The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2023, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Had to teach the granddaughter biscuits 101
Jim - Those pics are priceless! I'd bet a paycheck she'll remember that time her entire life!
Old October 8th, 2023, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) is a better pain reliever for back pain than Tylenol (Acetaminophen). It sounds like your back pain is caused from inflammation - try Ibuprofen instead. Advil is short-term (4-6hrs), Motrin is often 10-12hrs. You might try Naproxen (Aleve), as well. It's very effective at reducing inflammatory symptoms. Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is not a Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug (NSAID).
Norm - I don't get it. Since Advil and Motrin are both brand names of Ibuprofen, why would Motrin have a longer effective period of pain relief than Advil? The only reason I can think of is that Motrin has some type of time release formulation???
Old October 8th, 2023, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Also had 2.512" of rain Friday night.
Wow, a couple more raindrops and it mighta been 2.513”. I’m giving ya grief over that level of precision - at work we’re cognizant of significant digits in our reports.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Had to teach the granddaughter biscuits 101
Dang, flannel and vest in the kitchen. I was sweating in 100 degree weather while digging irrigation lines today. Maybe one day soon our temperatures will drop out of summer mode.
Old October 8th, 2023, 07:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I don't get it. Since Advil and Motrin are both brand names of Ibuprofen, why would Motrin have a longer effective period of pain relief than Advil? The only reason I can think of is that Motrin has some type of time release formulation???
Honestly, I don't know &/or can't recall. Like the several forms of Ibuprofen, I believe each manufacture mixes some "other" ingredients which shortens or lengthens the effective period (as in many drugs). Example: One may include an antihistamine (such as the active ingredient in Benadryl - some type of anhydramine I think?). Anyways, Ibuprofen and whatever the other ingredients are in the tablets based upon each manufacture's "mix" can lengthen or shorten the effective time period. Ibuprofen (like Aspirin = AcetylSalicylic Acid [ASA]) stop/halt/slow the production of prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause inflammation - they are derived from arachidonic acid. Prostaglandins are what causes a headache; albeit, the preferred treatment for a headache is ASA (aspirin). Anyway, maybe it's one of the "other" ingredients like the Benadryl antihistamine in one either Advil or Motrin which influences the effective period of time.
Old October 8th, 2023, 07:22 PM
Running On Empty

In case you're wondering where I get this gobble dee gook it's because I worked with ASA for ~15 years. We use ASA to arrest platelet coagulation during experiments to determine selective outcomes when measuring PI3K enzyme efficacy.
Read all about here...
The p85 and p110 Subunits of Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase-α Are Substrates, In Vitro, for a Constitutively Associated Protein Tyrosine Kinase in Platelets

Old October 8th, 2023, 07:34 PM

In case you're wondering where I get this gobble dee gook it's because I worked with ASA for ~15 years. We use ASA to arrest platelet coagulation during experiments to determine selective outcomes when measuring PI3K enzyme efficacy.
Read all about here...
The p85 and p110 Subunits of Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase-α Are Substrates, In Vitro, for a Constitutively Associated Protein Tyrosine Kinase in Platelets
No thanks, I've read several things that guy's published and he's a hack!

Seriously though, me trying to understand that paper is like asking a 1st grader to understand Highschool chemistry!
Old October 8th, 2023, 07:35 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I'm at a bit of a loss. I was strictly forbidden to use ibuprofen or similar for days and days before surgery. The doctor told me why but I couldn't repeat it, but I didn't use it. One thing I never thought to ask was if I could take it after surgery. I take real aspirin every morning(for blood clots) and I expect when I see him later this week he'll tell me to stop, and I'll ask about ibuprofen. Acetaminophen never has done much for me but that's the only thing I feel comfortable taking at this time. I learned one time that a couple Tylenol and a Kahlua and creme is an excellent pain remedy. Damn! I don't have any Kahlua.

Jamesbo those are awesome pictures. Is that the lake house? I don't remember seeing peaks like that. My grandmother was an excellent cook but I could never help her. She never had a big kitchen and I was underfoot. But there was always room for me to lick the bowls when she was done. Funny, I'm sitting looking at her kitchen table right now. I've had it since she died 40 years ago.

Back when I was more civic minded, and young, I registered to vote. And my reward was an immediate jury summons. It came in the mail and was for a week or two weeks from then. A woman in my church worked in the courthouse and said the date they give you isn't necessarily absolute. She said if you can't make it that day you can write them and give them an alternate date. So I wrote them and said I couldn't make it that day but I could make it the next day. I figured that by the time they got my response and reworked everything both days would be past and I'd be off the hook. Apparently I was right because I never heard back. And that was my only jury summons.

So after my back felt better this afternoon I went over to my house and trimmed some wildly overgrown shrubbery away from the front walk. Now I can walk on the sidewalk all the way to the front door. Tomorrow I have to go clean up. Also did a repair to my battery charger and got the Imperial started up, again. Letting the battery go stone dead possibly wasn't the greatest thing to do. The car will start every other day but not every third day. I'm hoping if I start it regularly I can get the battery back to where it will go awhile and still start the car.

Early morning tomorrow. Bug man is coming at 8 and I gotta get up and clean my room. Sheesh. Well, I'll be on track for Awful house, where I haven't been in awhile.

Have a good night everyone.

Old October 8th, 2023, 07:50 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The surgeon didn't want you to bleed out like a pig on the table that's why Ibuprofen or any aspirin were forbidden prior to surgery. Neither is the BEST choice directly after surgery, as well; since, you want clotting to occur rapidly to aid in the healing process. People always get this stuff confused and I can understand why, but let me say this. Many of these drugs they list as a blood "thinner" are NOT actual blood "thinners" (they are NOT of the class of compounds which are direct blood "thinners"). These products, e.g. do NOT thin the blood, they suppress blood coagulation by increasing the time it takes for blood to coagulate. Therefore, blood does not coagulate as fast as it normally should. The surgeon would prefer not having you bleed out like a pig.

ASA, aspirin (AcetylSalicylic Acid) on the other hand is NOT a blood thinner AT ALL. Aspirin works by selectively binding to platelets to arrest/stop platelets from binding to each other. Quite different than any form of a blood thinner. Aspirin literally binds to a platelet receptor and causes that receptor to be blocked from interacting with any other platelet.
Old October 8th, 2023, 07:55 PM
Running On Empty

Aspirin was discovered long ago by a chemist (Felix Hoffman) when working for Bayer. The effects of AcetylSalicylic Acid on blood platelets was discovered as a direct result of Hoffman's early experiments but was not utilized in blood platelet chemistry until we discovered blood platelet factors involved in platelet coagulation.
Old October 8th, 2023, 08:02 PM
Running On Empty

It's nearing bed time for me, but I'll finish w/ the correct notion that "some" type of aspirin regiment is beneficial to those with a propensity for increased platelet coagulation which can lead to a blood clot (this is not a good thing especially if it's involved in a heart attack). If you know of anyone or you are involved in what you believe might be a heart attack, immediately take two to three aspirins. Aspirin (ASA) will rapidly stop any other blood platelets from increasing the size of the clot (cutting off a vital artery) and often in many cases can dislodge a blood clot since, as I stated earlier, aspirin completely stops platelets from binding to each other. Good night, y'all.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:35 AM

Mike, Yes that's the lake house. Guys tanks for the kind words, the yard ape seems to like cooking. Originally she wanted to use a whisk to incorporate the lard into the flour. Live and learn Once I showed er how to use a lard blender, she was off and running

Last edited by Jamesbo; October 9th, 2023 at 03:56 AM.
Old October 9th, 2023, 04:25 AM
Running On Empty

Fall really dropped in late yesterday afternoon - clean, crisp air with decidedly reduced temperatures, kinda feels good. I've been pruning tons of hedges the past two weeks and takes forever. I prune in the morning then play golf in the afternoon now; which, is really not so bad since the mornings are chilly and the afternoon is delightful. This group I'm playing with is "crazed" - fun group, just crazed. Sometimes I'm a tad bit too **** on playing the game always looking to make improvements and sometimes that's a bad thing. These guys are fun & I'm enjoying their camaraderie.
Old October 9th, 2023, 05:41 AM
Running On Empty

Seriously though, me trying to understand that paper is like asking a 1st grader to understand Highschool chemistry!
Yeah, well sometimes you have people who understand biochemistry better than others. Over the years I've become immune to reading some of the hogwash I see printed by so-called science media, science reporters/journalists & in particular on-line supposed medical authorities - some of the stuff is just absolutely wrong.

Example: This is a verbatim quote from the University of Rochester Medical Center...
Platelets are tiny blood cells that help your body form clots to stop bleeding. If one of your blood vessels gets damaged, it sends out signals to the platelets. The platelets then rush to the site of damage and form a plug (clot) to fix the damage.
SOURCE: What Are Platelets?
I have no issues with attempting to explain complex things in simple terms. But when reputable organizations don't peer check their on-line submissions by knowledgeable science authorities it creates more uncertainty and promotes misinformation to the general public.
Platelets are not cells. Platelets do not have a cell membrane and platelets do not contain a nucleus. Two very specific items which all cells contain. Platelets (thromocytes) are broken off pieces of red blood cells (erythrocytes) - they are not cells of any type, they certainly are not tiny blood cells. Platelets do not divide, I could go on & on, but why feed the general public B.S.?
It's nearly the same with describing blood thinners....which, many in the medical profession sorta get correct, but then state...blood thinners aren't really blood thinners...they'll state blood thinners is a misnomer (which it is); but, we'll call them blood thinners anyways because that's evidently the best way to describe them to the general dumb-me-down non-medical/scientific lay person. Argh....I need to prune some hedges.

Old October 9th, 2023, 05:50 AM

I mean, I'm nothing but a mechanical engineer, and even I know enough to agree with Norm on what platelets are. That medical center should be ashamed of such a rag.
Old October 9th, 2023, 06:55 AM

I thought a platelet was a tiny plate you would serve a crumpet or scone on to have with your tea!
Old October 9th, 2023, 08:40 AM
Running On Empty

I thought a platelet was a tiny plate you would serve a crumpet or scone on to have with your tea!
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! That just made my day - well played, well played.
Old October 9th, 2023, 10:12 AM

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! That just made my day - well played, well played.
Old October 9th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the Walmart lunacy. I thought since it was Monday it wouldn't be so bad. Nope. A lot of people are off for the holiday today and the place was packed. Glad that's done.

Beautiful here. It isn't 70 but the sun is out. I find it very comfortable but I did turn on the seat heater on the way to Walmart. I tell you those are worth the price of admission right there. In a little while we're going over and Mom is going to help me clean up from the trimming yesterday.

Okay on with the day. Hope everyone is well. Today is my Dad's birthday. He'd be 83. I can't imagine it.

Old October 9th, 2023, 12:59 PM

I haven't posted a pic of these scoundrels in awhile. Oh what a life they have!

Old October 9th, 2023, 02:25 PM

Wow, a couple more raindrops and it mighta been 2.513”. I’m giving ya grief over that level of precision - at work we’re cognizant of significant digits in our reports.
Sorry, I had an **** moment. ..... I have better luck taking Ibuprophen than Tylenol for anything, but I have to be careful due to my acid reflux. Usually a glass of milk or a bit of grub will suffice.
Old October 9th, 2023, 02:56 PM

A simple but very satisfying dinner. Turkey breast, Swiss, homegrown tomatoes, and Miracle Whip on toasted wheat. Mesquite BBQ Chips and dill pickle spears on the side.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 9th, 2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:02 PM
Running On Empty

Astonishing gorgeous weather outdoors. Love pruning the hedges in this weather - hell, just love being outdoors in this weather. Played a fun & good round of golf. If I go to Walmart (which is nearly never), I go between 12:00AM midnight to 3:00AM. I could eat the West end of an East bound mule right now. Having Lasagna Italiano for dinner.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:04 PM
Running On Empty

A simple but very satisfying dinner. Turkey breast, Swiss, homegrown tomatoes, and Miracle Whip on toated wheat. Mesquite BBQ Chips and dill pickle spears on the side.
Chris - That's a delicious sandwich. Everything is delicious w/ home grown tomatoes - nice.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:27 PM

Chris - That's a delicious sandwich. Everything is delicious w/ home grown tomatoes - nice.
Thanks Norm, the Lasagna sounds delicious too. I can't think of anything Italian I don't like. Just like homegrown tomatoes, a good Marinara could make just about anything taste good. My wife makes the most incredible stuffed giant caneloni with 5 different cheeses stuffed in the caneloni and a wonderful Marnara with Italian Sausage over them. She doesn't make it very often, usually just when we're having company because it's pretty labor intensive.
Old October 9th, 2023, 03:51 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks Norm, the Lasagna sounds delicious too. I can't think of anything Italian I don't like. Just like homegrown tomatoes, a good Marinara could make just about anything taste good. My wife makes the most incredible stuffed giant caneloni with 5 different cheeses stuffed in the caneloni and a wonderful Marnara with Italian Sausage over them. She doesn't make it very often, usually just when we're having company because it's pretty labor intensive.
Delicious. Making Marinara is labor intensive in & of itself. If she is making hand made Cannellonis that's phenomenal.
Old October 9th, 2023, 04:18 PM

Delicious. Making Marinara is labor intensive in & of itself. If she is making hand made Cannellonis that's phenomenal.
Ya, she makes the Marinara from scratch and she likes that to simmer almost all day to concentrate the flavors and thicken. She does buy the pre-made extra large canneloni tubes, but the 5 cheese stuffing takes awhile to make too.
Old October 9th, 2023, 04:52 PM
Running On Empty

I make homemade Marinara often & it's always an entire day event. When I do have the time, I make my own Cannellonis. I have a Kitchenaid Professional 600™ Series 6 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer with S.S. attachments. I make my own pasta, run it through the Kitchenaid lasagna pasta roller attachment/press, then follow the exact same process as this woman. There's nothing to compare the taste of homemade pasta (unless, of course, it's Jim's homemade biscuits).

Old October 9th, 2023, 05:57 PM

I make homemade Marinara often & it's always an entire day event. When I do have the time, I make my own Cannellonis. I have a Kitchenaid Professional 600™ Series 6 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer with S.S. attachments. I make my own pasta, run it through the Kitchenaid lasagna pasta roller attachment/press, then follow the exact same process as this woman. There's nothing to compare the taste of homemade pasta (unless, of course, it's Jim's homemade biscuits.
My wife has that same exact mixer but it's black. I don't think she has the lasagna pasta roller attachments though.
Old October 9th, 2023, 06:14 PM
Running On Empty

I may own all the Kitchenaid attachments for that machine except for the shaved ice piece.
Old October 9th, 2023, 06:34 PM

I may own all the Kitchenaid attachments for that machine except for the shaved ice piece.
That's nice! They're certainly a workhorse in the kitchen. i don't know if the new ones are still made as well as the old ones, but I know my sister is still using the same one my Mom had when I was a young boy, and the one my wife has was her Mom's. Apparently you can't make the things quit!
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:05 PM

dill pickle spears on the side.
Ack! Embalmed cucumbers! Stop the cucumber abuse!
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Ack! Embalmed cucumbers! Stop the cucumber abuse!
Now that's damn near un-American, are you one of them there furonners? How bout hot banana pepper rings?
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:24 PM

hot banana pepper
Dunno what that is. I grow Jalapeños, serranos, and habaneros. “Banana pepper”? That sounds phallic.
Old October 9th, 2023, 07:42 PM

Dunno what that is. I grow Jalapeños, serranos, and habaneros. “Banana pepper”? That sounds phallic.

Old October 9th, 2023, 08:17 PM

I don’t embalm my garden peppers, but I have been known to use them to infuse spirits such as vodka and tequila. A habanero margarita or jalapeño vodka tonic are my wife’s favorites.
Old October 10th, 2023, 02:06 AM

You guys would probably enjoy sum of these
Old October 10th, 2023, 02:09 AM

Haha. Best one I heard in a long time.
Old October 10th, 2023, 04:20 AM

Wow, homemade pasta, I've never had that, I'll bet it's good!
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:32 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Wow, homemade pasta, I've never had that, I'll bet it's good!
And, you really don't need any of this Clancy fancy equipment. Simply make the pasta (dough), use a rolling pin to roll out the dough then use a knife to cut the dough into long strips. Honestly nothing could be simpler; but, the taste is just so, so much better fresh than store bought pasta. I don't mean to suggest I don't use store bought pasta because I certainly do.
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:40 AM

I don’t embalm my garden peppers, but I have been known to use them to infuse spirits such as vodka and tequila. A habanero margarita or jalapeño vodka tonic are my wife’s favorites.
Kenneth - There are many varieties of Banana Peppers, sometimes called Wax Peppers, that range in the pepper heat scale from mild to hot. Here is a description I pulled from the internet.
"Many varieties of Wax Peppers are not mild. Hungarian wax peppers range between 5,000 to 10,000 SHU which puts it on par with (and sometimes hotter than) jalapeño peppers. It's the banana pepper substitute you reach for when you're ready to move on up the pepper scale."