The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2023, 01:30 AM

Mike, Nope in the kitchen. The lake wont allow any boat with a head or a galley [ I guess to keep away overnighters] Her name is Sweetie, The Super model got her for free. The poor thing was in a puppy mill and has serious issues. At 1st I/we thought she just hated men with beards and who wore baseballs hats. Now She seems to hate some people randomly Lucky for her she loves the grand daughter and lets her pull her hair and play vet with her, its like some people remind her of a bad past and she turns from Sweetie into Cujo. Her nick name is tank, She s all muscle but gets along fine with Bear. We just have to watch her closely.

Last edited by Jamesbo; September 14th, 2023 at 03:19 AM.
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:19 AM
Running On Empty

Found some very serious cupping on the inside edges of my F250 monster tires. The rear tires have modest cupping on the inside edges, but the front tires have significant cupping. Going to have an alignment shop evaluate this morning. I'm suspicious of ball joints, shocks, misalignment &/or a combination.
Old September 14th, 2023, 04:30 AM

Good News!! Looks like silver truck is sold. After being on CL for a day I have a full price buyer. He doesn't even want to look at it and he will include a extra $100 for a deposit to hold it. He wants to send me a certified check! Wow... Jim, my friend, Todd, lost his 14 year old black lab. He went to the pound and brought home a 2 year old lab to try out. The dog attacked the neighbors dog and Todd tried to break it up and got a nasty bite on his hand... took that one back. Now he has gotten a golden lab puppy. I really like the idea of getting dogs from shelters but some have some issues. I'm sure your new friend will be great with patience. Well, it feels like fall here already- had to turn on furnace yesterday, wife can't stand it...
Old September 14th, 2023, 06:20 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Great news on the truck. Sweet deal.

I could do this work myself, it’s 90% labor but I am not going to. The shop (not the A$$holes next to me) are wonderful - truck goes in next Monday. New upper/lower ball joints both sides, new wheel bearings + hub assemblies both sides, new drag links (often called inner/outer tie-rods), new front brake pads, tire rotation and alignment. I may need two new tires on front end.
Old September 14th, 2023, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Greg - Great news on the truck. Sweet deal.

I could do this work myself, it’s 90% labor but I am not going to. The shop (not the A$$holes next to me) are wonderful - truck goes in next Monday. New upper/lower ball joints both sides, new wheel bearings + hub assemblies both sides, new drag links (often called inner/outer tie-rods), new front brake pads, tire rotation and alignment. I may need two new tires on front end.
Greg - Congrats on the sale of the truck!

Norm - Ouch, that's gonna be a hefty bill, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
Old September 14th, 2023, 08:05 AM

While I understand the point behind the "Adopt from the humane society / rescue dogs!" mantra that is jammed down our throats these days by virtue-signallers, I view it as just more stuff that people are trying to get me to do to take the burdens of society onto my shoulders. Sorry, I am not responsible for the plight of rescue dogs; I did nothing personally or indirectly to cause their plight. While I sympathize, I will not, if I ever decide to have a pet, adopt from a rescue shelter as the risk of the animal being nuts is too high and life is too short to have to put up with a mean or crazy dog in my house.

Upon reflection, this philosophy could be expanded to women, and would explain my peaceful life of solitude.
Old September 14th, 2023, 08:22 AM

Greg, I used to raise Pointers and Labs. My take on Retrievers is Never try to murder the owner of a golden, never try to break in the home of a Lab, and never go in the yard of the owner of a Chesapeake. John , At least ya can muzzle a crazy dog
Old September 14th, 2023, 08:35 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
While I understand the point behind the "Adopt from the humane society / rescue dogs!" mantra that is jammed down our throats these days by virtue-signallers, I view it as just more stuff that people are trying to get me to do to take the burdens of society onto my shoulders. Sorry, I am not responsible for the plight of rescue dogs; I did nothing personally or indirectly to cause their plight. While I sympathize, I will not, if I ever decide to have a pet, adopt from a rescue shelter as the risk of the animal being nuts is too high and life is too short to have to put up with a mean or crazy dog in my house.
I understand/empathize w/ your statements. Our own family, including myself, have mostly had rescue dogs. Having been on so many farms I've seen many dogs & cats. Far, far, far too many cats. I've watched aunts/uncles put down many, many cats - their numbers growing totally out of control. Changing filters on the milkers each morning/afternoon could bring as many as 20-40 waiting for us to change filters and toss them down for the cats. The numbers just grow beyond all reason - so the cat numbers have to be held in check - they're killed.

The numbers don't grow nearly as high with canines; but, rescue (type) dogs (dogs abandoned, escaped, etc.) can be a real mixed bag depending on (supposed) breed, age, sex & temperament. Many were adopted by our family and others (didn't have to go finding one at a humane society). Humane societies are an urban ploy for rescuing dogs. Dogs with ill-temperaments were taken into a field and shot - end-of-story, most were not buried. There's another portion of the food chain which finds them quite tasty. I realize my wording might invoke sentiment. Dogs on a farm looking for homes either manage to "fit-in" or they're disposed of. There's no hauling them off to a nearby humane/rescue society (20-30 miles away) to become someone else burden. They're dealt with.
Old September 14th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Ouch, that's gonna be a hefty bill, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
I just added two new front tires (LT325/65R18 - 127/125R) and two new Rancho front shock absorbers to the list.
Old September 14th, 2023, 09:42 AM

I just added two new front tires (LT325/65R18 - 127/125R) and two new Rancho front shock absorbers to the list.
Ouch x 4 more!!!
Old September 14th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Had my Annual Physical this morning and got a clean bill of health. Will have to wait a few days on the results of the lab work, but I don't expect any issues. Good news was my blood pressure is in check, 122 over 56. Other highlights were my weight was down 10 lbs. since last year, and a resting heart rate of 54. I also got my flu shot. I don't enjoy going to the doctor for anything, but it was a good visit.
Old September 14th, 2023, 10:04 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Good job on the numbers. I have a flu shot in my calendar appointments coming up next week & I'll get the newest SARS-CoV-2 sub-variant XBB.1.5 vaccine directly afterwards. The new sub-variant vaccine may be available now, but most of the literature says availability should be everywhere beginning 16 September 2023. My next yearly medical exam w/ labs is next February.
Old September 14th, 2023, 10:23 AM

Chris - Good job on the numbers. I have a flu shot in my calendar appointments coming up next week & I'll get the newest SARS-CoV-2 sub-variant XBB.1.5 vaccine directly afterwards. The new sub-variant vaccine may be available now, but most of the literature says availability should be everywhere beginning 16 September 2023. My next yearly medical exam w/ labs is next February.
Thanks Norm! The blood pressure was my major concern. A few years ago it started to creep into the minor hypertension range and the doc put me on a low dose med (5mg Amlodipine Besylate). The med was keeping it from getting worse, but not really bringing it down. I think the weight loss, and cutting some (not all) of the caffeine and sodium out of my diet has helped as much or more than the med. I was going to get the latest SARS-CoV-2 sub-variant vaccine today if they had it, but they didn't have it yet. It might not have been the greatest idea to get both on the same day anyway.
Old September 14th, 2023, 11:22 AM
Running On Empty

FWIW, high blood pressure is a NATURAL phenomena which occurs as all humans age. The best healthy individuals can do is reduce the slope of the curve (reduce the rate of increase) and strive to maintain the rate increase - primarily via a healthy diet and ANY form of exercise.
Old September 14th, 2023, 11:28 AM
Running On Empty

Yeah well this truck now lists out ~$100K (stupid money). Many thoughts go through my head on it. Sell it and buy a car is the most likely option moving forward. I’m old school, it costs $$ to maintain ANYTHING, but maintenance I consider the best option.
Old September 14th, 2023, 12:07 PM

FWIW, high blood pressure is a NATURAL phenomena which occurs as all humans age. The best healthy individuals can do is reduce the slope of the curve (reduce the rate of increase) and strive to maintain the rate increase - primarily via a healthy diet and ANY form of exercise.
I did not know it was natural for one's blood pressure to rise as a natural part of aging, I learned something. This makes me feel a little better about the whole situation. The exercise part I've got nailed, the healthy diet, not so much.
Old September 14th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Yeah well this truck now lists out ~$100K (stupid money). Many thoughts go through my head on it. Sell it and buy a car is the most likely option moving forward. I’m old school, it costs $$ to maintain ANYTHING, but maintenance I consider the best option.
As long as your truck isn't eating you alive in gas and maintenence I think it's smart to hold onto it. I can't even begin to think about getting rid of my old truck until my wife decides she's getting out of the refinishing business. When she originally started doing it during the worst of the Covid lock down, I thought it would be a passing phase. Boy was I wrong, she still really enjoys it and makes good money.
Old September 14th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Running On Empty

I learned this adage many years ago - "Work Smart". I've always held the belief if you can't work smart, don't work on it at all. Over the years, I've developed a more age appropriate adage "Work Smarter". Work Smarter is why I've elected to erect two sections of scaffolding instead of fighting a ladder. I had the scaffolding stored (in my garage) after finishing the upper siding work a couple months ago. No biggie - I like being safe. I'll be 71 yrs old in two weeks, I've seen images of people who survive 15' drops off a ladder (they aren't pretty) & people who don't survive (Obit columns of the local paper).

A couple images. The North side of the house had the worst siding boards - that's complete, just one picture showing ~70' of boarding I replaced. It's far, far, far easier to take an electric hand saw and cut-out entire areas, but then you end up with two huge long vertical lines of board abutment. It's definitely much faster, but it's also not the best approach to replacing 1"x6" center-cut wood siding. Most new(er) homes do not use solid wood siding. Older homes were often not built on a full basement perimeter wall. Most older homes (99%) built in Piedmont zones in the South are erected on "pads" of block, brick &/or concrete (with a crawlspace). Anything along the coastline will never have any basement (the house will pop out of the soil). Ground water saturation is ~2'-3' below the surface. These all wood buildings shift significantly with the seasons - expanding & contracting. Back to the siding - it's far better to maintain staggered (vertical) siding than to rip out an entire section for R&R. This helps to ensure a more stable expansion/contraction throughout the side walls. The issue is, not every board requires replacement & the majority of the work involves removal of the nails used to secure the siding - lots of work to prep for new siding boards. So glad that part is done. Replacement boards are #2 grade pressure treated ground contact 1"x6"x16', purchased at my local lumber yard. Don't ever think of buying this type material from the big lot houses (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) - the stuff they get away w/ selling is junk.

Since I have erected the scaffolding, I know I'll spend far greater time on the roof examining/addressing flashing, chimney flashing, joint work, etc. Never a F'ing dull moment around here.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 14th, 2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old September 14th, 2023, 01:10 PM

No doubt about it Norm, you're a "Craftsman" with many talents! 👍
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:09 PM

Nice work Norm. The color of your place is easy on the eyes. Hope the roof inspection goes well. Peace of mind will be welcome I am sure.
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:11 PM

Chris good news on the check up.
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:23 PM

You guys didn't catch the sarcasm in my voice about truck.... Scam!! Now I have found that something is wrong with the FB ad. It's not showing up. I got to scam offers complete with full price "certified" checks being sent to me with truck not even being looked at from the Craigslist ad. I'm so disgusted with this truck, of course it will fight me to the end... It's really just a minor irritation in the grand scheme of things. It's all good.
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Nice work Norm. The color of your place is easy on the eyes. Hope the roof inspection goes well. Peace of mind will be welcome I am sure.
Thanks, Keith. I replaced the roof in 2003, which included replacing any bad underlying roofing wood, new valley metal, cut & installed new flashing in the chimneys, new drip edge, & installed for the 1st time on this house new shingle-over ridge vents.

Hope the roof inspection goes well. Peace of mind will be welcome I am sure.
You're spot-on. I'm generally on the roof roughly every 5-6 years evaluating, inspecting, cementing/re-cementing various areas (especially chimney flashing). Always find something which needs attention. Don't have to worry about ice dams down here, but there's a trade-off w/ the frequent high winds from tropical storms & hurricanes.
Old September 14th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
You guys didn't catch the sarcasm in my voice about truck.... Scam!! Now I have found that something is wrong with the FB ad. It's not showing up. I got to scam offers complete with full price "certified" checks being sent to me with truck not even being looked at from the Craigslist ad. I'm so disgusted with this truck, of course it will fight me to the end... It's really just a minor irritation in the grand scheme of things. It's all good.
Greg - So sorry to hear about the scams! I can't begin to list the number of scam inquiries my wife gets advertising her furniture on different "for sale" sites. Sometimes she'll have 10 scam inquiries within the first 30-minutes of posting a new piece. She has had to get very savvy about recognizing the scammers. Unfortunately, it's a f'ing ugly world in the online "for sale" market! Those bastards really **** me off, but glad you're able to take it in stride.
Old September 14th, 2023, 07:33 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - Really sorry to hear you fell for a scam. I've sold many pieces of equipment on CL. I've never fallen for the scams; and, there are MANY different types of scams out there. Most begin w/ some ridiculous claim they'll send a certified check (they printed out in the backroom of their garage) w/ a courier (friend who engages in the scam) since the real purchaser resides in or is vacationing in Bum Phuque Eqypt somewhere and they want & must have the item ASAP. Complete douche nozzles.
Old September 14th, 2023, 09:00 PM

Thanks, Keith. I replaced the roof in 2003, which included replacing any bad underlying roofing wood, new valley metal, cut & installed new flashing in the chimneys, new drip edge, & installed for the 1st time on this house new shingle-over ridge vents.

You're spot-on. I'm generally on the roof roughly every 5-6 years evaluating, inspecting, cementing/re-cementing various areas (especially chimney flashing). Always find something which needs attention. Don't have to worry about ice dams down here, but there's a trade-off w/ the frequent high winds from tropical storms & hurricanes.
My house's roof is fairly easy to get on. I had it replaced in 14 as the first improvement I did after I bought the place. No problems since, even with the log of July 1 falling on it this year. I have those shingled ridge vents. We get very aggressive roofers cold calling for business, and even some in person. They say they see lifted broken shingles and mistake the ridge vents for them. I have fun mocking them and kicking them off my property. NEVER let a roofer on a good roof uninvited, they will damage shingles then point them out as needing a replacement, they're the modern day equivalents of the shylocks on I-75 in the 70s at the mandatory full service gas stations spiking your tires and cutting hoses under the hood to make you "need" their business. People like that should be shot.

I have to get up there to clean gutters out every six months or so.
Old September 14th, 2023, 09:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I have to get up there to clean gutters out every six months or so.
This house (built in 1930) did not have gutters until I contracted their installation (2010). I had them install gutter guards, gutter grates, gutter covers whatever you want to call them. Best investment for the gutters - never have to clean them, but in addition soil, leaves, etc. don't build up anywhere to hold water and begin to rust/rot. Money extremely well spent - just in case you're looking to install them you can either order them on-line or many of the big box stores sell them.
Old September 15th, 2023, 03:37 AM

--Autumn is in the air, for sure- seams too soon. It is pleasant though, the sun is really warm and soothing. Rode quad around lake and a neighbor was burning some brush. I stopped and visited with him by the fire. Simple pleasures are the best!
--Norm, I didn't fall for the scams, just was reporting it. I love the work you do on your place. Seams you always do it right and very thorough. I'm sure it's worth the cost of the front end work on your F250. You saw the pics of the post where I removed the box off my 06? That is the reason people around here don't repair older vehicles when a costly repair is needed. I saw a couple 15 year old pickups in the local salvage yard that were so rusted they bent in the middle when lifted by the loader at the yard! Fords and chebbies... But down where you live the bodies last and older vehicles are worth fixing, with new prices as they are now a days.
-- Jim, how is new dog doing? Any more luck selling Vista? Have you checked out Hemmings online auctions? I think I would look into them if selling a classic.
Old September 15th, 2023, 04:17 AM

Greg I'm in the process of trying to get the Vista on Bring a Trailer and my next step is to take 50 pics, They are very picky about who they let sell IMHO Dog training, I'm working on making Sweetie give me a little more room on the bed. Bear sleeps at my feet, She wants to lick my face all night
Old September 15th, 2023, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Dog training, I'm working on making Sweetie give me a little more room on the bed. Bear sleeps at my feet, She wants to lick my face all night
Jim - I'm sure Sweetie has already realized she hit the "forever home" jackpot and is just showing her appreciation! LoL When we got our 2nd one we knew we were gonna need a King size bed but it doesn't completely solve the crowding problem. Maggie likes to sleep with her muzzle tucked up between my wife's and my pillows. The problem is, she snores like a freight train, as many Bulldogs do. I've pretty much gotten used to it, but some nights she still keeps me up. Wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China!
Old September 15th, 2023, 05:39 AM

Chris, Have you ever heard/read that dogs lick to get rid of their anxiety?
Old September 15th, 2023, 05:42 AM

Chris, Have you ever heard/read that dogs lick to get rid of their anxiety?
Yep, I sure have, but I didn't think of that being the issue in Sweetie's case. I hope that isn't the case for her, but if it is I hope it passes quickly as she gets used to you guys and feels more secure in her new surroundings
Old September 15th, 2023, 05:51 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I thoroughly recall my days of vehicle ownership in the Great White North. U-Joint R&R every couple years, wheels, wheel cylinders, calipers, axles, bumpers, brackets, frames, etc. Vehicles embedded w/ road salt ice dripping everywhere. Open the hood to watch salt-packed ice hanging from every bracket in the engine bay. I did see your '06, sorta/kinda business as usual for the Great White North vehicles. Remember seeing the Vegas driving about with the front fenders corroded through on top? Speaking of the Vega. I recall the first time I saw R.R. open box cars loaded w/ Vegas vertically. That was something (I think Mike brought this up some time ago). Fall weather hit here this morning, as well. A welcome relief.

Rode quad around lake and a neighbor was burning some brush. I stopped and visited with him by the fire. Simple pleasures are the best!
Agree, those are the best.
Old September 15th, 2023, 06:29 AM

Chris, Id like to think she loves it here but may have some baggage she still caries with her, She reallhy is a sweet dog to me and family but cant stand some people that may be some kind of flash back
Old September 15th, 2023, 06:47 AM

Chris, Id like to think she loves it here but may have some baggage she still caries with her, She reallhy is a sweet dog to me and family but cant stand some people that may be some kind of flash back
Agree 100%
Old September 15th, 2023, 09:04 AM
Running On Empty

We had a couple dogs who plain out went bongo bizarre crazed when ANYONE wore a hat. It was like a like switch went off to even those of us who resided with them.
Old September 15th, 2023, 10:30 AM
Running On Empty

Roof Inspection/Report:

Overall condition of roofing shingles is excellent - each of the years I've re-cemented shingle tabs has paid off significantly. There is one area which requires 20-30 tabs to have roofing tar applied to keep them secure & reduce becoming broken &/or blowing away. The flashing on both chimneys have very minor cracking of the flashing cement but must be addressed. There are several other areas where additional roofing tar will help to increase longevity and reduce the possibility of wind/water intrusion. This job won't take long at all. So happy I elected to erect scaffolding. Makes this job far more enjoyable - if you can find enjoyment performing minor roofing work.

I was tracking with some concern TROPICAL DEPRESSION FIFTEEN but appears it will turn North on the Eastern side of Bermuda just as it's expected to turn into a major hurricane.
Old September 15th, 2023, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
Chris good news on the check up.
Keith - Sorry this is late coming, but thank you!
Old September 15th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Mark Laita (Soft White Underbelly) conducts some of the more interesting interviews & posts them to YouTube.
The Whittakers Go To The State Fair

Old September 15th, 2023, 01:53 PM

Up Norte thought I would ride by and see if Nick was home. Nope he must have other plans for the weekend