The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2021, 04:18 AM

Chris, Don't listen to Norm

Mothers are like bear mom's. If you get between them and one of their cub, you're in BIG trouble. No matter what stupid thing[s] their child does, They will forgive them and love them until their dying days

I would keep my mouth shut and clean up her work area while she's gone
Old December 16th, 2021, 04:54 AM

Every Morning I open the cemetery gate around 7:30. this is the traffic in front of my house. When I 1st moved here in 1976 I used to put black walnuts in the road and 'wait' for a car to come by. I used to move cows back and forth across this road to the pasture across the way
Old December 16th, 2021, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Mothers are like bear mom's. If you get between them and one of their cub, you're in BIG trouble. No matter what stupid thing their child does, They will forgive them and love them until their dying days

I would keep my mouth shut and clean up her work area while she's gone

James - 100%, with the exception of attempting to clean in her work area. That woman has a memory like a super computer, and though her work area often looks like complete chaos, she knows where every frickin tool and piece of hardware is. My messing around in there would certainly not be viewed as a help. As long as her fur babies are in good shape when she gets home, I will be a major hero!

Wow, from previous pics of your home and surrouding grounds, I would have guessed it was well off the beaten path,, and never guessed there was ever any traffic like that nearby. However, I understand "Urban Sprawl" gets us all. We've had quite a few folks come to pic up furniture and mention they had no idea there were any houses back where we live. One guy told me he used to coon hunt back in here 30-years ago. I asked him if he'd like to come hunt some coons and deer right now because they're so thick they're a major nuisance!
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:06 AM
Running On Empty

Ralph - Don't listen to James.
He lives in a jungle.

I bought ten PowerBall lottery tickets ($20). I did not have even one single number on any ticket. Oh well, better luck to me two years from now when I might buy another lottery ticket.
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:11 AM

Chris, I would say 90% of those cars are not local traffic They are coming from the county NW of me heading toward Ga 400 [the Alpharetta Autobahn ] A NS 6 ;land road into Atlanta
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:16 AM
Running On Empty

The real reason so many cars pass James' house. With a collection like this on display who wouldn't want to pass by.

Old December 16th, 2021, 07:22 AM
Running On Empty

So, I received a call from the property management rental agency where I booked my reservation for the USGA 2022 Women's Open Championship - some deal about the new owners of the condominium, they are undecided about listing their new condominium for rental, etc., etc. blah, blah, blah - and, yet it is listed and I have a confirmation. Oh well, I'm in no mood to play hardball with the guy (agency), etc. etc. - they have several other listings in the huge golf center of North Carolina, so he's going to call me back with another rental listing for the same price in the same time-frame. Negotiations, negotiations...hey, at least it isn't a washing machine breaking down on me.
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Norm, My uncle who passed away 3 years ago at 94 lived in Southern Pines It's sho nuff golf country
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:42 AM

Ralph - Don't listen to James
I'm so confused!!!!
I need my wife home to straighten me out and get my mind right!
Ya, right!!!
Old December 16th, 2021, 08:27 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, My uncle who passed away 3 years ago at 94 lived in Southern Pines It's sho nuff golf country
A number of years ago I had a TS SCI customer engagement for two years (2012-2013). I drove to work weekly (3.5 hr drive). I resided in a Marriott long-term lease rental property in Southern Pines (which made it a daily 15' drive from Marriott to customer). I became friends with a couple who were building a new home on Pinehurst #2 & residing in the same Marriott complex. Who was this couple? The man had recently lost his best friend. This man was the equipment manager for Seve Ballesteros. He, his wife & I would meet almost daily when I returned to the Marriott from my customer. My previous manager also owned a home on Pinehurst #2 - above my pay grade.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 16th, 2021 at 10:18 AM. Reason: sp
Old December 16th, 2021, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
This man was the equipment manager for Seve Ballesteros. He, his wife & I would meet almost daily when I returned to the Marriott from my customer.
Norm -.Good story! I'm sure you heard lots of great golf stories from that couple. Around 2001 - 2002 I was flying from St. Louis to San Diego to visit engineers from BAE and JPL who my Agency was collaborating with for that Space Shuttle radar data project. With my government fare, I got lucky and got bumped to 1st class. A gentleman sat down next to me and I thought I recognized him and had to ask him his name. It was really Fred Couples! I talked to him much of the way out there. He actually knew my 1st cousin Jon Jaress, who was the head pro at the Tubac Golf Resort in Arizona when many of the scenes from Tin Cup were being shot there. Mr..Couples seemed like a really nice guy.

I'll never forget that trip, because in addition to meeting Mr. Couples, I ran into "Big Red", Bill Walton, down on the boardwalk on the beach in San Diego. There was no mistaking him, that's for sure. Talked with him just briefly to tell him I was a big fan of his and the Celtics, and got to shake his hand, and then went our ways. That was a great trip!
Old December 16th, 2021, 10:17 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I never fully understood Fred Couples outside the golf arena. I have enjoyed following Fred throughout his golf career - he's a great golfer. He appears to demonstrate a modest compassionate demeanor during interviews and conversations with other golfers and the press. He sure went through some serious struggles with his two wives - the first committing suicide (jumping from the ninth floor of a church chapel) & the second dying from cancer (which would have been the time period you sat next to him). Nice you were able to have a conversation with Fred.

Big Red the Dead Head - Now there's a very colorful person. I always enjoyed watching Bill play and following some of his colorful off-court activities.
Old December 16th, 2021, 10:22 AM

"Sho' Nuff???" "Am I the meanest?" "Am I the prettiest?"
Old December 16th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
"Sho' Nuff???" "Am I the meanest?" "Am I the prettiest?"
I never saw The Last Dragon but I'll wager James' reference is nothing similar to "sho nuff" in The Last Dragon; although, it's been rumored James cuts some serious dance moves watching "Sexy and I Know It"

Old December 16th, 2021, 10:45 AM

When Fred Couples played the Amex out my club, he gave his shoes [with his name label inside] to the shoe shine man. He sold them for some nice cash. I thought it was a nice thing for a PGA pro to " Tip" him
Old December 16th, 2021, 10:50 AM
Running On Empty

When Fred Couples played the Amex out my club, he gave his shoes [with his name label inside] to the shoe shine man. He sold them for some nice cash. I thought it was a nice thing for a PGA pro to " Tip" him
That's cool sho nuff...
Old December 16th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Chris - I never fully understood Fred Couples outside the golf arena. I have enjoyed following Fred throughout his golf career - he's a great golfer. He appears to demonstrate a modest compassionate demeanor during interviews and conversations with other golfers and the press. He sure went through some serious struggles with his two wives - the first committing suicide (jumping from the ninth floor of a church chapel) & the second dying from cancer (which would have been the time period you sat next to him). Nice you were able to have a conversation with Fred.

Big Red the Dead Head - Now there's a very colorful person. I always enjoyed watching Bill play and following some of his colorful off-court activities.
Norm- I remember hearing about Couple's 1st wife committing suicide, didn't know much else about his personal life. Like I said, he seemed nice and talked with me just like an average Joe.

Bill Walton definitely is a character. I knew he was a Dead Head, vegetarian, and heavily into the holistic lifestyle. I think it's something in the SoCal water that's yet to be discovered!
Old December 16th, 2021, 11:58 AM

That's cool sho nuff...
I trust you are aware that there are strict rules concerning making fun of the way Mods speak the Kings English

Old December 16th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Always room for one more

I am not a deadhead. But I used to drive a car like theirs' .

Hi everyone.

Work was the same. Same sorry robot guy dragging us all down. The lead dressed us down this morning, and everyone was so surprised that several people pitched in to help finish up this afternoon.

It's nice out but overcast. Think I'll take some stuff over to the house. I need to fix a ceiling light fixture that wasn't tall enough for a couch on its end.

Jamesbo did that guy give him the same shoes he just had shined? Did he walk away in his sock feet?

Did both of the wives jump from the same balcony?

Wow, I'm overloaded. Never heard of any of those people, or the dragon bit.

Okay I'm going. See ya's.

Old December 16th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Mike, I wasn't allowed in the club house during the tournament. I assume he walk out in his street shoes after giving his golf shoes away
Old December 16th, 2021, 02:47 PM

Hi guys,

I don't know how many of you are fans of these two artists, but I just heard today that James Taylor and Carole King will be giving a concert on TV January 2nd. I will be marking my calendar, because I think both are two of the greatest singer/songwriters of my generation.

Here are some particulars if you're interested:
"Variety announced in October 2021 that a documentary about the creative pairing of Carole King and James Taylor has been commissioned by CNN and HBO Max, with Frank Marshall set as director and producer, the two companies announced Friday. Under the terms of the deal, "Carole King & James Taylor: Just Call Out My Name" will premiere on CNN on January 2 at 9pm ET/PT, while domestic streaming and international distribution rights will go to HBO Max. Join Carole and James for an unforgettable night of music."
Old December 16th, 2021, 06:30 PM

Froze my **** off taking some pics this afternoon, windy and cold. https://photos.app.goo.gl/GytQ2ksmYaGhoYQU7
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:14 PM

Norm, I am assuming you intended that video because it itself references The Last Dragon, right? "Like Bruce Leeroy, I got the Glow"?

Here's the scene to which I was referring to move us on from men gyrating in speedo's.
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:19 PM

Very nice. Good food for cold season.

So my conveyor is coming in on trucks, and I called a parking lot for a laydown area months ago, and some cars, which turned out, were sitting there for a year or so, grimy, couple flat tires, probably dead battery. Trial cars from previous model changes. My emails went from nice, to insistent, to firm, to one last chance and this engineer was arming himself with a tow truck and moving them. I think my boss believed me when I flashed a towing company's card, and the rest believed me when we moved 'em this AM. I got a good deal, 4 cars put a couple hundred yards away for a hundred or so, and I have plenty left in my budget. I stuck them under a utility trestle, it's no parking, but we'll let facilities find their owners, and I'm not putting them back when done, either.
Update: So, two days later, the manure has hit the ventilator and Security DOES NOT like those cars there because it's under a utility trestle. Security responded to my mass email of earlier, where no one moved the cars (before I towed them) and said they had to move. I responded that we'd help them move again, but it sure would be easier if whatever department owns them would just drive them to their area. This highlighted some sloppy procedures and embarrassed some people, so 2 of the 4 cars have been driven away, so I think I am winning, and I got a little more notorious in the process.
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, I am assuming you intended that video because it itself references The Last Dragon, right?.
Sho nuff…
Old December 16th, 2021, 07:56 PM

This highlighted some sloppy procedures and embarrassed some people, so 2 of the 4 cars have been driven away, so I think I am winning, and I got a little more notorious in the process.
John - Way to go dude! Reminds me of one of my favorite work mantras, "I'd always rather ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Old December 17th, 2021, 02:50 AM

Norm, did you say you are close to Pinehurst? My younger son (Adam) graduated from MSU with a degree in Turf Management and had to do a couple weeks there as a apprentice as part of the course. At the end of it my wife and I, Adam's wife and her parents got to stay there a couple days. That was probably 25 years ago. Very nice....beautiful area.
Old December 17th, 2021, 03:50 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I live ~3.5 hours from Pinehurst. I had a TS SCI customer engagement in the area for ~2 years. I stayed at a long term Marriott property in Southern Pines next door to Pinehurst during the engagement - I'd drive to Southern Pines weekly from my home on Monday back home on Thursday. Next year's 77th (2022) USGA Women's Open Championship will be contested @ Pine Needles Golf Course, Southern Pines, NC. I'll be working as a Marshal. That's very nice your son spent a couple weeks as an apprentice in turf management @ Pinehurst. I agree the area is beautiful. USGA headquarters has always been in Liberty Corner (very expensive Somerset County), NJ; but, USGA has always had a significance presence in Pinehurst. Now, USGA has committed to building a new second headquarters located in Pinehurst, NC.

USGA to Establish Second Home in Pinehurst
Old December 17th, 2021, 03:53 AM
Running On Empty

I trust you are aware that there are strict rules concerning making fun of the way Mods speak the Kings English
James - Sho nuff....I'm guilty.

Off to bang the little ball around for another game of pasture pool this morning. Temperatures in the mid-70°F range, 5 mph wind.
Old December 17th, 2021, 06:08 AM

Good morning guys,

Miserable here this morning, a very cold rain, and if it were any colder it would be snowing at 34° F right now. It's only supposed to reach a high of 40°, with rain on and off all day.

Despite the miserable weather, the sun is shining in our household this morning because I was able to pick my wife up at my BIL's house last night about 1100 and we were home about midnight. You should have seen our dogs when she came in the door, they went berserk they were so happy to see her, especially Monty! We're all just glad to have her home safe and sound after their 1,915-mile drive through hell.

Can't say I'm excited about going out in this lovely weather, but we have our weekly boy's basketball practice this evening at 5:30, and our weekly game tomorrow at noon. No other big plans for this weekend other than staying warm and dry. My wife has already said she has no desire to get in a car and go anywhere, which I'm sure is an understatement.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 17th, 2021, 06:52 AM

After we have the funeral for Mr. Alaska I'm headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends

Norm, One of my favorite movie lines is "Buzzards gotta eat"
Old December 17th, 2021, 07:10 AM

Norm, One of my favorite movie lines is "Buzzards gotta eat"
"Same as worms!" Outlaw Josey Wales, one of my favorites. Chief Dan George is great in that movie! I love it when he said, "I didn't surrender, my horse did." So, so many great one liners in that movie, I could sit here and probably rattle off about twenty of them.
Old December 17th, 2021, 07:59 AM

" I've noticed when you get to disliking someone, they ain't around long neither"
Old December 17th, 2021, 08:18 AM

"I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me."
Old December 17th, 2021, 09:22 AM

After listening to the Carpetbagger Snake Oil Salesman spew on about the magical qualities of his elixir, Josey spits tobacco juice on his white suit and says, "How's it with stains?"
Old December 17th, 2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
"I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me."
But, a few days later when Josey, Chief Lone Wadi, and Moonbeam (Indian girl) are camped, Josey hears something over by where Lone Wadi is bedded down, and walks over and interrupts the Chief and Moonbeam going at it. The Chief responds with a big grin, "I guess you were right, I ain't that old afterall!"
Old December 17th, 2021, 09:59 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good morning at work. We ran out of wheels so we stopped working. This was around 10 or 1030. The brake side went home. The vendor showed up around noon. Our lead said, we needed to stay and receive the food and be grateful for it. So we all stayed. It was Olive Garden. Some people complained, I thought it was pretty good. Some people will complain about anything. I'm sure lunch was a writeoff for his company. He could have just as easily bought a set of tires for the delivery truck.

Dan those are nice pictures. Is that someone parasailing around the light house?

I've never seen that movie. A couple more quotes and I won't have to. There's a guy at work we quote Seinfeld to each other, and we try to stump each other on when someone says a line and what the four are doing at the time.

Jamesbo when do you find out about Mrs. Alaska? So much for final resting place.

So now Koda is notorious. "Oh there's that guy John. You don't want to mess with him..." That's pretty cool. I'd like to be notorious.

Took the Suburban to work today. It was a big hit. People were surprised I'd have something that nice. Which is odd, because I've never had any of my wrecks there. Just the Saturn and the dogmobile. The dogmobile is dirty but still nice. Eh, I guess I'm notorious for having old junk.

Okay I'm gonna go get more car parts this afternoon, then put them all in. Looking forward to the weekend. Have a good one everyone.

Old December 17th, 2021, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

I've never seen that movie. A couple more quotes and I won't have to. There's a guy at work we quote Seinfeld to each other, and we try to stump each other on when someone says a line and what the four are doing at the time.
Mike - Always good to get out of work early on a Friday. I have no doubt that when it comes to Seinfeld or M.A.S.H you would be the King of Quotes! Especially considering it's age, I'm sure the guys at work are very impressed with the new Suburban, I know I am! Hard to find those without some kind of rust issues. How are the GM diesels from those years, are they known for being pretty stout and dependable? I have absolutely no knowledge about the diesels from around that year.
Old December 17th, 2021, 01:12 PM

Mike, yes, there were two guys parasailing in the channel near the lighthouse. The OutlawJosey Wales is a good movie, and I like Chief Dan George. I also liked him in Little Big Man, with Dustin Hoffman.
Old December 17th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Mike, yes, there were two guys parasailing in the channel near the lighthouse. The OutlawJosey Wales is a good movie, and I like Chief Dan George. I also liked him in Little Big Man, with Dustin Hoffman.
Dan - Boy, it sure looked hairy and miserable out there for parasailing. Those guy's are nuts. Wow,, Little Big Man, a really good movie I haven't seen in years. Dustin Hoffman is so good, my two favorite movies of his are Papillon and Rain Man.