The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...i thought you and Norm were speaking about cat briar.
Cat briar (brier), Green brier, Saw briar, Bull brier, Horse brier, etc., etc., etc....whatever you care to call it, there are many different species of Smilax, but they're all Smilax.
Old November 15th, 2023, 05:45 PM

Jim-https://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto...687890380.html
Old November 16th, 2023, 08:31 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Usual slow start to the day, and now it's lunchtime and I only have 9 wheels. Every day the lead says how important it is to make our number, but every day things are slack and he doesn't say or do anything about it. Didn't take these guys long to figure out how things work, that's for sure.

Looks to be partly sunny and 62 out. I'll have to walk down to the roll up door and see for myself. Gotta take Mom on a couple errands after work.

And that's about that. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old November 16th, 2023, 01:01 PM
Running On Empty

Well, this guy who heads up this little golf group at the new (old) club I now belong to has a hair up his *** and I told him so today. I don't have time for A$$ hats and I know I won't be playing with this group again. Carry on....
Old November 16th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Well, this guy who heads up this little golf group at the new (old) club I now belong to has a hair up his *** and I told him so today. I don't have time for A$$ hats and I know I won't be playing with this group again. Carry on....
Norm - That's a shame. Sorry you had to do that, but glad you had the ***** to call him out on his bad behavior. There's certainly no need to subject yourself to an A-hole when you're out there to relax and have a nice time!
Old November 16th, 2023, 04:36 PM

Hi guys,
Today was not an enjoyable day. I took my wife to get her 1-year follow-up with her 2nd surgeon. She had gotten a clean bill of health from the 1st surgeon a week ago. Unfortunately this 2nd doctor saw a new spot that he thinks should be removed. This is another pre-cancerous type skin lesion in the same area where some tissue was removed before. Of course my wife was pretty shaken, hoping that we had put all of this in our rear view mirror. It is a very small spot, and the surgery will not be very involved, and the doctor said it was fine to wait until after the holidays so she is not laid up while those are going on. We're looking at early February for her to go in and have it removed.
Old November 16th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - My feelings regarding arrogant people is they’ve earned my disdain.
Old November 16th, 2023, 05:49 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Hoping things will be fine for your wife. Surgical removal of a precancerous lesion should mean she has good practitioners mindful of their patients best health.
Old November 16th, 2023, 05:57 PM

Chris - Hoping things will be fine for your wife. Surgical removal of a precancerous lesion should mean she has good practitioners mindful of their patients best health.
Norm - We certainly appreciate your encouragement, thanks!
Old November 16th, 2023, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by vintage chief
chris - hoping things will be fine for your wife. Surgical removal of a precancerous lesion should mean she has good practitioners mindful of their patients best health.
Old November 17th, 2023, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Thanks Jim, much appreciated!
Old November 17th, 2023, 06:36 AM

Hope the wifey is ok, Chris. The good news is at least you two are hyper vigilant on it.

My plant is talking heavily about unionization (if that's the correct word.) I have mixed feelings on the UAW. I wholeheartedly like the craft trade unions, like the IBEW. Toyota gave out a pretty good pay raise for the fall raise to the team members, which, thus, also includes the skilled team members (maint dudes) and both types' team leaders. Then, the group leaders will get a big bump. The issue is, managers are taken care of, but engineers are left in the cold, especially if you are like me and are no one's favorite, with low salary to reflect that. I believe, right now, a maint team leader with the night shift premium pulls more than I do. If they do another running scared raise to everyone, we're going to have a "I know you think I'm dirt, but I am really responsible for all this, and you might want to pay me appropriately" talk.

Simultaneously, they did a "focus group", well, several of them, a few weeks ago. HR wanted to ask about the survey questions that received low scores, in the areas of pay, supervision, training, promotion, and communication. I didn't fire all the nukes, but I shot most of them. She wanted a follow up meeting with just me, so we had one. I told her I did not want anything from HR and cited previous complaints to HR that did nothing. She said she'd look into it, so I said fine and we closed the meeting. Since then, I HAVE thought of something I want. I have seven years left; I want them to offer me an early retirement. I'll leave, then I'll do something else with my time.
Old November 17th, 2023, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Hope the wifey is ok, Chris. The good news is at least you two are hyper vigilant on it.
. . .
Since then, I HAVE thought of something I want. I have seven years left; I want them to offer me an early retirement. I'll leave, then I'll do something else with my time.
John - Thanks for the well wishes for my wife, very much appreciated. I don't know if it's standard procedure these days or not, but I think she will now have regular exams every 6-months for the rest of her life. A pain in the A$$, but better than the alternative for sure.

I really hope they offer you some type of decent "Early Out" package. In 2018 at age 58 I was within about 2-years of maxing out in my pay grade, and I didn't want another promotion because I would have to sign a document agreeing to relocate to Washington, D.C. if I was promoted and they asked me to move. No thanks! Luckily that same year they offered a $40K (before taxes) lump sum buyout for anyone that was 55 or over, and had 30-years in. That offer made it a no brainer for me, so I took the money and ran! The few extra years I might have worked if they hadn't offered the buyout would only have made an extra $30 or $40 a month take home in my pension. I hope Toyota offers something along those lines for you!
Old November 17th, 2023, 07:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Because of my lead's ambiguous comment yesterday, I showed up at 4 this morning, thinking we'd get off at noon. Nope. We'll be here for the duration. If I were a betting man, he'll leave early and leave the rest of us hanging.

Hope everything turns out Chris. I had something that needed to be removed from my face a few years ago. Nothing to mess with. She was fine last time, she'll be fine this time.

Norm are you cutting loose the whole club? That would be too bad since you just joined. Just go all Happy Gilmore on him.

How we've managed to avoid a union here in Maintenance is only a little puzzling to me. When looking at the big picture, we get paid pretty well, and we're fairly well taken care of. It gets a little sticky when a department has a $hitty manager, but by and large we do okay. But then someone puts together information on other airlines' pay and whatnot, and cries foul and everyone gets up in arms. That's usually when we get a raise and all the talk subsides.

My sister and her husband are coming up Saturday and then on Sunday they are taking Mom to Gatlinburg for a week. I'm staying home, because I'm going to Turkey Rod Run in Florida over Thanksgiving. I'm taking Monday off and plan to paint the kitchen at Mom's house. It's looked splotchy for quite a while. I'm also going to try to move a car that's sitting on the driveway. We'll probably get home about the same time Saturday evening.

Also tomorrow we're having a cook out to honor that guy in the neighborhood that died a few weeks ago. I heard mention that some of the pilots are going to take off and fly a missing man formation over the airport. I hope they don't do that. We'd be having more cook outs.

Here's one thing I find odd about reading the backpages of TNGMT. Some of the posts are missing. Someone will comment on a post that isn't there. As an example, and I remember this going on, Udo's mother died and everyone posted about it. Well, none of that showed up but his post of, thanks everyone for your kind words showed up. Strange.

Okay gotta get ready for lunch. Happy Friday everyone.

Old November 17th, 2023, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I’ve been on a regular biannual Derm. schedule for 4+ years. No biggie, get used to it and be thankful - it’s a positive evaluation.

Mike - Most likely the post(s) were deleted by the OP. Albeit, posts/discussions ensue but the original post(s) were deleted by the OP.
Old November 17th, 2023, 08:13 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Specifically, I told the asshat golfer he had a hair up his ***. I’m still a member of this club, I won’t be playing in the asshat’s group any longer & I stated the same to Mr. Asshat.
Old November 17th, 2023, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.
Hope everything turns out Chris. I had something that needed to be removed from my face a few years ago. Nothing to mess with. She was fine last time, she'll be fine this time.
Mike - Thanks for the well wishes and encouraging words, they are much appreciated!

I hope you have a fun trip to Florida over Thanksgiving. I wish you safe travels.
Old November 17th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Chris - I’ve been on a regular biannual Derm. schedule for 4+ years. No biggie, get used to it and be thankful - it’s a positive evaluation.
Norm - Believe me when I say I am very thankful for the biannual evaluations! Much, much better to catch something early when it is much easier to deal with.
Old November 17th, 2023, 08:58 AM
Running On Empty

BCCs (Basal Cell Carcinomas) can turn into Squamous Cell Carcinoma (Melanoma) and create a labyrinth network just beneath the epidermis or (hopefully not) lower. At that point surgery gets uglier. Living On Sponge Cake, Watching The Sun Bake - RIP Jimmy

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 17th, 2023 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Sp
Old November 17th, 2023, 09:08 AM
Running On Empty

Removed another several hundred miles of brush & bramble guess I’ll fire up the Huskie and take down some trees now.
Old November 17th, 2023, 09:35 AM

Removed another several hundred miles of brush & bramble guess I’ll fire up the Huskie and take down some trees now.
Norm - Excuse me if you already stated this at the start of the ditch ordeal, but approximately how long is that damn thing, it sounds monstrous!
Old November 17th, 2023, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...approximately how long is that damn thing...
125' L x 4.5' D x 10' W
Old November 17th, 2023, 01:23 PM

125' L x 4.5' D x 10' W
Wow, no wonder it's such a project!
Old November 17th, 2023, 01:25 PM
Running On Empty

Wow, no wonder it's such a project!
And, the F'ing thing isn't even on my property....
Old November 17th, 2023, 01:34 PM

And, the F'ing thing isn't even on my property....
That really sucks, I'm surprised the local governing entity doesn't make the owners keep it cleared.
Old November 17th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Running On Empty

That really sucks, I'm surprised the local governing entity doesn't make the owners keep it cleared.
Ever see a boiling pot of $hit? Keep it up & you will.
Old November 17th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Running On Empty

Got to thinking you may not catch what I'm saying. I am so fed up with all the **** dealing w/ the neighbor & the governing douche nozzles I am ready to boil over.
Old November 17th, 2023, 02:08 PM

I'm surprised the local governing entity doesn't make the owners keep it cleared.
That's funny stuff. Right outside our neighborhood there's a sidewalk trail from a greenbelt area, along a wash, to a couple of ponds. The HOA owns the greenbelt and the ponds, and the city owns the wash and sidewalk. The HOA had to put up signs saying that area was owned/maintained by the City of Phoenix, apparently due to all the resident's complaints of the wild, unmaintained, overgrown area. Our "local governing entity" doesn't even maintain its own property.
Old November 17th, 2023, 02:20 PM

Got to thinking you may not catch what I'm saying. I am so fed up with all the **** dealing w/ the neighbor & the governing douche nozzles I am ready to boil over.
Originally Posted by Fun71
That's funny stuff. Right outside our neighborhood there's a sidewalk trail from a greenbelt area, along a wash, to a couple of ponds. The HOA owns the greenbelt and the ponds, and the city owns the wash and sidewalk. The HOA had to put up signs saying that area was owned/maintained by the City of Phoenix, apparently due to all the resident's complaints of the wild, unmaintained, overgrown area. Our "local governing entity" doesn't even maintain its own property.
Norm - I knew what you were saying.

I guess I'm just conditioned by our small local City government being pretty good about making property owners keeping their places presentable, and our **** HOA going overboard in regard to the same.
Old November 17th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Running On Empty

My "local governing entity" doesn't even maintain its own property.
I really don't want to go down the path of sharing the amount of complete BULL$HIT I have dealt w/ over the past 20+ years dealing with these (non) governing douche nozzles. I want to enjoy my dinner.
Old November 17th, 2023, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - I knew what you were saying.
OK, good. I thought I'd say something in case it was taken the wrong way.
Old November 17th, 2023, 03:45 PM

Wife sold this piece 2-days ago for $400.

Wife refinished this piece for her Brother's wife. It was originally a dark walnut and she wanted it a whitewashed natural tone, which is what she got. She also wanted it re-upholstered in the blue velvet which my wife also did.
Old November 17th, 2023, 04:11 PM
Running On Empty

I hope she pays you well for hauling her stuff all over the planet.
Old November 17th, 2023, 04:17 PM

I hope she pays you well for hauling her stuff all over the planet.
Oh she does, she really does, she's incredibly grateful!
Old November 17th, 2023, 05:57 PM

I guess I'm just conditioned by our small local City government being pretty good about making property owners keeping their places presentable, and our **** HOA going overboard in regard to the same.
I dunno if I was clear. The HOA and homeowners maintain their properties very well. It’s the City of Phoenix that has neglected its property and created a blight on the area.
Old November 17th, 2023, 05:59 PM

Had today off. Took a phone call from one of my proofers for the latest issue of the newsletter, and am about to put those notes, and the notes from the first proofer in, then send a new copy to the third proofer (who likes to be final check anyway.)

I made a decor decision and took down several cardboard beer signs. With rare exception, I have decided to keep to my "a cardboard sign should be framed" design theory, so I hauled 6 signs to my framer. 4 of them are 10"x24", so, he is going to frame them all together in a column, making the framed art roughly 48"x26". The other two signs are 24" square, and will be framed by themselves, with the same materials to match. So, I will receive three framed artworks to hang here in a couple weeks. Part of winter projects is to hang all decorations I have.

Then went to record store and bought a lot of LPs and cassettes. Couple 8 tracks. Don't think I bought a CD.

Then went grocery shopping. I did my yearly supply run where I take a long time and buy all the soaps and canned stuff and such. Bought that and some booze and took it to the truck, then came back for a small cart and got the cold stuff. Now I am set to be home for a week and do some cooking. I'm planning a lasagna, meatloaf, a chicken with sauce, and a pot roast. Will also do my normal grilling. Was going to try to yankee bbq some beef ribs, but the store had none.

Norm I am going to order a drip torch and a fuel can, and, for the first time in my life, I may buy some Diesel fuel. Drip torch fuel is supposedly 60/40 Diesel/gasoline.
Old November 17th, 2023, 06:22 PM

I dunno if I was clear. The HOA and homeowners maintain their properties very well. It’s the City of Phoenix that has neglected its property and created a blight on the area.
Kenneth - You were very clear. The first part of my comment about our little town doing a good job of policing trashy places was directed towards your's and Norm's comments about your local government entities not doing a good job. My add on about our HOA was just pointing out additional support in that regard.
Old November 17th, 2023, 06:31 PM

I made a decor decision and took down several cardboard beer signs. With rare exception, I have decided to keep to my "a cardboard sign should be framed" design theory, so I hauled 6 signs to my framer. 4 of them are 10"x24", so, he is going to frame them all together in a column, making the framed art roughly 48"x26". The other two signs are 24" square, and will be framed by themselves, with the same materials to match. So, I will receive three framed artworks to hang here in a couple weeks. Part of winter projects is to hang all decorations I have.
John - Your plan for the framed signs sounds nice. You'll have to show us some pics when you have them up. I like beer memorabilia, not as much as beer itself, but I like it.
Old November 17th, 2023, 07:26 PM

My plant is talking heavily about unionization (if that's the correct word.) I have mixed feelings on the UAW. I wholeheartedly like the craft trade unions, like the IBEW. Toyota gave out a pretty good pay raise for the fall raise to the team members, which, thus, also includes the skilled team members (maint dudes) and both types' team leaders. Then, the group leaders will get a big bump. The issue is, managers are taken care of, but engineers are left in the cold, especially if you are like me and are no one's favorite, with low salary to reflect that. I believe, right now, a maint team leader with the night shift premium pulls more than I do. If they do another running scared raise to everyone, we're going to have a "I know you think I'm dirt, but I am really responsible for all this, and you might want to pay me appropriately" talk.

Simultaneously, they did a "focus group", well, several of them, a few weeks ago. HR wanted to ask about the survey questions that received low scores, in the areas of pay, supervision, training, promotion, and communication. I didn't fire all the nukes, but I shot most of them. She wanted a follow up meeting with just me, so we had one. I told her I did not want anything from HR and cited previous complaints to HR that did nothing. She said she'd look into it, so I said fine and we closed the meeting. Since then, I HAVE thought of something I want. I have seven years left; I want them to offer me an early retirement. I'll leave, then I'll do something else with my time.
The Union Representation is Key. Many brave under valued hard working folks have fought and died literally for representation of worker/ coworker rights and fair compensation.

Or....keep the" push for more for less" mid manager types dictate all the decision processes.

I know what my vote is and always will be. " You have a Right for a Union "United we stand"

Local 965 IBEW member here

Old November 17th, 2023, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
The Union Representation is Key. Many brave under valued hard working folks have fought and died literally for representation of worker/ coworker rights and fair compensation.

Or....keep the" push for more for less" mid manager types dictate all the decision processes.

I know what my vote is and always will be. " You have a Right for a Union "United we stand"

Local 965 IBEW member here
One thing I do know, if they unionize my plant, it's going to be an interesting ride.

IBEW wins for best logo. That fist holding lightning is awesome.