The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2023, 03:39 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Cool. They're big owls.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 03:57 AM
Running On Empty

Rocky Road for the next 24hrs - 36hrs as TS Sixteen makes a direct hit at my place. Actually very surprised it won't make hurricane status before it arrives as they're predicting strengthening before it makes landfall. Going to be some significant storm surge & waves ~12' - 14'. Arrows point to my place.

Old September 22nd, 2023, 04:03 AM
Running On Empty

Time to close the attic vents & drop down the storm windows. Influenza vaccine appointment @ 11AM.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 04:24 AM

Norm... Did you get your pipe scaffolding down? Good luck with that storm
Old September 22nd, 2023, 04:55 AM
Running On Empty

Ray...Thanks for bringing up the scaffolding. No, I haven't taken down the scaffolding but I should reposition the 2"x12"x10' boards I use for planks. The scaffolding is 7'x5' sections so the scaffolding itself can stay since they're large sturdy sections. The outer bands of Sixteen started to arrive w/in the past hour - beginning to rain and a very slight breeze. Attic vents closed, storm windows in place, now to lay down furniture on front porch and take down the hanging ferns.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 07:09 AM
Running On Empty

The past 2-3 years I've noticed the blower motor on my 2003 F250 only operates on High. I was fortunate to find the issue - the blower motor resistor is DOA. This is an easy fix. Blower motor resistors are readily available for all Ford trucks. Upon removal of my resistor the connector disintegrated in my hands but blower motor resistor pigtail connectors are readily available, also. In case any of you have a Ford & experience the same issue (blower works only in the High position), the fix is to replace the blower motor resistor. Images of my DOA blower resistor & YouTube video.

Old September 22nd, 2023, 07:10 AM

Jim - Glad BAT finally approved you for going ahead with the sale, Good Luck.

Norm - Talk about being directly in the line of fire! Sounds like you're doing all you can do to minimize the impact. Sure hope you don't incur any damage!
Old September 22nd, 2023, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
n case any of you have a Ford & experience the same issue (blower works only in the High position), the fix is to replace the blower motor resistor. Images of my DOA blower resistor & YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/teZwoBltprs?si=yX0-oPrCwEe5s-FU
Thanks Norm! Haven't experienced this on my 2000 F150 yet, but I'm sure the day will come, I'm filing this one away. I'm sure glad the joke that "FORD" is the acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily is way off base, it should be Fix Or Repair Decade. I'd pluck the cash down today in a heartbeat if I could buy another one just like it for what I paid in 2000! That buy was undoubtedly the best vehicle purchase I ever made.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Thanks Norm! Haven't experienced this on my 2000 F150 yet, but I'm sure the day will come, I'm filing this one away. I'm sure glad the joke that "FORD" is the acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily is way off base, it should be Fix Or Repair Decade. I'd pluck the cash down today in a heartbeat if I could buy another one just like it for what I paid in 2000! That buy was undoubtedly the best vehicle purchase I ever made.
Toyotas trash Fords on parts failure rate. The F150 is a better truck than the Tundra, however, in terms of being a truck. Toyota trucks are body on frame cars with beds, they think more about ride than they do about capacity. I own one Ford and one Toyota, after 288k, the Tacoma needs a little clutch linkage help; it's sad when the column shifted Econoline, with a transmission behind you, shifts better than a modern pickup. Ford paint and radios are excellent.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 08:40 AM
Running On Empty

Norm - Talk about being directly in the line of fire! Sounds like you're doing all you can do to minimize the impact. Sure hope you don't incur any damage!
Yes, a direct hit; but, in the grand scheme of things a TS is far better than a hurricane when it's a direct hit.
I just returned from my flu jab. We're socked in now for the duration. Serious rainfall & winds ~35mph - 45mph gusting to ~55mph - 60 mph I'd guess. I had to travel over two bridges which are ~100' above water. During the time I traveled one way over the bridges to get the vaccine then returning from the vaccine (30') weather conditions went South in a hurry. Now we wait. I had less than minutes preparing for this TS but at least I'm set.

I have no complaints about the 2003 F250 diesel tractor beast.

One of my all-time favorite bands. I saw them at Ivanhoe Dude Ranch (1969/70) before their first album release - they were just a regular touring garage band just getting started & I attended the festival driving my 1967 4-4-2. A fitting band for me since the founding members are from Illinois, graduated from Univ of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) the same school I obtained my undergrad degree and Gary Richrath was raised in Peoria, IL where Dad's Mom & sister resided. Made many trips between Univ of Ill & Southern Ill Univ where the other members were raised. A novelty I've owned three R.E.O (so-to-speak) vehicles the past 50+ years.

Old September 22nd, 2023, 08:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Toyotas trash Fords on parts failure rate. The F150 is a better truck than the Tundra, however, in terms of being a truck. Toyota trucks are body on frame cars with beds, they think more about ride than they do about capacity. I own one Ford and one Toyota, after 288k, the Tacoma needs a little clutch linkage help; it's sad when the column shifted Econoline, with a transmission behind you, shifts better than a modern pickup. Ford paint and radios are excellent.
The bumper, and all chrome, on my diesel tractor beast are exceptional - not one single blemish, flaking or discoloration on any chrome. The body metal including paint is the best I've witnessed on any vehicle I've owned.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 10:37 AM

The bumper, and all chrome, on my diesel tractor beast are exceptional - not one single blemish, flaking or discoloration on any chrome. The body metal including paint is the best I've witnessed on any vehicle I've owned.
I agree Norm. My truck has sat outside it's entire life. The first 10-years at least it was under a carport, the last 13-years in the driveway since I moved here after my divorce. I have been negligent in the washing/waxing of it these last 13-years, so I am literally amazed at how well it's held up. The emerging rust spots are at the bottom sides of the rear quarters/bed, front and rear on each side, which you can easily see in the pics. The interior of the bed is pristine, I've pulled the heavy duty bedliner back to check. You'd think the bedliner would trap moisture under there, but apparently it hasn't. The interior has held up very well too and looks almost like new. Took these pics today.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 22nd, 2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 12:42 PM

John - As demonstrated in your images the system was converted from R12>R134 as evidenced by the R12>R134 adapters. It appears to be an A6 compressor, it's most likely compatible with R134. The fact it states 4 lbs is the correct range for R134 as R12 used something closer to 8 lbs. Since you have no history of the conversion & what has been "properly" converted from R12>R134 (a professional conversion would have a very clear label with the date of the conversion), my suggestion is you take it to an AC shop and have them perform a proper recharge. It's almost impossible to make assumptions regarding the POA & the state of the system. An AC shop will perform a complete evacuation & recharge and they can evaluate. I initially thought you had an R12 system as you stated:

Kenneth knows AC systems quite well. See what Kenneth has to say. I rebuilt the entire R134 system on my 2003 F250 last year, which included replacing evaporator, compressor, etc. I did this myself by evacuating the system and a complete recharge with gauges. You don't want to over pressurize the system. I also performed a complete recharge of my '71 CS but that system was clearly labeled with date of R12>R134 conversion. You're in the "gray" zone & I'd suggest taking it to a good AC shop - $$ well spent.
Norm, from what I recall 4 lbs is the correct R-12 charge. R-134 should use around 75% of the specified R-12 amount, but monitoring the high and low side pressures while charging is the way to know for certain the proper amount of refrigerant has been installed.

Originally Posted by Koda
Like I said, I know a guy with a machine. Please understand, I know how to work an R134A system, my ignorance was simply the R12 connections.
John, the only difference between the two is the R-134A connections use the "quick connect" snap on fittings whereas the R-12 uses screw on fittings. So if you were to charge an R-12 system you simply screw the hoses to the vehicle's fittings just as you would do with an air hose on a bike tire.

Last edited by Fun71; September 22nd, 2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 12:48 PM
Running On Empty

They upgraded the storm from cyclone Sixteen to TS Ophelia in the past two hours. Rain is coming down in sheets while Lake Norman forms in my backyard. SOS...SOS
Old September 22nd, 2023, 03:52 PM

Hunky down Norm

Beautiful day here. Took das boat out looking for nick
He's still busy. 😠 made some mayonnaise for some chunky chicken salad with fresh chives
sorry pictures won't load.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Thanks. Sat in the steaming hot whirlpool for ~1 hr. Scheduled SARS-CoV-2 immunization (2 Oct 2023). No Nick, eh? I forgot you make your own mayonnaise - sounds delicious. I think you use Duke's if not using your own. I like Duke's, also.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 05:02 PM

Jim - Thanks. Sat in the steaming hot whirlpool for ~1 hr. Scheduled SARS-CoV-2 immunization (2 Oct 2023). No Nick, eh? I forgot you make your own mayonnaise - sounds delicious. I think you use Duke's if not using your own. I like Duke's, also.
It's often funny how much the habits or traditions of your youth influence what you like as an adult. Mom made tater salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, all with Miracle Whip. A jar of Mayonnaise was never in the fridge. I do not like the taste of Mayonaise, it seems too rich and greasy to me, I much prefer Miracle Whip to this day.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 05:11 PM
Running On Empty

My Mom made all the salads you named w/ Miracle Whip. Today, I use Duke's on almost everything EXCEPT for one type sandwich. I use Miracle Whip on all my BLT on toast sandwiches - nothing better. It has that 'tang' you don't find in other types of mayonnaise.
Old September 22nd, 2023, 05:19 PM

Norm - You just shot the premise of my post right in the ****! Blows my mind you switched to Mayonnaise for just about everything! So much for my deep thinking! 🤔
Old September 22nd, 2023, 06:49 PM
Running On Empty

Currently, it's exactly like the calm before the storm. The center of Ophelia is ~90 miles directly South. NOAA-NHC issued the latest guidance suggesting Ophelia may gain strength reaching hurricane status just prior to arrival - meaning w/in the next 7hrs - 8hrs. It's moving directly North ~12mph which places landfall ~3AM this morning. Yeah, the winds are going to increase somewhat to achieve hurricane status but it's always the storm surge which accounts for the greatest destruction/damage. Current pressure = 29.1165633" (normal pressure = 29.92") so it isn't packing much of a punch. I don't foresee anything serious other than minor tree limbs/debris. Storm surge is expected to be ~4' - 8' depending on location - I'm expecting it to be close to 4' - 5' storm surge around my location. Waves are expected to reach 14' in height.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 04:41 AM

Norm, I have exactly that problem on my 06 plow truck and I think the 09 f150. Shortly after I got the plow truck I went to a salvage yard and checked every Ford in the yard and found they all were melted and ruined. I was going to grab a used resister there. So I ordered one on Rockauto. When it came I took mine apart and yep all melted . I replaced each end with a crimp connector and the new resistor. Worked great- now I notice it all has quit except for high- I think I will leave it. Oh I did find you can get the plug connector to go on the resistor which would be the right way to do it. I hope you weather the storm OK. You guys talking about Mayonnaise/ Miracle Whip....My Mom was raised in MIch and my Dad in southern Illinois. She liked MC- Dad liked Mayo. So we had both I like them both. Funny my old high school buddy ate lunch with us the other day and wife asked if he wanted MW or Mayo- he said what? there is no difference... Sure is....
Old September 23rd, 2023, 04:55 AM

My mother also used Miracle whip. Me? Never except on Waldorf salad. ( mother made it often) i only make homemade mayo for chicken salad. I like Duke's also otherwise
Old September 23rd, 2023, 06:07 AM
Running On Empty

I haven't been outdoors. The backyard has a small lake & small tree limbs are strewn everywhere. Front porch furniture which I laid down has shifted some. I was up at 3AM for ~30 minutes & it appeared the center (dead calm) was directly over the town then the winds began to increase again as the center moved through the area. We'll see about the roofing shingles/tabs. I re-cemented the last ones which were broken off & cemented ~100 tabs w/ additional cement last week. That's basically typical roofing maintenance for asphalt shingles over the lifespan of shingles. The adhesive applied at factories doesn't always remain adhesive for shingle life expectancy. Add to it the fact I'm in a hurricane prone zone and you need to stay on top of the game. No major damage, no power outages - several days of cleanup appears to be the worst of it.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 06:21 AM

Good News Norm
Old September 23rd, 2023, 06:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Good News Norm
Indeed. Thanks, Keith.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 06:40 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I had been thinking the blower box needed significant cleaning on the F250 until I heard the mechanic who did the front-end work say he thought the resistor on the blower motor needed replacing as it wasn't blowing in any position other than High. That was the first time (last week) I even knew there was a blower motor resistor. Both a new resistor & new pigtail connector arrive tomorrow from Amazon.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 11:09 AM
Running On Empty

Two shingle tabs broken/missing. One found in my yard the other in neighbor’s yard. A third tab torn off which remains on roof. Happy scaffolding remains erected for more roof work. Cleanup has begun, feet are soaked time for a break.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 02:05 PM

Two shingle tabs broken/missing. One found in my yard the other in neighbor’s yard. A third tab torn off which remains on roof. Happy scaffolding remains erected for more roof work. Cleanup has begun, feet are soaked time for a break.
Norm - Glad the damage appears minimal! 😊
Old September 23rd, 2023, 02:09 PM

Went to a car show only about 10-miles from me today. Very good day, the picture's worth a thousand words!

Old September 23rd, 2023, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Went to a car show only about 10-miles from me today. Very good day, the picture's worth a thousand words!
Chris - Congrats.
Old September 23rd, 2023, 06:06 PM

Chris - Congrats.
Thanks Norm, much appreciated!
Old September 24th, 2023, 03:13 AM

Thats good new Norm. I always found it best to repair damaged shingles early in the morning when its cooler. Helps to break the seal from that tar strip without damaging shingle. When hot, it is glued to next shingle pretty good, and near impossible to remove without damage.
Old September 24th, 2023, 03:19 AM
Running On Empty

Ray - Great idea. Thanks.
Old September 24th, 2023, 04:25 AM

Good morning guys,
Our St. Louis Archway Old's Club's, All Oldsmobile Show is today. The weather is going to be iffy with about a 30% chance of showers after noon. Hopefully we'll stay dry. Hope you all have a great day!
Old September 24th, 2023, 05:41 AM

Roll Tide
Old September 24th, 2023, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

Chick Peas in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Old September 24th, 2023, 03:04 PM

Chris, congrats on the Best of Show.
Old September 24th, 2023, 03:38 PM

Chick Peas in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Norm, Looks Great What is the cracker like things stuck in the sides? Do you know the difference between parsley and *****? No body eats parsley
Old September 24th, 2023, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, congrats on the Best of Show.
Thanks Dan, much appreciated!
Old September 24th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
What is the cracker like things stuck in the sides?
Jim - Flatbread. Flatbread is unleavened while Pita Bread is slightly leavened.