The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2023, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, that band of ice is coming right along the I-69 corridor, so that means I'm directly in the path. Decided to work from home today as a result.
Jeff - Smart man staying off the roads and away from that crap!
Old February 22nd, 2023, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Mike - I recently saw a nice one around that year, but I can't remember which site or how much they were asking for it. I will peruse some of the sites today and if I find it I will post the link for you.
Mike - I found it. 1995 Chevy Impala SS; 5.7L; 4-sd Auto; low mileage; extremely clean; maroon with white interior; lots of documentation and service records; think you would be hard pressed to find one much nicer? Located near your old stompin grounds, Chicago area. Asking $24,900, but they might come down some?
https://www.nsclassics.com/used-vehi...-video-c-5349/

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 22nd, 2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

40/37

Back to the scaffolding...up/down, up/down, up/down, up..............................
Old February 22nd, 2023, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
...band of ice is coming right along the I-69 corridor, so that means I'm directly in the path. Decided to work from home today as a result.
Snow I love...ice I don't like (at all).
Old February 22nd, 2023, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
40/37

Back to the scaffolding...up/down, up/down, up/down, up..............................
Great round Norm! Looks like you're in the groove already this season!
Old February 22nd, 2023, 11:37 AM

We are getting walloped with a storm front. Very strong sustained winds (30+ MPH here in town) and up the hill there were wind gusts as high as 88 MPH! Rain here in the low lands and snow up the hill. And after this passes, another storm front is supposed to hit us on Sunday.

And I thought winter was over already.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
We are getting walloped with a storm front. Very strong sustained winds (30+ MPH here in town) and up the hill there were wind gusts as high as 88 MPH! Rain here in the low lands and snow up the hill. And after this passes, another storm front is supposed to hit us on Sunday.

And I thought winter was over already.
Seems like the whole U.S. is getting it today! $hit's about to hit the fan here right now. It's that same large front taking the bad weather all the way up through the Midwest.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 12:39 PM

Warm and windy here. I have the windows open before I go in for night shift. Supposed to rain.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Well this is a surprise to me, we are doing 5S things today.
Oh Mike, you gotta watch these cartoons about Trustus Pharmaceuticals implementing 5S. One is not safe for work, and neither are safe for management to see you watching (or hear).

Not another 5S Friday!

5S Friday
Old February 22nd, 2023, 01:15 PM

Coming from the company that invented the damn thing, I have a few observations:

1. It used to be Four S. The sustain is bullshit made by some HR dweeb who probably got made a vice president for that particular piece of uselessness.

2. The problem with 5S is they get people cleaning, and they throw **** away that they think is useless. The problem is, some line worker hypothetically just tossed a pallet of 100 grand worth of testing jigs that need to be used next weekend before the vehicle trial, and they have a six month lead time. The line worker is functioning at the limits of his intelligence, and that's ok, but his supervisor should be smart enough to say "hey, wait, if you personally don't know what something is, and that is it waster, then you don't touch it." We've run into situations where we excessively label things, they pull the labels off, and pitch it. We took pictures of it before hand and I was adamant I wanted heads on platters, but we had to settle for my department abandoning that shop to their just deserves.

3. This is all due to non-technical people advancing in leadership. The shops are run with many technical and non-technical managers, and one technical senior manager and one non-technical senior manager. However, any senior manager can be an assistant general manager by promotion, and you can end up with a non-tech person over a tech person, and that **** has to end. My job should not require the patience of Job to have to explain something not only perfectly understandable, but readily obvious to anyone with half a brain, yet the executives all came up through the path that only requires a quarter of a brain and deal with them making the job 1000% harder than it has to be because of their completely unnecessary "good" ideas.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:10 PM

Regarding #2 above, that has happened here oh so many times. Management assigns people to clean an area and those people do not work in the area and have no clue what is important and what is not, so they throw things away, only for the people who actually work in that area to discover some time later that an important item is no longer around. There is a well-known military term for this.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:41 PM
Always room for one more

Those videos are hilarious. All 5S is, is someone getting paid to tell us what to do, and tell us it's for our own good. The guy told us yesterday, we need to embrace this so our shop will get better. Well, no one knew it was broke. They gave us red dots and tags and told us to put them on things that weren't necessary. My suggestion was to red tag the group that was pushing this on us. Toyota invented this? They should have kept it to themselves.

What a glorious day. Took the Imperial to the tag office to get it registered, then went to find a gas station to fill it with non-ethanol fuel. What a delight to drive. Lots of thumbs up. Now to replace the 18 year old tires and I can really do some driving.

Supposed to get a washer and dryer delivered tomorrow. They got the old address on file and never asked if that's where I wanted them delivered. I've called twice and they still list the old house. I told Mom to tell them where to go when they come over tomorrow. Oddly enough, she probably will...

Old February 22nd, 2023, 03:49 PM

Mike - Did you see my post about the nice '95 Impala SS, I found it and posted a link for you?
Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:20 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Great round Norm! Looks like you're in the groove already this season!
Chris - Thanks. I'm fortunate just to be able to play golf throughout the winter months. Something unheard of in The Great White North.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:24 PM
Running On Empty

...we are doing 5S things today...
Yikes. I'd prefer to solve Collatz conjecture (3n+1)...4,2,1
Old February 22nd, 2023, 04:46 PM

5S . . . Shout, Swear, Stash, Steal, and Skidaddle
Old February 22nd, 2023, 05:19 PM
Jeff

I've given mgt the furrowed-brow "F OFF" look on 5S days at the office.

Them: "You need to clean up your cube by 2pm."

Me: "No, I don't... what is on my desk is actively being used / referenced to do my job. Since I'm dealing with confidential financial documents, you can rest assured that the paperwork will either be shredded or appropriately locked away at the end of my work day. Now stop bothering me so that I can continue working."

Best thing that ever happened was getting a second monitor so that I could stop printing off all those pieces of paper that apparently drove people crazy. Good grief, man.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 06:13 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - How much snow you get? Going to turn to slush & ice later tonight?
Old February 22nd, 2023, 06:33 PM

Those videos are hilarious. All 5S is, is someone getting paid to tell us what to do, and tell us it's for our own good. The guy told us yesterday, we need to embrace this so our shop will get better. Well, no one knew it was broke. They gave us red dots and tags and told us to put them on things that weren't necessary. My suggestion was to red tag the group that was pushing this on us. Toyota invented this? They should have kept it to themselves.

What a glorious day. Took the Imperial to the tag office to get it registered, then went to find a gas station to fill it with non-ethanol fuel. What a delight to drive. Lots of thumbs up. Now to replace the 18 year old tires and I can really do some driving.

Supposed to get a washer and dryer delivered tomorrow. They got the old address on file and never asked if that's where I wanted them delivered. I've called twice and they still list the old house. I told Mom to tell them where to go when they come over tomorrow. Oddly enough, she probably will...
Toyota makes big money on our production culture. We have OMDD, the Organizational and Management Development Division, which will go consult on efficiency. We all call them Observes Much; Does Dick.
Old February 22nd, 2023, 09:10 PM

Good shooting Norm
Old February 23rd, 2023, 02:37 AM

Keith - How much snow you get? Going to turn to slush & ice later tonight?
I think we ended up with 3in snow and a bunch of sleet then freezing rain on top.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy I could get used to these mild temperatures. Although, I do need one more cold weekend. I let this get away from me, I need to replace the ignition switch on the white DUKW. I need to get under the dash to do that and there will be a million billion wasps building nests under there now that the weather is nice. I hope I'm not too late, as wasps might have built nests already and will just chill on them when it gets cold. They will wake up and bite me if I'm working there and they are on their nests.

Chris I did see that link. I was going to say something about it and then forgot. That's a nice looking car, but the car stores want way more than I'm willing to pay. Those cars aren't worth 25K to me. Perhaps that's why I'm having trouble finding one. And of course I want what everyone else wants. The floor shift and analog gauges(althought they are electrically driven) and the dark green. And one that isn't all hacked up. And one that doesn't have a million miles on it. You can see why it's taking me awhile to find one.

So we've already been briefed about 5S this morning. I think I will clean the outside of my desk and then go to lunch early. Day three and this has already grown long in the tooth. I signed a whopping 12 wheels yesterday.

Okay time to do something. Whatever is it, it's not enough. Have a good day everyone.

Old February 23rd, 2023, 04:27 AM

Being retired I have never heard of 5S. I do remember many new programs that would run thru the 7 year cycle. Glad I am out of that now. Now it seems the only thing I am trying to avoid is getting in a fight about politics. I have noticed that if a person is quiet or clams up when subjects are mentioned he is perceived to be against what the other is saying. Unless you say "exactly...." or similar you disagree..... oops, enuff of that...... Hey we did get looks like 4-6 inches yesterday and last night. I plan to go work on it and then play in it today. That last 6 inch snowfall we got I didn't even get a chance to play in- it was melted in a day. It is supposta get warm again soon this time also.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 05:07 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Thanks. Did the dead man make it to his grave, yet?

Mike - Wasps don't bite. I've been seeing them flying about looking for nesting sites, as well. Mint, citronella, thyme, eucalyptus and wormwood keep wasps away. You can buy each of these as essential oils, mix several drops of each in some soapy water and spray under the dash - works great.

More of the up/down, up/down, up/down...Should be able to finish up one area of scaffolding & erect a new set of scaffolding sometime today.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 05:59 AM

Norm nope filled the grave up and heard nothing but crickets
Old February 23rd, 2023, 06:18 AM

Mike - No problem on the Impala, now I know what you want, a miracle! LoL Seriously though, green, floor shift, analog gauges, relatively lower miles. Do you have a price point? I'll still keep my eye out for ya!

Greg - Be careful if it's icy out, but get out and enjoy your sled while you can. BTW, I'm right there with ya, my least favorite subject is Politics. I have a couple of very close friends who trend toward a different Party's candidates than I do. We've had these different views for 40-years and we can still be respectful of one another and "agree to disagree". I sure wish more people could be like that these days!

Norm - Be careful with the scaffolding, don't kill yourself (literally)!!!

Maggie's gimpy leg still seems to be much better and holding up, we are very thankful for that. Monty has a Vet appointment tomorrow morning for his annual vaccinations. It will be our 1st visit to the Vet's Office since our personal Vet passed away. I'm sure there will be alot of emotions involved, we will really miss her!

Hope ya'll have a great day!

Old February 23rd, 2023, 06:27 AM
Jeff

Going to wait until the temps go up before even venturing outside. It's not too cold here, but we have about 1-2" of ice-encrusted snow everywhere. High should get up to 43, so no sense in going out and scraping anything if it's just going to melt.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 06:58 AM
Running On Empty

My brothers in the U.P. and Marinette, WI received ~14"-16" of white stuff.
I have several cousins in Wisconsin who are adamant regarding political affiliations - they see only one color, eyes/ears shut on any discussions & I don't speak to them (at all).
Chris - Thanks for the thoughtfulness on remaining careful. Indeed, two feet firmly planted going up/down & standing - 70 yr. old bones probably break quite easily.
Jim - That fiasco, RE: Dead man from Texas, is too bizarre.
One coat of paint on house shutters, a new cup of coffee & more up/down, up/down...it's already 68°F.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 07:36 AM

Chris - Thanks for the thoughtfulness on remaining careful. Indeed, two feet firmly planted going up/down & standing - 70 yr. old bones probably break quite easily.
Norm - You're welcome! I'm sure most folks these days aren't told enough how much they're appreciated. Well I'm going to say right now how much I appreciate all the regulars on this thread and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to any of you! You're all A#1 dudes in my book!
Old February 23rd, 2023, 09:43 AM
Always room for one more

Chris the correct car would be a 96(with the floor shift and analog gauges), Dark Grey Green Metallic, not modified beyond recognition, miles under 100K, decent shape. All for under 10K. I've been looking for awhile, and there used to be cars like this here and there, mostly there where I couldn't get to them easy enough. But all of a sudden, prices jumped up sky high and I'm not paying 25K for a dolled up Caprice Classic. If I could find a decent car for under 10 that was either black or green(not a fan of the maroon) anywhere close to me I'd buy it. But people hack in different radios, change wheels, seats, and think their car that doesn't run or has electrical issues is worth the big bucks. "I know what I have." Trouble is, so does everyone else.

The 5S guy just came through with a long list he made this morning and insisted these things get cleared up. One of them was, there's grease on everything. Gosh, we only use so many different kinds of grease. Let's get right on that.

Norm I know wasps don't "bite." I was just saying that. But thanks. Been seeing some carpenter bees out lately. I need to make a couple of those catchers.

Old February 23rd, 2023, 11:34 AM
Jeff

Ah, geez, wth was I thinking? I had in mind the mid 00's version of an Impala SS, which NOBODY wants. Those ol' upside-down-bathtub Impala's from the mid 90's are awesome, even though I hated that body style when it first came out.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 01:26 PM

3. This is all due to non-technical people advancing in leadership. The shops are run with many technical and non-technical managers, and one technical senior manager and one non-technical senior manager. However, any senior manager can be an assistant general manager by promotion, and you can end up with a non-tech person over a tech person, and that **** has to end. My job should not require the patience of Job to have to explain something not only perfectly understandable, but readily obvious to anyone with half a brain, yet the executives all came up through the path that only requires a quarter of a brain and deal with them making the job 1000% harder than it has to be because of their completely unnecessary "good" ideas.
John, I agree with you 100%. We had freezing rain, but not enough to cause any problems. South of me and I-96 got the brunt of it, with trees coming down and power outages. Unfortunately a firefighter in Paw Paw was electrocuted by a downed power line. Mike, is the Imperial the car that you can't post pics on here? I would like to see it.

Last edited by 1969w3155; February 23rd, 2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
We had freezing rain, but not enough to cause any problems. South of me and I-96 got the brunt of it, with trees coming down and power outages. Unfortunately a firefighter in Paw Paw was electrocuted by a downed power line. Mike, is the Imperial the car that you can't post pics on here? I would like to see it.
Dan - Looks like the I-94 corridor from Kalamazoo to Marshall got hammered with ice. Online accounts of over 200K folks without power in those areas alone. 30% without power in Battle Creek. I checked the Consumer's Power outage map online and my Sister's place is literally right on the line of one of the outage grids. I've been trying to reach her all day to get a first hand account but so far have not been able to get a response via cell, text, or email???
Old February 23rd, 2023, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Dan that's the car. If I can find Norm's email I'll send a picture to him and maybe he can post it for me. It's probably 5 pages back by now.

The washer and dryer people came just as I was getting home from work and installed my new set. Trouble is, I don't have anyplace to hang the laundry once it's done. I'll have to work on that. It's nice to have a working dryer again. And hopefully a washer that won't chew holes in my Tshirts.

Working early tomorrow, of course. We will be there for the duration, which is fine, because it lines up with my Awful house schedule. We got a stern talking to because not enough people signed up for overtime for the weekend. It seems to be lost on the lead that it's not worth getting up extra early only to be shorted several hours.

Jeff the next iteration of Impala actually did come with a V8, and it looked pretty tough duded up as the Indy Pace Car. I don't think I'd throw one out of bed for eating crackers, but I wouldn't pursue one.

Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I just got indoors. You can send the images to either e-mail address or via text to my cell phone:

normg@normg.com
vintagechief@beaufort-by-the-sea.com
252-422-6666
Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Glad you finally had a washer & dryer delivered. Such a PITA dealing with a laundromat.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Mike, is the Imperial the car that you can't post pics on here? I would like to see it.
Dan - From Mike...

Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:39 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm

Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:40 PM
Running On Empty

Sure thing, Mike.
Old February 23rd, 2023, 03:43 PM

Dan - From Mike...

Thanks Norm!

Mike - Your car is gorgeous! I absolutely love it and it's exactly the one I thought it was! Many more pictures please when you have the chance. You're gonna have to hit many more shows and cruise-ins this year with that baby, that car is one alot of people would love to see! As many events as I go to I have never seen one like it in person. Get it out and show it off, you'll have a blast, and others will be glad you did!