The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Good to see that they are coming up with a vaccine for RSV. My brother and his wife had it a month ago, and my brother said it was very rough. Both he and his wife are 70. When they were at the Dr.s office they were told that there was nothing they could do but take OTC meds. John, I was wondering how much that storm was going to affect you. it was the same system that went south of me, and petered out. The snowfall amounts were far less then what they called for. I got zero snow.
Old March 4th, 2023, 12:31 PM

I should've taken a picture of that ditch. Road was under tan water moving fast for 50 yards of roadway. Reminds me of bad decisions on hunting property in the Florida swamps growing up.
Old March 4th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day here, and it was warmer than 40 this morning. Went to Awful house and had a good time, then went over to my airport and talked for awhile.

Changed oil in the pickup today. That's about all I got done. My filter wrench was at Mom's so I fired up the Imperial and fetched it. And had lunch while I was there. Then stopped at my neighbor's to show him my car and talked for a bit.

I always seem to make a big mess when I change oil. Today was no different. And I don't know why I thought I could wash oil off the driveway with the garden hose. That made a different, and just as big mess. I guess I'll get some acetone and a scrub brush and clean it off that way.

Gotta take Mom to Publix tonight for some prescriptions. Then I might head home early and work on the laundry room some more. I'm all excited now that the new washer and dryer are there and the clothes will actually dry in the dryer. A novelty.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old March 4th, 2023, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

I always seem to make a big mess when I change oil. Today was no different. And I don't know why I thought I could wash oil off the driveway with the garden hose. That made a different, and just as big mess. I guess I'll get some acetone and a scrub brush and clean it off that way.
Mike - Sounds like you had a pretty good day! I've made my share of messes changing oil too! I have to ride my motorcycles up onto 2" x 10" boards, one for the front tire and one in the back, in order to have enough clearance under it for an oil pan in the middle. One time, I had finished the oil change and was ready to back it off of the boards, only one problem, I forgot to pull the oil pan out of the middle. The front tire backed over the oil pan and oil went frickin everywhere! What a mess to clean up, on the floor and the bike!
Old March 4th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

I'm all excited now that the new washer and dryer are there and the clothes will actually dry in the dryer. A novelty.
Living the dream, Mike...living the dream.
Old March 5th, 2023, 03:26 AM

Norm, Maybe a few empty 5 gal buckets
filled with supplies and or tools and rope tied to each handle would save you a few trips up and down. Just carry the rope up and hoist buckets as needed.
Old March 5th, 2023, 03:44 AM
Running On Empty

Ray - Excellent suggestion. If I had three vertical tiers of scaffold that's what I'd do. Most time is spent moving boards up/down to adjust standing platform height, washing paint brushes & changing paints. I use pressure treated 2"x12"x7' planks for standing/working platform. Most of the time when I refer to up/down, up/down, up/down I'm referring to shifting the planks up/down to accommodate a working platform. Good to hear from you. Hope things at your place in Florida are returning to some resemblance of normalcy.
Old March 5th, 2023, 04:56 AM

Had sister and BIL over last night, went to bar for dinner, then 4 neighbors came over. 8 of us played Skyjo, a new to us card game. The drinks did flow, but no blood a was spilled, I guess... Yuk, my head is large today....
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:24 AM

Cut grass 1st time yesterday along the road only.
Old March 5th, 2023, 07:17 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Hard to believe we’re cutting grass already.
Old March 5th, 2023, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Cut grass 1st time yesterday along the road only.
Jim - That ain't hard to believe as warm as it's been here lately. Grass is growing, trees are budding out, Day Lillies have poked their heads up. Supposed to be 70° here today and 75° tomorrow, then turning cooler again Tuesday, but not cold.
Old March 5th, 2023, 03:48 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day here. Did the usual Walmart run and tinkered a little bit on the blue van. Gonna be nice through Tuesday.

Greg how is the BIL doing? You need to drink water before you go to bed.

Gotta get my accident report tomorrow after work then go find an agent and get things going. I had the car over at Mom's last night, and I tell you driving home was a challenge. The left headlight is broken and the right headlight cover is dull as can be. I bought some of that polish that Chris talked about but never have used it. And that right there is going to suck. I know they will replace the broken cover but not the other one, so like on the dogmobile, one will be clear and one will be dull.

Norm the simple things get me excited these days. I don't mind.

Okay hope everyone has a good evening.

Old March 5th, 2023, 03:53 PM

°67 when I went out at 4:00 to get some takeout for dinner. Took advantage of the nice weather to get out to the garage to do the Spring oil/filter change and front end lube on the 4-4-2. No issues, and I took it out for a spin just around the neighborhood a few times. Lots of folks out doing yard work and got several thumbs up from neighbors as I was cruising around.

It's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow with a projected high of 75°. I have a couple of places in the trunk of the 4-4-2 where the blue/black GM spatter paint has flaked off. Tomorrow I'm going to scrape those areas bare and treat them with the type of flat black Rustoleum that converts any rust into a compound that hardens and won't rust anymore. These places are out of sight in the summer when the OEM style vinyl trunk mat is in there. Probably won't bother to put more GM spatter paint down since it is out of sight anyway.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day!
Old March 5th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Mike - I hope all goes well with getting the accident report and the insurance coverage!
Old March 5th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Running On Empty

Old March 5th, 2023, 04:48 PM

Aaaaa, stuck in my driveway In the ranch F150(street tread)on the way home from Chico. Should come out with a little digging, but that will be tomorrow as I'm pooped from a bunch of digging out this morning so I could go to town...... Is it spring yet!...Tedd
Old March 5th, 2023, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I went out at 4:00 to get some takeout for dinner.
Wow. And I thought all those jokes about retirees hitting the dinner buffet at 4pm were just that - jokes.
Old March 5th, 2023, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow. And I thought all those jokes about retirees hitting the dinner buffet at 4pm were just that - jokes.
Oh, much worse than hitting the buffet, got White Castle! I'll pay for it later, but sure tasted good at the time!
Old March 5th, 2023, 05:50 PM

Norm - The dessert sure looks good! Shortcake under all the whipped cream and blueberries???
Old March 5th, 2023, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Oh, much worse than hitting the buffet, got White Castle! I'll pay for it later, but sure tasted good at the time!
I made the most low effort dinner tonight. Browned 2 lbs deer burger, threw in a can of Manwich. Served, threw cheese slices on top, and had some bag salad. Done. I have leftovers, too.
Old March 6th, 2023, 02:48 AM

Norma- gotcha. Damn, you have a good memory. Slowly getting back to normal is a good description of things down here. blue tarps are getting replaced with new shingles.
I can't believe how agile you are. Golf must have something to do with it.....
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:16 AM
Running On Empty

Ray - Lots of roofing work available for years to come - most likely not enough roofers for all the work. I did reside in Florida for ~5 years (late 1980s) and there really are lots of roofers in that state - should be able to find work for all of them. When we were hit with a major hurricane two years in a row (back-to-back) on the North Carolina coast, folks were still waiting two & three years for a new roof.
Old March 6th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Great start to the week. First off my wall guy is slow as hell. Second the operating system for the computers that signs off the wheels has slowed to backwards. Yes backwards. Besides taking 3-4 minutes between screens(it should be seconds) more than once it's taken 5 1/2 minutes and then booted me out. Then I have to start over.

Gonna be nice through Wednesday. Got a few things I can do outside, I could probably start mowing any time.

Chris I think your noise is coming from the missing spatter paint.

Well gosh I think I have time for a nap. Happy Monday everyone. Have a great day.

Old March 6th, 2023, 07:02 AM

Good morning everyone.
Chris I think your noise is coming from the missing spatter paint.
That must be it, I'm missing at least 1/64-inch of sound deadener where the paint has flaked off. I'm sure when it is painted over the noise will be gone!

Seriously, hope the computer woes get corrected and the rest of your day goes better!
Old March 6th, 2023, 01:57 PM

Norm / Chris and any other of you Indian Bike/Trike fans check this out, way cool in my opinion.

https://madison.craigslist.org/mpo/d...596441660.html
Old March 6th, 2023, 02:07 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Absolutely gorgeous day here, sunny and 75° at 4pm. Got out fairly early to the garage to prep and paint the few areas in the 4-4-2 trunk that were flaking off. Scraped and wire brushed the trouble areas and then wiped them off good. Then shot them with Rustoleum flat black Rust Reformer. Since these areas are out of sight under the OEM style vinyl trunk mat in the Summer, I'm not going to bother reshooting them with the correct AC Delco Black/Aqua spatter paint right now. The trunk mats (2 pieces) are still out for the Winter because I know they collect moisture underneath, especially over the Winter as temps go up/down drastically. That's about the extent of my excitement for the day!

Hope ya'll had a good day!
Old March 6th, 2023, 02:14 PM

Otto, I love the trike, though it looks weird with the engine mounted upright like that. Got my taxes done, getting a refund from the feds and state, and then half of that will go to pay my city taxes as my employer doesn't have them taken out of my pay.
Old March 6th, 2023, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Norm / Chris and any other of you Indian Bike/Trike fans check this out, way cool in my opinion.
https://madison.craigslist.org/mpo/d...596441660.html
Keith - That is very cool! I don't think I can remember seeing an Indian single cylinder engine that looks like that. Thanks for sharing!
Old March 6th, 2023, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Down home cook'n tonight fellers - w/ brown sugar glazed carrots....don't let your meat loaf.

Old March 6th, 2023, 03:25 PM
Always room for one more

Well this was one of those days I should have stayed home. It was a race to see who was slower, my wall guy or the computer. After work I went to get my accident report. No trouble there, but traffic was building going back home, so I thought, I'll go the other way and take the expressway home, since the insurance guy I wanted to go to was just off the exit anyway. Forty minutes later I was on the expressway going 30. Took me almost an hour to get to the insurance place and of course he was closed. It probably would have been 10 or 15 minutes going back the other way. I'm not too bright sometimes.

That is a really neat looking bike. I thought Servi Car was a Harley name. Maybe not. Used a lot by meter maids.

Speaking of taxes, I finally have everything I need to file. Gotta start that soon. Arduous.

Well I'm beat. I may forego MASH and just head home. A little extra sleep won't hurt.

Old March 6th, 2023, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief

Norm - Everything looks delicious except for the creamed corn, I've never been a big fan of that. We're having Pork Chops, Cracker Barrel White Cheddar Mac & Cheese, and green beans.
Old March 6th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Keith - Thanks for sharing the image. I've seen several over the years. It's priced about right. It is not an Indian motorcycle since there was no Indian motorcycle company in 1959 (they went bankrupt 1953). There were several companies in the U.S.A. and more in England who branded motorcycles as Indian motorcycles. They could of course legally sell these since no one owned the patent/copyright to Indian Motorcycle.

I'm not 100% if the engine is a 1953 four-stroke vertical OHC side-valve single cylinder Indian motorcycle engine, it appears it could be; yet, it also resembles the Royal-Enfield 250cc engine (England). Royal-Enfield (who made excellent motorcycles of their own) began branding their own motorcycle as Indian motorcycles from the period 1955-1960, marketing them in the U.S.A selling them through Indian dealerships. Yes, there were in fact Indian dealerships in the U.S.A. Most of them were leftover Indian dealerships prior to 1953. The image in the CL advertisement is a Royal-Enfield fuel tank badged as an Indian. Can't really state anything wrong with the CL listed 1959 servi car, but can't state anything correct about it since Indian motorcycle did not make any motorcycles in 1959. Indian motorcycle did make servi cars as well as military servi cars but I know of none which featured a four-stroke side-valve single cylinder engine - they were all four stroke twins (that I'm aware of).

Here's an image (below) of a Royal-Enfield 'Patrol Car' - you can call it whatever you like and they did back then. The servi (patrol) cars produced by Royal-Enfield were one step above 'junk' grade. Pretty sure Royal-Enfield was trying to compete w/ H-D in the patrol (servi) cars in the U.S.A. since H-D did have their own servi (patrol) cars. Branded as an Indian motorcycle Royal-Enfield hoped to gain some market share (they didn't). Many were referred to as a motorized rickshaw.

Old March 6th, 2023, 04:56 PM
Running On Empty

For comparison...

Old March 6th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Running On Empty

Not that it makes any difference, but note the Indian War Bonnet on the front fender in the CL listing. That particular War Bonnet is a 2003-2011 Indian War Bonnet.
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:17 PM

Thanks Norm-
Good information. I will have an HD trike in the shop in the near future, just keeping an eye for one that is not made of gold and fair priced.
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - We've both seen many trikes; but, I'll have to say if I had some stupid $$ laying about, the Indian (Polaris) Slingshot is by far the absolute best three-wheeler there is bar none, hands down, IMO. What a machine.

Old March 6th, 2023, 05:42 PM

This is one I had an eye on.
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:48 PM
Running On Empty

Nice. I'm not up on trikes. Owned a couple H-D Sportsters in the '70s. Is that a S&S T143 mounted on that trike?
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:58 PM

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/h-d/harley_davidson_FLRT Freewheeler 15.htm

I have always liked riding my quad and snowmobiles at a slow pace and not as fast as I can get from point a to b. I thought having something like this on the back roads would be easy to look around while cruising not having to put the feet down when stopping

Last edited by otto72; March 6th, 2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old March 6th, 2023, 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

The twin cam 103. I remember when it debuted.