The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2022, 02:37 PM

Speaking of our pups, sometime within the last couple days Buddy dropped a load up in the upstairs hallway. We don't go up there much- anyway I saw the pile and called him up. He came up the stairs all crouched down looking like he was walking into the gates of hell. Then when he got a couple feet from the crime he laid down on his back and put his paws in front of his eyes as if to say " please don't beat me I'm so sorry...." Wow, he has never been beat or even slapped. I did give him a pat and scolded him. He looked so funny and terrified I couldn't hardly keep from laughing. Oh he remembers. He still doesn't ask to go out . Well He is getting there. He's such a pleasure....
Old November 29th, 2022, 02:42 PM

My 401K (stock) investment portfolio is like watching a roller coaster from hell.
Ain't that the truth! I was asked by a retiring co worker, how long before you go? I said I had a date awhile back, but with the hit my 401k took this year, I don't know.
Old November 29th, 2022, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I've never had a puppy that small. I'm always sad that I never got to see any of my dogs as baby puppies. I'm pretty certain that Tiger is the one who sat in the food.
Mike - Tiger is a beautiful dog, and just because you didn't know them when they were pups doesn't make ya love them any less. For what it's worth, I think Tiger hit the Daddy jackpot when he found you!
Old November 29th, 2022, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Ain't that the truth! I was asked by a retiring co worker, how long before you go? I said I had a date awhile back, but with the hit my 401k took this year, I don't know.
Dan - That's tough, I hope it comes back quick for all of us!
Old November 29th, 2022, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Lol, sorry, meant election.
Old November 29th, 2022, 02:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Lol, sorry, meant election.
That's funny because I thought there may have existed the notion you meant elections.
Old November 29th, 2022, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Speaking of our pups, sometime within the last couple days Buddy dropped a load up in the upstairs hallway. We don't go up there much- anyway I saw the pile and called him up. He came up the stairs all crouched down looking like he was walking into the gates of hell. Then when he got a couple feet from the crime he laid down on his back and put his paws in front of his eyes as if to say " please don't beat me I'm so sorry...." Wow, he has never been beat or even slapped. I did give him a pat and scolded him. He looked so funny and terrified I couldn't hardly keep from laughing. Oh he remembers. He still doesn't ask to go out . Well He is getting there. He's such a pleasure....
Greg - That is a hilarious story! I can just picture him begging for forgiveness! Ya gotta love it!

Monty will not bark when he wants to go out, he just goes to the door and sits in silence, so we have to pay attention to him. Maggie on the other hand goes to the door and will raise a ruckus until you let her out
Old November 29th, 2022, 03:05 PM

The mud pit will just have to be, because I don't have anything that big to put over it.
Mike, you can scatter grass seeds then rake the dirt / mud around to bury them. I did that in an area that the dogs decided to convert into a summertime dirt wallow and it was the first area to sprout grass and is now the thickest spot in the yard.
Old November 29th, 2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My 401K (stock) investment portfolio is like watching a roller coaster from hell.
You have a roller coaster, and I have a steady downward trend. It's amazing to see the chart - steadily increasing through 2020 and 2021, then suddenly in January 2022 an abrupt, steady decline.
Old November 29th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris that's nice of you to say. I'm the lucky one. Tiger has proven to be an exceptional dog. I've loved all my dogs to no end but he really has it together. My first dog, Max, was the same way. He is the benchmark to which all others are judged.

Greg, I'm the opposite. If Tiger goes in the house, I usually feel bad that I didn't provide -something- so that he didn't need to do that, and also I'm always afraid that he labored over that decision and was uncomfortable and sad that he had to do that.

Tomorrow is Hump Day already, and the last day of the month. December is going to be an odd month. Kinda wish it was just over already. I don't want to wish my life away, so I'll wish January goes extra slow.

Old November 29th, 2022, 04:58 PM

Hey guys - It's been awhile since I've started any kind of survey (sort of) like this but thought this might be fun and bring back some memories. I'm a Kellogg's product freak being from Battle Creek, my Mom working there for over 30-years, and having worked there myself for 3 summers during college. My Mom was allowed to bring home free cereal and other Kellogg's products when she worked there. I'd always love it when she'd bring home a bunch of Pop-Tarts, which I still like to this day, even have some in our pantry right now. However, Pop-Tarts were not my favorite. My favorite was a Deluxe Pop-Tart like toaster pastry called a Danish Go-Round, which were produced between 1968 - 1977. The great thing about Danish Go-Rounds was they were about 3-times as thick as a Pop-Tart and contained much more filling. They were absolutely delicious and I never understood why they stopped making them. Anyone else remember these? Here's a picture of the box and what they looked like. Besides what's shown in the advertisement, I know they also came in Blueberry and Cherry flavors, and maybe others I just don't remember.

Anyone else remember any food products you loved when you were young that were discontinued, but you could never understand why?
Old November 30th, 2022, 02:44 AM

Chris, When I was a pup my mother often bought the cereal assortment. If I remember correctly, ya didn't need a bowl, ya cut slots in the sides and filled the box up with milk.

My all-time favorite breakfast treat was this stuff haven thought about it in years. Sorry cant get a pic of Stoufers welsh Rarebit to load
Old November 30th, 2022, 03:42 AM

My wife has made up her mind about many processed foods way back, and one of them are Pop Tarts. Over the years I have always told her I love them and she would always go thru the "OH Yuck" tirade. Anyway the other day she bought me some as a joke, and they were forgotten in the pantry- UNTIL Just now as you have reminded me. I am going to make one or 2 right now!! I'll see if as good as I remember....
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:07 AM

Sorry Greg/Chris Not a fan of Pop tarts

Saw mill gravy is more to my taste
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:11 AM
Running On Empty

Weather iffy next four hours. Winds increasing as the cold front approaches. Slight chances of mist, drizzle, etc. until front arrives ~11am-12pm. Think I'll wave-off pasture pool this morning.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 30th, 2022 at 04:18 AM. Reason: sp
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain, and lots of it. Thunder and lightning even. It's supposed to go away this morning. Sounds like it's heading towards Norm.

There's lots of foods I like that no one else seems to. Chili on top of jelly crackers. Brown sugar on rice. Chocolate ice cream on apple pie. I get the usual turned up nose and I eat it anyway. When I was but a wee one I ate King Vitamin for breakfast. Also Quisp and Quake. Haven't seen these in decades.

My wall guy came in for overtime this morning but didn't give any of his wheels to the mechanic to sign off. He saved them all for me. So I had 8 wheels signed by 630. I know we'll be surpassed but it was nice being at the front of the pack early on.

One of these days I'll have something earth-shattering to report.

Have a good Hump Day everyone.

Old November 30th, 2022, 04:21 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Stoufers welsh Rarebit
Jim - Never heard of it.
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:23 AM

Norm try it its wonderful Wise choice of not playing today
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:26 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I found at least two articles which said the name on the 'original' box was Stouffer’s Welsh Rabbit but changed over the years. Say what?
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:29 AM
Running On Empty

Interesting history of the term Rarebit.

Welsh rarebit
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:32 AM

Norm, Yes I read the same thing. You know I wouldn't give you bad advice about food. Its really good, I just haven't thought of it in ages. Its on my grocery list now.
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:38 AM
Running On Empty

You know I wouldn't give you bad advice about food.
Jim - I didn't think there was a chance of that happening. I'd never heard of it and I never heard the term Rarebit for anything. Interesting etymology.
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:53 AM

I read it was a play on words. Like the Hunter didn't get the rabbit so the wife made rarebit
Old November 30th, 2022, 06:38 AM

Well, it looks like its discontinued/ Im on a mission. I make some from scratch I don't thin Colorado Kool aide [Coors] is going to be stout enough. Im gonna try sum Guinness
Old November 30th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Chris, When I was a pup my mother often bought the cereal assortment. If I remember correctly, ya didn't need a bowl, ya cut slots in the sides and filled the box up with milk.

My all-time favorite breakfast treat was this stuff haven thought about it in years. Sorry cant get a pic of Stoufers welsh Rarebit to load
Jim - The individual variety packs were a big favorite around our house too. And yep, you could cut a slit in the back and fill it with milk. That reminds me of something else. When I wax real young I remember still having a milkman with milk deliveries to the insulated metal box on our front porch.
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:07 AM
Always room for one more

We had a milk man well into the 70s. I never saw him, he came early in the morning. Mom would leave a list of what she wanted in the milk box and in the morning, magically, it would appear. Where I'm from originally, we had somewhat of a drive up grocery. It was called Mr. Fresh. You drove up and a person came out to the car, you told her what you wanted, she'd go get it and bring it to the car. I don't know why that was so thrilling for me but I loved going there.

Old November 30th, 2022, 07:14 AM

Well, it looks like its discontinued/ Im on a mission. I make some from scratch I don't thin Colorado Kool aide [Coors] is going to be stout enough. Im gonna try sum Guinness
Now that's the point that I was trying to get to, processed foods that were available and that you thought were very, very good in your youth, but have been discontinued. I have to admit I have never heard of Welsh Rarebit. The cheese on toast part sounds good, pretty much like an open toasted cheese sandwich, but I don't know about adding mustard and ale to the cheese sauce??? I'd try just about anything once.

Still no comments on whether any of you guys remember those Kellogg's Danish Go-Rounds and ever tried them?
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:19 AM

Chris sorry nope.but wee had a milk man and every kid had a Boxer SOP every morning was for the boxers to get out break the milk bottles and puke all over the front porch after licking up the milk
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:26 AM

Good morning everyone.

There's lots of foods I like that no one else seems to. Chili on top of jelly crackers. Brown sugar on rice. Chocolate ice cream on apple pie. I get the usual turned up nose and I eat it anyway. When I was but a wee one I ate King Vitamin for breakfast. Also Quisp and Quake. Haven't seen these in decades.
Mike - Can't say I would like all the stuff on your list of foods above, but I'm a huge fan of brown sugar and a little real butter mixed with white rice. Love the stuff!

I was also a big fan of hot breakfast cereals like Quaker Oats, Malt-o-Meal, and my favorite Cocoa Wheats.
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:30 AM
Always room for one more

Nix on the Danish go rounds. But they sound good. Never was a big fan of Pop Tarts. But my sister at them like they were going out of style. Funny how the seemingly better product didn't last but the other one did.

Old November 30th, 2022, 07:33 AM
Always room for one more

All those things I got from my Dad. When Mom makes chili she automatically puts jelly on the table and Ritz crackers. Same with the rice, she automatically puts brown sugar out. And she knows better than to make apple pie and not have chocolate ice cream...

I think Pop Tarts won out because it was easer to say.

Old November 30th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Chris sorry nope.but wee had a milk man and every kid had a Boxer SOP every morning was for the boxers to get out break the milk bottles and puke all over the front porch after licking up the milk
Jim - Were these Boxers (dogs?) yours, or did they belong to someone near you? We wouldn't have needed an SOP for that scenario around our home for very long, I can assure you. My Dad would have put a stop to that non-sense real quick, regardless of who the dogs belonged to.
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:47 AM

Yes, Every kid in the neighborhood had a boxer. Dad wasn't pleased either Husky [ my boxer would jump a fence in a heart beat so my dad chained him to a log. It was like doing isometrics hauling the log around the yard. He also was fond of dragging me around the yard. He got out once and got in a fight and showed up at the fire station. Dad said, Ya want him, hes yours He was a beautiful dog but my aunt gave him to me when i was too young for that strong of a dog.He more than once would grab me from my jeans cuff, pull me offf of my tricycle and drag me around the yard, Im sure he wasn't mean just bored
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:54 AM

I think Pop Tarts won out because it was easer to say.
Mike - I wouldn't doubt that was part of it. I'm sure price was part of the equation too. Because they were larger and contained more filling they cost more. I don't know how much more because I was young, and like I said, what we had in the house was whatever my Mom could bring home from work for free. We were lucky we never had to pay for any Kellogg's breakfast products. The only downside was us kids had no control of what Mom was able to bring home. She'd try to get her hands on cereals or other stuff she knew we liked like Pop-Tarts, but that wasn't always the case. She'd always make us eat all of what she'd bring home before she'd get more. I remember choking down bowls of Raisan Bran even though I hated the stuff, it was definitely eat what's put in front of you or go hungry.
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:55 AM
Running On Empty

We had a milk man well into the 70s. I never saw him, he came early in the morning. Mom would leave a list of what she wanted in the milk box and in the morning, magically, it would appear. Where I'm from originally, we had somewhat of a drive up grocery. It was called Mr. Fresh. You drove up and a person came out to the car, you told her what you wanted, she'd go get it and bring it to the car. I don't know why that was so thrilling for me but I loved going there.
^x2^
Mike - Maybe we grew up close to each other?
You speak Zamboni?
Old November 30th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Running On Empty

I was born (9/30/1952) on the South Side of Chicago (22nd and Pulaski - near Cicero, IL). Large Bohemian, Polish, German neighborhoods - lots of local 'taverns' & delis (then). We resided in Chicago until I was five years old.
I was young but I still remember our 'pink' stand-up ice-box (looked like a refrigerator but wasn't). We lived in an apartment on the second floor of a local (all brick) apartment building - Dad worked downtown for Illinois Bell Telephone Co. (AT&T). I remember watching the ice-man walk up the stairs lugging one or two large chunks of ice & tossing them in the ice-box. Hell, I had no idea what was going on; yet, I remember those days - and, of course the milkman, drive-up groceries, etc. Great times growing up for me.

Funny story in that apartment. I have a brother two years younger than me. We got stuck behind the oven/stove - actually inside/underneath the stove if you will. Crawled alongside the wall and crawled in/behind the stove. Then, yep - we couldn't get out - thought we were so cool we did. Mom had a conniption - didn't know what to do. Can't recall if Tom (brother) & I were crying or what; but, Mom called the fire department. They arrived, pulled the oven/stove from the wall (it was too heavy for Mom to move on her own - middle of the day) & we were "freed".
Old November 30th, 2022, 08:14 AM
Always room for one more

Because, Chris, if you throw away what the company gives you for free then you obviously don't appreciate it and the privilege ceases. Can't be wasting resources! I agree on the Raisin Bran. I usually get a box just after I forget how much I don't like it.

Jamesbo I hope you weren't traumatized by the dog pulling you off the tricycle, because that conjures up a pretty funny picture.

Lunch.

Old November 30th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I'm actually from Moline but grew up in Park Forest, 211th Street and Kedzie. Lived in Park Forest from 1971 to 1997.

I went to pick up my dogs at the vet once and the woman said I had a Chicago accent. I said, we don't have an accent. She said, that's what my husband says, he's from Evergreen Park. I said oh, that's about 95th and Kedzie. She said, everyone knows all the streets up there. Hm.

Old November 30th, 2022, 08:25 AM

Yes, Every kid in the neighborhood had a boxer. . .
He more than once would grab me from my jeans cuff, pull me offf of my tricycle and drag me around the yard, Im sure he wasn't mean just bored
Jim - That's pretty wild there were numerous boxers in your childhood neighborhood, they're not all that common. I'm sure you're right about Husky, not mean, just bored.. Boxers are a very high energy breed and need lots or exercise, you just happened to be a convenient play toy for him.
Old November 30th, 2022, 08:32 AM

Because, Chris, if you throw away what the company gives you for free then you obviously don't appreciate it and the privilege ceases. Can't be wasting resources!
Exactly!!!