The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2022, 04:16 PM

Norm, you had to remove the A/C compressor to remove the fuel pump? Man.....
Old August 13th, 2022, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - No. Only the AC compressor bracket which bolts to the block. I believe the AC compressor utilizes two brackets which are assembled together. Could be a third bracket which is really a plate. A rather simple deal really, other than finagling to get sockets/wrenches on the bolts.

All done with the new fuel pump & let me tell you what a difference in fuel delivery on this new fuel pump - yeah baby. It was long overdue for a new fuel pump. Wherever it was leaking on the old fuel pump (vent or crimped metal), I'm sure the diaphragm was shot. Found a minor (very soon to become major) leak where the heater hose attaches to the water pump. Someone (not me) had tightened that hose like they were strangling someone. Tightened so tight it was beginning to leak right where the clamp attaches - so, that got fixed. Went for a five mile ride and got on it. Arrived back at the man-cave - no leaks, dry as a bone. No more smell of fuel and it idles far, far much better. I'm sure to see an improvement in mileage, as well. I replaced the rubber fuel lines at the fuel tank and leading to the fuel pump the winter before last.
Old August 13th, 2022, 06:56 PM

Greg - You didn't mention anything about your Model T experience, any pics?

Jim - Looks like you had a wonderful dinner, wish I'd been there!

Norm - Great job on the CS, wish I was half the mechanic you are.

Went to the cruise-in at the Burger King, great turnout. Saw several guys I've become acquainted with from other events. My daughter that recently moved very close to me came up with her two boys, Gabe and Keegan. We walked around and looked at all of the cars together. Of course Gabe (9-years) liked all of the modern muscle, Camaros, Challengers, and Corvettes. It was fun, but I only stayed until 7pm because I've got to get up in the morning.

Put the car away and ran up to McD's to grab some food. Son-of-a-B if I didn't have a crown come off while I was eating. Luckily, I didn't chomp down on it or swallow it, and I have my regular 6-month check-up and cleaning scheduled for next week. No pain, just don't want to damage anything until I can get in there next week. Hoping the surfaces can just be cleaned up and it glued back on!

Car Show in Ste. Genevieve tomorrow morning/afternoon. I'll take pics at that one. Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!
Old August 13th, 2022, 11:16 PM

Jamesbo,
I was perusing pictures on my computer and found these from Sept 08 2011 in Prescott, AZ and thought you would like them. I don't know anything other than what's in the pictures; apparently I was intrigued by this vehicle so I took some pictures of it. I guess it's just a Jeep thing (I have a TJ).

Old August 14th, 2022, 04:25 AM

Kenneth,

Tanks,

It's a VERY nice WW II jeep equipped for the desert with radiator overflow on passenger's side front grill

TRIVIA The radiator overflow was an after thought to recover water/ coolant when the troops went to North Africa. The 1st ones were jerry gigged from spent shell casings

Looks like and M-1 rifle rack below the windshield and a non Military issue after market behind the seat pouch

Mine's a little later Korean vintage

FWIW people have gone completely bat $hit crazy over these WW II jeep

The Mutts from Vietnam and the Korean war jeeps are catching up

FWIW, I wouldn't have a Mutt because the turn over too easily

The 1st round fenders were the M 38 A 1 like mine

Old August 14th, 2022, 08:44 AM
Running On Empty

That jeep is a chick magnet…

[/QUOTE]
Old August 14th, 2022, 08:48 AM

Thanks Norm But "Chick magnet" at my age is like Monty chasing cars, He wouldn't know what to do with one IF he caught it
Old August 14th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Running On Empty

It was more a compliment than a call to arms, but I think you knew that.
Old August 14th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I had a crown come off ~3 weeks ago. Scares the dickens out of you. No damage, dentist was able to re-cement w/ no issues. Came away good on that one. 👍
Old August 14th, 2022, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
It was more a compliment than a call to arms, but I think you knew that.
Tanks Norm

For Chris, BLT with melted Maytag Blue Cheese

Old August 14th, 2022, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
..BLT with melted Maytag Blue Cheese
What, no side of laundry detergent?
Old August 14th, 2022, 12:18 PM

speaking of food. In the winter my mother would make Welsh rarebit served over toast in the morning for breakfast. I have had any or even thought about it in decades. I'm gonna try and make some soon
Old August 14th, 2022, 12:48 PM

Well, three's a charm I suppose when it comes to crowns. Going in Weds, to get a broken one replaced. It will be out of pocket as I used up my insurance from work, one crown, and a couple of separate visits to the endodontist back in March/April. It will set me back $1150.00. Had someone try to get inot my house at 5:20am this morning. I heard something sorta bang or thump loudly, I looked out to see a Ford Escape tear down the road w/o his lights on. Ballsy considering that I have lights on the garage and at the front door. I figured the noise that I heard was when they tried to open the storm door which is kept locked, it will make a noticeable sound if you try to open it, as it is a metal framed door.
Old August 14th, 2022, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Let them inside before you give them both barrels.
Old August 14th, 2022, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I had a crown come off ~3 weeks ago. Scares the dickens out of you. No damage, dentist was able to re-cement w/ no issues. Came away good on that one. 👍
Wow, You, Dan, and I in the matter of a few weeks. I cannot really tell if mine is broken, a couple of the sides look kind of short. I hope it can be put.back on!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 14th, 2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old August 14th, 2022, 03:09 PM

Tanks Norm

For Chris, BLT with melted Maytag Blue Cheese

Jim - You read my mind brother! You know I love monster BLT's. Picked up two packs of this thick cut bacon at Sam's Club last time we were there. Got to go to a local produce stand and get some.fresh tomatoes and lettuce. The BLT's are a coming!

I think 6lbs. should hold me for.awhile!
Old August 14th, 2022, 03:22 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good trip yesterday. Got home about 130am in the morning and slept in. Lollygagged around, went to Home Depot, came to Mom's to do some superficial work. Right now I'm eating left over spaghetti and will go home in a little while.

Norm glad you got the tractor back together. I don't recall, do you have a lift in the mancave? I used my lift once, way nice. I hope to use it again someday.

Kenneth, once upon a time you told me how I can get the screen on the computer to be bigger. With this new computer the screen for CO is so freaking small I can hardly see anything. Can you tell me again I forgot.

So I'm a part time rocket scientist, and the other day Joe P. had trouble with something and asked me to help him.

For this week I have a little painting and some yardwork to do so things look different when Mom gets home. I don't want her to think I was slacking. I should cut down a tree out front so I can put up the new mailbox. I don't want to go crazy.

Okay have a good evening everyone and a good start to the week.

Old August 14th, 2022, 04:34 PM

Good evening guys,

Had a great time at the Ste. Genevieve Car Show today. A very pretty 50-mile drive down there, a pretty setting for the show and a very good turnout of nice cars. I was in a tough class, 1964-1972 Muscle Cars, but somehow managed to place 2nd. Got a really cool trophy! If you would like to see pics from the show, you can find them here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2022-a-166501/

Old August 14th, 2022, 05:02 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Leftover spaghetti is the best. I have a pneumatic/hydraulic motorcycle lift (1500lb capacity) with attachable/detachable sides. I really like it. It's not only easy to work on the motorcycle, but the JD ZTR lawn mower sits on it perfectly making blade changes, oil changes etc. very easy to work on. Actually, any piece of equipment (portable generator, concrete edger, etc.) is so much easier to work on when it's at waist height. I wish I had a vehicle lift that would be the cat's meow.
Old August 15th, 2022, 04:29 AM

Model T thing was great. only got a couple lousy pics. Those things are hard to drive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20220814_120147.jpg (2.01 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg
20220814_153002.jpg (1.66 MB, 10 views)
Old August 15th, 2022, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Model T thing was great. only got a couple lousy pics. Those things are hard to drive!
Greg - Glad you had a good time! 👍
Old August 15th, 2022, 07:30 AM
Jeff

Entering my car in a car show for the first time this Thursday at work, weather permitting.

Hey Chris, they had a recall on those Home Run Inn pizzas for metal in the meat. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls-al...foreign-matter
Old August 15th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Entering my car in a car show for the first time this Thursday at work, weather permitting.

Hey Chris, they had a recall on those Home Run Inn pizzas for metal in the meat. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls-al...foreign-matter
Jeff - The ones that were recalled are the ones I've been eating, the Classic Sausage. However the ones recalled are from a specific produced date/best by date, and luckily I don't have any from that date in the freezer. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hope the car show is a good time!
Old August 15th, 2022, 08:12 AM
Jeff

I decided to clean up the bottom insides of the doors last week, the area where the door skin is welded to the door. Not too much rust there, but it is something I should have done years ago. Used a rust inhibitor called Xtenze, then yesterday was primer and first top coat. Just pulled the car out of garage and backed into the backyard so that it's sitting in the sun. That first topcoat didn't exactly set up, feels a bit tacky to the touch. Going to be a nice warm, dry, low humidity day, so hopefully it'll dry properly in the next couple of hours so that I can hit another coat and be done with this detailing step.
Old August 15th, 2022, 08:32 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

What a beautiful morning I walked out into this morning. Still dark at 5, the moon was bright with a planet(I don't know which one) next to it. Tons of stars, no clouds, nice temp. Really appreciate a morning like that.

Work came to a stand still around 8. The guys couldn't get the regulators to inflate the tires above 200lbs. Some of the nose tires don't go that high but the lead said we can't trust any of it. It must be a problem with the regulator on the big tank outside. They are still putting bearings in but then setting the tires aside. No telling when it will be fixed. We're running out of room to stack them.

About half way to lunch today the trans in the dogmobile started acting up. Starts out okay, but then revs way up and slams into second. Won't shift up after that. Should be interesting getting home this afternoon. I've been thinking the trans was on its way out and now I know.

No problem Chris, just run a magnet over your dinner.

So Jeff no interest in the car at all? I can't imagine that. Maybe with the new detailing...

Well lunch is over. Guess I'll get back to waiting. Have a good day everyone.

Old August 15th, 2022, 08:40 AM
Jeff

Well, everyone is put off by the driver's door, quarter, and the deck lid paint. I just haven't had the time to take it to a shop to get the paint matched, have a batch mixed up, so that I can just respray those areas. Highest offer I've had is $15k, but not by anyone that has come to look at the car. So, I don't take those types of offers very seriously. I'm not a fan of folks negotiating price before they've even come to look at a car. I do need to list it with Hemmings or another classic car trader publication/site.
Old August 15th, 2022, 09:00 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
So I'm a part time rocket scientist, and the other day Joe P. had trouble with something and asked me to help him.
Mike, It's good CO has a back up Rocket scientist. Joe is getting kinda long in the tooth. I couldn't get in MIT with a crowbar

I guess we'll know soon if he follows this thread
Old August 15th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Always room for one more

I've actually been to MIT and toured around. My girlfriend from high school went to MIT and a few years ago we reconnected(for a short time) and she lived in Boston and she took me there and showed me around. Lots of cool things to see. I'm sure Joe will see the humor in things.

So we're still standing pat. A couple of the guys are signing the wheels off anyway, to get ahead of things when the nitrogen system starts working again. I wanted to do that as well, but my wall guy doesn't want to sign his section without leak checking them. Can't say as I blame him. Yes we need all these wheels to go back into service, but there is no shortage anywhere so if the system is slow to get replacements in the next day or so I don't see any big problem.

You know what Greg I've never even sat in a Model T. I've sort of given up on this for now but I wanted to buy a car that was 99 years old, so I would own it when it turned 100. A weird idea maybe. Most of the cars I found were Model Ts, but the problem was very few of them were original. And with a car that's a hundred years old there is no guarantee anything is original, that's a long time.

So I guess I'll go over to the transmission guy this afternoon and see what he wants for a transmission. Or maybe he can fix it up to get a little more out of it. At 160K I'd say it's had a good run.

Old August 15th, 2022, 10:15 AM

Well, everyone is put off by the driver's door, quarter, and the deck lid paint. I just haven't had the time to take it to a shop to get the paint matched, have a batch mixed up, so that I can just respray those areas. Highest offer I've had is $15k, but not by anyone that has come to look at the car. So, I don't take those types of offers very seriously. I'm not a fan of folks negotiating price before they've even come to look at a car. I do need to list it with Hemmings or another classic car trader publication/site.
Jeff - Good on you for continuing to make improvements to the car! I hope you can at least close to the price you're asking now. I see you have dropped the price some. I'm sure it's worth what you're asking. The only thing I can think of is folks are scared off by what it might cost to get the top working? Good luck!!!

If you have time, check out this '66 Starfire Holiday Coupe with 425ci, 4 bbl, and TH400 that was recently offered up there in Michigan. They were only asking $23.9K for this car, and it sold in 2-days. The car looked immaculate from the pics, but they can be deceiving. If I had the space I would have been hard pressed not to buy it for that.

https://www.southernmotors.com/Inventory/Details/5847
Old August 15th, 2022, 10:24 AM

Mike, It's good CO has a back up Rocket scientist. Joe is getting kinda long in the tooth. I couldn't get in MIT with a crowbar

I guess we'll know soon if he follows this thread
Hey, I'd like to be included in the CO Rocket Scientist Club. Not an MIT grad, but think I qualify from on the job experience, circa 1999 - 2003. Still got my NASA credentials stashed away somewhere.

Old August 15th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jeff - Good on you for continuing to make improvements to the car! I hope you can at least close to the price you're asking now. I see you have dropped the price some. I'm sure it's worth what you're asking. The only thing I can think of is folks are scared off by what it might cost to get the top working? Good luck!!!

If you have time, check out this '66 Starfire Holiday Coupe with 425ci, 4 bbl, and TH400 that was recently offered up there in Michigan. They were only asking $23.9K for this car, and it sold in 2-days. The car looked immaculate from the pics, but they can be deceiving. If I had the space I would have been hard pressed not to buy it for that.

https://www.southernmotors.com/Inventory/Details/5847
This place is literally 2 miles from my old house in Clarkston, MI. They've had a few Starfires go through this location. And yes, I agree... that car looks soooooo clean.

The top is next on the list. I'll start off with the easiest step: add fluid. I'll have plenty of rags and catch basins on hand in case there is/are leaks.
Old August 15th, 2022, 10:57 AM

The top is next on the list. I'll start off with the easiest step: add fluid. I'll have plenty of rags and catch basins on hand in case there is/are leaks.
Sure would be nice if low fluid is all it is! Sure hope it's not a shot pump! I have no idea if there are places where you can get those rebuilt? Again, best of luck going forward!
Old August 15th, 2022, 12:00 PM

Chris/Mike, Great to know, we've got wall to wall Rocket Scientist. Joe can take up golf and we're still covered
Old August 15th, 2022, 01:22 PM

Chris/Mike, Great to know, we've got wall to wall Rocket Scientist. Joe can take up golf and we're still covered
Yep, never told ya, but Elton's song Rocket Man is about me, I get yearly royalties. That's how I was able to retire!
Old August 15th, 2022, 01:30 PM

Maybe Norm can teach Joe to keep the ball where the mowers go

Old August 15th, 2022, 01:54 PM

Maybe Norm can teach Joe to keep the ball where the mowers go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpZGGVjBNA
Nice!
Old August 15th, 2022, 02:31 PM

Jeff, I have been watching the Hemmings Auctions, now maybe they only publish the results of the cars that sell well, I don't know... But seems like a pretty good deal at a hundred bucks. Or maybe there is more to the story? Have you checked them out??
Old August 15th, 2022, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Jeff, I have been watching the Hemmings Auctions, now maybe they only publish the results of the cars that sell well, I don't know... But seems like a pretty good deal at a hundred bucks. Or maybe there is more to the story? Have you checked them out??
Greg - I know nothing about Hemming's Auctions, but I found my car on their regular Classic Car classified section. I have no idea how much they charge for their classified ads? Do you know?
Old August 15th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Running On Empty

Maybe Norm can teach Joe to keep the ball where the mowers go...
Old August 15th, 2022, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Complete meltdown...