The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2023, 11:11 PM

Norm All Houses with a dirt path w/o a side walk until you got to the major intersection of Peachtree and Piedmont. One of our neighbor's was the 1st house that converted to commercial [pancake house] When he sold he moved up the street about 5 blocks Brilliant move 10 years later sold for a medical building
Old February 5th, 2023, 03:12 AM

Mike I know you have a thing about stopping traffic for funeral processions. Yesterday about 50 of us drove almost 20 miles from North Avenue on down town to Northside drive to Mount Parron to Lake forest to Arlington Cemetery in Sandy Springs. Id say about half of the people driving in them opposite lanes stopped to the side of the road. The procession had about about 5 motor cycles cops leap frogging ahead of us to the stop lights ahead to stop traffic. I was most impressed with a guy on a bike stopped and removed his helmet. Reminded me of Smokey and the bandits Chris/Norm If you have time check out the pastries on the Henris menu
Old February 5th, 2023, 04:27 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Yum, yum. I think I ate at the Henri's in Marietta w/ my late friend (Mark) when he was attending Marshal Law School & living in Roswell - we sat along the outdoor area. I checked out the pastries menu - looks delicious. You're rocking my memory counters. I made something once - marscapone. Yep, I did. Mom's family was a large holstein/swine agricultural family. For $hits & giggles I asked Mom to make butter indicating I'd like for her to validate all these stories of her & her sisters who used to make (churn) butter & cottage cheese when they were growing up the old fashioned way. Long story - we put together the recipes & equipment and we made both butter & cottage cheese. One of our family's friends/neighbors was Ann Lipinski. Ann and her husband (Lou) made fresh cannolis. I learned marscapone was a type of cream cheese. I wanted to try to make it. Making any from of cream and cream products is an interesting form of cooking.
Old February 5th, 2023, 04:52 AM

Norm I have a Daisy churn but I don't use it often
Old February 5th, 2023, 05:56 AM
Running On Empty

Classic churn, Jim. Has most likely seen several gallons buttermilk pass through those paddles.
Old February 5th, 2023, 06:44 AM

My grandmother had a large metal one that would hold about 5 gallons but it got away from me
Old February 5th, 2023, 07:41 AM

Jim - I had already checked out the bakery products when I was on their website previously checking out the sandwiches, but failed to mention it. Everything looks amazing!

Grandson Gabe's family b-day party is today at noon. I'm looking forward to that, although his turning 10 makes me feel pretty old! I am however looking forward to when he gets a little older because I intend to pass down my guns and hunting equipment to him and his brother Keegan. His Dad and I are teaching them. Gabe is in an archery club and is already very good with a compound bow, and a very good shot with his air rifle.

Hope you guys have a great day!
Old February 5th, 2023, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

Spent the morning doing 'stuff'. Golf game tomorrow (11:16am) looks promising. Currently, suffering painful withdrawal symptoms.
Old February 5th, 2023, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Spent the morning doing 'stuff'. Golf game tomorrow (11:16am) looks promising. Currently, suffering painful withdrawal symptoms.
Norm - It would even be pretty nice for you to play here today or tomorrow. Bright sunshine, no wind, and highs near 60° both days. Just gorgeous for the beginning of February! I'll take all of this I can get!
Old February 5th, 2023, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I like what you've done w/ your backyard...

Old February 5th, 2023, 09:44 AM

Hey guys,

I bought this same exact tool set just to keep in my 4-4-2. It has both metric & SAE sockets, open end wrenches, and Allen wrenches. Currently on sale at Harbor Freight for $40 if you're interested in something like this and have a Harbor Freight near you. Lifetime warranty on all the tools.. Here's a link:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ece-63248.html

Old February 5th, 2023, 10:19 AM
Jeff

Chris, sorry about the bad news. Hope they caught it early enough.

Was at Mom's yesterday, and she had been going through pictures. Found some photos of Dad's 68 442 that started my love of Olds. Unfortunately, just the one head-on shot featuring the car, the other two pics are just glimpses parked next the the 76 Monte. Thought I'd share here. Car was brown when Dad bought it, he did some body work (that definitely included bondo), and it got an Earl Scheib paint job. He sold it shortly after this, and a week after the sale, it had an engine fire.

Old February 5th, 2023, 10:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from Walmart. This was Mom's first time out of the house since before New Years. She did fine with the pickup and the little cart at the store.

Chris I looked for your pizza but it wasn't there. Maybe a northern thing. Anything that says Chicago on it isn't real popular around here. By the way, I'm glad you're raising men.

Jamesbo I had a whole diatribe written out about the funeral processioners, but I deleted it because I thought it might offend you. Actually since I work dayshift now and am not out during the day, I haven't seen a funeral for years.

Beautiful out. Gonna clean out the pickup truck a little and then hang some pictures for Mom. I should just sit out on the porch and enjoy the day. Nah, got lots to do.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old February 5th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Always room for one more

Nice looking cars Jeff. I've never owned a Monte Carlo but have driven a few like that, and it's neat looking out over that long hood.

Old February 5th, 2023, 10:51 AM
Running On Empty

Jeff - I like the pictures of the 4-4-2 & the Monte Carlo. I wish I had some pictures from 1969-1973 of my '67 4-4-2 but no luck. One week after selling the engine caught fire? I think lots of cars in the mid-west got the Earl Scheib paint job.
Old February 5th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Norm I make GREAT pimento cheese sandwiches also to eat in my back yard Chris, Why do you lug around metric tools in you car? Mike Im way too old to get offended rant away. Lets ax Norm and Chris if this is just a southern thing [pulling over and stopping your car when a funeral procession comes up the opposite side of the road]
Old February 5th, 2023, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Jim, I was never cold while riding, with my Purple Elvis suit, helmet and heated grips/gloves actually can get too hot, now when you stop and remove gear- yeah it's cold out! Chris, yep we trailered our machines up to ******* (actually Otsego Lake), rode up to Indian River, over to Jordan valley then back to lake and across it.
Greg - Pretty sure I've posted a couple of these previously; but your recent fore into ******* brought back some memories. As some may recall I owned some land in ******* for ~40 years and sold that land ~7 years ago. The alternator went Tango Uniform on me on the Interstate outside Indian River, MI. While they guys at the shop were performing the R&R of my alternator I had some time to walk around Indian River. Thankfully it was very pleasant outdoors and the ice cream was tasty.

Old February 5th, 2023, 11:12 AM
Jeff

Jeff - I like the pictures of the 4-4-2 & the Monte Carlo. I wish I had some pictures from 1969-1973 of my '67 4-4-2 but no luck. One week after selling the engine caught fire? I think lots of cars in the mid-west got the Earl Scheib paint job.
Yeah, hard to know for sure what happened. Dad could not recall the details, that was back in '77 (you can actually see the date written on back of pics bleeding through). Funny, the '76 Monte wound up getting the same black Earl Scheib treatment in the mid 80's. The underhood area on those mid 70's cars was ridiculous. I remember standing in the engine bay of the Monte, taking the alternator off to be replaced.

Found some other pics of Dad's 70's era vehicles, but they aren't Olds-related.
Old February 5th, 2023, 11:17 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
Bring it. This is 'The Clubhouse' I think we expect non-related stories (i.e. Wal-Mart, Awful House, vehicles floating in the water, 4x4 critters & food).
Old February 5th, 2023, 12:33 PM

Chris, sorry about the bad news. Hope they caught it early enough.
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated! Cool old pics of the 4-4-2 and Monte, thanks for sharing!
Old February 5th, 2023, 12:36 PM

Yeah, hard to know for sure what happened. Dad could not recall the details, that was back in '77 (you can actually see the date written on back of pics bleeding through). Funny, the '76 Monte wound up getting the same black Earl Scheib treatment in the mid 80's. The underhood area on those mid 70's cars was ridiculous. I remember standing in the engine bay of the Monte, taking the alternator off to be replaced.

I stood inside the engine bay of mine and did the same thing this past summer along with a lot else.

Mike, they drive well. Definitely a cruiser. That long hood is all style; it's like, you might not be the fastest guy cruising down the street, but you got the longest...you know what.
Old February 5th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm I make GREAT pimento cheese sandwiches also to eat in my back yard Chris, Why do you lug around metric tools in you car? Mike Im way too old to get offended rant away. Lets ax Norm and Chris if this is just a southern thing [pulling over and stopping your car when a funeral procession comes up the opposite side of the road]
Jim - I bought that set primarily because it has about everything you might ever need within a sturdy self contained unit. Ya, you're right, I don't need the metric stuff for the 4-4-2, but it came with it, plus if we're going on a trip in the Hyundai SUV I can throw the set in the back and I'm covered there too.

I have never seen cars on the opposite side of a 2 lane road pull over for a funeral procession here in St. Louis.

Old February 5th, 2023, 12:45 PM

Jeff, nice 442, meh the Monte is just OK. But I'm sure the Monte was the new car at the time so the pics were of it. IMO those 73-77 Montes were butt ugly-- but actually more cars were ugly in the middle 70's than being sharp. A terrible time for the auto enthusiast!! Norm, yep I remember those pics. You remember I posted a pic of the old snowmobile sign at Faye's in Grayling? Well I went thru Grayling a few weeks ago and the sign is gone- motel is still there though.
Old February 5th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - I was on Google (snooping) a couple weeks ago and did a Streets View of Faye's and noticed the same thing - snowmobile gone.
Old February 5th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Running On Empty

Permanently Closed

Closed

Gone
Old February 5th, 2023, 02:08 PM

Grandson Gabe and me at his 10th b-day party this afternoon, his brother Keegan seated behind him, and my youngest Blaire (Gabe's mom) and Gabe's Great Grandpa (on my Ex's side) in the backround
Old February 5th, 2023, 02:16 PM

Chris, Nice looking crew
Old February 5th, 2023, 02:28 PM

Chris, Nice looking crew
Thanks Jim!
Old February 5th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Running On Empty

Chris, Nice looking crew
x2
Old February 5th, 2023, 03:28 PM

x2
Thanks Norm!
Old February 5th, 2023, 03:45 PM
Always room for one more

Glad the party was a success Chris. Maybe I'll throw myself a birthday party this year.

Had pizza for dinner. Pizza Hut. Haven't had pizza in a long time. Still a couple of pieces I can take to work.

My favorite Monte Carlo, aside from the original of course, is the 81-85. Maybe 84. Like anything else, Chevy wanted to update the cars without doing anything to them, so they replaced the four headlights with the one glass lense and then put bulbs in them. Looked dumb. The Caprice got that treatment in 86, the Cutlass in 87. Then after that every Cutlass since the dawn of time had to have the "Euro look" front end stuck on it. Yick.

Busy week coming up. I've got an eye appointment, Mom has an ortho appointment, and my sister and to be determined other family coming for the weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice, so I'm really, really going to try to get something done on a couple cars. Don't expect anything drastic at work.

Old February 5th, 2023, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
...my sister and to be determined other family...
to be determined other family
Mike - Lost me on that one...

Old February 5th, 2023, 08:26 PM

Some family, which specific ones to be determined, are visiting.
Old February 5th, 2023, 08:28 PM
Running On Empty

Ah...gotcha. Thanks, John.
Old February 6th, 2023, 03:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

John you are correct. Whoever it turns out to be, one of them is going to get to help me bleed the brakes on the blue van. Won't they like that.

Well it's Monday and the lead isn't here. Big surprise. Well, things will run better. No one seems to be eager to get started so I think I'll mosey over to the other department's little camp store and get myself something to drink.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old February 6th, 2023, 04:04 AM

Mike - Thanks for your comment on the grandson's b-day party. Maybe plan a trip for yourself to visit friends on your b-day this year, that would be a fun way to celebrate it. I always enjoyed b-days until I hit my 60th, that one bothered me. I'm thinking 70 will bother me even more, but it sure as hell beats the alternative! Probably would not even do anything to celebrate mine now if my kids didn't insist.

Sounds like you'll have a busy week, hope you have a good one!
Old February 6th, 2023, 04:42 AM

I think I'm gonna follow Norms lead and go smack whitey after it warms up. Have a funeral at 11 then hit the Links [ not really Links]
Old February 6th, 2023, 04:46 AM
Running On Empty

Great idea Mister Jim
Old February 6th, 2023, 05:08 AM
Always room for one more

Well that was fun. We have a few wheels signed, but for the last hour we've been idle because the machine that brings the tires to the robot is broke. Lucky it's almost break time...

My first birthday away from home was when I turned 30. I had just moved to Atlanta, didn't have any friends, and I was at work. I was so depressed. I thought, I have 10 years to get over myself because if I felt that way when I turned 40 I'd probably want to cut my throat. Well, I couldn't wait to turn 40. My friends from Australia came over, we went to Mom's and had some people over, and had a great time. Mom fixed all my favorite food, we got to use the good dishes, had champaign, so much fun. Turning 50 was a non-issue. I suspect turning 60 will be about the same.

Jamesbo I was paying attention. It's only "links" if it's next to water.

I think I'll go for a walk. But not outside. I'll let the Brady Bunch do that.

Old February 6th, 2023, 05:42 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I probably asked you this before. What's the current going price for a Gator. One like yours, a 6 wheeled one not the dune racer looking one. What can I tow with it? Can I tow cars around the yard? How much can the dump bed lift?