The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2023, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I've been going to a periodontist for 20 years...
I've been to a periodontist only once to get a scaling and root planing cleaning below the gum line. I was working away from home at the time for several months (flying in/out each week from home). I received this recommendation from a dentist I didn't know but trusted his judgement (I think I was in the Washington, DC, area). Anyways, while I know a scaling & root planing is a smart choice if they suspect any gum line disease (not sure I even had a gum line disease), I went ahead with the procedure. I can't recall, it was like two appointments or four appointments. It was not a very pleasant experience honestly.
Old November 9th, 2023, 05:19 PM

Wow, what a day I missed alot. Alot going on here too!

Mike - Hang in there with Mom, I'm sure she appreciates you. You're a great son to be doing all you do for her.

Norm - That sucks about the wrong carb, hopefully the 2nd times the charm.

Glenn - Great to hear from you and that you're doing well. Your Car Club building sounds like a great place to hang out for members.

Like Norm, I've regularly went to the dentist twice a year for check-ups and to take care of anything wrong. It's pretty easy for me to keep going regularly after seeing all the pain and anguish, not to mention the expense, my wife's been through. She had minimal dental care her entire life until we got married.

Whew, what a day. I was dealing with a family matter that I won't get into right now I'll just say it's a major PIA. Then I got a call from a very close friend that I hadn't seen since the middle of the summer. He was a groomsman in our wedding. We had been keeping in touch via texts and an occasional phone call. This is my buddy that is the Mopar fanatic that I've posted pics of his cars and restorations. Turns out that about 3-months ago they found he had extensive esophageal and stomach cancer, and about a 2-months ago they removed half his esophagus and half his stomach, then reattached the two. Now he can only eat very tiny meals, and has to eat many small meals a day to get enough calories to retain a normal weight. He just finished his follow-up radiation and chemo therapy a couple weeks ago. He said he really didn't want anyone but family to know until he saw how things were going to go. Good news is he's done for now, and the doctors are telling him he's in remission and cancer free. He also told me he's feeling stronger everyday and he would enjoy a visit from me next week if I can make it. I said just give me a day and time and I'll be there. His story sure made what I'd been dealing with most of the day seem ridiculously unimportant.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 10th, 2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old November 9th, 2023, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Burd
Norm - I had meant to say I pulled the vinyl mats out of the trunk and put them into storage so they wouldn't (not would) trap moisture over the winter.

trap moisture?🤔
The OEM vinyl trunk mats found in Cutlasses/4-4-2's in '67 will cause moisture to condense underneath them in fairly humid climates with wide temperature swings like we have here during the St. Louis winters unless you have a climate controlled garage. Unfortunately, my garage is not climate controlled, so the easiest solution is just to remove the mats for the winter.
Old November 9th, 2023, 06:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - That sucks about the wrong carb, hopefully the 2nd times the charm.
In some regards, you (more or less) become immune to the battle of on-line purchases & returns. For the most part, I really have no complaints. This stuff happens & life moves forward.
Old November 9th, 2023, 06:34 PM

I had the opposite experience. My regular dentist was on vacation when the latest tooth cracked, and they referred me to one of her prodigies who was covering for her. This office had equipment to scan my mouth, digitally construct the tooth profile, machine a ceramic crown, kiln-fire it, and install it in my mouth, all within a 2 hour period. My regular dentist would have to do this over a multi-week time, with a temporary crown, and at least two office visits.
Old November 9th, 2023, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

My dentist performs the exact same procedure for a crown - digital array scan, machines his own ceramic crowns all in two hours. He no him stuff! LOL
Old November 10th, 2023, 02:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Was here bright and early. Even got a good parking space up front. It isn't easy parking a behemoth in this parking lot. I had one wheel left over from yesterday and one of the wall guys came in at 2(!) and had a stack of wheels, so I started signing right away and went steady for over an hour. Wow. Now I'm caught up and have a bit of a break.

Nothing new since last night. Tiger is at home again today, Mom didn't say anything about not taking him over yesterday. I'm sure I mentioned before how I want to build a "potty room" somewhere at my house, so he can stay home but still go out when he needs to, but not have bugs and other critters get in. I might actually have this figured out. It hinges on him being convinced that astro turf is actually grass.

Okay Friday. Have a good day everyone.

Old November 10th, 2023, 03:41 AM

Heading Norte. Have a great weekend Olds friends.
Old November 10th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Enjoy your weekend at the lake.
Old November 10th, 2023, 08:43 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Glenn - Haven't heard from you in some time. Glad things are going well. The building which houses your club activities sounds like a nice place..
We have had an excavator here to make larger parking for car and easier for the 98 to drive in to the garage.
And 18.000kg of gravel but luckaly we got finished this before the 2 foot snow we had one morning. But all
snow has melted now.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Glenn perhaps its the Dynamic that needs the red nose
Yes Mike , maybe so

Glenn - Great to hear from you and that you're doing well. Your Car Club building sounds like a great place to hang out for members.
Yes , nice to drink a little coffee and chat sometimes.

Hope everybody have a nice weekend .
Old November 10th, 2023, 09:14 AM

I don't go on hunting trips with my father anymore as he thinks he is too old, and, his longtime friend and outfitter at the lease he was a member of passed, so I have extra vacation days. Turns out I have 14 left before the end of the year. I can sell 10 back, but I am trying to use them. Taking today off.

Last night, I bought a used yard vacuum. Stock photo attached. It's still in my truck. I got it for about 40% of new price, guy bought it for a friend, friend can't use it, needs self propelled, so I guess I am third owner. Runs well. I will go try it out. My riding mower is Troy Bilt as well. I consider it the lowest consumer grade but not junk unit out there. They work for my level of yard maintenance as I only mow maybe 10 times a year, every 2 weeks for 6 months of the year. This thing vacuums in the front snoot, or you can use a hose, and it shreds leaves and packs them in the bag. My bag has no back hook, so another bag came with it to use that is bigger and heavier. I may have the stock bag fixed. There is also a chute to put it out the side.

An inlet exists to direct feed small sticks into the chipper as well. I want this thing for annual leaves and also year round pine tree debris and small sticks. All this will go to my burn pit. Model is CSV 060 24A-060711. I think it is a 2016 model. I do have inside storage for it available. Still in my truck bed atm, will play with it today.

Old November 10th, 2023, 11:52 AM

I might actually have this figured out. It hinges on him being convinced that astro turf is actually grass.
Lots of folks here in Phoenix have fake grass. The people I have talked to said their dogs use it just the same as real grass.
Old November 10th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Always room for one more

That's good to know Kenneth. Hopefully Tiger follows suit.

John that's a cool machine you got there. We have those out on the ramp at the airport, they call them Billy Goats. That may be a brand name.

Finished up at work around 10, left at 11. I had talked myself out of Awful house, and then like a dumbass forgot that I had and drove right to there. I remembered as I pulled in the lot. But I thought, I'm hungry and I don't have any food at my house, so I went on in. Instantly regretted it. Bad server, dirty tables/counters, the chef was slack and the food wasn't terrific. That will probably be it for the weekend.

MASH finale is on tonight in honor of Veterans Day. I've seen it a number of times, plan on watching it tonight. Oddly enough this wasn't the last show filmed. The one about the time capsule was.

Cloudy and started misting rain this afternoon. Probably will rain and be bad all weekend. So much for doing stuff outside. It would be a good weekend to go somewhere. But I won't.

Old November 10th, 2023, 02:46 PM

Lots of testing done.

The hose doesn't work very well. It's definitely light duty. You can remove it, and I think I will leave it off. It fills the bag up in about 3 min. After 6 bags, I figured, this sucks, so I hooked up the side chute. Upon some thinking, if I work counterclockwise around the property, I will vacuum and shred what is in front of me, and blow it, and leaves to the left, further to the left, inwards on the property. Eventually I will have to deal with a strip in the middle. The chipper works great. Gas consumption is not bad, about like a push mower.

It works ok, but, fall and general cleanup will just take a while.

Last edited by Koda; November 10th, 2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old November 10th, 2023, 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Billy Goat is a brand name (manufacturer).
Old November 10th, 2023, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Lots of testing done.

The hose doesn't work very well. It's definitely light duty. You can remove it, and I think I will leave it off. It fills the bag up in about 3 min. After 6 bags, I figured, this sucks,
Sounds like you need a bigger bag.

Old November 10th, 2023, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71

Or, fewer leaves.
Old November 10th, 2023, 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=Koda;1534557]

Lots of testing done.
[QUOTE]

John - Like Mike said, that is a cool machine. With only 2 large trees out front, and 2 small ones in the back, I could not justify one. I just keep my mower out and mulch them, I figure it's good for the soil anyway.
Old November 10th, 2023, 04:26 PM

My father speaks about a National Geographic picture he saw once. A man of some local status had elephantiasis of his ******* and had a colossal set of nads. He was ascending a staircase while his flunky pushed his giant ***** along behind him. What made the picture, according to my dad, was the look on this flunky's face of how he appeared to want to be doing anything else in the world at that point.
Old November 10th, 2023, 04:35 PM

Good evening guys,

Beautiful Fall day today, sunny and a high of 60°.

Went to pick up a table and chair set for my wife around noon today. Everything was going better today than yesterday until I got a call from my youngest daughter letting me know that they had to take her youngest, Keegan, to the ER last night because he was needing to go to pee every 20-minutes to 1/2-hour. They did a couple tests, but didn't do a bladder MRI, and told her it was behavioral. Total BS, he's never exhibited anything like that before. His symptoms have continued thru the day today. She may have to take him to the Children's Speciality Hospital this evening if the symptoms continue. So much for a drama free day. Just hope the little guy is OK!

Going to watch his older brother Gabe play hockey tomorrow afternoon. I'm really excited about that.

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!
Old November 10th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I've heard of kids having that condition before. I remember when my youngest brother had it. It resolved in something like 2-3 days IIRC. Doc said it was most likely brought on by some type of anxiety. I think my brother was about eight years old when it happened. Sometimes it might be triggered by an infection which would resolve in a couple days, as well. I'm sure they asked him about painful urination & any discoloration. If there wasn't any pain or discoloration, all I'm saying is it "could" be anxiety. A cousin of mine had a son who had the same issue once - evidently brought on by anxiety of some sort. Curious - does it only happen when awake? I hope things check out for Keegan.
Old November 10th, 2023, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - I've heard of kids having that condition before. I remember when my youngest brother had it. It resolved in something like 2-3 days IIRC. Doc said it was most likely brought on by some type of anxiety. I think my brother was about eight years old when it happened. Sometimes it might be triggered by an infection which would resolve in a couple days, as well. I'm sure they asked him about painful urination & any discoloration. If there wasn't any pain or discoloration, all I'm saying is it "could" be anxiety. A cousin of mine had a son who had the same issue once - evidently brought on by anxiety of some sort. Curious - does it only happen when awake? I hope things check out for Keegan.
Norm - It just started yesterday afternoon, so not much time to distinguish any pattern. My daughter has her BSN, and she did not mention any discomfort, pain, discoloration, or unusual odor. I will get a call if they head to the Children's Hospital tonight, and if not, I will see them tomorrow afternoon at Gabe's hockey game and get an update then. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old November 10th, 2023, 06:18 PM

My father speaks about a National Geographic picture he saw once. A man of some local status had elephantiasis of his ******* and had a colossal set of nads. He was ascending a staircase while his flunky pushed his giant ***** along behind him. What made the picture, according to my dad, was the look on this flunky's face of how he appeared to want to be doing anything else in the world at that point.
Reminds me of the Mel Brooks movie with the “**** boy” scene.
Old November 10th, 2023, 06:21 PM

he was needing to go to pee every 20-minutes to 1/2-hour.
Sounds similar to an inflammation issue. Been there, done that. Not fun times.
Old November 10th, 2023, 06:30 PM

Sounds similar to an inflammation issue. Been there, done that. Not fun times.
I wouldn't doubt that it's some type of urinary tract or bladder infection. It could also be some type of anxiety like Norm mentioned. That's why the Docs get the big bucks, I sure as hell don't know??? I just hope they get him feeling better soon!
Old November 10th, 2023, 07:10 PM
Running On Empty

Reminds me of the Mel Brooks movie with the “**** boy” scene.
Wee Wee
Old November 10th, 2023, 08:14 PM

Ugh. In another of the moves caused by the consolidation of the firearms industry, Sierra discontinued several bullets, including the GameKing, which has probably been responsible for 80% of the deer shot in the past 40 years in the US. As such, my preferred diet to my deer rifle no longer exists, which is Federal Vital-Shok in boat tailed soft point (ie, those GameKings). Surplus ammo is gone. Boxes of the bullets are available, so I think I will get some so I can reload. Federal isn't the problem here, yet, the problem is they can't use those bullets, so everything is Nosler, or Trophy Bonded Tip, or whatever.

Bullet construction matters very little in most hunting; you'd kill it with a solid full metal jacket, probably; I just enjoy shooting what I always shot. I think my dad and I have accounted for a few hundred deer via 30-06 rounds from Federal and Sierra. Such a Cadillac of a round; if it's not a moose, and on this continent, that round can probably kill it.
Old November 11th, 2023, 06:48 AM

Bullet construction matters very little in most hunting; you'd kill it with a solid full metal jacket, probably; I just enjoy shooting what I always shot. I think my dad and I have accounted for a few hundred deer via 30-06 rounds from Federal and Sierra. Such a Cadillac of a round; if it's not a moose, and on this continent, that round can probably kill it.
John - That's a shame Sierra discontinued the bullet design you've always used. Funny, we have a large Winchester ammunition plant (Olin industries) close by in Alton, Illinois, but I don't use it. I have used nothing but 175gr Remington Core-Lokts in my 7mm Rem Mag since I bought it specifically for Elk and Mule Deer hunting when I first started hunting out west in 1983. Overkill for Whitetail here in Missouri for sure, but a great all around round especially if you are hunting larger game at potentially longer ranges out West. I've always had great success with the Core-Lokts.
Old November 11th, 2023, 08:01 AM

John - That's a shame Sierra discontinued the bullet design you've always used. Funny, we have a large Winchester ammunition plant (Olin industries) close by in Alton, Illinois, but I don't use it. I have used nothing but 175gr Remington Core-Lokts in my 7mm Rem Mag since I bought it specifically for Elk and Mule Deer hunting when I first started hunting out west in 1983. Overkill for Whitetail here in Missouri for sure, but a great all around round especially if you are hunting larger game at potentially longer ranges out West. I've always had great success with the Core-Lokts.
May have to go that way. 7mm Rem Mag is a good round, comparable with 300 Win Mag. My old man passed me his 7mm Rem Ultra Mag a few years ago. It is ridiculous. He bought it for western hunting, I think he killed his one mule deer with it. He got his elk with his 30-06, though. I've only killed whitetail. I may go on some hunts when I retire.
Old November 11th, 2023, 09:45 AM

May have to go that way. 7mm Rem Mag is a good round, comparable with 300 Win Mag. My old man passed me his 7mm Rem Ultra Mag a few years ago. It is ridiculous. He bought it for western hunting, I think he killed his one mule deer with it. He got his elk with his 30-06, though. I've only killed whitetail. I may go on some hunts when I retire.
I know I'm actually talking to the Preacher, not just the Choir, when I say this, the 30-06 is a fine round for both Elk and Mule Deer, a guy's just got to know the limits of his shooting ability and the rifle he's carrying. I sure hope you're able to get out West a few times when you retire, it was always my favorite vacation every Fall whether I got something or not. I'd still like to get out there a couple more times before I'm too old to get up and down those mountainsides.
Old November 11th, 2023, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

It's been dreary & dank the entire day - mild wind, low-/mid-50s & a steady misting of rain - misting only; just enough to make you slightly damp working outdoors. Typical fall weather. I spent ~5 hours clearing the ditch & called it quits. Huskie carb supposed to arrive tomorrow - fingers crossed. Have to call the Jury Summons hotline tomorrow evening to see if I have to report on Monday. My last Jury Summons several years ago when I called they told me I was not going to be needed the entire week & I wouldn't receive another Jury Summons for at least two year - fingers crossed. I haven't hunted white tail for many years - 15 maybe? Love venison - in particular, I love making venison chili.

Chris - Hope Keegan is doing fine & Gabe hasn't lost any teeth.
Old November 11th, 2023, 02:37 PM

Chicken volaile

Old November 11th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just finished a rather large plate of spaghetti. It was yummy. Gonna grab a couple Oreo's and then I'll be good for a couple hours until we have some ice cream.

Chris hope Keegan is doing better. Did he start some medicine or something that would cause that? I hope his mother the nurse did not accept that diagnosis from the ER. Ridiculous. I've had a urinary tract infection before, not fun.

So I started working on my bicycle today. The front tire/tube still held air, though I'm not sure how far I'd get with it. The back tire is shredded. It must have been close to the window or something and baked by sunlight. I need to get some chrome polish to clean up the rim before I put it all back together.

Been raining and gloomy all day. Also cleaned in the basement a little. Didn't even want to be outside. Tiger hung out with me so it was a good time.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old November 11th, 2023, 03:34 PM

So I started working on my bicycle today. The front tire/tube still held air, though I'm not sure how far I'd get with it. The back tire is shredded. It must have been close to the window or something and baked by sunlight.
That’s what happens here in the desert. Rubber tires and such just disintegrate over time.
Old November 11th, 2023, 08:40 PM

Hi guys,

Norm - Man that damn ditch must be like a damn jungle, don't let it be the death of you!

Norm and Mike - Thanks for your concern and inquiries about Keegan. I saw him and my daughter at Gabe's hockey game this afternoon. He seemed fine and not to be in any discomfort, and my daughter said his urges had slowed down from once every 20 to 30-minutes to around an hour. They did not go to the Children's Hospital last night, but my Daughter has an appointment for him to see his regular pediatrician on Monday if it doesn't completely resolve before then. He will need to see his regular pediatrician before the insurance will pay for him to see any kind of specialist.

Jim - The Chicken looks delicious and much healthier than the frozen pizza I ate. We have a chain of Pizzerias here that originated in St. Louis and are famous for their thin crust pizzas, made with shredded provolone cheese vs. mozzarella. They have recently started marketing their pizzas frozen throughout several Midwestern states. Tried one for the first time a few weeks ago and they taste very, very close to the ones you get at the restaurant and are great. This one is their Supreme with Italian Sausage, Ham, Bacon, Green Peppers, Onions, and Mushrooms.

We had a blast watching Gabe's hockey game. His team won 2-0, and he had both assists playing Center on the first line. His Mom is right, he can really skate for 10-years old. My phone is not great for capturing action shots, but I gotta throw in a couple of pics.

Hope ya'll have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 11th, 2023 at 08:42 PM.
Old November 11th, 2023, 08:55 PM

Good enough on the pics. Good for him.

I had a package and a half of venison tenderloins grilled, and some canned greens. I need to eat more of my frozen meat stores, stuff is getting old. Have a turkey breast to grill tomorrow. I may splurge and grill cheeseburgers for lunch. I do cook on occasion, it just makes such a big mess compared to the gas grill outside. Soon it will be cold, and I'll need to do my winter activity on weekends staying at home of making crock pot pot roast all day. That typically makes me about 5 meals at once.
Old November 11th, 2023, 09:24 PM

Good enough on the pics. Good for him.

I had a package and a half of venison tenderloins grilled, and some canned greens.
John - Thanks! The grilled venison tenderloins sure sound tasty! It's been way too long since I've had any in my freezer. I'm thinking about asking my daughter about putting up a stand on her property and hunting with my muzzleloader during the Alternative Methods firearm season from December 23 thru January 2, 2024. It will be cold, but the leaves will be off the trees, and maybe if you're lucky a little snow on the ground. Always a little easier seeing them coming under those conditions, and enough time has passed since the regular firearms season that they have gotten past being nocturnal.
Old November 12th, 2023, 02:20 AM

Chris, I hope Keegan is on the mend, nice pics. Hey! You found a better frozen pizza? I wonder if they are around here? We still love the Home Run pizzas- so far those are the best frozen pizzas we have had- Thanks to you....
Old November 12th, 2023, 03:36 AM

John, the 1st piece of equipment I bought in 1978 when I bought my farm was a Troy built horse tiller. Fantastic piece of equipment. Still have it. Many years later ii bought a Troy built chipper spreader. It was a POS gave it away
Old November 12th, 2023, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, I hope Keegan is on the mend, nice pics. Hey! You found a better frozen pizza? I wonder if they are around here? We still love the Home Run pizzas- so far those are the best frozen pizzas we have had- Thanks to you....
Greg - Thanks, we hope he is on the mend too!

I would not say these IMO's pizzas are better, but in my opinion just as good. However, their taste is very different than the Home Run because of the very thin crust, and their trademarked Provel Cheese which is a blended cheese made of Cheddar, Swiss, and Provolone. I have started getting both when we go to Walmart just to change it up once in a while. I had already checked to see if they were selling them up there in Michigan yet, but unfortunately they aren't. The farthest your direction they are selling them so far is northern Illinois.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 12th, 2023 at 06:35 AM.