The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2022, 03:07 AM

Well, Saw my "neighbor" Nick but no Norm
Old April 11th, 2022, 04:27 AM
Running On Empty

Tiger put 15 clubs in my bag - I was disqualified.
Old April 11th, 2022, 10:12 AM

Hi guys,

Been laying low and helping my wife with some of her projects. Yard work is in full swing here and is consuming some of my time. Other than that, not too much going on. No news on the medical front yet, that will come next week. Glad to read everyone else appears to be doing well!

For those of you who enjoy seeing my wife's refinished projects, here's a really nice piece she just finished a couple days ago. The writing on the inside of the drop down front of the desk reads, "Create the thing you wish existed". She certainly does that!

Old April 11th, 2022, 02:24 PM

a really nice piece she just finished a couple days ago.
Chris, pretty darn nice!
Old April 11th, 2022, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, pretty darn nice!
Dan - Thanks, I'll let her know. How's the weather been up there, I haven't talked to my sister in awhile. The weather has been crap here. We get one nice day and then 4 or 5 cold, wet days. We're at the start of 3-days of 45° and all day rain.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 11th, 2022 at 03:07 PM.
Old April 11th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

41/41

Chris - That Escritoire (secretary/writing desk) should sell in a heartbeat....nice.
Old April 11th, 2022, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
41/41

Chris - That Escritoire (secretary/writing desk) should sell in a heartbeat....nice.
Norm - I had never heard the term "Escritorie " before, I always referred to that type of piece as a Secretary, which you also referenced. Thanks for the compliment, I will let my wife know you liked it. I like it too, alot. I would have liked to have her strip and stain it in a natural color and use it as a computer workstation for myself, but we have no room for it.
Old April 11th, 2022, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

The escritoire would make a fine compliment to the armoire.
Old April 11th, 2022, 05:13 PM

The escritoire would make a fine compliment to the armoire.
Or, you could combine the two into one piece! This beauty is squirreled away in a spare bedroom where my cardio machine is set up. I use it to store car and motorcycle documents, my laptop, CD's, and detachable motorcycle accessories.

Old April 11th, 2022, 05:36 PM
Running On Empty

I saw another Egg Noodle driver w/ a Schoodle between his legs (occupying the empty space between himself & the steering wheel). Of course, he was petting his Schnoodle attempting to drive w/ one hand on the wheel.

Old April 11th, 2022, 05:39 PM

Chris, painted wood is not my style, but she does do it very well.

I've got a secretary 3 feet from me right now, once I clean the room up and break out the furniture polish, I'll grab a picture.
Old April 11th, 2022, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, painted wood is not my style, but she does do it very well.

I've got a secretary 3 feet from me right now, once I clean the room up and break out the furniture polish, I'll grab a picture.
John - I agree 100%, painted wood is not my style either. The painted stuff is what's selling these days though, although there's no accounting for taste. To go along with her skills in refinishing, my wife does a good job of doing market research, knowing what sells and what doesn't, and what things are going for. The solid golden oak computer armoire I posted above is my style. I don't really have a need for it anymore though since I quit buying desktop computers, now I will only buy laptops. I prefer naturally colored golden oak, red oak, and cherry woods myself.
Old April 11th, 2022, 05:59 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Just got back from the first cruise in of the year at Summit Racing. Was a pretty good turnout. A couple nice cars, a 55 Cadillac, a 50-something Mercury sled, No Oldsmobiles. Pretty evening.

Work was okay, but long. We struggled to get 132 wheels done, and tomorrow is going to be 150. The big industrial washer was broke most of the day, and it probably will be again tomorrow. But we can't afford to get a new one, so we just lose production trying to band aid this one back together. Repeatedly.

Overtime in the morning but I probably won't get to bed much before 10, so I'm not going to go in. A couple years ago I worked every minute of overtime I could, and in the end it didn't really seem like all that much extra.

Jamesbo I don't remember what was on my list. The sand blaster. Tomato cages. The trailer that I'm not getting now. Maybe a few 15" wheels because you have a few dozen. I don't remember what I was going to do with the tomato cages.

Okay bed. The pressure is off, Monday is over. We might be working Friday after all, the lead will tell us tomorrow. He said we can't afford to take an extra day off this week, so we will either work Friday and use that as a floating holiday later, or be off Friday and work Saturday. I don't care either way, but I am going to take Monday off so I get my long weekend.

Peace

Old April 11th, 2022, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
A couple years ago I worked every minute of overtime I could, and in the end it didn't really seem like all that much extra.
That reminded me of a story my brother-in-law related about a coworker logging as much OT as he could. Then at the end of the year his wages after taxes was barely more than everyone else due to being bumped into a higher tax bracket. They all laughed at him for the hours he donated to the company.
Old April 12th, 2022, 01:58 AM

Mike,

Houston We have a problem

The Sand blaster is in the mountain , The tomato cages are at the farm/cemetery. I have 12 !4" wheels and no more 15" wheels. I put the last set on the drop top this year

But I'm fairly certain there's some more junk you can't live without
Old April 12th, 2022, 02:55 AM
Running On Empty

Jim (Fred G. Sanford) & Mike (Lamont Sanford) at it again....

9:30AM tee-time with my new-to-me (this year) Geezer Pleezer group - Tidewater Carolina Seniors Golf Association @ USMC Camp LeJeune - 80 swinging dicks stroking their shafts whacking their *****. I ain't right in the head.
Old April 12th, 2022, 03:09 AM

Norm, Be proud. Old age is a privilege not all of us are fortunate enough to receive

Keep 'em where the mowers go
Old April 12th, 2022, 06:52 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Slow morning here at the Wheel and Brake shop. The lead is still holding onto the story that we have too many wheels, yet we sit here idle because there are no wheels. I could get up and go look for myself, but I really don't care. I'm going to be here regardless.

Jamesbo I thought of another thing. The white plastic water tank. If you don't want those 14" rims I'll find a use for them.

So I find myself in need of a lawn mower. Like everyone, I thought about a zero turn. They are pretty pricey. I could look at used ones, they are probably about the same as a new regular lawn tractor. One thing I know is I'm tired of pushing an acre of grass.

So it's time to start jonesing for a convertible. I think I will just drive the hell out of the Mercedes. I don't like that car but it's such a piece of junk I don't think I could sell it. It runs like a champ, though.

This is going to be a long day I'm afraid. Might be time to take a couple days off.

Peace

Old April 12th, 2022, 07:57 AM
Jeff

Mike, I view lawn mowers the same way I do boats and campers. Never buy new. You can pick up a decent rider with a 46" cut (or more) for $200-$300.

I am hoping I will be selling these two turds this year. Don't buy a Yard Bug. I made the mistake of buying the red Craftsman years ago, and my brother-in-law gave me the Cub Cadet last fall because he was tired of messing with it. It was going to be a parts mower for me, but I found a junkyard to resurrect them both. I'm being gifted a fairly new rider that is NOT one of these.

Old April 12th, 2022, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

41/42
I played this (new-to-me) course today w/ a higher Course Rating & greater Slope than my course (>500 yds. longer). Anytime I can play a tougher course for the first time and shoot those numbers I'll take it. Tee-time tomorrow 8:30am.
Old April 12th, 2022, 04:47 PM

Chris, my weather hasn't been much different than yours, a lot of wet cool weather with one or two warm days thrown in just for a tease. It was pleasant today (mid 60's), but storms tomorrow and a high in the upper 30's, maybe 40 for Sat. Easter will be in the upper 40's. Come on spring!
Old April 12th, 2022, 04:49 PM

This looks tempting:
Old April 12th, 2022, 05:13 PM
Always room for one more

Jeff no way would I get one of those! I have to wonder, what is it that makes it a piece of junk? The body? I mean it has a motor like any other and a cutting deck and wheels, does the thing fall apart or something?

Dan I wonder what it would cost to operate those planes if everyone who signed up got to take a ride. Charge whatever amount. They must think they will get enough people to buy the ticket to pay for one ride and put some money toward their charity.

We finished up work after 2. No word what we're doing this weekend yet. I think I'll tell the lead I'm going to take both days off regardless since his way leaves no way to make plans for the holiday.

Bed time.

Old April 12th, 2022, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
This looks tempting:
Dan - That would be one hell of a bucket list item to win!
Old April 12th, 2022, 06:03 PM

Chris, I too am a fan of natural wood furniture but I must say, your bride makes some lovely pieces

Mike, Now you have my curiosity up. WTH are you going to do with tomato cages and a water barrel?
Old April 12th, 2022, 06:22 PM
Running On Empty

Tomato cages & water barrels paint images of ancient torture practices e.g. Deer Hunter comes to mind, Vietnam in general comes to mind & the scene with Kevin Costner (Water World) to name several. Mike have a hidden agenda?
Old April 12th, 2022, 06:24 PM
Running On Empty

Oh wait - doh! Mikes heading over Niagara Falls?
Old April 12th, 2022, 08:09 PM

41/42
I played this (new-to-me) course today w/ a higher Course Rating & greater Slope than my course (>500 yds. longer). Anytime I can play a tougher course for the first time and shoot those numbers I'll take it. Tee-time tomorrow 8:30am.
Norm - Nice shootin' for being on a new and more difficult course!
Old April 12th, 2022, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I too am a fan of natural wood furniture but I must say, your bride makes some lovely pieces
Jim - Thanks very much for the compliment on her work, I just let her know! She just finished up this table this evening. Guess you would call it an entry foyer display table or a behind the couch accent table. The cast iron legs are off of an old foot pedal mechanical Singer sewing machine. Top finish is made to look like distressed, faded barn wood.

Old April 13th, 2022, 03:04 AM

Oh wait - doh! Mikes heading over Niagara Falls?
Norm, You guessed it

We're putting Mike in a water barrel and using a sand blaster to shoot him over Niagara Falls Only problem is it close to 1000 miles away

Actually, We are gonna meet John [Olds friend from the "Big Easy" that has a house in the mountains] to eat some meat and 3 [most likely meat and 8] at the Dillard House in Dillard, Ga and since it's so hard for us to get together Mike is gonna [hopefully] swing by my house in the mountains and take home some stuff I don't need/want any more. I may drive the Vista Cruiser up there. Mike maybe getting the shakes from car purchasers with drawls . He hasn't bought a car in several weeks

Chris [ and others that like to chow down[ you'd like this place Good Grub

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...08Qoip6BAhQEAM
Old April 13th, 2022, 03:09 AM

Got Olds fired up and out of barn yesterday, Great!! As I've said before, nothing like the exhaust burble of a Olds 350 with stock duals. Started to replace aftermarket coolant overflow tank with a factory type- fun to work on my buddy (Olds) again... Oh speaking of Buddy (dog) he is a real pleasure, he learns great. Wife is doing great also, she went with me on a all day trip to the greater Detroit area to pick up some split rail fence off Facebook Marketplace. It was a long drive but she did great, It was a nice sunny day. Like is good! Springtime in the air, though sposta get cold again for rest of week. I caused it for sure, I took plow off truck couple days ago!
Old April 13th, 2022, 04:03 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - The Dillard House get together sounds like a pleasant time. When are you getting together?
Greg - Glad to hear your wife is doing well. Trading in the plow for the '71 Cutlass Convertible is the correct decision.

Tee-time @8:30am.
Old April 13th, 2022, 06:49 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Break in the action. Has been a pretty steady day so far. The clowns who are working neither Friday nor Saturday are wanting everyone to do extra today so we get out earlier tomorrow. I read that as the rest of us work extra so they get out but don't work extra.

Jamesbo the white water thing is so I can have water at my shop. I don't remember why I wanted the tomato cages. Hm, lessee the sand blaster is so I can blast big things that won't fit in the machine at work, and the 14" rims are to put on cars. Oh and you're going to show me some shiplap siding because I've never seen any up close.

Norm I can't fathom why someone would want to try going over Niagra Falls. Unless it's just to get your name in the history books. It will get your *** in jail if you survive. I know several people have attempted and survived, but I couldn't tell you any of their names. So much for notoriety.

Got some mowing to do after work. Supposed to be nice today and then rain tonight late.

Peace

Old April 13th, 2022, 06:56 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jeff no way would I get one of those! I have to wonder, what is it that makes it a piece of junk? The body? I mean it has a motor like any other and a cutting deck and wheels, does the thing fall apart or something?
The curved body makes it difficult to work on the engine, specifically to get to the carb and air filter. Taking off the panel to get to the carb requires removing and/or loosening no less than 12 bolts holding on other body panels. Also, it likes to puke drive belts. And the front wheels are poorly designed. And they had the battery terminal located next to the throttle cable (which slipped out of place, causing the vibration of it to rub thru the insulation on the hot wire, almost causing me to burn my ***).

Here is how I really feel about Yard Bugs:

Old April 13th, 2022, 07:15 AM

Was this one of you guys in Bryson City last august?

Last edited by mattking; April 13th, 2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old April 13th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris [ and others that like to chow down[ you'd like this place Good Grub
Jim - The pic of the food at the Dillard House with the big honking piece of Prime Rib in the pic looks incredible. I love Prime Rib!

That table my wife finished last night, and I posted pics of, sold in 3-hours, it's going to a new home today. I had mentioned the legs were from an old Singer sewing machine, but failed to mention the top and lower table surfaces were ripped from old table leaves that were excess from past projects, so the entire project was a totally fabricated piece of her own design.
Old April 13th, 2022, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Got Olds fired up and out of barn yesterday, Great!! As I've said before, nothing like the exhaust burble of a Olds 350 with stock duals. Started to replace aftermarket coolant overflow tank with a factory type- fun to work on my buddy (Olds) again... Oh speaking of Buddy (dog) he is a real pleasure, he learns great. Wife is doing great also, she went with me on a all day trip to the greater Detroit area to pick up some split rail fence off Facebook Marketplace.
Greg - Glad your wife is up and doing well, and you guys are out enjoying life again. I agree,, it certainly is enjoyable when we can get our classic cars out again!
Old April 13th, 2022, 10:25 AM

Jeff, I agree with your woes. I have a Troy Bilt Pony given to me used some 6 years back. It is a good mower without being exceptional. I have learned how to use it well. I have replaced the battery on it so far. Burns about a half gallon of gas per acre.

Matt, not me, my 442 is grey and a heap.
Old April 13th, 2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by mattking
Was this one of you guys in Bryson City last august?
Matt - Not me, my '67 is a 4-4-2 and Aquamarine. That looks to be a Cutlass Supreme without the 4-4-2 option.
Old April 13th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Dang, I was hoping for a Niagra falls adventure, guess I'll leave the camera where it is. The Dillard House looks pretty cool, and the food! Damn, now I'm hungry. Greg, it was a nice day yesterday, but now, back to a sh!tty spring.