Roundabouts are becoming popular around here as well, we had one installed downtown about 6-7 years ago, and another at Pere Marquette beach last year. There are a couple more in the area as well. Chris, was that a Bricklin with the gull wing doors that you were trying to indentify? The weather here in Michigan will be in the mid 80's and humid for the next couple of days, 'bout the same as Indy.
Old May 19th, 2021, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Kenneth - I hope your family members & friends are managing the recent flooding.
Surviving is more apt.

Here are some pictures my sisters sent me from around town.

Last edited by Fun71; May 19th, 2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old May 19th, 2021, 11:19 PM

Folks still have a sense of humor, though.

Old May 20th, 2021, 02:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Surviving is more apt. Here are some pictures my sisters sent me from around town.
Yikes, thanks for sharing. The coast of Louisiana has seen serious hardships from the weather the past five years (in particular this last year).
Just another day in Lake Charles for these folks. Check out these folks @ 3:46. I'm sure they're thankful they found a restaurant which is open since it's doubtful many are cooking. I wonder how long it will take for the situation to return to a semi-normal state (power restored especially). Crazy.

Old May 20th, 2021, 03:48 AM

Well its time to leave and looks like I am going, Norm, I am taking the slow road. Down on M66 to I think Indiana 9 and/or 34. Old truck loves 50-55, 60 no problem but feels like pushing it, 75-80- no way!. I would be run over or be a hazard on big highways. Map quest says about 7 1/2 hours, I am figuring 9. Now it's 0630,I plan to leave at about 8 , hopefully be there by 6PM. Actually the trip is the reason for going, the destination is a bonus. Since I was a kid I've always wanted to rake a nice slow trip along small 2 lane roads, thru small towns, etc. I'll try to get some pics on the trip and post 'em...
Old May 20th, 2021, 04:25 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Have a pleasant trip. I’ve been down M66 several times. Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2021, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well its time to leave and looks like I am going, Norm, I am taking the slow road. Down on M66 to I think Indiana 9 and/or 34. Old truck loves 50-55, 60 no problem but feels like pushing it, 75-80- no way!. I would be run over or be a hazard on big highways. Map quest says about 7 1/2 hours, I am figuring 9. Now it's 0630,I plan to leave at about 8 , hopefully be there by 6PM. Actually the trip is the reason for going, the destination is a bonus. Since I was a kid I've always wanted to rake a nice slow trip along small 2 lane roads, thru small towns, etc. I'll try to get some pics on the trip and post 'em...
Greg - Since you're traveling down M66, you will go right by the entrance of my parents subdivision where I grew up, and where my sister lives now. I lived on Pennbrook Trail directly off of M66, on the left just before the Pennfield Township Office and Firestation, and about 4 or 5-miles north of the Battle Creek city limit. Right after that you will see the M66 Bowling Alley on your left. Safe travels on your adventure!
Old May 20th, 2021, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, was that a Bricklin with the gull wing doors that you were trying to indentify?
Dan - I'm almost positive it was a Porsche 906 replica car, which has a pretty different shape than the Bricklins.

Old May 20th, 2021, 05:45 AM
Running On Empty

Started digging holes for the concrete column pads. Started again this morning just before sunrise. Tons of large and small roots requiring lots of ax swinging - I knew this before I began. Hopefully I can set forms this weekend. Now is the time to bring me any body parts you’d like to dispose of. I don’t ask questions.
Old May 20th, 2021, 06:02 AM

Started digging holes for the concrete column pads. Started again this morning just before sunrise. Tons of large and small roots requiring lots of ax swinging - I knew this before I began. Hopefully I can set forms this weekend. Now is the time to bring me any body parts you’d like to dispose of. I don’t ask questions.
Good luck Norm, it's a big project for sure!
Old May 20th, 2021, 06:55 AM

The coast of Louisiana has seen serious hardships from the weather the past five years (in particular this last year).
Just another day in Lake Charles for these folks.
Yeah, it seems like it’s becoming the new normal.

Old May 20th, 2021, 06:58 AM

Speaking of footings

I have a lunatic neighbor who will tell you in the 1st 30 seconds you meet her " I'm a doctor"

Fortunately she hasn't spoken to me since she ran for mayor and I wouldn't let her put a sign in my yard

She said, " You let Bill"put a sign in your yard:"

And I said "That's because he was with the Marines at Khe Sanh"

And she said, " NO HE WASN"T He was in the Navy

Not to argue but he was and was with the CB's

Anyway, I got side tracked

She decided she was going to build a kit barn and hired sum yahoo with a track hoe to dig the footings for the post. If she had thrown a handful of marbles out the footing would have been in a straighter line
So, She buys a few truck loads of rebar and starts tying the rebar. I didn't have the heart to tell her [ nor would she have listened] You don't need a 6 foot hole 4 feet across and 3 yards of concrete for each post hole

But "She's a doctor"
Old May 20th, 2021, 08:10 AM

Speaking of footings

I have a lunatic neighbor who will tell you in the 1st 30 seconds you meet her " I'm a doctor"

Fortunately she hasn't spoken to me since she ran for mayor and I wouldn't let her put a sign in my yard

She said, " You let Bill"put a sign in your yard:"

And I said "That's because he was with the Marines at Khe Sanh"

And she said, " NO HE WASN"T He was in the Navy

Not to argue but he was and was with the CB's

Anyway, I got side tracked

She decided she was going to build a kit barn and hired sum yahoo with a track hoe to dig the footings for the post. If she had thrown a handful of marbles out the footing would have been in a straighter line
So, She buys a few truck loads of rebar and starts tying the rebar. I didn't have the heart to tell her [ nor would she have listened] You don't need a 6 foot hole 4 feet across and 3 yards of concrete for each post hole

But "She's a doctor"
Most certainly, a proctologist!
Old May 20th, 2021, 08:11 AM
Running On Empty

James - Blonde, as well?
Old May 20th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Running On Empty

Proctologist? You have her number (asking for a friend)?
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:02 AM

Hey guys,

Sunny, warm, and muggy here today, 81 at 11:30. Went out early and did some minor touch-up cleaning on the 4-4-2 for the show on Saturday. Weather forecast looks good for the show, but it will be warm sitting out there with a high around 87 forecast. I'm going to get there extra early in hope of getting a parking spot with some nearby shade to sit in when I'm not up checking out the other cars.

One of my least favorite events, our annual Subdivision Association Mtg., is tonight at 6:00. There's always a whole bunch of whining suburbanites that think they're better than most, that want to spend funds we don't have on amenities to keep up with the Jone's, in this case the Jone's being the neighboring subdivision up the street. This year, they want to spend $25K to build a new masonry, lighted, monument at the entrance to the subdivision to replace the aging one we have. The old one does need sprucing up, but we don't need $25K worth of renovation! Also on the agenda, discussion about increasing subdivision fees, that will be a good one! If I'm not on here later tonight it will be because I told someone to go %#&@ themself, and a brawl broke out and I'm in the pokey! I'd better take an extra blood pressure pill and a Valium before I go!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old May 20th, 2021, 10:07 AM

I'm almost positive it was a Porsche 906 replica car, which has a pretty different shape than the Bricklins.
Chris, Ihave to agree. Well, the company sent one of our molding machines down to Mexico, along with a couple of dies, never to be seen again. We were supposed to get a larger capacity machine to inject patterns for the JSF program, but now that won't happen, nor will the refurbishment of two other pieces of equiprment which are also used for the JSF program. These are 30+ year old machines, that are just wearing out. When they go down, they will have no one to blame but themselves. Of course, we will have fingers pointed at us.
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:23 AM

Chris, Ihave to agree. Well, the company sent one of our molding machines down to Mexico, along with a couple of dies, never to be seen again. We were supposed to get a larger capacity machine to inject patterns for the JSF program, but now that won't happen, nor will the refurbishment of two other pieces of equiprment which are also used for the JSF program. These are 30+ year old machines, that are just wearing out. When they go down, they will have no one to blame but themselves. Of course, we will have fingers pointed at us.
Ya just got to wonder WTF management is thinking??? What if both machines go down and they are not able to deliver the parts they are under contract to produce? Do they just plan on defaulting on their orders? I hate it when employers don't invest in critical machinery or infrastructure, oh, I forgot, they're copying the business model of the good ole U.S.A!
Old May 20th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Well it finally happened I knew it was on borrowed time and I certainly not going to complain. My heat pump finally gave up the ghost !!
29 years old !! original when house was built. I'm bracing for the worst it's a R-22 unit and I believe r-22 was phased out in 2020 and I
am pretty sure the compressor failed as there is a pool of refrigerant oil under the compressor, R-22 units now a thing of the past'
It was a Trane unit, from what I understand the life expectancy of a heat pump averages about 15 years some failing at about 10 years
Im looking at a Lennox unit as they are highly rated and for what ever reason there are not a lot of contractors now using Trane,
like I said I will not complain I got double the life out of it, Its mounted on the roof so its not a job I can tackle. I am a little nervous, my butt cheeks are starting clinch as I start to investigate replacement $$
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:28 PM

James - Blonde, as well?
Yep
Old May 20th, 2021, 03:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work was a peach. I could hardly keep my eyes open. When I wasn't working I was catnapping. Decided to forego lunch and had a nice nap. I gotta tell you I don't like that kind of a struggle. We're going to do it again tomorrow, so I hope I get to sleep a little earlier tonight.

One thing working at my desk, I have to hear this one fellow that is a little much. He must have little microphones all over the shop, because he has to get into everyone's conversation. And not just listen, he has to participate, even if it's just a word or two. And in a group, he'll say the same thing to each person one at a time. Because apparently you can't say anything once and everyone hear it. Very odd.

Greg must be in Indy by now. Hope he had a good trip and didn't have any trouble out of the truck. Boy does that sound like a lot of fun. I tried taking Route 66 from one end to the other, but when I hit trouble I hit the interstate, I didn't have the luxury of time to figure things out. I've always wanted to take the Lincoln Highway coast to coast. It has several iterations, though, and I'd have to study which alignment I'd want to take where.

Chris go ahead and take in the meeting sans any inhibitors. It will make things more interesting. I used to run HOA meetings, and we were lucky to have anyone show up. Easy to get things done that way.

That flooding looks horrible. Kenneth best of luck to the family.

Jamesbo if you'd take the galley out of that teardrop, that Mercedes rig would make a neat looking hearse for the cemetery.

Okay time to hit the sack. Hope everyone starts out well with their weekend.

Old May 20th, 2021, 05:13 PM
Running On Empty

Finished up one entire hole for one concrete column pad & about 1/2 way through another. I removed the grass (top layers) by cutting sod strips for redistribution. Began @ 6:00am, nap 3:00pm - 6:00pm, finished the hole by 7:30pm then watched the sun go down. Tomorrow, I play in a Kayak For The Warriors golf tournament - an annual fundraising event for Hope For The Warriors® to benefit combat injured and fallen service men, women and their families. Shot-gun tee-time @ 8:30am (different golf course - very narrow). Doubtful I'll be swinging an ax tomorrow.
Old May 20th, 2021, 07:18 PM

Well, I didn't see Mike's post before I left for the Subdivision Assoc. Mtg., but I did as he suggested and went without any libations or pharmaceuticals. Big mistake! It wasn't interesting, just painful and frustrating. Definitely 2 and 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back. No resolution on the Subdivision monument issue and no resolution on raising the Subdivision fee assessment. Now we have to have a damn follow-on meeting in August sometime. I wouldn't even bother going, but you can't vote via mail in, and I definitely want my vote to count. You only get one vote per household, maybe I can talk my wife into going without me, now that's an idea!

I haven't been riding enough! My wife's cleaning house for our neighbor tomorrow and we usually get takeout on days that she cleans. I'm gonna head out for Mammoth Spring, Arkansas to Shorty's Rib Shack and bring home 2 sides of ribs. It's 400-miles round-trip, but it's scenic and supposed to be a beautiful day. I know I don't have my riding butt in shape yet, and I know I'll probably be squirming the last 100-miles, but dammit I'm going anyway!

Hope everyone had a great day today, and an even better tomorrow!
Old May 20th, 2021, 07:22 PM

Norm - Good luck in the tourney tomorrow, hit em long, and putt em straight, unless of course there's a large break, then putt em curved!
Old May 20th, 2021, 09:33 PM

Chris, management will just ride the supervisors who will get short tempered and pass it on to us as they try and juggle machines and prioities. They do not treat supervisors well at all, and have a high turnover that I have never seen anyplace else before. They are always looking over their shoulder wondering if they will be next. Many move on to better companies. It wasn't always this way, seemed to take a turn about 6-7 years ago. Have a good ride on your bike, and enjoy the ribs.
Old May 21st, 2021, 05:00 AM

Chris, management will just ride the supervisors who will get short tempered and pass it on to us as they try and juggle machines and prioities. They do not treat supervisors well at all, and have a high turnover that I have never seen anyplace else before. They are always looking over their shoulder wondering if they will be next. Many move on to better companies. It wasn't always this way, seemed to take a turn about 6-7 years ago. Have a good ride on your bike, and enjoy the ribs.
Dan - I'm sorry to hear you have what sounds like a fairly toxic work environment in your company. I hope it stays afloat for as long as you need, or want, to be there. The most important business principle I learned during my career is, that regardless of being a working level employee, or being in supervision/management, the factor that influences job satisfaction the most is how well an employee is treated by their immediate supervisor. This fact has been born out by many surveys and studies, and found to be directly linked to significant increases in job satisfaction and productivity. Your management/ownership must have missed that Memo, unfortunate!
Old May 21st, 2021, 05:17 AM

Norm How many holes ya gotta dig?
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:30 AM
Running On Empty

Norm How many holes ya gotta dig?
Three for concrete pads.
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:30 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. We started early, had a reduced number, and got out early. But I'm just getting home because I went to the Awful house and stayed 2 1/2 hours talking. It's beautiful out so I'll find something fun to do outside.

I've been lucky working for my big company. Doesn't matter how $hitty the manager/supervisor is, it isn't personal. Usually. Things get too bad and it's easy to transfer to another department. Now and then when a department sees a mass exodus and most of the talent leaves, someone will have an epiphany and look into why everyone wants to leave. It usually results in the manager being reassigned.

Get to stay up late tonight and sleep in tomorrow. I may try to get up early and see my friends at the Awful house. We'll see. Gotta find something to do now, so see you's all later.

Old May 21st, 2021, 11:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Doesn't matter how $hitty the manager/supervisor is, it isn't personal. Usually. Things get too bad and it's easy to transfer to another department. Now and then when a department sees a mass exodus and most of the talent leaves, someone will have an epiphany and look into why everyone wants to leave. It usually results in the manager being reassigned.
I believe 90% of all workers from all industries quit, take a reassignment, etc. for one reason - disapproval of management.
Old May 21st, 2021, 05:58 PM

Hey guys,
I had a nice ride down to Mammoth Spring, Arkansas today, the weather was great. Even though it got up to around 85, the temp was perfect with a t-shirt and leather vest. The ribs I picked up for dinner at Shorty's Rib Shack were excellent as usual. They're dry rub style and the meat just falls off the bone. I can admit I'm worn out though, about 7-hours of actual riding time. My rear end did OK, but I started getting a cramp in my throttle hand the last couple of hours, which was a real pain, no pun intended! I rode my Yamaha which doesn't have cruise control, and boy did I wish it did. That's the 1st time I've ever had that issue, at least to that degree.

Car show tomorrow morning/afternoon, I'm excited about that, and the weather's suppossed to be nice again, although a little warmer at around 87. Like I said yesterday, gonna try to get there early to get a good spot where I can sit in the shade. I hope there's a good turnout and I can get some good pics for you guys. Have a great Saturday!
Old May 22nd, 2021, 04:12 AM

Funeral, then headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends