The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2022, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Got my "wash station' [read old bird dog pin slab] up and running with frost free hose bib hose reel etc
Washed off tractor and Gator and put them away
Jeep carrier has now moved [once again] from this morning pick up to late this afternoon pick up
I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut, need 's still trying to get a full load
When I decide to be a lying POS I'm gonna start carrying cars
Nice to have a wash station - I hope it appeals to the Super Model.

Is the carrier going to call you at 3:00AM while sitting in his rig in front of your house? I could have rented, loaded, driven to ATL & back, and still made my tee-off time yesterday @ 11:11AM. I think you're getting a "full load" however which way you look at it.
Old March 29th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Norm - April and October are my 2 least expensive months for heating and cooling. Those 2 months we can usually get by with the windows open. However, there is a price to be paid for that too, the pollen comes in, grass, mold, and trees in the Spring, Ragweed in the Fall!

Jim - I hired a guy with a single enclosed trailer to haul my 4-4-2 from Detroit to St. Louis. Even with it being a single vehicle trailer, there were still delays (couple days) caused by syncing up the original owner's and hauler's schedules. The original owner was dealing with a family medical issue at the time. All worked out in the end, I got what I felt was a fair price, and the car got here with no damage. I'm sure all you're worried about is the Jeep getting here undamaged,
Old March 29th, 2022, 03:26 PM

Norm, Chris I understand the situation . With gas prices what they are the guy needs a full trailer. I just HATE getting the BS 24/7
Old March 29th, 2022, 03:30 PM

Good evening guys,

Very weird weather day here, started out very chilly in the high 30's, totally overcast, then a few brief showers, then the sun came out and right now at 1715 it's 72°.

Made an appointment today for a skin cancer screening/exam. I've never had one from a dermatologist. I've got a couple of moles that are not looking so good, so with my wife's latest scare, I figured I'd better get them checked out..

The 1st cruise-in of the season is this Friday, April 1st, no this is not an April Fools joke. It is the big one that a Car Club has about 30-miles from me on the 1st Friday of every month, April-October. It is the one that had the Vintage Firetruck Norm liked, and which I never got the Make/Model of. Hopefully it will show up again sometime this summer. This is also the largest one in our area, usually having around 400-cars, of a wide variety. The weather that day is supposed to be decent, sunny, but a little chilly with a high of only around 55°. I haven't decided yet if I'm going, I'm kinda reluctant to take off while my wife is still recuperating.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old March 29th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Good luck with the dermatologist. Every time I go there, mine slices off some more of my skin.

Y'all don't want to hear about my summer time cooling bill. Even with the thermostat set to 80º the AC runs almost non-stop, 24-7.
Old March 29th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Good luck with the dermatologist. Every time I go there, mine slices off some more of my skin.
Kenneth - Thanks, I'm thinking I'm gonna need a little luck. Been outside a ton in the sun during my life, and it may have caught up with me. For the past several years I've worn SPF50 block, but it may have been a bit late?
Old March 29th, 2022, 04:57 PM

Meant to, but forgot to mention earlier, I watched Ford vs. Ferrari last night for the 1st time. Wow, I never knew the finishing places for LeMans that year ended up like they did because of the starting place technicality, what a screw job! Also, driving at night, in the rain, at those speeds, is just nuts! Great movie, learned alot, only downside was my dogs were nuts last night, playing and rough housing, and making a ton of noise. I definitely want to watch it again with fewer distractions.
Old March 29th, 2022, 05:04 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

I got home from work around 3, and went over to my Mom's on the way to Walmart. I told Tiger I'd be home way before I was last night. Well, I made it by about 15 minutes. Saw a guy in Walmart I hadn't seen in forever and talked with him. Then sat in the Arby's drive through 20 minutes because there were only two people working there. Got back to Mom's, moved one box, ate supper and headed home. Overtime is starting in the morning, I'd like to participate, but I should have been in bed two hours ago. We'll see.

I see the Summit Monday night cruise in's start April 11. I'm going to try to make as many as I can this year. Sure it's the same cars every week, who cares, it's getting out and seeing cars. Plus I need to start buying motor oil again.

Jamesbo I thought the guy bringing the Jeep was a friend of his that was making the trip just for the Jeep. I think he's waiting on something else.

Kenneth does anyone out there have one of those deep thermo heaters? I don't remember what they're called. They get their air/energy from deep in the ground. They are supposed to be pretty efficient. I'm guessing you don't have much of a frost line.

Norm the guy that brought my Imperial from Connecticut tried doing exactly that. He was very poor at communicating and when I finally got ahold of him he said he would deliver the car at 1am. I said no you ain't. He pulled into town around 3am and he sat all day waiting for me to get off work.

So if I crawl into bed now and go right to sleep, I'll get up some time after 2 and be at work at 4. Otherwise it's business as usual. Year before last I busted my *** working every bit of overtime. I was always dog tired and didn't get one thing done around the house all summer. Last year I said forget that noise, I worked some overtime but didn't go crazy. I think that will be the recipe for this year's overtime.

My neighbors are out on their back deck sitting around a fire pit. Looks nice. I'll get to do that one of these days.

Peace

Old March 29th, 2022, 05:25 PM

Mike, I haven't heard of any geothermal heating units, but I don't know what all goes on around this place. Some areas have a thick crust of volcanic rock that would make drilling nearly impossible, or at least extremely expensive. And since it doesn't get below 40F for more than a few days here in Phoenix, why bother? On the flip side, there are a couple houses in my 'hood that are mostly underground - built in the 70s or so and supposedly energy efficient because they're mostly buried.
Ahwatukee House of the Future: https://kjzz.org/content/244880/did-...uilt-ahwatukee

And there's a mansion that's built out of "green" dirt blocks that are something like 3 or 4 feet thick for insulation.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...oor/894325001/

Old March 29th, 2022, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

A friend of mine w/ ginormous $$ (retired maxilofacial surgeon - the type Chris' wife is seeing) built a family home for his personal biologically extended family in Minnesota (his birthplace) & this home is entirely geothermal - I've never seen it.
Another friend of mine with far less $$ (tenured Microbiology Professor @ U of Oklahoma, Norman) built his entire home from recycled products - walls, planks, boarding, flooring, plumbing, windows, etc. - The walls are prefabbed walls made from recycled "stuff" - they ship directly to the job site. I'm not sure the type of HVAC he (Ralph) uses.
Old March 29th, 2022, 05:50 PM
Always room for one more

Kenneth I thought it worked equally as well for air conditioning. Maybe not.

Old March 29th, 2022, 06:15 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Tomorrow is Hump Day - overtime? Too late - Fuhgeddaboudit.
Old March 30th, 2022, 12:48 AM

Well, It's on the way and the only car [so far] on the trailer. I guess the carrier decided it was better to haul one car than to stay home watching re runs of Gilligan's Island

Old March 30th, 2022, 01:07 AM

Chris, I LOVED Ford vs. Ferrari IMHO it made Ken Miles look crazier than he really was and made Carrol Shelby not look as crazy as he really was. Great Flick. If you've ever read Lee Iacocca's book, He hinted that Henry Ford should be sued by the stockholders for the way ran the company
Old March 30th, 2022, 04:17 AM
Running On Empty

He hinted that Henry Ford should be sued by the stockholders for the way ran the company
Of course he did, Henry fired his A$$. Lee was a tyrant, Henry most likely no better. They had a significant history of squabbling.

Old March 30th, 2022, 05:26 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I was going to say Lee didn't work for Henry, but I looked it up and I would have been wrong. He worked for him for 1 year. He hired on in 1946 and Henry died in 1947. Henry II fired Iaccoca in 1978.

I read Iaccoca's first book some years ago, but don't remember much about it. I still have it I should dig it out and reread it. Quite a good speaker I thought, speaks plainly and doesn't overindulge.

Old March 30th, 2022, 05:56 AM

IMHO Ford ran the company as if it were his Fiefdom

I always like Iacocca. He said he got paid one corn beef sandwich for doing the commercials
Old March 30th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Chris, I LOVED Ford vs. Ferrari IMHO it made Ken Miles look crazier than he really was and made Carrol Shelby not look as crazy as he really was. Great Flick. If you've ever read Lee Iacocca's book, He hinted that Henry Ford should be sued by the stockholders for the way ran the company
Jim - Glad to see the Jeep is on the trailer and headed your way, we hope! I think the driver was probably watching M.A.S.H instead of Gilligan's Island though, he needed a tutorial on how to drive the Jeep. There's where the problem started, Radar was driving the Jeep.

I was so flabbergasted by how the finish of the '66 24hrs of Le Mans was depicted in the movie that I wanted to know more. I found this article that is a compilation of actual quotes taken from many of the key players that were there that day. It doesn't really clear anything up, but it was a very interesting read. The whole thing stunk to high heaven, what a shame!
https://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/...e-mans-66.html
Old March 30th, 2022, 08:07 AM

Tanks Chris, Interesting story. IMHO [also] He was robbed

Old March 30th, 2022, 08:21 AM

Tanks Chris, Interesting story. IMHO [also] He was robbed
Jim - You're welcome, and I agree 100%, Miles was robbed.
Old March 30th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Running On Empty

37/41
Old March 30th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
37/41
Norm - Very nice round! Now who was it that told ya you were fixin to break out with several rounds in the 70's???
Old March 30th, 2022, 10:34 AM

Despite me discouraging (in a caring way) my wife from trying to do too much, too soon after her surgery, yesterday evening she was insistent on finishing up a chest of drawers she started some time ago. She was just sitting and doing the fine detail painting (combination of stencils and hand drawn) on the front of the chest. The French words are a quote from French artist, poet, and novelist Victor Hugo (Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Les Miserables), and translates to "Life is the flower, of which, love provides the honey". Probably her most artistic piece to date.

Old March 30th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Running On Empty

I haven't read either of Iacocca's books; but, I did live through the years & I had very many conversations about Henry & Lee with my cousins/friends. Several of my cousins worked in the auto industry for both Ford & Chrysler throughout the 60s, 70s & 80s - cousins I saw/spoke with on a regular monthly basis involving all sorts of discussions - most of the time they involved Lee (even my Dad was discussing him & my Dad was a die-hard GM Buick man). He was a great mechanical engineer & moved up the ladder extremely fast in his sales/management career; but, he was a tyrant. Most discussions ended with either you saw it Lee's way or the highway. I'm suspecting Henry (of course Henry the 2nd) was most likely of the same mindset. When the Pinto was released - we all called it the "Iacocca".
Old March 30th, 2022, 11:51 AM
Running On Empty

Nine-Hole shootout at 5:00pm. I still need to eat some lunch, but I'm also making an Ambrosia Salad (marshmallow fruit salad). I'm not sure why they call it an Ambrosia Salad (I should look it up). Mine contains the following:

White Seedless Grapes, Maraschino Cherries, Mandarin Oranges, Honey Crisp Apples, Sour Cream, Angel Cake Coconut Flakes, Puffed Miniature Marshmallows & a very light sprinkling of Pecans. Bon Appetit...
Old March 30th, 2022, 11:59 AM

Norm add some graded fresh coconut

NICE Round

Chris, Tell your bride to slow down "There will be plenty of work left when we're gone" and Beautiful piece
Old March 30th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Running On Empty

I received a couple e-mails from USGA this morning asking if I'd function as Captain for the Marshals on Hole #6 for the 2022 U.S. Women's Open Championship. Hole #6 is being marshaled by CGA (Carolina Golf Association) members.
Old March 30th, 2022, 12:12 PM

Nine-Hole shootout at 5:00pm.
Hit 'em straight pardner!
Old March 30th, 2022, 12:23 PM

Chris, Tell your bride to slow down "There will be plenty of work left when we're gone" and Beautiful piece
Jim - Thanks, I'll pass on your compliment on the piece, she'll sincerely appreciate it. Trust me, I'm trying to get her to take it easy, but she's as stubborn and strong willed as she is talented. She really wasn't doing anything that involved lifting with her legs or straining her abdomen yesterday, just sitting on her orthopedic donut in a comfy chair painting. There's a point of diminishing returns on my end if I nag her too much, and I know, that you know what I mean.
Old March 30th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Running On Empty

Yum Yum....Yum Yum

Old March 30th, 2022, 12:52 PM

I received a couple e-mails from USGA this morning asking if I'd function as Captain for the Marshals on Hole #6 for the 2022 U.S. Women's Open Championship. Hole #6 is being marshaled by CGA (Carolina Golf Association) members.
There's a joke in there about marshalling a women's open hole.
Old March 30th, 2022, 01:00 PM

Yum Yum....Yum Yum
That Ambrosia Salad sure looks good!
Old March 30th, 2022, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
There's a joke in there about marshalling a women's open hole.
John - I was going to say something complimentary about Norm's selection as Captain, however, your comment is more on point. He's definitely the man for the job! Since he's Captain, I guess that means he'll be "instructing"!
Old March 30th, 2022, 02:55 PM

the Jeep has finally arrived. Now I haveta dress it up a mite
Old March 30th, 2022, 03:30 PM

the Jeep has finally arrived. Now I haveta dress it up a mite
Jim, glad it got there safely. Can't wait to see pics after you've got her dressed up! 😀
Old March 30th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Running On Empty

Second Place 9-Hole Shootout (38); combined w/ last weeks (37) = 75
Jim - Happy the M38A1 arrived.
John/Chris - Dark sunglasses + a good sense of smell for Hole #6
Massage Therapy @ 9:00AM
Old March 30th, 2022, 05:07 PM
Always room for one more

Oh me I'm tired. Sat around work after we finished and I dozed off. So I was tired leaving the place, then moved a bunch of boxes for my Mom. I should get to bed so I can get up early for overtime. I'm thinking I won't be awake at 10 tonight so I'll set the alarm for 2am. Yowza.

Jamesbo I'm glad the Jeep got there. Hope it's everything you thought it would be.

We're supposed to get that bad storm come through here after midnight and through 8 tomorrow morning. I think it's going to come early. Yay more wind. Supposed to be nice the rest of the week starting after the storm.

Norm the Ambrosia salad looks wonderful. Ambrosia is food for the gods. I've also heard of Ambrosia pudding. Which is opposite of what we have at work. Wasn't there a band named Ambrosia?

Never saw Ford v. Ferrari. Never have been a fan of ol' Shel and I don't know any of the other people. Unless Enzo is in there, he was a handful.

Okay bedtime. Might be a long night depending on what that storm wants to do.

Old March 30th, 2022, 05:20 PM

Second Place 9-Hole Shootout (38); combined w/ last weeks (37) = 75
Norm - Nice day on the links!
Old March 30th, 2022, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Yeah, Ambrosia was a decent enough band. They had very interesting beginnings/influences and Alan Parsons (you've heard me reference Alan's early engineering career) heavily influenced the band as both engineer & producer for Ambrosia. You did make me look it up - I remember it as Nectar Of The Gods, but you're right Food For The Gods - I'll sleep better. You should get a decent rumbling as the front passes through ATL shortly. We're getting the same front tomorrow night.
Old March 30th, 2022, 05:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Nice day on the links!
Chris - Thanks. I could learn to enjoy this game...