The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Now 4 home runs by the same team in one inning, that's something!
That's a MLB record. And, the manner in which they got it was crazy w/ the one homer declared a foul ball by inches.
Old October 12th, 2023, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That's a MLB record. And, the manner in which they got it was crazy w/ the one homer declared a foul ball by inches.
I assumed it was a record. I'll have to watch the re-cap.
Old October 12th, 2023, 01:31 PM

Norm - I watched a CBS video recap or the homeruns, pretty awesome! The Dodgers pitcher that gave up all four, Lance Lynn used to pitch for the Cardinals several years ago. He's been in the majors a long time, since 2009.
Old October 12th, 2023, 02:08 PM

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...vista-cruiser/
Old October 12th, 2023, 02:12 PM
Running On Empty

I know a guy who has the identical model...same colors & everything. Who'd have thought two could exist?
Old October 12th, 2023, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I know a guy who has the identical model...same colors & everything. Who'd have thought two could exist?
And both guy's have the same name, who'd a thunk???
Old October 12th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

Someone actually posted the comment:

In picture 39, is that little sign to not roll down the windows with speeds over 100mph a real factory thing? And why not?
Norm. Ya don't wanta have all the yard apes sucked out of the windows

Last edited by Jamesbo; October 13th, 2023 at 03:56 AM.
Old October 12th, 2023, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
And both guy's have the same name, who'd a thunk???
I'm starting to wonder if it's the same guy who owns two identical vehicles.
Old October 12th, 2023, 03:45 PM

I bought ALL my plumbing and appliance form City Plumbing and electrical supply when I built my Lake House So far, the instant hot, the fridge and now the oven have gone TU [10 Years old] I just love it when I call them and their response is We don't sell that anymore therefore we don't.service it I would have preferred PHUQUE YOU SUCKER Today the service manager said, We need they model, serial #. Me Where can I locate the serial Number Him How did you spell the name of the stove?
Old October 12th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I bought ALL my plumbing and appliance form City Plumbing and electrical supply when I built my Lake House So far, the instant hot, the fridge and now the oven have gone TU [10 Years old] I just love it when I call them and their response is We don't sell that anymore therefore we don't.service it I would have preferred PHUQUE YOU SUCKER Today the service manager said, We need they model, serial #. Me Where can I locate the serial Number Him How did you spell the name of the stove?
I'll hold him down while you beat his A$$.
Old October 12th, 2023, 04:49 PM

Who'd have thought two could exist?
It's deja vu all over again.
Old October 13th, 2023, 02:23 AM

Headed norte at 1st light. Have a great weekend Olds friends. Feel free to bid all ya want

Last edited by Jamesbo; October 13th, 2023 at 03:54 AM.
Old October 13th, 2023, 05:07 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Enjoy the lake.
Old October 13th, 2023, 05:15 AM

Headed norte at 1st light. Have a great weekend Olds friends. Feel free to bid all ya want
Jim - Be safe and enjoy the lake!
Old October 13th, 2023, 11:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Dreary but at least the rain has stopped. Got the weekly laundry to do and whatever else I can get into while I'm waiting.

Jamesbo is that a no reserve auction? A few inane comments for sure. That's why I never sell anything. I don't want to hear what anyone has to say.

Well not much to report today. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old October 13th, 2023, 01:39 PM

Hi guys,

Very overcast and spitting rain from time to time, mid-60's, and just dreary. More of the same forecast for tomorrow, without the threat of rain, but we'll be lucky if we see 60°. I wanted to go to the final cruise-in of the season at the Frozen Custard place near me tomorrow evening, but I'm not sure if I want to go sit in high 50's, overcast, and a 15mph breeze for a couple hours. It's not sounding very appealing right now.

My oldest Grandson Gabe is playing basketball again and I'm going to one of his games tomorrow morning at 9am. He's also playing ice hockey right now, and I may go to one of those games on Sunday, depending on what time it is. I'm really excited to see him play, I've seen him on roller blades several times and he can really fly! His Mom say's he's the same on ice skates. The hockey season lasts all winter, so I don't need to be in a rush to get to some of those games right away.

Wife is spending the night with the granddaughters again tomorrow night, so I'll need to run her over there mid-day tomorrow and pick her up early Sunday morning. I'll be batching it with the pups tomorrow afternoon/evening. Sounds like a whole lot of football and cold ones are on tap for tomorrow evening. Lots to do, and only so much time to do it, but I certainly won't be bored, and I ain't working!

Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

Old October 13th, 2023, 02:16 PM

Well, I got the Hyundai back. It looks like they did a decent job. Unfortunately it's raining, and not the best lighting to check out the paint work. From what I could tell, it looks like they matched the silver paint pretty well. The rental was $40 a day, insurance only covered $20 a day, so I was expecting a $220.00 fee to make up the difference. Nope, they accepted what the insurance company paid, and I owed nothing. Cool! The temps here have fallen to about 10° below normal for the last week, in the low to mid 50's for the most part, with a couple of 60° days thrown in. I mention this because last Saturday, I took a cruise up Senic Dr. which runs along the Lake Michigan shoreline, meaning that with an offshore breeze, it will be a bit nippy. I drove by Muskegon State Park, which sits behind the dunes on Lake Michigan, and the campground was full! Tents, campers, and RV's. A hardy bunch indeed.
Old October 13th, 2023, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, I got the Hyundai back. It looks like they did a decent job. Unfortunately it's raining, and not the best lighting to check out the paint work. From what I could tell, it looks like they matched the silver paint pretty well. The rental was $40 a day, insurance only covered $20 a day, so I was expecting a $220.00 fee to make up the difference. Nope, they accepted what the insurance company paid, and I owed nothing. Cool!
Dan - Glad it initially looks like they did a good job on your car, and that you caught a break on the rental! Hope it still looks good in better lighting,
Old October 14th, 2023, 08:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another dreary day. It's supposed to be sunny this afternoon. We'll see. When the rain comes I always get this feeling that it will never be sunny again.

Nothing planned for the day. Gotta mail some letters then I think I'll go over to my house and see what I can get into. I can tell you I should have gone back home long before now. It doesn't matter that I'm 56 years old, we've reverted to I have to have permission to do anything and Mom always says no. It will aggravate things. I can't visit my friends in Alabama because of the long car ride. But I can sit at home and watch TV all afternoon. Or, I can't go see my friends because I'll overdo it. But he can come here and help me move furniture. I can guarantee you a year from now she'll be saying the same things.

I think I've figured out why the Imperial always needs to be jumped off. I put the battery charger on just long enough to get it started, and even though I let it idle for an hour, it doesn't charge the battery enough to sustain itself. Then in a couple days it won't start. Because it still isn't charged up enough. I think I'll put the charger on for a good couple hours and see if that helps things.

Okay gotta get rolling. Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Old October 14th, 2023, 07:21 PM
Always room for one more

Well it turned out to be a beautiful afternoon and it's nice out now. Piddled around at my house this afternoon, didn't get much done. That's okay.

So I wonder if someone can help me with a repair. The previous owner of my house did a "custom" job on the garage door. The ceiling is really high in the garage but it's a standard door. The guy put in a two post lift, and when he did he redid the tracks for the garage door to go up to the ceiling and then across, so the cars on the lift could go up more than a couple of feet. There are no springs, he used weight lifting weights as counter weights, one group on each side, and ran a cable through them held with vise grips. Now I see that on one side the cable is fraying, right where it rests on the pulley. It's only a couple strands broke but there aren't all that many anyway. How can I repair this? Can I get some cable and put a patch over the bad place, and swage it in? Do I have to run a whole new cable? That would be tough, it's a mickey mouse rigged up thing for sure. One of these days that cable will break and who knows what the door will do. Not sure a garage door man would touch this.

No Walmart lunacy tomorrow. Mom wants to go to Cracker Barrel. Sounds good. I could use some country fried steak. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow so I might patch the driveway. I've got about 600 pounds of cement that's been in the back of the van for years. It isn't any good for anything structural, but I can fill a few holes with it and it will be okay for awhile.

Chris don't drink too much beer.

Old October 15th, 2023, 04:33 AM

Mike you can get that small cable and really small clamps at a home or hardware place. The clamps look like miniature muffler clamps. I'm not sure if the cable comes off a reel or is made with ends crimped on, but you can make them any length you want using the clamps. A pic would really help here... You can get all that stuff, pulleys, etc. Some of the really old doors used weights instead of springs, sounds sorta like you have. If you know of a good garage door specialty place, take a pic and take it to them. I'll bet they could advise you. Be careful- those doors are heavier than you think!!
Old October 15th, 2023, 04:51 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I thought of the method Greg described which would work if done correctly. The problem, if I understand your scenario, is the fact the wire cable (strands) need to pass through a pulley if I'm not mistaken. Albeit, it would be almost impossible to get any of these clamps to pass through a pulley. You might not have to replace the entire cable if you could cut out the bad broken section and install new steel braided wire and secure the two pieces together w/ clamps. Can't see what you're working on so tough to consider other suggestions. Here are several types of clamps to consider.

Old October 15th, 2023, 05:03 AM
Running On Empty

And, as Greg noted - you can purchase steel wound braided cable at any length from almost any hardware store. I wouldn't think it should take you long to simply replace the cable.
Old October 15th, 2023, 07:16 AM

Really, the best thing to do is run a new cable. The system could be zeroed with the door down and the weights sat on something, and a cable pulled through chasing the old one. However, it's worth noting that 1/8 inch aircraft has a breaking strength of 2000 lbs and you are probably loading to 10% of that (double the weights, one for the weights, one for the garage door's balanced weight.) That cable won't go anywhere fast. Is the fraying new? If you could slip on heat shrink tubing, I'd do that, but I don't see how it is possible, to cover the fray. Perhaps some plumbing stretch rescue tape. This is just to keep strands from being snagged. There's no way to structurally repair aircraft cable.

Norm and Greg's splice idea would work, depending on your geometry. If a place has a crimper for rent, we use copper crush sleeves on our safety cables at work, let me know if you need pictures, I've done a couple hundred of them in my time.
Old October 15th, 2023, 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

As suggested…far better to run a new cable & most likely easiest.
Old October 15th, 2023, 08:14 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll get a couple pictures when I go over there this afternoon. I agree the best choice would be replace the cable, but I haven't looked too closely at how he has it strung, and it might not be the easiest. There are several pulleys in the works and the cable is fraying right where it rests on top of one of the pulleys.

Well we did Cracker Barrel for breakfast this morning. Man were they busy. It was good, not terrific, and I think that does it for Cracker Barrel for awhile. I think the next idea is going to be Dennys. Ug.

No concrete work today, as I don't think it's getting over 60. The yards are still too wet to drive on so no taking stuff to my basement. I might wash the Imperial and take a picture, there's a guy on the Imperial forum who wants to make a calendar. It would be my first pin up.

Okay Sunday is well under way, hope everyone enjoys it.

Old October 15th, 2023, 09:27 AM

I'm not sure even Chris in his prime could tackle Jeffersonhttps://sports.yahoo.com/nick-saban-...211112215.html
Old October 15th, 2023, 10:42 AM

I'm not sure even Chris in his prime could tackle Jeffersonhttps://sports.yahoo.com/nick-saban-...211112215.html
I'm sure your right about that, he looks pretty damn stout for a quarterback! Pretty amazing play!
Old October 15th, 2023, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Mike - I'm sure many of these guys have more experience than I do, but I'm still going to throw in my 2-cents. I'd try and find a couple of reputable garage door companies to see if they will come and take a look at what you have, and see if it can be converted to springs, and what it would cost you. If it can be converted to springs for not an outrageous amount, I think you'd be happier and much better off in the long run.
Old October 15th, 2023, 12:48 PM

I'd try and find a couple of reputable garage door companies to see if they will come and take a look at what you have, and see if it can be converted to springs, and what it would cost you.
I agree on this. I'm surprised that they didn't call that a sack of the Arkansas QB, in the grip of the defense, as much as they try to prevent injuries to QB's these days.
Old October 15th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

I'm going to hedge a bet & suggest Mike doesn't have a multi-panel overhead garage door. Counterweight systems were (and, still are) most often used w/ single panel (e.g. one door panel) garage door systems - for any number of reasons. Often times the reason is lack of supporting structure for side rail(s) mount(s) (preferred method) &/or lack of overhead ceiling space. It would be nearly impossible to convert a counterweight system to a spring system and retain a single panel garage door. Most often the reason to install counterweights is lack of space, or to save space since the weights take up very little space. Often they have a single long lanyard attached to the center of the inside of the door - you pull on the lanyard & the door easily lifts (when the pulleys are working well). I like them honestly. Not much maintenance to them really - keep the pulleys greased well.
Old October 15th, 2023, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

Still pruning. I have lots of pruning done & much more remains. Played some golf after a morning of pruning. Ordered new tires for the lawn tractor trailer, they arrived Friday. New inner tubes arrive tomorrow, maybe. The rims are actually tubeless rims. The 18 year old tires had tons of great wear remaining, the sidewalls have numerous long cracks allowing air to escape every 24 hours. I probably could have installed inner tubes on the current tires and bought myself at least one more season. I like the notion of using inner tubes even if they are tubeless rims. At any rate, I'll have some tire & wheel mounting to do soon. It cooled down considerably with a modest breeze - golf was more challenging. I actually like the clear crisp air. Think I'll bake pan of double chocolate walnut brownies.
Old October 15th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Nope Norm regular panel garage door. The whole deal is hackery by the previous guy. The counterweights are weight machine weights, like from a gym. I looked at the cable when I was over there and there are a couple bad spots, so I'll have to take a day and replace the cable.

It never did warm up at all around here, and the sun didn't come out. But no rain. The breeze makes it feel chilly. Not a fan of what's coming. Once upon a time I was going to move to Arizona. I shouldn't have changed my mind.

Old October 15th, 2023, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I didn't pay careful attention in your first post...he used weight lifting weights?
...he used weight lifting weights as counter weights, one group on each side, and ran a cable through them held with vise grips.
Sounds like a real custom job....especially if you're using vise grips. OMG....WTF
Old October 15th, 2023, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Movie night…

Old October 15th, 2023, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
It never did warm up at all around here, and the sun didn't come out. But no rain. The breeze makes it feel chilly. Not a fan of what's coming. Once upon a time I was going to move to Arizona. I shouldn't have changed my mind.
Come on out, it’s sunny and warm here.

Last edited by Fun71; October 15th, 2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old October 16th, 2023, 05:16 AM

The guy who posted the wanted ad in JWO for a 71-72 Cutlass vert is coming to look at our car on Thursday. I tried to talk him into waiting until spring, but he wants to look at it now. I searched thru all of our old pics- ( in boxes- not on phone or computer) and of course got caught up in old memories, etc. If you think life is short, just look at old pics- that'll make you realize you have been around for a while!! Anyway, did find pics of Cutlass restoration. After looking at all that makes me want to keep car- Ah we'll see.
Old October 16th, 2023, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
The guy who posted the wanted ad in JWO for a 71-72 Cutlass vert is coming to look at our car on Thursday. I tried to talk him into waiting until spring, but he wants to look at it now. I searched thru all of our old pics- ( in boxes- not on phone or computer) and of course got caught up in old memories, etc. If you think life is short, just look at old pics- that'll make you realize you have been around for a while!! Anyway, did find pics of Cutlass restoration. After looking at all that makes me want to keep car- Ah we'll see.
You have to do what you think is right.

As for pictures, I went by Nashville on my way home on Friday and saw my mom and sister. On Saturday, I went to my favorite bar from my college days and retrieved the two tags of my buddy and myself from our completing the Wall of 69 Beers challenge as they took the plaques down and dismantled them. I shall find him and mail him his. Bartender carded me. I laughed and told her I didn't get carded 20 years ago in school there.
Old October 17th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did the Walmart lunacy today. The place was busy but checkout was quick. That scheduled weekly trip is quickly approaching.

Greg good luck with the car. Be sure you want to sell it. Don't let him lowball you because it's winter. Get enough for it so when you miss it too much you can go buy another one.

John you must have that boyish look. So those plaques were up there twenty years?

A friend of mine is coming to stay a couple days to help me with the Amphicar. The plan is to pull the engine and then the trans. I told him I don't have any money to put towards rebuilding them and don't have plans for the car at this time. He still wants to do this, so who am I to turn down free help.

Beautiful here. Chilly. Gonna warm up this week, rain Thursday. Good thing the car is inside.

Have a good day everyone.

Old October 17th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Went to sleep/bed w/ a growling stomach last night. Awoke @ 12:00AM hugging the porcelain goddess. It was wretched. Absolutely exhausted this morning. Ate at a favorite greasy spoon for breakfast yesterday - about the only place I think I could have caught something.

I'd rather mount full/over size tires than mount inner tubes & tires on a 6 yd. garden tractor trailer. Glad that's done.