The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2022, 04:53 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Good day today. Three people signing at work so we each did 44 wheels. Even though the clowns had two wall guys and I only had one, I finished first and said I'd keep going to help them out. My wall guy said nah I'll give the rest of my wheels to them. But we finished by 1 so all was good. I have a feeling I'll be the only mechanic that shows up for overtime tomorrow, so it will be a long day.

Heard coyotes howling when I left for work at 5 this morning. I thought they were late evening, middle of the night creatures. Five AM seems a bit late for them to be out. I think I'll light tiki torches before I go to bed every night so when we go out the flames will keep them at bay. Did I say that before? I haven't tried it yet.

Supposed to get rain tomorrow and I think Wednesday. Got everything into the dumpster that needs to be there. Didn't get much done because Mom and I both had errands this afternoon, so we did that. I plan to get my ears lowered tomorrow after work and with rain we won't get much done outside. Maybe we'll just unpack boxes. She is doing a good job inside during the day.

So I can tell it's been awhile since I've bought a car(December, actually). I probably mentioned back in October I wanted to go look at an Impala SS. It's cheep, toast, doesn't run. The first time I talked to the guy I thought he was great. It went downhill from there until he just blew me off. I texted him the other night and he still has it and wants me to come look. There's also a guy in Texas who bought a 56 Imperial in California then found out it will cost him 4600 to get it to him. Now he is selling it where-is and it is the same description, cheep-toast-doesn't run. I love, love the 56 Imperial. Then of course there is my friend who said I could have his Herbie VW. It is most likely toast and might run, but it's been sitting for years. And it's in Pennsylvania. Geez, of all the character flaws to have I had to like used up cars.

Well I'm beat. I really didn't do that much today but it's been a pattern. I think it's worrying about all this moving biz. I fully expect it to go on through the summer. Then when the boxes are done and everthing is put away, I get to start painting. And replacing doors. And yardwork. And, and, and...

Peace

Old April 4th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - The fun has just begun on the M38A1. I can't wait to see how the canvas looks after the install. Don't know if you're having side panels made or not, but just having the top canvas is going to be very sweet.
Regarding the shovel: (1) Its usage was to dig a trench (bunker) below ground so your A$$ had less chance of being filled with shrapnel; and (2) possibility of digging the jeep out of a rut/ditch/snow, etc. Once the shovel is mounted (under the hood), unless you "show" it to anyone, there's a good chance the shovel will never see the light of day (unless you're planning to take a $HIT in the woods). Yet, I can relate to just "knowing" you have it there sorta makes the buggy complete.
Old April 4th, 2022, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, I got the )&^)_&_)( shovel shortened and stained. Now I'll have to repaint the metal parts and hang it under the hood. This thing is gonna 50 buck me to death with nit $hit small expensive parts, but I'm still having fun
Jim - You deserve to have a little fun, like they say, ya can't take it with ya! After you get it all assessorized what are you going to do with it, anything special like shows or parades, or just cruising around the lake home or main home?
Old April 4th, 2022, 05:12 PM

Tanks Chris/Norm

No doors but the thing has a [rare to me] heater/defroster

Only winter top

My research says there never was a summer top only winter and artic [hard top]

No, I spent too much time in the shopping center business staring at bricks to wants stand around staring at cars. It's going to the lake to ride up and down to the dock, Maybe an occasional trip to the convenience store or the recycling center or a marina for a sandwich

I just like it As time goes by I may add a few more things but I'm close [ when the top comes in] to wear I want it

I toyed with the idea of hooking up the trailer and practicing short tongue[ IMPOSSIBLE] to back up until I became the GREATEST backer upper in the world, [ I have a 15 acre field] The jury is still out
Old April 4th, 2022, 05:29 PM

Good evening guys,

Pretty nice out today, sunny on and off, and about 70. Went to pick up some small furniture pieces for my wife early this morning, just a couple of smaller tables and chairs I could handle by myself.

When I drove my 4-4-2 to the cruise-in last Friday, I was thinking to myself the ride felt harsher and more jittery than I remembered, but initially I just chalked it up to not being used to driving it. Then it hit me yesterday, I had purposely overinflated the tires for the winter to keep them from getting flat spots from sitting all winter. I drove it to the cruise with 50 psi in the tires, no wonder the ride felt so harsh and jittery! Duh!!!

Mowed for the first time later in the morning after the grass dried out, the ritual begins. Went for my 1st motorcycle ride of the season this afternoon, it felt good to be back on one of my bikes. I didn't go too far, took off on a secondary road to the nearest town north of us, then back past my house down to the nearest town south of us and then home, about 60-miles round trip. I didn't have much time because my wife was going to have dinner ready, but I was itching to get out for a ride and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

My wife's 1st follow-up with the surgeon is on Wednesday, we're both anxious and hoping it's all good news.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old April 4th, 2022, 05:41 PM

Tanks Chris/Norm

No doors but the thing has a [rare to me] heater/defroster

Only winter top

My research says there never was a summer top only winter and artic [hard top]

No, I spent too much time in the shopping center business staring at bricks to wants stand around staring at cars. It's going to the lake to ride up and down to the dock, Maybe an occasional trip to the convenience store or the recycling center or a marina for a sandwich

I just like it As time goes by I may add a few more things bur I'm close [ when the top comes in] to wear I want it

I toyed with the idea of hooking up the trailer and practicing short tongue[ IMPOSSIBLE] to back up until I became the GREATEST backer upper in the world, [ I have a 15 acre field] The jury is still out
Jim - That sounds like a fun way to utilize it. I'm sure the kids will love it. If they have a 4th of July, Memorial Day, or Veterans Day parade up at the lake, you ought to consider participating in it, folks would love to see it, I know I would, JMO.
Old April 4th, 2022, 05:43 PM
Always room for one more

Here you go Norm

Old April 4th, 2022, 05:44 PM

Chris, I may end up with the only millennials [grandkids ]that know how to drive a car with a clutch/Actually I thought about their dads today when I was shortening the handle of the shovel. When they were 2 young pups, I gave them both a [small] axe head and handle, rasp and showed them how to replace and axe head on a new handle.Took them all day but MAYBE they learned something worthwhile
Old April 4th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Chris, I may end up with the only milltaniums that know how to drive a car with a clutch
Now that should be interesting! I taught both my girls how to drive motorcycles and cars with clutches, it wasn't pretty, but they eventually learned by trial and error, mostly error!
Old April 4th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

Living in the Ozarks (Boston Mtns.) of Arkansas (1983) I sold my manual transmission red 1968 Opel Kadet to a Chinese guy (what the hell he was doing living in the Boston Mtns. I still wonder to this day). Anyways, he didn't know how to drive a stick. I told him I'd give him lessons. I started him off slowly, he backed (slammed) into the loading ramp dock only five or six times. After three to four lessons he was slamming it into the ramp only every other time - lessons completed, drive it like you own it.
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Anyone ever ride your bicycle with your buddies (3, 4, 5, 6 of you) all talking at once, laughing your A$$es off, not paying much attention in front of you then slam into the back of a parked car and do a face plant into the trunk lid? I had to buy a couple new tire rims growing up in my teen years.

Why we did this next one I'll never know, but we'd see this damn "fogger" cruising through the neighborhood - a mosquito sprayer truck. Why did we think it was cool to follow that machine laying down a blinding smoke screen of Malathion? Explains who I am I guess.
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:11 PM

Norm, I had one of those gold Opel Rallyes, I tore the $hit out of the previous year [silver] demo the car salesman's [my dad's salesman not mine] loaned me in one night. Lucky for me my father bought Deuce and a quarters [Buick Electra 225] from the same guy frequently

Actually lucky to still be vertical after the silver Opel incident
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

Jim, my Dad was a Buick freak...he owned three deuceandaquarters, and an Invicta Wagon, a LeSabre, a Wildcat, maybe another one or two....he only bought Buicks.
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

Jim, oh yeah, that red Opel was the Rallye Kadette version. It looked exactly like this....

Old April 4th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Running On Empty

I'm sitting here in laughter recalling me teaching that Chinese guy (he was about 5'2") how to drive a stick. Each time he'd slam into the loading dock concrete wall he'd have this smiling $hit eating grin on his face....I was in F'ing tears from the laughter.
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:28 PM

Norm, i'm having a brain phart. were the silver once 67 and the gold 68
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:29 PM
Running On Empty

I figured out what these people around the streets have in their laps while driving their cars acting like diesel dorks - they have a Schnoodle between their legs. The Schnoodle occupies the area between the steering wheel and the person attempting to drive. The Schnoodle's head hangs out the window so it can be the first to jump from the car during an accident. An Egg Noodle driving with a Schnoodle between their legs.
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Running On Empty

Jim, I can't recall. This image much more closely resembles the 1968 I bought for $650 back in 1982...

Old April 4th, 2022, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm sitting here in laughter recalling me teaching that Chinese guy (he was about 5'2") how to drive a stick. Each time he'd slam into the loading dock concrete wall he'd have this smiling $hit eating grin on his face....I was in F'ing tears from the laughter.
Reminds me of the damn engine room scene from "The Sandpebbles" where McQueen is trying to teach the coulie to run the engine! Main stem stop walve, main stem stop walve! Live stem, stem go sleep, all dead stem! What a great movie!
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Saw Sandpebbles once. I did see the original (1968) Thomas Crown Affair several times in 1969. Steve McQueen's tongue tickling Faye Dunaway's tonsils.

Old April 4th, 2022, 06:54 PM

Chris - Saw Sandpebbles once. I did see the original (1968) Thomas Crown Affair several times in 1969. Steve McQueen's tongue tickling Faye Dunaway's tonsils.
Norm - I've seen the 1968 original a few times, but I like the 1999 remake better with Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo. Renee certainly ain't no slouch!
Old April 4th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Running On Empty

Renee played a great role in 'Tin Cup' - I'd love for her to put a lip lock on my love muscle.
Old April 4th, 2022, 07:04 PM

Speaking of Opels, I saw this at the grocery store last weekend.

Old April 4th, 2022, 07:07 PM

Mike,
I’ve seen a lot of ‘yotes in my area during the morning dog walk, most recently 2 weeks ago.
Old April 4th, 2022, 07:29 PM

Renee played a great role in 'Tin Cup' - I'd love for her to put a lip lock on my love muscle.
Norm - I believe I've mentioned this before, but my 1st cousin, Jon Jaress (1st pic) was the Head Pro at Tubac Golf Resort (2nd pic) when many of the golf scenes from Tin Cup were shot there. He told me that Renee, Costner, and Marin were just regular people and very approachable, but Don Johnson was kind of a stuck up jerk. Maybe he was just trying to stay in character? He also told me hands down, Craig Stadtler was the life of the after hour parties.

Old April 4th, 2022, 10:00 PM
GCH

Keith Glenn - Very challenging times for you & your Eastern neighbors across the channel. All the best.

EDIT: I meant to say Glenn - thanks for catching my mistake Keith.
Thanks Norm , yes refugees are coming and familys opens their homes to help. Horrible pictures on the news
Old April 5th, 2022, 02:49 AM

X2

Norm Mine looked like this one Hemmings has one for sale for only 15 K. It's been a while but I wat to say 109
hp
Old April 5th, 2022, 03:36 AM

I have a favorite axe I've had over 30 years, Jim. It's went thru 3 handles and one axe head. It's a good 'un. I would never replace it!! Well we went to another lab in Clare that said they would get wifeys blood test results to U of M asap. I think it worked... We had to do a Zoom meeting on her phone with a U of M nutritionist in the Clare Burger King as we couldn't get back home in time. This was also a test for Buddy as he had to stay by himself alone in the car, He did well, no destroyed seats, etc... Boy, now that she is doing better, I need to get over to barn and fiddle with old truck hood, just can't get motivated to restart. Got another 4 inches or so of wet sloppy snow yesterday.
Old April 5th, 2022, 03:49 AM
Running On Empty

Norm Mine looked like this one Hemmings has one for sale for only 15 K. It's been a while but I wat to say 109 hp
Inline 4
Displacement : 1897 cc | 115.8 cu in. | 1.9 L.
Power : 102 BHP (75.072 KW) @ 5200 RPM
Torque : 115 Ft-Lbs (156 NM) @ 3100 RPM
Bore : 3.7 in | 93 mm.
Stroke : 2.8 in | 70 mm.
Compression : 9.0:1
Main Bearings : 5
Cylinder Block : Cast-iron
Cylinder Head : Light Alloy
Ignition system : Solex 2 barrel carb
Old April 5th, 2022, 03:59 AM
Running On Empty

Husqvarna 223L weed whacker in-line long shaft brush weed eater I've had apart a couple times over the past 10 years. Last year thought I'd take it to the small engine shop for repair. $120 it worked fine several days then took a dump. They replaced the carburetor, big deal - won't stay running. Guess I'll wrestle with it myself again to get it running well. When I push in on the fuel bulb to vent air, that bulb remains collapsed - it's like it won't open (return) to its normal position, but instead stays "sucked in". Hmmmm....time to remove the covers and have a look-see.
Old April 5th, 2022, 04:10 AM

Morm, Are you sure the bulb is still good? I've had them go tango uniform and they won't prime
Old April 5th, 2022, 04:39 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - That's exactly what I'm thinking. It runs for some time quite well, but then won't stay running. It has me confused. I "think" it may be running really, really rich - not sure. I'm getting lots of oil from the exhaust. I suppose I should get my **** up and into the man-cave and start taking it apart.
Old April 5th, 2022, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Boy, now that she is doing better, I need to get over to barn and fiddle with old truck hood, just can't get motivated to restart. Got another 4 inches or so of wet sloppy snow yesterday.
Greg - Sure glad it sounds like you've gotten the lab situation worked out, and that your wife is doing well! That really sucks you guys are still getting snow. I can understand how it's hard to get motivated to get over and work in a cold barn when it's still like that out. I bet you'll get the itch to get over there when the weather turns. Hope all continues to go well with your wife's recovery.
Old April 5th, 2022, 06:20 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

As I expected, I was the only mechanic that came in for overtime. I signed 19 wheels in that two hours. Another guy(who's a dumbass) showed up close to 5 and signed 6 wheels. I tell you what, if I were lead and you came in "late" for overtime, your *** is hitting the breakroom. Overtime is scheduled for 4. If you can't make it by 4, don't come in until the regular time. Anyway, the lead made a big deal about having a huge backlog of wheels and we're going to need to do 175 a day all week. Then you know what, we ran out of wheels. I don't know who has dropped the ball, but the bottom line is there's a gap in the work between the large amount of wheels and the people signing them off. Way to back up your rant...

When I was but a wee one, my Mom had a 71 Opel Kadette wagon. It had the same front as the Rallys but of course was square in the back. We traded it in 76 on a 74 Mazda RX4 wagon. That car was brand new but had set on the dealer's lot for two years. No clue why. Anyway, someone like two streets over bought the Opel from the Mazda place and we saw that car for years. Then it was gone. It was a lovely pea green.

So Norm I hope the chinese guy gave you the money for the car first. Why was it funny to him that he was smashing the car he just bought?

Pizza today. Probably will come about 1230. Lunch is at 11.

Peace

Old April 5th, 2022, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
\ Then it was gone. It was a lovely pea green.
The pollen is making my OD jeep turn sort of Exorcist Pea Green I may drive it around in the rain

Old April 5th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Running On Empty

Fundamentally they did not attach a long enough vent/purge line hose to the gas tank. I mean seriously a simple 3” longer hose! That line needs to be long enough to reside BELOW the surface of the fuel to create a siphon for the carburetor to pull gas through the other line with the filter and into the carburetor. I don’t get it. People are paid not to think?
Old April 5th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Norm, All I can say is I'm glad they didn't work on your plumbing. It's important to know $hit runs down hill
Old April 5th, 2022, 01:47 PM

OK, I got a good one for ya'all! Today I received the safety recall I was expecting for our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. There's and issue with an electronic ABS switch shorting and starting an engine bay fire.

1st Sentence Reads:
This is an Important Safety Recall.
​​​​2nd & 3rd Sentences Read:
We are currently preparing the remedy. We will notify you when the remedy is ready..

WTF, how do you start a recall without a fix ready to go??? Hyundai collectively has $hit for brains!
Old April 5th, 2022, 01:54 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
OK, I got a good one for ya'all! Today I received the safety recall I was expecting for our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. There's and issue with an electronic ABS switch shorting and starting an engine bay fire.

1st Sentence Reads:
This is an Important Safety Recall.
​​​​2nd & 3rd Sentences Read:
We are currently preparing the remedy. We will notify you when the remedy is ready..

WTF, how do you start a recall without a fix ready to go??? Hyundai collectively has $hit for brains!
Hence their ad campaign with the Bonnie Tyler song, featuring the line, "Every now and then I fall apart."
Old April 5th, 2022, 02:39 PM

Chris, I got the same letter today. Of course I knew it was coming, now i'll just wait around like everyone else for the official recall.