The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2023, 05:05 AM

Good morning guys,

Just plain cold here this morning, 23° right now at 0645 and only supposed to get up to 35° this afternoon. We're looking at sunny and 55° Saturday and 60° Sunday though, riding the Midwest roller-coaster.

Got invited to go ice skating (indoor rink) this evening with my youngest daughter and grandson's. Grandson Gabe is trying his hand at ice hockey, so they've been going pretty regularly. I grew up ice skating on the lake right behind my parents house, and took my girls when they were young, but it's been at least 20-years now since I've been on ice skates. If I go I'm sure I'd have a good time, until I bust my ****!

No other big plans for the weekend. OMG, football season is over, and baseball, car, and motorcycle seasons haven't started yet, what in the hell am I going to do with my time??? Better start searching for some good movies to watch at home. I've been wanting to see Top Gun Maverick, I think that one's going to the top of the list.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!
Old February 17th, 2023, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Got about 8-10 inches- now work begins.....
Awww, Party Pooper, let Purple Elvis go out and play first on his snowmobile! The snow will still be there to clean up later!
Old February 17th, 2023, 08:16 AM

Mike, no offense taken. I was just razzin ya.
Old February 17th, 2023, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good morning guys,

Just plain cold here this morning, 23° right now at 0645 and only supposed to get up to 35° this afternoon. We're looking at sunny and 55° Saturday and 60° Sunday though, riding the Midwest roller-coaster.

Got invited to go ice skating (indoor rink) this evening with my youngest daughter and grandson's. Grandson Gabe is trying his hand at ice hockey, so they've been going pretty regularly. I grew up ice skating on the lake right behind my parents house, and took my girls when they were young, but it's been at least 20-years now since I've been on ice skates. If I go I'm sure I'd have a good time, until I bust my ****!

No other big plans for the weekend. OMG, football season is over, and baseball, car, and motorcycle seasons haven't started yet, what in the hell am I going to do with my time??? Better start searching for some good movies to watch at home. I've been wanting to see Top Gun Maverick, I think that one's going to the top of the list.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!
I can't ice skate, or ski, or snowboard, nor water ski, wake board, or roller skate, or skateboard. I can ride a bicycle. I imagine I could ride a motorcycle, but have never tried. I am ok with a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, and wave runner.

I did the math last night, I don't think I have swam in 14 years. I used to be on a team and was a lifeguard for a time. I thought Evansville had poor pools, but there is a very nice facility I learned of last night; I may go sometime, it is Olympic quality, very impressive.
Old February 17th, 2023, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I can't ice skate, or ski, or snowboard, nor water ski, wake board, or roller skate, or skateboard. I can ride a bicycle. I imagine I could ride a motorcycle, but have never tried. I am ok with a 4 wheeler, snowmobile, and wave runner.

I did the math last night, I don't think I have swam in 14 years. I used to be on a team and was a lifeguard for a time. I thought Evansville had poor pools, but there is a very nice facility I learned of last night; I may go sometime, it is Olympic quality, very impressive.
John - I can do all of those things you listed in your first sentence, and you know what, I'd trade all of those skills for having your car knowledge and being able to work on them like you can!

As for the swimming, I used to think I was a decent athlete until I started trying to do extensive lap swimming during the winters to stay in shape. Whew, what a full body workout! Swimming is probably the toughest and most exhausting exercise for me, more than any other type of workout, and it's low impact! I was a Red Cross certified Life Guard for several years when my girls were in Girl Scouts. Their Troop needed a certain number of certified Life Guards to assist in monitoring group swimming activities, canoeing, and summer camp.
Old February 17th, 2023, 12:44 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - ‘Full Swing’ (Netflix)…do it.
Old February 17th, 2023, 01:38 PM

I haven't been getting any notifications from C.O. for a few days, not sure why. Been poking my nose here, but not saying much as i must have caught Chris' virus from a couple of weeks ago..an internet virus. Misssed a couple of days last week because of it, a rarity for me. Dragging butt all week, and I'm about ready to crash again. Mike, my ex brother in law had a toad just like the one Chris posted a pic of. Drove it when i was around twelve years old. Auto with the trans. buttons on the dash of course. A while back, they brought a gal over from plant 3 to plant ten where I work, for continuous improvement. She decided to have a look at the LEAP blades that I was running, and comment on the quality, which she didn't like. I told her that they were fine, and need no further tinkering with. She did not like my response, I retorted that Ron, the lead engineer in our plant, and the final authority on the LEAP blades. He had no issue with them. He would come by with a ten X magnifyer at the beginning of the shift, and inspect the parts, I always asked, How do they look Ron, and his response was "good". I have been working on these blades since we started the program about eight years ago, and I know my ****. Well, that didn't sit well with miss fancy pants, she went and got Ron. hey Ron how's it going? "fine". I see that Courtney has your ear this morning, "yep". and off he went. 20 minutes later here comes Dan, an engineer, who i work with on a regular basis, great guy, good sense of humor. I see Cournry found you, "yep". ya know Ron was just out here, "really?" he replied. he had a look, and told me that he explained things to her. Hmm. 40 minutes later here comes Scott, from plant 3, he holds the same title as Dan, another guy the i have worked with, and a good guy as well. He's looking at the parts, and of course i mentioned that both Ron and Dan had been out here as well. "What?" Off he went up front. She has never bothered me since. Well three strikes and your out! Score: Dan 1, Courtney 0. . Sorry for the long post.
Old February 17th, 2023, 02:14 PM

This an article in Hemmings a few years ago concerning the Corvair, and how how GM defended it, and how it was exonerated, but to no avail. It is a long read. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/202...-his-own-words
Old February 17th, 2023, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Kenneth it's hard to tell from one dimensional words what one thinks about something sometimes. I guess another way I could have put it, find a good thing and stick with it.

Dan I haven't read that article, but I know somewhere around 1973 the NTSB did a study of an early and late Corvair, a Valiant, and a Falcon. They concluded that the Corvair was not any less safe than the others. At that point Ralph didn't give two $hits about it, he had moved on to other things. Ralph has a "Museum of Torts" and has a Corvair in the museum. At the 1980 Corvair convention in Atlanta, he was there and was actually a good sport, he got in someone's car and had his picture taken.

Rain stopped at some point this morning, but it's been cold and windy all day. I've seen conflicting weather reports so I'll just go with what I see at any given moment. Sun did come out this afternoon, which made things a little more bearable.

Old February 17th, 2023, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well three strikes and your out! Score: Dan 1, Courtney 0. . Sorry for the long post.
Dan - Hope ya feel better soon!! Courtney sounds like an A#1 B-otch!
Old February 17th, 2023, 07:27 PM

Dan - Hope ya feel better soon!! Courtney sounds like an A#1 B-otch!
I hate having women be pushed to be in manufacturing. I have no problem with good people, of whatever gender, but a lot of women feel like they have something to prove, and that they have to be "assertive" to be taken seriously. This, of course, translates to being a bitch, when, in reality, it translates to "no bullshit."

There is no need to attempt to raise yourself up by causing controversy by tearing the work of others down when that work is to spec. Be good, on your own, and the respect will come once it is earned.

I just wore it home yesterday since it got colder than the morning and I needed a better jacket, but they gave us a jacket in 07, it was the J.D Quality award gift. I don't wear mine much as it is too heavy for inside the plant other than the coldest days, but I think I need to be mindful of possibly wearing it deliberately to meetings with the plant as there are not all that many left who were there then and theirs hasn't worn out; might help remind some people we're on the same side and I should be heeded.
Old February 18th, 2023, 09:27 AM

I hate having women be pushed to be in manufacturing. I have no problem with good people, of whatever gender, but a lot of women feel like they have something to prove, and that they have to be "assertive" to be taken seriously. This, of course, translates to being a bitch, when, in reality, it translates to "no bullshit."
In her case, she is the biocht type. I also work with many female engineers, and they are pretty cool, and easy to work with.
Old February 18th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Hoe, hoe, hoe...

Old February 18th, 2023, 04:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A beautiful day, and warmish. I'm pleased with what I got done today. First of course I went to Awful house. Then went over to the airport and sat and talked. Then went home and got my sister's car started and out of the garage. Got that side swept out pretty well and got the Imperial in. Trouble is, the car is about 18 inches longer than the garage. So I'm just going to leave the door open. That means that all the neighborhood cats will get in there but it won't be for long. The two parts cars that are on the lift are getting worked on next, and hopefully off to the recycler and the Imperial will fit on that side of the garage with room to spare.

I remember not all that many years ago women were trouble in the workplace because they all watched Oprah and she had told them to hate all men. So the women were just difficult to **** the men off. I don't notice that too much these days, however there are plenty of other groups purposely slowing things down.

Mom didn't have much to fix for dinner so we went to Sonny's. We both like that place a lot but it's quite a drive so we don't go very often. I have a few things I want to look up on the internet and then home early.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old February 18th, 2023, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - ‘Full Swing’ (Netflix)…do it.
I get a kick out of PGA's view of being the "USA moral high ground of sainthood" what a joke, like we have ever been saints...
Competition for dollars has them shakin like a dog shitt'n bones. Good stuff

Old February 18th, 2023, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
I get a kick out of PGA's view of being the "USA moral high ground of sainthood" what a joke, like we have ever been saints...
Competition for dollars has them shakin like a dog shitt'n bones. Good stuff
Completely agree - 100%
Old February 18th, 2023, 04:57 PM

Neat show
Old February 18th, 2023, 05:05 PM
Always room for one more

Oh I totally forgot. Duel is on tonight. Guess I won't be going home early. Gotta go yell at the Valiant. I should be yelling at Dennis Weaver for killing it.

Old February 19th, 2023, 04:47 AM

Wifey went to a baby shower yesterday. The expecting mother and her brother are orphans that we have helped over the years. Their fathers were never in the picture, Their mother died when they were about 7 or 8. Then their grandma raised them until they were 16-17 and then she died. They have done really well and now are 25 and 26. While wife went to shower, brother (Steve) and I went to eat and talk. Then when shower wound down Steve and I went back to shower and visited w/ Steve's sister, Sammy. I am so proud of them, what a tough deal they got. Us old guys are always complaining of this current generation and how lazy they are... Well these 2 young people are amazing.
Old February 19th, 2023, 05:51 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Always nice to hear stories such as these. Thanks for helping them.
Old February 19th, 2023, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I am so proud of them, what a tough deal they got. Us old guys are always complaining of this current generation and how lazy they are... Well these 2 young people are amazing.
Well ya, they had at least one set of positive role models in you and your wife! Great to hear they are doing well, and that you and your wife have been a guiding force in their lives!
Old February 19th, 2023, 07:11 AM

Good morning guys,

What a gorgeous day it's going to be for mid-February here, bright sunshine and mid-60's. It's supposed to stay in the mid-50's to low 60's for the up coming week. It has been an extremely mild winter, and I ain't complaining!

Well, I wimped out and didn't take my daughter up on her invitation to go ice skating on Friday evening. Maybe next time, maybe??? No big plans for me today. I may get started on building my database (Excel Spreadsheet) of 2023 car events. I've been checking and there's not been alot of events posted yet, but they're starting to show up.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old February 19th, 2023, 07:15 AM

Y'all were speaking about swimming a new lines up. Here's my 65+ y.o. certification for 2 miles
Old February 19th, 2023, 08:03 AM

I got a phone call the other evening from the Old Man, garbled and didn't make much sense, couldn't respond to my questions, he had lost his hearing aid and can't hear on the phone, but I did get that he was bleeding and had fallen on the driveway and needed help. I live about 30 miles from the ranch so I called his neighbor and had her check out what was going on while I headed down the hill to his place.
Come to find out he had taken a face plant when he bent over to shut the water off going to the sheep tank. Broke his noes, buggered up his hand, made a mess of his wrist. In general not a good thing for a 96-year-old to do to himself. By the time I got there the neighbor and his caretaker who has just stopped in to say hi had gotten him cleaned up and ready for transport to the immediate care to have him looked after by the doc. He is a tough old bird and is doing fine, a few stitches and a hand wrap and home he went, caretaker stayed with him that night and he made a family dinner that was happening at my place the next evening. They don't make them like that anymore....Tedd
Old February 19th, 2023, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Jim - That is so cool you still have that, thanks for sharing!!!
Old February 19th, 2023, 08:31 AM

Tedd - Sorry to hear about Dad's fall, Ouch!!! You're 100% correct, they don't make em like that anymore!
Old February 19th, 2023, 11:26 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful and 60s here. Just got back from the disaster called Walmart and after I rest I'm gonna go out and work on cars. And, tonight is not a school night because tomorrow is a holiday.

Tedd, I guess you could say the tough get tougher. Though not a great idea to test that theory out. Glad he's doing better and God Bless the people who helped him.

Greg good on you for helping those kids out. What did they do after their grandmother died? Still minors, did they just stay to themselves with help from others? Only the really strong can put up with all that these days. Good for them.

So are you Jimmybo now? Was that the camp which you now own? Mom kept all my school projects, awards, report cards, etc, not only for me but my brother and sister as well. She hasn't looked at any of it in years but she won't give it to us, because she thinks we'll just throw it away.

Duel was good last night but they cut a little out of it. Like when Dennis Weaver is on the phone with his wife and she said the guy at the party last night almost raped her and he didn't do anything about it. Or one of the times the Valiant slams into a bank. That's okay, I could do without seeing that, but it dies in the end anyway.

So I got my sister's car out of the garage and the Imperial in, but since the tail end hangs out I just left the garage door open last night. I think that car is just going to have to sit outside until I get get the other cars out. I saw cats in the garage this morning and that won't do. I don't know why people think their neighbors want to see their cats all the time and don't seem to give a **** when the cats get into people's stuff. I'm not going to get started on all that.

Okay gonna go outside and do something. Even if I don't do anything it will be nice to be outside on a nice day. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old February 19th, 2023, 02:23 PM

In my area the coyotes keep the outdoor cats in check. Just today on the dog walkabout I saw a missing cat poster. I’m fairly sure their cat ended up like this one.

Old February 19th, 2023, 03:18 PM
Always room for one more

Cool

That's what I don't understand. I know there are coyotes in the area yet there are so many loose cats. Maybe I can contract with the coyotes to... well nevermind.
Old February 19th, 2023, 05:01 PM

Seems to me the cats are taking refuge in open garages.
Old February 19th, 2023, 09:28 PM

I am glad someone feeds and houses Trip Hazard, the cat that hangs around my house. I believe he or she is the neighbor's cat and spends nights inside with food and warmth and protection. They have young kids; this cat is almost pathetically friendly and may just want someone to pet it in a calm manner. I have to carry it if I want to move without kicking it. It doesn't climb on my truck, and it keeps the mice down. I would take it personally if a coyote got that cat. I know how to hunt coyotes.
Old February 20th, 2023, 04:53 AM

Sunrise beyond the Mississippi.
Hope ya'll have a great day!

Old February 20th, 2023, 08:44 AM
Jeff

I am glad someone feeds and houses Trip Hazard, the cat that hangs around my house. I believe he or she is the neighbor's cat and spends nights inside with food and warmth and protection. They have young kids; this cat is almost pathetically friendly and may just want someone to pet it in a calm manner. I have to carry it if I want to move without kicking it. It doesn't climb on my truck, and it keeps the mice down. I would take it personally if a coyote got that cat. I know how to hunt coyotes.
I have neighbors that complain on the HOA FB page about cats wandering the hood. I have the same take as you, John... they keep the mice population controlled. I had a mouse in the garage last winter, but no such problem this year. There are at least two different cats roaming around, that my doorbell cam occasionally records. Good kitties, keep it up.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
I have neighbors that complain on the HOA FB page about cats wandering the hood. I have the same take as you, John... they keep the mice population controlled. I had a mouse in the garage last winter, but no such problem this year. There are at least two different cats roaming around, that my doorbell cam occasionally records. Good kitties, keep it up.
Although we live in a subdivision, it is located in a heavily wooded and remote setting, and there is an abundance of wildlife. We have plenty of field mice so I'm thankful for the stray cats, and the Fox, Coyotes, Hawks and Owls that help keep them in check. Plenty of other nuisances too like Armadillos, Squirrels, Raccoons, Rabbits, Skunks and Deer. Haven't seen a Black Bear yet, but they're here in the area now and documented on camera, same for a few Mountain Lions. To me, the biggest nuisance here are the Deer, they're everywhere between our house and the first major road and you have to be extremely careful driving that stretch regardless of the time of day.
Old February 20th, 2023, 10:42 AM

That's 80 lbs of meat right there per deer.
Old February 20th, 2023, 10:50 AM

That's 80 lbs of meat right there per deer.
Ya, but probably +$500 in fines if you get caught discharging a firearm in the City limits, which unfortunately we are! I have a built in tree stand, our deck, and before we put our fence up I had several deer up in the yard that were easily close enough to stick with my bow. The thought did cross my mind, more than once!
Old February 20th, 2023, 10:53 AM
Running On Empty

I generally wake up to 6-12 white tail in the backyard. Besides critters y'all have mentioned I get a fair number of the Mr. No Shoulder varieties.
Old February 20th, 2023, 11:09 AM

I generally wake up to 6-12 white tail in the backyard. Besides critters y'all have mentioned I get a fair number of the Mr. No Shoulder varieties.
Oh, I forgot about the No Shoulders! Plenty of them around here too. Most common ones I see in the subdivision are your common Garter, Ring Necks, and Black Rat Snakes. If you're in the wooded, rocky hillsides, Copperhead are plentiful. At my old house, in the late Spring and early Fall the Copperheads would come down off the rocky hillside to sun themselves on the pool deck. Not a good scenario when you have children running around. We have Eastern Diamondbacks in the area too, but they are not very common until you get about 60-miles south of us.
Old February 20th, 2023, 11:16 AM
Running On Empty

We have Eastern Diamondbacks in the area too, but they are not very common until you get about 60-miles south of us.
That's a fair distance North of their range.
Old February 20th, 2023, 11:54 AM

That's a fair distance North of their range.
Norm - Yes way too far North, you're absolutely correct. I was thinking of the Timber Rattlesnake. Thanks!