The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2023, 07:22 PM

Thanks Norm! Ya know, I did not care for French Toast much as a kid, I would have rather had pancakes or waffles, but my wife's French Toast is pretty damn special.

Glad your tool got there so you can get the chainsaw tuned properly. Isn't it frickin amazing how tools just get up and walk off sometimes. I really think there are tool Gremlins.
Old November 3rd, 2023, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - That looks delicious (I'm salivating).

Ya know, for a $7.00 screwdriver/tool (P-21 spline) I was like a kid on Christmas morning when it arrived at my house after my golf game and return from the grocery store. I immediately headed to the Husqvarna 455 chainsaw to check its fit (perfect) then evaluate the L & H settings. They were COMPLETELY out of whack. Who could have done such a thing (I wonder)? Yours truly that's who. No wonder it's running like 💩

Can't wait until morning to reset the carburetor A/F mixtures for L & H.
Considering that my old Stihl is my first real chainsaw, I did not notice I had worn the chain to dull. I put a new chain on it, and it was like going from a BB gun to a 30-06. Thing pulled itself through trees.
Old November 4th, 2023, 03:04 AM

Chris - That looks delicious (I'm salivating).

Ya know, for a $7.00 screwdriver/tool (P-21 spline) I was like a kid on Christmas morning when it arrived at my house after my golf game and return from the grocery store. I immediately headed to the Husqvarna 455 chainsaw to check its fit (perfect) then evaluate the L & H settings. They were COMPLETELY out of whack. Who could have done such a thing (I wonder)? Yours truly that's who. No wonder it's running like 💩

Can't wait until morning to reset the carburetor A/F mixtures for L & H.
Norm this is my go to guy when I was working on an old string trimmer that was/still is running like shizzy. He has a way of articulating the processes that I can understand. Here is one on a Rancher you might enjoy looking at...

Old November 4th, 2023, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Considering that my old Stihl is my first real chainsaw, I did not notice I had worn the chain to dull. I put a new chain on it, and it was like going from a BB gun to a 30-06. Thing pulled itself through trees.
John I picked up a bench type grinder/sharpener for doing saw chains and it was a game changer. You are not kidding a huge difference in the enjoyment factor good chain vs dull.
If you ever have a chance look at arborist site .com Pretty decent chainsaw section of chat and such
Old November 4th, 2023, 04:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Norm this is my go to guy when I was working on an old string trimmer that was/still is running like shizzy. He has a way of articulating the processes that I can understand. Here is one on a Rancher you might enjoy looking at...
Keith - Thanks, I've never seen anything by him previously & I wasn't aware of the possibility of a leak at the carb fuel inlet line to the carb body. I installed a new carburetor two years ago. I don't believe I set the L & H settings correctly. I'll find out shortly. He's working on the exact same Model 445 I own.
Old November 4th, 2023, 04:35 AM
Running On Empty

I've owned three chain saws in my lifetime. I've never sharpened a chain. At one point I considered buying the type of bench sharpener Keith mentioned since they look pretty good. Instead, I simply purchase a new chain. I suspect if I really did a significant amount of cutting a bench sharpener would be worth the effort instead of buying a new chain. I've been on a couple arbor sites in years past - arborist.com is a good one.
Old November 4th, 2023, 04:41 AM

Last weekend donny and his family stayed at my lake house. After Bob Cupp redesigned our on town golf course. Donny saved some of the old yardage markers. He gave me a few because he knows i love objects d'art
Old November 4th, 2023, 04:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Isn't it frickin amazing how tools just get up and walk off sometimes. I really think there are tool Gremlins.
Similar to missing socks...

Old November 4th, 2023, 04:49 AM
Running On Empty

Old November 4th, 2023, 04:51 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Donny saved some of the old yardage markers. He gave me a few because he knows i love objects d'art
Jim - That's great.
Old November 4th, 2023, 08:23 AM
Running On Empty

I screwed the pooch. Turning in the IDLE mixture screw until it stops I broke off the IDLE mixture screw metal base which holds the IDLE mixture to the carburetor itself. Doh!

I did not replace the Huskie carburetor as I had previously thought. Instead, I disassembled the Huskie a couple years ago, lubed everything, replaced chain, replaced filter(s), etc. It was my weed eater I replaced the carburetor. That weed eater is gone since I bought a new electric EGO which I truly do enjoy. It cuts extremely well without the huge noise, as well.

I ordered an OEM Husqvarna carburetor - twice the price of nearly all other manufacturers offering the exact same carburetor; and, many of them included new tubing, new filter(s), and some even a new spark plug. I've tried that type of discounted price offerings in the past & you generally always end up with $hit parts. They're all made in China including the OEM Huskie carb. However, there do exist certain quality standards among various manufacturers so I'm will to pay for OEM. As the video Keith provided, the guy never said who made that carburetor he found the leak. I don't enjoy doing things twice so I bought the OEM piece.
Old November 4th, 2023, 12:34 PM

Norm I use Husky round file to sharpen my chain
makes a world of difference. If you look closely at the teeth it shows the proper angle. Remember it takes about 1/2 a new York second to dull one if it hits something

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 4th, 2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old November 4th, 2023, 03:25 PM

I screwed the pooch. Turning in the IDLE mixture screw until it stops I broke off the IDLE mixture screw metal base which holds the IDLE mixture to the carburetor itself. Doh!
Man, that really sucks! Sorry you're having to go.to.the time and expense of ordering and installing a new OEM carb!
Old November 4th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Really beautiful Fall day at the Car Show, sunny and 67°. The car did itself proud, Best in Class 1960 - 1969, All Makes and Models. Take that Ford, MOPAR, and Chebby!

Old November 4th, 2023, 03:44 PM

It’s currently 88 degrees, and of course full sunshine. I just finished mowing the grass - overseeded with rye grass 2 weeks ago, mowed last weekend and some areas were 8” tall today. Still trying to get even coverage but the quail, dove, and assorted yard birds think I’m feeding them. The rabbits are helping keep the corner areas trimmed, and have no interest in the seeds before they grow into dinner.
Old November 4th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yeah, $HIT happens. Nice trophy.
Old November 4th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Chris - Yeah, $HIT happens. Nice trophy.
Thanks Norm, much appreciated. May be the most rewarding win of the year because the judges were the other car owners. Each paid participant was allowed to vote for one car in each Class.
Old November 4th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

Damn - That’s awesome. Congratulations.
Old November 4th, 2023, 05:26 PM

Damn - That’s awesome. Congratulations.
Thanks buddy! 😊
Old November 5th, 2023, 03:21 AM

I did not replace the Huskie carburetor as I had previously thought. Instead, I disassembled the Huskie a couple years ago, lubed everything, replaced chain, replaced filter(s), etc. It was my weed eater I replaced the carburetor. That weed eater is gone since I bought a new electric EGO which I truly do enjoy. It cuts extremely well without the huge noise, as well.

I ordered an OEM Husqvarna carburetor - twice the price of nearly all other manufacturers offering the exact same carburetor; and, many of them included new tubing, new filter(s), and some even a new spark plug. I've tried that type of discounted price offerings in the past & you generally always end up with $hit parts. They're all made in China including the OEM Huskie carb. However, there do exist certain quality standards among various manufacturers so I'm will to pay for OEM. As the video Keith provided, the guy never said who made that carburetor he found the leak. I don't enjoy doing things twice so I bought the OEM piece.

Sounds like you are back on track. Wise choice going with OEM. Here is another video on the subject Dony had maybe you will find interesting for a parts source. I picked up an electric string trimmer also mine is a Stihl man they are so much handier than the gas rigs

Last edited by otto72; November 5th, 2023 at 03:29 AM.
Old November 6th, 2023, 05:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah, back again. So far the morning has been okay, I'm well past my self-appointed number of 10 by break. Just walked past the roll up door and it's a beautiful day out.

Chris I didn't want to muddy up your picture thread, but was it ever determined if the gal with the 67 W30, was the car built at the factory with air conditioning or was "factory style" air conditioning added at a later time? I still need to get me a 67 Cutlass of some sort.

My chain saw has flipped a link on its chain and has jammed itself inside the cover. I need to take it all apart and see if I can fix it or if a new chain is in order. That would be ashame since it only has a couple hours on it. Eh, chains are reasonable.

Well I got tired of looking at the same old things on the internet, so I started reading this "New Good Morning Thread" from the beginning. I did this before, but there are a few more pages this time. By the time I get to these current posts they will be 6 months old. Right now I'm on page 6 and it's January 2011. We still have Wolfie, Blue Vista, Sandy, Col Wickham, Ken from Canada, and Don. Jamesbo is in the process of evicting a landscaper from his rental house, Sandy is hating winter, there's some guy named Byron from Thailand and another guy named Higgins. This is all long before I started posting. I'll read a few pages a day until the computers here at work crash and erase what page I'm on.

Okay break time. No big plans for the week but it's supposed to be nice. Hope everyone's week starts off good.

Old November 6th, 2023, 05:46 AM

Mike, When I gave up rental properties, I added 50 years to my life. It was a PITA since I was 14 years old [working for parents]
Old November 6th, 2023, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, When I gave up rental properties, I added 50 years to my life. It was a PITA since I was 14 years old [working for parents]
Jim, I have heard the ONLY way to do rental properties these days is you own, and then hire a property management firm to collect rent and handle tenants and maintenance. You lose some money, but also lose all the stress.

I moved some cars yesterday. Left home in my Monte Carlo, drove it, it's doing ok other than the power steering is starting to fail. Parked it in the rental spot in the pole barn where my van goes. Got the van, drove it, it needs a tune up or more carb work or both, and put it in the storage unit in the stall next to my 442 that I recently cleaned up enough to fit it in there. Walked the 2 miles home. Had lunch, went to the gun range with friends. My cheap chicom sks sucks. I shot a new AK I have, was not impressed with its accuracy; I need to work on it. M1A has ok accuracy, and my FN rifle had the turret one revolution off. I sighted it back in on that turret, and adjusted it windage and got on target. Was ringing steel at 400 yards from slung prone at the end, which is what we expect out of my shooting program. Good afternoon; had mexican dinner with one of the friends and went home.

I need to wash the Monte Carlo's car cover and take it to it, as well as put some locks on the car. It should be ok there; it's locked up in a building with limited access surrounded by expensive power boats. Only people that go in there are renters and the main renter, it's the rest of a building the main guy rents as his roofing business office. It's not a horribly expensive car, either.
Old November 6th, 2023, 07:34 AM

Picture of said Chevy yesterday.
Old November 6th, 2023, 07:42 AM

Picture of said Chevy yesterday.
I know it's from a distance, but that's a damn fine looking car!
Old November 6th, 2023, 08:32 AM

Thanks, it was a good day for a photo. The hood really needs paint. I should repaint the whole thing some day.
Old November 6th, 2023, 08:34 AM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1533675]Good morning everyone.

Chris I didn't want to muddy up your picture thread, but was it ever determined if the gal with the 67 W30, was the car built at the factory with air conditioning or was "factory style" air conditioning added at a later time? I still need to get me a 67 Cutlass of some sort.

Mike - Here's the story to the best of my knowledge.
- Car was delivered to the dealer as a regular 4-4-2 optioned '67 Cutlass Supreme with TH400 and AC.
- At the owner's request the Dealer installed both W-30 parts group packages, that included the battery relocation package and the Cam package. See the attached docs. The '67 W-30 Cam (308/308 advertised duration) was not as radical as the famous '68 - '70 W-30 Cam which had the 328/328 advertised duration that you could only get on MT, non-A/C cars.
- What you should call the car is certainly up for debate? Is it a W-30, a Dealer Installed W-30 Track Pack, or something else, I don't know. The car is still in restoration and is being groomed for MCACN next season. The owner has been in contact with MCACN officials/advisors, and I believe the car is going to be accepted as a W-30 Track Pack.

That's as much as I know.

Old November 6th, 2023, 08:59 AM

Chris, in my opinion, the answer to this question is that this 67 442 is NOT a "W-30" using the term as intended by marketing, i.e. "I just ordered a 67 442 W-30 from my dealer!"

What muddies the waters is the OAI package is also called W-30. What this car is is a dealer installed track pack, and additional bolt on beauty parts that came stock on a W-30, including red fenderwells.

Here's the defining factor, the 67 442 W-30, from the factory, was more than the OAI system and the cam. It was, if automatic, a special TH-400. It was a special P type rear differential of only certain high gear options with limited slip. It was specific heads and a specific quadrajet. The engine was blueprinted. The entire powertrain was special, and there was no air conditioning. It also had red fenderwells.

While I have no issue with someone putting a track pack setup on their 66-67 442, I do draw issue with advertising it as a W-30, and putting other parts that came on W-30s only on it. People can be misled, and I am disappointed that an officer of the OCA engages in such shenanigans, as well as with MCACN for considering this car, if they are considering it as stock. Just because the story is the dealer did it; it doesn't mean it should be considered a production option.

I have a 67 442. It has AC and a highway gear. I have a track pack setup, or, most of it. I will put it on the car. I will not put chromed valve covers, oil fill cap, or red fenderwells on it. I will not call it a W-30.

Old November 6th, 2023, 09:16 AM

Chris, in my opinion, the answer to this question is that this 67 442 is NOT a "W-30" using the term as intended by marketing, i.e. "I just ordered a 67 442 W-30 from my dealer!"

What muddies the waters is the OAI package is also called W-30. What this car is is a dealer installed track pack, and additional bolt on beauty parts that came stock on a W-30, including red fenderwells.

Here's the defining factor, the 67 442 W-30, from the factory, was more than the OAI system and the cam. It was, if automatic, a special TH-400. It was a special P type rear differential of only certain high gear options with limited slip. It was specific heads and a specific quadrajet. The engine was blueprinted. The entire powertrain was special, and there was no air conditioning. It also had red fenderwells.

While I have no issue with someone putting a track pack setup on their 66-67 442, I do draw issue with advertising it as a W-30, and putting other parts that came on W-30s only on it. People can be misled, and I am disappointed that an officer of the OCA engages in such shenanigans, as well as with MCACN for considering this car, if they are considering it as stock. Just because the story is the dealer did it; it doesn't mean it should be considered a production option.

I have a 67 442. It has AC and a highway gear. I have a track pack setup, or, most of it. I will put it on the car. I will not put chromed valve covers, oil fill cap, or red fenderwells on it. I will not call it a W-30.
John - I knew my response to Mike would probably trigger a response from you in short order, but I wanted to respond to his question about what is going on with that particular car.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, and like I said to Mike, I really don't know what you should call it, I'll leave that up to guys like you that know much more than I do to settle that debate. I will say this, I agree with all your points. I guess if I were going to give it a classification, I'd simply call it a '67 CS/4-4-2 Track Pack, all of which is true.
Old November 6th, 2023, 10:18 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. Wasn't trying to be a wiseguy. Oddly enough, even if that car had the magic build date I'm searching, that car wouldn't be a candidate because it isn't all original. But other than that I sure wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers!

Work is going well. The robot was broke for about a half hour, but I'm at 36 wheels right now and that's a good showing. Gonna take in the credit union after work and that will take me awhile. The woman I go to see to do all my banking yammers on and on. And since I haven't been in for two months, oy.

Jamesbo I'm on page 11. The colonel has passed. I noticed in the son's thread that he only posted once. Did you ever hear whatever happened to his car or his family? I wonder if Larry still has Sandy's car. I would guess not.

Looks like it's going to be a nice afternoon. I need to go out and measure a couple outside walls of the house to see where I can put a big hole.

Old November 6th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - I knew my response to Mike would probably trigger a response from you in short order...
Old November 6th, 2023, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Thanks Chris. Wasn't trying to be a wiseguy. Oddly enough, even if that car had the magic build date I'm searching, that car wouldn't be a candidate because it isn't all original. But other than that I sure wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers!
Mike - Didn't think you were trying to be a wiseguy for a second. Certainly legitimate questions you asked.

LMAO, nice!
Old November 6th, 2023, 11:14 AM

Hi guys,
A few of you have already checked it out, but for those of you who haven't, I went to a fun judged Car Show yesterday, and there were quite a few very nice and unusual cars. If you want to check them out you can find them here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...5-23-a-175750/
Old November 6th, 2023, 12:16 PM

Mike, sorry I have no idear, The only person [who left] that I keep up with is John
Old November 6th, 2023, 01:30 PM

In regards to the 67 442 "W-30", most Olds guys will call it a Track Pack car, but not a W-30. It wasn't a W-30 when it left the factory, and it isn't one now.
Old November 6th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
In regards to the 67 442 "W-30", most Olds guys will call it a Track Pack car, but not a W-30. It wasn't a W-30 when it left the factory, and it isn't one now.
Dan - I think you, John, and I are all in agreement. It's a '67 4-4-2 Track Pack car to all of us.
Old November 6th, 2023, 06:08 PM

I don't like standard time. It is dark AF at 5 pm.
Old November 6th, 2023, 06:42 PM

I don't like standard time. It is dark AF at 5 pm.
x2! Not quite as big a deal now that I'm retired because I have all day to get things done, but I really hated it when I was still working.
Old November 7th, 2023, 02:36 AM
Always room for one more

I think we should change time once a month, so it's always light at 9pm.

Old November 7th, 2023, 04:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been at it over an hour and I have three wheels done. I guess Tuesdays aren't as motivating as Mondays.

Page 30 of the NEW Good Morning thread. It's March, Ohio is starting to thaw, Jamesbo wants to make a turducken, and Ken is telling jokes about cannibals. Good stuff.

So it's been cold in the mornings, and warm in the afternoon. It's always cold in the shop, so I have my jacket on all day, but then walk out to the car after work and I melt. Soon that won't be an issue.

I might have told you guys that my plan is to start riding my bicycle for excercise(and enjoyment) but first I have to fix it all up. It's been all but forgotten for about 40 years. Yesterday I received tires and tubes that I ordered and now I get to take the bike all apart and clean and polish it, then get the new tire assemblies together. I hope I don't fall off. Actually I'm pretty excited.

Whoa got a wheel. Better get to it quick. Hope everyone has a good day.