The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2023, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Up Norte thought I would ride by and see if Nick was home. Nope he must have other plans for the weekend
I'm surprised he's not there hiding out after their embarrassing loss to Texas last weekend!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 15th, 2023 at 06:48 PM.
Old September 15th, 2023, 03:02 PM

Hey guys,

I had a full day. Helped my wife go get a dining room set this morning. Large rectangular table with 2 leaves, 4 side chairs, 2 arm chairs, a large seving buffet, and a china cabinet. It was in decent shape and will be nice when she's done. She got it for FREE! We had to make two trips, and were close to needing to make a third. One observation while we were out, the truck needed gas, I was surprised when I saw 87 Regular Unleaded was still up at $3.75 now that it's past Labor Day. We usually have some of the cheapest gas around, I hate to guess what everyone else is paying? What a racket!

The furniture moving took up the whole morning. Took about an hour break, then did my weight lifting workout, after I'd already had one. LoL Then I went out and mowed/trimmed. I should sleep well tonight.

Gonna get up here soon and load up the 4-4-2 to go to a show tomorrow from 8am - 2pm at a Church about 20-miles away. I've been to this one before and it's nice. After the show I'm going to head to Festus which is about 8-miles from my house where they are going to hold the Mayor's Fall Car Cruise. They have a display area for the cars at the Public Library from 2pm - 6pm, and then all the cars start cruising up and down Old Town Main Street. All the locals come out and pack the sidewalks with their lawn chairs and watch the cars cruise up and down. I've been to this one multiple times too and it's a blast. The weather is going to be perfect tomorrow, sunny, a high of 78°, and essentially no chance of rain.

Hope y'all have a great weekend!
Old September 16th, 2023, 11:08 AM

Got reminded the car show was this morning, not tomorrow. Threw a 5 gallon bucket of tools and a couple bottles of water into the van and off I went to a retirement home for a car show. They didn't advertise well and were expecting more than the 5 cars in the show. They had door prizes, everyone won one and I got two. My friend took best modern car with his old, needing paint, Supra. A Corvette took best Chevy. A 3000GT took Best Wheels. After assuring me the Mercury Cougar would get a lot of trophies and that Best Ford meant the Ford brand, not FoMoCo the corporation, as the only Ford there, my van took best Ford. The Cougar got People's Choice, Best Classic, and Best of Show. Everyone got a trophy. One door prize I got was a nice lawn chair.

Old September 16th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

John that was quite a car show. Five cars. Hm. Maybe next year they will advertise more. That's a cool looking chair. Way better than the nylon strap chairs we had when I was a kid.

Got good news from the doctor the other day. Everything looks good and I can (officially) drive. I didn't tell him I was driving anyway. The stick shift pickup might be a little while yet.

Rain off and on all afternoon. Supposed to be nice all week. It's going to kill me to have to stay inside when it's nice. I could go outside, but I can't do anything. Maybe little things.

Jamesbo glad the new pup is getting along. I'd have a hundred dogs if I could.

Not much else. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old September 16th, 2023, 05:48 PM

John - Cool looking trophy and nice lawn chair! Shame the show wasn't better advertised and attended.

Mike - Really glad to hear your recovery is going well! Hope the doc clears you to do more soon.
Old September 17th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Mike congratulations
Old September 17th, 2023, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

John - I have two of those chairs (brown) - pretty comfy.

Originally Posted by Koda
One door prize I got was a nice lawn chair.

Old September 17th, 2023, 02:17 PM
Running On Empty

Was on the roof (again) ~1 hr, weed whacked, ate @ Jimmy John's, checked into Avis rental (picked up keys), dropped car off at service shop (night-time drop-key box), taxi back to Avis then back home.

First time I've driven a new car in years. Whoah....WTH, this thing has every bell & whistle (I guess). It's a Chrysler mini-van-SUV thing. Electric EVERYTHING. Bells & whistles & stuff. I swear if I look hard enough (not that I'd want to) but there's probably a button for "SPOOGE".
Old September 17th, 2023, 02:20 PM

Mike glad the recovery is going good, John, that small show sure is interesting- sounds like they prolly lost their @ss, expected a better turn out. A shame actually when someone puts in the effort.
Old September 17th, 2023, 03:12 PM

John, there may be a FB car show page in your area. We have one for Michigan to notify people in advance of upcoming shows. Perhaps a note to be sent to them for any future show. Speaking of cars shows, a few pics of the cars at Purestock yesterday. About half of these were in the parking lot. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpcjtTBE5KmzhvGe8
Old September 17th, 2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
John, there may be a FB car show page in your area. We have one for Michigan to notify people in advance of upcoming shows. Perhaps a note to be sent to them for any future show. Speaking of cars shows, a few pics of the cars at Purestock yesterday. About half of these were in the parking lot. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpcjtTBE5KmzhvGe8
Nice Share with the days walk around pictures. Appreciate the post.

Thank you

Keith
Old September 17th, 2023, 04:13 PM

Speaking of cars shows, a few pics of the cars at Purestock yesterday. About half of these were in the parking lot. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpcjtTBE5KmzhvGe8
Dan - Great pictures! I love seeing so much old school muscle, so cool. 😎 Thanks for taking the time and sharing. My favorites are the Orange and Green W-30's, the '69 Hurst Olds, the Aqua GTX, and of course my all time favorite car, the Plymouth Superbird. By chance do you know if the Superbird was a 426 Hemi or a 440 car?

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 17th, 2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old September 17th, 2023, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the pics of the pure stock drags. Sorry I missed it again this year.
Old September 18th, 2023, 03:41 AM

Dan, nice pics. I completely forgot about it! Maybe next year.
Old September 18th, 2023, 05:08 AM

Chris, Football question. What are your thoughts on Coach Prime time? I just watch and interview with him on Sixty Minutes When ax Whose the best college coach? He said I need a mirror Later He seriously praised Saban. For a full time egomaniac to say nice things about someone else [IMHO] says allot
Old September 18th, 2023, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Football question. What are your thoughts on Coach Prime time? I just watch and interview with him on Sixty Minutes When ax Whose the best college coach? He said I need a mirror Later He seriously praised Saban. For a full time egomaniac to say nice things about someone else [IMHO] says allot
Jim - As a Hall of Famer there's no denying he was a great player, but I never cared for his "Flare", although I respected his incredible skills. As you probably remember, my Dad was a HS football coach and he never would have tolerated one of his players showboating like that! Different Era, different generation with very different young men, maybe it takes someone with the personality of Deion to motivate and relate to them? He's certainly doing it at Colorado right now, there's no denying his results so far and I can respect that.
Old September 18th, 2023, 10:11 AM

Hi guys,

I haven't posted any pics of my wife's work in quite awhile. She finished this piece recently that I think is pretty nice. I'm not a fan of the black, but there's no accounting for taste, and believe it or not, that color is "in" right now.

Old September 18th, 2023, 11:08 AM

Odd thing was I saw the flyer there.
Old September 18th, 2023, 11:11 AM

I can't imagine why paint is in favor over good wood finish. I think it is from hipsters. Hipsters are poor, or the image is one of being poor, so "upcycling" is considered cool, and good painting is something anyone can do if they put enough time and care into it; not so with wood finish. So, I blame poor hipsters.

I presume the pieces your wife gets are in poor shape finish wise? If so, and she can make money off it, then good for her.
Old September 18th, 2023, 12:40 PM

I can't imagine why paint is in favor over good wood finish. I think it is from hipsters. Hipsters are poor, or the image is one of being poor, so "upcycling" is considered cool, and good painting is something anyone can do if they put enough time and care into it; not so with wood finish. So, I blame poor hipsters.

I presume the pieces your wife gets are in poor shape finish wise? If so, and she can make money off it, then good for her.
John - I'm right there with ya on the paint vs. natural wood finishes. All my prized pieces passed down to me that my Mom did herself (my siblings don't care for antiques) are all wood finishes.

I don't know if they are "hipsters" or wanna be hipsters, but the younger generations seem to like the painted stuff. By now my wife is very tuned in to what she can pay for something to make a decent profit. Like I mentioned the other day, she just picked up a whole dining room set, table, 6 chairs, china cabinet and serving buffet for free. All she'll have in it is her time and maybe $20 in materials, and she'll probably get $400 - $500 for it.
Old September 18th, 2023, 12:43 PM

Chris, not sure on the Superbird, nothing around it to indicate which engine lurked under the hood.. It had the pistol grip shifted 4 speed with a console, which is uncommon, as most that I have seen are column shifted autos. My favorite was the green '68 Firebird with the white vinyl top and interior, just a nice car. The rallye Red '70 W30 was a 442, but not a W30, as it had a Framingham cowl tag. The '65 black 442 convertible was nice, a four speed, with a dash that looked brand new, must have been restored as it was very well done. The '72 Heavy Chevy was from Montague, which is 20 miles north of here, I have never seen it at any car event around here. Some very nicely restored cars there.
Old September 18th, 2023, 02:41 PM

Chris, not sure on the Superbird, nothing around it to indicate which engine lurked under the hood.. It had the pistol grip shifted 4 speed with a console, which is uncommon, as most that I have seen are column shifted autos.
Dan - Thanks for the response. Nice the Superbird had a 4-speed. Last one I saw this past Spring was a column shift car too and it had the 440 in it. I've never seen one in person with the 426 Hemi in it. There were so many nice and desirable cars there that it's hard to pick a single favorite!
Old September 18th, 2023, 06:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful day here. Supposed to be nice all week. I thought I'd try mowing tomorrow. All I have to do is sit there. I don't want any company spies to come by and see me doing something strenuous.

Chris what's the name of that piece you posted? I've been looking for a piece just like that, oddly enough to try turning into a bathroom vanity. No matter what I put into a search field, nothing like that ever comes up.

Since I've been watching an unusual amount of TV lately I've been watching the we have a set amount of time to destroy this car shows. And of course Foose doesn't disappoint. He took a rare and complete baby Tbird and hacked it all up. Several other shows modify and and change and make their own parts, I don't know why I watch them, I just end up yelling at the TV. Eh, it's something to do. Kindig is about the only show I really like, at least then it's the customer who has the poor choice to hack up his car. Yes I know all of those shows are scripted.

So here is a question. Some years ago I used painters tape to tape off body gaps and the windshield and front vent on the Mercedes, thinking that's where the rain was coming in. Well, it wasn't. Now I want to take the tape off and it is there to stay. What can I use to get this tape off, that won't damage the paint? It's white if that matters.

Okay time for the Beverly Hillbillies. They drive an Oldsmobile. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 18th, 2023, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris what's the name of that piece you posted? I've been looking for a piece just like that, oddly enough to try turning into a bathroom vanity. No matter what I put into a search field, nothing like that ever comes up.

So here is a question. Some years ago I used painters tape to tape off body gaps and the windshield and front vent on the Mercedes, thinking that's where the rain was coming in. Well, it wasn't. Now I want to take the tape off and it is there to stay. What can I use to get this tape off, that won't damage the paint? It's white if that matters.
Mike - That particular piece is a Victorian Age dresser, probably from around 1890 - 1910.

I have read on the internet that Goo Gone is very good for removing painters tape residue without damaging paint.
Here's what it said:
"Is Goo Gone safe for car paint?
Auto owners often ask us: Is Goo Gone safe for car paint? The answer is a resounding yes! From decals and duct tape to that outdated bumper sticker you've been meaning to remove; Goo Gone Automotive Spray Gel offers an easy way to keep your car looking spiffy."

I would wait and see what our resident chemist Norm has to say, but it sounds like Goo Gone would work well.

Old September 18th, 2023, 07:32 PM
Running On Empty

I’d go for it.
FWIW, I looked up the contents via the MSDS. Primarily composed of petroleum distillates (very likely mineral spirits) infused with Lemon & Orange extracts. You could most likely make your own, but it sounds quite promising.
Old September 18th, 2023, 09:08 PM

Norm, since you have your chemistry hat on, what's the recipe for Greek Fire?
Old September 18th, 2023, 09:11 PM

Today’s weather headline.

Old September 19th, 2023, 02:27 AM

The Net is such an interesting place. Yesterday, I made the comment about Operation market Garden, I'm not a military expert but I'm not sending all my tanks up one road. I get back 1] They did and it worked 2] It wasn't using the one road was the problem, they were delayed [ not their fault ]for 35 hours at Nijmegen 3] you need to revise your opinion. I think I I may have found Monty's grandson on line, I'm not arguing with these experts, but I don't call 17,000 causalities and successful plan

Last edited by Jamesbo; September 19th, 2023 at 03:04 AM.
Old September 19th, 2023, 03:18 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, since you have your chemistry hat on, what's the recipe for Greek Fire?
I have no direct knowledge of any recipe for Greek Fire other than what I read on the Internet. I recall seeing it used in movies when catapults slung Greek Fire or flame throwers sprayed Greek Fire. I never really gave much thought to it until now. BTW, while I did study inorganic chemistry, the majority of my academic & applied chemistry involves organic chemistry specifically biochemistry. I just read the Wikepedia version of Greek Fire - rather interesting considering when & how it was developed. A fair amount of conjecture regarding its recipe.
Old September 19th, 2023, 03:35 AM
Running On Empty

Thought things were progressing nicely yesterday until I got "the call" from the service shop ~1:30pm. The RH front axle assembly is worn/stripped pretty bad. Eh, what's another $700 when you're tossing around greenbacks. Argh!!! Heading across the Neuse River via ferry to play some golf and forget about the truck (hopefully) for 4-5 hours.
Old September 19th, 2023, 03:22 PM
Running On Empty

Truck done. Wallet has less mass.

DRAG LINK - Remove & Replace - F250 Super Duty
-Steering Tie Rod End Inner (At Connecting Rod) 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing
-Steering Drag Link At Pitman Arm 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing
BALL JOINT - Remove & Replace - F250 Super Duty
-Ball Joint Front Upper - 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing - LH
-Ball Joint Front Lower - 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing - RH
-Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly Front - LH
-Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly Front - RH
-HUB BEARING
-Disc Brake Pad Set Front - LH
-Disc Brake Pad Set Front - RH
-Disc Brake Rotor Front - LH
-Disc Brake Rotor Front - RH
-Shock Absorber Front - LH
-Shock Absorber Front - RH
-Right Front Axle
-OIL SEAL
-OIL SEAL
Balance/Swap Rear Tires
Remove & Replace Rear Brake Pads & Rotors

-Disc Brake Pad Set Rear - LH
-Disc Brake Pad Set Rear - RH
-Disc Brake Rotor Rear - LH
-Disc Brake Rotor Rear - RH
STABILIZER BAR (FRONT) - REMOVE & REPLACE
-Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bushing Kit Front To Frame
FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT
*****DISCOUNT*****
Military 10.00% off parts; 10.00% off labor

EDIT: $3966.90

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 19th, 2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old September 19th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

EDIT: Nearly forgot - I replaced two front tires LT325/65R18/10 = $860.00
Old September 19th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
EDIT: Nearly forgot - I replaced two front tires LT325/65R18/10 = $860.00
I'm assuming this is on top of the $3966.90. OUCH x 1,000!!!!!
Old September 19th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I'm assuming this is on top of the $3966.90. OUCH x 1,000!!!!!
Of course it is.
Old September 19th, 2023, 05:33 PM

Truck done. Wallet has less mass.

DRAG LINK - Remove & Replace - F250 Super Duty
-Steering Tie Rod End Inner (At Connecting Rod) 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing
-Steering Drag Link At Pitman Arm 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing
BALL JOINT - Remove & Replace - F250 Super Duty
-Ball Joint Front Upper - 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing - LH
-Ball Joint Front Lower - 4WD Includes Gusher Bearing - RH
-Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly Front - LH
-Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly Front - RH
-HUB BEARING
-Disc Brake Pad Set Front - LH
-Disc Brake Pad Set Front - RH
-Disc Brake Rotor Front - LH
-Disc Brake Rotor Front - RH
-Shock Absorber Front - LH
-Shock Absorber Front - RH
-Right Front Axle
-OIL SEAL
-OIL SEAL
Balance/Swap Rear Tires
Remove & Replace Rear Brake Pads & Rotors

-Disc Brake Pad Set Rear - LH
-Disc Brake Pad Set Rear - RH
-Disc Brake Rotor Rear - LH
-Disc Brake Rotor Rear - RH
STABILIZER BAR (FRONT) - REMOVE & REPLACE
-Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bushing Kit Front To Frame
FRONT WHEEL ALIGNMENT
*****DISCOUNT*****
Military 10.00% off parts; 10.00% off labor

EDIT: $3966.90
Sounds like you got a good deal done for the money, mostly labor I bet... I had similar work done on an older F250 Powerstroke 10yrs ago and the parts and labor were like 2400.00 then Norm the 4grand does not sound excessive. Oh well now it's done.
I was a bit surprised how spendy the tires were but the description sounds like they are 10ply. Everything's higher than the ***** on a giraffe these days. Bet she rides like a caddy... enjoy it
Old September 19th, 2023, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Today’s weather headline.

Nice to see you are on a downward trend Kenneth that was a tough row you had to hoe this season. I can't imagine 95 and 97 being cooler.... our low here in wisco this am was 57

Are you fairly close to a place you can escape for a bit for relief, mountains and such
Old September 19th, 2023, 05:51 PM
Running On Empty

You’re correct, Keith. I am not complaining even in the slightest. Yes, tires are 10 ply, tall and wide.
Old September 19th, 2023, 06:04 PM

You’re correct, Keith. I am not complaining even in the slightest. Yes, tires are 10 ply, tall and wide.
Yup tall and wide....Kinda like that German gal that lived with me in the mid 90's
Old September 19th, 2023, 06:50 PM

Momma's Posse - No one gets to intrude on Momma's workout!
Old September 19th, 2023, 08:39 PM

Of course it is.
SHEEEEEEYITTTTT (that damn swear filter can **** off) I've bought cars for less than that.