The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2023, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - You could send me the image(s) & I can post it/them for you (if you like).

normg@normg.com
or
vintagechief@beaufort-by-the-sea.com
That's an excellent domain. I got a domain in 99. Should have made it shorter, but john@landofjohn.com still runs.
Old February 9th, 2023, 09:28 AM

Mike bring it to the lake and we can put the sand blaster and the engine in the trunk
Old February 9th, 2023, 10:06 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
That's an excellent domain. I got a domain in 99. Should have made it shorter, but john@landofjohn.com still runs.
I hosted a modestly top-level website on each of those domains for many years until each were no longer serving my needs; so, I removed the websites (saving $$) but retain ownership of the domain names. The 1° reason for beaufort-by-the-sea.com (hyphenation) has to do w/ uniqueness. Algorithms rank websites based upon unique nomenclature of the domain name. At one time (years ago) it was the primary method for ranking how a domain name (in a search engine) moved to the top of the list when an end-user searched key words. I created numerous key word lists w/ various meta tags so when a search engine robot searched my domains, they not only associated my websites but I was provided a monetary remuneration (selling other domain name products [basically referred to as Affiliate Marketing]). It was fun for many years, but I no longer have any need to continue having fun in this regard; and, I'm honestly not a developer (but I used to work with a large number of great developers). Search engine algorithms have changed for many of the search engines and I don't have any desire to remain w/in this field.
Old February 9th, 2023, 10:13 AM
Running On Empty

Gorgeous weather today ~70°F. Set up water hose & electric cord for top-level of scaffolding, adjusted some scaffolding boards & plan next to begin scrubbing, sanding, caulking, priming/painting moving forward - might get some done today. Tee-time tomorrow 8:16am & a Super Bowl Scramble Golf Tournament this Sunday 12:30 Shotgun Start. Currently, they're calling for 100% rain on Sunday.
Old February 9th, 2023, 12:26 PM
Jeff

We had a company event for our Finance / Controlling group in the former location of the Chrysler Museum. I didn't even know they closed it, then reused it for Maserati. Why they'd even bother giving that arm of the company a NA HQ, they don't sell enough here. "Hey, let's have some unnecessary overhead costs." "Sounds like a great idea! Let's do it!"

The Stellantis NA HQ is further south down I-75 by 3 exits, so I rarely make it past there anymore. I have been in there to visit the customer a couple of times, and it is a MASSIVE complex. I would need a map to get around.
Old February 9th, 2023, 01:08 PM

Important - Possible Phishing Attempt

Jim, others, when opening a thread on CO, I'm getting a yellow background banner at the top of the thread that say's:

"Is your email up to date?

Is your email still xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com? Keeping a current email helps ensure you don't lose access to your forum account."

Below this statement, there is a hotlink on the left to respond "Yes it is" and one on right that says "Upate your email", or something to that effect?

Is anyone else seeing this yellow background banner with the message above, or has some hacker infiltrated the sight and is phishing for information???
Old February 9th, 2023, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim, others, when opening a thread on CO, I'm getting a yellow background banner at the top of the thread that say's:

Is your email still xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com? Keeping a current email helps ensure you don't lose access to your forum account."
Below this statement, there is a hotlink on the left to respond "Yes it is" and one on right that says "Upate your email", or something to that effect?
Is anyone else seeing this yellow background banner with the message above, or has some hacker infiltrated the sight and is phishing for information???
No. I see no yellow background banner & no message. If this were a CO website issue, we'd surely see posts by other members - we do not.
I suspect this is an issue on your PC and/or device you are employing to access CO.
Without "very specific" screenshots & details, it's difficult for me to ascertain exactly what this yellow background banner w/ message looks like and the message which you can't remember. Post an image of the EXACT information you are seeing.
Old February 9th, 2023, 02:38 PM

I see no ad banners because I run some mean and nasty ad blockers.
Old February 9th, 2023, 02:39 PM
Running On Empty

I see no ad banners because I run some mean and nasty ad blockers.
As do I. I never see ANY advertisements - nada, never, none.
Old February 9th, 2023, 03:07 PM

No. I see no yellow background banner & no message. If this were a CO website issue, we'd surely see posts by other members - we do not.
I suspect this is an issue on your PC and/or device you are employing to access CO.
Without "very specific" screenshots & details, it's difficult for me to ascertain exactly what this yellow background banner w/ message looks like and the message which you can't remember. Post an image of the EXACT information you are seeing.
Norm - I've been out of pocket for a little while and have just got back online, and the first thing I was going to do was take a screen shot. I accessed several short threads and the banner along with associated questions have disappeared. As you suggested, it must have been specific to my device, I suspect Google or Samsung. Sorry for getting everyone alarmed, but I figured better safe than sorry.
Old February 9th, 2023, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - I've been out of pocket for a little while and have just got back online, and the first thing I was going to do was take a screen shot. I accessed several short threads and the banner along with associated questions have disappeared. As you suggested, it must have been specific to my device, I suspect Google or Samsung. Sorry for getting everyone alarmed, but I figured better safe than sorry.
I 'suspect' it was an advertisement banner, hopefully; as opposed to a real piece of Trojan s/w.
Old February 9th, 2023, 04:15 PM

Yes, I saw that this afternoon. I am on my work computer.
Old February 9th, 2023, 04:25 PM

I got the same thing Chris, on CO and also on Ford Truck Enthusiasts. I hit yes (the email address was correct) and it went away. Hope I didn't screw up....
Old February 9th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Running On Empty

Supposedly a member of this forum (below URL) got maybe same today...

Is your email up to date?
Old February 9th, 2023, 04:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I got the same thing Chris, on CO and also on Ford Truck Enthusiasts. I hit yes (the email address was correct) and it went away. Hope I didn't screw up....
I just logged onto Ford Truck Enthusiasts (I know you know I'm a member, Greg); and, I have absolutely no banners, no messages, no question....etc., etc., etc. I will note both CO & Ford Truck Enthusiasts are owned, managed and hosted by LLC dba Internet Brands.
Old February 9th, 2023, 05:46 PM

I will note both CO & Ford Truck Enthusiasts are owned, managed and hosted by LLC dba Internet Brands.
Looks to me like LLC dba Internet Brands is looking to market/sell our email addresses to other entities so they can bombard us with advertisements/offers!
Old February 9th, 2023, 05:50 PM
Running On Empty

Looks to me like LLC dba Internet Brands is looking to market/sell our email addresses to other entities so they can bombard us with advertisements/offers!
Not sure - difficult to evaluate since I have not yet seen the page we're discussing. I have no clue if it's an advertisement or a bonafide security measure (question) - which it could very well be. Complete 100% speculation at this point.
Old February 9th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Running On Empty

From the F150 Forum, today....

Old February 9th, 2023, 06:10 PM

From the F150 Forum, today....
As I said earlier, it is no longer showing up on CO for me on any thread I select. I never did respond to the inquiry by selecting either of the response buttons/hotlinks. This is an odd one???
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

As I said earlier, it is no longer showing up on CO for me on any thread I select. I never did respond to the inquiry by selecting either of the response buttons/hotlinks. This is an odd one???
I read what you said earlier. Not sure why it's odd. Many, many, many, many, many, many websites all over the entire world display the EXACT same message for many, many, many, many, many reasons. It's essentially a COTS message which can be invoked on many websites. I didn't write the code and I'm not a dba Internet Brands developer or administrator so I can't say with any reason whatsoever why you received the message.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

It's clearly legitimate as was identified in my link in Post #46858.

Old February 9th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Running On Empty

I'll offer up a small diatribe.
The CO website exists as the size of a single bacterial cell on the pimple of an Asian Elephant's a$$. The CO website is crude, rudimentary, inadequately administered, incorrectly & abhorrently configured. In some respects I'm surprised it's running at all. IMO/FWIW, LLC dba Internet Brands often uses the CO website as a 'test bed' for new developers and as a training ground for LLC dba Internet Brands employees who are going to actually manage one of the 'for profit' LLC dba Internet Brands websites. You can look LLC dba Internet Brands yourself to ascertain where, in fact, the bread & butter is being made by LLC dba Internet Brands - it is NOT the CO website.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:38 PM

I read what you said earlier. Not sure why it's odd?
Odd because:
1. Not everyone has gotten/seen the same message, which makes me wonder whether it truly is COTS?
2. I've been on this site for over 3-years now and no one has ever asked before.
3. If any of us had changed our email address, we'd no longer get email updates from threads we've subscribed to and would already know something is amiss.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:40 PM
Running On Empty

Odd because:
1. Not everyone has gotten/seen the same message, which makes me wonder whether it truly is COTS?
2. I've been on this site for over 3-years now and no one has ever asked before.
3. If any of us had changed our email address, we'd no longer get email updates from threads we've subscribed to and would already know something is amiss.

Read Post #46862 again.
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:46 PM

Read Post #46862 again.
Oh, I get it now, what we're seeing is the collateral damage of a Royal Cluster Phuque!
Old February 9th, 2023, 06:48 PM
Running On Empty

Oh, I get it now, what we're seeing is the collateral damage of a Royal Cluster Phuque!

Old February 9th, 2023, 06:59 PM

Norm - Have you ever considered Botox, you're not aging well?
Old February 9th, 2023, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

Finally, to put an end to this, same URL link as above in Post #46862

An IB Staff member attempting to cover their own *** by suggesting they discovered a "...slight issue..." which means they didn't know WTF they were doing and testing it to begin with. These guys are supposed to have a developer test environment to test configuration changes, etc. F'ing bunch of *******.

Old February 9th, 2023, 08:41 PM

Finally, to put an end to this, same URL link as above in Post #46862 . . .
F'ing bunch of *******.
My sentiments exactly!
Old February 10th, 2023, 07:40 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been here since 4. I was really fighting the touch and go's there for awhile, so I kicked back and had a power nap. Way much better. Have a feeling I'm not going to have the opportunity to have a nap when I get home.

I haven't seen any banner. I always feel like I should run some ad blocker but haven't yet. They aren't too bad on this site. Now, the A Body Plymouth site I look at has gone mad with the ads. And they badger people to become a "Gold Member" which is 40 bucks a year. The hook there is you don't see the ads.

The weather was supposed to be bad from yesterday through Sunday. It was raining early this morning but not now, the thing says partly sunny. Hm. I would have liked to get brake lines put on the blue van so my nephew could help me bleed brakes. Eh, they ain't going anywhere.

Sister will be here this afternoon. Not sure what the plan is for the weekend but I bet I don't get to do anything I want to do. I think this is more of a fact-finding mission, to see if I'm taking good enough care of Mom.

Ug I think we're going to run this thing to the end. Well, I'm getting paid who cares. Have a good day everyone.

Old February 10th, 2023, 08:08 AM

I think there are large parts of the 90s early 2000s internet decaying. Web forums are mostly out, or populated by mostly old guys. I can't ever find written instructions on anything, everything is a 5 minute youtube video with some guy with an effeminate millennial voice who has to thank his sponsor and talk about why he is making the video for 3 minutes, then 30 seconds of space where the useful information COULD be, then telling me to like comment and subscribe. The only ones I DO like are videos of engine compartments that show exactly what I want and how to get there. I blame this on the de-evolving intelligence and attention span of our youths. Even youtube videos are passe. It has to be a "short" on that chinese clock app.
Old February 10th, 2023, 08:17 AM

I completely agree. Ten or fifteen years ago I pulled the dash out of my Lincoln MK VIII using written instructions with pictures found online. Now I need to pull the dash on my Jeep and all I find are videos. I can't print out a video and have it on the floorboard along with my tools as I do the work. And here at work, upper management sends out e-mails with a link to a video with their announcement instead of having the information actually written in the e-mail that they send out.

everything is a 5 minute youtube video with some guy with an effeminate millennial voice who has to thank his sponsor and talk about why he is making the video for 3 minutes, then 30 seconds of space where the useful information COULD be, then telling me to like comment and subscribe.
Yeah, ain't nobody got time for that.

Last edited by Fun71; February 10th, 2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old February 10th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Always room for one more

Old February 10th, 2023, 08:23 AM
Jeff

I think there are large parts of the 90s early 2000s internet decaying. Web forums are mostly out, or populated by mostly old guys. I can't ever find written instructions on anything, everything is a 5 minute youtube video with some guy with an effeminate millennial voice who has to thank his sponsor and talk about why he is making the video for 3 minutes, then 30 seconds of space where the useful information COULD be, then telling me to like comment and subscribe. The only ones I DO like are videos of engine compartments that show exactly what I want and how to get there. I blame this on the de-evolving intelligence and attention span of our youths. Even youtube videos are passe. It has to be a "short" on that chinese clock app.
Cheer up, John... it's Friday. You were a sentence or two away from shouting, "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Everyone is trying to monetize those videos, it drives me crazy. Also, when they show you what they are doing, but they don't actually KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Wind up wasting a couple of minutes before you realize that this is NOT a tutorial video that will help you resolve your problem, but rather just some dummy that knows how to record and post something on the internet.

The last experience I ran into with trying to find out "how-to", was with the electric parking brake on my Lacrosse. There are sooooooooo many videos of guys rigging up wiring to a 9-volt battery, to run the electric motor out, so they can compress the caliper. What struck me as particularly stupid was that they would run the risk of breaking the connector, or at minimum, snapping the lock on the connector, to unplug the motor, rather than look up the procedure to put the brakes into "service mode" without the use of a scan tool.

I will only like/favorite a video if the person is clearly knowledgeable, and straight to the point. The likelihood of that person having other useful how-to's is high, so I'd rather search that dude's videos before watching a bunch of other sh*t.

Old February 10th, 2023, 08:24 AM
Jeff

Sweet Brown... a legend. Wonder how her bronchitis is doing?
Old February 10th, 2023, 09:17 AM

Mike - Hope you enjoy your weekend with the family.

John and Jeff - Pretty amazing the latest generation can even read at all with the way everything is spoon fed to them via videos!
Old February 10th, 2023, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Sweet Brown... a legend. Wonder how her bronchitis is doing?
She got remixed.

Old February 10th, 2023, 10:13 AM

Well I'm tired of the crickets, The tarp the dirt is sitting on is gonna kill the grass. If/When they decide WTF they are gonna do they are gonna have to pay another opining fee I'm covering up the grave today empty
Old February 10th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

Yep...late for their own funeral.
Old February 11th, 2023, 06:01 AM

I dreamed I was out in the cemetery and a funeral arrived didn't know was coming. Turned out it wasn't a funeral just a large crown [including priest] to pick out a grave